The Cork Examiner, 3 August 1878
London, Friday Night.    
   A slight fire occurred last night at Lambeth Palace. It is said to have arisen through the fact that eleven American bishops, at present the guest[s] of the Archbishop of Canterbury, are, without exception, in the habit of smoking in bed.

SKIBBEREEN, THURSDAY.—The annual excursion for the Skibbereen workhouse children, originated by their worthy medical officer, Dr. Daniel Donovan, came off on Tuesday last. The place chosen this year was Baltimore and Sherkin, in order to have the pleasure of meeting their late chaplain (Rev. Morgan Sheehy, C.C., Sherkin). They were accompanied, as usual by the Chaplain, Rev. D. O'Brien, Dr. Donovan, their active, painstaking master, Mr. Samuel Jervois, the schoolmaster and mistress. A talented musician accompanied them to Baltimore and from thence to Sherkin Island to Father Sheehy's, where the juveniles enjoyed themselves on the green opposite his residence, dancing and singing, and subsequently partook of the good things provided for them and heartily enjoyed themselves. They concluded by cheering for Fathers Sheehy, O'Brien, and their charitably disposed benefactor Dr. Donovan, as well as for their painstaking master. In passing through Skibbereen and Baltimore the appearance, cleanliness and ruddy look of the children were the admiration of all. And their great change is entirely due to the care, attention and discipline exercised by the good Sisters of Mercy, whose entire care they are under in the schools and hospitals, and it is no wonder the guardians so often congratulate themselves on effecting this change, so much to the advantage of the ratepayers' pockets and the care of the poor children. The public were indeed pleased and delighted with their appearance on Tuesday last.—Correspondent.
London, Friday Night.    
   In the Court of Exchequer to-day, Colonel Dawkins conducted personally his own action for libel against the Army and Navy Gazette. The plaintiff's case was not fully stated at the adjournment. The damages were laid at £10,000.

QUEENSTOWN PETTY SESSIONS.—At these Sessions, yesterday, before Messrs. A. Bremner, Chairman, W. Beamish, J. W. E. Gumbleton, Captain W. D. Seymour, and W. R. Starkie, R.M., a girl named Eliza Cotter, residing in Queen-street, was sent to the Asylum as a dangerous lunatic. The other business was unimportant.

A CHILD RUN OVER.—Yesterday, a little boy named Mehgan, was accidentally run over by an outside car, which was passing through King-street. The boy was at once taken to the North Infirmary, where it was found that his injuries were of a very trifling nature.

