The Cork Examiner, 3 October 1861

Right Rev. Dr. Delany £100
Very Rev. Dean Murphy 100
J. J. Murphy & Co. 200
Rev. Maurice Power, P.P. 200
Dr. Lyons, M.P., D.L. 100
Mr. Thomas Hayes 100
Mr. Martin Hayes 100
Very Rev. Neal M'Cabe 100
Mr. John Nicholas Murphy, D.L. 100
Mr. James Murphy, Ringmahon 100
Very Rev. John Falvey, P.P. 100
Mr. David Cagney, J.P. 100
C. and T. O'Sullivan, Butter Exchange 100
Rev. Augustine Maguire 100
Mr. Jeremiah Buckley, Butter Exchange 100
Miss Mary Russell, Mallow-lane 100
Mrs. Catherine Hallissy 100
Mrs. O'Connor, North Main-st. 100
Rev. P. J. Conway, St. Mary's 100
Mrs. Quin and grandchildren, Great George's-street 100
Mrs. Mark O'Brien, King-st. 100
Miss O'Brien, do. 050
Miss Mary C. O'Brien, do. 050
Mr. Timothy Duff, Mallow-lane 100
Miss Drinan, George's-quay 100
Mr. Cornelius Cremen, Middle-road 100
Mrs. Mary Mahony 100
Mr. Patrick Scannell, Douglas-st. 0150
Very Rev. Archdeacon O'Shea 0100
Mr. Dominick Cronin, Butter Exchange 0100
Mr. Cornelius Moynihan, T.C., do. 0100
Mr. Daniel Mahony & Son, do. 0100
Mr. D. O'Connor, do. 0100
Messrs. Daly, Brothers, do. 0100
Rev. Canon Browne 0100
Mr. Terence M'Mahon, Butter Exchange 0100
Mr. Alexander M'Carthy, T.C., do. 0100
Mr. Wm. O'Keeffe 0100
Mr. James Dwyer, Great George's-street 0100
Mr. Thomas Moffit, do. 0100
Mr. Wm. M'Carthy 0100
Mr. Denis B. O'Connor, M.D. 0100
Mr. Murphy, Butter Exchange 0100
Mr. M. F., Watercourse 0150
Mr. James O'Connor, South-terrace 0100
Mr. Mr. Charles Daly & Co. 0100
Mr. Michael Daly 0100
Mr. Stephen M'Kenna, T.C. 0100
Mr. John O'Mahony, South Main-st. 0100
Mr. Wm. Hegarty, T.C. 0100
Mr. John Finn, T.C. 0100
North Convent 0100
Mrs. D. Burke 0100
Mr. Sutton, Waterloo-road 0100
Mrs. O'Brien, Douglas-street 0100
Mr. Still, Gas-works 0150
Mr. Riordan, Mallow-lane 0100
Mrs. Riordan, do. 0100
Mr. William Hackett, Charlotte-quay 0100
Mr. Edward Eames 0100
Mr. Michael Dunn, Watercourse 0100
Mr. Doyle, Prinses-street 0100
Mr. James M'Donnell, National Bank 0100
Mr. Henry Roche, Old George's-street 0100
Mr. Dooly, Douglas-street 0100
Mr. Reid, Barrack-street 0100
Mr. Cornelius O'Sullivan, Great-George's-street 086
A Friend 070
Mr. P. Shea, Duncan-street 070
Miss Coleman, Myrtle-hill Terrace 076
Mr. Curtayne 070
Mrs. Alton, Goulnaspurrah 080
Mr. E. Murphy, Mallow-lane 066
Mr. T. T. Murphy, Sydney-place 050
Mr. Michael Gould, Alderman 050
Mr. John M'Namara, South-terrace 050
Mr. James Harding, Butter Exchange 050
Mr. Thomas Forrest, do. 050
Mr. John Desmond, do. 050
Mr. Timothy Flavin, do. 050
Mr. Thomas Cahill, do. 050
Mr. David Fitgerald [sic] do. 050
Mr. John Mahoney, do. 050
Mr. Edward Mahoney, do. 050
T. and D. M'Carthy, do. 050
Mr. C. O'Regan, do. 050
Mr. E. O'Sullivan, do. 050
Mr. P. T. Riordan, do. 050
Mr. Richard Foley, Merchant's-quay 050
Mr. Florence Sullivan, Church-street 050
Mr. Michael M'Auliffe, Sunday's-well 050
Mr. Egan, Union-quay 050
Mr. Cussen 050
John George MacCarthy, Ald. 050
Mr. Baily, South-mall 050
Mr. Cremin, Old George's-street 050
Mr. Cornelius O'Leary, Mulgrave-road 050
Mr. John Harding, Butter Exchange 050
Mr. Daly, Salt and Lime Works 050
Mrs. Bridget O'Regan, Fair-lane 050
Mr. O'Connor, Sunday's-well 050
Mr. Ramade, Warren's-place 050
Mr. Buckley, Henry-street 050
Mr. Tinnam, Shandon-street 050
Mr. Hennessy 050
Mr. Cleary, Market-street 050
Mr. T. O'Callaghan, Mallow-lane 050
Mr. Slattery, do. 050
Mr. E. Buckley, do. 050
Mr. Crowley, Patrick-street 050
Mr. P. Ahern 050
Mr. Barry M'Mullan 050
Mr. Sylvester O'Sullivan 050
Mr. Shea, Barrack-street 050
Mr. Thomas Cavanagh, Market-place 050
Mr. Owen Ahern, Sullivan's-quay 050
Mr. John Madden, Bridge-street 050
Mr. Bartholomew Daly, Patrick-street 050
Mr. Mulcahy, do. 050
Mr. Shea, South-terrace 050
Mr. James Brown, Warren's-place 050
Miss Wall, George's-quay 050
Mr. Twomey, English-market 050
Mr. Mahony, do. 050
Mr. Daly, Butter Exchange 050
Mr. M'Mahon 050
Mr. O'Connor 050
Mr. Vuille, Marlborough-street 050
Mr. Francis Staunton, do. 050
Mr. John M'Sweeney, Old George's-street 050
Mr. Bury 050
Mr. M'Donnell, North Main-street 050
Mrs. Riordan, do. 050
Miss O'Regan, Patrick's-hill 050
Mr. James M'Sweeney, Kyrl's-quay 050
Mr. Fitzgerald, Adelaide-street 050
Messrs. Beamish and Crawford's men 250
Messrs. J. J. Murphy's men 200
Messrs. Hegarty Brothers' men 136
Mr. John Hegarty's men 100
Vegetable and English Markets 4100
Clothes and Meat Market, North Main-street 1180
Messrs. J. Carmichal and Co.'s Assistants 1116
Cork and Passage Railway men 096
In smaller sums 4200

   BANKRUPTS.—John Halligan, of Cocklehill, near Loughgall, county Armagh, linen manufacturer and farmer, to surrender on Tuesday, the 15th of October, and on Saturday, the 2d Nov. George Williamson of Sligo, county Sligo, seedsman, to surrender on Tuesday, the 15th of October, and on Saturday, the 2d Nov.
   LURGAN, 1ST OCT.—To-day being Lurgan petty sessions day, and it having been rumoured that summonses would be applied for against a large number of Roman Catholics for riot, assault, and participation in the fatal affray on the 12th July, 1860, at Derrymacash, the court-house was densely crowded. Mr. Sheals, of Belfast, appeared on behalf of the Catholics, but the Orangemen were not represented, although it is believed that two legal gentlemen had been employed by them. Only five of the Orange party appeared, and after having been examined by the presiding magistrates, summonses were granted against Charles M'Cann, Terence M'Ilduff, James Doon, Alice M'Ilduff, Catherine Doon, Denis Stewart, and Murtagh M'Ilduff. It is worthy of remark that Charles M'Cann is the man who was seriously wounded and crippled for life, and that the individuals who have now come forward after a lapse of 15 months acknowledged having been in the procession, and two of them are only a short time out of Armagh gaol, after having been convicted at the assizes of riot and unlawful assembly. After some deliberation, the bench decided on issuing the summonses on Thursday next, when a special day will be appointed for hearing. The magistrates were—Messrs. Miller, R.M., Hancock and Greer. The renewal of the affair has caused considerable excitement here. —Freeman.

