The Cork Examiner, 1 August 1862
. . .
County of Tipperary, to wit.}“I, John Walter Braddell, of Mallow, county Cork, but a[t] present in the town of Tipperary, being fully aware that I am in a dying state from the effects of a pistol shot, and being desirous to make this, my dying declaration, do declare as follows :—I was receiving rents in a room at Dobbyn's hotel, in the town of Tipperary, this day. There was in the said room along with me Daniel Moore, Thomas Riordan, and Michael Hayes, of Carrigmore, county Limerick, and no others. I was sitting in said room when the said Michael hayes took from his breast pocket a pistol, and aimed same at me, firing at the same time the contents of the said pistol, which lodged in my abdomen, and from the effects of which I am now in a dying state. I have been for years acquainted with the said Michael Hayes, and entertain no doubt whatever that he is the person who fired at me aforesaid.
(Signed)          “JOHN WALLER BRADDELL.    
   “Acknowledged by the said John Waller Braddell before me this 30th July, 1862
“JOHN MASSEY, J.P., co. Tipperary.”    

   The mortal remains of Prince Jerome, which had been temporarily deposited in a vault at the Hotel des Invalides, are now removed to a tomb which Prince Napoleon has had built in the Chapel Saint Jerome, close to the tomb of the Emperor Napoleon I.
   The Marquise de Champagne, to whom M. Louis Veuillot is to be married, possesses a chateau in Brittany, and has a fortune of 50,000f. a-year.

THIS morning the 51 gun frigate Shannon arrived in the harbour. Her entrance was quite a sight. She sailed in upon a steady breeze from the westward, carrying every stitch of canvas from royals to studding sails. As the huge pyramid gleamed in the sunlight a more magnificent could scarcely be seen. On her arrival inside the forts she fired a salute of 13 guns, which was answered from the Hawke.
   KINGSTOWN, WEDNESDAY NIGHT, 12 o'CLOCK.—A man has deliberately committed suicide to-night, at Salt-hill, by laying his head on the rails, and allowing the 11 p.m. train from Dublin to pass over it. His features are not discernable. He is old, and of a gentlemanly appearance. His name is not known, but inside his hat was found a paper on which was written, “I have been sleeping on the rocks these two nights.”

COUNTY OF CORK AGRICULTURAL SHOW.—In our notice of this show on Wednesday we unintentionally omitted mentioning the name of Mr. Jeremiah Carroll, jun., Cook-street, as one of the exhibitors of agricultural implements, &c. The number of machines was large and varied, and attracted much attention.
BOLTON ABBEY IN THE OLDEN TIME.—The drawing for this truly beautiful work took place yesterday at Mr. Telerton's, Grand Parade. After about 100 tickets having been drawn, the fortunate winner was Mr. H. Fitzmaurice, Bridge-street, holder of ticket No. 109. The drawing was conducted by Mr. Galway, jun., and Mr. Morrogh.
ROBBERY.—At the Police-office this morning John M'Carthy and James Morgan were brought before Mr. Orme, R.M., charged with assaulting and robbing Mr. Andrew Savage on the night of the 7th of July last. Head-Constable Mills who had the men in charge, stating that the evidence was not complete, the prisoners were remanded for eight days.

THE United States steam war frigate Tuscarora arrived yesterday evening at Queenstown, and anchored in the man-of-war roads. This vessel, which is very well known from her surveillance over the Confederate steamer Nashville in the Southampton waters, lies too far out to be well judged from the shore at Queenstown ; but she looks graceful, and would be guessed by her shape to be fast. Her armament is small, consisting of six Armstrong guns, and some few others. Mr. DEVINE, the American consul, went on board yesterday. To-day the officers of the ship waited on Archbishop HUGHES in Cork. The future movements of the ship, which have excited considerable speculation, are unknown. In Southampton it was supposed that she had left in pursuit of the British steamer Merrimac, which had left in order to run the blockade with stores and arms for the Confederates. It is probable that she is bound west, as she took in a considerable quantity of coal on yesterday.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 4 August 1862
THE annual election of chairman of the Tralee Town Commissioners took place on Friday. The Commissioners present were :—Messrs. Richard Donovan (presiding), George Hilliard, J.P., M. Reidy, Wm. Coffey, M. Lyons, Patrick Stokes, and Thade Riordan. Mr. Wm. Coffey proposed, and Mr. Hilliard seconded, the nomination of the outgoing chairman, Mr. Donovan, which was carried unanimously, the Commissioners thereby proving their appreciation of the very many valuable services rendered by Mr. Donovan in various ways and on many occasions to the people of Tralee. Tralee comprises a population of over 10,000 souls, and it must be exceedingly gratifying to Mr. Donovan to be unanimously called on to take the place of first citizen for the coming year of so large and important a community.—Tralee Correspondent

ON yesterday the steamship Scotia left this port for New York. Among the passengers were the Most Rev. Dr. Hughes, Archbishop of New York ; the Right Rev. Dr. Woods, Bishop of Philadelphia ; the Right Rev. Dr. Purcell, Bishop of Cincinnatti ; and the Right Rev. Dr. M'Clusky, Bishop of Albany. Their lordships were accompanied to the pier by the Right Rev. Dr. Delany and some of our most respected citizens, and the crowd of spectators cheered loudly when the Jackal steamed off with its venerated freight. The Scotia was visited during the day by Mr. Justice Keogh, Mr. Clarke, Q.C., and several other gentlemen belonging to the Munster bar.
(Before Mr. A. M'NAMARA.)
THE number of drunkards before the Bench this morning was considerable.
   John Conway and John Murphy, two well-dressed and respectable looking boys were put forward by Sub-Constable Conway charged with throwing stones from Lavitt's Quay at persons passing down the river in a boat.
   Mr. M'Namara said that the bench had determined on punishing persons caught stone-throwing very severely, In the present instance he would fine the boys 5s. each.
   Michl. Cunningham was put forward by Acting- Constable Clerk who said that on Saturday evening about 10 o'clock a report came to the Tuckey-street guard house that the prisoner had stabbed his wife. On going down to Cove-street where Cunningham resides, the police found Mrs. Cunningham bleeding from a severe wound in the side. She was at once conveyed to the South Infirmary and Dr. Callaghan, the house surgeon, refused to certify her as out of danger.
   Cunningham was remanded for 3 days.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 8 August 1862
   On the 3d inst., at the Rectory, Corfe Castle, the Lady Charlotte Bankes, of a son.
   On the 1st inst., at Dover, the wife of B. H. Burge, Esq., 59th Regt., of a daughter.
   On the 4th inst., at Brighton, the wife of Captain Thurburn, R.N., of a son.
   At Phoenix-park, Dublin, the wife of N. B. Gallwey, Esq., Adjutant of the Constabulary, of twins.
   At Knockinroe-house, King's County, the wife of J. J. Smith, Esq., of a son.
   At Barrow-bank, King's County, the wife of Wm. Humphreys, Esq., J.P., of a daughter.