ACCIDENT.—A man named Daniel Cronin, who resides at Watergrasshill, was, yesterday, driving two cows into the city, when a serious accident occurred to him. He had tied the two cows together with a chain, in order that they might not run away in different directions. One of the cows commenced to drag the other. Cronin went to the assistance of the dragged cow, and she crushed him against a wall and broke one of his legs. He is progressing favourably.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 14 August 1878
THE magistrates on the bench at these sessions were Messrs. Thomas P. Stamers, Major Wm. Howe, and W. R. Starkie, R.M.
   Constable M'Tigh, summoned Patrick Ahern, publican, for a breach of the above. The constable deposed that on Sunday last at about half-past ten o'clock he was on patrol, and standing near the house of Mrs. Mulcahy, saw a woman go to defendant's house and knock. In answer to whatever was said to her she said she wanted a candle. Witness saw her then go to a little shop near at hand ; after some time the door of the shop was opened, and the woman returned to defendant's house. On again coming out with a jar in her hand witness accosted her and asked what she had in the jar ; she replied it was porter; that was about half-past ten o'clock.
   In reply to Mr. Starkie, witness said the hour for closing public houses on Sunday evening is seven o'clock. Witness continued—He then went to defendant's house and asked him why he had given the woman drink at prohibited hours ; defendant replied that it was for a sick woman, and he had a right to do so.
   On the bench asking the defendant what defence he had to make to this charge he said he admitted having given this woman drink, but he had not sold it to her ; he knew it was for a sick woman ; he gave her a quart of porter.
   Mary Fitzpatrick deposed that she had got the porter from defendant ; it was for her sister, who had been anointed.¹
   Mr. Stamers—She can't be so bad when she is able to drink a quart of porter (laughter).
   Witness—I have to feed her with a spoon, your worships.
   The Bench were of the opinion that the defendant had no right to open his house after hours, even to give drink gratis to a poor woman, he could very easily have gone to the police and stated his case ; still, as it was the first time a case of this kind had occurred, and as it had been sworn that no money was paid, they would dismiss the case, but would caution the defendant. The considered that Constable M'Tigh had acted rightly in bringing forward the case.
   The case was accordingly dismissed.
   After hearing a few cases, which were of importance [sic], the court adjourned.
THE presiding magistrates at these sessions to-day were—Mr. N. W. Ware (chairman), Lieutenant-Colonel Williamson, Captain Coote, R.M., and Mr. G. Gallagher.
   Sub-constable M'Cormack charged a publican named James Boland, Main Street, for having on the night of the 7th inst., refused him admission to his licensed premises. The sub-constable deposed that on the night in question his attention was attracted to Boland's house by light, and heard voices there. He heard parties inside as if they were drawing porter ; he knocked at the door, and was refused admission ; he was knocking at the door from twelve o'clock to twenty minutes to one in the morning ; when he knocked at first the talk was discontinued.
   Captain Coote—This is one of the worst cases I ever heard.
   Sub-constable M'Cormack—There were several parties upstairs who were apparently drunk.
   Captain Coote said this was not the first offence which had been brought against this house.
   James Boland, the defendant, deposed that on the night of the 7th inst. there were no persons in his house but lodgers. He did not know that the police were at his door.
   Margaret Boland, the wife of the defendant, deposed that she heard knocking at the door, but she did not know that it was the police who were at the door.
   He was fined £3 and costs, the conviction to be recorded on the license.
   Miss Hannah Connell, publican, an old offender under the Licensing Act, was charged for having given drink to a woman who had been “under the influence” at the time.
   The charge against the defendant, who did not appear, was proved by Sub-constable Wallace, who stated that her house was very badly conducted.
   She was fined £1 and costs, the conviction to be recorded on the license.
   Sub-constable Champ charged a farmer from Glounthane, named Jeremiah Callaghan, with having been drunk and disorderly. He was fined 10s. 6d. and costs, in default fourteen days' imprisonment.
   The court was for a considerable time hearing cases of petty assaults and abusive language.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 17 August 1878
(Before Messrs. [sic] A. M'OSTRICH.)
CATHERINE CUNNINGHAM was sent to gaol for one month with hard labour for having committed a grievous assault upon Robert Burleigh, by striking him with a hammer on the temple.
   Two men, named John Collins and John Murphy were put forward by Head-constable Shea, who said that they had come to the bridewell on Thursday night saying that they had applied to the Workhouse for admission as they were starving and weary, having walked from Conna, and they were refused admission. Head-constable Shea said that he had given them a night's lodging and their supper and breakfast. Mr. M'Ostrich thought it was very hard that these poor men should have been treated in this way at the Workhouse. As there was no charge against them they were discharged.
   Head-constable Shea put forward two ill-looking characters, named Cornelius Connell and Daniel Neill, on a charge of being rogues and vagabonds, and having no visible means of sustenence. Head-constable Shea said that he arrested the prisoners on Thursday night, where they were prowling about looking for some drunken man to rob, or to extort money from unfortunate women—their usual line of business. Connell had been up nearly 200 times for every offence on the calendar except murder, and was a most dangerous man in the streets at night. Neill was not quite as bad, but had been up before on a charge of this kind and cautioned.
   Constable Curran said that he had seen Connell at all hours of the night roaming about the streets, and had frequently cautioned him, but without success.
   The Bench ordered each of them to find bail in £5 for their good behaviour, or Connell to go to gaol for two months and Neill for one month.
   Private Warner, of the 18th Regiment, was charged with having gone into Mr. Healy's tobacco shop in King street, and run away with an ounce of tobacco, refusing to pay for it. Mr. Healy followed him and gave him in charge to Head-constable Cantilion. The prisoner pleaded guilty. An officer of the regiment said that he had been eight months in the army and had been imprisoned six times. He was a very hopeless character, and they would be very glad to get rid of him. There was another charge hanging over him of having stolen some money from the person in whose employment he had [been] before he joined the regiment. The prisoner was sent to gaol for fourteen days.
   A little boy named Walsh, was put forward charged with stealing fruit out of Mr. Fitzgibbon's garden, Sydney House. The gardener, John Hart, said he had caught the delinquent in the act with his pockets full of apples.
   Head-constable Shea said that as young as the prisoner was, he was the head of a gang of thieves. There never was a fitter subject for an industrial school. His step-mother, Catherine Walsh, said she had reared him, and could not get any good out of him. He was only eleven years old.
   The prisoner was sent to gaol for a fortnight, and after that to be sent to a reformatory for five years.
   Mr. F. Mullen said he had seen something in the papers about the attendance of magistrates at the Police Court, and he thought that if the magistrates for the week were unable to attend they should endeavour to get substitutes. He and Mr. M'Ostrich were both attending this week voluntarily, as it was not their week of duty at all, and he thought it unfair that a general charge should be made against all the magistrates.
   Mr. M'Ostrich thought they had very little to complain of in this court of the attendance of magistrates. Of the three whose duty it was to act this week, two of them were unavoidably unable to attend, and he supposed the third had some good reason for not coming also.
   Mr. A. Blake said that Mr. M'Ostrich was always most regular in his attendance, and Mr. Mullen appeared to be the [hack?] magistrate of the city, as he was always sent for and was always forthcoming. A client of his (Mr. Blake's) had been attending the court for five days' back, for the purpose of having a summons under the Master and Servant Act disposed of, and this had put him to very great loss. He (Mr. Blake) thought that if a magistrates [sic] was unable to attend during his week of office he should send some word to Mr. Humphreys, who could arrange to get a substitute.
   Mr. Mullen said there were about twelve magistrates out of the 48 in the city who never attended, and he did not know why they were kept on the list at all.
   The matter was then dropped, and the court adjourned.

