The Cork Examiner, 10 May 1861

(Before the RECORDER and a Jury.)
Thomas Jones pleaded guilty to stealing 3s., the money of Thomas Galgey. He was sentenced to four months' imprisonment with hard labour.
   Maurice Haly, John Delany, Daniel Connel, William Cussen and Mathew Galvin, were indicted for stealing 26 pigeons the property of Mr. John Power, Mardyke-street, on the 12th April. They pleaded not guilty, and were defended by Messrs. Wallis and Julian. Mr. Collins prosecuted for the Crown.
   The evidence for the prosecution was that the pigeons were stolen from Mr. Power's yard, and that on the same day, Delany, Cussen, Connell and Galvin sold pigeons to a man named Kinsworth. Delany also sold pigeons to another dealer named Dunscombe, in Fishamble-lane. Subsequently Mr. Power and his son saw the pigeons, and identified one. There was no evidence whatever against Haly.
   The jury found Delany guily, and acquited the others. Delany was then sentenced to four days' solitary confinement.
   Thomas Butler was convicted of having uttered a base half-crown on two occasions, and was sentenced to two months' imprisonment. He got an excellent character from Mr. Harvey, in whose employment he was for some time.
   Mary Murphy was covicted of the larceny of a petticoat, and was sentenced to four years of penal servitude. She has already been convicted of nine different offenses. In 1852 she was transported, and in 1856 sentenced to penal servitude.
   John Sullivan was covicted of an attempt to break into the shop of Mr. O'Callaghan, Daunt's-square.—Sentence was deferred.
   Patrick Murphy was convicted of having stolen a mule and cart, the property of his employer, James Sheehan, on the 17th of April.—Sentence was also deferred.
   The Court then adjourned.
JOHN CARROLL, a hackney-car owner, was yesterday fined 5s. at the Police Office, for plying for hire without being licensed to do so. Mr. Joyce, inspector, proved the offence. The Town Clerk was also present.
TWO lads named Cornelius Coakly and Denis Ring, were yesterday each sentenced by Mr. W. J. Shaw, J.P., to a fine of 10s or fourteen days imprisonment, for assaulting the police while in the discharge of their duty.
THE Edinburgh s.s., which sailed for New York yesterday took out about 400 passengers from this port and Liverpool. About 100 persons who had booked themselves to sail in the vessel from Cork, did not go in consequence of the hostilities in America. A Queen's messenger, Captain Johnson, went out in the vessel, bearing important despatches from the home government to the British ambassador in the United States. The Edinburgh took out over £84,000 in specie.
JOHN LEWIS, an apprentice, was prosecuted this morning, at the Police-office, for absconding from his master, John Blewitt, a boot and shoemaker. The lad was one of those taken out of the workhouse about two years since by the Benevolent Apprenticing Society for the purpose of having them bound to trades. He was apprenticed to Mr. Blewitt, with whom he has remained up to three weeks ago, when he absconded. Mr. Blewitt stated that he had always been an ill-conducted boy, and, therefore, he did not wish to take him back again, and would press to have him punished. Lewis pleaded in excuse for his running away that he had been badly treated by the prosecutor's wife, who did not like him, and that he never got sufficient wearing apparel. He did not wish either to return to Blewitt's employment. Mr. Hegarty, who attended to watch the case on behalf of the Society, stated that the boy's want of clothes was often remarked on at the South Monastery, where he, with the other boys apprenticed, by the Society, used to attend on Sundays. The magistrates suggested that the case had better be settled, as they did not like to send so young a boy to gaol, and it was accordingly held over for that purpose, Mr. Hegarty undertaking to make some arrangement.
OWEN NEALE, a simple-looking countryman, was brought before the magistrates this morning as being a deserter from the 36th Regiment. It appeared that he gave himself into custody last night on that charge. He deserted from the regiment when stationed in Plymouth, a year and four months ago, and was shortly after arrested in Bandon, but was discharged. He stated to the magistrates that he wished to be either out of or in the army, and it was with that view that he gave himself up, as the military authorities had never looked after him. He had very bad sight, and was besides labouring under a chest affection. The magistrates considered that under the circumstances they could do nothing but discharge the prisoner. A good deal of amusement was created by his answers and demeanour, and before leaving the court he gave a cheer for their worships.