   On the 7th inst., at St. Luke's Church, by the Rev. Justin M'Carthy, Henry Wellington Hartford, Esq., 21st Royal N. B. Fusiliers, only son of the late Captain Henry Hartford, 59th Regiment, and grandson of the late Henry Hartford, Esq., of Tenny Park, county Kilkenny, to Isabella, eldest daughter of the late Thomas Fitton, Esq., solicitor, of Bloomfield, near Cork.
   On the 5th inst., at St. Michael's Church, Limerick, by the Ven. Archdeacon Peacocke, William, only son of Robert Thorn, Esq., Thornhill, county Tipperary, to Maryanne, daughter of John Evans, Esq., White Abbey, Belfast. [No cards sent.]
   At Rathfarnham Church, county Dublin, Thomas Rudd, Esq., of Clonhaston, county of Wexford, to Emily Caroline, daughter of Thomas Goodisson, Esq., Heathfield, Rathgar, county of Dublin.
   At the Roman Catholic Church, Clonsilla, Dublin, Christopher Palles, Esq., barrister-at-law, to Ellen, daughter of the late Denis Doyle, Esq.
   At St. George's Church, Hanover-square, London, Major the Hon. Henry Littleton P. Keck, of Stoughton Grange, Leicestershire, to Maria Gore, daughter of the late Vice-Admiral Sir John Gore, G.C.B., G.C.H.
   At the Royal Bavarian Chapel, London, Edward Pereira, Esq., to the Hon. Margaret Ann Stoner, daughter of Lord Camoys.

   August 7th, Mrs. Kate O'Mahony, of Templevalley. May she rest in peace.
   April 23d, at Adelaide, South Australia, Henry Watts, Esq., formerly Lieut. in H.M.'s 47th Regt.
   At sea, on board the transport Silver Eagle, George K. Chatfield, Esq., Captain 91st Regiment.
   On the 31st ult, at Bath, Sir Edward Pine Coffin, C.B., aged 76, for many years Senior Commissary- General in her Majesty's service.
   On the 1st inst., at Edinburgh, Major-Gen. Alex. Carnegy, C.B., H.M.'s Indian Army.
   On the 4th inst., at Tralee, Mrs. Eliza Cronesbury, formerly of Cahermoon, in this county, aged 88 years. 
   At Upper Dorset-street, Dublin, Robert A. Thompson, Esq., solicitor.
   In Dublin, John Edward Jones, Esq., sculptor.
   At Larch-hill, Queen's County, George Roe, Esq., last of Rush Hall, same county.

A VERY distressing incident occurred at the Recorder's Court, yesterday. Mr. Cornelius Noonan, a gentleman for the past two years resident in this city, was giving evidence in a case in which his friend, Mr. Dowling, the late American Consul for Cork, was concerned, when he was suddenly seized with a severe fit which made his body writhe with agony. He was obliged to be removed from the chair in which he was sitting to the solicitors' room, where he remained during the whole of the day and last night, a return of the fit repeatedly occurring during that period. Dr. Parker, of Carrigrohane, who happened to be in court, immediately attended him, but as the gentleman was in a dangerous state the assistance of Dr. Tanner, his family physician, Dr. Wall, and other medical men was obtained. The Very Rev. J. J. Canon Murphy and the Reverend Walter Murphy, also visited the gentleman and gave him whatever spiritual comfort he was enabled, in the exhausted state of his health, to receive. Mr. Noonan is the proprietor of an extensive property in New Orleans. He has resided in this city during the past two years, and his kindly and gentlemanly manner has caused him to be highly respected here. When the account of his illness circulated through the city yesterday, there was the deepest commiseration and concern felt for him. Indeed, a deeper could not have been exhibited if he had been one of the oldest and most valued citizens. Mr. Noonan was removed to his residence, Mount Verdon Terrace, this morning, and from enquiries we have made, we are happy to be able to intimate that he is progressing favourably.
August 7th, 1862.
   ARRIVEDEmma, Schmidt, Quebec ; F. Brunne, Baltzer, Montreal, maize ; Rescue, Nicherson, Demerara, timber ; Scorpion, Welch, Saffi, maize ; News Boy, Punton, Rio Grande, bone ash ; Regina, London, Sulina, maize.
   SAILEDPersian, Ditchburn, Montrose ; Simeon, Griffiths, Newry ; Mary Ann, Pritchard, London
(By Magnetic Telegraph).
   ARRIVEDCarrig, Ibrail ; Adams, New York ; Slavomer, Odessa ; Dominick, Quebec, for Cork.
   SAILEDJanet Kidston, London, on 6th ; Florence, Liverpool ; Samuel Robertson, Berwick ; Carlos, St. Ettin ; H. Dobing, London ; Elise, Alloa ; Johanna Antonetta, Glasgow ; Charles, Leith.

MURDER BY A CHILD.—At the Lincoln assizes, Elizabeth Vamplew, aged thirteen, pleaded “Not guilty” to an indictment charging her with the wilful murder of Kate Mary Taylor, an infant whom the accused was employed to nurse. Evidence was given to show that the prisoner had bought a package of Battle's vermin killer, and that the child died from strychnine, one of the ingredients of Battle's powder. After her apprehension, Vamplew admitted that she had given the child poison because she was “tired of hugging it.” The jury found her guilty of manslaughter, and [she] was sentenced to twelve years' penal servitude. Facts transpired during the trial which tend to fix the death of two other infants on the youthful culprit.
BARONIES (IRELAND).—A return, issued yesterday, gives the names of the baronies or half-baronies in each of the counties in Ireland, with the gross valuation of each according to the general valuation. A summary of the returns shows that the gross valuation for the provinces was—For Connaught, £1,438,159 ; for Leinster, £4,486,379 ; for Munster, £3,326,882 ; and for Ulster, £3,900,388.
MORAL ENGLAND !—The Morning Star contains a long homily on the great number of suicides and attempts at suicide committed in London by drunken prostitutes in the waters of London Dock from the several bridges in New Gravel-lane, Shadwell, and Old Gravel-lane, Saint Georges'-in-the-East, and occasionally from the swivel bridge near Wapping Church and the swivel bridge which passes over the Hermitage Lock, Lower East Smithfield. The number has lately become so great, extraordinary mean[s] will, it is thought, be found necessary to put a stop to them. At the Thames Police court on Monday, Mr. Selfe said “these repeated attempts at suicide were quite shocking to humanity.”
EIGHT CHILDREN AT A BIRTH.—On the 2nd of August Mrs. Timothy Bradley, of Trumbull County, Ohio, gave birth to eight children—three boys and five girls. They are all living, and are healthy, but quite small. Mr. B's family is increasing fast. He was married six years ago, to Eunice Mowbray, who weighed 273 lbs. on the day of her marriage. She has given birth to two pair of twins, and now eight more, making twelve children in six years. It seems strange, but nevertheless true, Mrs. B. was a twin of three, her mother and father were both twins, and her grandmother the mother of five pair of twins. Mrs. B. has named her boys after noted and distinguished men ; one after the Hon. J. R. Giddings, who has given her a splendid gold medal ; one after the Hon. Elijah Champlain, who gave her a deed of fifty acres of land ; and the other after James Johnson, who gave her a cow.—Letter in New York Tribune
   The Great Exhibition umbrella question was tried at the Brompton county court on Wednesday. The case is not altogether unknown to our readers, Captain Garnham having adopted other means than the county court to obtain redress of the wrongs he suffered in having to pay a penny for the care of his umbrella, whenever he carried one to the Exhibition, or to have the umbrella itself forfeited. This conduct he regarded as an infraction of his rights as a season ticket holder, and brought his action accordingly. The point in dispute was whether the commissioners had power to enforce this payment under their right to make regulations for the proper management of the building. The judge decided that they had not, and ordered the commissioners to restore the umbrella and pay a shilling damages.

