The Cork Examiner, 5 May 1864
(Before Messrs. A. F. M'NAMARA and CRONIN, R.M.)
   JANE BRISCOE, wife of an artilleryman stationed at Ballincollig, was charged with having stolen a pair of ladies boots, value 6s. 6d., from the establishment of the Queen's Old Castle Company. She was convicted and sentenced to a month's imprisonment.
   A woman named Ellen Joyce was sentenced to fourteen days imprisonment, in default of finding bail for her future good conduct, for having abused and threatened Mr. J. Ward of Little John Street, last night.
   John Ahern, a hackney-car driver, was brought forward in custody charged with the larceny of a horse and car belonging to John O'Callaghan. It appeared that the prisoner entered Callaghan's [sic] service as a driver on Sunday week, and was sent out in charge of a horse and car on Monday morning. He returned on Monday evening under the influence of drink, and stated that he had driven some gentlemen to the Dripsey races, but they had not paid him. This statement was subsequently ascertained to be false. On Tuesday morning he took out the horse and car again, and did not return. On making inquiries Callaghan found that the prisoner had pawned the horse and car for 2s. in Barrack-street, and previously he had, in a drunken fit, attempted to leap the horse over a ditch and to drive him across some fields. There was at present a considerable sum due on the horse and car for maintenance, &c.
   Mr. Cronin said he did not think the charge of larceny could be sustained as the property had been entrusted to the prisoner's care.
   Mr. Blake, who appeared for the prosecution, said the prisoner might be tried, with his own consent, on a charge of misconduct.
   The prisoner said he was willing to have the case decided at once.
   Evidence having been given, proving the facts as stated above, Mr. Blake said he was employed in this case by the body of car owners, who wanted to protect themselves against ill-conducted drivers, and he was authorised to represent the hardship of the course occasionally pursued by the bench in giving time to car drivers to pay fines inflicted on them. The consequence of this was that the drivers overworked their horses to get extra fares to pay the fines, and therefore the persons really punished were the car owners.
   Mr. Cronin said the bench should decide every case on its own merits, but they would keep Mr. Blake's representations in view.
   The prisoner was fined £2, or a month's imprisonment in default of payment.

   CRUEL CARELESSNESS.—On Monday an inquest was held at the Black Horse, Clifton, near Halifax on the body of Mrs. Ellen Bottomley, wife of Joseph Bottomley, a mason, whose death was caused under most painful circumstances. On Sunday afternoon Mr. Bottomley had loaded his gun, intending to shoot a rat ; after loading it he put a cap on, and placed it on the bed in another room. At the same time a conversation was going on in the house about his daughter being a crack shot, her father having been heard to say that he would match his daughter Elizabeth to shoot with cups. Elizabeth immediately afterwards went into the parlour to dress her hair, returning with the gun in her hand, but ignorant that it was loaded. At that time Mrs. Bottomley was standing by the fire, there being also two young women present in the room. Elizabeth, who is 19 years of age, said to her mother, “I'll show you how to do it.” At the same instant the gun went off and Mrs. Bottomley fell dead. The shot entered the left side of her head, and but barely penetrated the opposite side. The young girl looked aghast for a moment, then ran out of the house screaming. Such was the effect on the poor girl that she had to be attended all night, being almost frantic. The jury returned a verdict of “Accidental Death.” —Manchester Courier.

   PLYMOUTH, MAY 4TH.—The Dover Castle, from Melbourne on 4th of Feb., passed this port to-day. She brings 110 passengers, 17,000 oz. of gold, and a cargo of wool, tallow and leather. She landed four passengers here.

   SOUTHAMPTON, MAY 5.—The Royal mail steamer Magdalena, with the above mails has arrived. She brings £12,297 in specie, three parcels of diamonds, and 1,869 packages of general merchandise. On the 1st of May, off the Tagus, the Magdalena spoke the Duke of Sutherland's yacht Undine steering in a south-easterly direction. The revolution in the Banda Oriental continues. Currency had slightly improved since the departure of the French mails.

   On the 3rd inst., at Bayswater-terrace, Kingstown, the wife of George Meyler, Esq., late Captain 65th Regiment, of a daughter.
   On the 3rd instant, at Bray, the wife of Q. J. Brownrigg, Esq., of a son.
   May 1, at Bray Head, the wife of Charles Putland, Esq., of a son, still-born.
   May 1, at Barrow View House, Carlow, the wife of George Percival Wilson, Esq., of a son.

   April 27, at Pau, John O'Byrne, Esq., of Corville, Roscrea, to Mary Eleanore, youngest daughter of Baron de Hubner, of Vienna, late Austrian Ambassador at Paris.

   On this morning, at her residence, 20, Peter-street, in the 43rd year of her age, after a long and tedious illness which she bore with Christian resignation, Eliza, the beloved wife of Mr. John Dwyer.
   On Wednesday, the 4th inst., at Bandon, Thomas, aged 5 years and 7 months, eldest son of Thomas Fuller, Esq., solicitor.
   On the 4th inst., at Ventnor Cottage, Rathmines, Dublin, the wife of William Cahill, Esq., aged 31 years.
   May 8, aged nearly two years, Mary, the beloved and only child of William Oliver Barker, M. D., 6 Gardiner's-row, Dublin.
   April 30, at Fort Eyre, the Rev. Edward Eyre Maunsell, rector of Oranmore and Ballinacourty.

BEGS to return his sincere thanks to his numerous Customers for their kind patronage during his term of 30 years in business, and to announce his REMOVAL to No. 7, WINTHROP-STREET (lately occupied by Mr. HENRY SHARP), where he intends to carry on the Wholesale Wine, Spirit, and Mineral Water business.
   C. S. trusts he will continue to merit the same kind patronage as heretofore.