BURGLARY.—Yesterday morning the establishment of Mr. Joseph Wright, at the corner of Patrick-street and Grand Parade presented the appearance of having been broken into the previous night, and a cash box in the office containing 15s. 10d. was found to have been carried off. A pane of glass had been removed from over the hall door leading into Patrick-street, and another pane from a small window over that, through which it was supposed the burglar had entered, and the staple of the door on the way from thence to the shop was found to have been wrenched away. Head-Constables Roe and Mills examined the place closely yesterday, and came to the conclusion that no burglary had been committed, and that the party who had committed the robbery was inside. The principal manager of the establishment had placed a large sum in the desk in the office the day before, but had taken the precaution of removing it in the evening, but whether the guilty party or parties had been led on by the hope of obtaining this or not is not quite certain.
   A portion of the Channel fleet is expected shortly at Plymouth to make good defects. The screw steamship Hero, 89, Captain Alfred P. Ryder, has lost canvass, and some of the others are deficient of spars. There is a dock vacant at Keyham Steamyard should any of the ships require docking.
A BOY BITTEN BY A DOG.—Yesterday several boys were playing about Church-street, when the cap of one of them was thrown by another into a yard belonging to Mr. Fitzgerald. A little fellow named Edward Naughton undertook to recover the cap, and got over a wall into the yard for that purpose, but the minute he reached the ground at the other side he was attacked by two ferocious bulldogs, and before he could escape, the calf of one of his legs was severely lacerated by their teeth. He was conveyed to the North Infirmary.

   Sept. 26, at North Brixton, London, the wife of Robert H. Boyce, Esq., Royal Engineers Department, War office, of a son.
   Sept. 30, at 12, Herbert-street, Dublin, the Hon. Mrs. M'Evoy, of a daughter.
   Sept. 30, at Pembroke-road, the wife of John Wakely, Esq., Ballyhurly, King's County, of a son.
   Sept. 20, at Plymouth, the wife of Captain Priestly, 32nd Light Infantry, of a daughter.
   Sept. 25, at Match-street, Dublin, the wife of A. H. Grayton, barrister-at-law, of a daughter.

   Oct. 1, at the Cathedral, Marlborough-street, John J. Jones, Esq., Constabulary, to Maria Theresa, only daughter of James Dwyer, Esq., Q.C.

   IN July last, at the Propaganda, Rome, of tertian fever, THOMAS, son of Mr. GEORGE LUCAS, of this city. The deceased was a young student at the College, and in that capacity had won the respect and esteem of all who knew him. His superiors speak of his docility and unexceptionable conduct as only being equalled by his application to his studies. As a marked compliment to his memory, the CARDINAL PREFECT of the College wrote the Right Rev. Dr. CONNOLLY, Bishop of Halifax, on the mission under whose care the deceased was destined to be, an account of the circumstances of his death, in which he speaks of him as a bereaved father of his dearest child. In all relations of life he obtained the love of those with whom he came in contact, and he is deeply regretted by a large circle of friends. —R.I.P.
   At his residence, Cloyne, James Cahill, Esq., after a long illness.
   On the 2d inst., at Ballymartle, the residence of his brother, Horace Townsend Newman Meade, Esq., M.D., of Queenstown.
   On the 28th ult., at Clonakilty, in the 40th year of her age, Margaret, the wife of Mr. Charles Walsh. May she rest in peace.
   On the 28th ult. at Rathcoony-house, Captain John Michael Aylward, aged 81 years, of Balnagar, county Galway, and formerly of H.M.'s 5th Dragoon Guards.
   On the 27th September, at Blackrock, Dublin, Jane, relict of Captain Theophilus Patterson, R.M., late of Great George's-street.
   Sept. 30, at his residence, No. 47, Dawson- street, Dublin, Mr. A. Torkington, after a painful illness.
   Sept. 30, at Monsktown, near Dublin, Anne, widow of Richard Kelly, of Weston, county Meath, Esq., and formerly Lieut.-Col. of the 34th Regiment.
   Sept. 29, at Arbutus Cottage, Marino-avenue, Clontarf, Barbara Mary, wife of Valentine Wall, Esq., and daughter of the late H. d'Esterre, Esq., of Limerick.

At three o'clock, yesterday evening, before Mr. Tarrant and Captain Martin, Richard Wake, a sailor on board the Great Eastern, brought a charge against the commander, Captain Walker, of ill treatment. Mr. P. Barry appeared for Wake, and Mr. H. H. O'Bryen for the defendant. The particulars of the case were that, on Monday, Wake asked the chief mate for liberty to go on shore to see a magistrate, and he was refused it. The following day he repeated his request, and was then put in irons from eleven o'clock in the day until seven o'clock on Tuesday, and subsequently threatened to be put in irons again if he did not go about his business. He did not ask the Captain the liberty he required, because it was an understanding amongst the crew that the Captain could only be communicated with through the officers. For the defence the chief mate, John M'Allister, stated that the complainant could, if he had chosen, have addressed the Captain. The magistrates considering the charge against Captain Walker was not maintained, dismissed it. Afterwards the complainant swore informations against John M'Alister, chief mate, and Robert Hayes, boatswain, of the Great Eastern, for having, without justifiable cause, placed him in irons. The case will be heard on Monday next.

MADE of Plain and Fancy DOESKINS, in
great variety, ready made to order,
3 2,  P A T R I C K - S T R E E T.

   Corps of Royal Marines—Captain and Brevet Major Charles Ogilvy Hamley, to be Lieutenant-Colonel, vice Spalding, to be retired full-pay ; First Lieutenant John Cobb, to be Captain, vice Hamley, promoted ; Second Lieutenant William Rolt Triscott, to be First Lieutenant, vice Cobb, promoted.
   NAVAL APPOINTMENTS.—Surgeon—E. M'Sorley (additional), to the Nile. Assistant Surgeons—Francis Greene, to the St. Vincent ; James A. Skene, to the hero ; Benj. Crabbe (additional), to the Fisgard ; E. H. Evans, to Greenwich Hospital ; R. E. P. Lawrenson, to Plymouth Hospital ; M. M. Mugrath, to the Chatham Division of Marines ; George F. Elliott (additional), to the Wellesley ; Dr. James Paterson (additional) to the Victory. Midshipmen—Francis R. H. Yorke, to the Trafalgar ; Horatio N. S. Hood, to the Revenge. Naval Cadets—W. Henn, George S. Smith, Allan R. Woodriff, Alfred S. White, Charles B. Neate, to the Trafalgar ; Arthur J. Hamilton, to the London ; Sidney M. E. Wilmot, to the Emerald ; Hay A. P. Probyn, to the Narcissus ; George G. Crompton, to the Aboukir. Naval Cadets (Nominated)—C. E. Grissell and F. O. D. Wright. Naval Cadets as Supernumeraries—Hugh G. Gough, Archibald O. Hill, and J. S. L. H. Mackinnon, to the Marlborough ; Charles C. Wood, J. H. Symons, Frederick Papillon, Sidney G. Smitt, Alexander J. Leith, to the Nile.
Submitted by dja

