The Cork Examiner, 1 April 1863
THE following First-class Sailing Ships will be despatched with Passengers as follows :—To Sail,
WAVERLYCaptain BONNAR1st April.
SUBLIMECaptain STALKER2nd April.
ANGLESEACaptain BRUCE8th April.
WM. RATHBONECaptain PRATT ”      
   For Passage apply to SABEL & SEARLE,
19, Water-Streeet, and Regent Road,        
Liverpool ; or    
Merchant's Quay, Cork.    
I, JOHN M'CARTHY, Junior Pilot, of No. 16, HARBOUR VIEW, QUEENSTOWN, will not be Accountable for any Debts contracted by my Wife, JOHANNA M'CARTHY, from the 31st day of MARCH forward—as also my Daughter JOHANNA ; and I further state that any Property extracted from my House or Premises, or any parties receiving same will be Prosecuted according to Law.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 15 April 1863
   DISTRESSING MORTALITY.—We do not remember ever having to record a more distressing and painful instance of mortality in the same family than that which has just occurred in this district. In 11 days no less than five members of a family were cut off in their youth and prime, none of them having been ill for more than a few hours. The family thus so suddenly bereaved, and who have now to bear so heavy a cross, is that of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Watkins, who reside in a small cottage on Cloyne Farm, Cloyne Common, Oystermouth, near Swansea. The deaths were as follows :—On the 22nd of March last, Elizabeth, aged 11 years, and Margaret, aged 4 years ; on the 1st of April, Ann, aged 9 ; on the 3d of April, Richard, aged 19 ; and on the 5th of April, Johanna, aged 10 years. Diptheria was the cause of death in each instance, and notwithstanding two medical men were called in all their skill and attention proved unavailing. It is said that the recent wet weather, coming after so long a continuance of dry weather, the house being a lone one situate upon a common, might have produced the disease. This awful visitation has spread a gloom over the whole district, where the family, though poor, were much respected, and the neighbours deeply sympathise with them in their severe and almost unparalleled affliction.—Bristol Mercury.
   CURIOUS DISCOVERY.—To the Editor for the Melbourne Argus.—Sir,—I have lately discovered in a stony creek 15 miles from Castlemaine, the bodies of three Aboriginals, quite whole, and not wanting in the smallest details, but which are petrified into solid marble. When I last saw them I thought they were actually alive, until, on going closer, I noticed the eyes. They are in a sitting posture, and the veins, muscles, &c., may be distinctly traced through what is now a group of stone blocks ; they are in a splendid state of preservation, even the finger nails, teeth, &c., are as perfect as they were 500 years ago. One of them has a stone axe by his side without any haft. The group altogether is the stangest concern I have ever witnessed. Now, Sir, I beg to ask you if I have the power to take the lot with a view to its exhibition ; or will I be liable to lose them altogether? Do they belong to the finder, or to Government, or to whom? Respectfully soliciting your opinion, I am, Sir, yours truly, INVESTIGATOR.—Mia, Mia Creek, Jan. 4.
   THREATENING LETTER.—Moses M'Carthy, who has been charged with having written the threatening letter to Wm. Lynch, the agent of Mr. Robert Ferguson, B.L., was on Friday last, after a second private investigation by the Magistrates at Newcastle West, at which the Crown Solicitor, Mr. P. J. Murphy, attended, committed to gaol to stand his trial at the next Assizes, or whenever sufficient evidence can be fished out to convict him. Mike Healy, a young chap who is suspected as the writer of the letter, at the desire of M'Carthy, is remanded to Friday next for further investigation. It remained for the Newcastle Bench to introduce this Star-chamber¹ system of investigation, respecting these threatening letters, and thereby help to increase rather than diminish the suspicions of the public.—Limerick Reporter

