-- The Cork Examiner, 5 November 1888


An inquest was held at Coolvock, near Athlone, on Saturday,
on a young man named Kerrigan, a herd, in the employment of
Mr J Egan of Coolvock House, who was found shot in the breast,
face, and neck, on the highway near his home.  The doctor's
evidence was to the effect that death was instantaneous, the
hands of the deceased being in his pockets when found, so that
he had no time to protect himself or escape.  The jury returned
a verdict of wilful murder against some person or persons unknown.
Four men are under remand in Mullingar Gaol on suspicion of being
connected with the crime.


The Nationalist meeting proposed to be held at Drumlish yesterday
was proclaimed late on Saturday night.  Captain Stokes, divisional
magistrate, arrived at Longford on Saturday evening, and a large
force of police came by train to Longford en route for Drumlish.
Mr Cox, M.P., also arrived by train, and was met at the station
by Head-constable Weir, who served him with a copy of the
proclamation.  Shortly afterwards Mr Peter Flood, Chairman of
the Town Commissioners, was addressing the crowd assembled at
Stafford's Hotel, when Captain Stokes ordered the meeting to be
dispersed.  The police charged in two bodies, and a scene of
indescribable confusion ensued.  The chairman of the Poor Law
Board was batoned and knocked down.  Several charges were made
before the crowd was dispersed.  The police and the XI Hussars
proceeded yesterday to Drumlish.


A Fermoy correspondent says :-- A letter received from a soldier
of the Bedfordshire Regiment, who were stationed for about ten
months in Fermoy, during which they acquired considerable
notoriety owing to their misconduct, states that on their arrival
in Aldershot last week some of their corps spoke disparagingly
of the people of Fermoy, whereupon some soldiers of the 94th and
102nd Regiments, who had experienced the uniform kindness and
courtesy of the townspeople of Fermoy, stood up warmly for them
and administered to the Bedfordshire lads a severe drubbing,
which they richly deserved, as during the latter portion of their
stay in Fermoy they did their utmost to cause riots of a very
serious nature.

Visit of the Police to the Deceased's Relatives
Refusing to Parade the Police for Identification
The Inquest To-day and Funeral

Midleton, Sunday.

Every inquiry here, both yesterday and to-day, only goes the further
to show that the stabbing of Patrick Ahern by the police was a wanton and
most unprovoked act and an act for which there was not the slightest
justification.  On all sides the savage conduct of the police has been
unspairingly condemned and denounced, and a feeling has been created
against the members of the force, the bitter intensity of which, has not
often been experienced.  All unite in saying that an event so brutal has
never occurred in the town, and, that nowhere has what all regard as a
murder, pure and simple taken place under circumstances so utterly free
from provocation.  Investigation into the matters which led to the attacks
of the police, only sustain the view generally held that their interference
in the first instance, was not only uncalled for, but entirely unwarranted,
not to say illegal. 

A couple of policemen attempted to arrest for drunkenness a man (Mansfield)
who bears an excellent character for sobriety, and who, it is confidently
asserted, can be proved by dozens of reliable witnesses to have been
perfectly sober on the occasion, but forsooth, because he resisted what he
regarded as an outrage upon him, all the police in Midleton were subsequently
let loose upon the people to treat them in that manner with which almost
every city, town and village in Ireland are familiar.  Though knowing the
man well, and being aware that a simple summons would, at any time, find
him, Mansfield's captors forced him into the Messrs. Cashman's premises,
and insisted on keeping him there until the arrival of the local Head-
Constable (Higgins) and some constables.  It is stated that Higgins,
observing that Mansfield was not drunk, sent him about his business,
and as yet, the police, as far as outsiders can know, have taken no steps
to prove the charge on which they on that night sought to take him into
custody.  The scuffle of course attracted attention and a number of
people assembled on the street outside. 

The police in the meantime remained in the house, the owner of which
denies the allegation that he permitted any of them to get out of the back
entrance.  Reinforcements, headed by District Inspector Creaghe, arrived,
and the people were at once set upon and dispersed in all directions ; and
it is stated that such was the violence of the constabulary that an hour
and a half later they attacked individuals walking to their homes.
Attracted by the noise of the flying people, poor Ahern came on the
street, like many others, to learn what was going on, and he had barely
got on to the principal thoroughfare when he was bayonetted in the
abdomen.  Although fatally wounded, he managed to crawl round a neighbouring
corner in the direction of his home,  pursued by five or six savage men,
until almost exhausted from loss of blood, he sank on the footway insensible.
There he lay, says an eye-witness, while the policemen were brandishing
their swords over his body, and it was some little time before his friends
could get near him to remove him to his home, where he died twenty hours

It was not until yesterday that it became known that another life had been
sacrificed to police violence, and the excitement, already high, became
intense.  It was Market-day, and the town was thronged with people,
all more or less excited.  Strong indignation prevailed amongst all grades
of the townsfolk, as well as amongst their country neighbours, and at one
time the presence of a couple of constables in the streets stopped little
short of causing further trouble. No policemen were to be observed doing
the ordinary town duty, and when these two appeared on their way from the
barrack to the telegraph office, crowds at once collected, and followed
them in an excited manner, hooting, shouting, and calling out "There are
the murderers."  Whenever, later on, any of them became visible, this was
repeated to a more or less extent.  Mr Heard, the County Inspector,
arrived in town at eleven o'clock, and at once held consultations with
District-inspector Creaghe, Head-constable Higgins, and other policemen.
Shortly after his arrival Mr J P Leahy, solicitor, acting for the next of
kin of the deceased, waited on Mr Creaghe at the barrack. Mr Creaghe was
indoors with the county-inspector at the time, and on being sent for came
out, but, on seeing Mr Leahy, assumed a demeanour which boded ill for any
application that gentleman had to make.