TENDERS for the GREASE of the BUTTER EXCHANGE, for Twelve Months, at per cwt., will be received by the secretary of the COMMITTEE of MERCHANTS, at his office, BUTTER EXCHANGE, on or before TUESDAY, 10th MAY Inst.
                  By Order,
                                        JOHN EGAN, Secretary.

Second Edition, carefully Revised, Price 1s.
CORPULENCE, its Diminution and Care, without Injury to Health, with remarks upon the various maladies which may be produced by too great obesity, by JOHN HARVEY, M. D. London :—SMITH and Co., 52, Long Acre.
   “Corpulence, itself a disease, is sure to become the too faithful ally of disease ; it is very rare to see a corpulent man grow old.”—Court Journal.

(From the Correspondent of the Morning News.)
   DUNDRUM, TUESDAY.—The funeral of Sir Thomas Judkin Fitzgerald, who, as your readers are aware, put an end to his existence by drowning himself in the Suir on the 26th ult., took place in Golden Vale on yesterday. On the arrival of the body at the grave-yard, an extraordinary scene was witnessed. The people who had collected at the funeral from the surrounding country refused, amidst the greatest excitement, to allow the body to be deposited in the intended place, declaring that they would never allow the ashes of such a man to mingle with the dust of their ancestors. That a serious riot did not take place, is entirely due to the exertions of the Rev. Mr. Ryan, P.P., who succeeded, to some extent, in calming the popular excitement, and by whose influence the people were prevented from carrying out their freely expressed intentions. That a disturbance had been anticipated was fully proved by the presence of a large force of police, who were thus forced to protect, even in death, the body of one who in life had been regarded with no very affectionate feelings by the people amongst whom he lived. The history of the Fitzgerald family, with which many of your readers must be acquainted, fully accounts for the state of public feeling here. The grandfather of the late Sir Thomas acquired an unenviable notoriety in '98 by his cruelties to the insurgents, which obtained for him the sobriquet of “the Flogger,” by which he was still remembered in Tipperary. His son, Sir Thomas Fitzgerald, was lost coming from Liverpool a few years ago in the steamer Nimrod.¹ The fate of Sir Thomas is too recent to need allusion, but it may be worth while to remark that the misfortunes of the family, which are regarded here in the light of Divine judgments, do not end with the tragedy in the Suir. A few years ago a young son of the unfortunate suicide's hung himself by means of a nail fixed in a wall and a piece of cord. According to the popular version of the affair, the child was engaged at the time in showing to his young sister and brother how his grandpa (the Flogger) used to hang the Croppies in '98. Considerable dissatisfaction has been created down here by the verdict of the coroner's jury on the body of Sir Thomas, the general impression being that a verdict of felo de se² should have been returned.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 9 May 1864
   We are happy to learn, by a letter which has been received by the Drogheda Steamship Company from the Commander of the Leinster Lass steamer, that the particulars of the accident which we published yesterday were in some important points innaccurate, and in its apprehended results very much exaggerated. The pleasure we feel in at once correcting any erroneous statements we may have unintentionally given publicity to is, on this occasion, very much enhanced by the fact that, instead of having to deplore the loss of fifty fellow-creatures, we are enabled, through the courtesy of the respected Secretary of the Drogheda Steamship Company, to state, that after the most particular inquiry and examination of the number of “missing” passengers is happily limited to three—an announcement, we are sure, which will be received with sincere satisfaction by the public, whose worst apprehensions were most unnecessarily excited by our correspondent. The authentic facts of the occurrence appeared to be these—At two o'clock the accident occurred by the breaking of the “beam,” and not the piston, as we stated, which made the breach in the bottom of the vessel of about two feet in extent, but fortunately none of the crew in the engine-room were injured, and the water did not rise to mid decks before the screw steamer Torch bore down and rendered effectual assistance, by taking on board all the passengers, and getting the disabled steamer in tow. It was three o'clock when the Torch took the Lass in charge, and they both arrived safely in Holyhead harbour in about three hours after. The entire number of passengers on board the Leinster Lass, when she left Drogheda, was only 134, not between 250 and 300, as was innacurately stated yesterday ; and on arriving at Holyhead it was found that there were 131 of these present, so it is evident that but three were wanting to fill up the number the Leinster Lass had on board when she slipped her moorings in the Boyne. And those three, it is thought, were lost owing to their having got into one of the boats contrary to the positive directions of the captain. Soon after those 131 passengers were landed at Holyhead the officers of the Drogheda Company with commendable promptitude, made all the necessary arrangements for their immediate transmission, and they were forwarded by the first train which left Holyhead for their destination, Liverpool, together with their luggage, none of which we understand sustained any injury. The Drogheda Steamship Company have acted on this occasion with a liberality and consideration in perfect harmony with that high reputation which it has ever upheld. Of the conduct of the commander of the Leinster Lass, Captain Toker, it is unnecessary for us to speak. In the very critical position he was placed by the occurrence, we have been informed he acted with an amount of judgment, coolness, and firmness for which he is already favourably known ; and to Captain Crosbie, of the Torch, much praise and commendation are due for the very valuable, prompt, and efficient assistance he rendered on the occasion. On the whole we may, now that we have before us the authentic account of the mishap, congratulate the public and the Drogheda Steamship Company that an accident, which at first created much alarm and apprehension, and which might have been accompanied with the most melancholy consequences, has been attended with, comparatively speaking, unimportant results. We, at the same time, have to express to the one and to the other our very sincere regret in having been the means of exciting unnecessary fears, but we are confident both will at once acquit us of having done so intentionally.—Freeman.
(Before Messrs. W. J. SHAW and CRONIN, R.M.)
A NUMBER of persons were fined sums varying from 2 s 6d. to 5s. for leaving their dogs at large in the streets without log or muzzle.
   A man named Twomey, a fisherman, prosecuted four other fishermen, under the Fishing Act, for having taken away his boat without his consent, and for having used it for the purpose of fishing at a prohibited time.
   Mr. Wallis, who appeared for the complainant, stated that on the morning of Saturday, 2nd April, the defendants were fishing at a prohibited hour above the weir on the Lee. They were using the complainant's boat, which was unmarked, and by this means they thought they would elude detection. They were prosecuted at the Blarney Petty Sessions and were fined large penalties, the boat being forfeited. They were now prosecuted under the 72nd section of the 5th and 6th Vic., cap. 106, for having used the complainant's boat, which was unmarked.
   Mr. Blake, who appeared for the defendant, stated that the complainant had accepted compensation for the loss of his boat and that he could not now proceed with the charge. The defendant had been already severely punished, and if the bench thought there was any case made out he would submit that they ought not inflict more than the mitigated penalty which was 6d.
   After considerable discussion as to whether the charge could be sustained under the section of the act quoted, Mr. Wallis said that he would have no objection to have the mitigated penalty imposed, if costs were paid.
   Mr. Wallis said that Mr. Carleton offered to reduce the penalty to £15 if it were paid.
   The complainant was sworn and stated that the defendant had taken his boat without his knowledge. The boat was worth 50s.
   On cross-examination by Mr. Blake the witness stated that the defendants had given him 10s. compensation, and had offered him one of their own boats, which was worth £4.
   The case was dismissed on the merits.
   Michael Ahern, publican, Quarry road, was fined £1 for having had persons drinking in his place of business at two o'clock on last Sunday morning.
   Margaret Flynn, a sheebeen-house keeper, living in Half Moon-street, was sentenced to a month's imprisonment for having had a number of persons, prostitutes and others, drinking in her house during a night in last week.
   The husband of the defendant, who is a billiard- marker stated that it was against his will that his wife kept the house, that she was not living with him, and that when he went there to remonstrate some time ago he was nearly killed by a blow of a stone. He also complained that the watchman of the place, Doyle, had threatened to get a person to assault him when he asked him to arrest some persons coming out of the house.
   The bench advised Flynn to swear an information against Doyle.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 10 May 1864
   LIMERICK, MONDAY.—This day the well disposed members of society have experienced another “sensation” shock by the announcement of a diabolical attempt at assassination, which was made yesterday upon a farmer, named Starkey, when returning home from Askeaton chapel, upon a car, accompanied by his wife, between one and two o'clock in the day. It appears they had not proceeded far outside the village when a shot was fired from nehind a ditch, but fortunately without taking effect, as Starkey saw the intending assassin, whose face was blackened, level the gun, upon which he flung himself back in the car, and thus preserved his life. When the shot was fired Starkey is said to have jumped over the ditch and engaged in combat with the ruffian, who, however, escaped. The police were promptly on the spot, and from a description given by Starkey, two persons were soon after arrested. Starkey is land agent to the Messrs. Murphy, of Cork. A preliminary investigation is being held at Askeaton by the magistrates this day, which Mr. Hill, County Inspector, left Limerick to attend. The spirit of agrarianism for which our county was remarkable about this period in 1862, when Mr. Fitzgerald was so barbariously murdered near his residence at Kilmallock, seems to have revived, as at the petty sessions held at the latter place, on Friday last, two men (farmers) named Nunan, were committed to the county jail for nine months, in default of bail, for threatening to procure the assassination of a certain landed proprietor.
   LIMERICK, MONDAY MORNING.—A report has reached this city this morning of a daring attempt to take the life of Mr. Starkey, sub-agent to the Messrs. Murphy, of Cork, on yesterday. As he was returning from chapel with his wife, one of two men fired at him, but fortunately missed him. It is also reported that two men have been arrested by the police on suspicion.—Freeman.

