Ireland Old News
London Times
London,  Middlesex, England
Tuesday, April 18, 1882


     A daring attempt to assassinate a lady is reported to the constabulary in Limerick to-day. It resembles in its circumstances, though not in its result, the murder of Mrs. Smythe in Westmeath. As Miss Roy, the owner of extensive property in county Limerick, was driving with other members of her family yesterday from their residence, near Adare, to the church at Ballinaveeragh, for midday service, three men with blackened faces fired at the carriage from behind a ditch in a secluded part of the road. None of the shots took effect, and the shrieks of the occupants of the carriage caused the assassins to fly. No arrests have been made.
     A large force of Grenadier Guards and constabulary accompanied the sub-sheriff to-day from Limerick to Murro, where about 40 tenants on the property of Lord Cloncurry are to be evicted. No disturbance has occurred, and it is anticipated that the evictions will be peaceably carried out.

     It may be regarded as a sign of improvement in the country, at least in the opinion of the Executive, that the number of suspects released is far greater than the number of new arrests. This morning Messrs. Bernard, Ennis Rhode, Edmond Synan, Charleville; William Delaney, Abbeyleix; M.J. Maginn, late Land League organizer for county Mayo; W.M. Veale, organizer for county Waterford, were unconditionally liberated from Naas Gaol. Mr. John O'Dowd, late Secretary of Bunnineddan (county Sligo) branch of the Land League, who has been confined for the past six months in Dundalk Gaol, was released on parole on Saturday for a week to attend some urgent private business. He has been very unwell for some days past. He says his fellow suspects are all fairly well. John Mulligan, Castle Plunkett, county Roscommon, has been unconditionally released from Kilmainham Gaol after six months' confinement. Mr .William Staples, T.C., Naas, was unconditionally released from Dundalk Gaol this morning. To-day three brothers named Daly, who live near Kilbeggan, county Westmeath, and a man named Duffy, residing near Ballinagore, were arrested under the Protection Act, charged with inciting to murder.

     An application was made on Saturday in the Queen's Bench Division to admit to bail the Rev. Mr. O'Higgins, C.C., who was committed to Galway Gaol by Mr. Blake, R.M., on a charge of inciting to murder. It was sworn in the informations of the constabulary that on the 12th of March the Rev. gentleman was engaged at the chapel of Shanaglish, county Galway, decorating a Land League hut which had been erected in it, in presence of a crowd of people; that when warned that it would be illegal to hold a meeting there, the Rev. gentleman called upon the people to gather round and not allow buckshots or peelers in. The people formed in a mass, and the police could not get nearer than 15 yards of the speaker. The Rev. Mr. O'Higgins spoke to the people about the coming election of guardians and desired them to put out John Geraty, the old guardian and to put in John Rochford. He said they wanted no "scut" of a fellow and to "shoot the rat." One constable believed that the Rev. Mr. O'Higgins meant by the word "rat" John Geraty, thus placing him in a great danger of his life. Geraty had refused to lend his house to the Ladies' Land League on a previous Sunday, and the words used by the Rev. Mr. O'Higgins were spoken in an excited manner. Counsel submitted that it was incredible that this clergyman should have used the words imputed to him in the presence of the police; that a clergyman should incite to murder in such a way was absurd. The police were some distance away and they must have mistaken the words. Another constable, who appeared ot have recollected more on making his second information than he did when making his first, stated that the Rev. Mr. O'Higgins said if there was any person present who was so base as to violate the national oath, he, although a priest, would be ready with a rope for his neck to hang him. That information was corroborated by another constable; but another information made by a third party stated that he was close to the Rev. Mr. O'Higgins and he did not hear him use the words "shoot the rat," but he spoke against the outrages and merely advised the formation of a branch of the Ladies' Land League. Mr. Naish, Q.C., law adviser to the Crown, resisted the application. He stated that the man Geraty was referred to as the "rat" and the constables positively swore that the Rev. Mr. O'Higgins said "shoot the rat." These words were used in the presence of an excited crowd near Athenry, where more than one murder had been committed within the last 12 months. The Lord Justice said the Court was unanimously of opinion that the bail ought to be accepted in the case. An order was then made that the prisoner should be admitted to bail in two sureties of 50 each and himself in 100.

CORK, April 17.
     A man named Matthew Hunt, of Bunnanaddin, County Sligo, was arrested on Saturday evening for threatening to shoot Mr. George Thompson, who is agent over several estates in Mayo and Sligo. The prisoner has been committed for trial, without bail.

     The police acting on private information to-day visited the house of a Mrs. Griffin, near Listowel, and seized two new rifles and bayonets and 50 rounds of ammunition. They are now searching for Mrs. Griffin's son.

Ireland Home Page
News from Other Newspapers

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.