The Cork Examiner, 23 December 1878
(Before Messrs. J. S. Macleod, R.M., Henry Unkles, C. J. Cantillon, and W. L. Perrier.)
THERE were but seven prisoners in the dock, the offences being mostly drunkenness.
   Several boys were brought up on summons, charged with having made a slide in Duncan-street on that and the preceding days.
   The Bench said that there were several persons in the Infirmary in consequence of this sliding. It should be put down.
   The defendants were fined 5s. each.
   Richard Morgan, charged with having been drunk and disorderly on the previous day, was fined 10s., or go to gaol for a week.
   Margaret Gillman was summoned by Sub-constable 143 for having assaulted her husband in his (constable's) presence.
   The husband deposed that he was afraid of his wife and wanted to get a separation (laughter).
   Mr. Macleod—This is not a Divorce Court. We shall not interfere between husband and wife.
   The case was dismissed.
   John Laffan summoned a man named Patrick Walton for having set a dog, the property of the defendant, on his dog, which was much smaller, and which had been fearfully torn.
   The complainant, sworn, deposed that on Wednesday he saw defendant's dog and his dog tangled on the road outside his gate. Defendant was encouraging the dog, and said to complainant that he had kept his promise. This was referring to a threat which the defendant had repeatedly made use of, that he would get his dog to tear complainant's dog, which was a small cocker, and tear himself also if he interfered. On complainant trying to separate them, defendant struck complainant. The dogs got separated, and defendant set them on again inside the gate. His (complainant's) dog's jaw was nearly torn off, and, in fact, so torn that it would be a mercy to shoot it.
   Michael Dwyer was summoned for having aided and abetted the defendant in setting the dogs on, and also with having encouraged the defendant to strike the complainant.
   Dwyer was examined and denied everything, and swore that Laffan struck defendant's dog with a blackthorn stick before the dogs tangled and afterwards struck complainant [sic].
   The defendant was fined £1 and 10s. costs.
   Dwyer, whom the bench considered had not been so bad, was fined ten shillings and the ordinary costs of the court.
   Mr. Blake appeared for complainant, and Mr. O'Connell for the defendant.
   Mr. Blake appeared also on behalf of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to prosecute the defendants.
   Philip Cudmore, officer of the above society, and two policemen deposed that the dog was a good deal torn about the mouth.
   Mr. O'Connell, who appeared for the defendant in this case also, submitted that there was not enough evidence to prove that the defendant had wilfully set those dogs on and been guilty of cruelty.
   The case against Dwyer was dismissed. Walton was fined 5s.
   Constable Curran summoned Jeremiah Riordan, publican, Warren's Place, for having unlawfully failed and prevented in admitting him into his house when required. The constable deposed that on Sunday night about twelve o'clock seeing lights and hearing voices inside the house he rapped at the door. Being kept waiting witness knocked again and said it was the police. He had to wait seven minutes before he was admitted. Before he was admitted he heard people passing inside. On going upstairs he found two men in bed whom defendant stated were lodgers.
   Sub-constable Bulmer was examined, and gave corroborative evidence.
   The defendant, his wife and the barmaid were examined for the defence, and stated that the reason they kept the constable waiting was that they were often imposed upon, and waited till they were sure that it was the police.
   The Bench considered that the present case was one of grave suspicion, and one that the constable was quite right in bringing forward, but considering the evidence they would dismiss the case.
   There were no other cases of interest.—Adjourned.

Tralee, Saturday Evg.    
   The condemned man, John Heffernan, who had been convicted at the Munster Winter Assizes of the murder of Julia Clifford, at Dromin, near Killorglin, arrived from Cork last evening by the 7.15 p.m. train under a strong escort. He was met at the railway station by a number of the local constabulary armed, and was conveyed to the county gaol, where he awaits execution as adjudged. The unfortunate fellow was heavily manacled and looked ghastly pale. A large crowd of the curious folk assembled at the Railway station to see him. It has been stated that a petition to the Executive is in course of preparation, and will be forwarded duly on his behalf with a view to having the sentence commuted, viz., from death to confinement in a criminal lunatic asylum.
   The following paragraph appeared in this evening's Kerry Post :—The workmen in the employ of Maurice F. Sandes, Esq., of Oak-park, have asked us to state that the gentleman and his good lady have supplied them and their families with warm winter clothing and blankets, as well as having supplied them with plenty of fuel. As usual, he has had a stall-fed beast slaughtered to be divided between them at Christmas. They are loud in their praises of him. We are aware that other landlords have acted similarly, but at this very trying season the above is an example that should be generally followed.