   The following appointments were made on Saturday at the Admiralty :—Lieut. H. S. S. Brand, to the Galatea ; Lieut. R. B. Lambert, to the Rattlesnake ; Lieut. A. J. Errington and Lieut. the Hon. M. F. Murray to the Wolverine ; Lieut. J. S. Eaton and Lieut. H. C. Wallis, to the Enterprise ; W. J. Cunningham, master, to the Assurance ; Adolphus De G. Sutton, master, to the Wolverene ; H. Aguilar, master, to the Enterprise ; F. M. Rayner, staff surgeon, to the Eagle ; George D. Maclaren, staff surgeon, to the St. Vincent ; Robert Deveson, paymaster, to the Wolverene ; M. M. Magrath and J. M. Hollingsworth, assistant surgeons, additional to the Euryalus ; W. W. Murly, assistant paymaster, to the Wolverene ; H. C. Jones, engineer, to the Enterprise ; J. M'Laren, first-class assistant engineer, to the Salamis ; W. Wallace, first-class assistant engineer, to the Enterprise ; J. A. Cawley, second-class assistant engineer, to the Enterprise ; Thomas E. Semmens, clerk, to the Wolverene ; and Charles Topping, assistant clerk, to the Wolverene.

   THE recruits of the Royal Cork City Artillery will assemble for drill at Fort Elizabeth, Cork, on the 19th inst., and the training of the regiment will commence on the 2nd June next, at Kinsale.