   KILLARNEY, THURSDAY.—Notwithstanding the disturbed state of American affairs, the tide of emigration from all parts of Kerry still continues to flow as rapidly as ever. Yesterday morning might have vividly brought back the spectator's recollection of the painful scenes witnessed in 1847. Since then such a large number of well-to-do class of emigrants have not taken their departure for America as I had occasion to witness on yesterday ; they comprised the farming classes and several domestic servants, the entire presenting a fine healthy appearance. They filled by themselves one division of a third- class carriage. The leave-taking from their friends was indeed most affecting, and could not be viewed unmoved by any one. They were accompanied by Mr. Daniel Shea, local agent for the Inman line, to Queenstown, who was untiring in affording them every comfort in his power.—Correspondent
EDWARD BARRY, a stone-cutter, was brought to the North Infirmary on Monday, with double fracture of the lower jaw, caused by a fall from a window in Queenstown.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 19 August 1862
(Before Messrs. JOHNSON, DUNSCOMBE, W. H. LYONS, and R. ORME, R.M.)
TWO women named Hickie and Lynch were sentenced to one week's imprisonment for having been disorderly on Monday night on Patrick's Hill, and using obscene language. 
   Mary Sullivan, who was remanded from last week for stealing a sum of £35 2s. 6d. from a sailor, was again brought up to day, and discharged from custody, the sailor not appearing to prosecute.
   A person named Michael Cullinane, living in the locality of Beauchamp's-lane, was charged with allowing his dog to go at large, unlogged and unmuzzled, in which state it had bitten a little child named Murphy.
   The Bench imposed a fine of 2s. 6d., and ordered the dog to be given to the police to be shot. In the event of Cullinane refusing to surrender the dog, the fine was to be increased to 10s.
   John Murphy, who was remanded for being a deserter from the South Cork Militia, was again brought up by Constable Vickers, who stated that as the prisoner had never attended training he could not be identified. He corresponded in name and appearance with the prisoner who had enrolled in the regiment.
   The Bench discharged him.
   The Inspector of lodging-houses applied for a cancelment of the lodging license of Mrs. Galvin, Paul-street, in consequence of repeated breaches of the Lodging-house Act. The application was granted.
   Four persons named John Murphy, Margaret M'Carthy, Mary Murphy and Mary M'Carthy, were charged with threatening to take the life of a woman named Honorah Furlong. The prosecutor had given evidence on Friday in the Recorder's Court against M'Carthy and Morgan, who were sentenced to penal servitude for assaulting Mr. Andrew Savage, and on leaving the court-house the prisoners, Mary Murphy and Margaret M'Carthy used towards him threatening language.
   The Bench ordered these two girls to find bail to keep the peace, themselves in £5 each and two sureties in £2 10s. each, or to go to gaol for two months. They were all cautioned that if they repeated the threatening language they would be sent for trial to the Assizes.
   Michael Cunningham, the prisoner charged with stabbing his wife, was brought before the Bench, and evidence was given against him.
   Richard Reed, a showmaker, living in Cove-street, stated that on Saturday evening, the 1st of August, hearing a scream from the house of the prisoner Cunningham, he went to the place and saw Cunningham having a hold of his wife ; she was calling out loudly to be let go, and, at the time, was bleeding from the breast ; the husband had a knife by the handle, and she had hold of the blade ; witness asked him to put away the knife and he did so ; did not take it from him ; the wife became exhausted from the wound and the struggle, and witness gave her water to drink ; the prisoner took the vessel from him, and threw the water in her face ; he said “Die now, and be damned to you ;” she was then lying on the floor ; the prisoner did not kick her whilst she was on the ground ; she was taken off soon after to the Infirmary.
   This witness gave his evidence with the utmost reluctance.
   After hearing further proof of the prisoner's crime, he was fully committed.

(Magistrates presiding:—Messrs. JAMES H. PAYNE, and THOS. C. COLE.)
THIS was a special court day fixed for the hearing of several fishery cases, under the 27th section, 5th and 6th Vic., cap. 106. James Cooney, David and Thomas Carthy, John Culnane, John, Daniel and Hugh Cooney, Daniel Hartillo, William Hegarty, Charles and Michael Mahony were summoned, for “that they on the 24th day of June, 1862, not being the proprietors of a several fishery on the the whole of the Bandon river and its tributaries, and within the limits of such several fishery did illegally shoot and stretch a net across that part of the Bandon river, running nearly opposite Shippool and Rock Castle in the County of Cork.”
   William Meara, water-bailiff of Innoshannon, having proved the case very clearly, the bench fined the eleven defendants two pounds each and six shillings and sixpence each for costs, and directed the penalty to be apportioned according to the 11th and 12th Vic., cap. 92, sec. 35, and 100 cap., 21 and 22 Vic., sec. 28.
   Mr. Henry B. Julian, solicitor, with Mr. J. P. Carleton, Inspector of Cork District Fisheries, appeared for the prosecution, and Mr. C. P. Wallis, solicitor, for the defendants, who stated he would appeal from the convictions.

   REPORTED MASSACRE ON ROANOKE ISLAND.—The Richmond Despatch of the 23rd says, it is believed in Eastern North Carolina that an insurrection has taken place among the several thousand runaway negroes on Roanoke Island. It is said that, becoming dissatisfied with the harsh usage experienced at the hands of their new masters, they took advantage of an opportunity presented while the Yankees were at dinner, and, seizing the stacked arms, fired into them and killed several. The Yankees, recovering from the panic in which they were first thrown, retook their guns and slaughtered almost every negro on the island.

   BELFAST, MONDAY EVENING.—This evening, about 7 o'clock, the Tuscarora arrived in Belfast Lough, and anchored off Greypoint.
LORD WM. FITZGERALD, Sir Charles Pigott, Bart., and General Williamson, are staying at Dr. Barter's hydropathic establishment, Anne's-hill.
   SHANGHAI, 3RD JULY.—The rebels remain quiet. The American steamer, Union Star, has been blown up ; several lives lost.

THE FATAL ACCIDENT AT THE BANDON RAILWAY TERMINUS —After the evidence had been concluded, the jury visited the spot where the deceased, Daniel Sullivan, had been found ; and returned a verdict that his death was accidental, but at the same time they considered that the lamps on the platform that were left unlit on the night in question should have been lighted, as the part of the railway where deceased was found was thereby left in an unguarded position. Mr. Jones, the coroner, said that although he was bound to receive the verdict, he did not know that it appeared in any part of the evidence that the portion of the line alluded to in it was left unguarded, or that it was necessary to guard it.
   Another inquest was held yesterday by Mr. Jones, in York-street, Blackpool, into the circumstances connected with the death of a little girl named Honora Flyn. The evidence explained that about two or three months since, the child's father, who is a butcher, had a dispute with another man, and in the heat of it, made a blow of a cleaver at him, which blow, unfortunately, fell on his own child. She was struck on the head, and the wound inflicted was so severe that the brain protruded from it. The father was arrested for the act, but in consideration of his wife's state of health—the melancholy occurrence having affected her mind to a dangerous degree—was allowed at liberty on giving bail. The child lived on in a precarious state, until last Saturday, when an operation was performed on her, it being the only means of saving her ; but she did not linger long after it. The jury returned a verdict that “deceased died by reason of a certain wound in the head, but how or by what means she received it there was no evidence to show.”

ABOUT 260 emigrants left Queenstown for Canada yesterday by the John Bell, one of the steamers belonging to the Montreal Ocean Company. Ninety- five of them came from Glasgow in the vessel, and the remainder joined here. The Irish emigrants were almost exclusively of the labouring and small farming classes, and seemed a hard-working, industrious set of people —in fact, just those who would be likely to make their way in the land they are going to. They were of all ages —from mere children to men and women far advanced in life, whose last thoughts one would suppose emigration to be. Among them were a good many men of large families, but the majority were able-bodied single young men and women. Most of the emigrants came from the midland counties, and some few from kerry and the western part of this county. They arrived in Queenstown bewteen four and five o'clock, and so speedy was the work of embarkation gone through— under the superintendence of the local agents, Messrs. SCOTT and Co. and Mr. D. BRENNAN—that the ship was able to leave about seven o'clock. The John Bell had a remarkably good passage over from Glasgow ; she made the run across in thirty-six hours, though detained some time outside the harbour waiting for a pilot. The weather was perfectly calm, and the water extraordinarily smooth.