   We (Tralee Chronicle) regret to have to state that another case of that description for which our otherwise peacable county has gained some unenviable notoriety took place, a few weeks ago, near Listowel—we mean an offence against the fair sex. The facts of the case appear to be those :—On the night of the 25th march, the two men charged, Jeremiah Casey and John Connor, were at a dance, which broke up about 10 o'clock at night, and on their return home met the prosecutrix, Ellen M'Elligott, and forced her into a cow-house, where they effected their unmanly purpose. They kept her there for about two hours, when she got away from them, and returned to the village of Knockanure, to the house of a man named Kelly, and related to the inmates what had happened. At the Listowel Petty Sessions on the 4th instant, the case was investigated, and Kelly, and some others were examined, the result being that the magistrates, Captain Segrave, R.M., and W. G. Sandes, Esq., granted information against Casey and Connor, and issued a warrant for their arrest. Since they received information about the matter the police have been unceasing in their exertions to arrest the parties charged, but we believe that, up to the present, they have been unsuccessful.
   THE MAGISTRACY.—The Hon. Gerard Dillon, of Clonbrock, Ahascragh, has been appointed to the commission of the peace for the County of Galway. William Magee, Esq., of Fern Hill, Wicklow, has also been appointed to the commission of the peace for the County Wicklow.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 22 April 1863
(Before Messrs. HOARE, BOLAND, JOHNSON and EGAN.)
A SAILOR named Peter Ahearne was fined 1s. and 5s. costs, for assaulting a man named Jeremiah O'Callaghan.
   John Kenny summoned Richard Healy, a stone-cutter, for £1, alleged due for labour ; and Richard Healy summoned Mr. W. D'E. Parker for 10s., also alleged as due for labour. The particulars of the case were, that Mr. Parker was granted a sum of £2 by the Harbour Board, for the purpose of having two small rocks in the river removed. A letter was read from him stating that 10s. was only due in the first case, and requesting that the case of Healy against himself should be postponed. The Bench ordered 10s. and costs be paid in the former, and postponed the later case.

ABOUT five o'clock on Monday evening, one of the convicts at Spike Island, a young man named Arthur M'Donald, whilst working on the grounds was attacked with weakness, and almost immediately expired. He had been undergoing a term of three years' penal servitude. Mr. Henry Barry, coroner, and a jury, proceeded yesterday from Queenstown to the island and held an inquest on deceased. They found a verdict that death ensued from natural causes.
   A QUARREL ABOUT A PENNY ENDING IN DEATH.—The Birmingham Daily Gazette reports an inquest held on Saturday evening on the death of Patrick Dolan, a labourer, 47 years of age. A quarrel had arisen between the man and his wife because she would not give him the money to get shaved. She threatened to leave him, and commenced packing up her things and getting together such furntiture as belonged to her before the marriage. Finally she threw a very large sea shell, an ornament, from the corner of the chimney piece, and it struck her husband on the temple. He reeled from the blow and sat down on a chair. Recovering, he walked to the hospital, where his wound was dressed, and he worked as usual on the Monday following, but became unwell and died on the following Thursday. A post mortem examination showed he had met his death from the effects of the wound, and a verdict of “Manslaughter” was returned against Mary Dolan, his wife.
IT is with much pleasure I record the brilliant success attending the military career of Captain Robert Scully, of Killarney, who joined the Federal army about the middle of September last. His present distinguished position is attributable to his tact and bravery in successive battles, particularly as promotion at the time he entered the army was difficult. Captain Scully being high in the esteem of General Corcoran, we augur for him a still more brilliant success, and fervently hope he may be spared to win more glorius laurels.—Killarney Correspondent.

   SUSPECTED MURDER.—TUBBERCURRY, APRIL 16.—On last night a young girl, named Bradly, was found drowned in a small pool of water beside a ditch near Cloonacool, a few miles from this town. Report states that it is suspected the girl's person was first violated, and that she was then smothered in the water, in connection with which the names of some parties have been mentioned, whom, at present, it would be wrong to mention. The girl was missing for some days. An inquest will be held to-morrow, when all the facts will come out.—Sligo Independent

