Ireland Old News

Ballina, Co. Mayo
Wednesday, August 7, 1850

     THE CONSTABULARY - Constable M'Donnell, who was stationed here for the last three or four years, and who was a most efficient and useful officer of this valuable force, has retired from the service on compensation.

     In the House of Commons on Monday, Mr. Higgins took the oaths and his seat for the county of Mayo.

     We are sorry to learn that the potato crop in the neighbourhood of Ballinrobe, Hollymount, Westport and Castlebar, is seriously affected with the blight of former years.

     We are glad to find that Richard Hamilton, Esq., has returned to take charge of the unions under his inspection previous to his temporary absence from this neighbourhood.

     ELECTIONEERING INCIDENT - Numberless odd stories, arising out of the late elections in this county, have reached us, but anything more barefaced or disgraceful than the following we have never heard: At the petty sessions at Castlebar, held on Thursday last, a man named Richard Saunders, one of the "body guards", was brought up for having assaulted a car driver while  conveying freeholders from the upper portion of the county to Castlebar. The fellow was convicted, and fined 1 each or one months' imprisonment. The Rev. M. Curley, Roman Catholic Curate - who, we understand is paying off the election bills due on the part of Mr. Higgins - instantly paid the fine and Saunders was liberated. On that very evening he murderously assaulted a private of the 5th Dragoons and finished his day's "amusement" by robbing a poorhouse! Comment on the state of society in Mayo is useless.


     On the 3rd inst. the Rev. H.E. Joly, A.M., was installed Archdeacon of Killala, by the Very Rev. the Dean, under a mandate from the Lord Bishop; and on Sunday last he preached his first sermon for the year.

On FRIDAY, the 9th instant,
The Residence of 

     A QUANTITY OF HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE, consisting of one dozen of Mahogany cane-bottomed Chairs, equal to new; Mahogany Tables; Sideboard, Bookcases, Dining Tables; Basinstands and Dressing Glasses, Feather Beds and Bedding.
     A plough, Turnip Marrow, Plough Backhand and Chains; together with several other useful articles for Farming purposes.
     TERMS CASH, and the purchaser to pay Auction Fees.
               JOHN G. JONES, Auctioneer.
Ballina, 2d August, 1850.


Mr. J.R. WILLIAMS begs respectfully to acquaint his friends that VACATION will terminate on the 3rd of AUGUST, and that business will be resumed on the following MONDAY, when the punctual attendance of his PUPILS is requested.


     Captain Kennedy, Poor Law Inspector, has been removed  from Kilrush to Kilkenny, and Mr. Briscoe, Poor Law Inspector, for the unions of Ennis, Ennistymon, Kilrush and Kildysart.
     Mr. Hollingsworth, who for many years conducted the King's rooms at Southsea Beach, Portsmouth, died suddenly, from apoplexy, on Wednesday last.
     There are 461 paupers in the Ballinasloe workhouse, where the average cost per head, per week, does not exceed 10d.
     Christopher St. George, Esq., M.P., has given on his estate at Outerard, a suitable site for a Roman Catholic school, to be founded on the principle of the national education system.
     At Cork assizes a verdict of 15 damages and costs was returned against Mr. Charles Bianconi, at the suit of Mr. J.H. Hargrave, for injury sustained by plaintiff while proceeding on defendant's public car from Youghal to Cork.
     W.T. Mahony, Esq., one of the Commissioners of Public Works, was engaged the last week inspecting drainage operations in the neighbourhood of Tuam.


     CORK, July 31 - The potatoes in the neighbourhood of Passage, Monkstown, Carrigaloe, and Cove, continue to show a vigour, a healthiness, and entire absence from disease that is most encouraging.- Although a greater than ordinary quantity of land has been sown- with this vegetable, in no instance do our correspondents mention the slightest appearance indicating the disease.-- Examiner.
     GALWAY, July 21 - Since our last publication we regret to find that the most unfavourable reports of the potato crop has been circulated. It has been stated to us that fields which looked green and luxuriant on last Saturday, presented on the following day all the symptoms of disease and decay. In passing last week from Galway to Castlebar- a distance of forty miles - we observed that the potato fields appeared to be affected more or less for a distance of six or eight miles below Galway; but from that to Castlebar they looked green and healthy.- It must be remarked, however, tht they were of later sowing than on this side of Shruel, and as the disaster is said to attack the potato at a certain stage of its growth, we may thus fairly account for the healthy appearance they presented and the suddenness with which they may be attacked. We must state that we entertain the most serious apprehensions regarding the safety of the present crop, whose loss in this country would be enormous and appalling indeed.-- Vindicator.

     By the death of Mr. John Schoales, Q.C., the appointment of Assistant Barrister for the Queen's County is placed at the disposal of the Government.