BERE ISLAND, THREE o'CLOCK, SUNDAY, AUG. 17TH.— Great Eastern passing in sight of land, westwards, under steam.
   A serious loss to the Underwriters has occurred in the capture of the British steamer Memphis, on the 31st ult., in an attempt to run the Charleston blockade, with a valuable cargo. The risk had been heavily done at 40 guineas premium.

   COLLISION IN THE LIFFEY.—As the Kingstown steamboat, filled with passengers, was starting from the Custom-house quay on her trip to Kingstown between four and five o'clock p.m., yesterday, she came into violent contact with the other pleasure boat, the Pilot, which was lying at her moorings and also had a number of passengers on board. The accident was not attended with any serious consequences, but some slight injuries were sustained by both vessels. A second collision also occurred at the same place between the same vessels about half-past seven o'clock. On the latter occasion the Pilot sustained some slight damage.—Saunders.
   UNREQUITED LOVE.—A young woman named Margaret Pugh, barmaid in a public house on Vauxhall Bridge- road, London, committed suicide by hanging herself with her stockings from the rail of her bed. She was expecting to be married, but her lover proved untrue.
   THE WATERFORD LUNATIC ASYLUM.—The Lord Lieutenant has refused the application of the Grand Juries of the County and City of Waterford, to increase the salary of Capt. Dobbs, on the ground that the increased salary paid in other places was meant to obtain the services of medical men.—Waterford Mail.
   WRECKS.—During the past week fifteen vessels were reported lost, making the total number of wrecks for the present year 1,117.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 9 August 1862

IN forming this much required Establishment, has thought it more honest and fair that he should work for those that pay him, than for any distinct Line of Steamers, Sailing Ships, &c.
   He offers his services to parties about to Emigrate with the utmost confidence of success, and feels satisfied from his long residence in the Lower Provinces of British North America, Canada, and the United States, that he can furnish a vast amount of information which will be useful to those intending to Settle or Travel in the Western World.
   One great advantage that Passengers will have by making arrangements through his office is, that they can command (without costs) the advice and assistance of his Agents at New York, &c., &c.
   During his residence in America and elsewhere, it has frequently come under his notice the many sad sufferings—such as loss of time and money—which passengers have to endure when landing, unprotected, in a strange country. Unfortunately, these wrongs are occasioned by taking the advice of persons whose business it is to fasten on new comers and swindle them in every conceivable manner, by selling false railway tickets, and passing counterfeit money, &c., &c. These frauds too often happen, and as law and justice is hard to be found by a stranger in any country, the only remedy is to act under the advice of one who has a thorough knowledge of the business, and who offers an easy and safe preventative.
   Passengers forwarded by the principal lines of Steamers and Sailing Vessels leaving Great Britain and Ireland for all parts of the World.
   A Monthly Circular will be issued (Gratis) from the Office, which will contain a list of all suitable Steamers and Sailing Ships that may be advertised to sail from Great Britain and Ireland.

   On the 29th ult, at Ballybutler, in this county, the wife of Richard F. Cox, Esq., of a daughter.
   At New Ross, on the 3d inst., the wife of J. P. Suche, Esq., of a daughter.
   On the 6th ult, at Constantinople, the wife of Major Gordon, R.A., of a son.

   On the 5th inst., at St. Stephen's, Paddington, Captain James B. Willoughby, R.N., to Henrietta, widow of the late Rev. H. Harrison, rector of Elston, Notts.
   On the 5th inst., at All Souls, London, Major Edmund Campbell, youngest son of General F. Campbell, Royal Artillery, to Frances Mary, eldest daughter of the late Frederick Collicot, Esq., of Weston Isle, Somerset, and of the H.E.I.C.S.
   On the 5th inst., at Cotmanhay, Derby, Major the Honorable Charles John Addington, third son of Viscount Sidmouth, to Nelly, second daughter of A. M. Mundy, Esq., of Shipley Hall, Derby.

   At the National Bank, Kanturk, on the 5th inst., of disease of the heart, aged 19 years, Margaret Marcella, daughter of Edward Shanly, Esq. Her amiable disposition and gentle manners endeared her to a large circle of friends, by whom she is deeply regretted.
   On the 7th inst., at her residence, Whitepoint- house, Queenstown, Maria Harriett, the beloved wife of Wm. B. A. Morrison, and only child of John Edwards, Esq.
   On the 6th inst., at Monkstown, Captain Richard Conner, R.N., in the 73d year of his age.
   On the 4th inst., at Melville Hospital, W. H. Crane, Esq., R.N., late of H.M.S. Colossus.

A CHILD named Mary Kate Donovan, belonging to persons living in Fish-street, was brought to the North Infirmary this morning in a very dangerous state, suffering from a severe wound on the head. She was looking out of a window, it appears with two other children, when they shut it down on her, and the edge of the frame coming with great force against her forehead inflicted a dreadful gash in it.
August 8th, 1862.
   ARRIVEDSlamovir, Verona, Poti, maize ; Dominica, Felkins, Quebec, timber, for Cork ; Glasgow steamer, from Liverpool, and proceeded to New York ; Carrig, Codd, Galatz, wheat ; Adamo, Zino, New York, wheat ; Pietro, Bonno, Berdianski, wheat ; Sirra, Molback, Galatz, maize ; Acme, Halse, New York, for Cork.
   SAILEDSamuel Robertson, Taper, Berwick, hides ; Carlos, Drens, Stettin, logwood ; H. Dobing, Mooring, London, sugar ; Isnardon, Stoddard, Liverpool ; Pennsylvania, Sorrentina, Leith, wheat ; Rapid, Cooney, Plymouth, hides ; Mentor, Medhoing, Bristol, hides ; Charles, Le Chere, Leith, soda ; Galatea, Mortolo, Kingroad, grain ; Maria, Gianohulo, London, grain ; Accra, Wary, Bridgewater, hides, &c. ; Johanna Antoinette, Eckerberg, Glasgow, grain ; Elice, Dehly, Atloa, maize ; Cypress, Fembow, Leith, maize ; Rosa, Beverno, London, hides ; St. Anna, Caffiero, Sligo, grain.
(By Magnetic Telegraph.)
   ARRIVEDVolpi, from Taganrog ; Narayana, New York ; Ann Taylor, Montreal.
   The Narayana reports having experienced strong gales and high seas ; vessel under two reefed top-sails ; was struck by a sea ; stove long-boat ; took away bulwarks on August 4th, at 6 p.m. in 49.5 N, 19 W.
   SAILEDMarte, Bantry.

   The late Paul Crowley, of Sovereign-street, Clonakilty, county of Cork, pensioner, by his last will bequeathed unto the Rev. Morgan Madden, parish priest of Clonakilty, the sum of £100 sterling, free of legacy duty, upon trust, to be applied to the use and benefit of the community of nuns known as “The Sisters of Mercy,” at Clonakilty. —Freeman.
   Mr. Andrew O'Reilly, formerly the Paris correspondent of the Times, died on Monday at the age of 79.
   MAJOR-GENERAL BUTLER.—An order made by Major- General Butler, dated New Orleans, June 30, runs thus :— “John W. Andrews exhibited a cross, the emblem of the suffering of Our Blessed Saviour, fashioned for a personal ornament, which he said was made from the bones of a Yankee soldier, and having shown this, and without rebuke, in the Louisiana Club, which claims to be composed of chivalric gentlemen :—it is therefore ordered that for this desecration of the dead he be confined at hard labour for two years on the fortifications at Ship Island, and that he be allowed no verbal or written communication to or with any one except through these head-quarters.”

