The Cork Examiner, 6 April 1865
   MADRID, APRIL 5TH.—The Madrid papers publish news from Lisbon stating that the Portuguese Government have complied with the demand of the American Minister, by removing the Governor of Fort Belon for firing on the Niagara, after the Federal vessels had signalled that they understood the first summons from the port.
   AN APT EXPLANATION.—As the surgeon was going his rounds, examining the patients, he came to a sergeant of a New York regiment who had been struck by a bullet in the left breast, right over the region of the heart. The doctor surprised at the narrow escape of the man, ejaculated “Why, my man, where, in the name of goodness, could your heart have been?” The poor fellow, with a faint and sickly smile, replied, “I guess it must have been in my mouth just then, doctor.” You will be gratified to learn that he subsequently escaped, and arrived quite safe in our lines. —Editor's Drawer in Harper's New Monthly Magazine.
   On Saturday evening last, a little before nine o'clock, a letter carrier, named William Cross, was suddenly attacked in Allen-street by two men, who attempted to take forcible possession of a bag of letters which he was carrying. Cross defended himself and raised an alarm, and the thieves had to retire unsuccessful.—Sheffield Independent.

   On the 3rd instant, at 33, St. George's-road, London, the wife of the Hon. W. F. Byng, of a daughter.
   On the 2d instant, at 8, Queen-street, Mayfair, London, Lady Naas, of a son.
   On the 5th ult., on board ship Nile, on passage from Calcutta, the wife of Captain R. Wingfield, 53nd [sic] Light Infantry, of a daughter.
   On the 21st ult., at St. Helier's, Jersey, the wife of Frederick Staples, Ceylon Rifle Regiment, of a daughter.
   On the 31st ult., at 74, East Dean, Romsey, the Hon. Mrs. Henry Curson, of a son.
   On April 1st, at Great Charles-street, the wife of the Rev. Richard Frizelle, of a daughter.
   On March 24th, Mrs. Levinge-Smith, the wife of her Britannic Majesty's Consul at Oporto, of a son.
   On March 29th, at Rutland Lodge, Lee Park, the wife of Captain Hector Munro, Royal Artillery, of a son.
   On March 17th, at Esplanade, Quebec, Canada, the wife of Lieutenant Robertson-Ross, of Glenmoidart, Inverness-shire, 25th (King's Own Borderers), of a son.
   On March 29th, at Clecnish Rectory, Enniskillen, the wife of the Rev. Thomas Rudd, of a son.
   On the 31st instant, at Bridge-street, Tralee, the wife of Mr. Thomas Galvin, of a daughter.
   On the 21th [sic] instant, at the Square, Listowel, the wife of J. Abernathy Taylor, Esq., Proprietor of the Medical Hall, of a son.

   On the 5th instant, at his residence, Langford Row, Mr. Edmond Barry, in the 67th year of his age.
   On the 5th instant, at her residence, Glanmire-road, after a long and painful illness, borne with pious resignation, Elizabeth, relict of the late George Kingston, of Fermoy.
   On the 3nd [sic] instant, at O'Donovan's Cove, Maria, the wife of Timothy O'Donovan, Esq.
   By falling from the rigging of the barque “Rosalare,” on her voyage from Cardiff to Alexandria, John, third son of Mr. James Anglin, “Wexford Herald Office,” aged 16 years.
   On the night of the 14th Feb., by the swamping of a boat in Simon's Bay, Albert Edward Hutchinson, Sub-Lieutenant of H.M.S. Tartar, aged 21, second son of Commander Hutchinson, R.N., Plymouth.
   On the 28th ult., south of France, where he resided for the benefit of his health, in the 48th year of his age, the Rev. Joseph H. B. Meredith, fifth son of the late Rice Meredith, Esq., of Rarey Valley, Queen's County.
   On April 1st, at his residence, 6, West Essex-street, Mr. Richard Malvey, deeply regretted by his sorrowing family and a numerous circle of friends.
   At Gothic House, Hamilton-terrace, London, General Mathie, of her Majesty's Indian Service, aged 59 years.
   On March 29th, at Upper Westburn-terrace, Anne, Wife of Major Joseph Robinson, pate 60th Royal Rifles.
   At Geasehill Cottage, Catherine, relict of Charles Cornelius O'Callaghan, Esq., of Drangan Lodge, county Tipperary.
   At the Parade, Kilkenny, Harriet Arabella Poe, widow of the late James Poe, Esq., of the city of Kilkenny, aged 64 years.
   On the 28th March, at Monmouth, in his 41st year, the Rev. Edmond Madden, Catholic Clergyman.
   At Julia Mount, near Wexford, Henry W. Wray, Esq., County Inspector of Constabulary, aged 64 years.
   At his daughter's residence, Wexford, Andrew Whitty, Esq., at the advanced age of 82, sincerely and deservedly regretted.

