The Cork Examiner, 3 December 1861
   At the Mardyke Parade, Cork, on the 2nd inst., the wife of Thomas Fuge, Esq., of a daughter.
   On the 29th Nov., the wife of Mr. John Martin, City-quay, Dublin, of a son.
   On the 30th Nov., at No. 11, Mountjoy-square North, the wife of John Lloyd Blood, of a daughter.
   At Clonmoney House, county of Clare, the wife of Matt. Cabby, Esq., J.P., of a daughter.
   On the 28th ult., at Strokestown, the wife of Valentine Fawless Trenor, Esq., M.D., of a daughter.
   At Trimleston Lodge, Dundrum, county of Dublin, the wife of Edward A. Vicars, Esq., of a daughter.
   Nov. 21, at 70, Mabbot-street, Dublin, the wife of Mr. J. F. Barry, of a son.
   Nov. 28, the wife of Mr. William Murphy, 116, James's-street, Dublin, of a son.
   Nov. 23, at Bantis House, county Tipperary, the wife of Edw. Kennedy, Esq., of a son and heir.

   On the 1st inst., by the Rev. Mr. Hay, of the R. C. Cathedral, Dublin, at St. Kevin's Chapel, Dublin, George Sigerson, M.D., to Miss Hetty Varian, youngest daughter of the late Mr. Amos Varian, of this city.
   On the 30th ult., at Clonpriest Church, by the Rev. Maurice Hewson, William Fleming, Esq., Solicitor, of Midleton, to Louisa Amelia, youngest daughter of the late William Hall, Esq., of Burgess Upper.
   On the 28th Nov., in St. Mary's, Dublin, William Edward, eldest son of Mr. David Welsh, Mountjoy-square, to Elizabeth Jane Graham, eldest daughter of Mr. K. Doyle, of Beech-hill, co. Dublin.
   At Sydney, New South Wales, Allen, son of the late Captain R. Houghton, of Wellington, New Zealand, to Joanna Banim, daughter of the late John Burke, Esq., of Kilkenny, and niece of J. Banim, the celebrated Irish novelist.
   On the 27th ult., Bessie Shaw, third daughter of the Rev. Jeremiah M'Cheane, rector and vicar of the union of Kilmoganny, county of Kilkenny, to Purefoy Poe, Esq., solicitor, of Upper Temple-street.
   On the 23rd ult., at Queenstown, J. P. Serrurier, Esq., of H.M.'s War Department, to Caroline, widow of the late William Mooney, Lieutenant R.N.
   On the 25th ult., at St. Jude's Church, Dublin, the Rev. Richard O'Brien, A.M., to Wihelmina, daughter of Major Kirkman, late Rifle Brigade, Barrackmaster of Richmond Barracks.
   On the 28th ult., at Monkstown Church, Dublin, Edwin Rickard, seventh son of the late John Thomas Lloyd, of Farmley, Dundrum, county Dublin, Esq., to Dorothea Eugenia, eldest daughter of the late Henry Robert Harvey, of Kyle, county Wexford, Esq.
   Nov. 28, at the Church of St. Mary Star of the Sea, Irishtown by the Very Rev. Dr. O'Connell, Thomas Fitzgerald, Esq., solicitor, youngest son of the late David Fitzgerald, Esq., to Mary, only daughter of Michael Keogh, Esq., Geevagh, county Sligo, and grand-daughter of the late John Keogh, Esq., Mount Jerome, county Dublin.
   Nov. 27, at the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Marlborough-street, by the Rev. Wm. Fortune, All Hallows College, Robert Cardiff Crean, Esq., M.D., to Johanna Josephine, second daughter of the late Walter Stafford, Esq., Wexford.
   Nov. 27, at Monkstown Church, Dublin, by the Rev. Thomas Sill Gray, rector of Stillorgan, brother to the bride, Wm. Graham, Mountjoy-square, solicitor, to Mary Jane, daughter of Robert Gray, Esq., of Temple-hill, county Dublin.
   Nov. 25, in the Chapel of Kinvara, Michael Butler, Esq., of Garrick-hill, county Clare, to Emily Anne, daughter of J. Mahon, Esq., Northampton, county Galway.
   Nov. 27, at St. Malachy's Church, Belfast, by the Most Rev. Dr. Dorrian, Coadjutor Bishop of Down and Connor, Mr. John O'Neill, architect, Belfast, to Margaret, youngest daughter of the late Patrick M'Auley, Esq., Belfast.
   Nov. 27, at St. Michan's Church, North Anne-street, Mr. James Frew, to Agnes, second daughter of Mr. P. Carroll, 71, Upper Dominick-street.
   On the 30th Nov., at Glanmire House, Miss Morrogh.
   On Sunday morning, Dec. 1st, at his residence, Bachelor's-quay, Mr. Samuel Millbank, coal merchant, deservedly and sincerely regretted.—R.I.P.
   On the 26th ult., at the Queen's Hotel, Queenstown, Richard Butler Stoney, Esq., Lieutenant Royal Artillery, aged 22, second son of Thomas Butler Stoney, of Portland, co. Tipperary.
   On the 29th Nov., at West-street, Drogheda, William Campbell, Esq., merchant. Mr. Campbell was an Alderman of the Drogheda Corporation since 1843, and once filled the office of Mayor.
   On the 26th ult., at Blackwall, a few days after her return from Madras, Elizabeth, relict of Eyre Burton Powell, Esq., late Comptroller-General of Inland Revenue, Ireland, aged 60.
   On the 1st inst., Esther, relict of the late George Fair, aged 80 years.
   On the 28th ult., at West End, Mallow, Elen, wife of Homan Haines, Esq., aged 77 years.
   On the 24th ult., at his residence, The Cottage, Ennistymon, county Clare, Dr. Charles Finucane, M.R.S.L., in the 44th year of his age.
   On the 26th ult., at his residence, 2, Tenterden-street, Hanover-square, London, aged 71, James Adolphus Moore, Esq., R.M.A., grandson of Sir Emanuel Moore, Bart., county of Cork.
   At 75, Great Brunswick-street, Dublin, Mr. Wm. Roberts, professor of elocution, aged 76 years.
   Nov. 25, at 140, Stockell-street, Glasgow, Mr. Bruce Norton, comedian, of the Theatre Royal, in his 42d year.
   Nov. 27, in Parliament-street, Kilkenny, Maryanne, the beloved child of Mr. Richd. Brennan, aged 9 years.
   Nov. 23, in Lower Gardiner-street, Miss Ellen O'Brien, daughter of the late James O'Brien, Esq., of Quinpoole, county Clare.
   Nov. 27, at Summer-hill, the widow of J. F. Sargent, Esq., of Limerick, formerly relict of the Rev. J. S. Rainsford, of St. Michan's.
   On the 27th, inst. [sic], at Glanmire-terrace, Ranelagh, of consumption, Eliza Margaret Wilkinson, sixth daughter of the late Lieutenant-Col. A. Wilkinson, of the 18th Regt. of Infantry, and of Fort lewis, in this county.
   On the 21st, inst. [sic], in Paris, Caroline Louise de la Belinaye, widow of Michael Burke Honan, Esq.