   A GIGANTIC SKELETON.—In our notice of the National Cattle Show, we omitted mentioning a skeleton of a gigantic elk or stag, which was exhibited there by a man named Henihy, who resides at Shanradgate, in the city of Limerick. This curious and highly-interesting specimen of natural history is the remains of a class of animals long since extinct, and which in size far surpasses any of the species now known to exist. It was found about two months ago in the bog of Cullen, in the county of Tipperary, with about six feet of mould over it, but it must have been originally much deeper under ground, as several layers of turf had been taken from the place. The skeleton appears to be quite perfect, even the small bones of the legs and of the hoofs remaining, though they are entirely disjointed, but still they are quite sound. The teeth were also found with it, which are quite perfect. The only part which appears to have suffered is the snout, a small portion of which is absent. The height of the animal from the top of the back to the ground is about six feet six, much greater than that of an ordinary man, and the length is in proportion. The antlers, which are quite perfect, are magnificent, from their great breadth and length. Measuring along the curve from the head to the furthest point, they are about twelve feet long ; and a straight line drawn from the head to the same point would be about eight feet. A more splendid or stately looking animal than it must have been, when alive, could not be seen ; and even now if the skeleton were put together, and set up in a gentleman's hall, or in a museum, it would form a splendid ornament, and would be an object of the highest interest to students of natural history. The finder and present owner, Henihy, is a man of humble circumstances, and would, therefore, be glad to dispose of it for a price sufficient to remunerate him for the time and trouble it has cost him.—Morning News.
   CANTON, JUNE 27TH.—Extensive opium frauds have been discovered at Hong Kong. A Parsee firm is said to be implicated, and has stopped payment with liabilities amounting to a million and a half dols., and one half of the loss will fall on five banks. The American steamer Cortes has been destroyed by fire.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 21 August 1862
AT three o'clock this morning Mrs. Cunningham, who was stabbed by her husband a few weeks since in the breast, died from the effects of the injuries then sustained by her. Yesterday, there had been a slight improvement in her, and, though her recovery was not expected, it was thought that she might be able to linger some time longer ; but her strength was exhausted, and her wounds were of too dreadfully painful a character to enable her to hold on to life. It seems that the husband was under the influence of drink on the occasion of his having stabbed her, and she herself frequently stated, that when he was sober his treatment of her was usually kind.

   On the 20th inst., at her lodgings, in this city, the wife of Capt. Lane, J.P., Arlandstown, of a son.
   On the 16th inst., at Kingstown, the wife of Commissary-Gen. Power, C.B., of a son.

   On the 14th inst., at Creagh, Skibbereen, by the Rev. J. Allen, Louis Henry Clare, only son of the late Louis Henry Clare, Captain, Ceylon Rifles, to Sarah Penelope Lewis, youngest daughter of John Lewis, Esq., Skibbereeen.
   August 1, at New York, Peter Ferguson, Esq., Philadelphia, to Jane, relict of Kerry Tidmarsh, Esq., of Limerick.
   August 19, at Mallow Church, by the Rev. Allen Cliffe, Isaiah Corry Tandy, Esq., only son of Burton Tandy, Esq., late of Mornington House, County Meath, to Jane Charlotte, second daughter of Captain Coote, late of Her Majesty's 54th Regiment. 
   August 20, at St. Andrew's, Westland-row, Dublin, by the Archbishop of Dublin, Edmund Waterton, D.L., Knight Hospitaller of St. John of Jerusalem, and of the Order of Christ, Private Chamberlain to his Holiness Pius IX, only son of Charles Waterton, of Walton Hall, county of Yorkshire, Esq., to Josephine Margaret Alicia, second daughter of John Ennis, of Ballinaheen, county of Westmouth [sic], Esq., M.P., for Athlone.
   On the 16th inst., at St. Mary's Church, Islington, Mr. Henry Scott Simpson, of London, to Anna Sarah, eldest daughter, of the late Captain Robert John Saunders, R.A., Baggot-street, Dublin.

   August 13, at his residence, Timohol, Queen's County, Edward Dowling, Esq., deeply and deservedly regretted by a large circle of friends, to whom he was endeared for his many excellent qualities and Christian virtues. In him the poor of the locality have lost a kind benefactor, as he was ever ready to alleviate their wants, and promote their comfort and happiness, by every means in his power.
   On the 28th June, at Fernando Po, West Coast of Africa, William Hearne, Esq., aged 38, son of the late Edmund Hearne, Esq., of Glounawillow, Co. Waterford.

   THE VALE OF THE BLACKWATER.—The Rev. T. Cuyler, writing in the New York Independent, says :—“From Blarney is a short ride to Mallow, in the exquisite vale of the Blackwater. Oh! such a realm of loveliness! It was beautiful to heart-sickness. I longed to halt the train, and feed on the enchantment for hours. On this very landscape the eye of the poet Spenser once rested. From such scenes he drew his inspiration. Near Mallow he lived—in old Kilcoleman Castle—and there he entertained Sir Walter Raleigh as only one child of genius can entertain another. From this sylvan retreat he was forced to flee in 1598. Not far from Mallow now resides Lady Becher— once celebrated as Miss O'Neill, the great tragic actress. It is a singular coincidence that the first living tragédienne should have the same name with one who presents sacred truth with more of dramatic vividness than any living preacher.”

   The steamers Etna and Saxonia, from new York, have brought 923 passengers ; the Etna 478 steerage passengers, the majority of whom were of the labouring class. The above steamers have £80,000 in specie on freight for England.
   LIVERPOOL, THURSDAY.—Wm. Robert Taylor and his wife Martha Ann Taylor were tried before Baron Wilde to-day, for the murder of Mr. E. Van Mellor, estate agent at Manchester ; the female prisoner was acquitted, but her husband was found guilty of murder, and sentenced to death. The murders of the children of Taylor were not entered into.

   THE “DRAFT” EPIDEMIC.—The city is about to assume a very unhealthy aspect. We hear of an extraordinary number of halt, lame, and blind and chronic diseases reappearing with remarkable acuteness. The sufferers are mostly between eighteen and forty five.—Boston Post.

(From the Freeman Correspondent.)
   PORTADOWN, AUGUST 18.—A riot of a party nature took place in this town about 11 o'clock on the night of the 16th inst., between some Protestants and Roman Catholics, in which a man named John Redmond, a carpenter, and of the latter persuasion, received a stab of a knife in the breast. The cause of the riot was that the Protestant party called out, “To H--- with the Pope,” when the other party cheered for “Garryowen.” The former party having gone back into town for a reinforcement, immediately returned, when assaults were made freely on both sides, but hearing the police were approaching, they dispersed in opposite directions.

