The Cork Examiner, 7 October 1921
   A supplement to the “London Gazette” contains the following—War Office, Oct. 5th.—Regular Forces ; Special Reserve of Officers ; reserve units (infantry).—4th Munster Fusiliers—Lieut. J. Lundon relinquishes his commission on appointment to the R.A.F., 17th June, 1920.


   A shocking tragedy occurred on Wednesday evening a few miles outside Cork as a result of which Maurice Christopher Ahern, aged 23 years, of Monard, near Cork, lost his life. On his way home from the city he was held up by a man who attempted to rob him, and because Aherne [sic] refused to part with his money, the assailant fired, killing him.

   Interviewed by an “Examiner” representative yesterday morning, the deceased's father who was very visibly affected by the great shock of his son's tragic death, said his son was killed about twenty past seven o'clock on Wednesday evening. The tragedy occurred at Rathpeacon, at the two-mile-stone on the new Mallow road. His son had been delivering milk in the city, as was his daily custom, and was on his way home at the time of the shooting. He was driving in a pony-milkvan, and was accompanied by a friend of his, a man named Daniel Healy, of Coolowen.

   When they had reached the two-mile-stone, a man stepped into the road in front of the car. He had a revolver in his hand, and raised the weapon as he shouted to the deceased to halt. Ahern pulled up the pony, and the next order was for both he and Healy to “get off.” They obeyed, and stood on the road with their hands up. The armed man addressed Ahern, and demanded his money. The deceased, of course, was in the habit of bringing home varied sums of money after each delivery of milk. Sometimes these amount to £10, but there were more often somewhat less that this. The armed man persisted in his demand for the money even after Ahern refused to give it to him. He threatened to shoot unless the money was handed over, but Ahern still refused. Pointing his revolver at the deceased, the man said, “I'll fire if you don't give it to me!” Ahern still ignored the threat, whereupon the armed man, counting slowly “One—two—three—” fired at Ahern as he said “three.” The deceased, struck by the bullet through his head, collapsed. On subsequent examination it was found that the bullet had entered one of his eyes and passed out the back of his head, so that death must have been instantaneous.

   When the assailant fired, Healy afraid that he too would be shot, decided to make a dash for safety, and he was successful in getting away uninjured. The pony bolted on hearing the shot, so that there were none left on the road but the armed assailant, with the dead body of the man he had just killed, stretched at his feet.

   Some time afterwards another milkman, James Mullane, of Monard, was passing on his way home, and was horrified to see the body of Maurice Ahern lying on the road. He was joined a few minutes later by James Mulcahy, of Kilcronan, and the two managed to remove the body into a neighbouring house. A priest was sent for, and in a short time Rev. Father O'Flynn, C.C., Whitechurch, arrived and administered the last rites of the Church. The body was next placed on a car and removed to the residence at Monard of the deceased's father, where it still lies, and where it is expected an inquiry into the tragedy will be held. The deceased's relatives have made a full report to the I.R.A. authorities and the to I.R.A. liaison officer.

   The deceased was of splendid physique, being over six feet in height, and was a young man of excellent character. He was a member of the I.R.A., and was held in the greatest esteem not alone by his comrades in that body, but by all who knew him. He was the youngest of a family of three boys and a girl. It has been ascertained that deceased's watch, as well as his money, were missing from the body when it was discovered.

“Believed the Revolver Empty”
   Interviewed by an “Examiner” representative, Mr. Daniel Healy, who was the deceased's companion on the occasion, told a story very similar to that outlined above. When they were halted the man was standing more or less in the ditch, where he had, apparently been concealed, and he was in a position below the level of the road. Mr. Healy was on that side of the car, and the armed man came to the car and felt his pockets, and asked him if he had any money. They were both then ordered to “get out of that car,” and they did so. Addressing Ahern, the man ordered him to hand over the money, and, Ahern refusing he threatened to shoot. Once he commenced counting “one, two, three,” but stopped again to demand the money. Finally, he again counted “one, two, three,” and as he uttered the word “three,” he fired killing Ahern.