   The Lord Chancellor has appointed Thomas O'Neill, merchant, to be a Magistrate for the Towns of Carrick- on-Suir and Larrickbeg, under the Act 17 and 18 Vic. (Towns Improvement Act).

   Sir John Dean Paul, it is said, has, within the last few days, contracted a matrimonial connection. The lady who is to be his third wife, is stated to be a daughter of the late Thomas Bugden, Esq., of Holmesdale House, Surrey, and Beauheu, Jersey.—Globe.

   The Espero of Turin announces that M. Franklin de Saint-Bon, an officer of the Italian navy, has been sent to England to purchase ten steam-transports and twelve gun-boats.

   CONVERSION.—The Rev. Hugh Weightman, M.A., of Trinity Hall, Cambridge, for several years and until recently curate of St. George's, Hanover-square, has been lately received into the Catholic Church by the Very Rev. Monsignor Manning. The rev. and learned gentleman was called to the bar by the Hon. Secretary of the Inner Temple in May, 1843, and practised for some years in London and on the Oxford circuit with considerable success. It is Mr. Weightman's intention now to resume his practice as a Catholic layman. —Tablet.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 4 December 1861
   LEEDS, MONDAY.—Deerfoot ran to-day at Victoria- grounds, Leeds, against four competitors ; Mills, of London, Brighton, of Norwich, Barker, of London, and Cliffe, of Leeds. Fifteen thousand persons were present. Mills, after a splendid running, gave up at six miles' distance. Barker had an accident and was thrown over for two laps, but Brighton gamely ran on with Deerfoot to the close, and was distanced by only two yards. The Indian put on a tremendous spurt at the finish and arrived at the post by that distance ahead of his opponent. The time occupied in running the ten miles was fifty-three minutes and ten seconds—the shortest time on record. [see also 18 December 1861]

   SOUTHAMPTON, DEC. 3.—The Pacific and Oriental Company's ship Indus, with the heavy portion of above mails, has arrived here.
   She brings 69 passengers, £5,819 in specie, and 365 bales of raw silk, valued at £30,000.
   The Indus sailed from Alexandria on the 19th, Malta 23rd, and Gibraltar 28th.

   SOUTHAMPTON, 4TH DEC.—The Royal Mail Steamer Magdalena, with the above mails, has arrived here. She brings 38 passengers, £14,580 in specie, and 3,060 packages of cargo.
   There is no news of importance from Buenos Ayres. The town of Parana had been abandoned, and was quiet. Drequi remained at Santa Feb., and had refused to resign. The province of Luckman is in a state of complete anarchy.
ON Friday, the s.s. Helena, Captain Smith, laden with Indian Corn, while on her voyage from Liverpool to Newry, shifted her cargo when off St. John's Point, and became quite unmanageable in consequence of the severity of the weather. Signals of distress were at once hoisted, and on being perceived by Capt. Crawford, master of the s.s. Tuskar, of and from Glasgow for Cork, the latter towed the Helena safely into Belfast Lough the same night.

SERIOUS ACCIDENT.—Yesterday an old man, named Richd. Pigott, a slater, was engaged on the top of a high ladder, in Leitrim-street, securing it to the roof of a house to which he was about doing some repairs, when an unruly horse rushed out from a stable, and some harness which he had on catching in the foot of the ladder, dragged it along the ground. The man, who had just secured the upper end to the roof, clung tightly to it ; but, the horse continuing to drag at the lower end, the ladder finally broke, and the poor man was precipitated by the jerk that ensued from a height of 35 feet to the ground. The consequence was some severe bruises and a fracture under the knee joint. He was taken to the North Infirmary.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 5 December 1861
(Before Messrs. A. F. M'NAMARA, CHATTERTON, and ORME, R.M..)
Two lads named Jeremiah Moore and Daniel O'Leary, were brought up by Sub-Constable M'Namara, charged with being concerned in stealing four loaves from Mr. James Burden's shop, South Main-street. It appeared that about seven o'clock this morning O'Leary went into prosecutor's shop and asked for a pair of cold bread, expressing an objection to the fresh bread on the counter. When shown the description required, he further objected and wished to see what he called a “heely” pair. Prosecutor turned round to give them to him, and O'Leary taking advantage of the opportunity, ran off with two pair of bread which was on the counter. Margaret Coghlan, in the employment of prosecutor, saw him run away and cried out to Michael Lehane who followed O'Leary, and saw him letting the bread fall in Kift's-lane. In endeavouring to catch him, Moore who had been watching at the opposite side of the street, prevented Lehane from pursuing the other down the lane. After a short run, however, O'Leary was caught, and both were given in custody.
   The bench sentenced each of the prisoners to two months' imprisonment at hard labour.
   Ellen Hamilton, a noted character about town, was sentenced to two months' imprisonment , for using obscene language in the street this morning, and attempting to assault the police. On the sentence being pronounced, the prisoner, maddened by drink and the idea of the punishment she was about to undergo, attacked the police who were near her at the time, cutting some and injuring the clothes of others. It gave half a dozen of the force more than they could do to remove her from the court, and the scene for the short time it lasted is quite indescribable.
   The Bench expressed a determination to double the sentence when she is in a position to understand it.
   A fine of 10s. and costs, or in default of payment, 14 days' imprisonment, was imposed on a hackney-car driver named Joseph Kiely, for not wearing a badge and using insolent language to the Inspector. Mr. Joyce prosecuted.

December 4, 1861.
   ARRIVEDNorma, Tircich, Ibrail, maize—Elinor, Bowden, Bombay, cotton, for Liverpool, windbound.
(By Magnetic Telegraph)
   ARRIVEDNoemi, from Ibrail.
   Off Port—William Miles, from Musquash.
   Put in—The William and Charles, Dyse master, Cardiff, to Limerick ; main boom and bulwarks swept away in a storm.
   The Orion is completely under water. The vessell will be a total wreck. Divers will see what can be done to-day, weather permitting.
   Eight of the crew of the American ship Pleiades have been placed in the hands of the police at Cardiff, charged with the murder of the mate and another person during the voyage.