The Cork Examiner, 5 October 1861

   We mention cursorily in our last issue that one of the Hon. Members for this city had a very narrow escape from drowning in Tramore, on Tuesday. We learn that Mr. Blake went to bathe at a time when the tide was full out, and at low water spring tides the water recedes so far as to bring some dangerous holes within reach. These holes are formed by the violent action of the waves during storms, and are not always in the same spot. Mr. Blake was in company with Master Gallwey, son of Henry Gallwey, Esq., who remained on shore in charge of Blake's dog, and while doing so he perceived Mr. Blake struggling in the water, and gave the alarm to a bathing man, named Kelly, who immediately got the life buoy, which was so kindly provided some years since by the late Mrs. W. Malcomson, and which is always kept ready at No. 1 bathing box, and which has been the means of saving many lives. Some little delay occurred in consequence of the fouling of the line, but Kelly threw off his boots, and rushed with the life buoy into the water, and flung it to Mr. Blake, who had twice sunk, and rose to the surface just in time to seize the buoy, and he was drawn from the deep water by the line attached to it. On reaching Kelly he was so faint as to be unable to stand, and that man and his son carried him ashore, where he was robed, swathed in flannel, and took some brandy, which revived him. Had it not been for the prompt assistance, the result might have been fatal. —Waterford Mail.
   SELLING IMPROPER BOOKS.—At Bow-street, on Saturday, William Dugdale and Henry Smith were charged with selling obscene prints and books, and having them in their possession. Dugdale had been apprehended at the instance of the Society for the Suppression of Vice in his shop in Holywell-street, and Smith in a branch business at Russell-court. The officers had made a seizure of the stock at both places, which contained a large number of infamous prints. They also seized several letters received by Dugdale from persons in different stations in life in answer to his advertisements, and enclosing postage stamps for his publications, and complaining that they had never received them. One of them, a lady, at Edinburgh, complained that she had written and enclosed stamps twelve months ago for a book. She demanded the work or the return of her money. Another correspondent expressed great anxiety lest his letters should be returned through the post to his private address ; and a “gentleman of property,” in another instance, offered to return at a reduced price some “very rare books,” which he had purchased at from three to five guineas each. Mr. Henry committed both prisoners for trial.

John O'Shaughnessy, Esq., of Birch Grove, Ballinasloe, has been appointed to the commission of the peace for the county of Roscommon.
Submitted by dja

The Cork Examiner, 7 October 1861

(Before Messrs. MAGUIRE, M.P., D. LEAHY, WOOD and PERRIER.)
CONSTABLE HOSFORD brought up Michael Keeffe on suspicion of being a deserter from H.M.S. Hawke. The Constable said that on Saturday the sergeant-at-arms left at Tuckey-street station a description of a deserter named Wm. Corcoran, and at one o'clock yesterday morning, meeting with the prisoner on Parliament Bridge, he took him into custody, his description corresponding with that of the deserter in question.
   The prisoner denied he was a deserter, and said he had leave to be absent from the Hawke. If the constable went down to the ship with him, he would see whether what he stated was true or not.
   The Bench ordered Keeffe to be taken to his ship.
   Two ill-looking fellows, supposed to be returned convicts, named Jeremiah Scannell and Alfred Jones, were brought up by Constable M'Ardle, charged with breaking into the house of Mr. Daniel Flyn, Castle-st., and stealing therefrom some articles of wearing apparel.
   Prosecutor stated that, returning home about half-past ten o'clock on Saturday night, he saw the prisoners looking through his shop window and knowing one of them, Jones, to have been in before for robbery, watched them until both went away. The robbery of his house, he was told, occurred at half-past 4 o'clock yesterday morning.
   The constable, in reply to the bench, said Jones was a returned convict, and had also been in the army. He likewise thought Scannell was a returned convict, and was lately arrested on suspicion of being concerned in another burglary. As the case against them was not at present sufficiently mature, he applied for a remand until Saturday, which was granted.
   Johanna Sheehan, a country girl, was charged with stealing on Saturday a dress, the property of Mrs. Leary, a stall-holder in the Bazzaar Market. Constable Gooney, who took the prisoner into custody, said the prosecutrix declined coming forward to prosecute.
   The prisoner was accordingly discharged.
   The same Constable brought up a woman named Ellen Brien, charged with stealing £3 and a purse from the person of Mrs. M'Swiney, Banduff. The offence was committed on a Saturday evening in Mr. Martin's shop, Winthrop-street, while the lady was making some purchases there.
   The prisoner was remanded till to-morrow, on the constable's application.
   Anne Prendergast, a girl of the town, was sentenced to 14 days' imprisonment for being disorderly in Cook- street on Saturday night. Constable Graham had the prisoner in charge.
   Florence M'Carthy, a carrier in the employment of Mr. Sutton, coal merchant, was fined 1s. for furiously driving through Winthrop-street on Friday. Mr. Walker, on the part of the Corporation, attended to prosecute, and one of the street police proved the offence.
   SIR,—As the good and true people of Cork, as also those of the provinces, are naturally anxious to know when the remains of that brave, fearless, and faithful Irishman, Terence B. MacManus, shall have arrived in our city, I beg to inform them through your columns, that I received papers and letters from New York yesterday and this day, stating that his remains were to be put on board the City of New York, one of the Inman line of steamers, on Friday last, and on the following day (Saturday, the 5th instant) she was to have sailed. This steamer being a first-class, powerful and fast ship, will be likely to arrive at the Cove of Cork on Wednesday, the 16th, or Thursday, the 17th. On the vessel's arrival his remains will be taken to the Catholic Church of Cove ; on the following day, a requiem solemn High Mass will be celebrated by the truly good an patriotic Bishop of Cloyne, Doctor Keane, and his faithful priests. After the ceremony the body will be conveyed to Cork, where it will remain until Sunday, when the funeral procession through the principal streets of the city will take place. When this brave and generous man resided in Liverpool, no Irishman in distress, or as the phrase has it, hard up, ever applied to him in vain ; his warm and generous heart could not refuse what his strong right hand appeared so willing to give. He knew no distinction of creed or class. On the same principle, I trust, his countrymen of all sects and political opioons will assemble on Sunday, the 20th of October, to do honour to his remains. In a few days our committee will publish a programme of the funeral arrangements, procession, &c. &c.
                        I am, your obedient servant,
      Cork, Oct. 7, 1861

YESTERDAY, when the outward bound steamer Arabia had just come to her moorings in Cork Harbour, one of the stokers, a man named Peter Scully, a native of Cork, incautiously approached too near the machinary, while it was still in motion, for the purpose of oiling it, and being caught in it, he was drawn further in, and in an instant the lever struck him on the head, jammed it against another portion of the works, and crushed it fearfully. The works were stopped as quickly as possible and the unfortunate man was drawn out. He was immediately attended to by the surgeon of the ship, and was subsequently carried on shore to the hospital at Queenstown, but his injuries are of such a nature that his recovery is deemed hopeless.