     There is a parish in the barony of Upper Connelloe and county of Limerick, containing by the last census nearly 9,000 inhabitants. The greater number of these have been, for some time past, sunk in the greatest misery. Many causes too numerous to mention, besides the potato blight, have brought about this wretched state of the industrial poor.- To alleviate, in some degree, the sufferings and raise the condition of the female population, the lady of the Rev. G.G. Gubbins, vicar of the parish, has encouraged a large number of girls to knit fancy work of every variety of pattern. The execution of the knitting is of the very best description and includes stockings, collars, cuffs, gloves (silk and cotton), baby caps, fly caps, anti-macassors, doileys, pin covers, insertions, and edgings of every variety, &c. The prices of these articles are remarkably low, leaving a profit to those poor girls of only two pence per day- a price alas! but too indicative of an amount of destitution too painful to describe. These articles are so very light as easily be had by post; and those kind-hearted ladies who can feel, for wretchedness, and sympathize with their Christian brethren and sisters, struggling to alleviate a famine-stricken people, are solicited to extend their patronage to this humble effort in their behalf. It is combining, what never should be separated, unless for special purposes- Industry and Charity.-- Limerick Chronicle.


     The Lord Chancellor has been pleased to appoint John Garnett, Rathborne, Esq., of Dunsinea, a Magistrate for the county of Dublin.

     A landlord named James Bryne is missing from Kilgarvin, county Galway, and it is supposed he had been murdered.

     Mrs. Margaret Kinneally, a former widow, residing near Fiddown, Kilkenny, was robbed of 150l. by her servant, Michael Murphy, who has absconded to America. The money was secreted in a hold in the wall of her house.

     Opposition has reduced the fare from Dublin to Liverpool to 10s. 

    Henry Lloyd, Esq., has been appointed a magistrate of the county Monaghan. He has also been appointed agent of Lord Rassmore's estates in that county.

     John Clutterbuck, aged 11 years, son of the late Lorenzo Clutterbuck, Esq., of Caher, when playing near Mr. Going's mill, at Caher, on Monday, was unfortunately caught by some of the machinery and so bruised and lacerated, he died in an hour after.

     ANOTHER 5 MEMBER - Dr. Power, M.P., for Cork, is announced by the Tipperary Vindicator as the new Inspector of medical charities for Ireland. Ecod, these Whigs are driving a brisk trade in the Irish cattle. In June the late member for Dundalk and Clonmel bought with a consulship and packed up for exportation for the Brazils. In July the hon. member for Tralee purchased with the collectorship for taxes. And in August the hon. member for Cork hooked with a roving commission! Who comes next? Clear the way, gentlemen for Ouseley Higgins!-- Nation.


     The Commissioners Estates of Hyacinth D'Arcy Esq. were set up for sale in the Rotundo, Dublin, yesterday. There were 19 lots of the Killery and Clifden Estates sold; the sale of the Kylemore Estate was adjourned; the following are the principal lots disposed of:
     Lot 9 - The Clifden Castle and demsene, containing 627 acres, government valuation 164 per annum, bought by Mr. John Sadler, for 3,750.
     Lot 10- Streamstown and Letternush, 1021 acres; Mr. John Sadler purchased for 1,425.
     Lot 14 - The town and lands of Clifden and Streamstown, valued at 524 per annum; knocked down to Mr. Sadler at 4,000.
     Lot 7 - Lands of Ardmore, &c, 575 acres; Mr. Wm. Levingston purchaser at 1,900.
     Lot 9- Lands at Aughrushmore, &c, 716 acres valued at 157, bought by Mr. Sadler at 3,500.
     The total amount raised by the sales on yesterday is 30,555.


     The new church of Guileagh, built at the sole expense of the Marchioness of Waterford, is now completely furnished, and given up by the architect, Mr. Tinsley. It is expected the Church will be consecrated immediately by the Lord Bishop at Cashel.
     Appointment- The Rev. Lorenzo Torpy, B.A., county of Knockmark, diocese of Meath, has been appointed domestic chaplain to Lord Dunsapy.
     Appointment - Diocese of Lismore- The Rev. William Foster, to the vicarage of Shanraghan, county Tipperary, patron, the crown. The Rev. Ralph Tagert, to the vicarage of Templekenny, county Tipperary, patron, the crown.
     Diocese of Ossory - The REv. Robert Graham, Brownrigg, to the county of Rathdowney, Queen's County, patron, the rector.
     Diocese of Cork - The Rev. John Pickering Phair, to the curacy of St. Mary Shandon, Cork; patron, the rector. The Rev. John Connor, to the county of Taxax, county Cork, patron the rector. The Rev. W. Bennett, to the curacy of Ballinadee, county Cork, patron, the rector.
     Diocese of Raphoe - The Rev. Robert Bally, to the curacy of Lough, Esk district, county Donegal; patron, the rector of Killymard.


Ballina, Co. Mayo
Wednesday, August 14, 1850

     HORRIBLE EVENT - An event of a most horrifying nature took place in the townland of Kiltyclaugher, about three miles from Cookstown. A poor man, named James Purvis, left home on a begging excursion. A short time after, he was seen returning, when it appears, he had attempted to cross a valley between the leading road and his house, in which was a meadow of very long grass. He was very much afflicted with pains, and walked with two staffs. He had got about half across the meadow, when he was discovered on Tuesday last. There was nothing of his remains but the principal bones, the entire flesh and smaller bones being entirely eaten or carried away. His old hat and shoes and two staffs enabled his wife and daughter to identify him. He could not have been recognized by his garments, as the dogs had torn them to get at the flesh. The coroner was there, but it could not be ascertained whether he died suddenly or whether he might not have been alive for a day or two. When the few bones and hair and skull were piled on the tattered garments, the sight was terrific. A young girl who came to see it was so frightened that she is afflicted with intervals of aberration of mind ever since, laughing outrageously and crying most bitterly in turn, and exclaiming, "the bones!"- Coleraine Chronicle.