"Do you know," said Mr Leahy, "that I am acting for the representatives of
the man who has been murdered?"  "Yes, I do," answered Mr Creagh ; "you
have told me so."  "Then, I want to know if you have telegraphed to the
coroner?" "Yes ; I have." "Have you received a reply?"  "I have not."
"I want also to know from you, "went on Mr Leahy, "if you have any
objection to parade your men for inspection as I have witnesses who will
identify the man who murdered Ahern?" "I won't allow them to be paraded at
the present moment," was Mr Creaghe's reply.  Mr Leahy then enquired if he
would inform him when he would do so, and Mr Creaghe evasively told him
that it was better to wait until the coroner came, and then abruptly

Half-an-hour later Inspector Heard, accompanied by some of his men in
plain clothes, went to the house of the dead man.  They succeeded in
getting hold of a sister of his, who was in a very distressed condition.
An attempt was made to elicit information from her, but all the success
accompanying the effort was a statement on her part that she had seen her
brother brought to the house.  All this time people were anxiously expecting
the arrival of the Coroner--Mr. Richard Rice, of Fermoy.  Anxiety in this
respect was all the greater in consequence of the fact that the body could
not be removed without his permission, and until it had been viewed by a
jury.  Besides this, it was considered necessary that a post-mortem
examination should be held, and this could not take place without orders
from the Coroner.  It was intended that the funeral should be carried out
to-day with great public display, should the necessary preliminaries
as regards the swearing of the jury and the viewing of the body &c., take
place, but the non-arrival of the coroner rendered this impossible. He had
been telegraphed for both by the police and Mr Leahy, but the reply was
that the coroner was from home. 

Meanwhile, as the day wore on, a number of Cork detectives, who had
travelled down by the morning train, were said to be making themselves
busy in the way of picking up information form the gossip of unsuspecting
persons, but the word was passed round and people were put upon their
guard lest an uncautious, but perhaps innocent expression might be
interpreted in a manner to their disadvantage.  It is said that another
man narrowly escaped being stabbed, the bayonet passing through his
trousers, but doing no further injury.  This man lives at some distance
from the town and was going down the street to the Chapel road where a
relative of his was being waked, when he was set upon.  Coming back to the
deceased, however, it may be interesting to mention that a very strong
allegation exists to the effect that he was mistaken for a man named
Hennessy, whose brother some time since gave a hearty drubbing to four or
five members of the constabulary who attempted to interfere with him, and
who though watched and hunted for several weeks succeeded in escaping
their vigilance.

Poor Ahern was well known to have been a quiet, inoffensive man ; he was
the eldest son of a large family, and almost their sole support.  His
father, who is still living, is an old man, an invalid, and gone beyond
his work.  Both he and his son had and have been for many years in the
employment of Mr P J Tattan, who is a large coal and corn merchant in the
town.  He gives them the highest character, and spoke in particularly
laudable manner of the good conduct of the unfortunate young man whose
life was so untimely ended. Numbers of people visited the deceased's
abode, and all last night and the previous one all his friends attended at
the wake.

The feeling in the town this morning was, if anything, more intense than
yesterday.  It was thought by many that the funeral would take place
to-day, and the result was that thousands of people filled the town to-day
with the intention of participating in it.  Amongst those who did attend
were--Mr W J Lane, M P, and Mr J Douglas Pyne, M P, both of whom deeply
interested themselves in the matter.  Most of the townspeople wore
mourning badges.  A joint meeting of the Midleton Young Ireland Society
and the National League was called for one o'clock to-day, but it was
subsequently decided that any such meeting would be premature for the
present, and none consequently took place.  In connection with the
same subject, an informal meeting of the Young Ireland Society was held on
Friday in their hall, under the presidency of Mr Richard Fitzgerald,
and there were amongst those present -- Messrs Michael Fitzgerald, John P
Leahy, solicitor ; John Ronayne, John O'Callaghan, Michael Lynch, John
O'Brien, M Dalton, J Lawton, J J Coffey, John Walsh, Wm Walsh, hon sec,
&c. Steps were taken towards raising the necessary funds to give the
deceased a suitable interment.

The guardians of the Midleton Union yesterday were inclined to pass a
resolution condemnatory of the conduct of the police, but as in the case
of the National League and Young Ireland Society, it was deemed better to
take no action for the present, pending the result of the inquest.

The matter was also before the Dungourney branch of the National League at
their meeting to-day, the Rev T O'Connell, PP, being in the chair.  The
following resolution was, on the motion of the Rev Father M'Donald,
seconded by Mr Cronin, unanimously adopted :-- "That we condemn in the
strongest manner the vindictive and wanton attack by the police on the
people of Midleton last Thursday evening, and that we hold them
responsible for the murder of poor Ahern to whose friends we tender the
most cordial sympathy ; and that as a mark of respect to his memory we now
adjourn."  The meeting did then immediately adjourn.

At both Masses this morning references were made to the occurrence by the
celebrating priests. Speaking to the last Mass at twelve o'clock Father
O'Brien said he had been requested by their venerable pastor, Canon
Fitzpatrick, to make reference to the occurrence--the very deplorable
occurrence--which had taken place in their midst within the last few
days.  It was not the Canon's wish, nor was it his own, to enter into the
circumstances which gave rise to that sad event.  These matters would form
the subject of a judicial inquiry, which would immediately be opened, when
the truth, he took it, would be elicited fully, and the blame laid upon
the proper shoulders.  With these things he had nothing to do, but he
wished on behalf of Canon Fitzpatrick, and on his own behalf, as well also
on behalf of the priests of the parish, to beg of them all, men and women,
old and young alike, to exercise the greatest restraint and the greatest
control over their feelings during these days ; to speak no word, to do no
act which would lead perhaps to a repetition of the sad work that had
already taken place.  He was sure and he spoke in the most solemn
way--that he need not say one word more to them.  He would leave it to
their own good sense, and they had plenty of good sense he was sure.  He
would leave it to their own good sense, and he begged them to be the
preservers of the peace themselves during these few days.  Clear the
streets in the evenings of all idlers and young children--they had no
business being there--and he would suggest too that the public houses,
which were the fruitful sources of evil, should be closed.  He again
appealed to them not to say a word or do any act which would bring more
misery upon the people of Midleton than that which had already been
caused. The same advice was repeated in substance by Father Burton at the
early Mass.

The Coroner arrived at 11 o'clock this morning, and, after a conversation
with District-Inspector Creagh, issued his precept and summons for the
attendance of jurors. He also gave directions for the holding of a
post-mortem examination, and this will be performed to-morrow (Monday) by
Dr Lawton and Dr O'Brien.  The inquest has been fixed for one o'clock, and
it is then probable that after the necessary preliminaries have been gone
through it will be adjourned to a convenient date in the near future.  The
evidence promises to be of a voluminous character ; and, consequently, the
inquiry may be of a comparatively extensive nature, Mr Redmond Barry has
been retained as counsel for the next of kin.