   TRANSMISSION OF CONVICTS.—A number of convicts who arrived from Mountjoy Prison on yesterday were transferred to Spike Island, under the direction of Head-Constable Mills and a party of constabulary, and ten prisoners from Spike were sent to Smithfield and Mountjoy.

   ALLEGED ROBBERY.—At the Police Office, to-day, Detective Carson brought up a man whom he arrested last night on suspicion of being one Alexander Cashel, who is charged with stealing £53 from James Lloyd, of Wexford. The prisoner, who gave his name as John Murphy, was remanded for Lloyd's appearance.

   STOCKPORT MONDAY.—Mr. Watkins, Liberal, was duly returned this morning, for the borough of Stockport, without opposition.
(By Magnetic Telegraph.)
May 10th, 1864—Wind N. ; strong breeze.
   ARRIVEDManita, from Liverpool to Spain, with damage to foreyard ; Widgeon, from Trinidad ; Blanche, from Gaboon River Ca.
   SAILEDCarlino, for Limerick.
   ARRIVEDEmerald, from Tonsberg.

   BELFAST MONDAY.—The Pride, of Newry, 36 tons register, with a cargo of coals from Troon to Dundalk, sunk this morning off Grey Point ; crew saved.

   This morning, at his residence, No. 10, George's-quay, the wife of Mr. George Coghlan, late of Limerick, of a daughter.
   On the 7th inst., at 75, Stephen's-green, the Hon. Mrs. Robt. Handcock, of a daughter.
   On the 6th inst., at Mount Eagle, Cabra, the wife of Mr. O. E. Consedine, of a daughter.
   May 6, at the National Bank House, Kilkenny, the wife of James Morris, Esq., Manager, of a son.
   May 6, Brighton-ville, Upper Rathmines, the wife of G. I. Underwood, Esq., of a daughter.
   May 5, at Charlemont-avenue, Kingstown, the wife of Hugh Pollen, Esq., of a son.

   April 24, at the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Marlborough-street, Dublin, by the Rev. W. Purcell, Peter Smyth, Little-green, to Fannie, youngest daughter of Mr. Wm. Hill, East Arran-street, Dublin.
   May 3, at Ryde, John Ribton Garstin, Esq., only son of Wm. Garstin, Esq., of Merrion-street, Dublin, to Mary Martha Toone, only daughter of the late James Andrew Durham, Esq., Elm Lodge, Hampton-on-Thames.

   On the 5th inst., Mrs. Ellen Sullivan, of Queen's-square, Fermoy, sincerely and deservedly regretted. May she rest in peace.
   May 8, at Lower Leeson-street, Dublin, Bridget Louisa, wife of the late Eddmond Taaffe, Esq.—R.I.P.
   On the 29th of March, at the residence of her brother, Robert T. Crossley, Esq., Bombay, Jane, second daughter of the late Robert Crossley, Esq., Indiaville, Sandymount, Dublin.
   May 7, at his residence, 19, Leinster-square, Rathmines, after a short illness, Nicholas Sinnott, Esq., in his 36th year. 
   May 7, at her residence, Baldoyle, Mrs. Mary Fitzsimon, aged 66 years.
   May 6, Margaret, the beloved wife of J. J. O'Shea, Esq., 6, Lower Gardiner-street, Dublin.—R.I.P.
   May 7, at 20, Queen's-terrace, Dublin, Mrs. John Perrin, aged 74 years.
   May 7, at 8, Upper Erne-street, Dublin, aged 22 years, after giving birth to a daughter, Bridget, the beloved wife of Mr. D. Storey.—R.I.P.
   On the 7th inst., at Castlewood-avenue, Rathmines, Eliza, widow of the late Captain Mockler, of the Royal Meath Regiment of Militia, and of Philistown, Trim, in the county of Meath.
   On the 8th inst., at 28, Denmark-street, Dublin, Miss Hannah Dodwell Burne, daughter of Edw. Godfrey Burne, Esq., of Burnbrook, county of Roscommon, and grandniece of Sir Malby Crofton, county of Sligo.

   ANOTHER MURDER IN MARYLEBONE.—John Eames, who was stabbed by a labourer named Timothy Murphy on the 19th of April, and for which offence the latter now stands remanded, died at St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington, on Saturday. On the day the affair happened Eames went to the Brazen Head public-house, Lisson-street, and there saw the prisoner whom he knew, but with whom he had never quarrelled. While Eames was at the bar Murphy pulled out a knife, which he sharpened on his boot, and exclaimed, “I'll run it in,” but did not mention any name. Murphy left the place, and was followed by Eames, who said, “Did you mean that knife for me?” The prisoner replied, “Yes, or anybody else who comes near me.” He then opened the weapon and stabbed Eames in the lower part of the stomach. The wounded man was conveyed to the hospital, where he died as stated.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 17 May 1864
   SHOCKING ACCIDENTS.—Mr. Humphreys, Middlesex coroner, held an inquest at the London Hospital on Thursday evening, respecting the death of Anna Horseley Meadows, aged eighteen years. Mr. Robert Lindley, of Balham Road, Dalston, said that deceased was his servant. On the morning of Monday he was in the kitchen, and he heard her shriek out. He ran down and met her coming up the stairs, in flames, from head to foot. With great difficulty he got the fire out, and he then took her to the hospital in a cab. It appeared that she had been arranging her hair at a glass over the mantelshelf, that her dress got in between the bars, and so became ignited ; but she said she was not aware of what had occurred until the whole circumference of the dress was in a blaze. She wore a large stiffened petticoat, for the purpose of distending her dress. After lingering at the hospital in great agony, she died in consequence of her injuries. The jury returned a verdict of “Accidental death.”—On Thursday evening another distressing accident happened through crinoline. Mrs. Hewlett, residing at Brompton, while sitting with an unmarried daughter in a back parlour, desired her to reach some article from the mantelshelf. Whilst Miss Hewlett was doing so her dress became ignited, and she was shockingly burnt. Mrs. Hewlett, who ran to her daughter's assistance, was also severely injured.
   THE DUKE OF NEWCASTLE.—His grace has greatly improved in health, and during Friday and Saturday took carriage airings.
   HOIST WITH HIS OWN PETARD.—One of the most curious accidents of the war is that by which Captain Glusher [sic], of the gunboat Miami, has met his death at Plymouth, North Carolina. As he saw the Confederate ram approaching—the Albermale, for that is its name— he sighted the large gun himself, and stood by as she was fired. The ironclad was only half a length from him then. The shell struck the roof of the ram, rebounded, and hit Captain Flusher [sic]³, exploding and killing him instantly. In fact, he was almost torn to pieces. This ram is accompanied by a formidable water battery, securely protected by cotton bales, behind which artillery and small arms can be securely used. The name of the satellite is the Cotton Plant.
   A GREAT FAMILY AFFLICTION.—The obituary of The Times this morning contains the following sad announcement :—“On the 2d inst., Mary, infant daughter of the Rev. Edward Owen, incumbent of Llandrygan ; on the 5th, Edmund, infant son of the abovenamed ; on the 6th, the Rev. Edward Owen, incumbent of Bodwrog and Llandrygan, late fellow of Jesus College, Oxford ; and on the 8th Anne, the wife of the abovenamed Rev. E. Owen.”