     - Robert Mullen, Esq., is likely to get the appointment of Assistant Barrister of the Queen's County.

     - Mr. James W. Murray, of Lurgan, was drowned while bathing at Lough Neagh, on Monday.

     - John White, Esq., of Limerick and Castleconnell, the principal incumbrancer, has purchased the estate of the late Hugh Masey Ryves, Esq, under the Encumbered Estates Court for 22, 920.

    - On Sunday Matthew Mulrooney, aged 14 years, was found dead in a dyke on the road side, at Commenbog, near Gowran, and from the marks of contusions on the back of his head and shoulders, it became evident that death was caused by violence.

    - Patrick Whelan, son of a poor fisherman, was accidentally killed in Dungarvan, by a horse and cart.

     - Informations were ordered at last Ballinrobe petty sessions, against Rev. Mr. O'Malley, R.C.C. for an assault upon a Scripture reader named Connolly.

Action Against the Sisters of Mercy
M'Donnell v. White.

      Such was the public anxiety to hear this very public trial, that at an early hour the court was densely crowded, and the side box filled with fashionably dressed ladies. There was also a great number of Roman Catholic clergymen present, and a good sprinkling of our dissenting brethren, both lay and clerical.
     Mr. E. M'Donnell, opened the pleadings. This was an action on the case on promises. The declaration contained three counts, each varying the cause of action; together with the money counts; the defendant pleaded the general issue.
     Mr. Fitzgibbon, Q.C., stated the case. This was an action brought by the administrator of Mrs. Eliza M'Donnell, to recover the sum of 500l. given by her to the Sisters of Mercy, in the town of Galway. The circumstances were these: - In March, 1846, Miss Harriett M'Donnell, the daughter of Mrs. M'Donnell, being desirous of becoming a Nun of the Order of the Sisters of Mercy, her sister, Mrs. Ireland, at the request of Mrs. M'Donnell, called at the Convent of Mercy, to inquire as to the terms of the Convent, and to settle with the nuns. Mrs. White, the mother abbess, stated that it was absolutely necessary that Miss M'Donnell should spend six months as a postulant in the convent previous to her reception as a novice, and that after the ceremony of her reception had taken place, she should pas two years as a novice in the convent before she could be professed; she added taht they could not, on any account, shorten the time of her profession, and that it could not be done without a dispensation from the Pope;  they agreed to take the sum of 500l. from Mrs. M'Donnell for the daughter, and that it should be left in the hands of her brother-in-law, Mr. Ireland, until after her profession, and that in the meanwhile they should require the interest for her support. In the month of May, 1846, the Rev. Peter Daly called on Mr. Ireland, and told him that it would be of great service to the nuns if the family would give the money at once, as they were going to invest some money on very favourable terms. Mrs. M'Donnell agreed to give them the money, on their undertaking to return it in case either her daughter should wish to leave the convent before the regular time of her profession, as stated by themselves, or in case of her death, before then; they agreed to give the strongest guarantee to that effect; and Mrs. White entered into the following agreement.- 
     "Mrs. Eliza M'Donnell, - Madame, you have handed the Rev. Peter Daly, on behalf of the Sisters of Mercy, 500l. sterling, the sum agreed to be received from your daughter, Harriet M'Donnell on her being professed a nun in this community, which sum we engaged to return you free of interest, should either the nuns or your daughter change their minds before the period of her said profession arrives, or  in the event of her decease before then.
                       "AMELIA WHITE"
     In the month of August, 1847, Miss M'Donnell took a malignant fever, after all hopes of recovery were over, the nuns had her professed a nun; they gave no notice to her family of her illness until she was past recovery. They now contend that as she was professed on her dying bed they have complied with the terms of the agreement- they rely on the ambiguity of the word profession, although it was clearly provided in the agreement that in case of her death the money should be returned. Counsel for the case contended that it would be absurd to put any other construction upon the words "period of profession, and in the event of her decease before then," as it always in the power of the nuns, by that construction, to make the money their own, and to render their guarantee a mere mockery by professing her dying. They were permitted by the bishop to have her professed dying, merely as a consolation, and if she survived she should be professed again. The Bishop of Galway directed them to return the money, but they preferred taking their chance in a court of law, thinking to evade the agreement by some ambiguity on the face of it. it is quite clear to the most humble comprehension that Mrs. M'Donnell intended by this agreement to give 500l. in consideration of the profession of a living woman and not for the purpose of interring her daughter, as she clearly meant by the words "in the event of her decease before then," that the money should be returned to her in case of the death of her daughter before the ordinary period.
     Among the witnesses called was the Right Rev. Dr. O'Donnell, whose evidence was as follows: - Is the Bishop of Galway; knows Mrs. Amalia White, and knew the late Miss M'Donnell; after Miss M'Donnell's death called on Mrs. White, and said that in consequence of the profession being on her death bed, he did not consider the convent entitled to the money; the rules of the convent respecting the profession of a nun are, that the lady must first spend six months in the convent, she is then received as a novice, and after the expiration of two complete years, she can be professed; since he became bishop never knew of any admission in any other way.
     Cross-examined by Mr. Blake- Witness was not aware of a profession during his time in a shorter period, except in a case like Miss M'Donnell's; he would not consider himself authorised to dispense with the usual time; after two years' noviceship he allows young ladies to be professed; the Council of Trent does not require more than one year between the admission and profession, but the rules of the Convent of Mercy require two; in some instances the church dispenses with the usual time; it is only in cases where life is in danger that he allows a lady to be professed before the usual time. When Miss M'Donnell was very ill, witness was called on and gave permission to have her professed that she might have the consolation of dying a nun; if Miss M'Donnell recovered she should complete her term and again be professed. The dying profession is only a conditional one, and the best authorities say that on such a profession the order is not entitled to the fortune; if the young lady lived for two years the convent would be entitled to her fortune, if she was professed. Some of Miss M'Donnell's family called on him to prevent the profession, but he declined to do so although he knew their motive, but at the same time he knew the covenant was not entitled to the money.
     The jury returned a verdict for the plaintiff, with 500l. damages and 6d. costs.-- Galway Mercury.