Some time between two and three o'clock the funeral will take place.  The
burial ground of the deceased is a couple of miles outside the town.  The
demonstration will be an extremely large one, and of an extent calculated
to mark the public disapproval of the laws under which an unoffending man
can be stabbed to death in the streets of his native town.

Extra police to the number of about thirty, with District-Inspector
Seymour, Mitchelstown, have been drafted into the town.  The majority of
them have been confined to barracks all day, and but eight of them, in
squads of four, were seen in the streets during the day. Wherever they
went they were groaned and hooted. No ordinary police duties were
performed, and the Catholic constables in town were not allowed, so far as
could be ascertained, to attend Mass.

Mr Redmond, R.M., Queenstown, was in town all day.  He had to be provided
with an escort--four men, one of the squads alluded to--to take him to the
station. In the evening, while passing along near Hayes' mill sods thrown
and the helmet of one policeman knocked off, nothing beyond this occurred.
When the train was leaving the station Mr Redmond was vigorously groaned.
No disturbance, however, took place either there or in the town, the
inhabitants of which, notwithstanding circumstances of exasperation,
managed to restrain themselves, in accordance with the advice of their
priests.  After the departure of the 4.30 train this evening for Cork the
police, who escorted Mr Redmond on returning from the train, were
vigorously hooted and followed by large crowds.  They marched down the
Main-street and without calling to the barracks proceeded onwards through
the streets and went to the residence of District Inspector Creagh. They
were only there for a short time when Head-constable Higgins came out of
Mr Creagh's residence and accompanied them back to the barracks, which is
at the upper end of Main-street.  On going up the hooting was repeated,
and the police, who had only their batons displayed, halted at intervals. 
It looked as if a baton charge would be made, but none took place.  At
eight o'clock a representative asked District Inspector Creagh if the
Coroner's precept was in his hands. He said it was. After night fall heavy
patrols of police paraded the streets, but no collision with the people or
disturbance of any kind took place.