FARMER PARKER, seventh son of JAMES PARKER, of Ballyhamlet, in the County of Waterford, Esq., was sworn and admitted an Attorney of her Majesty's Court of Common Pleas on the 25th ult., before Chief Justice Monahan.

SUICIDE.—On Saturday last an Englishman named Spratt, and a bell-hanger by trade, committed suicide at Convamore, by suspending himself from a beam in the upper part of the house he was staying in, and allowing his legs to hang down a hole in the floor. The means adopted for the purpose was his handkerchief which he tied round his neck. No reason has been assigned for the rash act. —Correspondent.
THE steamship City of Washington leaves to-day for New York with upwards of sixty passengers from our port, and also the mails. The passengers were chiefly cabin, and, with but one or two exceptions, all Americans returning homeward in haste on account of the threatened hostilities. Some, also, are officers of the British army who have been on leave of absence in this country, and are now ordered back to their regiments in Canada.

   GLASSON, COUNTY WESTMEATH, DEC. 3.—As Peter Gaffney, a labourer, and his brother, were cutting rods on a farm held by Lord Castlemaine, his lordship's gamekeeper came up and called them to stand, when they immediately ran off, and the gamekeeper fired at them, and wounded Peter Gaffney severely in the shoulder and back, from the effects of which he now lies dangerously ill. The gamekeeper, Thomas Hannigan, has been arrested and committed for further inquiry. —Freeman of this day.

   On Monday, the 2d inst., at 65, Grafton-street, Dublin, the wife of Mr. James Robinson Hill, Dundrum, of a daughter.
   On the 3d inst., at 38, Eccles-street, Dublin, the wife of Major Bellairs, Deputy-Assistant-General, of a daughter.
   On the 29th November, the Marchioness of Huntley, of twin daughters.
   On the 30th Nov., at Castle Forbes, Aberdeenshire, the wife of Major-General Sir John Inglis, K.C.B., of a daughter.
   On the 30th Nov., at 1, Great Cumberland-street, the Hon. Mrs. William Beckett Denison, of a son.
   On the 29th Nov., at 4, St. Mark's-square, Regent's-park, London, Mrs. A. S. Petrie, of a daughter.
   December 2, in Lower Fitzwilliam-street, Dublin, the wife of Archibald Robinson, Esq., of a daughter.

   On the 30th Nov., at St. Margaret's Westminster, by the Rev. H. B. Wilder, M.A., Frederick Wilder, Esq., of Purley Hall, Berks, to Sarah Fox, daughter of Sir Benjamin Hawes, K.C.B.

   On the 26th inst., at Catlemartyr, at an advanced age, Mrs. Elizabeth Simcocks Conway, relict of the late Thomas Conway, Esq., Rathkeale, county Limerick.
   December 3, at the residence of her son-in-law, 15, Bridge-street, Tralee, at the advanced age of 84 years, Mrs. Jane Leggett, relict of the late Mr. James Leggett.
   On Friday, the 29th ult., at Cahirciveen, in the 69th year of his age, John O'Connell, Esq., much regretted by all who knew him.
   Dec. 3, at Great Brunswick-street, Dublin, after a lingering illness, Euphemia, daughter of the late James Jones.
   Dec. 1, at 38, Marlborough-street, Dublin, William Richard Ambrose M'Garry, only child of James Francis M'Garry, book-keeper in the Gresham Hotel.
   On the 30th Nov., at Adelaide-street, Kingstown, Elizabeth Bury, wife of William O'Brien Adams, M.D.
   On the 28th Nov., at his residence, Greenview, Enniscorty, Festus Pounder, Esq., solicitor, aged 36 years.

   INSOLVENT.—Callaghan Kelly, late of Dominick-street, city of Cork, publican.

   NAVAL APPOINTMENTS.—Captain, Richard A. Powell, C.B. ; Commander, Philip Saumeres ; Lieutenants, Frank T. Thompson, James G. Mead, Francis W. Lowther, and Edward P. Pocock ; Master, Wm. Moyes ; Paymaster, George H. L. Wise ; Assistant Paymaster, R. R. A. Richards ; Clerk, James Cox ; Assistant Clerk, Joseph Allen—all to the Defence, commissioned. Clerk—George L. Miller, to the St. Vincent. Chief Engineers—George Aitchison, to the Cumberland, for the Meander. Second Class Assistant Engineer—Reginald C. Oldknow, to the Edgar. Acting Second Class Assistant Engineer—John Wood, to the Spider.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 9 December 1861
WE deeply regret the premature death of this amiable and gifted young man, who died between two and three o'clock yesterday morning. The immediate cause of his death was tetanus—the result of a terrible wound received from the accidental discharge of a gun, while out shooting in Currabinny wood, about a fortnight ago. The poor lad, while engaged in this sport with his brother, was leaning with his arm upon the muzzle of his gun. Both hammers were down, and, therefore, as he considered, quite safe. In lifting his foot, however, the strap of one of his leggings caught and jerked the hammer, and a heavy charge of shot tore through his arm, lacerating the large muscle in a most fearful manner. His sufferings during his illness were of the most intense character, and three days before his death tetanus, with all its terrors, set in. Yet during all that period his resignation and piety were of the most exemplary kind. The most fervent devotion marked his reception of the last Sacraments, and quitting the world at eighteen years, when all its brightness might have been supposed to be opening before him, he displayed a Christian calmness and tranquility which made his death-bed beautiful.
   Mr. MARK COLLINS was the son of a most respectable fellow-citizen, Mr. MARK COLLINS T.C., for whom deep sympathy has been evinced throughout the city. The deceased lad was being trained to the profession of an architect, and had already given proof of talent and proficiency quite unusual at his age. The funeral will leave his father's residence, Blackrock Road, at ten o'clock to- morrow.

   On the 6th inst., at Sea Court, the wife of Henry Longfield, Esq., of a son.
   On the 7th inst., at 39, Grand-parade, in this city, the wife of J. R. Stawell, Esq., of a daughter.

   At the Catholic Church, Cratlo, Lawrence Quinlivan, son of Michael Quinlivan, Esq., Ballyroughan, county Clare, to Margaret, third daughter of Michael Hogan, Esq., of Meahill, same county.

