The Cork Examiner, 17 December 1912
Queenstown, Sunday    
   Engaged at a salary which many men of eminence in the world of statesmanship or other pursuits would not reach, Harry Lauder left Queenstown for America to-day to fulfil contracts in many of the principal centres of America. The astonishing success of this comedian and the prices he can command for his services have made many comedians realise that there are still mines of hidden wealth in their profession, but Harry Lauder still holds pride of place in his line, and during his recent engagement in London his comicalities were as great a draw as ever, for nearly every night numbers had to be refused admission for want of space in the Tivoli, where he was appearing.
   On his forthcoming tour in the States, he will, as usual, be accompanied by his wife, who is a passenger with him on the Lusitania, but his wife is not the only companion he has, for he takes with him a secretary and manager as well. Owing to his indisposition some time ago he has to guard against the effects which his popularity causes, and though he looked quite robust in the Lusitania to-day he evidently is husbanding all his forces with extra care.
   His programme in America will include his latest successes, and some past hits. He is to be nine weeks in all touring the principle cities from New York to Chicago. He hopes to be back in London on 10th of March. He was, he said, feeling very well just at present, but he could only hope for good health by being very careful and cautious.
   And then, as a departing message, he added: “Say to the kind folk in the ould country that I send my kind regards, and I hope everyone of them will have a jolly Christmas and a happy new year for auld lang syne.”
   While the Lusitania was at Queenstown many telegrams and letters were received wishing the best of good luck to the comedian and safe return home.

   Interviewed at Queenstown, Sir Ernest Shackleton told your correspondent on board the Lusitania, that he was going to America on private business, but purposed delivering a few lectures while there. He intends returning to England about the end of January. Asked as to what he thought of Capt Scott's expedition, he said he considered it most important from a scientific point of view. Of course, he continued, Amudsen has discovered the main geographical features south east of the Beardmore Glacier. Asked if he intended visiting the North or South Pole in the future, Sir Ernest said he had not given up the idea of further exploration in the South, when private affairs permit. Asked if science would not gain immensely from a further knowledge of Polar regions, he replied, “Certainly, especially metereology.” He considers that within a few years we can predict accurately Australian weather. Sir Ernest also said he does not understand where the terra Nova lately landed a party on the ice ; perhaps the news cabled alludes to the fact that the ship has been cruising away from Christchurch. the headquarters since returning in March from the ice.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 23 December 1912
   A man named Patrick O'Connor was killed here on Saturday evening by a falling tree. Deceased, with two other men, was engaged in felling a decayed poplar near the Spa House, and according to an account given by Sergeant Crowley, and other eye-witnesses of the accident, it would appear that when the tree was about to fall he ran along by the boundary wall, but instead of the tree falling out on the field, where it was intended it should, it turned on the butt, and fell directly on him. Several willing hands gave all the help possible to extricate him, and clerical and medical aid summoned. Fr. Ahern and Dr. O'Connell were promptly on the scene, but their efforts to save the poor fellow proved unavailing, as when he was taken from underneath the tree, life was found to be extinct, his neck being broken. He was a respectable young man, well liked by the community, and by his fellow-workmen. The Coroner did not deem it necessary to hold an inquest.

CONNOLLY—On Dec 21st, the Rev. John Connolly, C.C. Office and High Mass at St. John's Cathedral, Limerick, on to-morrow (Tuesday), 24th inst., at 10.30 a.m. Funeral immediately after to Mount St. Lawrence Cemetery. R.I.P.
BARRY—On Dec 21st, at St. Patrick's Hospital, Wellington road, Brother Theobald (Presentation Brother) son of James Barry, U.D.C., Kinsale, in the 24th year of his age and the 9th of his religious profession. R.I.P. Funeral on this day (Monday), at 10 o'clock, at Mount St. Joseph, Cork.
MURPHY—On Dec 22nd, at her residence, Killeens, Catherine, daughter of the late Cornelius and Julia Murphy. R.I.P. Funeral from the Cathedral on to-morrow (Tuesday) at 1 o'clock for St. Joseph's Cemetery.
SPILLANE—On Dec 21st, at 42, Leitrim St., John Spillane (vintner), late of Glanmire ; deeply regretted. R.I.P. Funeral on this day (Monday), at 2.30, from the Cathedral, North Parish, for St. Joseph's Cemetery.
DENNEHY—On Dec 22nd, at her residence, 20, Church street, Ellen, wife of the late John Dennehy. Deeply regretted by her children and friends. R.I.P. Funeral from Cathedral on to-morrow (Tuesday), 24th inst., for St. Joseph's Cemetery.
CROWLEY—On Dec 21st, at Wycherly's Terrace, Kate, the beloved wife of John Crowley. R.I.P. Deeply regretted by her husband, children, and friends. Funeral on to-day (Monday) from St. Finbarr's West Church at 12 o'clock sharp for Douglas.
AHERN—On Dec 21st, at his residence, 12, South View, Ballinlough road, Michael, eldest surviving son of the late Edward Ahern (Builder), Monkstown ; deeply regretted by his sorrowing wife and children. R.I.P. Funeral will leave from South Parish Church, at 2.30 on this day (Monday) for Douglas.
McCARTHY—On Dec 20th, at the Mercy Hospital, Cork, Annie, youngest daughter of the late Michael John McCarthy, Ballymacandrick, Cloyne. Funeral took place from Hospital at 10 o'clock on Sunday morning for Churchtown South.