   DEATH BY FIRE.—In the fourteen years, 1848-61, 39,927 persons—about eight a day—were burnt alive in England, or were scalded to death ; 1,344 were infants under one year of age ; 4,500 were children of one and under two years of age ; 9,777 were between two and four years of age—and in these two years the child, not having learnt to dread the fire, incurs the greatest danger. The boys, being, in nursery language, “most mischievous,” are up to four years of age burnt in greater numbers than girls ; but afterwards the clothes of boys are less combustible than the clothes of girls, and fewer of them are burnt to death. Between the ages of five and fifteen 6,255 girls, but only 3,750 boys, were burnt to death in the fourteen years. Subsequently men are exposed to fires and explosions in mines and works, and die by fire in much greater nunbers than women up to about 50 years of age, after which the men grow more cautious, or are partially withdrawn from danger, and the combustible dresses of women again turn the scale against them. 2,122 old women (above 65) in their feebleness were burnt to death in the fourteen years. —Dr. Farr (Registrar-General's Report).
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 23 April 1863
   Mr. Daly, coroner for the district, held an inquiry on Friday last to ascertain the cause of death of a man aged about 55 years, whose body was found suspended from the branch of an oak tree in Shronepokeen Wood, near Milford. The neighbouring magistrates, W. Barry, H. E. Turner, R. Gibbings, R. E. C. Barry, and W. Sullivan, Esqrs., were present to assist in the investigation. A respectable jury having been sworn, several witnesses were examined, but no one knew the deceased—who he was, or from whence he came, though several hundreds of the people of the neighbourhood had seen the body, nor was there any document or token on his person which would suggest a clue. A considerable crowd had collected —some from curiosity—many to ascertain the truth of the several rumours which went abroad, giving different names and localities to the deceased. Tumultuous discussions of chances took place ; each gave his opinion, and each was alternately swayed by the opinion of others. The inquiry lasted several hours, and was adjourned for a week, to give the police time to procure further evidence, if possible, to enable the jury to come to some satisfactory conclusion. I regret to say there is little doubt that a foul and deliberate murder has been committed. The idea of suicide which was first suggested has been entirely removed by the evidence of Dr. Ahern and others. I give you their depositions abridged, in the hope that publicity may aid as well in procuring identification of deceased as leading to the detection of the perpetrators of the deed.
   Thomas Walsh—Is the woodranger of Sir James Fitzgerald. On Tuesday last, about ten o'clock, he was going through the wood at Shronepokeen. Passing by where the deceased was found, he first thought he saw a man climbing one of the trees. He stood for a few minutes to watch. Did not see him stir. Went closer ; then saw it was a body suspended from a branch. Went to the police-station, which is within a few hundred yards of the wood. Constable O'Brien came with him. They took down the body —it was cold and rigid. The rope by which the deceased was suspended was made of hay, with three strands, well twisted and firmly put together. It was twice put round the branch, brought down to near the noose in which deceased's neck was, and then firmly interwoven in the way in which sailors splice a rope. The body was suspended about two feet from the ground. No other platform was under where he was hanging. On the body being taken down a large wound was discovered across the throat. There was no blood on the body, clothes or rope, but a few specks, nor where there any foot marks at or near the tree, or any weapon found on deceased's person or in the wood, which could have inflicted the wound. Deceased appeared to be about 60 years of age. He had on a brown frock coat (frieze) corduroy breeches, long stockings, tightly gartered, old shoes well patched, black cloth waistcoat opened across the chest, with one button closed. The constable found on his person 2s. 6d. in silver, and 2½d. in coppers. The pockets were all searched. A hat lay with the crown downwards on grass, some perches from where deceased was hanging. Never saw the man before to his knowledge.
   Thomas Ahern, Esq., M.D., deposed that he examined the remains. He found a deep, jagged incised wound across the throat, extending across the windpipe, dividing it back to the vertebrae, cutting through the carotid artery and jugular vein. That wound was sufficient to cause death. From the nature and extent of the wound it was impossible that anyone could have inflicted it on himself ; he made a post mortem examination—all the symptoms of strangulation and hanging were absent ; after inflicting such a wound deceased could not have climbed the tree to hang himself ; if the wound was inflicted near where the deceased was found, so large a quantity of blood must have flown that it could easily be detected whereas when first seen the ground under the deceased was dry and clean.
   From the evidence, there can be no doubt that deceased was murdered elsewhere and brought to where he was found and suspended there ; some persons said they thought they saw him at Drumcoloher Fair a short time before purchasing calves. The prevailing opinion is that he was a cattle dealer. His description is—about 5 feet 7 inches high ; dark hair turning grey, small features, dark blue eyes, Roman nose rather thick towards the point, the body was healthy and did not appear as if deceased suffered from want ; the shirt worn by deceased was finer in quality than worn by persons in his class, and well made up.—Limerick Chronicle.
   A HEARTLESS HUSBAND.—An Englishman, formerly a captain in the army, has been residing at Ostend with his wife. While there, a yacht was being built for him by a Belgian, with whose daughter, an interesting brunette, aged 16, and of prepossessing appearance, he became acquainted. The yacht having been finished, the captain signified his intention of taking a trip in her, and shortly after he started the shipbuilder's daughter was found to be missing. Inquiries were made, and the yacht was found at Calais, where it was seized by the authorities. The young lady was last seen in Calais with a person assuming the description of the captain, who has left his wife at Ostend entirely without funds, and she had to make her way to London in the best manner she could.