     MELANCHOLY SUICIDE - Yesterday morning about nine o'clock Colonel Beauchamp, a retired officer, put an end to his existence, at a house in Dawson-street, by cutting his throat. An inquest was held on the body soon after the occurrence by Dr. Kirwan, one of the city coroners, when a verdict of "temporary insanity" produced by a severe attack of erratic gout was returned.

     ROW - At the fair of Newtown last week a man, named M'Guire, living beyond Crossmolina, after having a rencounter with another from Ballymanagh, whose name we have not heard, was attacked by a party of his opponent's friends, and, though supported by a few of his comrades, was so severely beaten that his life was despaired of for some days. The police who were on the spot interfered with promptness, but so sudden was the assault that they could not effectually save M'Guire.


     August 2, at Sligo, the lady of St. John Purcell, Provincial Bank, of a daughter.
     August 6 at Wine-street, Sligo, the lady of Dr. Homan, of a son.


     August 1, at Killnein Church, by the Rev. Willa Brown, brother to the bride, William Roycraft, Esq., of Danefort, county of Roscommon, to Emily, daughter of John Brown, Esq, County Inspector of the Leitrim Constabulary, Carrick-on-Shannon.


     July 31, Eliza, the beloved and only daughter of Thomas Philips, Esq., J.P., Ahafia, county Monaghan.


     The following is a copy of a letter received at the Colonial Office, from the Emigration Agent at Sydney, respecting the ship Thomas Arbuthnot, which conveyed upwards of 200 female orphans from the poorhouses of Ireland to new South Wales:- 
          "New South Wales, Colonial Secretary's Office, Sydney, 6th February 1860.
     "2. - The Thomas Arbuthnot arrived here on the 2d instant and having visited her on the morning after her arrival, I availed myself of the opportunity of inspecting the immigrants on board, in company with the emigration agent, and I have much pleasure in stating, that of the numerous emigrant ships I have visited, I have never seen one that equalled the Thomas Arbuthnot, as regards the healthy, cleanly, and orderly state of the emigrants, and the admirable cleanliness of every part o the 'tween decks. Not a death took place during the voyage, and there was not a single individual in the hospital on her arrival in the port, nor is there the slightest reason to believe that any immoral conduct occurred among the female passengers on their passage hither."