   On the 27th ult., Mrs. C. Sullivan, Shanacashel, eldest daughter of the late Phillip Attridge, Esq., Carrigfaddra, Skibbereen.
   On the 4th inst., at Castlemartyr, Miss Fanny Abernathy.
   On the 30th ult., aged 26, at Kildorrery, Maryanne, daughter of the late James Neagle Clancey, Esq.
   On the 5th inst., at Kinsale, at an advanced age, Sarah Gill, eldest daughter of the late Rev. Peter Foley.
   On the 5th inst., at her residence, near Castlemartyr, Emily Esther Jephson.
   Rev. Timothy O'Farrell, P.P. of Skerries.
   Dec 2, at Cullenswood, Kate, youngest daughter of Mr. J. Duffy.
   Dec. 4, at Derby-terrace, Wellington-road, Dublin, Kate, fifth daughter of the late Robert Foley, Esq.
   At Tullyallen, county Louth, the Rev. Richard O'Sullivan, P.P.
   On the 4th instant, at the residence of her son-in-law, J. de Courcy, Esq., National Bank, Tralee, Arabella, widow of the late William Joynt, Esq., Limerick, and daughter of the late Richard Lane, M.D., same city.

ACCIDENT.—A man was received at the South Infirmary on Saturday with a severe wound in his head, which was caused by a fall from a ladder while helping to thatch the roof of a house in Skahabeg. He was ascending the ladder when one of the rungs broke, and he fell to the ground, head foremost.
   SIR,—I arrived at Queenstown yesterday (Sunday), by the quarter to one Railway boat, and as I stepped ashore my attention was directed to an American barque, the Annie Bucknam, lying in Cork Harbour. On the royal or topmast yards were two men, exposed to as fearful squalls as we have had for the last twelve months. They had been exposed in this way from early dawn. Some said from 6 o'clock, a.m. There was a good deal of excitement on shore. A mate of a vessel lying near said he could not eat his breakfast thinking of them. I asked what the police and magistrates were about, and was informed “the police were looking for the magistrates.” One of the poor men managed to take off his blue shirt, and place it on the left of the foreyard, to intimate that he appealed to the Admiral of the port, and required a man-of-war boat. Such an appeal, when the signal of the of the blue shirt is hoisted, is never made in vain ; but the signal was not seen ; so I rowed to her Majesty's guardship, the Hawke, and asked to see the officer in command. Quick as thought he called for the glass, and saw the signal. “I shall send a boat, sir,” was the reply, “though I don't know what we are to do with these Yankees.” I heard the piping for the boat's crew before I left the side of the ship, which soon after pulled for the Annie Bucknam ; but they were anticipated by another boat, which I conclude had a magistrate aboard, for we saw the poor fellows descending half frozen to death, before the man-of-war boat reached them.
   An American captain about two years ago, ran down a vessel outside our harbour, and left every soul to perish, although he had the means of saving them. This scoundrel escaped punishment, as the affair was outside the jurisdiction of our magistrates. But here is a piece of ruthless cruelty, perpetrated within our harbour, and before our eyes. What would these men have suffered if on the high seas? Perhaps death, by exposure.
C. B. GIBSON, Chaplain, Spike Island.    
   Monkstown, Cork, Dec. 9, 1861.

SUDDEN DEATH.—Yesterday, Mr. Wm. Curtayne, a gentleman well known in this city, died very suddenly. While on the Grand Parade, about mid-day, he felt a severe pain in his chest, and went into the shop of Mr. Page, apothecary, to get some remedy for it, but before any assistance could be rendered, he fell to the ground quite dead. The deceased gentleman resided for some time past on the Middle Glanmire Road.
   NEWTOWNLIMAVADY, DEC. 4.—Last night, about eight men, armed with swords and pistols, and their faces blackened, went to the house of a farmer named Alexander M'Clurg, residing at a place called Templemoyle, and, having obtained an entrance, beat Mr. M'Clurg's son severely, who escaped through a window. They then attacked the father, knocked him down, and cut him in several places on the head. The reason for the attack is attributed to a daughter of M'Clurg having eloped last week with his servant boy, named John Thompson, and a few nights ago her father, with others, went to where she was concealed, and forcibly brought her back. It is supposed Thompson got the above party to make the attack with a view of again carrying off the girl.—Freeman Correspondent.

   LOSS OF THE CORSAIR, SCREW-STEAMSHIP.—News reached Galway this morning of the loss of the screw-steamship Corsair, trading between Liverpool, Belfast, and Galway. On her voyage from Liverpool to this port she was driven ashore in the severe storm of Saturday evening last, in Sheephaven, on the coast of Donegal. The men were all saved, and a good part of the cargo, but we regret to say a large number of our merchants are heavy losers by this melancholy event, as their new stocks of Christmas fruit, &c., were on board. As she was laden for this port and Westport, the loss will fall with very great severity on them at the present moment. The Corsair was only chartered by the West of Ireland Company, and we believe this voyage was about the last she was to make under charter, as the company's own boats were about ready to resume the voyage.—Saunders.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 11 December 1861
(Before Messrs. H. L. YOUNG, R. HALL, and ORME, R.M.)
   Timothy Donovan, a lad about fifteen years of age, was brought up by a constable of the Shandon-street station under the following circumstances. The constable said that on last night about 4 o'clock, the watchman came to the station with this boy and stated that he had met him in the street with a large bundle under his arm, and as he could not satisfactorily account for its possession he took him into custody. On opening the bundle 4 sheets and a variety of other clothes were found, all wet, and apparently taken from some place where they were laid out to dry.
   Mr. Hall—Have you anything to say for yourself, my lad?
   Donovan—On yesterday, sir, I came out of the City Gaol where I had been for two months, and applied to Mr. Lane, the relieving officer, for admission to the workhouse and was refused, so that nothing was left to me but to steal.
   In reply to some inquiries of the magistrates the boy added that he was a native of Cork, but that his parents had gone to America when he was a child and died there, and he was sent back to Ireland by the American authorities.
   Their Worships postponed the case until 11 o'clock tomorrow for the production of evidence.
   A man named Jeremiah O'Leary was charged with stealing manure, the property of John Flynn, of Friar's Walk. It appeared that Flynn kept the manure in a stable in the neighbourhood of Sydney Place, and that on Monday the prisoner was detected by a groom of Mr. Sugrue's in the act of filling his butt from prosecutor's heap. O'Leary was sentenced to a week's imprisonment. Mr. Blake appeared for the defence.