   The ladies of the Charitable Clothing Society return their most respectful thanks to the Very Rev. the Dean, for his kind donation of £1, per Mrs. Mahony.
   £1 (a thank-offering to the North Charitable Infirmary) from an elderly lady, per Dr. Samuel Hobart.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 18 May 1864
   TELEGRAPH TO AMERICA.—The necessary arrangements for another attempt to lay a submarine telegraph between Ireland and North America have been made, and the Atlantic Telegraph Company are more sanguine than ever that the experiment to be undertaken in the spring of 1865 will be a complete success. By the time that the Atlantic Telegraph Company is ready for its grand enterprise a second and entirely different line of telegraphic communication between Europe and America will approach, if not reach, its completion. This is the line running across Siberia, thence connecting with Russian America, thence passing through British Columbia, and ultimately reaching our Pacific States. The most difficult portion of this telegraph, that through Siberia, is now, according to a recent despatch, completed as far as Irkutsk, the capital of Eastern Siberia. Mr. Collins, a citizen of the United States, to whom the Russian Government has given for a period of 36 years the exclusive right of working this telegraph through the Russian dominions, has now obtained from the British Government the right of way through British Columbia. The Western Union Telegraph Company of the United States are prepared to assume the construction of the line, and capitalists are ready to supply the money for carrying out the undertaking. It is intended to continue the telegraph northward along the western coast of British America to Behring's Straits, which will be crossed by a submarine cable 40 miles long, thence along the coast of Arctic Russia to the mouth of the Amoor River, at which point the Russian government have agreed to meet the line and connect it to their own. The new line will not be far from 4,200 miles in extent, and, when completed, it will unite Europe, Asia, and America, principally by land. New York Tribune.
   THE CASE OF THE SAXON.—There is a navy court- martial in session at the Philadelphia Navy yard for the trial of Acting-master Charles Danenhower, of the United States' navy, upon a charge of murder on the high seas, in shooting James Gray, mate of the British bark Saxon, in October last, off the coast of Africa. The charges are preferred by Mr. Seward, Secretary of State, upon the information of Lord Lyons, the British Minister. The case was submitted to a court of inquiry, after the return of the Vanderbilt, on which the accused was serving, and he was fully exonerated from blame, and justified for the act, and the finding, it was understood was approved by the Secretary of the Navy. His Lordship, the British Minister, not being satisfied with the result of the proceedings, has induced the Government to convene a court-martial for the trial of Mr. Danenhower, and the case is, as we have said, in process of trial.—New York Herald.
   A STEEPLE CHASE BY MOONLIGHT.—DUNDALK, MONDAY.—Last night, immediately after the clock struck twelve, several officers of the gallant 4th Dragoon Guards, stationed here, started off for Dowdallhill Race Course, to witness a moonlight steeplechase of three miles, which Lieutenant Farquhar undertook to perform with his favourite race mare, Lady Annie. The night was beauifully fine, and the “drizzling moonbeam's dusky light” afforded a shadowy view of the intrepid rider, as he went over hedge, ditch, and drain in his perilous undertaking. To the astonishment of all who had the pleasure of witnessing this novel and dangerous ride, Lieutenant Farquhar came unscathed, and had 15 minutes to spare, neither he nor his faithful nag being much the worse of their midnight steeplechase. I understand the chances were considered so much against the gallant rider, that several bets were offered, by which he netted £100. The race was an impromptu one, and arose at the mess-table a few minutes before it was undertaken. Freeman.
   ATTEMPT TO UPSET A TRAIN.—On Saturday last, at Nottingham, a young man named George Hardy was charged before the sitting magistrates with attempting to upset a railway train on the Midland line near Kegworth on the 4th inst. The prisoner was seen to place some bricks, oak keys, &c., on the down line of the railway about 20 minutes before the express train was due from London. He pleaded guilty to the charge, and was committed to take his trial.