A BOAT accident occurred ysterday evening at Queenstown, which, very fortunately, did not end fatally. As the Albert, railway steamer, was about leaving the pier at Queenstown to meet the half-past four train from Passage, a boat belonging to the Hawke, guardship, crossed her bows for the purpose of entering the dock near the Club-house. The steamer was at the time put in motion, and ran into the centre of the boat, capsizing it and its occupants. These were two officers and four men. Three of the latter and one of the officers swam to the dock, and the fourth sailor climbed on board the steamer ; but, seeing the second officer struggling in the water, he jumped off again and swam with him to shore. The injuries sustained by the parties were confined to their apparel.
LAST evening a child named Hanora Sullivan fell out of a window in Henry-street, and was severely hurt in the head. She is at present under treatment in the North Infirmary.
   BELFAST, THURSDAY.—The King Oscar, from Belfast to Montreal, came into collision with a vessel unknown, between Mullhead and Torpoint, took her bulwarks, forward port anchor, and 15 fathoms of chain ; broke the jib-boom, tore fore top gallant mast, main top gallant gear, split the foresail, and fore and main top sails.
   MARSEILLES, AUGUST 20TH.—The Exine with above mails, arrived here this day at 5 p.m. The mails left for London at 10.35, p.m.
   SOUTHAMPTON, 20TH AUGUST.—The Tagus, from Lisbon on 15th inst., has arrived. She brings 10 passengers, specie valued at £998,000, 23½ chests lemons, 18 boxes grapes, 4 baskets of onions, 15 packages sundries. From Lisbon to Vigo the Tagus experienced strong northerly winds—thence to Southampton light, variable winds and fine weather. At 4 p.m. she spoke the s.s. Mangerton steering S.W. The Tyne, with outward mails of 9th arrived at Lisbon at 6 a.m. on 13th, and sailed same day, at 4 p.m. for the Brazils. The Portuguese corvette Bartholomew Dias, from Madeira, arrived at Lisbon on 14th inst.

August 20th, 1862.
   ARRIVEDEllen Morrison, Netherclift, New York, maize ; Eurdyce, Comley, Cardenas, sugar ; Crimea, Nelson, New York, wheat ; Etna Steamer, New York, for Liverpool, and proceeded ; Isabella, Martin, London, for Madras, to embark troops ; Thor, Hellberg, Montreal, maize.
   SAILEDStefano, for Alloa ; Mincio, Limerick ; Return, New York ; Spring Flower, Bristol ; Albion, Granton ; Try Again, Quebec.
(By Magnetic Telegraph.)
   ARRIVEDRunnymeade, Bahia ; Brazil, Liverpool, for Bangor, leaky, and rudder-head gone ; Platto, from New York ; E. D., Salonica, for Cork ; Aquila, New York.
   SAILEDJ. Gilchrist, for London.

(Before the MAYOR, Messrs. REEVES and JOHNSON.)
CAPTAIN SOMERVILLE, of Skibbereen, preferred a complaint against Patrick Driscoll, car driver, of having overcharged him. The prosecutor said that he had engaged the defendant to drive him from Cork to Tramore House. He remained there twenty minutes and then drove to Cleve Hill, and after a stay there drove back to Tramore House. The charge for all was 3s. 6d., and complainant paid that sum and gave him 6d. for himself. The defendant, however, was dissatisfied with what he had been paid, and claimed 4s. as the proper fare.
   The defendant stated that he met Capt. Somerville at the Cork and Passage Railway terminus, and drove him and three ladies to Mr. O'Leary's, Parade, and waited there fifteen minutes for them.
   Capt. Somerville—That was particularly understood.
   The defendant said he would not charge for it ; but his fare for the whole drive was 4s.
   The Inspector of cars said that, at the outside the fare was no more than 3s.
   The bench, accordingly, fined defendant 2s. 6d., including costs.
   The Inspector summoned several carmen for being off their stands. Owing, however, to his representing that their conduct was generally good, the bench imposed only a small fine on each.
   A woman named Julia Murphy, residing in Malachy's- lane, aged about 23, deaf, and by no means prepossessing, brought a charge of the above nature against Michael Brien, a rivetter, employed by Mr. Robinson, shipbuilder. The assault was alleged to have been committed on the evening of Monday last in the house in which complainant lived. The information stated that when Brien attempted to abuse the young woman she locked herself in her room ; that he burst in the lock, threw her on a bed, and succeeded in violating her.
   Mr. Blake, who appeared for the complainant, said he believed the prisoner was prepared to marry the woman.
   The Mayor—Well, I think it would be as good to postpone the case.
   Mr. Blake—Let Constable Hosford go for the priest.
   The Mayor—Oh, postpone it until to-morrow.
   Mr. Blake—Would your worship send the young lady down to him in the meantime?
   The Mayor—It is better to postpone it.
   Constable Hosford—I don't think the prisoner will be satisfied to marry her.
   The case was finally postponed until to-morrow morning.

(From the Daily Express of this day.)
   The suspicions which we expressed about the Tuscarora have not, it seems, been unfounded. An unexpected discovery was made in Belfast on Tuesday which accounts for her restless and furtive movements. It is now evident that the authorities had reason to believe that she came into the Irish ports with some sinister object, and the Ajax was told off, like an able-bodied policeman for special duty, to watch her. In his presence she behaved irreprochably, as characters “well known to the police” generally do when they see the constable near, or perhaps get a peep at his baton peeping out of his pocket like an Armstrong gun at a port hole. Watching her opportunity, however, she slipped away from Kingstown, and, finding none of the force there ready to arrest her, she proceeded to take away surreptitiously a quantity of coal, which she had been, until then, vainly trying to obtain. She was detected before she had time to carry it off, and was ordered to leave the port within 24 hours. Now, seriously, this is an infraction of the law of neutral Powers, which requires the energetic interference of the Government. A vessel of war is only entitled once in three months to coal at a neutral port, and that for the purpose of proceeding home. The Tuscarora has obtained coal at a British port within the last three months, but instead of returning to America, has been lying in wait for Confederate ships. This is a gross violation of the neutrality laws, and is the less to be tolerated in the case of this vessel, which has been especially troublesome and insolent—setting defiance to the regulations of the British Government for the strict maintenance of neutrality, and yet loudly denouncing the Government, even in our own ports, for unfair and impartial dealing. There is a practical lesson to be drawn from this transgression, for, as we have already intimated, it shows the necessity for keeping a sufficient naval force stationed at the principal harbours, to enforce obedience to British law ; and the people of Belfast have just reason to complain that such an important port should be left unprotected.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 22 August 1862
A PRIVATE investigation was held to-day in the magistrates' room at the Police Court, before Mr. W. H. Lyons and Mr. Orme, R.M., into the charge of violation brought by Julia Murphy, a young woman about twenty-three years of age, living in Malachi's-lane, against Michael Brien, a rivetter, employed in the dockyard of Mr. Robinson. Mr. Blake appeared for complainant and Mr. Julian for defendant. The accused, it appears, offered to marry the complainant and make an “honest woman” of her ; but her father would not consent to such a settlement. She has no personal attractions, is very deaf, and almost a simpleton ; and under those circumstances the father naturally considers that Brien proposes marriage merely as a ruse to escape the legal punishment of his crime, and that, the ceremony completed, he would desert her. The additional evidence offered to-day was of a woman named Sally Manning whom the complainant called on after having been abused, and who found her with her clothes torn and disordered. The magistrates ordered information to be taken against Brien, and stated that they would accept bail for him—himself in £50, and two sureties of £25 each.

AT three o'clock on Tuesday, Mr. Patrick Sheehan, auctioneer, submitted to auction an extensive business- house and premises, situated in the Market-square, held under a lease of 58 years, and yeilding a profit rent of £27 15s. per annum. The sale took place at the reading-room of the Young Men's Society, before a large number of town and country people. The bidding was opened by Mr. Florence O'Reardon, whose offer was quickly followed by Messrs. C. R. O'Callaghan, Charles J. Daly, Thomas O'Callaghan, and Hugh Keller—and it was finally knocked down to Mr. C. R. O'Callaghan for £300, after being briskly competed for by the foregoing parties. The house was the property of Mr. William Sheehan, and the sale was admirably carried out by Mr. Patrick Sheehan.—Kanturk Correspondent.

   At Clonkerdin House, Co. Waterford, on the 17th inst., the wife of John Quinlan, Esq., of a daughter.
   At Mallow on the 21st inst., the wife of Robert Wynne, Solicitor, of a son.
   On the 21st inst., at Montennote in this city, the wife of S. Edward Prosser, Esq., of a daughter.