Limerick Saturday Evening.    
   A melancholy and very tragic occurrence took place last night at Ardkyle, near Newmarket-on-Fergus. It would appear a farmer named Lot M'Inerney and his wife were engaged in a domestic row in their own house, when their son Michael, a young man about 20 years of age, rushed between and endeavoured to separate them. He evidently interfered to protect his mother, who was receiving rather rough usage from her husband. Old M'Inerney's rage was then turned upon his son, and taking up a fowling piece he poured into him with deadly aim its full contents. The gun happened at the moment to be loaded and to be close at hand. The poor young man fell insensible on the floor and blood issued freely from several parts of his body where the shot had penetrated. The cries of the agonized father when he perceived the consequences of his rash act, and the moans and wailing of the afflicted mother attracted some neighbours who procured medical aid as quickly as possible. Nothing, however, could be done to save the life of the sufferer, who died at nine o'clock this morning. It is stated that shortly before his death he called his father to the bedside and forgave him for what he had done, saying he was sure the parent did not know what he was doing at the time he shot him. The only brother of the deceased was absent when the fatality occurred. His father was taken into custody to-day. An inquest has not yet been held.

ST. AUGUSTINE'S CHURCH.—In this church, on Christmas Day, High Mass will be celebrated at twelve o'clock, at which Mozart's Twelfth Mass will be sung by an effective choir of over thirty voices, and the instrumental parts performed by a full orchestra.
Ottawa, Friday.    
   It is understood that in January next official correspondence will commence between the Government of Newfoundland and Canada, with reference to admission of the former province into the Dominion. Private communications on this subject have already been exchanged.

   As a large number of persons were skating on Lough Erne, near Ennis, on Saturday afternoon, the ice gave way and four young women, named Catherine and Maria Gallagher, sisters, and Kate, Frith and Margaret Johnstone were drowned.

MILORO—On the 22nd instant, at 5, Westbourne Place, Queenstown, after a long and painful illness, Isabella Italico, second daughter of Chevalier George Miloro, Italian Consul. Funeral on Thursday next, at 10 a.m.
DENHAM—On the 20th instant, at her residence, Belvidere, Tivoli, after a short illness, the beloved wife of Capt. R. F. Denham. Funeral to Youghal on this day (Monday), by 10.30 train, private.

INQUEST.—Mr. Bryan Gallwey, coroner, held an inquest on Saturday at the South Infirmary on the body of Margaret Coughlan. It appeared in evidence that deceased was aged eight years, and that while warming herself by a fire in the room where she lived, her clothes took fire, and was so much injured that she died in about two hours at the South Infirmary, to which she had been removed. Verdict —Death caused by accidental burning. Mr. Gallwey held another inquest on Jeremiah Mahony. The evidence showed that deceased had been a labourer and that while passing along the street he dropped and died almost immediately. Verdict—Death from disease of the heart.

RATHCORMAC CHARITABLE FUND.—A fund for the relief of the poor of Rathcormac was opened on last week by Messrs. J. Murphy, D. Nunan, and W. Arnold, and in the comparatively short space of three or four days the liberal sum of £20 was contributed by the people of the town. Coal was distributed amongst the poor of the town, who, we are sorry to say, number over 40 families. The poor also expect some provision for their Christmas dinner, something to raise their spirits in the coming happy season. It is a pleasure to learn that whilst the better part of us are enjoying the comfort of a good coal fire and soforth, the poor are not altogether destitute.

SNOW BALLING.—At the Waterford petty sessions on Thursday, Mr. J. F. Lee Barber, 3rd Dragoon Guards, and Mr. Robert Beresford, were charged with disorderly conduct, snow-balling, and refusing to give their names to the police. The defendants, who did not appear and were professionally represented, were fined 10s. each and costs.

   FIRE AT MALLOW.—On Saturday evening about five o'clock a fire broke out in Mr. Michael O'Connell's house, and that of Mr. William Murphy's, Bridge Street. The conflagration attracted an immense crowd, and were it not for the energetic services rendered on the occasion by William Finnigan, the houses of Mr. Mars J. O'Connell and Mr. Daniel O'Shea would have been completely burned. Again I have to draw the attention of the so called body, “the Mallow Town Commissioners,” to the absolute necessity of procuring a fire engine, as at present the inhabitants, in case where a fire breaks out are left to the mercy of the flames. I am happy to state that scarcely any injury was sustained by the occupants of these houses. —Correspondent.

A L L   K I N D S
'X M A S   C A K E S
A S   U S U A L

RESPECTFULLY informs the Public that he has on view this day and following days a beautiful supply of Prime three-years old HEFFER BEEF, fed by a most eminent Feeder, JOHN YOEMAN CLEARY, Esq., County Limerick.
   Also, prime three-year old Wether MUTTON, fed by GEORGE BOLSTER, near Annesgrove, Castletownroche.
   All above will be Sold at the lowest possible prices.