   Blind Asylum—The Mayor, £2 donation ; Peter Kennedy, Esq., 5s. donation.
   INDIANS TO BE EXTERMINATED.—The St. Louis correspondent of the Cincinnati Gazette writes that the largest Indian expedition ever fitted out is now moving toward Idaho, having for its object the subjugation or extermination of the Sioux Indians. The entire business of organising, equipping, and completing this mammoth enterprise has been conducted under Brigadier-General Sully. The expedition will number 3,000 cavalry and mounted infantry, with eight or ten pieces of cannon, and such a force of friendly Indians, consisting of Maudans, Bees, Crows, Delawares, and Shawnees, as General Sully can secure, to act either as scouts, spies, or warriors. The object is to rid the entire territory west of the Missouri River of the hostile savage, and leave it free from danger for the occupation of thousands of miners flocking to the district where gold and silver abound. General Sully will establish infantry posts from Idaho to the Missouri River and across to Minnesota, and he fully intends to make no half-work of the undertaking. The General suggested to the War Department the idea of using a number of the rebel prisoners now in our hands as soldiers in this expedition, but no communication was received in return, and the presumption is the idea was not approved.
   LEOTARD IN PARIS.—The famous Leotard made his appearance last night at the Cirque, in the Champs- Elysees, after an absence of three years. The house was crowded to excess, and hundreds were obliged to go away, not being able to obtain admission. The great gymnast has entirely varied his performance, and added new feats of extraordinary difficulty. In one part he actually flies from trapeze to trapeze with one hand only, and terminates the exhibition by a series of wonderful flights through the air at the side of the circus from which he starts, the whole concluding with a somersault from very nearly the height of the central lustre. Everything was effected with a grace and facility altogether marvellous, and the applause was tremendous.—Galignani.

May 17, 1864.
   ARRIVEDKangaroo steamer, New York to Liverpool, and proceeded ; White Eagle, Driscoll, Newport, coals ; Smith, Harris, Newport, coals.
   SAILEDSirene, Theessen, Great Yarmouth, linseed cake ; Jaunita, Canning, Terragona, general cargo ; Evening Star, Fry, Clyde, sugar ; Boatswain, Gray, London, sugar ; Eva, Blaney, Malta, coals.

   May 11, at 32, Lower Pembroke street, Dublin, the wife of William Cronin Horgan, Esq., M.D., coroner, of Drogheda, of a daughter.
   May 10, at Silverspring, Clonmel, the wife of Augustin Mackenzie, Esq., Royal Engineers, of a daughter.
   On the 7th inst., at Lower Norwood, the wife of Lieutenant-Colonel Sargent, C.B. the Buffs, of a daughter.
   On the 8th inst., at Portsmouth, the wife of Lieut. W. H. Goold, R.N., of a son.

   May 12, at Plymouth, Charles R. Gayer, Esq., Lieutenant Royal Navy, third son of the late Rev. Charles R. Gayer, rector of Dingle, county Kerry, to Susan, only daughter of the late R. Jennings Bryant, of Plymouth, Esq.

   On the 17th instant, Harriett, relict of the late George Gregg, Esq., in the 78th year of her age.
   On the 13th inst., at Marseilles, of fever, Arthur Beresford Cane, Esq., of Collinstown House, Clondalkin, Receiver to the Constabulary of Ireland.
   On the 26th ult., at New York, Thomas Barter, a native of Bandon, aged 48 years.
   May 13, at George's-place, Dublin, Michael O'Conner, Esq., attorney-at-law, aged 80.
   At Killough, near Delvin, county Westmeath, at the advanced age of 104 years, Elizabeth, relict of Mr. Mark Murray, of that place.—May she rest in peace.
   On the 21st ult., at Boston, Mass., Patrick Dore, aged 64 years, a native of Youghal.
   On the 25th ult., at New York, Mr. Edward F. Moriarty, a native of Dingle, county Kerry, aged 65 years, brother of the late Sir Thomas Moriarty.
   On the 22d ult., at New York, Mrs. Johanna O'Connell, widow of Maurice O'Connell, formerly of Mentena, parish of Newmarket, aged 54 years.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 28 May 1864
THESE sessions were held in the Courthouse, Kanturk, on Thursday. The justices present were—R. Longfield, (chairman) ; N. Duscombe, D. M'Cartie, J. Warren, B. Leader, Captain Longfield, J. Gallaher, Major Barry, B. Verling, J. W. Becher, J. Power. The cesspayers in attendance were—Richard Burton, Robert Walpole, Capt. Pym, Robert Bolster, George Bolster, Patrick M'Carthy, Richard Bolster.
   The presentments were seven in number, of which the two following passed.
   John Hanlon and John Callaghan, to rebuild a gullet and build parapet walls to same, on the Mail Carriage road from Mallow to Killarney, in the townland of Pallas, not to exceed £21—passed at £20.
   Charles Callaghan and Denis Callaghan, to repair Banteer bridge, on the road from Mallow to Millstreet, between Townsend's bridge and Banteer cross, not to exceed £12—passed at £10.
   The remaining five, which were for small amounts were rejected.
   THE BABY TOWERS OF SHANGHAI.—One day we went to inspect one of the Baby Towers, of which there are numbers near Shanghai. They are well surrounded by walls, with apertures through which they are thrown in. It appears that all poor people's children, which die in infancy, are wrapped up in straw and deposited in one of these towers, to avoid the expense of coffins and burial ceremonies. They emit a terrible odour, and when the mass of straw bundles almost reach the top of the tower, it is emptied, the contents are burnt, and the ashes spread as manure over the fields. Such a mode of disposing of the bodies of infants struck us as a great incentive to infanticide, a crime which is so very common in China.—A Lady's Visit to Manilla and Japan.
   SINGULAR EXPLOSION OF GAS.—On Monday forenoon a singular and very alarming explosion of gas took place in the Roman Catholic Chapel, in Lanark, by which two men were very seriously injured. For some time past a strong smell of gas has been felt near the kitchen-door of the priest's house, which is attached to the chapel, and on Saturday and Monday attempts were made to detect where the leakage existed. It appears that the pipes of both the old and new gas companies are laid near each other at this spot, and an examination was being made by the orders of the managers of both companies. On Monday forenoon, a young man named Hamilton, son of the manager of the old Gas Company, and the gasman at the works, named Young, were employed examining a pipe which had been opened up, and, feeling a stronger than usual smell of gas, one of them struck a match and applied it to the pipe, when a most terrific explosion occurred. It appears that immediately underneath the place where they had been standing there is a well, the water in which is 10ft. or 12ft. from the surface, and that the gas had either been led into this well on account of thew leaking pipe passing through it, or the escaping gas had percolated through the earth, and filled the well like a gasometer. Two large flat stones, weighing two or three cwt. each, were hurled off the top of the well, and stones and gravel sent in all directions. The two men were driven with great violence several yards from the spot, and when assistance was obtained, their faces were found to be so much cut and bruised and covered with blood as scarcely to be recognisable. Hamilton had his right arm broken a little above the wrist, and it is feared that both men have lost their eyesight. Dr. Adams was promptly in attendance. Although stones weighing several pounds were thrown to the roof of the chapel, no further damage was done to it than the breakage of one or two panes of glass.—Scotsman.
   A FORTUNATE JOCKEY.—Flatman, the jockey, has now won the French Derby four times—in 1837, for Lord Seymour, with Lydia ; in 1846, for Baron de Rothschild, with Mendon ; in 1856, for the Prince de Beauvau, with Lion ; and now, for M. Delamarre, with Bois-Roussel.