THIS fair was held on Monday. The attendance of both buyers and sellers was limited, but the prices obtained were considered very good, and were considerably in advance of those obtained at any of this year's Kerry spring fairs. There was a great demand for in-calf cows and heifers, and at any fair were at once brought up. The steward of Col. Herbert, Muckross, received £29 for two three-year old in-calf heifers. Mr. Richard Leahy, Tralee, purchased a lot of two-year-old heifers at £7 10s. each. The fair was remarkable for the very superior description of cattle exhibited, and contrasted with other fairs ; very few inferior cattle were shown. Mutton was bought at 7d. per lb. ; store sheep were scarce and dear ; lambs from 10s. 6d. to 15s. ; beef at 6d. per lb. ; horses nil. —Correspondent.
Mr. JOHN SEALY, J.P., in the chair.
OTHER Guardians present—Messrs. Edward Rae, J.P. ; Gerard O'Connor, J.P. ; Jerome Quill, J.P. ; Thos. Maybury, M.D. ; Maurice S. Reidy, John Roche, Francis Fitzgerald, Alexander Mason, Thomas Fitzmaurice, and S. Pollard.
   STATE OF THE HOUSE.—Number of inmates on the 11th inst., 718 ; admitted to 18th inst., 46 ; discharged, 43 ; died, 2 ; number remaining, 719. Corresponding number last year, 741.
   FINANCE.—Amount lodged with Treasurer, during the week, £161 19s. 8d. ; payments, £182 16s. 4d. ; balance in favour of Guardians, £397 12s. 1½d.
   Some strong looking young men applied for admission. Among them were several of the Kerry Militia, who stated they were unable to procure employment ; and a shoemaker, named Michael Murphy, from Cahirciveen. They were rejected. Edmond Brick, a child 7 years of age, said to be illegitimate, and deserted by his mother, was admitted. The Relieving Officer was directed to prosecute the mother.

April 22, 1863.
   ARRIVEDRaymond, Whoolahan, Buenos Ayres, bones, proceeded to Berwick ; Thistle, Frown, Waterford, ballast, to Quebec, put in through stress of weather.
   OFF PORTCity of Cork (s.s.), New York to Liverpool, and proceeded ; Vortex, Hibbot, St. John's, timber ; George, Bindon, Gaboon River, oil, and proceeded to Liverpool.
   SAILEDOrion, Atkins, Quebec, coals ; Canada, Torstensen, Woolwich, mahogany ; Sydney Aggers, Campbell, Bombay, general cargo ; Albert Tessa, Schiebe, Limerick, wheat ; Raymond, Whoolahan, Berwick, bone ash ; Pearls, Owens, Plymouth, oats ; Chepstow, George and Mary, Mary Ann, Alma (in ballast).
(By Magnetic Telegraph.)
   ARRIVED—(Wind N.W. ; light, fine)— Barlow, Cardenas ; Ella, Matanzas ; Vortex, St. John's.
   SAILEDColonial Empire, Hull ; Isabella Atkinson, Limerick.
   Spoken by the Raymond, from Buenos Ayres, on April 5th, in latitude 22 N, longitude 43 W, the brig Betsey, from Algoa Bay, for London.
   BELFAST, THIS MORNING.—The brig Hanna, of Aberystwith (Humphries, master), from Granton to Montreal, with a cargo of iron and coals, on 17th instant, was struck by a heavy sea in latitude 57 N, longitude 19.00 W, carrying away boats, galley, &c., making a clean sweep of decks, and throwing vessel on beam ends ; cargo shifted, and bulwarks considerably damaged. The ship Saint Helena has been towed in here by steamer Monder ; fore and main-mast gone ; decks swept.