   THE JEWS AT BAVARIA.—The Jews of Munich have signed an address to the King of Bavaria, expressing their gratitude at having been relieved from the restrictive measures to which they had long been subjected, and under which they were treated as an exceptional category of citizens. Similar addresses have even been sent to the King by Jewish communities abroad.
   In addition to the Persia, Australian, Adriatic and Panama, six other screw transports were taken up yesterday, and will be got ready with all speed to take troops on board for Canada.
   The 2d battalion of the Grenadier and the 2d battalion of the Fusilier Guards have received orders to be ready for embarkation at once.
   The 1st battalion military train stationed at Woolwich was yesterday medically inspected and passed ready for embarkation for America.
   Forty men of the commissariat staff are under orders for embarkation.
   The steam transport Melbourne, entered Plymouth Sound yesterday afternoon, at half-past 2 o'clock, and at five was escorted out by the Orpheus, 21 guns for North America. The two ships will fill up with coal at Queenstown. The gun parks at Woolwich are being abundantly stocked with reserves of batteries in immediate readiness for embarkation.
   Admiralty orders were received at Chatham yesterday, directing the iron screw steamer Resistance, 22 guns, 600 horse-power, to be got ready for sea with all possible speed.
   A notice from the Horse Guards issued yesterday, directs that all applications for Exchange shall be accompanied by medical certificates, showing fitness for service in any climate.
   It was stated last night that a telegram had been sent to the Mediterranean ordering several vessels of the fleet to proceed direct to the North American station.

   DEATH FROM CRINOLINE.—An inquest was held on Friday last before Mr. Coroner Swan, at Eastwood, on the body of Mary Ann Royley, a young married woman, 20 years of age, who died on Wednesday last from injuries she had sustained from burns. It appeared from the evidence of the witnesses that on the morning of the 19th ult. the deceased, who is a collier's wife, and was wearing at the time an extensive crinoline petticoat, was stooping down to take her baby up, when her clothing came into contact with the fire, and almost instantly she was in a blaze. She at once ran into the house of a neighbour, who got her into the yard, and attempted to extinguish the flames with a wet towel. In this, however, she was unsuccessful, and another neighbour came to her assistance with a blanket, which proved more effectual, and the fire was got out, but not before most of her clothing had been consumed, and she was severely burnt on the breast, arms, neck and other parts of the body. She was at once taken to bed, and the surgeon attended her daily, but his efforts were unavailing, and she died on Wednesday. The jury returned a verdict of “Accidentally burnt.”
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 12 December 1861
(Before Messrs. H. L. YOUNG, and R. HALL.)
TIMOTHY DONOVAN, the lad who was remanded from yesterday on suspicion of stealing clothes, was put forward.
   Constable Hughes stated that he had discovered the place from which the clothes were stolen, and that if the prisoner was sent before the Recorder he would have the evidence completed before that time.
   Mr. Lane, relieving officer, said that he saw on last night's paper that Donovan had said he had applied to him (Mr. Lane) for a ticket of admission to the workhouse and was refused. The boy was perfectly correct in saying that he had been refused admission, but his reason for doing so was, that Donovan had been an inmate of the house on no less than six occasions within the last few months.
   The prisoner said that he had been let out of the City Jail on Tuesday and went down direct to Mr. Lane ; the only answer he got was that if he did not go away, Mr. Lane would bring him before the Douglas Petty Sessions and get him sent to prison for a month.
   Mr. Lane—And so I could, and I would have brought you before the magistrates yesterday only it was board day.
   Mr. Young—That is no excuse at all, sir, you should have either given him relief or have brought him here before us to see what we could do with him ; you could not expect he would lie down in the street and starve. In my opinion a case of this kind required immediate and prompt relief.
   Mr. Hall—I agree entirely with what has fallen from Mr. Young. Common humanity demanded that this poor boy should be relieved, had he been admitted this robbery would never have taken place. Would you wish to go into the reformatory my lad?
   Prisoner—Yes, your Worship, or into any place where I could stay until I would be strong enough to earn my bread. Informations were ordered returnable before the Recorder.
   John Lynch was brought up by Constable Patterson who said that he arrested him on supposition of stealing three sheep from a farmer who lives near Bandon. The prisoner had told him that he hired with Mr. Lovel, of Bandon, but on bringing him before Mr. Lovel's sister, who is now in Cork, she said that she never saw him before.
   The prisoner was remanded until further enquiries could be made.
   Mr. Joyce, inspector of hackney-carriages, prosecuted a considerable number of ginglemen for obstructing the pathways in different parts of the town.
   They were in all instances fined 2s. 6d., including costs.
   Hugh M'Donnell and John Mahony were also prosecuted by Mr. Joyce for plying for hire with unfit horses and cars. They were fined 10s. and costs.
   From information received by the American consul at Cardiff, the superintendent of Police, with an efficient staff of constables, repaired to the West Bute Dock at an early hour on Tuesday morning, to await the arrival of an American ship, Playedes, on which a horrible murder had been reported. Thousands were present to await the arrival of the ship, and the police had no easy task to accomplish to keep the people at bay. At about ten o'clock the long-looked-for came at last, and eight foreigners, (Italians, Americans, Germans, and Austrians) who comprised the crew, were immediately arrested on the charge. Their names were Peter Storey, Peter Murrier, Irach Jocynine, Martin Sando, Perfeto Salas, Joseph Mansel, John Mansel and Peter Sanga. From the captain of the ship the following particulars were afforded:—It appears that for some considerable time the crew had manifested very bitter feelings against the mate of the ship for his repeated hard conduct towards the men, and accordingly it had at length been decided in counsel to murder him on a favourable opportunity presenting itself. The 12th of last month proved the fatal day not only for him, but for another poor fellow, who is supposed to have been an unwilling accomplice. The mate (whose name we have, as yet, been unable to ascertain), sent, as usual, at an early hour in the morning, to call up the men from their sleeping apartments, when he was immediately attacked with staves, knives, and other dangerous weapons. The captain, hearing the noise, rushed on deck and fired on the men, and then, by persuasion and force combined, succeeded in rescuing the victim, but the injuries were of too severe a character to give the rescuer any faith in entertaining the slightest hopes of his recovery. His body presented a frightful mangled appearance, and the wounds caused him the greatest agony. He lingered, by the aid of stimulants, not many hours, after which he was, according to the custom, thrown overboard. The other poor fellow, whose name also we have not learnt, was the interpreter, and was despatched into the ocean with little or no ceremony, at least so it is supposed by the captain, for he missed him without seeing any struggle, or hearing any disturbance. The villains, however, were not content to stop in the execution of their deadly work after causing the death of two, but they afterwards attacked the second mate, upon whom, fortunately they considered to exercise a little mercy, and he was subject to no further molestation, after having received severe wounds on his left arm. The captain appears to have enjoyed the general confidence of the crew, and was not hurt. The prisoners are at present in Cardiff jail, awaiting the arrangements of the American consul to transfer them to the American police authorities for the administration of the laws of that country. The greatest excitement is manifested in the case at Cardiff, and the vicinity of the police station has been crowded throughout the day by persons anxious to glean every particular.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 16 December 1861
(Before Messrs. T. S. REEVES and A. F. M'NAMARA.)
   Mr. Reeves announced that in consequence of the death of the Prince Consort the civil business of the court would be adjourned until Wednesday.
   James Barry, driver of the Passage mail train was brought up charged with being drunk on last night while in charge of H.M.'s mails. He was fined 5s.
   Margaret Walsh was put forth on a charge of attempting to pick the pocket of a lady, in Patrick- street, about 8 o'clock on Saturday evening.
   Detective Copeland deposed that on the evening in question he saw the prisoner following a lady down Patrick-street. Knowing her to be a notorious pickpocket ; his suspicions were aroused and he follwed her. The lady went into Mr. Winchester's shop ; the prisoner followed her, and when the detective came up he heard the lady charging Walsh with attempting to pick her pocket. He then took her into custody.
   The lady having proved the offence,
   Their worships sentenced her to three month's imprisonment.
   Margaret Lunham and Bridget Courtenay were brought in by Constable Doyle charged with begging in York-street at 11 o'clock on yesterday. They were each sentenced to a month's imprisonment.
   John M'Auliffe was brought up by a policeman who stated that he had just caught him engaged in card sharping and “thimble rigging,” in Market-street.
   Mr. M'Namara—What have you to say to this?
   Prisoner—I had a few thimbles in my pocket, sir, and they fell through a hole in the lining (laughter.)
   Head-constable Roe—Are you a tailor?
   Prisoner—I can do as good a day's work with my thimble as any other man.
   Their Worships sentenced him to go to jail for a week.