   Sims v. Qiunlan and another.—This was an appeal from a decretal order of Master Brooke. It appeared that Mr. Michael Sims, of Cork, bequeathed £1,000 to the Dominican clergymen to purchase the head rent of the Dominican Church in the city of Cork. It had been contended before the Master that the bequest was contrary to the Catholic relief act, and Master Brooke had decided that the bequest was invalid. From that decision the present appeal was brought. The case was but partially opened.
   Counsel for appellants—Mr. Flanagan, Q. C., and Mr. J. O'Hagan. For petitioner—Mr. Brewster, Q.C., Mr. Sherlock, Q.C., and Mr. Dwyer. Mr. Waters appeared for the Attorney-General.

In the matter of the Estate of Patrick Murphy O'Connor, owner and petitioner.
   The lands of Killcooleishal, held under lease of lives renewable for ever, 22a. 1r. 11p. ; nett profit rent £53 10s. This was bought by Mr. J. Hill, in trust, at £1,025.
   Mr. Callaghan, solicitor.
   Galignani's Messenger announces the death, on the 24th inst., at Paris, of James Stuart Bowes, Esq., aged 75. For nearly forty years Mr. Bowes was one of the principal editors of that journal.

   SOUTHAMPTON MAY 27.—The Poonah, Capt. Sparkes, with the heavy portion of the above mails, has arrived —she brings 119 passengers, including the Hon. Mr. Wingfield and Capt. Johnston from Gibraltar. The Poonah has on freight eight packages specie, value £1,511, also packages of silk and shawls, 50 bales cotton, 159 packages of sundries.

(Before the Lord Chief Justice, and Justices O'Brien and Fitzgerald.)
The Queen v. the Special Commissioners of Irish Fisheries.
   In this case the court had granted a conditional order for a certiorari to return into court a conviction had at Ennis, during the late Fishery Commission held in that town, under which the Cratloe weir, the property of Mr. Henry Stafford O'Brien, had been declared illegal. The affadavits on which the present motion was grounded set forth that the summons of the Commissioners had not, as required by the statute, been served on the well-known residence of Mr. O'Brien in England. When the case came before the Commissioners, at Ennis, a protest was handed in against the Commissioners entertaining it, and on the objection being overruled, counsel appeared for the owner of the weir. The court thought that counsel having subsequently appeared in the case, he had waived his protest, but they ultimately granted a conditional order.
   The Solicitor-General now appeared on behalf of the defendants, and said that although they were of opinion that the appellant had lapsed his time, still, under the circumstances, they would not press their objection to the appeal being heard.
   Mr. Macdonogh, Q.C., who appeared for the appellant said that this course was most fair and proper, and he moved accordingly that the case be set down for argument.
   The Court made the requisite order.

   At Rock View, county Limerick, the wife of Edward Joynt, Esq., of a daughter.
   April 27, at Montreal, the wife of H. Fergusson Esq., Staff Assistant Surgeon, late of Smythfield House, county Limerick, of a daughter.
   On the 25th April, at the residence of H. Forman, Esq., Admiralty House, Colaba, Bombay, the wife of Capt. Crockett, Commanding H.M.S. Semiramis, of a daughter.
   On the 25th instant, at 21, Queen's-gate-terrace, London, the Hon. Mrs. Charles Du Cane, of a son and heir.

   May 23, at Rathgar Catholic Church, by the Rev. J. Clarke, Mr. William Boland, to Sarah, second daughter of James Christie, Esq.