   SHEEP STEALING.—On Thursday, the 10th inst. four sheep were sold in the fair of Newmarket at a low price. The purchaser thought them too cheap, which aroused his suspicion. He asked the seller to give him security that the sheep were his own property. The seller went in search of a friend, but did not return. The buyer gave information to Sub-constable Peter Mullins, who after searching the fair-field, came upon a man answering to the description given him. He went towards him ; the man ran away, and after a long run the constable caught him. The sheep were claimed to-day by two farmers from Nolaghroe, in this county. Great credit is due to the sub-constable for capturing him as the fair was crowded at the time.—Correspondent.

CLOYNE CHARITABLE COAL FUND.—At the special request of the esteemed Parish Priest of Cloyne, the Very Reverend Canon Buckley, a meeting was held in Cloyne on last Wednesday, for the purpose of inaugurating a fund for the relief of the poor of the parish. At no time since the years of the famine was relief so much needed in this locality. The population of the parish is about 7,000. There is no resident landed proprietor. The farmers, rack-rented as they are, can scarcely meet their demands in years of plenty. What then must their condition be after three such years as they have lately passed through? They cannot afford to give employment much less relief to the poor, who need labour for them. The people of Cloyne pay £30,000 a year to absentee landlords. We sincerely trust these landlords, as well as the general public, will respond generously to the appeal which will be made to them. Among those present at the meeting were—Rev. Horace Fleming, Clerk ; Rev. J. M'Swiney, C.C. ; Thomas M. Dwane, M.D., Patrick A. Riordan, M.D. ; Daniel Cronin, P.L.G. ; David St. John Ross, M.D. ; Wm. J. Tattan, Wm. J. Donegan, Thomas Walsh, David Lawton, William Forde, Wm. Daly, Wm. Donovan, Denis Swanton, &c. On the motion of Rev. J. M'Swiney, seconded by Dr. Riordan, Rev. Mr. Fleming was appointed Chairman. Messrs. Daniel Cronin and Denis Swanton were appointed, respectively, Treasurer and Secretary. It was resolved that a fund be raised to supply coals as well as food and clothing for the poor of the district. The Catholic and Protestant Clergymen of the parish, with power to add to their number, to collect funds, to ascertain the pressing necessities of the poor, and to afford them immediate relief. A subscription list was opened, when about £40 were handed in. A first list of subscriptions will appear in a few days. A warm vote of thanks to the Chairman having been passed, the meeting adjourned.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 27 December 1878
Mr. Coroner HORGAN held an inquest on Tuesday in the guard-room of the County Gaol into the circumstances attending the death of Denis Leary, of Kissassin, near Kinsale, who, having been tried for forgery at the recent Winter Assizes, before Judge Barry, was sentenced to undergo twelve months' imprisonment. The deceased was about fifty years of age. Mrs. Leary was examined and said that her husband was in good health when arrested in August last. Charles Oxford, chief-warder, said that in the doctor's opinion Leary was in failing health on the 24th August, on which day he had been committed to the County Gaol from the Cork Police Office. In reply to the coroner, witness said deceased had not been subjected to the plank-bed system, as no prisoners were obliged to lie on the plank bed until after their conviction. Leary was admitted to hospital on the 15th of December. During the whole time he was in the gaol he wore his own clothing, but he had the prison bed-clothing, which consisted of two blankets, two sheets, and a rug. He had a mattress to lie upon. Leary received the prison diet, which was—for breakfast, 4 oz. of oaten and 8 oz. of Indian meal, with one pint of boiling milk ; dinner, 14 oz. bread and a quart of boiling milk ; supper, 6 oz. bread and one pint boiling milk. Dr. William Beamish said Leary was in tolerable good health when committed to the gaol ; but on the day following his sentence witness had to send him to the hospital. Witness ordered him beef tea, and a fire was placed in his room. He was suffering from chest disease—pneumonia. On the 18th December witness forwarded a memorial to the prison authorities, stating that Leary was in imminent danger, but he did not receive any reply. Witness said it was remarkable the small amount of mortality they had in the Cork County Gaol when compared with similar institutions throughout the country, as that was the third death during the past six years. The Coroner said it was plain that everything that could be done for the deceased was done by the doctor and the gaol staff. It was evident that he died of chest disease, and the jury accordingly returned a verdict to that effect.
   Mr. Coroner Blake held two inquests yesterday at the North Infirmary. The first was on the body of an old woman named Peggy Donoghue, who was brought into that institution on Christmas Eve suffering from collapse, occasioned by exposure. When admitted she was unconscious, and despite the efforts of the medical staff, she died about eight o'clock the same evening. Verdict—Death from disease of the heart. The second inquest was on a child named Catherine Moynihan, who was so severely burned while taking a kettle off the fire in her parents' house that she succumbed to her injuries shortly after being admitted. Verdict—Accidental Death.
   Mr. Bryan Gallwey, coroner, held an inquest yesterday on the body of John Rogers. It appeared from the evidence that deceased had been an inmate of the alms-house in Cove-street, and that on Wednesday morning he was found in a yard to the rere of it, stretched on the ground quite dead. Verdict—Death caused by disease of the heart.