   Here Mr. Healy interposed with an explanation of Ahern's determined refusal to part with the money, in spite of the man's threats. In the same district a man was held-up a considerable time ago, and money was demanded in the same fashion. This gentleman, too, persisted in refusing to hand over his money, as he guessed his assailant to be really unarmed. His guess proved correct. The revolver was either empty, or, more probably, a dummy weapon, so that the robber could not make good his threats to shoot. Consequently this gentleman escaped with his money. “It is only quite recently,” said Mr. Healy, “that Ahern told me this story. He must have misjudged the situation on Wednesday night, and believed that the man could not fire.”

   Mr. Healy added that he himself was under the impression that the man could not fire—that the revolver was either unloaded or a dummy. The repeated threats, without any attempt being made to put them into force, naturally tended to confirm this belief, and it was not until the shot had actually been discharged that Mr. Healy realised the “hold-up” was genuine, and that the man was prepared to shoot. The shooting, continued Mr. Healy, occurred about a quarter to half a mile beyond what is locally known as the “one-eyed bridge.” It was between quarter past and half past seven, and was almost dark, so that close as he was to him, Mr. Healy could not see his assailant very well, and consequently he is not able to give an accurate description of the man. He seemed to be well-dressed and was not masked, although his cap, which was a dark one, was pulled down over the forehead. When he spoke at first and said, “Put your hands up!” there did not seem to be anything unusual about his accent, but his subsequent remarks were made in an English accent. In Mr. Healy's opinion, however, the voice was disguised.

   When Ahern fell dead on the road Mr. Healy ran back towards Cork to warn the others coming along the road, as he feared there might be a gang of men working there instead of only the one who had accosted them with such tragic results. “Every minute,” said Mr. Healy, “I expected to get a bullet in my back as I was running.” The man, however, did not fire again. After running for about a quarter of a mile Mr. Healy met Mullane in his car with a few others. He stopped them and told them what had occurred, and after consultation they decided to make a detour via a boreen and get help at Mr. Daniel Walsh's. Mr. Healy, accompanied by a few others, continued on till they came out on the main road beyond where the shooting had occurred, and here they inquired at a cottage if Ahern had yet passed home. Mr. Healy was at that time not aware of his friend's fate. While they were at the cottage the pony passed them at a gallop. He had not bolted at first, but apparently something frightened him some time after the shooting. The car was empty, and they then realised that Ahern had been hit.

   A man riding on a bicycle next passed, remarking as he did so that there was a burglar “above there.” This man on the bicycle seemed to be very like the man who had shot Ahern, and in Mr. Healy's opinion, he was the same man. Mr. Healy was careful to explain, however, that he was by no means sure of this. His reasons for believing the two were the same man were various. Firstly, the description and tone of the voice were much the same. Secondly, the man on the bicycle had come from the direction of the shooting, and was not seen by anyone going in that direction, or was not seen by the men whom Mr. Healy met on the road. Thirdly, even if he saw Ahern's body he could not know definitely that there was a burglar on the road, as he was not present at the shooting. Fourthly, he cycled away, a most unusual thing for any ordinary passerby to do under the circumstances.

   A man named J. J. Murphy, of Coolowen, then went down to the scene of the shooting, followed by the little group of whom Mr. Healy was one. Murphy examined the body and said Ahern was dead. Mr. Healy then went over and knelt beside his dead friend. The others also knelt down on the roadside, and all commenced to pray. Mr. Healy recited the Act of Contrition, bending over Ahern's body, and then continued with the Rosary and other prayers. A priest had meantime been sent for, and when he arrived, Mr. Healy set off to break the sad news to deceased's family. The body was taken at first into a neighbour's house, Monard, yesterday, a jury having been sworn and the body viewed, on the application of the deceased's father the Foreman, with the assent of the jury, gave permission for the removal of the body to the Blarney Catholic Church. The inquest will be held at Blarney this morning. The remains were accompanied to the Church by a large number of friends and acquaintances, and the deepest sorrow was manifested on all sides.

   London, Thursday.—Mr. John J. Pulleyn and the Hon. Richard Campbell, both of New York City, arrived in London last night, having crossed on the Lapland, and are at the Carlton Hotel. Mr. Pulleyn is the President of the Emigrant Industrial Savings Bank, the largest Savings Bank in the world, with assets totalling £1,000,000,000 (a billion), and is Treasurer of the American Committee for Relief in Ireland. Judge Campbell, who is Secretary of the Relief Committee, is a member of the firm of Gilbert, Campbell and Barrance, attorneys, of New York.