Submitted by dja

The Cork Examiner, 6 November 1888
   Yesterday at one o'clock an inquest was opened by Mr. Coroner Rice, in the courthouse at Midleton, on the body of Patrick Ahern, who died on Friday night last, from the effects of a bayonet wound, inflicted the previous evening by the police under District-Inspector Creaghe. The circumstances surrounding the affair are already too well known to need recapitulation. Not one bit, apparently, has the bitter feeling amongst the people, engendered by the action of the police, abated. On the contrary it seems to increase so far as the great masses of the people are concerned. Yet, notwithstanding this, the fact remains that in the town of Midleton—a town of many thousands of population—it took close on two hours yesterday before a coroner's jury of fourteen could be got together. It was stated on the one hand that several shopkeepers entitled to act as jurors, and professing Nationalist opinions, had incontinently left the town that morning rather than take part in what was and is likely to be a protracted inquiry. This, as been observed, might, on the one side, account to some extent for the difficulty encountered in selecting the jury, but, on the other hand, the allegation was made, and perhaps with some foundation, that the police, in whose hands the summoning of jurors lay, had passed over many of those who could and would act as such, while they inclined to those whose pressing business pursuits, illness, or other matters was likely to prevent them from attending. In proof of this it was pointed out that summonses had been served on two gentlemen both of whom the police were aware were suffering from more or less serious indisposition. Further, it was manifest that the police had gone out of their way to go to Ballinacurra for jurors while numerous respectable shopkeepers in Midleton were overlooked. Under the circumstances perhaps it was not after all so surprising that material for a jury was not as promptly forthcoming as in other places. But be that as it may comments on the apathetic action of certain people coupled with remarks on what, to say the least of it, was looked on as somewhat doubtful conduct on the part of the police, were numerous and outspoken. The town all day long presented the appearance of the deepest mourning. In the morning the various establishments were heavily shuttered, and after two o'clock, every house in the town was closed. The authorities, not content with the very substantial addition of thirty men to the local force made on Sunday, further increased the number yesterday, and drafted twenty men more into the town. It goes without saying, that from the first to last, though labouring under great excitement, the people behaved themselves in a wonderfully cool manner, and afforded not the slightest pretext for another onslaught on them. Generally speaking, the police were again confined to barracks, and but a few appeared in the streets, the ordinary town patrol, as on the last two days, being entirely neglected.
   The Coroner arrived shortly before one o'clock, and immediately proceeded to the courthouse, where
was opened. Despite the terrible inclemency of the weather hundreds of people were present, and when the court was opened entirely filled the building. The attendance, including the Rev D Lynch, P P, Lisgoold ; the Rev Fr O'Brien, C C, Midleton, the Rev Fr O'Donoghue, C C, do ; the Rev Fr Moreton, C C, do ; the Rev Fr O'Connell, P P, Dungourney ; the Rev Fr M'Donnell, C C, Dungourney ; Dr Lawton, Dr O'Brien, Dr Ross, Rev Dr Moore, Rev G Fairbrother, E O'Brien, P L G, Garranejames ; R Walsh, P L G ; E O'Mahony, M H Walsh, J O'Brien, Killeagh ; E Higgins, Maurice Doyle, Inchiquin ; W Green, P J Moore, R Smyth, M Buckley, R Moloney, T Bolton, J Lawton, P Quirke, T Twomey, M Day, M Riordan, chairman Board of Guardians ; John M'Carthy, &c., &c. The proceedings were watched with the greatest interest.
   The Coroner occupied a seat on the bench, and on either side of him in the seats reserved for professional gentlemen were :—
   Mr H B Julian, solicitor, Cork, representing the police.
   Mr Seymour, District-Inspector, Mitchelstown, who appeared on behalf of the Crown, and
   Mr J P Leary, solicitor, Midleton, representing the next-of-kin of the deceased, instructed by him during the inquiry will be Mr Redmond Barry, B L, Cork, and probably Mr John Deasy, M P, B L.
   District-Inspector Creaghe was also in court.
   At the sitting of the court, Mr Leahy announced that he represented the next of kin.
   The Coroner asked Head-Constable Higgins for the precept, which was handed to him. He then inquired how many persons had been summoned.
   The Head-Constable said twenty-four.
   Mr Edward O'Mahoney, who had been summoned on the jury, asked to be excused. His wife was ill, and there was no one to look after his business.
   Mr John H Bennett, Ballinacurra, also applied to be excused on the account of severe pressure of business.
   The Coroner said there was no man more pressed than he was himself ; he would do all he possibly could.
   The Coroner then called the names of the jurors. The following answered to their names—James O'Halloran, John H Bennett, Michael H Walsh, Thomas Aherne, Henry Forde, Patrick Barry, Richard Smith, Daniel Buckley, William Crotty, Cornelius Hyde, Edward O'Mahony, and Thomas Hyde.
   The following did not answer—John Hayes, Robert Parker, John T Brett, William Dalton, Patrick Shea, John J Bransfield, Maurice Ronayne, Joseph W Tarr, William Sheehan, Eugene Aherne, James Moore, and Joseph Tattan Bransfield.
   Dr Lawton said that Mr Bransfield was very ill.
   Mr Brett sent in a medical certificate to say that he was suffering from a cold.
   The Coroner—They are all sick or laid up. (To Mr Julian)—What do you say about the number of the jury? We can have 23, as you are aware.
   Mr Julian—You have more experience of inquests than I have.
   Mr Leahy—I would like to know for whom Mr Julian appears?
   Mr Julian—It is rather too soon to be asking questions yet. When the time comes I will not be ashamed to answer, but if it is any satisfaction for you to know, I appear for the police in the town of Midleton.
   Mr Leahy—Thank you.
   Mr Bennett said any of the gentlemen who had been summoned could attend as well as he. He applied very seriously to the coroner to allow him off as he was present at very great inconvenience.
   Mr O'Mahony said it would be a terrible hardship to him to be obliged to attend.
   The Coroner said it was an extraordinary thing that in the populous town of Midleton they could not get a sufficient number of jurors.
   Mr Leahy said it was. He mentioned that the body had now been lying over since Friday evening.
   The Coroner said, strictly speaking, though the law was rendered impracticable, the body should remain disinterred during the whole of the inquiry. If it happened that there was a disagreement there should be a second view of the body.
   Mr Leahy said the body was rapidly becoming decomposed.
   The Coroner—Does it not appear extraordinary to find the people not attending here. Don't you think there ought to be a stronger local feeling of sympathy with the family of the deceased, and still here I am without a jury.
   Mr Leahy said it was very strange on the part of the jurors who did not attend. They seemed to forget that they had a great public duty to perform, and it was gross neglect on their part not to turn up. He would suggest that further summonses be issued.
   Mr Julian thought it would be well to inform those gentlemen summoned that the court was open ; perhaps they were not aware of the fact.
   Mr Leahy—Fifteen jurors will do very well.
   Head-Constable Higgins—What about calling those jurors under a fine?
   The Coroner said he did not believe that even that would cause them to attend. What was the use of a compulsion of that kind?
   Mr Leahy suggested that the police proceed to the residences of those parties who had been summoned, and inform them that if they did not attend they would be fined.
   The Coroner directed that this should be done, and while awaiting the result a discussion took place as to the most suitable day on which to resume the inquiry, it being understood that a postponement would take place after the jury had viewed the body.
   The Coroner said with respect to the arrangements for continuing the inquiry, his intention was to adjourn for the post-mortem examination, and then further adjourn until Monday next. He would be professionally engaged on several days during the week, and everything considered he thought it would be best not to resume the inquiry before Monday.
   Mr Julian said that of course they were all bound to meet the coroner's views as much as possible, but if it was at all suitable to his convenience he would prefer that the investigation should be disposed of as rapidly and with as little delay as possible.
   The Coroner said he would be happy to meet Mr Julian's convenience, but he was afraid it would be absolutely impossible for him to be there. The week would be broken up, and he had some very pressing engagements, which he could not overlook. Besides, there was a near relative of his ill.
   Mr Julian said he was very sorry to hear that.
   Mr Leahy said he had intended also to make an application for adjournment, and his reasons for so doing were very strong. At present he had a certain number of witnesses who would give important evidence in the inquiry. There were a great deal more whose evidence he had not yet time to take down, and, besides this, he had employed counsel in the case whom he had not yet instructed, and under those circumstances it would be perfectly impossible for him to proceed that day.
   Mr Julian said he had come there instructed to oppose strenuously an application, such as Mr Leahy spoke of, if it was for the purpose of locking up witnesses. He might say, on the part of the police, that they were anxious that the inquiry should take place as quickly as possible, and they would give every possible assistance, but they saw no reason why witnesses who knew anything about the transaction, could not be communicated with in half-an-hour, all being residents of the town. Besides, he had been instructed that there was an amount of excitement in the town, which was anything at all but satisfactory while the investigation was pending. That was one of the strongest reasons why he and the public were anxious that the matter should be disposed of at once.
   The Coroner said it was a curious thing that that was one of the reasons which induced him to adjourn the inquest, for it was better that a calm and dispassionate investigation should be made. The only information he had at present was the official report of the matter, which had been laid before him, and in connection with this matter, he might mention that he did not think the comments in the Press were at all fair. Of course, though the jury would divest their minds of anything but legal evidence, yet, at the same time, such comments were unfair, and might produce an impression.
   District-Inspector Seymour said that, on the part of the Crown, he was very anxious that the case should go on, but, of course, it was entirely in the coroner's discretion to act as he thought best. The Crown were very anxious to give every assistance in the investigation of the case.