   The French mail steamer Peluse left Messina yesterday, with mails from India and China.

   We regret to have this evening to record the melancholy end of an old school-fellow of ours, Mr. Thomas O'Connell, eldest son of the late Captain R. O'Connell, of Tralee. Mr. O'Connell, who at one time might have looked forward to a high position, lost himself and retired a few years since to live on a small property he possessed near Killorglin. About a fortnight since he was brought into Killorglin under delirium tremens and left at the house of his friend, Dr. Sugrue. He was given in charge to the dispensary porter, a pensioner, and an experienced old hospital sergeant. Just a little after dusk he demanded to go outside the door, and the man went out with him, when he at once disappeared in the dark. The man went in pursuit, but failed to discover whither he had gone. The alarm was very soon given, and a close active search was set on foot, and kept up until last Friday, a lapse of eight or nine days, when his body was found drowned in a secluded pool close by the river Laune, and almost directly under Dr. Sugrue's house. An inquest was commenced on that day and adjourned until yesterday, when a legal enquiry was held before Mr. John Roche, coroner, assisted by Messrs. Edward Rae, E. M'Gillycuddy Eagar, and M. D. Cruice, R. M., magistrates. Mr. James E. Connor, solicitor, appeared as one of the next of kin. A lengthened enquiry then took place, when the facts above stated were elicited. We have not space for the evidence this evening, but the following is the verdict found by a respectable jury :—“That on the 23rd day of March last past, the deceased, Thomas O'Connell, whilst labouring under a fit of temporary insanity, brought on by delirium tremens, from an excess of drinking ardent spirits, did accidentally fall into a pond of water on the lands of Farrantoreen, which caused suffocation and drowning, from which causes he died.”—Kerry Post.

   We give with pleasure the subjoined translation of a letter written by a French gentleman to le Courier de L'Europe, which appeared in a late number of that journal:—
“Killarney in January.    
   “You say my impression of the “Green Erin” take up more time than my short absence from London allows, but I cannot resist the desire of speaking to you of Killarney and its wonders seen in January in the midst of the snow, which invested the magnificent scenery with peculiar splendour and charm. I arrived Sunday, the 2nd instant, at five o'clock in the evening, after having spent ten hours in a most excellent carriage of the Great Southern and Western Railway, and I should tell you, first, that for comfort, speed, and politeness, this line may vie with the more generally known lines of English and French companies. The large railway hotel at Killarney, opposite the station, has no rival. I found everything united there—good wines, good cooking, good apartments, good attendance, care, forethought, and the kindest courtesy. The hotel is managed by Mr. Goodman (formerly manager of the club, Dublin) ; he has made this establishment the most worthy to be visited by the numerous families and tourists who visit annually these celebrated places. On Monday morning, accompanied by Mr. Goodman, I visited in most magnificent weather the thousand beauties of the lakes, and I doubt that this enchanting place presents more charms in the middle of summer than in a bright January sun, with the accompaniment of the dazzling snow.          A.M.