   Mr. Campbell and Judge Campbell leave for Ireland to-night. They said to-day that the American Committee for Relief collected by popular subscription in the United States a sum equivalent to £1,250,000, at the present rate of exchange, of which some £250,000 had already been distributed in Ireland through the Irish White Cross Society. Of this, about £100,000 had been distributed in Belfast, they said in weekly doles to the families of the ten thousand workmen driven from employment in the Belfast shipyards more than a year ago.

   In visiting Ireland they return the visit paid to New York by the Lord Mayor of Dublin and Mr. R. A. Anderson, representing the Irish White Cross, in May last, at which time an agreement was entered into between the American Committee and the Irish White Cross as to the manner in which the American Funds were to be distributed.

   Thurles, Thursday.—About 5.20 a.m. this morning, Garryvielheen street, Thurles, was thrown into a state of terror when four houses were successively visited by a party of six or seven men, and the occupants savagely beaten with sticks. At each door, in answer to an inquiry from within, “Who is there?” they replied “the I.R.A.” When they were admitted into the house of Michael Spillane, they demanded a candle, and after some parley, they flashed lights from pocket flash-lamps about the house. They then asked where Johnny Spillane was, and on the latter rising up from the bed the intruders seized him. His mother screamed and tried to save him, but the party shouted out they were the men for the I.R.A., and savagely attacked Johnny Spillane with sticks. Mrs. Spillane states her son was beaten and kicked in a most brutal manner.

   The whole street was roused by the screams and the cries. The family, including the boy, strenuously denied he belonged to the I.R.A., but all their entreaties had no avail, and the boy was almost at the point of death, his head and other portions of his body being a mass of cuts and bruises.

   Similar scenes were enacted at the house of Thomas Moroney (a baker), whose son was attacked, and is in a very precarious condition in hospital. Cornelius Ryan, a labourer, was also badly beaten, and John Ryan, whose house was also entered, was the victim of a murderous assault. Those houses are all in the same street. John Ryan ran to a house a couple of hundred yards off, and having called for assistance, fell in a dead faint at the doorstep. When the occupants, who were greatly frightened, came out they found him lying like a slaughtered beast at the door. He is also in hospital, and it is not known if he will recover. Most of the assaulted young fellows, as far as is known, never took part in politics.

   The attackers, it is said, wore long coats, and in the dark could not be recognised, but several members of the families visited say they can swear to recognising the voice of one of the attackers. The whole series of affairs has caused the most intense excitement and horror.

   At a meeting of the North Liberty Branch of the Irish Farmers' Union held last evening, at which Mr. Tim Corcoran presided, a vote of condolence, on the proposition of Mr. Joseph Forrest, seconded by Mr. Maurice Burke, supported by all present, was passed unanimously to the parents of the late Mr. Maurice Christopher Aherne [sic] on his tragic death.

   COUGHLANNASON—On the 13th Sept., at St. Finbarr's (South), by the Rev. T. O'Leary, assisted by Rev. Father Clement, O.S.F.C., William, third son of John and Ellen Coughlan, Bandon Road, Cork, to Mollie, eldest daughter of Mrs. and the late George Nason, Quaker Road, Cork.
   SMITHCHAMBERS—On Oct. 3rd, at Church of the Apostles, Pimlico, London, by the Rev. Father O'B. England, Walter, son of Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Smith, West Hartlepool, to Aileen, younger daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. Chambers, Waterville, Co. Kerry.