AMONGST the latest arrivals at Dr. Barter's are the Baron and Baroness Von Stieglitz and Messrs. H. M. de Montmorency and Raymond de Montmorency. Amongst the latest departures are Sir William Hort and family.
Submitted by dja

The Cork Examiner, 9 October 1861

MR. DRINAN, solicitor, attended to prosecute James Grant and William Carey, assistants in Mr. Fitzgibbon's establishment, under the 27th Geo. III., chap. 35, sec. 10, for entering upon the lands of Coole, to look for hares, not being authorized to do so, whereby they incurred a penalty of £10 each.
   John Martin, game-keeper to Mr. George Francis Wise, proved, that on Sunday, the 22nd of September, he saw the defendants beating for a hare on the lands of Coole ; that they had four greyhounds, and that they had not permission to enter upon the lands.
   Mr. Blake, solicitor, appeared for the defendants, and after cross-examination of the witnesses, contended that as the defendants did not start a hare they were not liable to any penalty under the act, which was a penal one. He then proceeded to examine William Kenefick, to show that the defendants were trespassing without guilty knowledge, and that they thought they were on the lands of Mr. Justin M'Carthy, of Carrignavar, from whom they had permission to course.
   The Bench taking into consideration the circumstances in life of the defendants fined them in the mitigated penalty of £4 and costs.

   (Before Mr. THOMAS DE MOLEYNS, Q.C., Chairman, and the following Magistrates :—Lord Mountcashel, Col. Roche, Messrs. Knaresborough, R.M.; and N. Brown, R.M.)
Captain Jonathan Morgan v. Denis Downing, Robert Walsh, John Foley, John Sullivan, Walter Prendergast, and William Connors.
   The offence with which the traversers, who had been out on bail, and seemed to be all respectable young men, were charged was that of unlawful assembly and riot, and assaulting prosecutor, on the night of 23d August. The sworn information of the prosecutor stated that he was Captain in the 97th Regiment ; was staying at the time of the alleged assault at Carrol's hotel, Fermoy, and at present stationed at Colchester. About 12 o'clock on the night in question he was, in company with another gentleman, about leaving the billiard-room of Cahill's hotel, for the purpose of going to his lodgings, when he received information that parties were watching him outside. He accordingly went out by a back entrance, and on reaching the street was met, struck and knocked down by several persons, amongst whom were the traversers. He knew no cause for the assault, except a quarrel that was said to have taken place between his brother and one of the prisoners, for whom he himself was told he called about a week since, but did not remember anything about it.
   After the prisoners had been arraigned, Lord Mountcashel said that as there was a family connection between him and prosecutor he would retire from the bench during the hearing of the case.
   His Worship thought that Lord Mountcashel was acting as a gentleman in taking no part in the decision of the bench, though there was no immediate connection between himself and the prosecutor.
   Mr. W. M. Johnson, counsel, said that before the traversers pleaded in the case, Captain Morgan for whom he appeared, was satisfied with the expression of regret made by the traversers for what had occurred on the occasion in question. They regret what they did, they agree to pay the expenses attending the civil action usual in such cases, and offer to give a sum of money towards any charity prosecutor may choose. Of course, his client did not wish to interfere with the rights of the Crown, but as far as the private prosecution is concerned he retires from it.
   His Worship—I am sure that is what Captain Morgan would wish. The matter now rests entirely with the Crown, in whose hands it is. . . .
   Jeremiah Loughlin and John Murphy, having pleaded guilty to rescuing two cows, two horses, and two calves, arrested under a civil bill decree, and to assault, were each sentenced to 14 days' imprisonment.
   Mr. Moore, solicitor, Midleton, addressed the bench in mitigation of punishment.
   The Court was occupied the rest of the day in hearing ejectment cases.

THE following, which we take from the Constitution of this morning, affords a striking commentary upon the observation which we thought it necessary to address in the Examiner of last evening to the ratepayers of the city:—
   A meeting was held at Mr. GALVAN'S, Castle-street. yesterday evening, for the purpose of adoptoing measures for the preservation of property of the inhabitants of Corn Market-street, Castle-street, and Daunt's-square. Mr. J. R. WILLIAMS, auctioneer, presided. Several of those present gave a very bad character of the present watchman, TIM CALLAGHAN. It appeared that he gets about £1 a week from the householders in the streets mentioned, yet he is extremely neglectful of their interests, and a great drunkard. On Sunday night, the night after the late burglary at Mr. O'FLYN'S, Castle-street, he was watched, and found not to come on his beat at the proper hour. Some of those who were paying him went to his house, and asked for him, but he was denied to them. On a second visit he was found talking to his wife, and was believed to be after a drunken spree. Mr. E. COTTER, Corn Market- street, stated his premises had been broken into six times last winter, owing to the negligence of the watchman. Mr. CLANCY, Daunt's Square, said that a lodger in his house named RIELY had seen CALLAGHAN assist some prostitutes to rob a man. He knocked the man down with his stick, and held him while the women were robbing him, and when the police came up he helped to take the man to the bridewell. Mr. COTTER said a woman named FOLEY had told him that she had seen him in another robbery. After some conversation about the general worthlessness of CALLAGHAN, a poll was taken as to whether he ought to be retained or not. It was resolved by a majority of one, that he should get a month's trial.

THE Month's Mind for the late Rev. Michael Moore, P.P., Glanworth and Ballydangan, will be held in Ballydangan Chapel on Thursday, the 17th Oct. The Office will commence at 11 o'clock.

KILLARNEY, TUESDAY.—An inquest was held this day at the Courthouse on the remains of a young lad named M'Carthy, son to Tim M'Carthy, boatman and fisherman at the Lake Hotel. It seems from the evidence, which was adduced before Mr. John C. O'Riordan, coroner, that a dispute took place at the Lake Hotel, about two months ago between the deceased and a young boy named Mike O'Connor, son of Mr. Jeremiah O'Connor, in the employment of the Lake Hotel ; that the quarrel terminated by O'Connor inflicting a few kicks on the right thigh of the deceased, from the affects of which the deceased was unable to leave his bed, and died last Sunday. O'Connor on the same evening was arrested. The jury returned the following verdict :—“We find that the deceased, James M'Carthy, died in Killarney on the 6th of October, from the effects of an abscess on the thigh and disease of the thigh bone ; but whether such abscess arose from the injuries inflicted on him by Michael O'Connor as alleged, there is no evidence before us to show.”

   BEREHAVEN. OCT. 7, 5. P.M.—The brigantine Emily of Cork, 151 tons, Beare. master. from Cork to Mirimichi, in ballast, went ashore this morning at the mainland side of the eastern entrance of Berehaven harbour, and will become a total wreck. Mr. O'Sullivan, of Millcove, Lloyd's agent, has taken charge and has been engaged with the captain from an early hour this morning in saving sails, spars, chains, &c, &c. The vessel's hulk is broken. She sailed from Cork on the 20th August last, has been seven weeks at sea and experienced terrific gales— Correspondent.

   SHIPWRECK.—The packet ship Henry Clay, which left Liverpool on Thursday last for New York, ran ashore on Islay on Friday following, at nine o'clock, p.m., and became a total wreck. Passengers and crew saved. Twenty-three of the officers and crew arrived at Glasgow on Wednesday, and were forwarded to Liverpool by the United States Consul. The captain and passengers still remain at the wreck. The ship had a cargo of coals and merchandise and two or three hundred bales of cotton. The cotton is expected to be saved, and sails, rigging, and provisions. Balance of cargo and ship expected to be a total loss.—North British Daily Mail.

N O T I C E .
MICHAEL J. SIMMS, who is retiring from Business desires that any Persons having claims on him will send in their Accounts immediately, and also requests payment of all outstanding Accounts due to him, which if not settled on or before the 14th of OCTOBER Next will be handed over to his Solicitor for recovery.
   M. J. SIMMS'S Office will be closed on and after the 14th October Next, after which he will discontinue to transact business.
   Montpellier Terrace, Cork, 24th Sept., 1861.