   The transatlantic mail steamer Louisianian went ashore at Hunter's rock, three miles from Larne, on Tuesday morning, while making for Larne harbour. The passengers and mails were landed in safety. The steamer still remains on the rock. The accident occurred during a dense fog.
   During the heavy gale on Christmas Eve, the brigantine Princess Alice, of Hull, went ashore at the harbour's mouth, close to Camden Fort. Owing to the state of the weather and the position of the vessel, the steamers sent out to render assistance were unable to approach the stranded vessel, and she broke up during the night. The crew have all perished. The Queenstown lifeboat was ordered out soon after the vessel went ashore, but through the incompetency of the crew rendered no assistance.
   The Cork Board of Guardians yesterday received a recommendation from the Local Government Board in reference to the night watchman, Moore, who in the recent inquiry at the workhouse was proved to have been guilty of immorality with more than one of the female inmates. The Board insisted on his immediate dismissal, and called the attention of the guardians to the laxity of discipline disclosed at the inquiry. The guardians dismissed Moore, and required the master to furnish a report next week showing what safeguards he intends to provide against the immoral conduct brought to light by the inquiry.
   A shocking catastrophe occurred on Christmas morning in a house on Kyrl's quay in this city, inhabited by a man named Butler and his family, consisting of his wife and three children. In the shop there was a disused gas pipe, and during the night and escape of gas took place, which filled the whole house with the poisonous vapour, and caused the death of Butler and his three children, who were sleeping in an upper room. Some of Butler's neighbours finding the house still closed at eleven o'clock on Christmas morning, forced an entrance, and got in just in time to save the life of Mrs. Butler, who was in the same bed with her husband and children. An inquest was opened yesterday by Mr. Coroner Gallway, and will be resumed at twelve o'clock to-day.
   A terrible incident has just occurred at Chapette Mons in the Orne. A crowd of children were sliding on the pond when the ice broke, and 48 were drowned.

(Before his Worship the Mayor.)
THERE were several cases of drunkenness, nearly all of which were first offences. In consideration of its being “Christmas times,” a mitigated fine of 2s. 6d. was imposed in each case.
   Patrick Ellard, a member of the Fire Brigade, who had been arrested charged with having grievously assaulted another of the same body named O'Sullivan, by throwing his tomahawk at him was put forward by Acting-constable Ryan.
   Head-constable Shea stated to his worship that the man's life was in danger, and applied for a remand.
   The prisoner was accordingly remanded for a week.
   Sub-constable Lord put forward a young man named Patrick Murphy, charged with having stolen and pledged a quilt and some clothes, the property of a member of his (the prisoner's) family. He was remanded for further evidence.

FURIOUS ENCOUNTER BETWEEN TWO FIREMEN.—Shortly before twelve o'clock on Christmas Day word was brought to the Fire Brigade on Sullivan's-quay that a chimney was on fire at 29, Patrick-street. Superintendent Wickham and some of his men were soon on the spot, and the fire was speedily got under. As the party were about returning to the station one of the firemen named Patrick Ellard, asked another fireman named John Sullivan, to carry a hand pump they had with them at the fire. Sullivan replied, “Carry it yourself ; you are in uniform.” An altercation ensued, which terminated in Ellard flinging his axe at Sullivan, which struck the latter on the head, producing a fracture of the skull and chipping a piece off the bone. Sullivan naturally became maddened by the pain he felt, and as the blood flowed profusely from the wound, he turned on Ellard and struck him several times, besides giving him a severe kick in the abdomen. Two policemen then came on the scene, and had Sullivan removed to the North Infirmary, while Ellard was placed in the bridewell. Drs. O'Sullivan and Hobart, of the Surgical Visiting Staff of the North Infirmary, were immediately in attendance on Sullivan. On inquiry at the infirmary at a late hour last night we were informed that Sullivan was dangerously ill. The injuries he received were of a most serious character, but through the exertions of the house-surgeon and the resident medical pupil, who are untiring in their efforts to alleviate the sufferings, it is hoped that the case may not terminate fatally. Ellard was brought up at the Police Office yesterday, and remanded for eight days, the bench refusing to take bail until Sullivan's life was considered out of danger.