   Mr Julian said the coroner was always most obliging, and, as he had said, it would be impossible for him to attend before the time he had named. He did not think he could offer any objections.
   The Coroner said that an inquest had been held at Fermoy immediately after a certain occurrence had taken place, and it never satisfied any of them.
   Mr Julian said there was a great deal in that ; and so far as the parties he represented were concerned, they were entirely in the coroner's hands. Their anxiety was to have the thing disposed of as soon as possible. Under the circumstances stated by the coroner, he would not object to an adjournment for a week.
   Mr Leahy said he was most anxious, on behalf of the next of kin, that the inquest should be proceeded with as quickly as was consistent with the ends of justice.
   All having agreed to an adjournment, some discussion took place as to the more suitable day to resume the inquiry. Ultimately Tuesday next, at twelve o'clock, was decided on.
   Mr Julian said with regard to the incidental allusion which the coroner had made touching the comments in the Press, that the police felt aggrieved by the one taken and the comments made by a couple of papers published in the district. He asked the coroner to express his opinion on the matter, and if he did so it would, perhaps, restrain the writings of these papers until the facts were brought out in proper shape in the solemnity of a court of justice. It would be very hard to have an occurrence of the present kind take place in which there would not be various rumours and accounts. All of them could not be true, and some of them consequently must be false. In this case the police complained that rumours which were unquestionably false had been seized upon to give a colouring to these articles.
   The Coroner again expressed himself to the effect that such comments were unfair.
   Mr Leahy entirely agreed with Mr Julian, but he would be a little more particular, for he would be obliged to bring under the notice of the coroner articles that had appeared in the Cork Constitution.
   The Coroner—I am putting them all in globo.
   Mr Leahy said that some of the comments in that paper were most unfair. In Saturday's issue an article appeared in connection with what took place, and he regarded it as simply shocking and as a gross outrage on professional decency.
   The Coroner said he had expressed himself universally with regard to the newspaper comments.
   Mr Julian said he had not singled out and paper and he had tried to be as general as possible. If he were to single out papers for complaint, it would not be the Constitution, for on the present occasion he found the comments in that paper were far less blameable than those in other papers.
   Mr Leahy asked for a moment to be allowed to reply to Mr Julian.
   Mr Julian expressed dissent.
   District-Inspector Seymour said that no evidence should be allowed at that stage of the inquiry with regard to the newspaper publications.
   The Coroner said he would allow nothing of the kind to be gone into.
   Mr Leahy said a political tinge had been sought to be put upon the matter ; that he denied.
   After an interval, the Coroner again inquired how many jurors were present, and was informed that a sufficient number had not yet been procured.
   Mr Julian said there was not a town in Ireland, or at all events in the county Cork, where a more respectable class of jurors could be found than in the town of Midleton.
   Mr Leahy said he was glad to hear Mr Julian say that, and he hoped that the verdict of the jury would be subsequently appreciated.
   Some further conversation took place with reference to the jurors.
   The Coroner said there was one amongst those who answered from Ohio—Mr Crotty
   Mr Crotty said he belonged to the State of Missouri ; he had been twelve months in Ireland.
   The Coroner said Mr Crotty had now a residence in that district, and though he was a citizen of the united States, that did not disqualify him from acting as a juror.
   After a further interval, Mr O'Mahony again asked to be allowed off ; he had called in the morning to Mr Leahy to tell him that he could not possibly attend.
   Mr Leahy—I could not see you on the matter ; you had a right to go to Mr Creaghe, who is a very communicative gentleman.
   Mr Creaghe—The less you say to Mr Creaghe the better.
   Mr Leahy—Yes, and the less I say to Mr Creaghe the better I like it.
   The Coroner asked what did Mr Leahy say to taking some jurors from the court. It was not a desirable thing to do, but under the present circumstances he thought there was some necessity for it.
   Head-Constable Higgins suggested that they should wait for a little while until the man who had been sent out with the additional summonses should return.
   Mr Leahy asked that the jurors should be called on fines.
   The Coroner said he was not a harsh judge. He could only impose a fine of 40s. on any juror who absented himself. He had certain reasons for not fining them, because he believed they would pay the fine rather than remain in court for a week. He liked to see a gentleman perform a work of humanity voluntarily and act willingly in the service of his country.
   Mr Julian suggested that some additional summonses should be issued.
   The Coroner thought it would be well to do so, and he had summonses there for that purpose.
   Some further time having elapsed, Mr R. Moloney appeared in court, and the coroner having observed that he would make a good juror, asked him if he had been summoned.
   Mr Moloney said he had not, and even if he had he would object to it, as he did not see why he should be summoned while there was plenty material in Midleton to form a jury.
   After another pause, Mr Leahy said it took a long time to summon jurors.
   The Coroner said it fixed apathy on someone.
   Head-Constable Higgins said he had served all the summonses.
   The Coroner said he never before had any difficulty in collecting a jury.
   Mr Leahy—It doesn't speak well for the public spirit of the people of Midleton.
   Head-Constable Higgins said he had done all he could in the case. He had now got thirty summonses served.
   Mr Edward O'Mahony again asked the coroner to excuse him. He would have to shut up his shop if he was detained there, and the head-constable knew that what he stated was correct.
   Head-Constable Higgins said that he was aware of it.
   The Coroner—Then why did you summon him—was it because of his inability to attend?
   Head-Constable Higgins—No, but because he is a very suitable juror.
   Some more time having passed without any advancement being made, the Coroner remarked that he thought it was the wish of the townspeople to facilitate the relatives of the deceased.
   Mr Leahy said he had been under that impression. The constabulary, he thought, had got hold of all the “black sheep” this time.
   The Coroner excused Mr Mahony. In the meantime several jurors arrived in court, and a sufficient number having put in an appearance their names were called over.
   The following fourteen gentlemen were sworn—Messrs M H Walsh (foreman), James O'Halloran, J H Bennett, Thomas Ahern, Henry Forde, Patrick Barry, Richard Smith, Daniel Buckley, William Crotty, Cornelius Hyde, Thomas Hyde, John Carroll, Joseph M'Namara, and James Flynn.
   They were then directed to view the body, which they did.
   On returning to the Courthouse they were formally bound over to appear on Tuesday next.
   A post mortem examination was then made by Dr Lawton and Dr O'Brien, and after this
took place. All through the morning and afternoon the rain had been coming down in torrents ; as the funeral was about to start it came down with redoubled force, and long after the remains had been lowered into the grave it continued one steady downpour. This notwithstanding, the display was on a scale creditable alike to the town and neighbourhood. Under the management of the Young Ireland Society the arrangements were admirably carried out. A magnificent wreath of lilies was placed on the coffin by the members, and the local branch of the National League paid a similar tribute to the dead. Private friends also sent wreaths. From long distances people attended, and when the terrible nature of the weather is taken into account the gathering was extremely large and representative. Those present included the gentlemen whose names have already been mentioned, the members of the Young Ireland Society and G A A, the latter represented by D Collins, J Power, W Keane, M Kelleher, J Leahy, J O'Leary, R Stack, W Colbert, P Moore, W Barry, M Dalton, J Kennedy, P Donovan, P Cotter, and the former by R Fitzgerald, V P ; John Lawton, treasurer ; W Walsh, hon sec ; J O'Callaghan, A Collins, J J Coffey, A Bolton, T Murray, J Ronayne, J G Mayne, M Fitzgerald, D Moore, M Cuddigan. Lisgoold sent M Murnane, W Spillane, E Barry, E Riordan, and R Molony, while the Aghada representatives were Denis Kelly, Jas O'Callaghan, P L G ; Marcus Henchy, J Sheehan, P O'Callaghan, W Higgins, E Higgins, E Rohan, C M'Donnell. Contingents came from all the surrounding districts—Castlemartyr, Killeagh, Mogeely, Carrigtwohill, Dungourney, Cloyne, &c.
   The clergymen present were—The Rev. T O'Connell, P P, Castlemartyr, and Rev. Father M'Donald, Dungourney ; Rev. Fr. Morton, C C, Midleton ; Rev. Fr. O'Brien, do., and the Rev. Fr. O'Donoghue.
   The general public included—Martin Riordan, chairman. Midleton Board of Guardians ; R Walsh P L G ; M H Walsh, J P Leahy, solicitor ; Patrick Leahy, T Murray, Edward Barry, T C ; P O'Shea, T C ; James Flynn, P Barry. Thomas Murnane, M Fitzgerald, N B Walsh, P Ahern, M Donovan, John Donovan, Thomas Gorman, John O'Brien, Michael Smithwick, P L G ; P J Tattan, Michael Buckley, Thomas Hyde, J Lawton, J Hodnett, Cork ; John Moore, P Kelleher, W Cogan, T C ; P Knolles, P Molony, Michael Barry, E Stack, P L G ; P Hickey, G Fitzmahony, &c., &c. The cortege started shortly after three o'clock, and the coffin was borne to the grave on the shoulders of the deceased [sic], the bier preceding them, the people marching in regular order after. The Midleton brass band, under the leadership of their teacher, Mr Kelly, headed the funeral, and played the Adeste Fidelis to the churchyard at Churchtown, two miles outside of Midleton to the east. The performance of the band was remarkably good. As night fell the remains were laid to rest, the funeral services being performed by the three Midleton priests already named. The town was quiet last night, and no policemen were seen on the streets.
   The tragic occurrence was made the subject of a resolution by the Lisgoold branch of the national League at their meeting on Sunday. The Rev D Lynch, P P, presided, and amongst those present were—Messrs. R Moloney, hon sec ; F Stack, P L G ; P Sarsfield, D O'Meara, P Buckley, P L G ; W Leahy, M Murnane, P Ahern, A Twomey, W Cullinane, &c. The following resolution was, on the motion of Mr Moloney, passed unanimously :—“That we condemn in the strongest terms the cowardly and wanton manner by which an innocent life was sacrificed by a brutal policeman, led on by the brave, big bully policeman, Creagh.”
   It is stated that summonses will be issued against persons for alleged assaults on the police on the night of the occurrence.
Submitted by dja