   AHERN—On October 5th (shot on way home), Maurice Christopher (I.R.A.), aged 24 years, youngest son of Maurice Ahern. Deeply regretted by his sorrowing parents, brothers and sister. R.I.P. Funeral on this day (Friday) from Blarney Catholic Church, at 2 o'clock, for Garrycloyne.
   BIRMINGHAM—On Oct. 5th, at his residence, 6, Glenview Terrace, Dillon's Cross, John Birmingham. Aged 75 years. Deeply regretted by his sorrowing wife and family. May Jesus have mercy upon his soul. R.I.P. Funeral on to-morrow (Saturday), at 3 p.m., from St. Joseph's Church, Mayfield, for Rathcooney.
   BRADLEY—On Oct. 5th, at her residence, Main Street, Dunmanway, Mary Bradley, relict of the late Cornelius Bradley, and mother of Michael Bradley, interned in Ballykinlar Camp. R.I.P. Funeral for St. Patrick's Cemetery on this day (Friday) at 3 p.m.
   COSGRAVE—On the 6th inst., at his residence, 140, Ballyhooly Road, Timothy Cosgrave. Deeply regretted by his wife and children. R.I.P. Funeral on to-morrow (Saturday), at 3 o'clock from St. Joseph's Church, Mayfield, for Rathcooney. 
   STAFFORD—On 5th October, at her residence, Glen Ilen, Skibbereen, Harriet, daughter of the late Dr. Donovan, and widow of Dr. Stafford, late of Suirville, Tipperary. Funeral from Pro-Cathedral on this day (Friday), for Rosscarbery, at 1 o'clock.

   GRIFFIN—Fourth Anniversary—In sad and loving memory of my dear husband, John Griffin, who died at his residence, 11, South Main Street, Bandon, on October 7th, 1917. On his soul Sweet Jesus have mercy. Queen of the Most Holy Rosary pray for him.—(Inserted by his loving wife.) 
   McDONNELL—First Anniversary—In loving memory of our darling son and only brother, Patrick Michael McDonnell, M.B. (N.U.L.), of 14 Westbourne Place, Queenstown, who departed this life Oct. 7th, 1920. Queen of the Most Holy Rosary pray for him. Masses for the repose of his soul at St. Michael's and St. John's, Dublin, and St. Colman's Cathedral, Queenstown.—(Inserted by his fond parents and sisters.)
   RADLEY—In sad and ever loving memory of our darling child, Kathleen Radley, who died at her grand parents residence, Lower Aghada, on the 7th of October, 1918. Sadly missed and deeply mourned.
   RYAN—First Anniversary—In sad and ever loving memory of James Ryan, who died at his residence, 12, St. Patrick's Terrace, Lower Road, on Oct. 7th, 1920, R.I.P.—(Inserted by his loving wife and family.)
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 8 October 1921
Verdict of Murder
At 12 o'clock yesterday, Mr. George B. Horgan, LL.B., solr., Deputy Coroner, held an inquest at Corcoran's Hotel, Blarney, to inquire into the circumstances of the death of Maurice Christopher Aherne [sic], 24. I.R.A., Monard, Whitechurch, who was shot dead while returning home from Cork on Wednesday night, 5th inst., on the public road at Rathpeacon, by some person at present unknown. All the arrangements for the inquest were in the hands of the I.R.A. police, who were represented at the inquest by the Brigade Officer. The following jury were sworn :—Messrs. Ed. Aherne (foreman), Ml. Buckley, Laurence McNamara, Patrick Sullivan, James O'Mahony, Timothy Forrest, Dl. Buckley (Kilcully), Jeremiah Crowley, Dl. Buckley, John Walsh, Daniel Delaney, Jas. O'Riordan, Edward Flynn, Edward Scully, and James Murphy.

Maurice Ahern, father of the deceased, deposed that his son went into Cork to deliver milk twice daily. About 7.40 on the 5th inst. he was told by Mr. Daniel Healy, Coolowen, that his son was lying on the road, and that he (Mr. Healy) was afraid he was dead. The pony having come back with nobody on the car. Witness was going towards the place when Mr. Healy spoke to him. He then proceeded along the road and was taken into Mr. Lynch's house. He went into the house and there he saw his son dead.

To the Coroner—Witness did not know how much money his son would be bringing home. The sums varied, but witness did not know the average amount. His son was selling witness's milk, but was keeping the money himself as he paid witness for the milk. A sum of £2 3s 0s was found on his body, but his watch was missing.

To the Foreman—Witness could not say whether his son had ever brought home less than £2 3s 0d. Witness did not know the amounts of money his son brought home.

To the Brigade Officer of the I.R.A. Police—The deceased left home that evening at 6 o'clock. He usually returned at half-past seven or eight o'clock. The £2 3s 0d was found in the deceased's hip pocket. When he came home at night he usually took the money out of his front pocket and counted it. When his clothes were examined on Wednesday night deceased had no money in his front pocket.

