Lurgan, Portadown and Banbridge Advertiser
and Agricultural Gazette
Lurgan, county Armagh
13 December 1849
1. All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use, only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form, in whole or in part, by any individual or organization for profit.
2. Subject to (1) above, if you cite or quote from any part of the abstracts from this page, use the Bibliographical Reference provided at the bottom of this page. For use on the web, also provide a link back to this page and to the IrelandOldNews home page.
IN THE MATTER OFIn pursuance of the certificate of WILLIAM BROOK, ESQUIRE, the master in this matter, bearing date, the 10th day of December, 1849, and subject to his approbation of such letting ; I will, on Wednesday, the 26th day of December, 1849, at the hour of 1 o clock, in the afternoon, at the BROWNLOW ARMS HOTEL, LURGAN, SET UP and SELL BY PUBLIC CANT, to the highest and best bidder, for the term of Seven Years, pending this month; ALL THAT AND THOSE, the DWELLING HOUSE, OFFICE HOUSES, YARD, and GARDEN, in the said Town of LURGAN, as lately in the possession of MRS. MARY ANNE GILBERT.
GEORGE DILWORTH MAGEE,
Dates this 19th day of December, 1849.
P. MAGEE, Auctioneer.
The Tenant approved of will have to take out a lease according to the course and practice of the Court.
Further particulars can be had on application to MR. THOMAS PENTLAND, the Receiver; or, at the Office of MR. HAZLETT, Solicitor, Lurgan.
LADIES' RIDING HABITS, CHILDREN'S DRESSES, &c., TASTEFULLY MADE.
Lurgan, December 13, 1849.
12th December, 1849.
The above lands are of excellent quality, are situate within three miles of the Town of Lurgan, and are held by lease for years renewable for ever, subject to the Yearly Rent of £11 1s. 6-1/2d.
The lands as now set yield a profit rent of £46 16s. 4d. which will be considerably increased hereafter, 44 acres being held by lease for which a large fine was paid, at a yearly rent of £32 5s. 11d.
Apply to HENRY GREER, Solicitor, Lurgan.
December 12, 1849.
The seed was first brought into England from Thebes, by Sir Wm. Symonds, of Hampshire, and now grown by Francis Fforde, Esq., of Raughlan. It is the produce of one grain of Egyptian wheat obtained from a mummy.
What is most remarkable is the great length of time that has elapsed since the corn from which the plant was produced grew; for, at the most reasonable computation, no less a time than 571 years b.c , or 2,400 years, have passed away since any record can be obtained of entombing mummies within the tombs of Thebes.
There are, at a very moderate computation, upwards of 1,600 grains of corn in 15 stems. The stem is a single ear, resembling our common ears of wheat, and this springs from the same root.
May we not, therefore, infer that the wheat now grown is a degenerate class of this same species which formerly grew in Egypt; else, how could the Egyptians have supplied the empire of Assyria, Greece, and Rome, from their superabundance above their own wants.
Raughlan, Dec. 10, 1849.
Submitted by ajk.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.