THESE Sessions were held on Tuesday, Mr. R. Barter being the only justice in attendance.
   Constable Darby summoned Wm. Ryan, Cloghroe, for being drunk. Defendant did not appear. The constable stated that this was not the first nor twentieth time defendant was summoned for a similar offence. He was fined £1 or 14 day's imprisonment, his Worship intimating that only for Christmas times the penalty would be greater.
   Michael Fitzgerald and James Buckley were fined 10s. each for bowling on the public road.
   Two youths named Daniel Mahoney and Thos. Twomey, were summoned for throwing missiles at the telegraph poles near Blarney. The sub-constable proved the case, and said that he was not positive it was stones the boys threw at the insulators. No damage was done to the wires.
   An officer from the Telegraph Department was in attendance, but as the charge was not pressed, a fine of 6d. and costs was imposed, his Worship stating that if they came before him again he would give them six months on the treadmill.
   Micl. Sheehan and Daniel Sheehan, two lads, were fined 1s. and costs for stealing four pieces of timber (value 4d.) from the demesne of Sir George Colthurst. The father of the lads was also summoned for taking away the timber. He was fined in a similar penalty. Constable Wm. Stratter proved the case.
   Julie Haly, a young girl, only sixteen years of age, was brought up in custody charged with child desertion. She admitted the offence, stating that she had only come out of the workhouse and she was afraid to bring the child with her to her father's house.
   A young girl named Catherine Carrahar deposed to finding the child inside the road ditch at Monolaghey. It was lying on the snow, and its screams attracted her attention. She took the infant home, and had it fed until conveyed to the workhouse, where it was at present.
   The constable who had charge of the case said the prisoner's father was willing to take his daughter and her child home.
   His Worship adjourned the case until next court day, and the prisoner was allowed out on her own recognisances.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 28 December 1878
Amount already acknowledged £12342
Savage French, Esq. 200
W. J. Cummins, Esq. 110
Captain Newenham 200
Mrs. Barry, Spy Hill 0100
Robert Townsend, Esq., Fernside 100
J. Leader, J.P. 100
Charles P. Seymour 100
G. W. Anderson, R.N. 100
Captain Christian 0100
The Bank of Ireland 220
The Rev. Mr. T. F. Black 0100
N. G. Yourdi, Greek Consul (One Ton Coals)
Alexander Bremner, J.P. 0100
Beamish and Crawford (per Miss Hill) 330
D. R. Kane, Esq. 1100
Rev. Mr. Ashlin (second subscription) 100
William Inman, Esq., Liverpool 220
Misses Deasy 100
F. Royden, Esq., Liverpool 0100
Miss Aldworth 100
Mrs. B. Sheppard 100
The Great Southern and Western Railway Company 500
Captain Gibbons, R.N. 100
Dr. E. H. Townsend 110
White Point 0100
Mrs. Purcell, Norwood 100
Messrs. J. J. Murphy and Co. 200
Mrs. Kennedy, Queen's Hotel 100
William Cronin, Esq., Tivoli 100
Daniel O'Sullivan, Esq., Cork 100
   Further subscriptions shall be thankfully received by the Clergymen of the Parish ; or
            J. W. SCOTT, Chairman, T.C.
            DR. BRICKNELL, Treasurer.
            DAVID TWOMEY, Hon. Sec.
   Queenstown, December 27, 1878

COMPLIMENTARY DINNER AT QUEENSTOWN.—Several friends of Mr. W. Lawless, of the Telegraph Department, G.P.O., entertained him at a farewell dinner at Cooke's Hotel, on St. Stephen's Day. Amongst the company were :— Messrs. H. Totam, W. Meehan, S. Donovan, J. Lawless, J. Barry, W. Barry, L. Barry, Captain D. Cooke, &c., &c. Towards the conclusion of the repast, several of those present spoke in very complimentary terms of Mr. Lawless, and felicitated him on his promotion to the responsible office of postmaster, at Dundalk. A most enjoyable evening was spent, and at a late hour the company separated.

QUEENSTOWN PETTY SESSIONS.—YESTERDAY.—Before J. N. Beamish, F. Leader, C. Garfit, and W. R. Starkie, R.M.— There were no cases of public importance for hearing. —Adjourned.
NEW POST OFFICE FOR SUNDAY'S WELL.—Mr. D. F. Leahy, has been in correspondence with the Post Master General and, as a result, a branch post-office is to be established at Sunday's Well, with a money order office and savings' bank. This will be a great convenience to a large and populous district.

THE RECENT QUARREL BETWEEN FIREMEN.—The fireman Sullivan, who was lately injured in the affray with a brother fireman, is, we are glad to hear, rapidly getting better, and the medical authorities at the North Infirmary expect he will be completely out of danger in a day or so.

THE KYRL STREET GAS ACCIDENT.—Mrs. Butler, the survivor of the above accident, is improving rapidly, and there is every reason to believe that the attention she is receiving at the North Infirmary will restore her to complete health in a short time.

ATTEMPTED SUICIDE.—A young woman named Mary Anne Conroy was last night taken out of the river, near North Gate Bridge, in a very exhausted condition. She was conveyed to the North Infirmary, where she speedily revived under the treatment of the staff of the establishment. It appears that the girl threw herself into the river on account of a quarrel she had with her brother, who it seemed, beat her, and in desperation she threw herself into the river.

A YOUTHFUL DRUNKARD.—On Thursday evening a young boy, aged between fifteen and sixteen, was conveyed to the North Infirmary suffering from the effects of excessive indulgence in alcoholic drink. So bad was his condition that the infirmary officials for a time feared serious results, but thanks to the treatment he received the youngster soon recovered from the effects of his spree.