To the Coroner—The watch deceased had was not very valuable. When witness met Mr. Healy it was fairly dark.

Daniel Joseph Healy, accountant, employed by Messrs. Suttons, Ltd., South Mall, Cork, residing at Coolowen, was the next witness. He deposed that he met the deceased about a quarter to seven on Wednesday evening at Blackpool, near the church. Deceased was on his way home at the time. He had his pony and milk-cart with him and pulled up when he saw witness. Deceased, who lived not far from the witness, asked him if he would care for a lift. Witness acquiesced, and got into the van. They drove along the Commons road, going at a sling-trot, but now and again a little faster. It took them about 20 or 25 minutes to get to Rathpeacon.

Coroner—What actually happened then?

Witness, continuing, said they were going along the road after calling at a cottage, and were chatting together, when a man suddenly appeared at the lefthand side of the road. He ran towards them, flourishing a revolver, and ordered them to stop and put their hands up. It was dusky at the time. Witness here, in reply to the Coroner, gave a description of the man, added that from his general behaviour “there was no doubt he was an accomplished bandit.” Continuing his evidence, witness said, in reply to a question from the Coroner, that he did not see any bicycle about. He could see the man's revolver quite clearly. After ordering them to put up their hands, the man approached the side of the car nearest him, which was the side at which witness was sitting. Glancing down the road towards the city and still holding the revolver in his hand, the man said to witness “Have you any money on you?” Witness, replying to him said, “Surely a father of ten children, on a weekly salary, would not have much spare money.” When the man first spoke and told them to put up their hands, there was nothing unusual in his voice. But when he repeated witness's answer “Father of ten children?”—he spoke in what witness took to be an English accent. At the same time he felt witness's pocket and while doing so he continued “keeping an eye ” towards the city. After he had examined witness's pockets, the man leaned across witness and felt Ahern's pockets. The car was narrow and low, so that the man had not much difficulty in leaning over. He then said, “Get out of that car.” Deceased and witness both got out of the car, on the same side, namely that on which the man was standing. The man faced deceased first. Witness here commented that from his actions the man probably knew who he was looking for all right. He then said to the deceased “Give up the money.” The deceased refused, saying “I will not.” The man again demanded the money, and deceased said it was not his. The man then told deceased he would fire if deceased would not hand over the money, but deceased still refused. Again deceased was asked for the money several times under threats of firing, but he maintained his refusal to part with the money. This went on for some time, the conversation lasting from five to ten minutes—probably about seven minutes.

Coroner—What happened then?

Witness, continuing, said the man counted, “One, two, three”—but paused again to demand the money. Witness here interjected that the man, before this dialogue started, turned to the witness and asked whose was the money witness had. Witness replied “My employers,” and then being asked who they were, told him. The man then turned his attention to Ahern. Finally the man asked deceased under penalty of being shot to hand over the money, and when deceased once more refused, counted “One, two, three,” with a slight pause between each word. After he said “three” the man again asked for the money, and when the deceased refused the man fired. As the shot rang out, witness turned and ran towards the city. He ran about a quarter of a mile. He did not know then that the deceased had been killed. Deceased never uttered a sound when the shot was fired. Witness thought it might have been a blank shot, or have failed to hit Ahern.

Answering the brigade officer of police, witness said when the man spoke first it seemed to be in an ordinary Southern accent. The man's search of both witness and deceased did not appear to have been for arms. Robbery was unquestionably the motive. The body was lying on the left hand side of the road going from Cork when next witness saw it. The head was facing the left-hand ditch, and the legs towards the centre of the road. It was possible for the man to have a bicycle concealed there. After the shot was fired witness ran down the road for about a quarter of a mile and met James Mullane and a boy. While he was telling Mullane about the occurrence he saw a cyclist passing, the man riding the bicycle having come from the direction of the shooting. He appeared to witness to be the same man as the man who had held them up, and witness remarked this to Mullane at the time. The cyclist passed quickly—in fact shot past like a flash.

Coroner—Riding very quickly?

Witness—Oh, very fast.

Continuing, witness said there was a down hill at that particular spot. Witness had his back turned and did not see the cyclist until the cyclist was actually passing him. Witness was talking and did not hear everything the man said. Mullane told him the cyclist had said, “There is a burglar above there,” but witness, who was talking himself, only caught the words “——above there.”