ADDRESS AND TESTIMONIAL.—As will be seen by our advertising columns of to-day, Mr. John C. Palmer, late manager Messrs. Cash & Company, Limited, Cork, was presented by the staff of the above with an address and testimonial. The address was presented at his residence, Clapham, London. The following gentlemen attended as a deputation—Mr. D. Sheehan, Mr. T. Hennessy, and Mr. O'Brien.
ARREST AT QUEENSTOWN.—Detective Constable Humphreys arrested, on board the Inman steamer City of Richmond, on her arrival in the harbour yesterday from Liverpool, a Jew named Ambrose Rubens, on a descriptive telegram which was received by the police authorities at Leeds, from which place he was absconding—the nature of his offence is not known. The arrest was made on a warrant issued at Leeds for his apprehension, which place he had only left on Thursday morning.

London, Friday Night.    
   A meeting of the Irish Political Prisoners Committee was held last night, at which it was stated that the Government determined on the release, towards the end of the present year, of Mr. [Thomas] Ahearn, one of the Fenian prisoners at present undergoing sentence of penal servitude at Dartmoor. The committee possess information respecting the intention of the Government to release the remaining prisoners at the end of the present year or early next year, an arrangement first made known to the public by the Cork Examiner.

QUEENSTOWN PETTY SESSIONS.—At those sessions, held yesterday, before Messrs. W. E. Gumbleton (chairman), J. N. Beamish, W. D. Seymour, and W. R. Starkie, R.M. Messrs. Terry & Company were prosecuted at the instance of the Queenstown Town Commissioners, for having placed a quantity of timber on the pathway near the approach to the Admiralty Pier, for the purpose of disposing of same by auction on that day (Thursday), at one o'clock. Mr. Michael Terry represented the firm. Constable Haren proved the obstruction. The defendants were fined 5s. and costs.
   A labourer named Michael Shea appeared in the dock with his face and nose all cuts and bruises, inflicted on him in various fights during the Queenstown regatta of Thursday. He was charged with fighting and eating the lower lip off a man named Michael Ahern, about six o'clock on the hill on Thursday evening. The wound, described by Dr. E. T. Bricknell, is about one inch long and one inch wide, which he had to stitch and draw together with sticking plaster. The portion of the lip was produced in court by a young man named Forrest, and, no doubt, he would have been choked only for his timely interference. The following information in the case was sworn by Mr. Martin Forrest, of Queenstown, victualler —On the 15th inst., at Queenstown, Michael Ahern passed along by Clifton Place, and Michael Shea challenged Michael Ahern to fight and sparred opposite him. Jeremiah Murphy, who was present, told Shea to strike Ahern. Shea then struck Ahern on the side of the head with his fist, and after which Shea clung in Ahern and knocked him down, and lay on him, pulled his hair and squeezed his throat. While Shea was lying on Ahern he (Shea) repeatedly bit Ahern's lip. To prevent Shea from chewing the lip off Ahern, he caught Shea round the throat, when he let Ahern go and got up, Shea spat a portion of Ahern's lip out of his mouth, I picked the part of the lip up, and have it in court, now. Both Shea and Ahern had drink taken. In my presence Ahern did or said nothing to provoke Shea. A man-of-war sailor named Edward Driscoll corroborated the evidence of Forrest. Their worships, after stigmatizing in strong terms, the brutality of the cannibal, remanded him until Ahern, who is in a very precarious state, recovers. Later in the day Mr. Starkie, R.M., visited the house of Ahern, and took his deposition.—Adjourned.