   On the 17th March, on board the ship Tudor, Bombay Harbour, the wife of Lieutenant Wherland, R.N.R., of a son. 
   On the 20th inst., at No. 4, Harcourt-terrace, Dublin, the wife of George White West, of Ardenode, Esq., of a daughter.
   On the 21st inst., at the Warren, Boyle, the wife of James T. Butler, Esq., R.M., of a son.

   On the 19th inst., after a short illness, Jane Smith, at the advanced age of 95 years.
   On the 20th inst., at No. 22, Upper Ormond-quay, Dublin, Mr. Michael Walsh, aged 75, for many years connected with the Sheriff's Office, and Record Court of the City of Dublin.
   April 16, at St. Servan, Brittany, after a short illness, Lieut.-Colonel James Fagan, H.I.E.C.S., aged 75 years, fortified by all the last rites of the church. May he rest in peace.

   COURT GOSSIP.—It is said that the Queen intends, on the anniversary of her Majesty's birth, to confer the rank of Field Marshal on the Prince of Wales. It is currently reported in court circles that the Prince and Princess of Wales will, ere long, remove from Marlborough House to Kensington Palace, and there can be no doubt that, with a judicious outlay of money, which might be carried on annually, Kensington could be made into one of the finest royal domains in the United Kingdom. It is expected that in about ten days from this time the Queen, accompanied by the Prince and Princess Louis of Hesse, will leave Windsor for Osborne. The progress towards the Princess's perfect recovery has been uninterrupted, and so satisfactory that, though not formally pronounced convalescent, there is no doubt this announcement will be made immediately, and the “churching” of the Princess will follow. The sojourn at the seaside will not extend much beyond a fortnight, when her Majesty will return to Windsor en route for Balmoral. Both the Prince and Princess of Wales have been indisposed at Sandringham. What with the scrubbing and cleaning, renovating and decorating in a hurry to get the Hall ready for the occupation of the royal bride and bridegroom, it is supposed that a little damp remained about some of the apartments, and both the Prince and Princess took cold. At one time the attack under which the Princess suffered seemed inclined to be obstinate, and Dr. Jenner was sent for from London, but fortunately it soon yielded to the usual remedies, and both their Royal Highnesses, being quite recovered, have enjoyed the charming neighbourhood of their estate with unabated pleasure.—Court Journal.

Mr. RICHARD CARROLL, J.P., chairman.
THE other guardians present were :—John George Nason, J.P. (vice-chairman) ; John Peard, D.V.C., John Barry, George K. Bourke, M. C. Hendley, J.P. ; James Kent, Major Lucas, J.P. ; John W. W. Nason, Denis O'Brien, John O'Sullivan, Thomas Rice.
   STATE OF THE HOUSE.—Remaining since last week, 424 ; admitted since, 23 ; discharged, 26 ; remaining, 421.
   FINANCE.—The balance in the bank to the credit of the Union was £1,560 8s. 10d.

   ALLEGED SEIZURE OF A VESSEL AT NEW YORK.—A rumour prevailed at New York when the Asia sailed, that the Government had laid an embargo on a vessel laden with stores, &c., for the French army in Mexico.
   A marriage is on the tapis between the Hon. Thomas Edward Stonor, eldest son of Lord Camoys, and a wealthy Catholic heiress in Yorkshire.
Submitted by dja
1 - The Star-chamber was a 17th-century English court where judges, appointed by the Crown, held secret trials of those accused of being enemies of the state. The term is used to characterise the proceedings as being arbitrary and harsh. The name comes from the stars painted on the ceiling of the court where these trials originally were held.

Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.