     Birr, Tuesday, 6th August - In yesterday's publication an announcement was made that Robert Pike, Esq., agent for Robert Cassidy, Esq., of Monasterevan, had been murdered on Saturday last near Parsonstown, the place of residence of Lord Rosse. The statement was unhappily too accurate, and since the assassination of the late Lord Norbury, thee has not been a murder so deliberate, audacious and revolting.
     Mr. Pike was agent for Mr. Robert Cassidy, of Monasterevan. He had been acting as such for more than two years, and the cause of his being sent to the King's County particularly was, that the tenants of Mr. Cassidy had for several years past entered into a combination against paying any rent. Mr. Pike, as Mr. Cassidy's agent, was compelled to bring ejectments against several of the tenants, and evict them from the holdings, in consequence of which he became obnoxious to the people, his only fault being his zeal and activity in carrying out the wishes of his employer. On last Monday morning seven or eight families were to be evicted off the lands of Killyon, and the assassins, by whom the valuable life of Mr. Pike had been taken, of course conceived that the evictions would be prevented if he were destroyed. Mr. Pike had been for some time past, apprehensive of being assassinated. Some months ago he was fired at and had a very narrow escape from death; he was sitting in his room taking tea when a shot was fired at him through the window, and several slugs lodged at a short distance from his head. He had been frequently advised by members of his family to give up the agency, as he was marked out for destruction; but he was a brave resolute man in the discharge of his duty; and would not be prevailed upon to abandon his post.
     On Saturday morning a man named John Holligan, a farmer, came into the market, which was held in the town of Birr, and when he arrived at the residence of Mr. Pike, he saw him in "the bawn," outside the door. Mr. Pike asked him if he was going to Birr? He replied in the affirmative.- "Well, then," said Mr. Pike, "wait a moment and I will go with you." Holligan waited for and accompanied him along the road to Birr, and when they had reached within two miles or so of the town a man passed them by. Mr. Pike was then on the right hand side of Holligan. Immediately after the man passed, Holligan heard a shot, and on turning around he saw the smoke from the pistol, and when the smoke cleared away he saw the ruffian who had previously passed them letting the pistol fall out of his hand to the ground, and then run in the direction of Killyon. Holligan afterwards saw a pistol in the hand of each of the parties- the murderer and the victim- observing each present it at the other. He next heard a shot, but could not tell from whence it came- believed it was from the pistol of Mr. Pike. The man then left the road and went into the bog. Mr .Pike again presented a pistol at him but it missed fire. Mr. Pike then returned and passed Holligan along the road; he had not gone more than 25 or 30 yards when Holligan, who had in the meantime kept his eye upon the second assailant, who went into the bog, heard another shot, turned round and saw Mr. Pike and that man in conflict. Holligan went up and separated them, and took from the villain the cane sword which he had snatched from Mr. Pike. By this time the other man had returned from the bog, and he presented a pistol at Holligan, telling him to be off or he would shoot him. Holligan then ran along the road and had gone a short distance only when he saw the man by whom Mr. Pike had been first attacked, beating him on the head while on the ground. Holligan escaped in terror and dismay to Birr, and communicated the facts to the police, who proceeded to the scene of the murder and found Mr. Pike lying dead upon the road, his pistols upon the person, and the pistol of one of the assassins near him. The police made every search in their power to apprehend the miscreants, but without effect and as yet neither of the men nor one of their accomplices has been discovered.
      The body of the deceased gentleman was removed into the hospital of Birr, and on Saturday evening an inquest was held by B.T. Midgely, Esq; coroner for the district.
     This fearful transaction occurred in the broad day light, upon an open, public road, where travellers and vehicles daily pass- in no glen, no lane, no mountain fastness, no ravine, no jungle, but on the common thoroughfare, with the full sunshine of Heaven beaming upon it- numbers of the peasantry going to market - several habited houses within a short distance of the spot, and nearly fifty people working in the bog; men they cannot be called, for they saw Mr. Pike murdered- they beheld the assassins running away after they had committed the diabolical crime, and not one persons followed to arrest them - not one of them came forward to give evidence before the coroner.
     The witness who deposed to the nature of the wounds inflicted upon the deceased was Dr. Baker. That gentleman stated that the deceased had several gun shot wounds in the back, chest and abdomen; the frontal bone of his skull was fractured; the fractures were both compound and comminuted. - The body presented a ghastly appearance. The inquiry was brief. The jury, after a short consultation, found a verdict of "Wilful murder against some person or persons unknown."
     This is a plain, unvarnished tale- a Protestant Irish agent is shot in the open day, upon a public road, because he dares to discharge his duty to his employer in endeavouring to confer on the payment of rent from a defaulting tenantry.
     One circumstance connected with this murder adds an item to the many which prove the absurdity, inconvenience, and inhumanity of the recent postal alterations, namely, that the brother of the deceased, - Mr. W. Pike, of Gardiner-street, Dublin- did not know till three o'clock on Monday that his brother had been shot, and was totally ignorant that an inquest had been held and a verdict found.-- Saunders.
     The King's County Chronicle of Wednesday says - "Just as we were preparing for press, we learned that two men have been marched in by the police, charged with being the persons who committed the murder." The same Journal informs us that although respectable persons in the neighbourhood were shocked at the horrible deed, a question generally asked by the humbler classes at Saturday's market in Birr, was - "Had they heard of the Pike, twelve stone weight, which had that morning been killed?" Such is the demoralization of, we fear, no inconsiderable portion of the peasantry on the confines of the county of Tipperary.


Ballina, Co. Mayo
Wednesday, August 21, 1850


     Pat Hunt, Winifred Garvey, and two children, all Irish, died on Saturday near Cambridge, of ignorantly eating poisonous mushrooms.
     Col. Beauchamp, a retired officer, put an end to his existence, at a house in Dawson-street, by cutting his throat on Sunday last. Dr. Kirwan, one of the city coroners, held an inquest, when a verdict of "temporary insanity" produced by severe erratic gout, was returned.
     An attack was made on the Rev. Mr. Massey, of the Mariner's church, Kingstown, on Sunday, while he was reading prayers, by an unfortunate lunatic. No personal violence was the result of the interruption.
     Two letters signed "Patrick William Ryan, William-street, Limierck," addressed to the Roman Catholic Prelates about to meet in Synod at Thurles, suggest that Archbishop M'Hale should move a resolution for adoption, defining the constitutional principle on which Irish Roman Catholics should proceed for the amelioration and legislative independence of Ireland! The writers' second suggestion is to solicit from the Pope a Jubilee for Ireland.
     Goof Port Wine is so scarce, that an eminent Dublin house is about purchasing the over stock of provincial holders.
     Hyacinth D'Arcy, Esq., of Clifden Castle, is appointed Inspector of schools by the Church Missionary Society, at a salary of 100 per annum.
     Mr. W. Robinson, Agricultural Lecturer, says, upon the potato disease now appearing - "The virus is first seen to destroy the leaves and stalks, and from them it is conveyed to the potato. Can there be anything more simple than to cut off the communication between the stalk and the potato? This will prevent the blight proceeding downwards. Cut off the stalks close to the ground, and cover the stumps remaining with fresh clay- this may yet save more. If a blight had never visited us, by cutting off the stalks, the potato would be better, larger, dryer and heavier."
     Cabin state passengers are now (in consequence of opposition) conveyed from Newcastle to Liverpool, with liberty to land and remain at the Isle of Man for six days at 5s.
     Friday night at Tullow, Carlow, James Codd, in the employ of John Whelan, Esq., of Rath, was murdered by a party of reapers. Thomas Kehoe is committed to abide his trial at the assizes as principal in the outrage.
     Mr. Robert Jones, of Holycross, is in Thurles bridewell, charged with the manslaughter of his servant girl, by giving her a stroke of a stick.
     Mr. Doyle, an Irishman, will succeed Cardinal Wiseman, as R.C. Bishop of London.
     Sunday evening the fowl house of the Cashel nunnery, which contained 14 ducks and some geese, was broken into and all the fowl destroyed. Father and son, both Roman Catholics, and in a reputable social position, are bailed to stand trial before sergeant Howley, for the disgraceful outrage.
     Mr. Samuel Jameson, of Banbridge, was found drowned in the river Bann on Friday morning.
     The Drogheda Corporation has reduced the Mayor's salary from 200 to 130.


