The Cork Examiner, 9 May 1912

Liverpool, Wednesday.
Messrs. Quilliam, Liverpool, solicitors, acting on behalf of relatives of Thos. Hart, marine fireman, of Liverpool, supposed to have been lost in the Titanic disaster, have recieved a statement from his mother. She says that her son has turned up, and informs her that he had his discharge book stolen from him. Someone evidently signed on the Titanic with Hart's name and credentials, and it was he and not Hart who was drowned.
Submitted by dja

The Cork Examiner, 11 May 1912

(From Our Correspondent.)
Clonmel, Friday.    
   Miss Katie McCarthy, daughter of Mr. Patrick McCarthy, farmer, Ballygurtin, midway between Cahir and Bansha, has written home to her father, stating that she was the second to last to leave the Titanic on the night of the memorable tragedy.
   It will be remembered that Miss McCarthy left home in company with Miss Katie Connolly, of Tipperary ; Miss Katie Peters, Ballydrohid, and Mr. Roger Tobin, Ballycamon, the latter three being near neighbours of hers.
   Miss McCarthy's letter, which is written from New Jersey, where she is now with her sister, is as follows:—
   “About twelve o'clock on Sunday night Roger Tobin called us to get up, but told us not to be frightened, as there was no danger. To make sure, however, of our safety, he told us to get lifebelts. There were three of us in the room—Katie Peters, Katie Connolly, and myself. When Roger Tobin called us I wanted them to come up on deck, but they would not come. They appeared to think that there was no danger. That was the last I saw of them. I then left the room, and on going out I met a man from Dungarvan, who took me up to the second class boat deck, where they were putting out the boats. I was put into one boat, but was taken out of it again as it was too full. I was in the last boat to leave the ship, and was the second last person put into it. This was a short time before the ship went down. We were only just out of the way when the ship split in two and sank. We remained in the boat all night until near eight o'clock next morning, when we were rescued by the Carpathia. Our boat was so full I thought it would go down every moment, and one of the boats capsized when we were leaving the sinking ship. I did not, however, feel at all frightened, and did not fully realize the danger and the full nature of the awful tragedy until I was safe on board the Carpathia. When we were put on board the Carpathia we were immediately given restoratives and put to bed. I slept for an hour and then got up, feeling all right. When we landed in New York on Thursday night at eleven o'clock we were met by a number of Sisters of Charity nurses, who took us up to St. Vincent's Hospital, where we were treated with the greatest kindness.”
Submitted by dja

The Cork Examiner, 16 May 1912

New York, Wednesday
The White Star Line has received a marconigram from the Oceanic, dated May 13th, latitude 39.56, longitude 47.01, reporting that she had picked up a collapsible boat of the Titanic containing three bodies. One boy was apparently that of Thomas Beattie and the others were a sailor and a fireman. They were committed to the deep.
In the boat were also a coat with letters addressed to Richard N. Williams; a can marked "Dan Williams," and a ring with the inscription, "Edward and Gerda."
The collapsible boat is the one mentioned by Mr. Lowe in his testimony at Washington as that from which he took twenty men and three women, leaving three bodies.—Reuter.
Submitted by dja


Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.