The Cork Examiner, 1 June 1881

The presiding magistrates yesterday were—Messrs F H Gallwey (in the chair), H B Burke, George A Wood, B Martin, J B C Justice, and the Rev Mr Freke.

A farmer named Sheehan was fined 10s for an assault on a blacksmith named Donoghue. The assault arose out of a dispute about the right of ownership of a field. Mr Scannell, solicitor, appeared for the defendant, and Mr Julian for the complainant.

Sub-Inspector Dickinson, Queenstown, summoned a publican named Conroy, of Knockraha, for having his house open for the sale of liquor during prohibited hours on Sunday, the 8th of May. The following defendants were also summoned for having been on the premises on the occasion:—Mr J B C Justice, J P, Patrick Hogan, and James Ahern. Mr A Julian, who appeared for the defendants said he was ready to admit that those parties were on the premises, but he intended to justify their being there.

Sub-constable M'Keown was examined and stated in reply to Mr. Dickson—I was in the barrack at Knockraha on the 8th of May ; when I saw Mr. Justice, Ahern, and Hogan go into Conroy's public-house ; I went over to the house about ten minutes afterwards, and as I was crossing the road Mr. Justice came out of the house and called me back, but I did not mind him at the time, as I considered he was under the influence of liquor.

Mr. Julian—Better confine yourself to the offence mentioned in the summons ; there is no such charge against Mr. Justice, and it is most improper to volunteer such evidence.

Witness continued—I saw the three men go in, but I only saw Mr. Justice come out ; he lives about a mile from the place ; when I went in the bar was open.

Mr. Julian—I will admit there was drink given.

Cross-examined by Mr. Julian—The public house is nearly opposite the police barrack, and no one could go in without being seen from the barracks ; the parties went in the most open manner.

Sub-constable Reilly stated that on Sunday, the 8th of May, he was told off to take care of the public houses for the day about five minutes to five in the evening he saw Mr. Justice going into the house, but he did not see any one going in with him ; saw two men named Hogan and Ahern coming out, and asked them what they were doing, and Mr. Justice motioned his hand and told me to go back and take a little drop as I was coming out of the door.

Mr. Julian said there was no charge of bribing, and it was likely that Mr. Justice thought the sub-constable was making himself too officious.

Constable Cummins stated that he went in and spoke to Mrs Conroy, and asked her why she allowed the men in, and she said that they were brought in by Mr Justice. The defendants also made the same statement.

Mr Julian said he did not attempt to deny that those persons were on the premises, but he would be able to satisfy the Bench that the premises were not open for the sale of drink. The week previous a sow was alleged to have been maliciously killed in the neighbourhood, and the owner signified his intention of putting a claim in for compensation from the county, Mr Justice, as the magistrate of the neighbourhood in which this malicious injury occurred, on its coming under his cognisance, thought it his duty to investigate the matter, and on being informed that Conroy was the last man who saw the pig alive, he went down to make inquiries. Hogan was accused of killing the pig, and when they were in the house Conroy insisted they should have a liquor, but no money was paid. He thought their worships would be satisfied that the house was not open for the sale of drink.

Mr Justice was examined and said that a malicious injury was reported by the owner of a pig, who said he intended to make a claim on the county for £20. On this Sunday, Hogan whose son was charged with killing the pig, came over to his house and asked him to make inquiries. He said he would drive down in the evening and he did so in company with the defendants, Hogan and Ahern who knew something about the value of pigs. On his oath he went there for no other purpose, except to investigate matters ; Mrs Conroy gave some drink, but no money was paid for it.

Sub-Inspector Dickson—In what capacity did you go there ; was it as a magistrate?


Mr Dickson—Did you know that summonses were issued at the suit of the Queen v. Hogan for this offence?


Sub-Inspector—Did Hogan tell you his son had been served with a summons?


Sub-Inspector—Was it after the summons had been served in the name of the Queen v. the defendant, at the next petty sessions?

Witness—Yes, I went when I heard a claim for £20 was to be made on the county.

Examination continued—Did any person pay for drink in the house? No. Who supplied the drink? Mrs Conroy.

Mr Julian—Perhaps you don't understand the question put by the Sub-Inspector ; was it for the purpose of investigating the matter as a magistrate or a cesspayer you went there?