A MEETING on the Commissioners of Queenstown was held to-day, for the purpose of considering matters of local importance. These were, a proposition made by Mr. Cahill, T.C., to disconnect Queenstown from the poor-law union of Cork, and to connect it with that of Midleton ; and to consider the provisions of a bill which would make the Commissioners independent of the county grand jury. The meeting was private, and had not concluded up to three o'clock.

   Hardy v. Sullivan—ALLEGED LIBEL.—The hearing of this case which was continued on Friday, was resumed at the sitting of this court. The jury found a verdict for the plaintiff, with £50 damages and costs.—Report to- morrow.
THE singular and difficult feat of a man—or rather a boy, for the performer's age does not apparently exceed fifteen— crossing the river Lee on a tight-rope was performed in this city to-day at two o'clock. The announcement of the event created great interest among many classes in the city, especially amongst the lower orders, of whom there was an enourmous attendance on the spot. The place chosen for the performance was that portion of Lavitt's Quay at the end of the Athanaeum, from whence the rope ran across to a spot opposite Mulgrave Road. Besides the guys at the ends the rope was supported by three others at various points across. Its elevation above the water was about fifteen feet. There was a very large attendance of people. The quays on both sides of the river from very near North Gate Bridge to Patrick's Bridge were densely crowded, and in the immediate locality where the feat was to take place, there was such a crowd assembled that it was almost impossible to get even standing room on footpath or roadway. There could not altogether have been less than 15,000 persons who witnessed the performance from various points of view. Shortly before two o'clock, the person about to go through the performance, and described on the bills as “the Young African,” appeared on the landing stage on the side of the river next the Athanaeum, dressed in the ordinary tights and with the usual rope-walker's pole in his hand. He first started unburdened by any load ; and walked slowly across the river ; and having reached the opposite side, turned and came back in the same cautious fashion. After a short pause he again re-appeared at the end of the rope, with one of the younger boys—a performer in the circus—on his back, dressed up as an old woman. He then started as before, walking very cautiously and deliberately across, and then returned with his companion still on his back. This portion of the performance was witnessed very anxiously by his enormous open-air audience, as, had he fallen, either himself or the boy carried would have been very seriously hurt, and perhaps killed. He walked very steadily, however, both across and back, and landed safely on the stage again from which he started. The entire feat only occupied three or four minutes. The youthful performer was loundly cheered in the course of and at the end of his performance. He performs again during the week, we understand, at the circus in the Athenaeum.

INQUEST.—Mr. Coroner Galway held an inquest this day on the body of Daniel Doyle. It appeared in evidence that the deceased drove a car this morning to Passage, that on his return he complained of severe pain in the head, to which he was subject, arising from a rush of blood to the head, and that shortly after he died suddenly.—Verdict in accordance with the facts.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 18 December 1861
YESTERDAY the proces of blasting, preparatory to the construction of intended works, was carried out on a more extensive scale than previously. It had become necessary to remove an immense quantity of loose stones and earth, and for this purpose upwards of 1,000 lbs. of powder was placed in a mine to explode the desired mass. At a quarter before 12 o'clock a flag hoisted at Spike Island warned boats &c., of the intended explosion, and at noon precisely the mine was fired, shattering the huge mound, while dense clouds of smoke rolled heavily away. Unfortunately the work, so well accomplished by Capt. Chesney, C.E., was not unattended by accident. A corporal named Evans, belonging to the Sappers; having approached within an incautious proximity to the danger, was struck on the right leg by a fragment of rock, which almost severed the lower part of the leg from the thigh. He was immediately taken in charge by Dr. Kelly, and then conveyed from Spike Island to the military hospital at Queenstown. A consultation was then held by Drs. Lundy, Humphries, Cronin, and Kelly, when amputation was decided upon, and this morning the operation was successfully performed.

   THE DOUBLE MURDER ON THE HIGH SEAS.—The Secretary of State having issued a warrant for the apprehension of Pedro Astorga, Pedro Marconas, Joseph Jacquia, Perfecto Salas, Joseph Manuel, John Manuel Rosa, John Penja, and Martin Sanda, the eight Spanish seamen charged with the murder of the mate of the American ship Pleiades, on the 12th of November last, they were brought before the Cardiff borough magistrates on Friday. The magistrates dismissed five of the prisoners, and detained Pedro Astorga, Perfecto Salas, and J. Manuel Rosa, who will be handed over to the American authorities, charged with wilful murder.

CHRISTMAS PRESENTS.—In the window of the establishment of Messrs. Dyas and Harman, Winthrop Street, is displayed a large Christmas tree, which, for the past day or two, has attracted much of the attention and admiration of passers by. It is a young fir tree, of luxuriant fresh looking foliage, among the branches of which are hung innumerable toys of brilliant appearance, such as are generally presented to children at Christmas. At each side is a smaller one of the same description. Among the other Christmas presents exhibited there, are some elegantly finished boxes, containing each an assortment of necessaries for the toilette, and very well suited for presents to ladies.