     On the 18th inst., at Turlough, the lady of Wm. Malley, Esq, of a son.
     On the 12th inst., at Woolwich, the Lady of Captain J.H. Francklyn, Royal Artillery, of a daughter.
     At Greenfield, county Dublin, the lady of Stevenson C. Moore, Esq., of a daughter.


     August 6, in Galway, the Rev. P.S. Newman, of Arran, to Anne, eldest daughter of James Blake, Esq., of Tally Castle, both in that county.
     Lieut. J.W. Tottenham, 89th Regiment and nephew to Colonel George Fleming, Royal Engineers, to Annie H. Browne, daughter of the late Captain John Browne of Newtownberry.
     Rev. George R. Sanderson, editor of the Christian Guardian, to Miss Mary A. Tackaberry of the city of Toronto.
     At Toronto, Anthony R. Vyryan Crease, Esq., Royal Engineers, to Ellen Amelia Gifford, daughter of Dr. W. Winder, late of 49th Regiment.


     On Saturday night, the wine and spirit store in Hill-street, belonging to Mr. Joseph Purdy, was entered by some persons, doubtless with the intention of stealing. A mill-race runs past one side of the premises; and the fellows, crossing the race [ink blot] an entrance at the rere. By raising up the [ink blot] door step-stone, and creeping underneath the door. The watchman on the beat, perceiving light in the store, gave the alarm, and very soon after the house was surrounded by a large crowd. Then commenced a scene the like of which was never, perhaps, in this or any other town. The lads inside, seeing escape hopeless, and having partaken freely of the good things at their command, defended themselves by throwing bottles out of the windows, so that no one dare approach near the doors or windows of the house. They kept up a perfect shower of these dangerous missiles, inflicting sundry wounds and bruises on several of the police and crowd. At last the police effected an entrance into the lower part of the store, when they found that the boys had drawn up a ladder leading to the second story and let down a trap door, thus cutting off access to them from below. Another ladder was procured and after great exertions, the trap door was raised, but immediately there came such a shower of bottles down on the heads of those beneath, that they were glad to get out of the way. The rascals, thinking to escape by the roof, broke through it both in front and rere, and flung the slates at the police and crowd. The people, however, beat them back with stones. Finally, after several hours had been spent in fruitless efforts to make them prisoners, the police broke through the wall of the adjoining house, on the same level with the desperadoes, and arrested them. It was thought there were three or four prisoners, and if there were any more, they must have escaped during the battle. Next morning, when day dawned, the house looked a perfect wreck, and the streets were covered to a considerable distance with broken bottles.
     The two prisoners were brought up this morning. Their names are James Flinn, a sweep, aged about 24; and Arthur Murphy, a boy about 17 or 18 years old. Flinn had a rag about his shoulders, and all Murphy had on was a pair of terry canvass trousers and an old torn shirt.
     Informations to Quarter Sessions.-- Newry Telegraph.


-- The emigration to New York in the last week of July, amounted to the enormous number of 12,591.



Ballina, Co. Mayo
Wednesday, August 28, 1850


     An inquest was held at Creggan, parish of Kilmore Moy, on yesterday, by Meredith Thompson, Esq., coroner, on the body of a young man named Pat Rafter. From the evidence addressed it appeared the deceased rode his father's horse into a pasture field on Saturday last, when the animal became frightened and ran off violently and threw the boy, who became so entangled in a long rope or halter tied about the neck of the horse that he was dragged through a rocky field, by which he sustained such serious injury as terminated fatally on Monday morning. Dr. Whittaker held a post mortem examination on the body, and ascertained that death was caused by a fracture of the skull. The jury found a verdict in accordance with the Doctor's evidence.


     The blight in the potato crop has not advanced so rapidly last week as we apprehended would have been the case from the sudden unfavourable change observed the previous week. We have heard of fresh instances of the disease having attacked fields where the tubers were thought to be perfectly sound up to a few days since, which circumstance renders a large portion of the crop a matter of great uncertainty, and has caused an increase of anxiety. The grain crops are fast ripening, notwithstanding the changeable weather we have experienced during the last fortnight, and the sickle is already at work in a good many fields.


