Ireland Old News

Palo Alto Reporter
Palo Alto County, Iowa
Friday, August 24, 1894

John Millea Passes Away Saturday.

     Death has again invaded the ranks of the early settlers of Palo Alto and bade Mr. John Millea to answer to his summons on the other shore.
    Early last spring Mr. Millea had a severe attack of the grippe from which he never completely recovered. It finally became complicated with other difficulties which resulted in his demise last Saturday evening.
    Mr. Millea was born in the County Kilkenny, Ireland, in the year 1819, and emigrated and settled in Illinois sometime during the year 1854. He remained but three years in Illinois when he removed to the vicinity of Marengo, Iowa, where he continued to reside until 1868, when he came to Palo Alto county and settled on a farm a few miles north of this city.
    Mr. Millea was a man who was universally respected and was noted for his strict honesty in all business transactions.
    The funeral service took place in the Catholic church Monday, at 10 o'clock, conducted by Rev. J.J. Smith. The procession which followed the remains to the cemetery was one of the longest that has ever occurred in this city.

Palo Alto Reporter
Palo Alto County, Iowa
Friday, August 10, 1894

Thomas Eaton, One of the Oldest Settlers of Palo Alto County Called to His Final Rest
    Mr. Thomas Eaton, one of the early settlers of this county, died at his home in Emmetsburg township, about three miles west of this city, Tuesday night.
    Mr. Eaton was born in Wexford county, Ireland, in 1819, consequently he was 75 years old at his last birthday. He emigrated to this country in 1852 and some time subsequently settled in Crawford county, Wis. He came to Palo Alto county in the month of August, 1869, and has since made this county his home.
    For the past twenty-five years his health has been poor, he being a sufferer from gravel, which finally terminated his life. During all this time he has never been able to come to this city but has been compelled to stay at home by reason of his infirmities. The last two weeks of his life he suffered very severely, and death to him was a relief, coming as it did after years of suffering.
    The funeral services occurred Thursday morning at 10 o'clock at the Catholic church, conducted by the Rev. J.J. Smith. The remains were followed to the cemetery by a large concourse of sorrowing friends.


Submitted by #I000525


Ireland Home Page
Other Newspapers with News of Ireland

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.