A Juror—Would it have been a “murder” above there?

Witness—I did not hear it myself, but Mullane said “burglar.” Witness, continuing said the cyclist passed so quickly that they had not the time to stop him, even though he (witness) suspected the man was the same as he who had held them up. Witness and his companions made a detour, to get help, as he thought there might be a gang of assailants there, and came out on the road beyond where the shooting took place. Returning he found the body in the position already described—on the right side going towards the city, on the left going towards the country.

To the Foreman—Witness frequently got a lift home from the deceased though more often from John Joe Murphy. It would not be possible for the cyclist to pass along the road without seeing the body. A juror here asked was the body lying face downwards or on its back, and the witness replied, “On its back, not face downwards.” The juror remarked that that would account for the money having been left in the hip pocket, although there was none in the front pocket, and the watch too, was gone.

Dr, Michael Donovan, Whitechurch, stated that he examined the body of deceased on Thursday evening at Mr. Ahern's residence at Monard. He found there was what appeared to be a revolver wound at the inner side of the left eye. This was an entrance wound. At the back of the head there was a larger wound which witness took to be an exit wound. The bullet passed in almost a straight line through the head, the wounds being almost opposite. There was a superficial wound on the left eyebrow such as could be caused by a fall. It was not a deep wound—merely superficial. Shock due to a bullet passing through the brain was the cause of death. Witness did not find any particles of lead or anything of that nature. Death could be instantaneous from such a wound.

James Mullane, Monard, Whitechurch, said that on the evening in question, about twenty-past seven, he was driving home in the car when he saw Mr. Healy running towards him. Mr. Healy, who looked very excited, told witness to stop, and said “Don't go up that road as there is a robber there and he has attacked Maurice Ahern.” Mr. Healy added that he heard the explosion and ran away. While conversing with him witness saw a cyclist who had come down the road, pass them. Neither witness nor Mr. Healy saw him approach. After passing them and when he had got a distance of twenty yards, the cyclist shouted back “There is a burglar above there.” The cyclist, who did not stop, was going very quickly. Mr. Healy then said to witness, referring to the cyclist, “That must be he.” Witness made a detour. He wanted to go up the road but the others would not let him, for fear there might be a gang of assailants there. They consequently made a detour, as Mr. Healy had described, and went for help, after which they went to where the body was lying in the position already described by Mr. Healy.

A juror commented on the cyclist's strange remark, and said he wondered why the cyclist said nothing about the body, when he could not have failed to see it. It was very suspicious, and he thought it showed the cyclist was at least concerned in the affair.

This concluded the evidence.

The Coroner said, in summing up, that they had not so much light yet thrown on the identity of the man who had actually committed the terrible deed, but it was quite clear that the deceased was murdered by some person at present unknown. They could only hope that this unknown person would be discovered and captured and that he would be brought to justice. The evidence showed very clearly that the motive was robbery and he suggested that the jury return a verdict of murder by some person unknown, on the public highway.

The jury then found as follows :—“The deceased, Maurice Christopher Ahern, was murdered on the public highroad at Rathpeacon, County Cork, on the 5th day of October, 1921, by being shot in the head with a revolver by a person unknown, whose object was robbery.” The jury, the Coroner and the Brigade Officer of Police all expressed sympathy with the relatives of the deceased.

The funeral of Mr. Ahern took place almost immediately after the inquest had concluded, from Blarney Church, to which the body was removed Thursday night for Garrycloyne. The cortege was immense, and large numbers walked after the hearse. Hundreds of cars and traps of all description were present. The chief mourners were :—Maurice Ahern (father), Mrs. Ahern (mother), Denis and John Ahern (brothers), Miss Nora Ahern (sister), Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Cashman and Mr. and Mrs. Denis Cashman (uncles and aunts), Mr. and Mrs. David Kenneally (do.), Mrs. Harte (aunt), Daniel Delaney, John and Mrs. Ahern, Mrs. Cashman (Killeagh), Patrick Ahern, Tom, Michael and Denis Ahern, Edward and John Ahern, etc. (cousins), Mr. P. Ryan, Relieving Officer, and Mr. Wm. Ryan.