CHRISTMAS DAY IN THE CLONMEL WORKHOUSE.—The inmates of this institution were regaled on Christmas Day with a good breakfast of bread, butter and tea (after an early Mass which was celebrated by the Rev. W. Maher, C.C., who delivered a short but most appropriate exhortation, concluding by wishing all present a happy Christmas and a merry New Year, which was heartily reciprocated by those present) and to a dinner of a most substantial character, consisting of Irish pork with abundance of vegetables generously ordered by the guardians for the occasion. The dining hall was really beautiful, presenting quite a romantic appearance, from the profusion of laurel, ivy, and evergreens with appropriate mottoes, some in our own expressive vernacular, designed by an artist of undoubted ability, who was forced by circumstances to enter the workhouse. The officers were most assiduous in their attentions to cater for the comfort of the poor inmates who were loud in their praise of the staff at their efforts thus made to render the great festival as enjoyable as existing circumstances would permit. The rev. chaplains of the establishment visited during the day and pronounced everything provided for the inmates excellent. I can't refrain from mentioning an incident in connection with the above event which is worthy of record, viz., the presence of the Supplement¹ of your sound and unswerving organ amongst the inmates, the reading of which by an intelligent youth afforded real amusement to the poor people, who very rarely or never enjoy an intellectual treat of such a high order, the subjects were well selected, and quite within the compass of the most obtuse intellect.—Communicated.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 30 December 1878
THE British barque Ibis, bound from Benin, on the West Coast of Africa, to this port for orders, arrived in the harbour on Saturday with a prize crew on board. She was fallen in with by the barque Mary Cook, of Montrose, Captain Orkney, bound to the Channel for orders, from Monte Video, on Dec. 17th, in lat. 46.38 North, and 14.21 West, abandoned, which vessel put a prize crew on board. Mr. Gore, the chief mate of the Mary Cook, who came in charge of the Ibis, states that about noon on the date and position named they observed a brigantine [sic] on their port bow, and from her movements they anticipated that all was not right with the vessel. They bore down on her, launched a boat and boarded her, when they found she was abandoned, and all her sails blown to pieces, but otherwise the vessel appeared intact. They discovered by the name on the stern that she was called the Ibis, of Liverpool, and was laden with palm oil. Mr. Gore, by whom she was boarded, returned to his vessel and reported the position of affairs to the master, Captain Orkney, at the same time expressing his willingness to take charged of the derelict, if any of the crew would volunteer to accompany him, and endeavour to bring her on to Queenstown. After a consultation, Captain Orkney decided to let him go, and three of the crew having volunteered to risk the danger with him, they bravely undertook the task. Having temporarily repaired the sails, which were in a wretched condition, with the ship's awnings, which they found on board, they steered for this port, where they arrived safely on Saturday. Their own ship also arrived at Falmouth, all well, last week, and the former crew of the Ibis were landed at Gravesend some days since by the Norwegian barque Alert, which took them off some days previous to the date of her being fallen in with by the Mary Cook.

   DEAR SIR,—I am happy to be able to acquaint you that my letter relative to providing a soup kitchen for the poor, which appeared in your columns this morning, has met with a very ready response. I have already got eight subscribers at £5 each, and hope to have a few more by Monday, and to have the necessary means and be in full working order in a few days. A list of subscribers and committee will be published in due course, and it would greatly facilitate matters if parties intending to contribute would kindly send in their names without delay. —Faithfully yours,
BARRY J. SHEEHAN,            
   88, Patrick-street, 28th Dec., 1878.

   Preaching at Ecclesta yesterday the Bishop of Manchester, referring to the prevalent distress, said, that nations as well as individuals had to suffer for their sins. We were now passing through a severe discipline, which properly affected all classes, for all classes needed it. Instead of doing what was right and acting upon principles that would restore confidence, men merely muttered prayers, forgetting that the prayers of the wicked are an abomination. Intemperance, dishonesty, falsehood, luxury, and licentiousness were the causes of decline and ruin of nations, and might be of ours.

   The relief fund for the distressed working people at Sheffield now amounts to nearly £7,000. Amongst the sums received by the Mayor on Saturday was one of £25 from Florence Nightingale, who sent also the following letter :—
“London, Christmas Day.    
   “SIR,—Grieved to the very heart for the sufferings of Sheffield, my dear, and if not native place, yet a place where my father's father and mother lived and died, may I send you a poor little sum of £25, wishing it were twenty times as much, and hoping to be allowed to repeat it for your relief fund. Might I ask that it should be applied to providing work for the poor mothers' work which, I know has been well organised ; and if I might breathe a hope, as earnest as that which trusts that Sheffield will be tided over these sad, sad times, it would be that her men might learn from these a lesson of prudence and manly self-control, and when good times come again, as pray God they may, they will use their higher wages so as to become capital instead of waste. Though this is a dreary Christmas, that God may shower his best Christmas blessings upon Sheffield, among which are thrift and self-help, and upon your wise and vigorous efforts to help her is the earnest prayer of your and her ever faithful servant,

SUDDEN DEATH IN THE CITY.—Mrs. Margaret Rahilly, aged fifty years, residing in Water lane, died suddenly at one o'clock on Saturday. She did not complain of any illness in the morning, but after dinner she got a fit, and before medical aid could be summoned, expired.