The Lord Viscount Lismore, of Shanbally Castle, county of Tipperary, and Lord and Lady Templemore, of Dunbrody Park, county of Wexford, are at present on a visit to the Earl and Countess of Bessborough, at their princely mansion, Bessborough House, county of Kilkenny.
   KILLAVULLEN, TUESDAY.—An inquest was held here this day before Messrs. C. J. Daly, Coroner, and Henry B. Foote, J.P., on the body of James Magner, aged 45 years, a Crimean veteran, who died rather suddenly on Saturday morning. A young man named O'Brien was arrested on the same evening on suspicion of having ill-used him as they spent the previous night together. Edward Barry, M.D., our indefatigable dispensary physician, deposed this day, that Magner was under his treatment for the past 12 months, being suffering from asthma together with his being a habitual drunkard, and that death resulted from the foregoing facts. The jury returned a verdict to that effect, and O'Brien was accordingly discharged. —A Correspondent.

   NAVAL PROMOTIONS AND APPOINTMENTS, OCT. 5.— Lieutenants to be Commanders on the retired list —John Tulloh, who entered the navy in May, 1803, and Alfred Young, who entered Jan., 1827. Deputy Inspector-General Richard D. Mason, to Jamaica Hospital. Lieutenants—Charles F. Walker to the Cornwallis ; Wm. H. Wright, to be Chief Officer in command of the East Ferry Coast Guard Station. Surgeons—Wm. H. Adam, to the Simoom, 6, troop ship at China ; W. J. Lewis, to be additional of the Nile. Assistant-Surgeons to be Surgeons—Archibald Stevenson, 1852, of the Hero ; John M. Tronson, M.D., 1852, of the Fisgard ; Thomas M'Gahan, 1853, of Plymouth Hospital ; James N. Dick, 1853, of Chatham Royal Marine Infirmary ; and Thomas Craig, 1856, of the Firebrand. Assistant-surgeon—Wm. J. Asalin, to the Warrior. Acting Second-class Assistant Engineers— James Petts, to the Magera, 6, troop ship at Portsmouth ; Astley R. Moxham, to the Handy gunboat on the Coast of Africa station. Mr. Robert M'Masters, to be Acting Chief Officer at Ballycotton Coast Guard Station. Midshipman—C. J. Lily to the Exmouth, 86, at Castellamare.

   October 6, at Newcastle House, county Dublin, the wife of Ignatius Moore, Esq., of a daughter.
   September 19, at Buffalo, U.S., the wife of Denis Donohoe, Esq., her Majesty's Consul, of a son.
   October 2, at Aherlow Cottage, the wife of the Rev. Brodrick Tuckey, Vicar of Kilbonane, of a son.

   October 6, by special license, in the Church of St. Andrew, Westland-row, by the Rev. W. J. Mulhall, William, eldest son of Mr. Morgan Farrell, Stratford- on-Slaney, county Wicklow, to Margaret, eldest daughter of the late Mr. Michael Dunne, Ballinure, county Wicklow.
   October 3, at the Metropolitan Church, Marlborough- street, by the Rev. D. Heyfron, C.C., Thomas Prendergast, Esq., Eyre-square, Galway, to Eliza Mary, daughter of Thomas Whitty, Esq., of Dublin.
   October 2, at the Church of St. Francis Xavier, Gardiner-street, James Walsh, solicitor, of No. 56, Dame-street, Dublin, to Margaret Josephine Kavanagh, eldest daughter of the late P. Kavanagh, Esq., of Cooper's Hollow, county Wexford.

   On Sunday last, the 6th inst., at No. 1, Harwick- square, Pimlico, Robert Hardy, Esq., aged 39, son of the late Simon Hardy, Esq., of this city.
   October 7, at his residence, 1, London Bridge-road, Dublin, Mr. Wm. Slattery, aged 67 years.
   October 6, at his residence, Anglesea-street, Dublin, Mr. Hubert Brady, commercial traveller, aged 33 years, only son of Mr. H. Brady, after a long and painful illness.
   October 6, of scarlatina, the day following the death of her brother Joseph, Elizabeth, the dear child of Mr. Nathaniel Colgan, of Cork-street, Dublin, aged six years.
   October 3, at 2, Grand Canal Portobello, Anne, the beloved wife of Mr. P. J. M'Kesnan, aged 51 years.

Friday 11th, at Ballinamadree.
Hour—Half-past Ten.
   BRUTAL ASSAULT ON A YOUNG GIRL AT GLOUCESTER.—On Saturday the county magistrates at the Shire-hall, Gloucester, proceeded with the examination of seven persons charged with a most brutal and outrageous assault on a young girl named Dorca Davis, about eighteen years of age. The names of the accused are—William Bowen Alston, aged 18 ; Hy. Chandler, of Gas-lane, 18 ; Joseph Parker, 15 ; Thos. Wheeler, 14 ; Charles Alcock, 17 ; George Cox, 20 ; and Wm. Harris, 17. The court was densely crowded, the case having excited a great sensation in the neighbourhood, owing to its atrocious and filthy character. It appeared that the girl had been all day at the Mop fair at Gloucester, on Monday last, in company with Rosanna Toombs and H. Hopkinson. In returning home about eleven o'clock from the fair, about a dozen men and boys overtook them. They threw her down and behaved in the most disgusting manner towards her. The details are quite unfit for publication. After receiving considerable injuries, she was at length able to escape from them. It was proved by the surgeon who examined her that she had been much injured, and that a capital offence had been committed. The prisoners were committed for trial.—Star of yesterday.
   THE ASSASSIN OF JUDGE POINSOT.—The Toulonnaise announces that the police there have arrested a man suspected of being the murderer of President Poinsot. He states his name to be George Lowell. This is the case of the murder committed in a railway carriage in France several months ago by an assassin supposed to be named Pad.

ON Monday evening the foremen and a number of the workmen of the above establishment met, by the permission of the superintendent, Mr. Crichton, in their reading-room, for the purpose of presenting Mr. Sunner, late foreman engineer of the establishment, and now appointed superintendent under the Harbour Commissioners, with a watch and appendages, as a token of the kind feelings they entertain toward him, and also an address expressive of that feeling, and their wishes for his prosperity in the new sphere of duty upon which he has entered. The watch, which was a very handsome gold one, was purchased at the shop of Messrs. Breton and Son, Patrick-street, and bore the following inscription:—
Presented to
By his friends and late fellow-workmen
in the
Cork Steam Ship Company's employment,
   CIVIC HONOURS CONFERRED ON IRISHMEN IN ENGLAND.—It is worthy of notice that of the Irishmen who have been elected to the office of Mayor in any of the English cities or towns, the honour has never been conferred on an Irish Catholic. At present two Irishmen fill the office of Mayor —one in Liverpool, Mr. Greaves, a Wexford man, the other in Morpeth, Mr. Maurice O'Connor, a native of the county Kerry, and both are Protestants. Mr. O'Connor, who was born a Catholic, is a native of Dingle, and renounced “the errors of Popery” many years ago.— Kerry Star.
   The Lord Viscount Lismore, of Shanbally Castle, county of Tipperary, and Lord and Lady Templemore, of Dunbrody Park, county of Wexford, are at present on a visit to the Earl and Countess of Bessborough, at their princely mansion, Bessborough House, county of Kilkenny.

F A M I L Y   B O O T   A N D   S H O E
W A R E H O U S E ,
JOHN ROCHE respectfully begs leave to call the attention of the Gentry and Public to his present large and varied Stock of Ladies', Gentlemen's and Children's BOOTS and SHOES, which will be Sold at unprecedentedly low prices, for Cash.
   All orders executed with care and despatch.