A deputation from the Town Commissioners of Queenstown, consisting of Messrs. Seymour, Kilmurry, Joyce, and Cahil, with Mr. Hammond, secretary, proceeded to Midleton to-day, in order to procure the co-operation of the latter union in having the electoral division of Queenstown separated from Cork and attached to the Midleton Union.
December 17, 1861.
   ARRIVEDLady Mulgrave, Bassier, New York, maize ; Dumbarton, s.s., Dumbarton, for Bahia, put in to coal.
   SAILEDNorge, Weberg, Belfast, grain ; Roseland, Ball, Civita Vecchia, coals.
(By Magnetic Telegraph.)
   ARRIVEDGrange, from New York.
   SAILEDRobert Treat, Newry ; Fahan Heith, Sligo.

    On the 15th inst., at her residence, River View, Sandy Mount, Dublin, the wife of Wm. Bennett Evans, of a son.
   On the 4th inst., at Malta, the wife of Lieut.-Col. Laffan, Royal Engineers, of a son.

   On the 7th ult., at Madras, J. Devonsher Jackson, Esq., 17th Lancers, son of the late Joseph Jackson, Esq., of Dublin, to Fannie, youngest daughter of Richard Jubb, Esq., of Cliff, Yorkshire, and Glen East, county of Waterford.

   On the 14th instant, after a long and painful illness, which he bore with Christian fortitude and resignation, Mr. Jas. Denehy, of this city, sincerely and deservedly regretted by a large circle of friends, to whom his many admirable qualities had endeared him.
   At his residence, 17, Lower Fitzwilliam-street, Dublin, Cathcart Lees, Esq., M.D., aged 49 years.
   On the 10th inst., at Leinster-road, Dublin, aged 13 years, William, second son of Richard James Henesey, Esq.
   On the 14th inst., at his residence, Telough House, county of Kildare, John Mather, Esq., sen., in the 92nd year of his age.
   On the 13th inst., at his residence, 64, Heytesbury street, Dublin, William M'Allester, Esq.
   On the 16th inst., at 3, Harcourt-place, Richard Digby Fortescue, eldest son of Digby P. Starkey, Esq.

   The enclosed pedestrian ground at Hackney Wick was visited on Monday afternoon by several thousand spectators, who mustered to witness the contest between Deerfoot, the Seneca Indian, and Edward Mills, the Little Wonder, over a distance of eight miles, for a stake of £200, which has been exciting so much interest during the past few weeks. Mills, who “fell off” in condition a few days ago, has quite recovered ; and, although looking rather fine, seemed in very good condition. Deerfoot appears as fresh as usual, notwithstanding the fact of his having won two ten-mile races last week, and money was speculated very freely upon the result, any odds in his favour being quickly taken by the partisans of Mills, whose turn of speed, it was thought, would cause the Indian to succumb in this race, for the largest stake he has run for since his arrival in this country, thereby proving whether his pretensions as a first rate pedestrian were well founded or not.
   At the appointed time (three o'clock) the men appeared on the ground, and the signal having been given, they started away, the Indian with the lead, which he held for the first five or six leaps, when Mills collared and passed him ; but the Indian passed him at the finish of the next lap, and so they continued passing and repassing each other up to the end of the 48th lap, from which distance Mills maintained the lead to within a few yards of the winning post, when Deerfoot “came with one of his rushes ;” and the referee being unable to separate them, it was pronounced a dead heat.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 19 December 1861
AN inquest was held at twelve o'clock this day, by Coroner Barry, at the Military Barracks, Queenstown, on the body of Corporal Evans, lately of the Sappers Company, now stationed at Spike Island. The particulars of the accident which befell the deceased during the explosion of a mine on Tuesday last, have already been published. Yesterday he underwent successfully an amputation of the leg, but last night the unhappy man began to decline rapidly and expired.

   The O'Donoghue, M.P., has been removed from the Commission of the Peace.

THE screw steamer Etna, Captain Kennedy, arrived in Queenstown this morning, having left Liverpool at one o'clock yesterday. She leaves to-day for New York with fifty passengers, a full cargo, and the mails, which arrived from Cork at 3 o'clock, immediately after which the Etna steamed away.
A FARMER named Lyons, from the parish of Glanworth, came with his wife to the market of Mitchelstown, on Thursday last, and as he was returning home in a car in the evening with her, (having some drink taken,) he got out of the car, and told her that he would go to see a niece of his who lives in a different direction. There is no account of him since. Men were for several days searching the rivers for his body without effect.