FIRST ANNIVERSARY—In loving memory of Hannah B. Donovan, who departed this life on the 22nd of December, 1911. Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy on her.
      O may the grave become to her
         The end of peaceful rest,
      When she shall gladly rise again
         And mingle with the blest.
(Inserted by her fond sons, Denis and Patrick Long, Ardmanning Lough road, Cork).
Arklow, Saturday.    
   The story of a fierce attack on a policeman was told yesterday evening at Rathdrum Workhouse hospital, when Mr A. Burke, J.P., attended to take the deposition of Sergeant Thos. Maguire, Aughrim, who, it is alleged, was repeatedly stabbed in the neck and head by a burly fellow who gave his name as Wm. Burke, but refused his address in Dublin.
   Sergeant Maguire stated that on the previous evening he was on patrol. A complaint was made about the conduct of two tramps outside Aughrim Catholic Church. He went to the spot and found an altercation going on between the prisoner and another man. Burke was using very vile language. Witness succeeded in getting both men away. Burke's attitude was very violent, and witness followed him to put him past houses where there were women and small children. The prisoner then turned on him and said, “I have done nothing yet, but I will do something now.” He then rushed at witness with an open knife in his hand. He tried to defend himself with his stick and closed with the prisoner, whom he dropped in the water-table beside the road. While on the ground the prisoner stabbed him repeatedly in the neck and head.
   When the knife was produced the prisoner asked the magistrate to do him a favour and allow the police to give him the knife in order that he might cut his throat at once.
   Constable McNulty stated that when he heard of the incident he went in search of Burke, whom he overtook at Tinakilly. On seeing him the accused ran into a field where there was a large heap of stones, and began to throw them at witniess. When this ammunition was exhausted the prisoner drew a knife, and when witness closed with him he attempted to stab him in the body. He had Burke by the throat with one hand, and in defending himself from a blow of the knife directed at his stomach witness was stabbed in the hand. He succeeded eventually in disarming the prisoner of the knife, and when arrested Burke began to curse and use very bad language.
   The prisoner was remanded in custody for eight days.

(From our Correspondent.)
Mitchelstown, Sunday Night.    
   District-Inspector Lewis, Mitchelstown, received the following wire to-day from the Constabulary at Kildorrery :—“A man named James Kelly, labourer, Farrahy, was found on the roadside at Farrahy at 8.30 p.m. last night in a dying condition with a bullet wound through his left eye ; supposed murder ; no arrest so far ; died at 10.30 p.m.”
   Mr. Lewis and Sergeant Plover immediately proceeded to the scene of the occurrence, but up to the time of wiring no definite information has been received.
   The affair has created a great sensation in the Kildorrery district.

London, Sunday.    
   A verdict of suicide whilst of unsound mind was returned at an inquest at Rowcliffe, near Goole, on Saturday night, on Sarah Elizabeth Lennistone, 14, and Annie Elizabeth Horsley, 15, mill girls, who with their ankles tied together and clasping one another, were found drowned in a mill reservoir on Thursday evening. A letter written by Horsley and bearing the names of both girls, was read mentioning the names of three mill girls. The letter said —“These girls will not be able to tell any more lies about us and other lads. We have done what they wanted us to do. They were jealous.”
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 24 December 1912
Liverpool, Monday.    
   The Cunard Royal mail steamer Mauretania arrived in Liverpool at 3 p.m. to-day (Monday) with passengers, mails, specie, etc, from New York via Fishguard.
   The Cunard Canadian steamer Ascania arrived in Portland Maine at 9 a.m. to-day (Monday) from London via Southampton.
   The Cunard steamer Franconia, on the Mediterranean cruise, arrived at Messina at 8 a.m. to-day (Monday) from Fiume.