   The New York correspondent of the Times, writing March 24th, says—The most probable explanation of Mr. Lincoln's visit to Grant is that he has gone to confer with him. the proposition made by Mr. Davis to the effect that Lee and Grant should hold a conference to debate whether peace and reconciliation be not possible at this moment. Some writer says it is understood that the Confederates commanded by Lee in person, will make their first stand at or near Raleigh, and that if unsuccessful in defeating Sherman they will retire on the line of the Roanoke, where reinforcements from Richmond can reach Lee within a few hours.
   LISBON, MARCH 28.—The Confederate ram Stonewall arrived here on Sunday afternoon and cast anchor in front of the Old Packet Stairs. Shortly after the Portuguese authorities went on board and notified Captain Page, her commander, that the vessel could only be allowed to remain in port 24 hours, a period sufficient for coaling purposes. At the same time companies of artillerymen were sent to the Bugio Forts, to St. Julian, and to Belem Tower. The Portuguese war vessels were put in a state of readiness, and swivel guns were sent on board two of them ; the steamers Mindello and Jaques being appointed to see that the law be observed. During Sunday and Monday crowds of people visited the Confederate vessel, all of whom were treated with great courtesy by the officers and crew. The Stonewall is a vessel of 600-horse power, iron-plated, carrying only 3 guns, Armstrongs ; these are of a very heavy calibre, and are called “baby-wakes” by the officers in a spirit of irony. Her crew numbers only 86 men ; at her bows she has a very large ram. The officers of the Stonewall state that she went into Ferrol a few days ago, and found there the Sacramento and Niagara. She was ordered by the Spanish authorities to sail within twenty-four hours, and did so, after having coaled and provisioned. The day after she again went into Ferrol and left again after being twenty-four hours in port, not wishing to compromise the Spanish authorities. She did not again return to Ferrol, but remained outside the bar for 16 hours making signals day and night, but the other vessels did not come out. The Spanish papers also gave this information. It must, however, be taken with reserve. On Monday afternoon, the Niagara and Sacramento, Federal corvettes, were signalled off Lisbon bar, and it is said the Stonewall hoisted her blue Peter about the same time. The two corvettes came up, and cast anchor near the Belem Tower, and were officially warned that they could not sail until 24 hours had elapsed after the leaving of the Stonewall. The Mindello and Jacques [sic] war steamers were appointed to watch the proceedings of the Federal ships, which kept steam up, and did not then ascend the river. The feelings of the Portuguese authorities was a determination to see the law fully observed. On shore much excitement was displayed and the relative merits of the vessels were freely canvassed. Admiral Sartorius, who is now here, is said to have declared that the Stonewall with her iron sides and heavy cupola guns would prove quite a match for the two Federal corvettes in the event of a conflict. The Stonewall sailed about noon this day (Tuesday) leaving the Niagara and Sacramento anchored to the west of Belem Tower, nearly in front of the quay and Jeronimite Convent. Some four hours afterwards the Niagara and Sacramento weighed anchor and moved towards the bar. The commander of Belem Tower, who had received instructions, observing this, called the artillerymen to the guns, and fired a 12 lb. shot at the Niagara which sailed in front. She did not, however, stop, and six more shots were fired from the tower. At the seventh shot the Niagara turned round, came back towards Lisbon, and cast anchor in front of the Old Packet Stairs. The Sacramento followed, and brought up near to her. It appears that three of the seven balls struck the Niagara, somewhat damaging her poop. The Federal Captains allege that they had no intention of following the Stonewall, but were about to turn round and take up their anchorage ground. The Governor of Belem Tower appears to have had orders to act as he did in case such proceedings were taken by the Federal ships, but no instructions given to the commander of the guardship were not the same, because the port is under the War Office, the ships under the Marine Department, and unfortunately circumlocution prevails here as in England. This affair is now affording matter for diplomatic correspondence, but the general feeling is that the Portuguese Government acted with great spirit, and their conduct will be endorsed by the public opinion of Europe.

   The Confederate cruiser Shenandoah is lying off King's Island. Captain Wadbell threatens to report to his Government at Richmond the conduct of the Australian authorities, in refusing to furnish his vessel.

MELBOURNE, FEB. 23.—(By Telegraph from Suez).—The War has commenced in New Zealand. A detachment under Brigadier Wall was nearly routed at Oraeta Roa. The troops were rallied by the exertions of their officers. The British loss was 13 killed and 33 wounded. Mr. Hewitt, a member of the Provincial Council has been murdered and decapitated by the rebels. The rebel leader, William Thompson, is reported to have surrendered to General Carey.

THIS ship was put up for auction by order of the Admiralty Court, this day, at Albert Quay, and after some competition was knocked down to Mr. Michael Fleming, of Youghal, for the low sum of £575. Mr. J. Hoffman conducted the auction.

THE weekly meeting of the Trustees was held to-day, Mr. G. White in the chair. Cheques were passed for the week's expenses amounting to £22 5s. 9d. The Horticultural Society applied, through their secretary, for the use of the market for the next show. The application was granted. The board then adjourned.

   SALMON FISHING.—A shoal of salmon have for the last week been disporting themselves in the Shannon immediately under the weir wall. On Thursday, a splendid fish of 24 lb. weight was taken by a man named Duffy, an expert hand at the rod. Somewhat about thirty fish of from 12 lb. to 20 lb. weight have been hooked during the week. —Westmeath Independent.