--  Cork Examiner, 7 November 1888


Midleton, Tuesday Night.

Shortly after the funeral procession started yesterday (Monday), from
town, a covered car was seen driving to the private offices of
District-Inspector Creaghe, R I C, which is underneath Mr Coppinger's
archway, at the end of Main-street, and Constable Swindle, the
incriminated policeman, was seen to get in and the car was driven up the

To-day (Monday) [sic] a private communication was sent to Mr Leahy that
one of the policemen engaged in the charge had been removed, and he
immediately had Mr Creagh served with a notice cautioning Mr Creagh
against keeping the constable referred to away from the inquest, or as
peace officer of the district suffering said constable to be out of his
custody or control.  In the evening, however, the constable, who had gone
away yesterday, was seen walking in the streets this evening.

At between four and five o'clock this evening Constables Swindle and
Shortell, with four other policemen in charge of Sergeant Graydon, of
Cloyne, and accompanied by a detective, wait on Mr Creagh at his
office.  Important despatches were handed by Sergeant Graydon to Mr Creagh
who in turn hands them to District Inspector Seymour.  They were all
subsequently closeted for about two hours, and it is believed that
Constables Swindle and Shortell, who are very young policemen, were
getting initiated into the parts which they are to play in the inquest on
next Tuesday week.

Full patrols are about the streets this evening and were about town during
the day, and active communications are evidently going on between the
auhtorities and the heads of the local force.  The excitement is now

Large numbers of armed policemen were drafted from West Cork yesterday to
Cork City, but their ultimate destination was supposed to be Midleton,
where there is at present much excitement.

Submitted by dja

The Cork Examiner, 8 November 1888
Midleton, Wednesday Night.    
   A great deal of public curiosity was centred to-day on the person of Sub-constable Swindle, who has achieved an unenviable amount of notoriety, by reason of his daring feat in the historical murder of poor Ahern on Thursday last. Contrary to public expectation, he was seen to-day dressed in full regalia of a policeman, doing active duty in the streets of Midleton. The people were much surprised at this, as they know a great deal about his conduct in the dreadful business of Thursday last. Possibly the service of the under-mentioned notice on Mr Creaghe, D I, forced the authorities to bring him under the gaze of the public, as it was generally believed that he had left the town on the day of the funeral procession on Monday in a covered car. After the following notice was served, he was again seen in the vicinity of Mr Creaghe's residence on Tuesday evening.
“PHILIP CREAGH, Esq.        
“District Inspector Royal Irish Constabulary,
   “Sir—Whereas, I have reason to believe that one of the policemen connected with the charge made by the police on the people in the streets of Midelton on Thursday evening last the 1st instant, and who will be required to attend the inquest (adjourned to Tuesday, the 13th instant, and to be holden upon that date in the Courthouse, Midleton), has on last evening left the town. Now you are hereby cautioned against keeping the said sub-constable away from said inquiry or inquest, or as peace officer of the district suffering said sub-constable to be out of your custody or control ; and, whereas, there were certain constables and sub-constables of the Royal Irish Constabulary at the time of the said charge under your custody and control and who were parties to, and engaged in same charge. You are also, hereby cautioned against allowing any of said constables and sub-constables to be out of your custody, power, or control, up to and during the continuance of said inquest or inquiry ; and further take notice, that I shall hold you legally responsible for the retention and custody of said constables and sub-constables engaged in the aforementioned charge during the progress of said inquiry.
   “Dated this 6th day of Nov. 1888.
“JOHN P. LEAHY.        
“Solicitor for the next of kin of
Patrick Ahern, deceased.”    
   As on yesterday, the police were to-day very busy in preparing their proofs for the inquest on poor Ahern next Tuesday. District-Inspector Seymour, Mitchelstown, complimented Mr Lync[h], proprietor of Cashman and Company, this evening about 6.30 p.m., with a special visit. It will be remembered that it was the hall of this establishment the police took shelter [in] from the crowd when they were taking Mansfield to the barracks. It will be proved that they had no material reason for going into this place, except through sheer cowardice. The object of his visit was to elicit information favourable to the police, and Mr Lynch, as it was right to do so, gave him what was an authentic account as far as was fair and proper. At time of writing to-night a general rumour exists that Mr Creagh's servants have left him. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this statement, as some say it was only one servant who has left. Mr Leahy, solicitor, who was on a visit to-day in Cork, was dogged by a detective.—Cor.
(Before Messrs Charles Garfit, W E Gumbleton, — [Bagwell?] and H E Redmond, R M).
   A young man named Thomas Moriarty, a native of Dingle, county of Kerry, was put forward by Detective-sergeant Maguire, with having a revolver and 100 rounds of ammunition without a licence. Moriarty landed early in the morning from the Cunard steamer Catalonia, which arrived from Boston, and on his luggage being searched the revolver was found concealed under a false bottom in his trunk wrapped in some wearing apparel, and the ammunition was mixed up with some tobacco. The charge of having arms in a proclaimed district was adjourned until to-day when a Crimes Act Court will sit to investigate the case. The Customs authorities prosecuted for smuggling the pound of tobacco, and a fine of £1 4s 8d was imposed, being treble the value, and costs, and the tobacco forfeited.