   On the 19th inst., at Stoke Church, Devon, by the Rev. St. Aubyn[,] Alfred Jenkins, Esq., to Anne, youngest daughter of the late J. H. Boghurst, Esq., of Haulbowline Island Cork.
   In Dublin, on the 19th inst., by the Rev. M. O'Donnell, P.P., Abbeyside, Dungarvan, Frances Matilda, second daughter of the late Dominick Tallon, Esq., of Lackan Lodge, county Waterford, to George B. Hearn, Esq., son of the late John D. Hearn, Esq., of Ballinamuck, same county.
   August 18, at Bootherstown Catholic Church, Mr. Michael J. Hogan, Lower Baggott-street, Dublin, to Mary Josephine, youngest daughter of Mr. James Forde, of Blackrock.

   On the 19th inst., at his residence, Mespil, Upper Leeson- street, after a protracted illness, Major William Percy Lea, late 87th R. I. Fusiliers, eldest son of the late Samuel Percy Lea, Esq.
   On the 19th August, George Brasier, Esq., of Mitchelsfort, aged 68 years, universally regretted.
   At Youghal on the 20th inst., Mr. G. B. Heasley, for many years Collector of Taxes—deeply regretted by all who knew him.
   August 20, at Beech Park, Templeogue, Arthur, third son of Thomas Croker, Solicitor, Lower Dominick-st.
   August 18, Anne, relict of Samuel Dopping, of Lotown, Esq., Westmeath.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 23 August 1862
TWO women were brought yesterday morning, by Constable Hosford, before Mr. W. H. Lyons and Mr. Orme, R.M., at the Police Office, on complaint of annoying a young woman who is bringing a charge of rape against a man name Brien. Last evening a crowd of men and women, amongst whom were the prisoners, pursued the young woman through several streets on her way home from the office, hooting and shouting at her. This day the same disgraceful conduct was repeated. The magistrates severely reprimanded the prisoners, and discharged them, cautioning them of the consequences of appearing again before them on the same charge.

THE second exhibition of this society for the present year was held on Wednesday, 20th inst., in the beautiful demesne of Ballyellis, which the proprietor, Mr. Kilner Brasier, kindly placed at the service of the committee. In one of the most picturesque sites, and near the mansion-house was erected the capacious marquee of the society ; and the large assemblage of the admirers of Flora from many miles around, evinced the increasing interest which is felt for the success of the society, and the pure and elevating enjoyment which such displays afford. . . .
   The weather was all that could be desired, and the excellent band of the North Cork Rifles contributed largely to the pleasure of a most successful day. The exertions of the Honorary Secretary for the success of the exhibition in all its departments, whilst deserving of the highest praise, have been amply rewarded by the success of the late show. . . .
   On Thursday evening, William Herdman, whose sentence was commuted by the Lord Lieutenant from death to penal servitude for life, was removed from the county prison, in custody of two members of the constabulary force, for Dublin. He was conveyed from the jail to the Duke of Cambridge steamer in an inside car, and the time was so arranged that the convict arrived on the quay only a short time before the sailing of the steamer for Dublin. When taken out of the car, he was recognised by some people who were standing alongside the steamer, and in a short time a great number of lookers on assembled to get a glimpse of the wretched man. Herdman was dressed in convict's clothes—grey trousers, jacket, and cap (branded)—and evidently did not wish to meet the gaze of anyone, as, with the consent of the police, he seated himself in the most secluded place in the steerage. Immediately upon his arrival on the vessel, his wretched wife went aboard, threw her arms around his neck, and wept bitterly, and was soon after joined by the son of the convict, who, with his mother, has wrought so incessantly and devotedly on behalf of the unfortunate man. Herdman appears to have suffered dreadfully since his trial. He is worn and emaciated to an extent that it would be scarcely possible to conceive, and, to all appearance, the remission of the capital sentence is not an extension of his life for a long period. His wife was allowed to proceed with him to Dublin, where, according to the terms of the sentence she must separate from him for ever in this world. The convict's last reminiscence of Belfast was his son sending him aboard the vessel a small quantity of fruit, which he purchased after having bade his father a final farewell. The convict, on leaving the jail, thanked the governor and the officers for the manner in which he had been treated while there ; and to the head constable when the steamer was about to start, he also expressed his thanks for the civility which had been shown him.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 25 August 1862
   On Wednesday morning, at his house on the Mall, the wife of Mr. Robert M'Cowen, of a son.
   On the 2nd inst., at Clonakilty, the wife of Henry Boyle Travers, Esq., of a daughter.
   On the 18th inst., at Bellarena, county Londonderry, the wife of Sir Frederick Wm. Heygate, Bart., M.P., of a son.

   On the 21st inst., at Heytesbury, Wilts, by the Hon. and Rev. Charles Harris, the Hon. Edward Donough O'Brien, eldest son of Lord Inchquin, to the Hon. Emily Holmes A'Court, second daughter of Lord Heytesbury.
   On the 21st inst., at St. Peter's Church, Dublin, by the Rev. J. J. Macsorley, Thomas Parker Edwards, Esq., A.B., T.C.D., to Jane Elizabeth Evanson, widow of the late Wm. Swanton, Esq., Ballydehob, in this county.
   On the 19th inst., at St. Mary's Church, Donnybrook, Isaac Price, Esq., A.B., T.C.D., to Catherine, only child of the late Samuel Whinrey Dickinson, Esq., of Ashmount, King's county, and niece to Sir Richard Griffith, Bart.
   On Thursday, the 21st inst., at St. James's Catholic Church, Spanish-place, by the Right Rev. Bishop Vaughan, Henry Charles Silverton, Esq., of Minster-Acres, Northumberland, to Caroline Filomina, eldest daughter of Edward Joseph Weld, Esq., of Lulworth, Dorsetshire.
   On the 21st inst., at St. James's Church, Westbourne-terrace, by the Rev. A. J. Stopford, Rear-Admiral Jas. J. Stopford, second son of the late Admiral the Hon. Sir Robert Stopford, G.C.B., to Fanny, youngest daughter of the late Lieu.-Col. Gubbins, C.B.
   On the 21st inst., at Ash, near Sandwich, John George Barry, third son of Charles Barry, Esq., of The Priory, Orpington, Kent, to Mary Jane, eldest daughter of Charles Delmar, Esq., of Guilton Rectory, Ash.
   On Saturday, at Meadowlands, Tralee, aged 94 years, Mr. Robt. Payne.
   On the 20th inst., at No. 8, Henrietta-street, Cavendish- square, Flora Catherine, the beloved daughter of Vice- Admiral Manners, aged 15.—R.I.P.

   The following sums have been received by the Rev. Canon Corkran, for E. K. B. :—William Keneflick, Esq., £1 ; Rev. Pierce O'Donnell, C.C., Dalkey, 5s. (stamps) ; Rev. P. Porter, P.P., Cloucharnalie, 5s. (stamps), county Donegal, Derry.
   LYING-IN HOSPITAL—Six suits of Baby Clothes from Mrs. Dr. Barry.
   THE Trustees of the North Charitable Infirmary beg gratefully to acknowledge the receipt of a donation of £20 from the National Bank, per J. D. Carnegie, Esq., Manager.