NORTH INFIRMARY.—The woman, Butler, the surviving sufferer from the recent melancholy accident in Kyrl-street, is progressing favourably. A young man named Fitzpatrick, stated to be a hair-dresser, was admitted to the Infirmary yesterday, and treated for a very bad cut on the head. On Christmas Day, Fitzpatrick went to a lodging-house in Curtis's-lane, where he remained till yesterday, when he was too ill to leave his bed. The wound was bleeding, and the proprietor of the lodging-house having informed the police of the fact they removed the unfortunate man to the infirmary. It appears he has not been very temperate for some time past, and on Christmas eve he had a fight with another man. It is surmised that in the struggle Fitzpatrick fell and cut his head.

THE BRIDEWELL.—There were about thirty persons in the bridewell last night. The charge in the majority of the cases being drunkenness. One old woman was charged with stealing porter from a publick house in Duncan- street.

OUTWARD MAILS.—The Cunard Royal Mail steamer Batavia arrived in the harbour yesterday from Liverpool. Having embarked at Liverpool 236 bags of mails, and 147 at Queenstown, she proceeded for New York, all well. Among the passengers who embarked at Queenstown were the Hon. Mrs. Paget and attendants.

THE PRINCESS ROYAL DISASTER.—It was rumoured at Queenstown yesterday that the body of one of the crew of the Princess Royal had been washed ashore at Fort Carlisle yesterday morning. The vessel is now completely broken up.

POACHING ON THE OUBEG.—Five men were summoned to the Castletownroche Petty Sessions, on Thursday, at the suit of the Blackwater Fishery Conservators, for illegally taking salmon on the Oubeg, a tributary of the Blackwater, by gaffing in the shallows. Mr. Slattery, solr., Lismore, represented the Conservators, and the defendants were also professionally assisted. Evidence was produced to show that some of the defendants used the gaff, amongst whom was a sexagenarian named Higgins, whilst the others watched and aided. The poachers were all residents of Castletownroche, and the breech of the Conservancy laws was committed within view of the old feudal stronghold. The adjudicating magistrates, Messrs. R. Eaton, R.M., and G. Byrne, considered the charge fully proved against the accused, and imposed the minimum penalty of £20, or £4 each, with costs, remarking that £10 each would be the maximum penalty. Mr. Slattery observed that it remained for the defendants to memorial the Conservators for a reduction of the fines.—Fermoy Correspondent

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Friday    
   The Chamber of Commerce of this city has requested the Dominion Board of Trade to urge the United States Government to repeal the duty on lobster cans, claiming that this imposition is an infringement of the stipulations of the Treaty of Washington.
   MURDER OF THREE CONSTABLES.—The last Australian mail brings intelligence of the murder of three Irish police- constables, named Scanlan, Lanigan, and Fitzgerald, by bushrangers. As the deceased and a companion, named M'Intyre, were on a journey undertaken for the capture of a notorious ruffian named Kelly they were met by a party of four men (of whom Kelly and his brother are supposed to have been members) who called on them to surrender. As the policemen showed a disposition to fight they were fired on. Scanlan and Lanigan were killed at the first discharge, M'Intyre, who was unarmed, fled on horseback and escaped, and Fitzgerald, who might have saved himself in the same way, stood his ground, maintaining a desperate fight, but was ultimately overcome and killed. The murderers had not been captured when the mail left.

YACHTING.—The s.s. Yacht “Lady Eliza,” the property of Lord Midleton, put into the harbour for coal. She is bound for the Mediterranean and will sail hence when the weather moderates.

   An inquest was held at South Hill Park, Bracknell, on Saturday, on the remains of Sir William Goodenough Hayter, late Conservative Whip, who was found drowned in a lake on his estate. James Dougal, land steward, stated he received a message on Thursday from Lady Hayter, announcing that the deceased was missing, and immediately instituted a search for him, and after about two hours they discovered him lying, face downwards, in a shallow part of the lake near the house. The last time witness saw Sir William alive was at nine o'clock that morning, when on being asked how he was, he replied very poorly, indeed, and then pressing his hands to his head, said, “I feel I shall go distracted.” Dr. Orange, medical superintendent of Broadmoor asylum, said he had known deceased for the last fifteen years. Up to a short time since he was able to take part in public duties. When cold weather commenced the vital energy of deceased failed, and his spirits were depressed ; he also suffered from headache and giddiness ; he last saw deceased alive on the 22nd inst., and he then spoke on general topics, but complained about his head and want of spirits. He viewed the body of deceased soon after its recovery on Thursday, and had no doubt but that death was due to drowning. In reply to Lord Arthur Hill, foreman of the jury, witness said deceased might have fallen into the water during a giddy fit. The jury returned a verdict of found drowned, appending a rider that there was insufficient evidence to show how deceased got into the position in which he was found.