     On the evening of Sunday last a revolting murder was committed in the parish of Killofin, Barony of Clonderlaw, County of Clare, under the following horrifying circumstances: A labouring man named Patt Furey, residing in the townland of Slievedooly, resolved to seek employment at harvest work in one of the neighbouring counties, and left home on Saturday evening, giving his wife three for four shillings, which was his all, for her support until his return. His house was in one yard with a man named John Quinlivan, between whom and the deceased there existed some enmity; previous to Furey's departure it was agreed between himself and wife that two children, belonging to a neighbour named Shaughnessy should sleep with her, she having no family of her own. About nightfall on Sunday, when these children came to take up their abode with Mrs. Furey, the door was locked against them and they were terrified to hear groans, as if from some person in distress, insuing from the house, they ran in a fright and told their father, who promptly repaired to the spot, broke open the door, and to his horror found Bridget Furey apparently a corpse, the floor covered with her blood, her clothes and person so besmeared with the crimson flood of life that her identity was for a while doubtful. Shaughnessy asked for some person to accompany him for the police, and the person since accused of the commission of the crime with an effrontery and daring (worthy of a Ryan Puck) said he would go and he did go, to Labasheeda, but on their arrival there the Constable and some of the party were absent on other duty. Sub-Constables Hoye and Hickey went immediately to he spot and found Mrs. Furey not dead but unable to articulate one word, her brain was protruding from two frightful chasm, one in her forehead. The police seeing her perilous position adopted every possible stratagem to cause resuscitation, and as if Heaven willed that the assassin should not go unpunished, she rallied for a time, and declared in the presence of the police that it was John Quinlivan murdered her! The Police placed him at her bedside and asked her a second time to look up, and state who struck her, she opened one of her eyes, the other being broken in her head, looked at her murderer and said, "it was he killed me with a hatchet." She gave a dying shriek, fell back, and after a light tremor soon died of the ghastly wounds.

MURDER IN GALWAY - A barbarous murder was perpetrated on Saturday night last, near Clare, Galway. The name of the victim was Thomas Mullowney, who had a quarrel some time since with the sister of Wm. Glenmane, the person charged with the commission of the crime. Saturday night, at ten o'clock, deceased was met on the road near Clare Galway by Glennane, as he was returning from Galway. An altercation in reference to the quarrel took place, when suddenly Glennane drew out a knife and gave deceased several stabs with it in the abdomen and then fled. The wounded man was conveyed home, but lingered only until  Monday evening. An inquest was held upon the body and verdict of wilful murder returned against Glennane, who has not yet been arrested.


     It has been reported to us that a man named M'Keon, from Lisaniska, was murderously assaulted on his way home on Monday from the market of this town, by his father-in-law, James Healy, who is bailiff to the Hon. E.S. Perry, Healy's wife, and his two sons, who struck him with some iron instruments in such a manner that Doctor Smith, who is in attendance, entertains but slight hopes of his recovery. The cause of the attack is attributed to some family disputes, M'Keon and his wife not being on good terms for some time past.


     We thought that such things as seizures of Workhouse goods and chattels were at an end in the Union at least; but these happy imaginings, alas! have been dissipated by the news, bit it good or bad, of keepers having been placed on the Workhouse moveables by the Sheriff, at the suit of Mr. George S. Malley, for the recovery of the balance of a judgment obtained some months ago. Mr. Malley, it may be in the recollection of our readers, had this judgment put in force in October 1849, and bought in the property which he afterwards, at a considerable sacrifice, hired to the Guardians and voluntarily undertook to place the full amount of the sum he received for the hire of the bedding, &c. to the credit of the judgment debt. In this manner the greater part of the debt has been paid off, and the balance of the principal was offered to Mr. Malley out of the money advanced to pay the debts of the Union. This, however, Mr. Malley refused, because the interest and law costs would not be paid, and a receipt in full of all demands was required by the direction of the Poor Law Commissioners to be given on the receipt of the balance of the principal due. We have already commented on the great injustice done to the creditors by the refusal of the payment of the interest and costs incurred wherever judgments were obtained, the circumstance of this Union placing them in the power of the Commissioners, notwithstanding the express stipulation of the Guardians to defray all law expenses. To this Mr. Malley would not submit, and hence the execution laid on at his suit on last Friday and the sale advertised to take place on Friday next.

     RIBBONISM - On Sunday evening last, Acting Constable Whittaker and one of the party under his command, found a number of persons drinking in the house of James Monaghan, a publican at Rathcormack chapel, who has been long suspected for having a Ribbon Lodge held in his house. On the Acting Constable's entering the house he observed one Thomas M'Goldrick put a piece of paper into his pocket, which he suspected to be something connected with the ribbon system, and therefore endeavoured to secure it. Mr. Monaghan then shouted to him to put the paper into his mouth and destroy it, but Whittaker very promptly seized the fellow by the throat, thrust his hand into his mouth, and succeeded in extracting the paper. On this a tremendous struggle ensued, in which they broke all the glasses and jugs on the table, both Monaghan and M'Goldrick holding Whittaker and endeavouring with all their might to destroy the document, but he still held it, although the fellow hit his head severely and was near destroying one of his fingers. The Sub-Constable up to this stood at the door to prevent any of the party escaping, but seeing the two men use such violence towards the Acting Constable, he now came to his assistance - on which the rest of the party made their escape, leaving Monghan and M'Goldrick in the hands of the police, who succeeded in securing the document in question and arrested them both. They were brought before Captain Whelan, R.M., at an early hour the next day, who, on the informations of the Acting Constable, committed them both for trial at the next assizes of Sligo. The following is a copy of the document:-
     "What is your opinion of this bill? What bill do you mean? I mean the Tenant Right. It will serve the farmer. You are out of order, sir. Yes, when provoked. May the head of our church long reign in his station. Yes, and conquer his enemies through every nation."- Sligo Champion.


