- The Cork Examiner, 7 December 1897

        A respectable farmer named Peter Sandys, from the County Meath,
        was charged with arson.  Mr Samuels, Q.C. addressed the jury at
        length, setting forth the facts of the case.

        A young boy named Wm Duff was called, and deposed that he was
        with prisoner and saw him enter the yard, where a quantity of
        hay was stored belonging to Mr M'Nally.  He fell asleep, and
        awoke to find the hay burning. Prisoner told him to keep quiet,
        or he would "put a button in his mouth," and subsequently
        threatened to shoot him if he said anything about the matter.

        Sergeant M'Laughlan stated that he arrested the prisoner, and
        heard him make a statement to the effect that he (prisoner) was 
        glad that M'Nally's hay was burned, and that he was sorry that
        M'Nally himself was not in the fire too.

        His Lordship, in summing up, said that one of the counsel for the
        defence had stated that the policeman should have cautioned Sandys
        when he was arrested.  He (his Lordship) said he should not.  The
        late, eminent Chief Justice of England, Lord Cockburn, had stated
        that the duty of a policeman was to "keep his mouth shut and his
        ears open."  He (his Lordship) thought the practice of cautioning
        him an excellent on [sic], but he wished to inform them that the
        policeman was not bound to do so.

        The jury retired, and after a consultation announced that they
        could not agree.  His Lordship said that he would discharge them.
        He would allow the prisoner out on bail in a sum of 200 and two
        sureties of 100 each.

        The Grand Jury found "no bill" against a cripple named Patrick
        Kennedy for the manslaughter of his father at Ballytruckle.  The
        prisoner was discharged.

                        QUEENSTOWN PETTY SESSIONS--

        Before Messrs A E Horn, R.M., in the chair, R F Coppinger,
        E Fitzgerald, J Healy, and Col Curry.

        Cornelius Connolly summoned Mrs Norah Regan for having
        assaulted him on the 27th ult, by striking him in the
        forehead with a stone and severely injuring him.  Mrs
        Regan had a cross-case against Connolly.

        The litigants, who reside in the same house, and their         
        witnesses, were examined.  Frokm their evidence it appeared
        that on the date mentioned, Connolly in leaving the house made
        some observations which Mrs Regan considered were an insult to
        her.  She followed him across the street, and assaulted him by
        throwing stones at him, one of which struck and cut him severely
        on the forehead.

        Two artizans corroborated Connolly's statement as to the throwing
        of the stones by Mrs Regan.  She, however, denied she threw any
        stones.  A witness, on behalf of Mrs Regan, stated that she saw
        Mrs Regan on the ground and Connolly tearing her by the hair of
        her head and beating her.

        The evidence of Connolly and Mrs Regan was most contradictory,
        and were it not for the evidence of other witnesses the
        magistrates would have had much difficulty in deciding the case.
        After a lengthened consultation, the Bench decided that Mrs Regan  
        was principlally to blame, and fined her 20s and 4s costs. Mrs
        Regan's cross-case against Connolly was dismissed. Mr A H Allen
        appeared for Mrs Regan.

        Mrs Kate Kearns was sent to gaol for 14 days, without the option
        of a fine, at the suit of Constable Daly, for being drunk and
        disorderly on the 2nd inst.
                  THE DROWNING NEAR FERMOY
                                THE INQUEST

        An inquest was held yesterday by Coroner Rice on the body
        of a little school girl named Hanora Chamberlain that was
        drowned during play hour at Corrogurn, near Kilclooney.
        Evidence was given to show that the child, who was only
        eight years old, was trying to cross a narrow stream on
        a narrow plank temporarily placed there when she fell off
        of it and was drowned.  The school mistress deposed that
        the children were frequently warned against going to the
        stream at all, and they seldom did.  The Coroner pointed
        out that teachers were bound to exercise great care when 
        in charge of children, and that during play hour they
        should not be allowed to stray away.  The jury found a
        verdict of accidental drowning, adding a rider that no
        blame attached to anyone.          


Submitted by dja


Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.