The Boys Home, Marble Hill      
Cork, 15th August, 1878    
   SIR,—As one of the managers of the Boys' Home, I cannot allow your statements respecting Charles O'Brien to go before the public uncontradicted.
   1st—You state that he was a Roman Catholic when admitted to our school.
   Now, facts and certificates prove that he was baptised a Protestant, brought up as a Protestant all his life, sent to St. Finn Barre's Church School, and was a member of the Cathedral Choir before being admitted to our school. 2nd—You represent that the mother was always a Roman Catholic.
   Now what is the truth? She was a Protestant all her life, and was married to Holland, who was a Roman Catholic at St. Finn Barre's Cathedral, some four years ago, as the parish register shows.
   I regret as much as you do any rivalry between Protestant and Roman Catholic, and rejoice in the good done by each, but so far from the managers of this school having provoked such a spirit, they only did their duty in receiving a child, all his life a Protestant, from a mother all her life to that time of the same creed. In case you wish to see the certificates alluded to above, I will be very happy to send copies. Is it not a pity that you do not make yourself cognizant of the true state of the case, before writing an article which is calculated to mislead your readers?—I am sir,
         Your obedient servant,
EDWIN HALL, Acting Manager.    
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 20 August 1878
QUEENSTOWN PETTY SESSIONS.—At those sessions held yesterday—before Messrs. W. D. Seymour, chairman ; Charles Garfit, Alexander Bremner, and W. R. Starkie, R.M. on the invitation of the bench, Mr. Wm. Inman, of Liverpool occupied a chair. Abraham Renens, of Leeds, for absconding, was put forward by Detective Humphreys, and he was remanded for escort. Michael Shea, whose case was adjourned from last court day for biting the lip off one Mr. Ahern, was put forward and again remanded, the injured man not being well enough to prosecute. Mary Keogh was sent to gaol for fourteen days for an assault [on] Hannah Sybil, at the prosecution of Constable Foley, in addition to the fourteen days in each case, she was sentenced to for being drunk. Michael Desmond was sent to gaol for fourteen days for being drunk, and Catherine Dargan fourteen days for disorderly and drunken conduct.

INQUEST.—Yesterday Coroner Blake held an inquest on the body of a man named Maurice Lynch, who died suddenly on the previous day. From the evidence it appeared that the deceased lived for some time back in Great Britain-street, and on the day alluded to he ate his dinner, and then suggested to a friend that they should go for a walk. They were about to leave the house when Lynch complained of being unwell, and before assistance could be rendered he fell back and died immediately. The medical evidence proved that the deceased died of disease of the heart, and the jury returned a verdict to that effect.
SUPPOSED LARCENY OF PICTURES.—On Sunday last five oil paintings, having costly gilt frames, were discovered in a field near Cove. After Mass, on Sunday, Mr. Timothy Brien (the owner of the field referred to) while walking through his grounds saw two soldiers belonging to the 16th regiment of infantry going from a cock of hay that was in the field. He came up to the soldiers and told them they had no right to be trespassing on his grounds. They said they were doing no harm, and then left the field. While Mr. O'Brien was talking to Mr. O'Sullivan of Cove, who happened to be in the adjoining field, he saw the soldiers coming back making in the direction of the hay. When they saw him, they retraced their steps. He then noticed some of the hay knocked down on the ground. He went to settle it up, and while doing so discovered the above articles. Information was sent to the police, and they have the goods now in their possession pending inquiries. The pictures are supposed to belong to Mrs. Cramer, of Belgooly, who owns a furnished home in Cove. The house is unoccupied for some time past, and it is thought that some person effected an entrance by the back-door, as Mr. Brien saw the back gate open on Sunday. Some of the pictures have since been recognised. —Kinsale Correspondent.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 22 August 1878
QUEENSTOWN PETTY SESSIONS.—At these sessions held yesterday, before Messrs W. E. Gumbleton, chairman, J. N. Beamish, and W. R. Starkie, R.M. Michael Shea was again brought up for biting the lip off Michael Ahern, but was again remanded, as the injured man was too unwell to appear. Mary Driscoll sued Joseph Williams for wages due to her. A decree for the amount claimed, viz., 6s 8d was given. The other cases at the court were ordinary police prosecutions against persons for drunkenness.