HENNESSY—On the 23rd Dec., 1912, at his residence, 14 Friar's Walk, of pneumonia, William, eldest son of the late Bryan Hennessy, aged 51 years. Funeral on Christmas morning, at 9.15 sharp, for Douglas.
GRANT—On Dec. 23rd, at her residence, 8, Hibernian Buildings, Lillian, dearly beloved wife of Geoffrey Grant, and daughter of the late Frederick Barfrey ; deeply regretted by her sorrowing husband and family. R.I.P. Funeral at 2 o'clock on Christmas Day from the South Parish Church for St. Joseph's Cemetery.
NOONAN—On Dec. 23rd, at the residence of his sister, Mrs. Hill, 4 Richmond Hill, Cornelius Noonan (late of Blarney st.). R.I.P. Funeral leaves Cathedral on Christmas Day, at 11.30 for Dunbollogue. American papers please copy.
O'KELLY—On Dec. 22nd, at Ardskeagh, Charleville, Patrick O'Kelly. R.I.P. Funeral on to-day (Tuesday) at 1 o'clock for Ballyhea.
WAKEFIELD—On Dec. 23rd, 1912, at his residence, Rhodaville, Douglas road, Edmund Wakefield, suddenly, of heart failure. Funeral for Douglas on to-morrow (Wednesday), at 2.30.
MURPHY—On Dec. 22nd, at her residence, Killeens, Catherine, daughter of the late Cornelius and Julia Murphy. R.I.P. Funeral from the Cathedral on this day (Tuesday), at 1 o'clock, for St. Joseph's Cemetery.

In sad and loving memory of Mrs. Kate O'Neill Aherne, Curra, Nohoval, who died December 23rd, 1911. Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy on her soul. Immaculate Heart of Mary pray for her.—(Inserted by her fond sisters.)
FOURTH ANNIVERSARY—In sad and loving memory of our dear father, Denis Donovan, of 22 Commons road, who departed this life on St. Stephen's Day, 1908. Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy on him. Immaculate Heart of Mary pray for him.
FOURTH ANNIVERSARY—In sad and loving memory of my dear husband, Simon Fitzgerald, of 16, Farrell's Square, who departed this life on 24th day of December, 1908. Gone, but not forgotten. Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy on his soul.—(Inserted by his fond wife and children).
EIGHTH ANNIVERSARY—In sad and loving memory of my husband, Sergeant John Wain, Leicestershire Regiment, who died in Cork 24th December, 1904. Sweet Heart of Jesus have mercy on him. Immaculate Heart of Mary pray for him.

   Mr. Fred Sheedy, V.S., eldest son of Mr. T. Sheedy, Fair Hill, Cork, has gained a very high distinction in his profession. Mr. Sheedy graduated with honours at the Royal Veterinary College, Dublin, some years ago, and decided to enter the army. He was stationed at Aldershot, and the authorities there recognising his ability as a vet, conferred on him a lieutenancy. Now he has been ordered to India to a still higher position, where doubtless his many high qualifications will achieve for him further distinctions.
   At Liverpool on Saturday, a man named Arthur Charles Barker (47), described as of Chesterfield House, Birr, King's County, was charged with having attempted to procure a boy of the age of 14 years to commit a criminal offence. Mr Duder, police prosecutor, said the accused was a clergyman in the Church of England, and was admitted into Orders in 1895 in the name of Arthur Charles Barker Jacobson. In 1902 he took out papers of naturalization in the United States, and in 1909, by statutory declaration, he altered his name, dropping the surname Jacobson. As to the details of the case, even he (Mr Duder), with his police court experience, hesitated to tell the magistrates. On the previous evening the accused was watched by two detectives in a picturedrome, and when arrested he attempted to run away.
   Prisoner was remanded until Friday.

   By the death at Omaha on the 19th inst. of Mr. Thomas Brennan one of the foremost figures in the early history of the Land League has passed away. Mr Brennan was the first secretary of that organization when the offices were opened in Abbey-street. He was among those who were earliest arrested, and was placed in Kilkenny Gaol, from which he was released, and left Ireland for the United States, where he settled in Omaha. He took out a license as an attorney-at-law, but then became a partner in a firm of real estate, investment, and insurance brokers. The firm proved a prosperous and successful one, and Mr Brennan took over the business, and under his sole management it became one of the most reliable and progressive concerns in Omaha.
   Those who remember when he addressed so many meetings with Michael Davitt will recall his fine voice and the eloquent passages in his speeches, which often were compared in their flowing and finished periods to the utterances of Thomas Frances Meagher, whom he resembled, so many of the survivors of the '48 movement said, very closely.
   Born in the County Meath, he came to Dublin in his youth and was engaged in the offices of the North City Milling Company, in which he remained till he became Secretary of the Land League. Mr. Brennan was a man of great energy, determination, and of indomitable courage. As an organiser he laid down the lines on which the momentous movement was launched, and never was work better planned or more faithfully carried out.
   His death will cause deep sorrow, not only to those who knew him personally, but to all who knew the part he played in the regeneration of his country.