   The New York correspondent of the Morning Herald gives an account of these extraordinary personages :—Singular as it may seem, there are two persons in the South who have not been materially affected by the war. For them conscription has no terrors ; politics have no excitement. And yet these seemingly happy mortals are not wholly blest. Gladly would they become humble privates in Lee's battered army, if so they might change their condition. Physically they are united, but morally and socially they are divided. Since their withdrawal from public view, the “Siamese twins,” as they were properly termed, have resided upon their plantation near the town of Salisbury, in North Carolina. In this world's goods they are well to do, and among their “chattels” are several scores of negroes. For many years they have lived in harmony with their wives and their children, their families being periodically increased, until, after a certain lapse of time, each became the happy possessor of five flourishing “olive branches.” Up to this time between the two there had been apparently a perfect community of thought and purpose. But an “event” occurred in the family of Chang, the larger of the two brothers, through which great subsequent trouble arose. A sixth child was added to him, and this “advantage” not only excited intense animosity in the mind of the wife of his brother Eng, but led to a separation between that person and Mrs. Chang, the two women occupying different houses, but remaining on the same plantation. This jealousy had its effect upon Eng, who is the smaller and feebler of the two, and he is now said to look ten years older than his brother. The twins have as little to say to each other as possible ; of course, such a thing as total silence is out of the question. Their fate is certainly deplorable. Regarding each other with feelings of bitterness, they are yet bound together by a tie, any attempt to sever which would almost inevitably result in the death of both. Through the ligature which connects them passes an artery as large as the femoral artery, and it was the opinion of the eminent London surgeons who examined them some years since that any operation tending to free the brothers from this abnormal connection would prove fatal. They are, it will be remembered, wedded to sisters, which renders the estrangement still more unfortunate. Chang and Eng have an ample fortune ; their deposits in various banks in the city are very considerable. In agricultural pursuits they have prospered, despite the war. Taken all in all, matter for a very respectable story hangs about these world- famous twins.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 25 April 1865
Dr. POWER presided.
PRESENT—Messrs. J. Seymour, H. H. O'Bryen, R. O'Sullivan, J. Spellman, J. Fitzgerald, R. O'Donnell, M. Murphy, J. Hickie, E. Farrell, W. Joyce, and P. Regan.
   Referring to the presentments for the improvement of the town, which will be considered at the usual monthly meeting of the Board,
   Mr. O'Bryen said that there would be £612 16s. 6d. for expenditure out of the coming year's rate of 1s. in the pound. A sum of £134 5s. 8d. would have to be expended on the roads, which account did not include the sewerage of the town.
   In reply to Mr. O'Sullivan, Mr. Ahearne, the surveyor, said that he considered the amount stated by Mr. O'Bryen little enough for the requirements for the year.
   Mr. O'Bryen considered that the Commissioners should, when they were in a position to do so, complete the entire sewerage of the town. If that were done he thought the surveyor's salary should be increased.
   Mr. Seymour said that any increase to the salary should come out of the road rate. He intended to present for its increase. Some time since it was moved to raise it by £20, and an increase of £10 was then granted, but he (Mr. Seymour) intended to present for a further addition to it.
   Mr. O'Sullivan suggested that if they decided the matter then, the Board ought give £40 to be divided between the secretary and the surveyor, the respective salaries of those officers to be subsequently raised.
   The matter was ultimately referred to the monthly meeting of the Commissioners.
   The following presentments were passed:—One for the repairing of 50 yards of street surface at the Rock, and for repairing the retaining wall on the street at the same place, £5 10s. ; another, for erecting three water closets for public use on the foreshore, £30 ; for repairing Gilbert's-lane, £8 ; to erect kerbing and waterway on the East Ferry-road, £15 ; making a footpath on the Mall, £15.
   The Board soon after adjourned.