   The Press Association Limerick correspondent telegraphs in reference to the recent shooting affray in the west of the county Limerick—The facts are as follows : James Mulcaird, gentleman farmer, while driving with his son on Saturday night about nine o'clock to their residence at Ballycullinone, was fired at from beind a boundary wall at the end of the avenue approaching their abode. Grains of shot went right through the son's hat, missing his head by little more than one inch. The place from where the shot was fired was within three yards of the car. The assailants immediately decamped. The police have made no arrests.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 9 November 1888
Midleton, Thursday Night.    
   A respectable young girl named Margaret Hanley called at Mr. Leahy's office to-day and complained of the brutal manner in which she was beaten by some policemen in Charles-street, Midleton, on the night of November 1st. The facts are that as she was coming down Charles-street a large crowd was running up against her and the police were charging them. During the charge a policeman made towards her and struck her with either his baton or a heavy stick on the side of her head ; he then turned round and said, in a sneering manner, “Perhaps you might like to have I take you to the doctor now.” District Inspector Creaghe proceeded to Cork this morning accompanied by his wife. He returned again at 3 p.m., and was met by Sub-constable Callinan, who was supposed by the public to be on special duty for him, and it is also believed that the object of his visit to Cork was to give his evidence on behalf of the Crown for the inquiry which will be held here on Tuesday next. During his absence District Inspector Seymour was busily engaged in the discharge of his official duties. During the day Sub-constable Swindle, who it will be remembered played a lively part in the charges made by Inspector Creaghe and his followers on Thursday night last in the streets, was observed on special guard duty at the barracks. He appeared to-day on duty in a most hilarious mood, and when any of the public passed he affected a most sneering attitude. His comrades are making themselves very conspicious in the vicinity of Mr Leahy's office, Broderick-street, and watch with great intentness the various witnesses who enter. Up to a late hour last night a party of about eight policemen took up a position in a gateway opposite Broderick street, and at intervals to-day more police have been about the same locality, probably on the same business. To say the least of it, the police or their advisers should see the decency and propriety of not posting themselves in such a manner. It is currently spoken of to-day that one of the servants of District Inspector Creaghe has left his employment. Her name is Mary Keane, from Youghal. It is also rumoured that others are to leave. Squads of police were again parading the streets to-day, and have been keeping a vigilant look-out when District Inspector Seymour appears in their view.

LISMORE UNION—The Local Government Board has declined to sanction the resolution of the guardians appointing Mr Richard O'Donnell, rate-collector for Tallow and Ballyduff divisions. Mr O'Donnell is already collector for Lismore and Cappoquin divisions.

Our COUGH LOZENGES and Glycerine Jujubes, 6d and 1s per box, are highly recommended. Sold only by Wm Harrington and Son, Limited, Chemists, Cork.

PARENTS who want Stockings for their Boys and Girls that will wear well get those made of Blarney fingering, and knit at the Good Shepherd's Convent, to be had only at CASH'S.
   Yesterday at 11 a.m., Resident Magistrates Gardiner and Redmond sat in the courthouse at Queenstown to investigate the case of Thomas Moriarty, who arrived the previous day from America, and in whose baggage was found a revolver and some ammunition. The party charged is a young fellow, not probably twenty years of age. It appears Moriarty, who is American born, came to this country with his parents some few years ago. They settled in Dingle, and he returned again to America, and it was for the purpose of again paying the way of his father and mother to America, and to accompany them out, that [he] now visited this country. The man was put forward in custody charged with having a five-chambered revolver and 100 rounds of ammunition in his possession in a proclaimed district.
   The magistrates, after a short consultation, fined him £4, and ordered the revolver to be forfeited.
   The fine was paid.
   The previous day Moriarty paid £1 4s 6d for concealing the tobacco, and now will have a difficulty in getting his trunk from the Customs, as it appears in point of law the article in which the tobacco was found is forfeited to the Crown.

SHIPPING CASUALTY—The s.s. Westphalia, 720 tons, Captain Kennedy, from Rotterdam, in ballast, bound for Cardiff, put into Queenstown yesterday morning with loss of her funnel. The steamer sailed from Rotterdam on the 2nd inst, and from the outset fell in with extremely bad weather, and on Sunday night, when off the Start, the wind at the time blowing a south east gale and a terrific sea running the mishap occurred. The vessel rolled to a perilous extent, and when a tremendous sea broke over her, striking the funnel and knocking it over the side, the master and crew were alarmed for their safety. The vessel, however, behaved well, and the damage received during the gale, in addition to the loss of the funnel, was not very much. On Monday, the weather somewhat abated, and the vessel had to be handled with care. The effort to make Cardiff in the strong east wind was fruitless, and Captain Kennedy was at last forced to bear up for Queenstown for shelter.