As already stated there was an immense attendance of the general public, and a number of beautiful wreaths were placed on the grave. The officiating clergymen were :—Very Rev. M. Canon Barrett, P.P., Blarney; Rev. Father O'Flynn, C.C., Whitechurch, and Rev. Father Whalan, C.C., Blarney. The funeral arrangements were carried out successfully by T. Seacy, Undertaker, The Square, Blackpool.

Submitted by dja
The Southern Reporter, 8 October 1921
Cork Tragedy
A deed of a description truly appalling was enacted near the city last Wednesday night. A young man named Maurice Christopher Ahern, son of a farmer, was sent to deliver milk in the city and to drive home in a pony milk van. On Wednesday night he was in the car, and with him was a companion named Daniel Healy. The car was in the vicinity of Rathpeacon, when a man advanced in the darkness—it was about 8 o'clock at the time—and compelled the car to stop. The man covered Ahern with a revolver, felt Ahern's pockets, and asked him if he had any money, and if he had to hand it over. That Ahern refused to do, and the man indulged in a series of threatening counts of "One, two, three," and finally fired. The shot killed Ahern. Healy fled in the darkness, and raised an alarm.
Submitted by dja
The Southern Reporter, 15 October 1921
   At a Coroner's inquest in Blarney into the death of Maurice C. Aherne (24), I.R.A., Monard, Whitechurch, who was shot dead on the high road on October 5th when returning home from Cork, the jury found that the crime was committed by a person unknown, whose object was robbery. The arrangements at the inquest were in the hands of the I.R.A. police who were represented by a Brigade officer.
   Daniel J. Healy, Coolowen, who was in company with Aherne when he was killed detailed the facts of the shooting as already told by him, and gave a description of the man who held them up and fired the fatal shot. Answering the Brigade officer, he said when the man spoke first it seemed to him an ordinary southern accent, His search of witness and deceased did not appear to have been for arms. Robbery was unquestionably the motive.
   Maurice Aherne, father of the deceased said he did not know how much money his son would be bringing home. The sums varied. His son was selling witness's milk but was keeping the money himself, as he paid witness for the milk. A sum of £2 3s was found on his body but his watch was missing.
   The medical evidence was that death was caused by a bullet which entered the left eye, passed through the brain, and went out at the back of the head. The Coroner (Mr. G. B. Horgan, solr.) said much light had not yet been thrown on the identity of the man who had actually committed the terrible deed. They could only hope that this unknown person would be discovered and captured and that he would be brought to justice.
   The evidence showed very clearly that the motive was robbery. The jury, Coroner, and the brigade officer expressed sympathy with the relatives of deceased. At the funeral, which took place shortly after, there was a large attendance of the general public.
Submitted by dja
The Southern Star, 15 October 1921
Cork Co. Evicted Tenants Advisory Committee
   The monthly meeting of the above was held in the rooms, Oliver Plunkett St., Cork, on Friday. Mr. W. T. Murphy presided. The Hon. Sec. Mr. P. O'Brien read communications from the following relative to their claims to their farms, which they claim a right to re-instatement or otherwise compensation in lieu of being provided with land, viz.: Michael Condon, Passage ; P. Collins, Riverstick ; Thomas Attridge, Castletownsend ; Florence McCarthy, Faharlin, Carrigaline ; James Aherne, Douglas ; C. O'Mahony, Adamstown, Ballinahassig ; Alice Riordan, Bantry ; Jerh Connolly, Bantry ; Timothy Mescall, Watergrasshill ; Thomas Murray, Castletownbereffi [sic] ; Mary O'Sullivan, Bandon ; Matthew and Janie Hourihane, Skibbereen ; Mrs. J. Hogan, Ballineen ; Joseph Wood, Castleventry, Clonakilty ; Dan Leahy, Midleton ; John Donovan, Clonakilty ; Patrick O'Donovan, Clonakilty ; Mrs. Murphy, Banteer ; James Aherne, Adamstown, Ballygarvan.
   The Committee decided on holding a meeting on the 21st inst. when arrangements will be made to communicate with the present occupiers of the farms sought for, with a view to come to a satisfactory understanding with both parties, which would save undue trouble.
Submitted by dja

Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.