   Under tragically sudden circumstances yesterday morning the death of Mr. Edward Wakefield, Rhoda Ville, Douglas road, took place. Mr. Wakefield rose as usual yesterday morning, and proceeded to have a bath. Having had the bath he returned to his bedroom, but not coming down to his breakfast at the customary hour his wife went to see what was the matter, and on entering the bedroom was horrifed to find the body of her husband lying on the floor. She immediately telephoned for Dr. Allsom, who on arrival pronounced life extinct. The police were immediately notified, and an inquest will be held to-day at 12 o'clock.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 28 December 1912
London, Friday Night.    
   The steamer Duchess of Cornwall arrived at Falmouth to-day and reported having experienced a terrible time in a gale off the Lizard on Thursday night. She was making for Falmouth to repair some damage when a tremendous sea struck the steamer. So heavy was the impact that the steamer's funnel was torn away and washed overboard. All the boats were smashed, the fires put out, the cabins gutted, and the skylight smashed in. Large volumes of water found their way into the vessel's hold.
   The wave washed the chief mate, Mr. W. Walquest, of Cardiff, overboard, also a seaman named Martin, of Wicklow, who was steering at the time, both men being drowned. It was only the heroic work of the engineers and stokers that saved the ship, for they worked up to their knees in the water and kept the fires going.
   Captain Yeo had a very lucky escape from being hurled overboard. He was standing on the bridge with the chief mate, and only left to examine a chart in the chart room when a big sea struck the steamer. The Duchess of Cornwall has six feet of water in No. 4 hold.

AHEARN—On Dec. 25th, 1912, at his residence, Green road, Lismore, Patrick Ahearn. Deeply regretted by his sorrowing wife and children. R.I.P. American papers please copy.

London, Friday Night.    
   Signals of distress were sent up eight or nine miles off Hastings. A lifeboat made several attempts to get afloat, but was unable to launch owing to the heavy gale and heavy seas. To-day it was ascertained the vessel was the Bedechurn of Newcastle. She had lost a propeller, and after beating to the eastward was taken in tow by a tug.

London, Friday Night.    
   A headless and armless body was washed up at Hastings to-day. Sea-boots were on the legs.
   The absence of any news of the steam yacht Wild Rose, which was lying opposite Queenstown for several days before leaving on Saturday last for a French port, continues to cause grave fears, and not without reason, as she was not the likeliest vessel to weather the storm which burst soon after she left. A French captain and Southampton crew had charge of her. Official inquiries regarding her were made here to-day. The tug Hibernia, of London, which took the four-masted barque Marion Lightbody in tow from here for Limerick on Sunday last, is still unaccounted for, but she met bad weather often before, and always weathered the storm successfully. She is likely to have done so again, and is probably taking refuge somewhere. The two buoys which broke adrift in the outer harbour cannot be replaced for the present.

London, Friday Night.    
   A Southampton telegram relates the thrilling experiences of the Dorothy Watson, a three-masted schooner of 200 tons, during the recent gale. The crew of the vessel were brought into Southampton to-day by the Clyde Shipping Company's steamer Garmoyle, which came to their assistance on Christmas Eve. The Dorothy Watson, which belongs to North Shields, was then proceeding to Glasgow with a cargo of china by way of the Irish Sea.
   The terrific gale rendered the vessel unmanageable, as it was impossible to set sufficient canvas to enable the vessel to be properly controlled. The captain of the Garmoyle made repeated but unsuccessful efforts to take the schooner in tow. Ultimately the vessel had to be abandoned.
   Coming up Channel the Garmoyle had renewed experience of the gale, the captain declaring he had never previously witnessed such seas in the Channel.

London, Friday Night.    
   Lloyd's Penzance Agent telegraphs—Sundry wood wreckage was seen floating by a lifeboat and a steamer from Scilly, off Wolf Rock, and near this coast, to-day, consisting of bulwarks, stanchions, etc.; also the dead body of a woman. There was nothing about the wreckage to identify what ship it comes from.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 31 December 1912
   While repairing the roof of his dwelling, which had been damaged by the storm on Christmas Eve, a blacksmith, named Creedon, residing at Clondrohid, near Macroom, met with an accident which terminated fatally. The unfortunate man was buried on Monday.