Witness—I went there as a cesspayer and a magistrate when I heard of the claim being made on the county.

Mr Gallwey—You know as a magistrate that notice must be given before the claim is made?

Sub-Inspector—He knows that the claim could not be made until the case at Petty Session was recorded.

Mr Gallwey—That matter is not before us now.

Patrick Hogan deposed that they went to make inquiries about the pig ; the door was open while they were inside and Mr Justice's trap was at the door ; there was no money paid for the drink which was given as a present by Mrs Conroy.

James Ahern gave similar evidence.

Mr Julian said there was a statement slipped out from the first witness which at the time he considered at the time to be a most improper piece of volunteer evidence, and now in justice felt that he should contradict that statement.

Mr Justice said—Upon my oath I was sober on that day as I am this minute. I had only one drink that day.

Mr Julian—That extremely young constable had no right to volunteer such a statement.

The bench then retired, and on resuming, Mr Gallwey said—We have given this case the greatest consideration, being a matter affecting the character of one of our bench, as well as a very respectable publican in the neighbourhood. Though we consider there are very grave doubts in the case, we are bound to give the defendant the benefit of the doubt ; we must dismiss the case on this ground. I think I will express the opinion of my brother magistrates by saying that it was very injudicious to go into a public house on a Sunday and leave people under the impression that there was a transgression of the law. We had very great difficulty in deciding a case of this kind.

The court was adjourned.

Submitted by dja

The Cork Examiner, 2 June 1881

KILMURRY LAND LEAGUE—A meeting of the above branch was held on Sunday last. Mr. D. O'Sullivan, president occupied the chair. A resolution protesting against the arrest of Father Sheehy and Mr. Dillon, was unanimously carried. A second resolution was also adopted—"That in future no person in this district will accomodate the police with cars or otherwise, to attend Land League meetings, or for any purpose whatsoever where Land League interests are involved." The case of Mrs. Jane Whiteway, against Jeremiah Ahern, and Jeremiah Murphy, both of Crossmahon, was next brought under consideration of the meeting. Mr. Ahern having explained their having respectfully petitioned their landlady for a reasonable reduction in his rent, which she refused, and served him and Mr. Murphy with a writ for 12 years' rent immediately after. The rent is sixty-five per cent. over Griffith's valuation. A resolution was passed—"That we pledge ourselves to give these tenants our moral and pecuniary support to resist the payment of this rack-rent." It is anxiously hoped that this lady may yet reconsider her decision and thus avoid disturbing a quiet and peacable district.—Communicated.

MITCHELSTOWN LAND LEAGUE—A large meeting of the above branch, at which about one hundred members attended, was held on Sunday, 29th instant, at the Land League Offices, Mr J J Greene presiding. The exciting events of the past week formed the chief topic of discussion. The harsh conduct of Mr John Parson Westropp, of Dublin, towards Mr J J Greene, one of his tenants, who has been refused any concession whatsoever, was referred to. Mr Green has lately disposed of all his stock, so that the landlord shall either have to give him an abatement or evict him, and in the latter case he will have something to do to get a new tenant. The following resolution was passed: —"That the sympathy of this branch be tendered to Mr Greene for the loss he has sustained in being compelled to sell his cattle by the inexorable and arbitrary action of his landlord." The arrest of Mr Thomas Brennan, secretary of the Irish National Land League, was also discussed, and a resolution strongly condemning it was passed unanimously. A resolution passed at a previous meeting, but not put in force until the first eviction would take place, was again read, and the traders of the town and district were now requested to put it at once into execution. The meeting then adjourned. —Communicated
POLICE OFFICE—YESTERDAY—Before Mr. A. Mitchell, R.M. A respectable looking man named John Roche was put forward in the dock charged with stealing of a number of cattle the previous evening. Mr. Scannell, solicitor, appeared for the prisoner. A man named Sheehan appeared, and stated, first, that the cattle were his own, and, subsequently, that they were the property of his sister. The prisoner, who lived at Mayfield, said the cattle were trespassing on his land ; he told Sheehan of the fact, and Sheehan denied ownership of them. Roche did not know what to do with the cattle, for when he drove them off his land they came back again. He then drove the cattle into Cork, as he alleged for the purpose of impounding them, and on his way called at the police station on the Lower road to inquire where the pound was. He learned that there was no pound, and he then took the cattle to some grazing land near the Dyke, leaving his name and address with Mr Linehan, the owner of the land. Constable Rowe of the Patrick's Hill station, said he arrested the prisoner on the allegation of Sheehan that he was stealing the cattle, and going to take them over to England. Mr Mitchell said he could not believe that the prisoner had any intention to steal the cattle, as he called at the police station to make the inquiries which he said he did. He considered the conduct of Sheehan in first denying the ownership of the cattle when they trespassed, and afterwards claiming them, was most improper. He should discharge the prisoner, and ordered that the cattle be given up to the owner. A large number of persons were fined for having dogs unlicensed. Mr Blake appeared on behalf of the Great Southern and Western Railway Company to prosecute a man named Michael Shyne, car-driver, for refusing to leave the company's premises at Glanmire when requested to do so. He was convicted of a similar offence twice previously, and fined £1 on each occasion. He was now fined 20s and 10s costs. There were no other cases of interest before the court.
Submitted by dja