     BALLINA UNION - The usual weekly meeting of the Guardians of this Union was held in the Board Room on Saturday, Colonel K. Gore in the chair. Among the other Guardians present were Capt. J. Knox, Captain Atkinson, Mr. Jones, Mr. Crofton, Mr. G. Orme, Mr. A. Knox, Major J.J. Knox, M.J. Knox and Mr. Wills. Richard Bourke, Esq., Assistant Commissioner and Captain Hamilton, Inspector, were also in attendance.

... There were two tenders before the Board for the supply of Potatoes; one from Mr. E. Atkinson at 5d. per stone and the other from Mr. Wm. West at 3 1/2d. Brown bread being considered cheaper than potatoes, even at the latter figure, no contract was entered into.
     Mr. West was declared contractor for brown bread at 3 1/2d. per 4 lbs., and Mr. West and Mr. Duffy for white bread at 5 1/2d. per 4 lbs.
     James Callaghan got the contract for beef and mutton at 3d. per lb.
     Mr. Burke [sic] called the attention of the Guardians to a classification of the paupers which appeared to him calculated to secure greater regularity and economy in the working of the union. He supposed that two of the auxiliary houses would be retained - that in Ardnare, known as White's, and Casement's store. The main Workhouse (in which 1,300 paupers can be conveniently accommodated) he suggested to be appropriated to the infirm men and women, able-bodied men, nurses and infants and children from two to five years of age. In Casement's store he proposed to place all the able-bodied women; and White's, as the most suitable, to be set apart for schools and the training of the boys, at 16 years and under, in agriculture, for which purpose the Commissioners would sanction the taking of twenty-five acres of land in the vicinity of the schools on a memorial to that effect.
     The Guardians fully concurred with Mr. Bourke in his suggestions, and named Colonel Gore, Capt. John Knox, Mr. Gardiner, Mr. A. Knox, Mr. G. Orme and Mr. W. Joynt, as a committee to make enquiries and report to the Board on the next day for the giving agricultural instruction to the orphan and other boys of 16 years and under who may be inmates of the Workhouse...
     State of Workhouse Week ending August 17.
No. in Workhouse as per last return..........3199
Admitted...................................................   27
Discharged................................................ 338
Died..........................................................   16
Remaining on above date...........................2870


- Anthony Lynch, Esq., eldest son of M.A. Lynch, Esq., J.P. of Nile Lodge, is appointed Postmaster of Galway, at the instance of M.J. Blake, Esq., M.P.
- Mr. Dargan, the railway contractor, is getting a powerful flax mill fitted up on his flax farm near Rathcormack.
- The new carriages of the Great Northern Railway are so lofty that a man six feet high can stand upright in them.
- A correspondent in Cincinnati states that "Irishmen never work till they go to America." And he says: - "You'll never see a rosy cheek here."

     THE EARLDOM OF ROSCOMMON - Another claimant appears, we understand, for the ancient earldom, in the person of Z. Wallace, Esq., proprietor of the Anglo Celt, Cavan newspaper, who, it is said, not only entertains strong hopes of succeeding to the vacant coronet, but also of receiving a portion of the estate once attached thereto, and upon which his family had a rent charge up to the year 1845.


     On the night of Wednesday some person or persons maliciously levelled to the ground eight large cocks of hay on part of the lands of Cruckawn; occupied by Mr. Campion. As a proof of this appreciation of the conduct of Mr. Campion, who has always given general employment and whose person and purse have always been foremost in all local charities, the people of the neighbourhood assembled on the following day - holiday in the Romish Church - and made up the hay. Mr. Campion is one of those who have been held up to public odium at a late tenant-right meeting in Castlecomer. So much for the "Upas" influence in that locality. This is the second whiteboy offence occurring in that neighbourhood within a few days.-- Kilkenny Moderator.


     At the recommendation of the Right Hon. the Earl of Erne, the Lord Chancellor has appointed the Hon. Henry Chrichton, of Knockballymore House, to the Commission of the Peace for the county of Fermanagh.
     The Lord Chancellor has been pleased to appoint Bellingham Mauleverer, of Tamnymullen, Esq., a magistrate for the county of Derry, on the recommendation of the Lieutenant of the county, Sir Robert Ferguson, Bart., M.P.
     The Lord Chancellor has appointed Christopher D. Carleton, Esq., to the Commission of the Peace for the county Cork on the recommendation of the Right Hon., the Earl of Bandon, Lord Lieutenant of that county.

Submitted by cml


Ireland Home Page
County Mayo

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.