   POLICE OFFICE.—The presiding magistrates yesterday were—Messrs. J. Daly and Felix Mullan. An old offender named Mary Clancy was fined 10s. and costs for having been drunk. Constable Carey charged a man named Fitzgerald with having assaulted his mother. She stated that on Friday night last the prisoner demanded money from her. She gave him all the money she had —£1 4s, on receiving which he caught her by the arm and nearly broke it. He also caught her by the throat and threatened to knock out her brains. Head- constable Shea said the prisoner was a discharged soldier, and was a very bad character. He was sentenced to three months' imprisonment with hard labour, and at the expiration of the sentence he was ordered to find bail for his future good conduct, himself in £10 and two sureties of £5 each. Jerome Looney was charged with having stolen a gold ring from Mary Quirke. The complainant stated that on the previous night she wanted to sell a ring, and she went into Mr. Dilworth's public house to find a purchaser. She saw the accused and another man at the counter, and offered it to them for sale. Prisoner told her he was a jeweller, and took the ring from her. She went to the door for a few minutes, and on returning Looney told her that he had dropped the ring, but on search being made it could not be found. Daniel Collins gave corroborative evidence. Prisoner got a very good character from Mr. Dilworth, and he was sent for trial before the Recorder. Two little children named Margaret and Anne Callaghan were admitted to the Clonakilty Industrial School on the application of Constable Clark, who proved that they were utterly destitute. Acting-constable Johnson summoned David Gallagher for being drunk on the licensed premises of Hannah O'Leary, Patrick's-quay, at half-past 11 o'clock on Monday night. Acting-constable Johnson stated that on entering the premises at the hour mentioned in the summons he found the defendant drunk. Miss O'Leary told him that the man was a lodger. Mr. T. Scannell, who appeared for the defence, submitted that as the man was a lodger the police had no right to summon him. Miss O'Leary was examined and proved that the defendant was a lodger, and had no drink in her house on the night in question, except some milk. The magistrates dismissed the case. —Adjourned.

THERE will be no military band on the promenade of the Royal Cork Yacht Club on Thursday, the 22nd, as there is an “At Home” on board H.M.S. Revenge, to which the members of the Club are invited.
YESTERDAY Cork was the scene of a most determined suicide. From the information we could glean it would appear that John Carroll, the proprietor of Church Bay Hotel, at Crosshaven, left his home on Monday, after getting some money from his wife. It would appear that he commenced to drink heavily on reaching Cork, and frequented a number of public houses in the vicinity of the Military Barracks. Being anxious for his safety, his wife came up to town yesterday, and hearing of his whereabouts, she proceeded to the Barracks and saw him leaving one of the public houses by a back entrance. She then lost sight of him until to-day, when she met him in Pine-street, about half-past twelve o'clock, and at the time she saw him he was engaged in flinging away a bottle, the contents of which he had evidently partaken of. She saw him stagger and fall, and she immediately had her husband placed on a cart that was passing and conveyed him to the North Infirmary. Here he was immediately treated by Dr. Corby and his assistants, but notwithstanding that every means known were resorted to, they failed to check the effects of the dreadful poison. He lingered in an unconscious condition for about an hour, when he died. Deceased was about forty years of age, and was a pensioner from the army in which he had been a master-tailor. He leaves a wife and four children. The bottle was picked up and found to contain a solid white substance, supposed to be cyanide of potassium, a most deadly poison, whose effects resemble those of prussic acid, and whose action is rapid and deadly. Drs. Popham and Finn appeared shortly after the man was brought into the infirmary, but he was beyond medical aid at the time. Twenty-five shillings and a pawn ticket for a gold watch were found in the pockets of the unfortunate man. The poison he swallowed was used for the purpose of brightening the gilt embroidery of officer's jackets, and it is supposed that he obtained it by representing himself as a master-tailor in the army. There was no label on the bottle, but it is in the hands of the police, who intend to ascertain, if possible, where the deceased procured it. An inquest will be held to-day.

NEW ORGAN IN CLONAKILTY CONVENT.—An organ, erected by Brycason Brothers and Ellis, of London, builders of the organ in SS. Peter and Paul's, was formally opened on Tuesday, 20th inst., by Mr. T. J. Sullivan, St. Mary's, Cork, who designed it. There was a profession of three nuns on the same day. His lordship the Right Rev. Dr. Fitzgerald, of Ross, officiating. The organ consists of 2 rows of keys, 14 stops, 2½ octaves of pedals (Bourdon through), and 4 composition pedals. The action is reversed, the player facing the altar.
Submitted by dja
1— In the sacrament of Extreme Unction, the priest anoints the body of a dying person with holy oils.

Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.