   GENERAL GRANT.—General U. S. Grant, the ex-President of the United States, proposes, we are informed, to visit Ireland. The General, who is now in Paris, hopes to arrive in London on the 2nd of January, and leave for Dublin the succeeding morning. It is thought that he will be accompanied by General Noyes, the American Minister to France, and Mr. Walsh, the American Minister to Great Britain. The General will visit Dublin, Belfast, Londonderry, Cork, and the principal points in Ireland. On his return he will embark from Villefranche for India on board the American man-of-war Richmond. President Hayes has placed the Richmond, the flagship of the United States Pacific Squadron, at the disposal of General Grant. The Richmond will fly the pennant of Rear-Admiral Patterson, and is now on her way from the United States to Villefranche to meet General Grant. After visiting India the ex-President proposes visiting Java, China, Japan, and possibly Australia and New Zealand. He hopes to return to the United States by the way of San Francisco some time during the ensuing summer. It was the intention of General Grant to have embarked for the United States from Queenstown, and to have made the Irish trip to conclusion of his visit to Europe. The offer of the Richmond for the trip to India, however, has led to a change in General Grant's plans, and he will visit Ireland next week.

   A master-printer, of Bristol, named Thomas Jenkins, met with a frightful death at the Montpelier station of the Clifton Extension Railway. On Saturday night he had walked in from the country to see a friend off by the nine o'clock train, and followed the common but dangerous practice of shaking hands as the train moved out of the station. He was caught by one of the carriages, knocked down, and rolling on to the metals was so dreadfully injured that death was instantaneous. He was a married man with a family.

   On Saturday, George Hargreave, a Liverpool merchant, was committed to the assizes on a charge of forging a bill of acceptance for one thousand pounds. The prisoner, who is eighty years of age, was admitted to bail, the amount of which was two thousand pounds.

   ELECTRICITY AS A MOTIVE POWER.—In the course of a lecture on electricity delivered by Mr. Gerard Finch, M.A., in connexion with the Wigan Mining and Mechanical School last week, a novel illustration was given of electricity performing mechanical work. A saw bench was placed on a platform connected with a Siemens's dynamic-electric machine, which in its turn was connected by wires with the machine outside the hall used for producing the electric light during the lecture. On the electricity being communicated the saw was set in motion, and timber up to 5in. in thickness was cut into strips. Lord Lindsay, M.P., F.R.S., and President of the Royal Astronomical Society, was in the chair, and among the audience was a large number of the leading colliery proprietors of the district. The latter, our Wigan correspondent states, are inclined to test the practicability of working coal cutting machines and other underground machinery by electricity. At present compressed air is the only power that can be used for driving these machines without interfering with the ventilation of the workings. Electricity is said to produce equal effect at considerably less cost. It can also be conducted cheaply and easily to any part of the mine by means of wires.

   CINDERELLA'S SLIPPER.—It is curious to learn that the “glass slipper” in Cinderella, of which from our youth upwards we never questioned the authenticity, though well aware that no one who was not a protegee of fairies would think of dancing in such an article, was not part of the original story, but has been due to a misunderstanding of a word used in the French version of the tale. The slipper, we have been told by a writer in the Sunday Times, supported by “Littre's Dictionary,” was originally a slipper trimmed with a particular kind of rare fur, called in French, vair,—the fur of a creature of the weasel kind. But this fur not being known to ordinary French story-tellers, they spoke of a pantioufie de verre—a glass slipper,—by a sort of unconscious pun. Certainly the new reading is far more creditable to the sagacity of Cinderella's godmother, as a purveyor of comfortable clothes ; for whatever magic power the glass slippers might have had of surviving a dance, it is impossible that they would have been comfortable to the feet, and must have resulted in all probability in serious corns.

ALL Persons indebted to Doctor Phillip Barry, of Mallow, are requested to pay National Bank, Mallow.
   Dated December 27, 1878.

AN Unmarried Man, who has had much experience in caring Milch Cows, and in the rearing and feeding of calves and pigs, wants a Situation where his services may be required. Advertiser can himself milk Cows, and is a first-class Butter Maker. Address to
                  Ballybunion Post Office,
                           County Kerry.
Submitted by dja
1— The Saturday editions of The Cork Examiner included a 2-page Supplement, comprised mostly of short stories and poems. Longer fictional works were sometimes published in weekly chapters.

Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.