JOHN NEWSOM & SON being the largest Importers of the above are, enabled to offer it in prime condition at the reasonable price,
8s. per DOZ. FOR CASH.
   Families will find the above a most agreeable preserve during the hot weather. It is preferable to butter at Breakfast and Luncheon.
   N. & SON are also largely supplied with Jams, Jellies, &c., from the most noted manufacturers.
Tea Importers, Cork.

N O T I C E .
THE Trade and business of IRON FOUNDER, ENGINEER, and MILLWRIGHT, heretofore carried on in the name of “JOHN STEEL,” at the VULCAN FOUNDRY, LAPP'S-QUAY, CORK, will in future be carried on in the names of “JOHN STEEL and SONS.”
   Cork, October 8th, 1861.

Submitted by dja

The Cork Examiner, 10 October 1861

His Worship sat this day at twelve o'clock for the hearing of applications for spirit licenses, and other business.
   The following Market Jury was sworn:—Daniel Crowley, Michael O'Donoghue, Roger O'Keeffe, Wm. Meehan, Wm. Tayler, Wm. Fitzgerald, James Ford, Daniel M'Carthy, Walter Atkins, John Neehan, Wm. Millerick, Wm. Broderick.
   His Worship directed the jury to meet the Mayor at his office to-morrow at twelve o'clock.
   The following Grand Jury was sworn:—Robert Butcher, Thos. Dixon, J. G. Gibbings, Alex. Lunham, Nicholas Mahony, Roger Cranitch, Terence M'Martin, Thomas Richardson, James Corbett, Roger B. Evans, Mthew O'Regan, Wm. Haly, Chas. M'Carthy, John Dwyer, Thos. Clarke, John W. Green, John Lambert, Eugene O'Sullivan, Abraham Harty, Joseph Colbeck, W. J. Evans.
   His Worship informed them that owing to their number being incomplete he would discharge them until to-morrow, when he would take care that their number should be perfect.
   Eugene Ahearn, 37, George's-street, applied for the transfer of a license from Michael O'Sullivan. Michael O'Sullivan was in possession of the house till a recent period.
   Mr. Blake opposed on behalf of the vintners, and stated that in this case several applications had been put in for the transfer of this license to various parties, the person disposing of it thus making a traffic in it, and trying to secure one application if the other failed. There were several other applications before the Court from different parties for the transfer of this license to them.
   The applicant, Eugene Ahearn, was sworn and examined by Mr. Gregg, and deposed that he was in actual occupation of the house for the last week, and was making repairs in it. The transfer was bona fide to him.
   His Worship said he would grant the transfer. Although what Mr. Blake stated might be true, still it was evident that this man was in actual possession of the house, and he would grant the transfer to him.
   Henry Thomas Hyde, 17, Military Road, applied for the transfer of a license, formerly held by a man named Barrett, in the above house. It appeared that Barrett had transferred the license to a man named Falvey, on account of debt he owed him, and that Falvey had made it over to the present applicant.
   Mr. Blake contended that this mode of transfer was illegal, and could not be carried out. Falvey never came into possession of the license at all, the transfer not having been ratified by his worship, and therefore, could not transfer it.
   Owing to some difficulty as to the dates of the two transfers, his Worship held over the case to hear further evidence.
   Michael Mahony applied for a license for a house in Devonshire-street. Mr. M. J. Collins said that in this case there was really no new license, as the applicant, on a former occasion, held a license for a place called the Clarendon, in Winthrop-st. When he gave up that place he did not sell his license, or transfer it, or do anything but let it lie in simple abeyance. Its place was never supplied ; and, therefore, although it was an application for a new license, it was really no addition to the number. . . .
IN the notice of the Registry Sessions in yesterday's Examiner, the statement that “Conservative objections against Liberals were all declared informal,” should have been—“The following Conservative objections against Liberals were all declared informal.” Sir James Cotter, removed from Woodhill Terrace, Lower Glanmire Road —to 5, Palace-view, Sunday's-well Road. No claim in succession was lodged for him by the Conservative agents, and Sir James was disfranchised. Several others could be added to the long list of similar cases reported in the Examiner of last night.
ACCIDENTS.—Yesterday evening a number of emigrants were going on board the steam tender Arran Castle, which had come up from Queenstown to convey them down, preparatory to their embarking on board the City of Baltimore for New York, when a man named Thomas M'Elligot, from Tralee, who was crossing the gangway with a feather bed on his back, was tripped up, and fell ; the result of the accident was a severe fracture of the thigh, which necessitated his removal to the North Infirmary. The poor man had his wife and children with him ; but they are to proceed on their way in the City of Baltimore, and he will follow them as soon as he recovers.
HENRY CLEARY, a young fellow residing in Harper's lane, fell and broke his arm yesterday evening while playing [with] some other lads in his own house. He was taken to the North Infirmary.
DEATH FROM DRINKING.—An inquest was held on Tuesday at the Bridewell, by Mr. Jones, coroner, and an intelligent jury, into the circumstances attending the death of Thomas Cuffe. It was proved that he had been arrested on a charge of being drunk on Monday night and lodged in Bridewell, and that at seven o'clock yesterday morning he was found dead. Dr, Beamish was examined, and stated that in his opinion death had been caused by the habitual use of spiritous drinks by the deceased. The jury returned a verdict according to this evidence, and added that the officers of the Bridewell were in no way to blame for the man's death, and that they had made every effort, before the arrival of the medical gentleman, to revive animation.
SERIOUS ACCIDENT.—Yesterday, a man named John M'Carthy, a carpenter, was thrown from a horse on Fair Hill, and had his shoulder dislocated and his collar bone broken. He was taken to the North Infirmary.
   A LUCKY NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICER.—Sergeant Campion, 1st battalion 18th Royal Irish, now serving in India, has, by the death of his brother, come in for a fortune of £10,000. His brother, who had made his money in Australia, returned to Ireland and purchased an estate a short time ago, near Fermoy, and on the day of the purchase (being the worse for liquor) rode his horse into the river at Fermoy, and was drowned. He leaves, as next of kin, two brothers and one sister, each of whom will have £10,000.—Shipping Gazette.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 15 October 1861
A GREAT deal of interest and excitement has for the past few days existed in the town of Buttevant and its neighbourhood, in consequence of the mysterious and sudden disappearance of Mr. Cornelius Coghlan, a farmer of comfortable circumstances residing in the neighbourhood of the town. It appeared that on Saturday Mr. Coghlan was at the pig market in Buttevant, where he sold a lot of pigs to a dealer from Waterford, named Slattery, for which he received a sum of £25. Some time after seven the same evening he was seen going from the town towards the Military Barracks on his way home, and since then he has not been heard of, nor has any trace of him been discovered, and this sudden disappearance, with the fact that he was known to have a large sum of money about him, has led to a very strong suspicion that he has been the victim of foul play. Two soldiers of the 87th regiment, named John Mulcahy and Michael Boylan—the former a native of the County Tipperary and the latter of the County of Dublin—and three women of ill-fame named Ellen Hallinan, Mary Anne O'Sullivan, and Nanno Mulchinoch, are in custody on suspicion of having been in some way connected to his disappearance. It appeared that about seven or eight o'clock on Saturday evening the five prisoners left Buttevant in company, and Head-Constable Kenny of that town, on making enquiries, found that they had gone to Doneraile, where they had been drinking in a public house. On leaving, one of the soldiers handed a £5 note in payment, and received the change. About twelve o'clock they returned to Buttevant, but the soldiers did not go into barracks that night, and on Sunday morning Head-Constable Kenny called the attention of the military authorities to their absence. Both the men were subsequently taken into custody, and on the person of Mulcahy was found another £5 note, of the possession of which he could give no satisfactory account, neither could any of the party account for the possession of the £5 note which they had changed in Doneraile. Both soldiers are still in custody in the barracks. The three girls were also arrested, and are still in custody, but neither [sic] of them could give any account of the money which they had been spending. One of them it appeared had deposited a £3 note with the wife of a publican in Buttevant named Linehan. Mrs. Linehan when questioned at first denied receiving it, but subsequently she gave it up to the Acting-constable. When Head-constable Kenny saw the soldiers on Sunday morning, they and the three girls were in Linehan's public house, and one of the girls was in bed there. Mr. Coghlan is about sixty years of age, and was known to be of very temperate habits, never, it is said, exceeding two pints of porter in the day for the last twenty years. He is a man of large family. The police, ever since his disappearance, have been active in their endeavours to discover some trace of him, but the river in the neighbourhood of the town and the low lying lands on each side having been flooded by the late heavy rains, a complete search there has up to the present been found impracticable. Slattery, the dealer, from whom he received the £25, has been written to, to know if he could tell the numbers of or otherwise identify any of the notes. If he should, and that those found in the possession of the prisoner should turn out to be some of them, a very good clue will be found to the unravelling of the mystery.
AN attempt at murder was made on Saturday evening by a man named Hallisey. About eight o'clock he entered the house of Thomas Barry, in Hospital-lane, and attacked him with a razor, cutting his throat across. He also attacked the wife of Barry, but happily not with the razor, and she suffered more from terror than from any bodily injury. Hallisey then left the house. Soon after the constabulary at the Bandon-road station were informed of the outrage and they went to the house in which Hallisey resided, for the purpose of arresting him. On knocking, Hallisey opened the door for them. He held a lighted candle in his hand at the time and appeared quite unexcited, allowing himself to be taken into custody without offering any resistance. Brien [sic] was removed to the South Infirmary, where it was found that the wound which he received was not dangerous. The prisoner appeared to be, and we believe is, mentally deranged.