The Cork Examiner, 7 June 1881

Killarney, Monday.
YESTERDAY, about five o'clock in the afternoon, a cloud of grief was cast over Killarney and its neighbourhood by the intelligence having been quickly circulated that three men were drowned on the lower lake quite close to the Muckross shore. It appears two parties started from Cahernane on a tour of pleasure across the lakes. The water was pretty rough, there being a smart breeze blowing at the time. One of the boats got broadside against the wind, a heavy wave entered her, the crew became terrified, and the consequence was that all were thrown into the water. Two men, named Halloran and Collins, caught hold of each other and sank to the bottom, and were immediately lost. Two other men, named Collins and Connor, clung on to the ill-fated boat, and thus saved themselves from sinking all at once, but as the young man, Ahern, was drawing close to them with another boat, Connor was so exhausted that he let go his hold, and was lost, but Collins was saved. Halloran was a very respectable young man, a blacksmith by trade, and the other two were farmer's sons. At an early hour this morning a number of men and police went out with grappling-irons, but up to the time I despatch no tidings have been got of the bodies.
On Sunday his lordship the Right Rev Dr Delany visited Kinsale for the purpose of confirmation. A large number of persons attended at the parochial church anxious to hear his lordship's eloquent remarks. High Mass commenced at 12 o'clock, celebrant being the Rev E Murphy, R C C, Kinsale; deacon, Rev J Barrett, Kinsale; and subdeacon Rev E Southwell. The bishop felt very much pleased at the answering of the children, and returned his most sincere thanks to the teachers of the parish who, he said, could not be exceeded.
Submitted by dja

The Cork Examiner, 10 June 1881

Killarney, Sunday Evening.   
   It is with sincere regret I announce the sad and sudden death of Mr John Coffey, an extensive and respectable victualler, which took place at his residence in High-street at three o'clock yesterday evening. The deceased appeared in the enjoyment of his usual health, and was engaged in superintending the transaction of his business during the day. The Rev. James Counihan, C.C., was quickly on the spot, and administered to the deceased the last rites of the Church. The lamented deceased, whose untimely end has created a pang of sorrow throughout the town, enjoyed the respect and esteem of all who knew him, or had any connection with him either in his business capacity or in private intercourse. He was a good husband and a kind father, a man of the highest order of integrity, and of the most kindly disposition to his fellow-townsmen. This feeling was fully testified by the large and respected number of friends who bore his remains to the Cathedral for interment the previous evening. At one o'clock a solemn requiem for the deceased was celebrated in the Cathedral. The officiating clergymen were the Rev. James Counihan, high priest ; Father M'Carthy, deacon ; Father Dillon, sub-deacon. At the conclusion of the ceremonies the cortege, which comprised every class in the local community, accompanied the remains to their final resting-place at Aghadoe, where the last absolutions were pronounced by the Rev. Father M'Carthy, Adm., assisted by the Rev. Canon Coffey, Rev. James Counihan, Father Dillon, Father Griffin, Tralee, and Father Fuller, Kilcummeen. The coffin, which bore splendidly wrought immortelles, was deposited amidst the sad manifestations of a sorrowing crowd. The deceased, who was aged 54 years, died of a relapse of congestion of the lungs. R.I.P.
Submitted by dja

Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.