KILLARNEY UNION, YESTERDAY—Mr J D Sheehan, M.P., presided, and there were nine other guardians present. Peter Daly, an evicted tenant, lately holding under Lord Kenmare, applied for a renewal of provisional outdoor relief. The agent, Mr Leonard, however, stated that Daly was at liberty to remove his crops, and also agreed to give him £5 for a quantity of hay on the lands. The board consequently refused the relief asked for. The clerk reported that the uncollected rates amounted to £9,300. It was ordered that prosecutions be instituted against defaulters under the Compulsory Vaccination Act, of whom there are now 397 in the union. The Local Government Board forwarded a representation forwarded from Killorglin ratepayers protesting against the decision of the guardians granting £30 to the clerk for his labours in connection with the waterworks in that town. The consideration of the matter was postponed.
Submitted by dja

--  Cork Examiner, 10 November 1888


In the House of Commons last evening, Mr. W. J. Lane, M.P., asked
the Chief Secretary for Ireland whether Patrick Ahern was killed
in the town of Midleton by a bayonet wound inflicted by a policeman
on the evening of Thursday, 1st November ; whether Ahern swore, in
his dying deposition, that he was not aware of any distrubance
taking place until he was stabbed by a policeman ; whether, after
being stabbed, he was pushed along the street, thrown down, and
beaten by the police ; whether District-Inspector Creaghe ordered
the police to charge the people with fixed bayonets, notwithstanding
the reiterated protest of the Rev Father O'Donoghue, that there
was no justification of such conduct, as the disturbance was over ;
whether District-Inspector Creaghe refused to allow Mr E Hallinan,
J P, and Mr J P Leahy, solicitor for the next of kin, to inspect
the weapons of the police for the purpose of identification of
Ahern's assailant, and whether Mr Creaghe and the policeman in
assault will be suspended, pending an inquiry into their conduct.

The Chief Secretary for Ireland, in reply, said it would be
manifestly improper to discuss in the House of Commons the
circumstances of this case pending the termination of the
coroner's inquiry.  The reply to the last paragraph of the
question was in the negative.


Yesterday Mr Redmond, R M, with a person unkown arrived in
Midleton, and were engaged with the local police authorities for a
considerable time.  It is believed that there will be numerous
prosecutions at the suit of the police in connection with the
murderous affray of Thursday week. Sub-constable Swindle, who is
accused of having stabbed Ahern, paraded the streets ostentatiously
yesterday and was groaned loudly by a number of workmen.


Intelligence has reached the city that the body of Mr Henry
Haines, of Ballinlough, was found in the river near Blackrock
yesterday.  Mr Haines was seen going to Blackrock by the 11
o'clock train.  The deceased was for many years managing partner
of the firm of J C Atkins and Co, wine merchants, South Mall.

It is stated that for the past week Mr Haines appeared to be
suffering under great depression of spirits.  Coroner Horgan
will hold an inquest at Douglas Court-house at three o'clock

Submitted by dja

-- Cork Examiner, 12 November 1888

The Sad Case of Death by Drowning at the Marina
The Inquest
At three o'clock on Saturday Mr Coroner Horgan sat in the Douglas Courthouse
and held an inquest on the body of Mr Henry Haynes, of Douglas, who was
found drowned in the River Lee on Friday. The deceased was principal
partner in the firm of Atkins & Co., wine merchants, South Mall ; and his
untimely death is much regretted by all who knew him. Mr George T Harley,
solr., appeared for the Imperial Accidental Insurance Company ; and Mr R
Deyos, solr., was present on behalf of the family of the deceased. The
following jury were sworn:-- Messrs Edward Eager (foreman), Patrick Barry,
Denis Duggan, Michael Sullivan, Wm. Cox, John Dorgan, Samuel Baker, Daniel
Cotter, Cornelius Mahony, John Leary, Thomas Cogan, E. R. Conran, and John

Miss Mary Haynes, daughter of the deceased, was the first witness examined.
She said that her father left his residence on Friday morning at a quarter
to nine o'clock in hus usual health. At half-past two o'clock she heard of
his death.

Mr Etienue Mollard, an employe in Messrs Atkins & Co's, said that he saw
the deceased in the office on the South Mall on Friday morning about
twenty minutes past nine o'clock. Mr Haynes opened his letters as usual
and left orders for witness. Deceased was then in his usual health. He
knew Mr Haynes for fifteen years, and on Friday morning he was just the
same as ever he was.  Shortly before eleven o'clock Mr Haynes went to the
Provincial Bank to make a lodgment. In reply to Mr Deyos the witness said
that during the fifteen years he knew Mr Haynes his mental condition was
all right, and on Friday morning there was not the least change in him
; he was in his usual health and spirits. When Mr Haynes went out to make
lodgments in the bank he would often be out for a longer time than would
be necessary to do so, and he might have gone doing other business, or for
a walk. The deceased was fond of walking, and even on wet evenings he
would prefer walking home to taking a car.

Wm. Ahern, gardener in the employment of Mr. Ryan, near Blackrock, said
that about twenty minutes past eleven o'clock on Friday morning he saw a
gentleman going up along the Marina from Blackrock. He did not know the
gentleman, but he remarked to a boy along with him that (judging from the
beard) he was like Dr Cummins. He next saw the dead body at two o'clock on
the bank, and he was told it was the body of Mr Haynes. The body was about
three hundred yards from where he saw the gentleman walking previously. It
was ebb tide at the time.

John Cremen, fisherman, Blackrock, said he was in a boat on the river
about twenty minutes to twelve on Friday when he saw an object in the
water. The skirts of the coat were up and the head was down, there being
about eight feet of water at the spot. The body was floating, and where he
found it was about three hundred yards above the slip. Although it was ebb
tide the current would have carried the body up to the place it was found
supposing the deceased had gone down to the slip for any purpose and had
fallen in. When he found the body it was out of the current, and it was
therefore floating down with the ebb tide. The body was about a hundred
yards from the quay.

Sergeant John Dunne, Blackrock, deposed that at five minutes to twelve a
boy brought word to the barrack that a dead body was found in the river
off the Marina. Constable Grace and he went to the spot, and saw Cremin
towing it to the slip. On searching the body he found a gold watch, which
had stopped at twenty-seven minutes past eleven. He also found a key, a
pencil, and 2s 8d in money ; and in the water he found a tooth-brush.
Subsequently, he found 6d more in one of the pockets ; also a piece of
quill used as a toothpick. Dr R Burke, Douglas, said he examined the body
but had not made a post-mortem examination. There was a peacefull expression
on the face of the deceased, and there were no marks of violence. It
seemed to him that the man had died from shock. The hands were gloved, and
there was no appearance of any struggle having been made.

Submitted by dja


Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.