Mr. JULIAN presided.
PRESENT—Dr. Wycherley, Messrs. Sheehan, Gregg, Keller, R. Scott, Keane, Cunningham.
   The week's expenses were £52 8s. 4d., consisting of £25 10s. 9d. materials, and £26 17s. 7d. labour, for which amount a cheque was ordered to be passed. The committee were in debt £7,107 9s. 3d.
   Mr. Sheehan suggested that the Committee should borrow money on debentures to pay off the debt. . . .
Submitted by dja

The Cork Examiner, 29 May 1861

ATTEMPTED SUICIDE.—A man named Wray, residing in Cove-street, went home drunk on Monday evening, from Cork fair. He sent one of his daughters out for a pennyworth of sugar of lead, a deadly poison, which, when he received it, he mixed in some water and swallowed. As soon as his family perceived what he had done, they had him removed to the South Infirmary, where he arrived in a perfectly insensible state. By the application of prompt remedies, however, the poison was overcome, and he was placed out of danger. The same night he left the infirmary of his own accord, slipping out without the knowledge of the officers, so that his departure was not discovered for some time after.
SEVERAL women of ill-fame were sentenced to a fortnight's imprisonment by the magistrates, this morning, for being disorderly in the streets last night.
INFORMATIONS were taken against a girl named Shea for robbing a German sailor in Godsil's lane, a few days ago. A companion of his was robbed at the same time by another woman in the same house.
CONSTABLE VICKERS brought four boys named Haley, Draddy, Sullivan and M'Carthy, before the magistrates this morning on a charge of vagrancy. The three first, who were stated to be habitual vagrants, were sentenced to a month's imprisonment each, and M'Carthy to a fortnight's imprisonment, it being his first offence.
ROBERT CHUTE, a cooper, was sentenced to two months' imprisonment for assaulting another cooper named Foley. The assault was stated to have arisen out of trade combination. The defendant, however, denied this, alleging that he was out of his mind with drink, and did not know what he was doing when he struck Foley.
AT the Police Office, this morning, Patrick O'Donnell, an apprentice in the establishment of Mr. Ogilvie, Patrick-street, charged a fellow apprentice named Thomas Ryan with striking him on the back of the head with a knife. Mr. Julian appeared for the complainant, and stated that the assault took place on Saturday morning in Mr. Ogilvie' establishment immediately after breakfast. The complainant in passing gave Ryan a playful tap on the neck, upon which the latter seized a breakfast knife and threw it at him, striking him on the back of the head and cutting him. This statement was corroborated by several witnesses. Mr. Julian further stated that as this was not the first occasion on which Ryan used a dangerous weapon, Mr. Ogilvie, on the matter being known, felt it his duty to have him prosecuted. The defendant alleged that the whole thing was done in play, that he had no ill-will towards the complainant, and in throwing the knife did not intend to hurt him. The Magistrates (Messrs. Orme, R.M., F. McNamara, and Hall) said Mr. Ogilvie had acted very properly in bringing the case before them, for the use of knives should be put a stop to, and they decided on fining the defendant £1, committing him to gaol for a month in default of payment.
A YOUNG dung gatherer named Higgins, was charged with breaking into the yard of Mr. George Martin, at Sunday's well, and attempting to steal manure out of it. Mr. Martin declined to prosecute, and the delinquent was discharged with a caution to which he did not seem to pay much attention.
BRUTAL ASSAULT.—A woman named Mary Donovan was received into the South Infirmary, yesterday, with a severe scalp wound, the effect of a kick from her husband.
Viscount Castlerosse has returned to Eaton-place, London, from his seat, Killarney.
Submitted by dja

Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.