[Before S. T. W. FRENCH, Chairman ; Major WARREN, M. POWER, T. M. CUMMINS and E. ORME.]
MR. FRANKLAND, J. P., one of the Trustees of the Smith Barry estate, occupied a chair near the bench, but did not act as a magistrate in consequence of a prosecution for the larceny of oysters on the Smith Barry estate being conducted in his name.
   Mr. J. Bennett and Mr. Bass, solicitors, appeared to prosecute Cornelius Brien, Michael Sullivan, Martin Donovan, and Stephen O'Sullivan, for their having on the 7th of October, 1861, dredged for and stolen a quantity of oysters from the private oyster bank of the estate of J. H. S. Barry, deceased.
   The prosecution was brought under the 13th and 14th of Vict., chap. 88, s. 42.
   Mr. H. B. Julian, solicitor, conducted the defence. He denied that the prosecutors had established their case, and called on he Court to dismiss the charge.
   After a number of witnesses had been examined, and their statements taken down in writing, the Magistrates conferred together, and the Chairman announced that the accused were to be sent for trial to the next Quarter Sessions to be held in Cork. The prisoners were bailed.
   John Cotter, pilot, against Frederick Plumber, water clerk, for taking charge of the ship Eliza, and refusing to be superseded by a qualified pilot.
   The hearing of the case was postponed to next court day, the complainant undertaking to pay the expense of so doing.
   Mr. P. Barry, solicitor, prosecuted.
   After the hearing of the court business, Mr. Cummins and Major Warren sat to grant certificates of renewal of the annual spirit licenses. The following are the names of the spirit dealers who obtained certificates—Mr. Kilmurry, hotel ; J. Costelloe, Mr. M'Cullum, R. O'Sullivan, I. Ambrose, J. Demery, J. Regan, Mrs. Tobin, R. Barry, H. Deltour, J. Kinnears, D. Haly, D. Conway, Mrs. Godsell, Margaret Hayes. T. Sullivan, Mrs. Bransfield, P. Regan, M. Courtney, J. Keeffe, J. Ahern, R. Walsh, J. James, W. Curry, M. M'Carthy, and J. O'Reilly.
   A large number of certificates was refused for the present, in consequence of the applicants not attending in person.
   Monday next, the 21st inst., has been fixed for granting the rest of the certificates.
   Mr. R. O'Sullivan stated that he was many years in the spirit trade, and that this was the first time he was ever required to appear in person to obtain a certificate of renewal.
   Mr. Cummins, J.P., said the object he had in view in requiring the attendance of the applicants was, that they should have an opportunity of explaining or refuting any statement that might be made against them by the police or other persons.
   The business of the court concluded at 5 o'clock.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 16 October 1861
BUTTEVANT, WEDNESDAY MORNING.—The fate of Mr. Coghlan is still involved in mystery, but it is hoped that the search about being made to-day will throw some light on the matter. In addition to the two soldiers and the three girls, two civilians are also in custody, who, it is suspected, know more about the affair than they wish to tell. One of them named Fitzgibbon, is a painter, who was born in Buttevant, and has lived there since. The other is the son of a farmer named M'Auliffe, and is a near neighbour of Mr. Coghlan's. Both were examined before Mr. Moriarty, R.M., at Mallow, yesterday, but their statements were very conflicting, so much so that Mr. Moriarty deemed it prudent to remand them for the present. They state that they saw a man near the Barrack Gate, between half-past six and seven o'clock on Saturday evening, with a number of girls about him, but on account of the darkness they could not tell who he was. They also state that he was pulling one of the girls about, but their evidence on this point was rather contradictory. At one time they said they heard him demand his money from the girls, and in another part of their examination they denied having heard him say anything at all. They stated also that he did not appear to be drunk at the time. Another man named Fleming, a farm servant, employed on the same townland where Mr. Coghlan resided, was with them, but is not in custody. It is considered very suspicious that neither of the three, who knew Mr. Coghlan very well, particularly M'Auliffe and Fleming, could tell whether the man near the Barracks Gate was he or not, though the two men in custody describe his height and the clothes he wore, which corresponded with Mr. Coghlan's height and habiliments. The suspicion against these men is not that they took any part in the supposed murder, but that they know more of the transaction than they wish to tell. Fitzgibbon had a £5 note, which he said he had picked up in the melee near the barrack gate. He alleges that he was looking for Head-Constable Kenney on Monday to give it to him, but not finding him, he gave it to the Parish Priest, the Rev. Mr. Buckley. Preparations have been made for dragging the river to-day, and it is expected that if the unfortunate man's body is there it will be found.
   MELANCHOLY LOSS OF LIFE.—We regret to have to announce an accidental loss of life at Maryfort, in this county, under rather painful circumstances. Captain John O'Callaghan, of Maryfort, near Tulla, having had his potatoes stolen from a pit in a field, was determined to capture the thieves ; and on the night of the 9th inst., sent two of his workmen, named William Callaghan and William Holmes, to watch for a part of the night, intending other persons to go to their assistance at a later hour. About ten o'clock of the same night, his brother Mr. Donatious O'Callaghan, and a servant man (who were not aware that the two mentioned men were watching) proceeded in the same direction—and on reaching the place they heard a noise in the thicket or wood. Believing the thieves to be present, Mr. O'Callaghan inconsiderately discharged his gun in that direction, and William Callaghan and William Holmes happening to be the individuals moving through the trees, the latter was shot dead, the contents of the gun having entered his head. Deceased was a faithful and trusty servant. An inquest held on his body by Mr. Canny, coroner, on the 10th inst., and a verdict in accordance with the above facts was returned. The coroner held Mr. D. O'Callaghan to bail in the sum of £100 to appear when called upon, Captain Charles George O'Callaghan, of Ballinahinch, and Captain John O'Callaghan, of Maryfort, being his bailsmen.—Clare Freeman.
   All the sisters, save one, of the English Gale family, that were burned in the Philadelphia Theatre, have died. Of the fourteen girls that were burned all are dead but two. Guardian.

