The Irish News, 26 November 1903
Tim Ahern Is Killed
Phillip Barry Jr. Wields Revolver with Fatal Results at Plush.
Funeral Here Yesterday.
Phillip Barry Jr., in a drunken fit, shot and fatally wounded Timothy Ahern at Plush, this county, last Saturday evening between 5 and 6 o'clock. The Shooting occurred in the street near the store and saloon conducted by Willis Scammon, between dusk and dark. The particulars of the fatal affray are hard to get and many different stories are told. By the information given the Examiner. it appears that after drinking and carousing in the saloon where guns were much in evidence, four men, Phillip Barry, Nick Barry, Wm. Lane and Tim Ahern emerged and went down to a hitching rack, where their horses stood. Phillip Barry mounted his horse and rode up to within 20 or 30 feet of Nick Barry and Tim Ahern and fired his pistol, the bullet taking effect in Tim Ahern's neck near the jugular vein, and ranging downward, lodging in the vertebrae and crushed the spinal cord. Both Nick Barry and Wm. Lane ran. Willis Scammon hearing the shot, ran out of a corral nearby and grabbed the gun as Barry started to ride away, and in the scuffle it was discharged, the bullet under Scammin's arm. Scammon told Barry to consider himself under arrest, but he rode away and disappeared in the darkness. As he did so, Scammon discharged the gun in the air in an endeavor to stop him. Ahern was carried to the Scammon home and had everything done for him that could be done, but he only lived until 11 o'clock that night. He asked Mrs. Scammon if he was badly hurt and she told him she thought not fatally. He was asked what physician he wished and he replied that he wanted Dr. Steiner. Harry Riggs was dispatched at once, arriving at Lakeview at 2 a.m. over 40 miles in a rain storm and bad roads. Dr. Steiner, accompanied by Dan Maloy started without delay, but when they met a messenger coming for the coroner. Coroner Harris accompanied by Rev. J. V. stark started early Monday for Plush.
We, the jurors called by Coroner F.E. Harris to enquire into the cause of death of Timothy Ahern, Find that the said Timothy Ahern met death from a pistol shot and fired by the hand of Phillip Barry, Jr. at Plush Oregon on November 21, 1903. J.B. Stark Foreman, David U. Cleland, Frank Roggers, M.H. Caldwell, W.P. Overton, Wm. Alford. Phillip Barry rode to Lakeview Monday and was Taken in charge by Sheriff Dunlapp and lodge in the county jail to await a preliminary hearing. The coroner returned Tuesday evening with the corpse which was placed in charge of the Foresters Lodge, of which the deceased was member. The funeral took place yesterday at two o'clock under the auspice of this lodge from the Masonic hall, and a large number of friends and acquaintances followed the remains to the cemetery.

TIMOTHY AHERN, is a native of Ireland, and was born February 14 1879. He had relatives in the old country and a brother William in San Francisco. Mr. Ahern was usually known as a quiet, good natured fellow, and apparently well liked by all who knew him. The sad event is much deplored by the victim's friends and the family of the accused, as well as all law abiding citizens.

Submitted by dja
New Zealand Tablet, 26 November 1903
The Flemish Language
The great tribute recently paid to Father O'Growney's remains (writes a Dublin correspondent) shows that the present generation are not unmindful of the zealous priest who did so much to foster the Irish language. It is a remarkable fact that the revival of the Flemish language, 120 years ago, was mainly due to an Irish priest, Rev. Dr. Francis O'Hearn, of Lismore, County Waterford. In 1891 a paper was read before the Royal Flemish Academy eulogising the marvellous literary powers of Dr. O'Hearn, who was a perfect master of nine languages, including Irish and English. Dr. Buck, the distinguished Bollandist, says that few Flemings of the present day could hope to write such charming Flemish poetry as that produced by O'Hearn. At length, driven from Louvain College (of which he was Rector) by the Revolution, Dr. O'Hearn returned to Ireland in February, 1799, and was appointed parish priest of St. Patrick's, Waterford, by Bishop Hussey. He died October 22, 1801.
Submitted by dja

Ireland Home Page
Other Newspapers with News of Ireland

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.