DONWORTH—On Dec. 29th, at Bruree Cottage, Bruree, Margaret Roche Donworth, relict of the late Thomas Donworth. R.I.P. Office and High Mass at Bruree Catholic Church at 10.30 a.m. on this day (Tuesday). Funeral at 12.30 p.m. for Ardkilmartin.
CONRAN—On Dec. 29th, at her residence, 5 Myrtle Hill Terrace, Kate, widow of the late Thomas Conran, Cork. R.I.P. Funeral strictly private. No flowers.
AHERN—On Dec. 30th, at her residence, Bachelor's Quay, Ellen, dearly beloved wife of John Ahern, and daughter of John Linehan, formerly of Cloghroe. R.I.P. Funeral from SS Peter and Paul's Church at 12.30 on to-morrow (Wednesday) for Matchy, via Cloghroe.
KELLEHER—On Dec. 29th, Katie, beloved daughter of Andrew Kelleher, Cusduve, Kilmichael. Funeral on this day (Tuesday), at 11 o'clock, for Ballyvourney, via Macroom.
RYAN—On Monday, December 30, at St. John's Hospital, Limerick, Mrs. James Ryan, of Bruff. High Mass at St. John's Cathedral at 10.30 on this day (Tuesday). Funeral on to-morrow (Wednesday) from St. John's at 1.30 o'clock for Fanningstown Churchyard. R.I.P.
O'GORMAN—At her residence, 3 Dyke Parade, Cork, Mary Anne O'Gorman, eldest daughter of Thomas O'Gorman, Ballinaraha, Castletownroche. Funeral on to-morrow (Wednesday), at 10 o'clock, for Castletownroche, via Bottle Hill, Killavullen, and Ballinaraha.

SCANLAN—Third Anniversary—In affectionate and loving remembrance of our darling father, James Scanlan, who died at his residence, Rathreigh, Ardagh, County Limerick, on December 29th, 1909. Jesus have mercy on his soul.—(Inserted by his loving wife and family).

Queenstown, Monday.    
   Captain J. C. Barr, of the Carmania, which left Queenstown yesterday for New York, will hoist his flag in mid ocean on New Year's Day as Commodore of the Cunard Line, in succession to Captain R. C. Warr, recently retired.
   During his stay at Queenstown yesterday, Captain Barr received several congratulations on his new honour.
Dublin, Monday.    
   Amongst a wide circle of friends, in public and in private life, very sincere regret will be felt at the announcement of the death of Mr Patrick Thomas Manning, Manager of the Arran Quay Branch of the National Bank, which occurred yesterday at his residence, Bank House, No. 33 Arran Quay. Mr Manning had been ailing for some little time past, but his death was not anticipated. Mr Manning belonged to a well-known Waterford family, distinguished in many walks of life. For several years his brother, Alderman John Manning, was Mayor of Waterford. Mr Michael Manning, the late lamented Town Clerk of Kingstown, was an accomplished journalist, while Bill and Ben won widespread fame as oarsmen and in athletics generally. The deceased himself held championship records in racquet and tennis. The only surviving brothers are Mr Paul V. Manning, Hibernian Bank, O'Connell street, and Jim, captain of the mercantile marine.

London, Monday.    
   The Italian steamer Trento, bound from Newport, Mon., to Genoa, which was towed into Southampton this evening in a crippled condition, had met with terrible weather in the Bay of Biscay. Her steering gear broke down, and for hours she was at the mercy of the waves ; lifeboats were smashed, bulwarks and deckhouse bridge were carried away, nautical instruments washed out of the chartroom, and the forepeak filled with water. Capt. Schiaffino, who was on the bridge two days and two nights, and four other members of the crew, were swept off their feet by one mountainous wave and all more or less seriously injured.

Penzance, Monday.    
   Captain Orbech, of the Danish steamer Volmar, and the members of the crew who were rescued after being in an open boat seventy-two hours, are making good progress towards recovery in Penzance Hospital.

Newcastle, Monday.    
   Thomas Robson, injured in the accident in the stokehold of the new steamer Eduerdo, at the Neptune Yard of Swan, Hunter, Wigham, Richardson and Co., Ltd., Newcastle, last week, when a great jet of flame burst from the furnace, died in hospital this morning, making a fourth death.
Submitted by dja

Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.