MESSRS. W. MARSH and Son have been engaged for the last two days, in selling by auction a number of paintings in the Protestant Hall. The collection was very large and contained some good paintings. Amongst the names set down in the catalogue were those of Horace Vernet, Giulio Romano, Poussin, Snyder, Wouvermans, and many other distinguished artists; but the competition for the works did not evince that the purchasers placed much reliance on the genuineness of most of them. The gentlemen present during both days included most of the patrons and amateurs of art in the city. . . . 
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 17 October 1861
(Before Messrs. A. F. M'NAMARA and G. CHATTERTON.)
TWO young men, Daniel Carroll and Lawrence Crowley, were charged with having travelled on the railway from Tralee to Cork, without a ticket. Two railway porters stated that on the arrival of the goods train in Cork, this morning, the prisoners were found concealed in one of the cars. They stated, in answer to witnesses, that they had entered it at Mallow, but as no goods were received since the train left Tralee, the witnesses were certain the prisoners had entered the train at the latter town.
   Mr. M'Namara asked the prisoners if they were ready to pay 6s. 10d. each, the fare from Tralee.
   The prisoners said they were satisfied to pay it from Mallow to Cork.
   Mr. M'Namara—Well, you must each pay 10s. fine, or go to gaol for a fortnight.
   A car-driver, named John Callaghan was summoned by Mr. M'C. Mahony, for having used abusive language towards him. The summons server proved that he had served John Horgan, the owner of the car, as he could not find Callaghan. Horgan stated that Callaghan had been dismissed by him, and that he had given him the summons. The complaint having been proved the magistrates fined Callaghan 10s. and costs of court, or to go to gaol for a fortnight.
   Mr. M'Namara suggested to Mr. Joyce, the inspector of hackney cars to have an eye after Callaghan, and not allow him to obtain a badge in future.
   Mr. Joyce—I shall take care of that, sir; but it would be well if your worships would caution the owner not to employ such drivers as Callaghan, as he is in the habit of doing.
   Mr. M'Namara—I am certain that this man will be more cautious in future. I must say that there is a great improvement in the conduct of the drivers and the appearance of the cars. They are now a credit to the city. 
   Mr. Joyce summoned the same cardriver for not having his badge exhibited, and he was fined 2s. 6d. and costs or a week's imprisonment.
   A complaint was brought against Mrs. Scannell, carowner, for keeping a horse which was unfit for work.
   Mr. Joyce requested the magistrates to deal leniently with the defendant, as she was a poor widow, and imposed upon by the parties whom she employed.
   The magistrates accordingly fined her in a nominal penalty and costs of the court.
   Another summons against the same carowner, for having her driver ply without his badge, was withdrawn by the inspector, as she had discharged the driver from her employment.
   THE AERATED BREAD—GOVERNMENT HOSPITALS.—We have often had to call attention to the slowness with which our government officials appreciate any new improvements in their several departments. This applies specially to our army and navy whose welfare should have our constant care. By a letter in the London Times of the 11th inst., from Sir J. Liddell, Director-General of the Medical Department Navy, we see that the Aerated Bread¹ has been introduced with great satisfaction into the Haslar Hospital at South Sea. This is a move in the right direction. From the testimony of the medical officers there, this important discovery in the making of bread seems to be fully valued, and we only hope ere long to see all our hospitals and public institutions supplied with it.—Evening Packet.
   On the 15th inst., at 53, Mountjoy-square, Dublin, the Lady Victoria Mary Kirwan, of a daughter.

   On the 8th inst., at St. George's Church, Dublin, Acheson Henderson, Esq., of Mountjoy-square, to Harriette, eldest daughter of the late Michael Law, Esq.
   On the 15th inst., at Donnybrook Church, Richard, second son of Christopher Wilson, Esq., of Lower Tooting, Surrey, to Alice Diana Mary, daughter of the late Thomas Johnston, Esq., of Adelaide, Merrion.
   At Dirleton Manse, East Lothian, on the 10th inst., by the Rev. Dr. Fowler, of Ratho, Henry Hartley, of Ballynamona House, county Cork, second son of the late John Hartley, Esq., of Mousby House, Cumberland, to Jessie, fourth daughter of the Rev. James Scott.
   Oct. 10, in Kinvara, by the Rev. Francis Arthur, P.P., uncle of the bridegroom, assisted by the Rev. P. A. McDonagh, Professor of the Irish College, Paris, and the Rev. C. O'Carroll, C.C., Kinvara, Mr. Francis M'Donagh, of the post-office, Ennistymon, to Lizzie, second daughter of Mr. Joseph Salmon, Kinvara.

   At Tralee, last week, Mr. P. Brick, Corn Office Clerk under the Incorporated Merchants' of Tralee Company. Mr. Brick was brother of the once highly popular barrister of that name—the friend of O'Connell—and whose untimely fate, as a victim of the barbarous code of duelling, caused such wide-spread regret.—Tralee Chronicle.
   On the 11th inst., in her confinement, Isabella, wife of Patrick Watters, Esq., Clerk of the Peace, Kilkenny, and daughter of John Pollock, Esq., Dublin.
   On the 13th inst., at 61, Upper Gardiner-street, aged 9 years and 7 months, Josephine, youngest daughter of the late Stephen Coppinger, Esq., barrister-at-law.
   On the 14th inst., in the 52nd year of his age, Mr. Thomas Brown, of Aungier-street, Dublin.
   Oct. 10, at Fort Union, county Limerick, John Christie, Esq., aged 86 years.
   Oct. 12, at Trimleston House, county Dublin, Susan M'Causland, relict of Wm. James M'Causland, Esq., of Fitzwilliam square and Merville, Stillorgan, county Dublin.
   On the 29th August, on board H.M.S. Racer, of yellow fever. John Rogers, Assistant-Surgeon of H.M.S. Mersey, youngest son of Saunders Rogers, Esq., late of H.M.'s Customs.
   On the 14th inst., at her residence, 6, Anglesea-avenue, Blackrock, Dublin, Mrs. Margaret Murphy, late of Ellis's-quay.
   On the 11th inst., at Kilkenny, Isabella, wife of Patrick Walters, Esq., and third daughter of John Pollock, Esq., Kenilworth-square, Rathmines.
   On the 14th inst., at Lower Mount-street, Dublin, Thomas Browne, coachmaker, aged 63.
   On the 11th inst., at 28, Brighton-place, Portobello, Dublin, Major George Dawson, late 73rd Regiment, aged 74.
   On the 11th inst., at 5, Sussex-place, Hyde Park, London, aged 45, Mary, daughter of the late Sir William Gordon, Bart., of Gordonstown and Letterfourie, and wife of William Shea, Esq., one of her Majesty's Sergeants-at-Law. R.I.P.
   On the 8th inst., at Dieppe, France, John Elliot Boileau, eldest son of Sir John Peter Boileau, Bart., and Lady Catherine Boileau, of Ketteringham-park, Norfolk, aged 34.
   On the 10th inst., at Geneva, the Hon. Frederick James Boyle, aged 26 years.
Submitted by dja
1 — Bread made from dough leavened with carbonic acid gas.

Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.