August 22d, 1862.
(By Magnetic Telegraph.)
   ARRIVEDMarguerita, from Montreal ; Florist, Paraiba ; Francesco, Guirgevo, for Cork ; Nuova Providenza, New York ; Minstrel Boy, Sundswald, for Cork ; Asia, from Sulina ; Minone, New York ; Norma, New York ; Lancet, Montreal ; Evadne, New York ; Zetto, Galatz ; Suttora, Sulina ; Nereidan, Mazagan ; Norge, New York ; Caremeroi, Sulina ; Lord Elgin.
   SAILEDLydia, for Alloa ; Margaretta, Inverness ; Ida, Glo'ster ; Brittania, for Dublin ; Delphin, Antwerp ; Runnymede, Greenock ; Florence, Antwerp ; Napoleon, Sunderland ; La Felice, London ; Ominia Adelphia, Youghal ; Cornubia (s.s.), for Glasgow ; Mary, for Newport ; Due Fratelli, Cardiff ; Gnea, Cardiff ; Joseph Arle, Cardiff.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 27 August 1862
August 26th, 1862.
   ARRIVEDEdgardo, Morilla, Ibrail, maize ; Giovanni, Schiafini, Marianople, grain, for Cork ; Thomas, English, Ibrail, grain, for Cork.
   SAILEDUrda, Rod, Tralee, grain
(By Magnetic Telegraph.)
   ARRIVEDFavourite, Bahia ; Crown, Bahia ; John, New York ; H.M.S. Himalaya.
   SAILEDYoung Novo Scotian, Glasgow ; H. Steinorth, Glasgow ; Aquilia, Silloth ; Ellonia, Glo'ster ; Trinidad, Bremen.

   August 23, at Fitzwilliam-place, Dublin, the wife of the Hon. R. Monck, Coldstream Guards, of a son.
   August 23, at Kildare-street, Dublin, the wife of Dr. Porter, of a son.
   In Tipperary, the wife of Patrick C. Howley, Esq., R.M., of a daughter.
   At D'Olier-street, Dublin, the wife of James J. M'Grath, Esq., of a daughter.
   On the 21st inst., at 108, Summer Hill, Dublin, Mrs. Queale, wife of Wm. Queale, Esq., late of Her Majesty's 9th Regiment, of a son.
   On the 24th inst., at 10, Peter-place, Adelaide-road, Dublin, the wife of F. L. Wiber, Esq., of a daughter.
   On the 20th inst., at North Camp, Aldershot, the wife of Col. T. Addison, C.B., 2d Queen's Royal Regiment, of a daughter.

   On the 21st inst., at St. Pancras Church, Euston-square, London, Matthew Cassan Browne, Esq., youngest son of the late Very Rev. Peter Browne, Dean of Ferns, to Josephine, youngest daughter of the late Wm. Swan, of 31, North Frederick-street, in the city of Dublin, Esq.
   August 19, at the Catholic Church, North William-street, Dublin, John Delany, Esq., of Windsor House, Fairview, Strand, to Bridget, eldest daughter of Mr. Bernard Conroy, of Ballybough-bridge.
   August 25, at the Cathedral, Marlborough-street, John R. Roche, Esq., to Alicia Mary, only child of Laurence Conrahy, Esq., Belvidere-place.
   On the 23d inst., at Booterstown Church, Daniel Deacon, Esq., Quartermaster 1st Battalion 11th Regiment, to Jane, third daughter of the late John Ireland, Esq., Mer Vue, Booterstown, and grand-daughter of the late James Ireland, Esq., Lieutenant and Adjutant 93d, Sutherland Highlanders.

   At Dubuque, on the 21st instant, John O'Sullivan, Esq., in the 62d year of his age, son of the late Morty John O'Sullivan, Bere, of Derroughamede, county Cork.
   On the 26th inst., at No. 5, Grenville-place, John, fourth son of Henry Unkles.
   August 23, at Fitzwilliam-place, Dublin, William Frederick, the infant son of the Hon. R. Monck, Coldstream Guards.
   August 20, at Rosshire Lodge, in the county of Donegal, Ralph Mansfield, the infant son of John S. Charley, Esq.
   August 23, at Dalymount-terrace, Phibsboro', Mary Ryan.
   At Bray, George Evans, Esq., of Dungar Park, Roscrea.
    August 24, at Adelaide-terrace, Donnybrook, Charles Basil, youngest son of D. B. Dunne.
   On the 25th inst., at No. 28, Mountpleasant-square, Dublin, in his 89th year, Geo. Belas, Esq.
   On the 25th instant, at the Royal Military Infirmary, Phoenix Park, Dublin, of consumption, Emma, the beloved wife of Richd. Cooper Todd, Esq., Staff Surgeon, aged 27 years.
   On the 25th inst., Meath-terrace, Bray, Alice, daughter of the late Wm. Fry, Esq., of Dublin.

   Signor Verdi is not content with producing his new opera, The Force of Destiny, at the capital, but proposes five different capitals for its debut on the same day.
   A WOMAN IN MAN'S ATTIRE.—At the Gateshead Police-court last week, John M'Cabe and Maria Dixon were placed in the dock as suspicious characters. Notwithstanding the difference of sex, the magistrates found it necessary to ask which was M'Cabe and which was Dixon, for on the names being called, two persons, both apparently stout, strong lads, were brought forward. It appeared, however from the statement of Mr. Superintendent Schorey, that Dixon was a female in man's clothes, and that on Saturday night she and the male prisoner went into the Steamboat public-house, and sold to the landlady some petticoats and other female habiliments. Suspicion being aroused, information was sent to the police, the two parties were taken into custody, and Dixon, on being asked if she was female, acknowledged the soft impeachment. She was a roundly formed, strong-looking person, and with hair cut short and parted on the left side, might well be mistaken for a young man. She had pale blue eyes, and a round and not unpleasing face. Her companion, Mr. M'Cabe, might be either an agricultural labourer or a navvie. He was a young fellow, not ill-looking, and wore a smock and red neckerchief. He said that he had met the female on Friday, and that they had agreed to go harvesting together, she putting on man's clothes, because she could earn more money in the male character than in her own. From questions put to her by the bench, however, it appeared that this was not a new freak. She said she was a native of the Highlands, but had been in these parts about two years. She had generally worn male attire, because she could get more money by working as a man, and she had worked at Witton Park for nearly twelve months ; she had also worked at Spennymoor Iron Works, and had been working down a caol pit at Leasingthorpe. At Bishop Auckland she had a quarrel with a man about wages, in consequence of which she was sent for three months to Durham gaol. There her sex was discovered, and since she came out she had been in female garb. She had put herself, she said, into man's clothes to work for money to take her to Australia. She added that she was twnty-four years of age. The bench recommended her to assume her proper attire, and on her promising to do so she and the male prisoner were discharged. Amongst other articles found in her possession, in a bundle which she carried about her, were a looking-glass, a small photograph of a female, who, she said, had fallen in love with her, and a lock of hair presented to her by another female, who had been captivated by what appeared to be a very handsome boy of nineteen or twenty years.—Sunderland Herald.

   The American Federal frigate Tuscarora arrived on Monday morning at Plymouth and anchored in the Sound—last near Falmouth, where she put in on Saturday afternoon, and having been warned by the collector of Customs there that she could not be allowed to remain more than 24 hours, left again on Sunday afternoon. The Tuscarora is alleged to be leaky. Her captain applied this afternoon to the Port Admiral for permission to remain at Plymouth to repair damages, and was referred to the Lords of the Admiralty, to whom the request was telegraphed. Their Lordships declined assuming the responsibility of granting the request, and referred the captain to Her Majesty's Ministers. It is said that the captain declined applying to that quarter.

   Through Right Rev. Dr. Delany for E. K. B., from J. R., £1 Rev. P. Bradley, P.P., 5s.
   The Rev. D. Lynch, C.C., Boherbee, county Cork, begs to acknowledge most gratefully, the sum of £5 from Richard Longfield, Esq., Longueville ; and £1 from his land agent, Richard Smith, Esq., towards the repairs of the Boherbee and Kiskeam Chapels.
Submitted by dja

Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.