(Before T. M. CUMMINS, D. POWER, T. H. TARRANT, W. D. SEYMOUR, and Captain MARTIN).
R. H. O'Bryen v. Michael Costelloe
THE complainant Mr. O'Bryen, solicitor, summoned the defendant, proprietor of the “Queensland Bazaar” for a short time at the Queen's Hotel, and now at the Imperial, for suffering his dog to be at large without being logged or muzzled, in consequence of which it attacked complainant and his dog, injuring the latter.
   Mr. Allen, solicitor, appeared for the defendant.
   Mr. O'Bryen was sworn and deposed to the facts stated in the summons.
   Mr. Allen said that no evidence was given as to the ownership of the dog.
   Mr. Tarrant—Have we not the defendant appearing as the owner ; or for whom do you appear?
   Mr. Allen—For this dog, sir (laughter).
   Mr. O'Bryen—Well 'tis the first time I heard of a dog appearing as a defendant in a court of justice.
   Mr. Allen admitted he represented Mr. Costelloe, the defendant.
   Evidence for the defence was entered to show that the dog was in care of a servant, that it rushed at the complainant's, which was muzzled, and not at its owner, and that it was a quiet animal.
   The Bench retired to consider their decision, and the majority decided on fining the defendant 10s. and costs of court.
   DUBLIN, MONDAY EVENING.—The death of John O'Dwyer, Esq., senior Taxing Master of the Court of Chancery, is announced. The salary of the vacant office is £1,000 a year.

   PLYMOUTH 27TH APRIL.—Messrs. Wigram's screw steamship London put in here this afternoon, with 92 chief cabin, and 225 second and third class passengers, 30,694 oz. gold and full cargo. She left Melbourne February 5th, and Fayal on the 15th. Her mails and over 150 passengers have been landed here. She proceeds to-morrow for London.
Late of Clifden.
DEAR SIR,—We, the undersigned Magistrates, Clergy, Gentry, and Inhabitants of Connemara, having learned with great regret that you are now about to leave us for another district, think it due to ourselves, as well as to you, dear sir, to express the complete satisfaction afforded by you as a magistrate, a gentleman, and a member of private society, during your long residence among us.
   Feeling, as we do, that throughout that lengthened period you have discharged your various onerous duties efficiently and well in the estimation of the public at large, we rest assured that wherever your duty leads you your ability and honesty of purpose will be equally appreciated.
   And now, wishing you all the prosperity you so well deserve, we say farewell, with our sincerest regards for yourself and family, and remain,
                 Most faithfully yours,
      William W. Brereton, Q.C., Chairman, Co. Galway.
      Thomas Young Prior, J.P., Ballinakill.
      George J. Robinson, J.P., Ballinahinch Castle.
      William Forbes, Lieutenant Colonel, J.P., Rusheen, Carna.
      Patrick Macaulay, J.P., Letterfrack.
      John Campbell Jones, J.P., Ballyconnealy Lodge.
      Edward Browne, J.P., Rossleague.
      F. J. Graham, J.P., Counties Fermanagh and Galway, Letterfrack Lodge.
      John Eyre, J.P., Clifden Castle.
      Richard H. Wall, D.D., Errislannan Lodge.
      T. H. Fleming, A.M., Incumbent of Roundstone.
      Thomas Arthur, Glanmore Lodge.
      Anthony M'Gee, D.D., The Priory.
      P. MacManus, P.P., V.F., Clifden.
      Joseph M'Guinness, P.P., Ballinakill.
      John Geraghty, Clifden.
      Gartside Shea, Shinenagh.
      C. R. Broughton, Mountain View.
      A. Maxwell, Carna.
      Thomas Hazell, Doon Cottage.
      Samuel D. Robbins, Rusheenacara.
      Frederick Taylor, Glendalough.
      Frederick Taylor, jun., Glendalough.
      T. H. De Courcey, S.I., Roundstone.
      John Robinson [sic], Deradda Lodge.¹
      Thomas Meredith, P.L.G., Ballinahinch.
      Walter S. Wall, Errislannan Lodge.
      Martin R. Hart, Clifden.
      James F. Flannelly, P.P., Roundstone.
      John O. Malley, C.C., Ballinakill
      William H. Suffield, M.D., Clifden.
      P. Walsh, C.C. Clifden.
      Christopher Payne, M.D., Roundstone
      Alexander Kerr, M.D., Letterfrack.
      E. J. Adamson, Kill.
      Robert Macredy, Lisoughter Lodge.
      Charles Beatty, C.O., Coastguard, Claggan.
      E. Steward, South Hill.
      A. T. Hamilton, Carna Lodge.
      A. M'Kelvey, S.I.C., Clifden.
Submitted by dja
1— The person who owned Deradda Lodge was John Robertson, not Robinson. The error is in the original paper and not a transcription error. Robertson is well documented as owner of Deradda Lodge, now called The Angler's Return, at Toombeola.

Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.