   On the 20th instant, at his residence, Ballylangley, Bandon, Mr. George Stanley, aged 65 years.
   On the 26th instant, at Rose Lodge, Mary, daughter of the late Robert Warren, Esq., of Castle Warren.
   On the 24th instant, at his residence, Main-street, Cappoquin, Mr. R. Whelan, aged 40 years. Snatched away in the prime of life, and in the midst of an honourable and successful career, his death leaves at a happy fireside, a blank which can never be repaired. Constant, and endearing in the domestic circle, in business relations just, upright, and respected. An industrious and affectionate father, a cordial and sincere friend ; he has passed from his earthly sojourn only to enjoy, it is to be hoped, the peace and eternal sunshine of Heaven. And may the Father of the Fatherless supply his place, to guide and comfort and sustain the afflicted wife and family, who by his death, have been bereft of their hope and happiness.—R.I.P.
   May 26, after a lingering illness, Mr. Michael F. Carroll, of 24, Upper Camden-street, Dublin.
   May 26, at the residence of his uncle, Mr. Samuel M'Bride, 128, Cork-street, Dublin, William Morrin, in the 21st year of his age, eldest son of Mathew Morrin.
   May 25, at 22, Talbot-street, Dublin, Elizabeth, the beloved child of Michael Kelly, aged nine years.
   On the 24th inst., at his residence, 20, North Frederick-street, Dublin, Henry Hichcock, Esq., solicitor.
   On the 24th instant, at Torquay, where he went for the benefit of his health, Captain Shaplaud [sic] Swiny, J.P., of New Court, Cheltenham, and Tubberlumney, county Wexford, only son of the late Shapland Swiny, Esq., barrister-at-law, of Harcourt-street, Dublin.
   March 1, burned at the conflagration, Invercargell, New Zealand, while nobly trying to rescue a young married lady friend, Bessie, youngest daughter of the late Robert Jameson, merchant, Dublin, aged 21 years.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 30 May 1864
   On the 28th instant, at Belgrave Place, the wife of Joshua J. Carroll, of a daughter.
   On the 26th inst., at 4, Portland Terrace, Richmond, Surrey, the wife of H. A. R. Alexander, Esq., Bengal Civil Service, of a son.
   On the 27th inst., at Bandon, the wife of C. B. Martin, Esq., J.P., of a son.
   On the 24th inst., at her father's residence, Sea View House, Kinsale, the wife of Hill Gillman Long, Esq., of a daughter.

   On the 28th inst., at St. Nicholas Church, by the Rev. James Carson, brother of the bridegroom, William Carson, Esq., of Liscard, Cheshire, to Harriet Elizabeth, second daughter of the late Simeon H. Hardy, Esq., Medical Staff.

   On the 28th inst., after a short illness, Thomas O'Flynn, Esq., of Richmond Hill.
   On the 28th inst., after a long and protracted illness, Maria, youngest daughter of the late Mr. James Ahern, North Main-street.
   On the 29th instant, at Bellair, Elizabeth Jane, wife of Selby Clare, provision merchant.
   On the 24th inst., at Cappoqiun, county Waterford, in the 27th year of his age, of fever, caught in the discharge of his public duty, John Mahony, Esq., Medical Officer to the Cappoquin Dispensary.
   On the 27th instant, at 125 Aughrim-street, Anne, relict of the late George Woodburne, Esq., Ballinatone, county Wicklow, aged 76 years.
   THE DUKE OF MALAKHOFF.—The France relates the following anecdote of Marshal Pélissier :—After a night attack on the trenches before Sebastopol, a Russian flag of truce was sent to ask for a suspension of arms to search for the dead. At that moment a point of great importance was that the enemy should not see the French works at the spot in question, and as the advanced lines were within a distance of only 70 metres from the fortress, the General-in-Chief thought right not to accede to the demand. The suspension of arms was accordingly refused, but in consequence of an error it was granted by the colonel on service. The anger of the Commander-in-Chief, on learning that his orders had not been obeyed, was extreme. He gave immediate orders for the colonel to be punished ; but afterwards, on learning that among the dead bodies a man had been found still alive, although badly wounded, his anger was dissipated at once, and he uttered the words “I have not the courage to punish a fault which has saved the life of a man.”
   INSOLVENT DEBTORS.—At Nenagh, June 24—John Murphy, late of Armagh, county of Tipperary, heretofore farmer, latterly having no occupation. At Cork, June 30.—James Spillane, late of Kilowen, county of Cork, farmer, Patrick Harrington, late of Cornmarket-street, in the city of Cork, in no trade or business.

May 28, 1864.
   ARRIVEDEdinburgh (steamer), Liverpool, and proceeded to New York ; Ceres, M'Carthy, Youghal, bricks.
   SAILEDWasp, Carroll, Arklow, ballast ; Dante, Sablich, Cardiff, ballast ; Orontes, Hunt, Dublin, wheat ; Dante [sic], Degregoned, Tralee, maize.
May 29, 1864.
   ARRIVEDHelen Scott, Jenkins, Newport, coals ; Helen Ann, O'Brien, Lydney, coals ; Victoria, Martin, bantry, oats ; Colleen Ogue, Barnlet, Kenmare, ballast ; Ailsa Craig (steamer), Glasgow, general for Lisbon ; Australasia, (steamer), Liverpool to New York, and proceeded.
   SAILEDNuova Filadelphia, for Sligo.
   SAILEDEmerald, Rod, Holmsund.
Submitted by dja
1— The Nimrod was a sidewheel paddle steamer that carried emigrants from Cork to Liverpool from 1843 until 1860 when it was wrecked on the Welsh coast and all on board were lost.
2— Felo de se, Latin for "felon of himself," is an archaic legal term meaning suicide. In early English common law, an adult who committed suicide was literally a felon, and the crime was punishable by forfeiture of property to the king and what was considered a shameful burial. A child or mentally incompetent person, however, who killed him- or herself was not considered a felo de se and was not punished post-mortem for his or her actions.—From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
3— Lieutenant Commander Charles W. Flusser was the Miami's Commanding Officer.

Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.