Cork, Dec. 13th, 1861    
   SIR.—As St. Stephen's day is near at hand, I know your attention has only to be called to it, that you may in your truly liberal paper remind the merchants and traders of the city to have their places of business closed on that day.
   I have the honour to be Sir, your obedient servant,
SOUTHAMPTON, DEC. 18TH.—The P. and O. Company's steamer Peri, with the heavy portion of the India, China, and Australian mails arrived off the Needles at 10.25 a.m.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 20 December 1861
ROPE-WALKING ACROSS THE LEE.—Between one and half-past one to-day, a similar feat to that noticed in our second edition of Monday, was performed by the same young member of Bell's circus troupe, and was witnessed by a large concourse of persons. Besides his having stayed to partake of a small lunch midway on his first crossing, another circumstance happened which did not take place on the first occasion and on which more than one opinion was expressed. When crossing the second time from Lavitt's-quay he had strapped to his back another young fellow of colour, said to be his brother, and having passed a little over a third of the distance he slipped, leaving the balancing-pole fall into the river. Every one, save himself, seemed excited and uneasy about his position, and became more so the longer he remained in it. He, however, appeared quite unnerved, and contrived to hold on to the rope with his hands and feet until he received assistance from two older members of the company who worked themselves out to him as well and fast as they could, and soon released him of his too great encumbrance. A rope was then thrown to him from a boat, and by its aid the four were lowered into it. The crowd exhibited great delight at the safe landing of the little chaps, and immediately dispersed.
   HORSE GUARDS, S.W., DEC. 18.—The General Commanding-in-Chief has received her Majesty's commands to direct, on the present melancholy occasion of the death of his Royal Highness the Prince Consort, that the officers of the Army be required to wear, when in uniform, black crape over the ornamental part of the cap or hat, over the sword-knot, and on the left arm ; with black gloves, and a black crape scarf over the sack [sic].
   The drums are to be covered with black, and black crape is to be hung from the head of the colour-staff of the infantry, and from the standards-staff of cavalry.
   When officers appear at Court in their uniforms, they are to wear black crape over the ornamental part of the cap or hat, over the sword-knot, and on the left arm, with black gloves, and a black crape scarf over the sash.
   By command of His Royal Highness the Duke of Cambridge, General Commanding-in-Chief.
JAMES YORKE SCARLETT, Adjustant General.    
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 21 December 1861
Cork, Dec. 20, 1861    
SIR,—I was, in truth, shocked and extremely surprised and disgusted to be an unwilling spectator of a most disgraceful scene of the spoilation of the dead on Tuesday morning last at the above cemetery, and the facts are simply these. Having attended the last obsequies of a much regretted and respected friend, I was indeed, prior to going home, to make a tour round the gardens for the purpose of seeing several handsome tombs lately erected. On my way, accompanied by some friends, we were suddenly startled by hearing a loud voice in a remonstrating tone, and in turning round we beheld one of the clergymen (who a few minutes previous performed the service of the dead) speaking to several men who were beneath the surface in a large hole, to all appearance digging to form a new vault. Around lay an immense quantity of pieces of coffins evidently broken up and disinterred to make room for its construction. The clergyman, after strongly censuring such scandalous and disgraceful conduct, left the place, imagining he had seen the worst. On our proceeding a few yards further, a scene, if possible, more outrageous was exhibited. A man was digging and not only were the protruding portions of the coffins smashed evidently by the labourers' spades and pickaxes, but the faces of the corpses exposed to view ; need I say that the feeling of indignation was strong in the language and mind of every looker-on. A little further on I saw and handled several disentombed coffins of infants, with merely the lids knocked off as if by a spade or shovel, and the timber of which was perfectly sound and fresh, the corpse thrust in a corner perhaps. When the person in charge was earnestly appealed to by the bystanders not to permit such desecration towards the dead, and after by Head-Constable Roe, who was also at the funeral, his reply was, “Go on boys,” (addressing the labourers) and to Head-Constable Roe who asked his name, “Damn your impudence, how dare you interfere ; I am minding my business, you mind yours,” and even refused his name. He used other most opprobrious expressions I cannot now call to mind ; but his conduct and bearing were, I consider, highly improper.
   Surely, sir, such conduct, and under the very noses of the citizens, should not be tolerated. Let those, rich or poor, who have dead to bury (and who has not?), stand out and give their opinion of this. No doubt, multitudes of the poor creatures buried in the grounds alluded to have now no relatives of friends to either prevent the scandal or resent the outrage ; but I hold, sir, that in this Christian country, where of all others the burial place is deemed most sacred, that the authorities are bound to be the guardians of the poor and that such acts as I have now described should not be allowed to pass with impunity. I have waited now three days expecting some person present, much more influential than I am would bring the matter under the notice of the Executive, but finding it has not been done, I trust that this report, though inefficient, will cause an enquiry in the proper quarter. As a guarantee of its truth I enclose my name. I am, sir, your obedient servant,
   Sub-Inspector E. H. Garraway has arrived in Belfast on his transference from the depot, and taken charge of the district.
   Third Sub-Inspector Henry O'Callaghan, having completed his course of instruction and drill at the depot, Phoenix Park, has been appointed by Sir Henry John Brownrigg, C.B., Inspector-General, to have charge of the district of Roundstone, county Galway, from the 1st proximo.
   Sub-Inspector J. B. Cooke has been transferred from the district of Roundstone to Castleisland, county Kerry.
   Sub-Constable John Knott, Ballymacarrett, has been appointed acting-constable, and goes to Newtownards. Acting-constable John Hoctor, stationed in Newry, has been promoted to constable.—Northern Whig.

BURGLARY.—Late on Thursday night or early on Friday morning, some parties as yet unknown, broke into the office and stores of Mr. D. M'Carthy Mahony, Dominick-street, and removed therefrom two kegs of butter. The means adopted for this purpose was a lamplighter's ladder which they placed at the rere of the premises, and by ascending which they were enabled to displace so much of the wall as admitted their persons. Effecting their entrance in this way, they forced open the desk that, fortunately, contained little of importance to the burglars, and took away the quantity of butter mentioned. After doing so they went off and up to the present are at large.
ALLEGED BIGAMY.—A blooming young girl named Mary Neill, a native of Blarney-lane, in this city, was to-day brought, by Head-constable Carey, before Messrs. Dunscombe and Orme, R.M., on a charge of having married a second time during the life of her first husband. From the evidence adduced it appeared that on February 6, 1861, the prisoner was married in the Registry Office, South Mall, to Denis Quinn, soldier in the 99th Regiment, who was then stationed in the local military barracks, and subsequently removed to Kinsale, thence to Dublin, where he was discharged, his period of service having expired. In the following June she was again married in the Catholic Cathedral to John Callaghan, servant, living in Springfield, with whom she lived about eleven days, when she left, taking with her all she could lay her hands on. She then went to live with her first husband and remained with him up to the period of her arrest, a few days since. Hearing that she had been previously married, and that she was then cohabitating with her lawful husband in the county of Kildare, Callaghan, by the advice of his friends referred the case to some of the local magistrates, by whose advice a warrant for her apprehension was issued on 29th November, and executed as soon as possible after. Constable M'Curdy, of Donadea, who took her into custody, received power from a magistrate of the district to convey the prisoner here, and accordingly did so. After hearing the evidence, the magistrates at the Police Office committed her to take her trial at the March assizes. The prisoner is a tolerably well-looking young person, comfortably dressed in bonnet and mantle, and seemed quite delighted at the entire proceeding in court. Her victim, who is upwards of 35 years of age, appeared, on the contrary, anything but pleased with his position.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 24 December 1861
THIS distinguished author has arrived at Queenstown, where he intends to pass the remainder of his days in seclusion from the literary world, should the climate of the locality suit his constitution. He is at present engaged in writing a Commentary on the Gospels of SS. John and Matthew, with which he intends to close his public life.

INSTRUCTIONS have been received at the offices of the Citizen's River Steamers' Company to have a sufficient number of their boats ready, at the shortest possible notice, to convey about fifty officers, eleven hundred men, with five horses, a large quantity of baggage, stores, &c., from Cork to Queenstown, for embarkation. The order states that the boats will be required, probably, about the 26th or 27th instant.
   To-day, 130 officers and men of the 15th brigade, Royal Artillery, embarked upon the steamer Sabrina bound to Bristol, whither they proceed en route to Woolwich, there to join the head-quarters of the brigade previous, it is said, to their departure for Canada. The troops were taken from the several forts about the harbour, and were consigned from Queenstown by the Citizens' River Steamer's Company's vessel “Citizen” to Cork, where they embarked on board the Sabrina.

YESTERDAY being the day on which the interment of the deceased Prince's remains took place, the usual royal honours were paid the occasion at Queenstown. The battery at Spike Island and the Hawke, Guardship, fired minute guns alternately from noon to sunset. At both the Hawke and Spike Island the Royal Standard was raised at half mast high, and continued so while the guns were being discharged.
   During the past few days the officers of the Navy and Army stationed at Queenstown have worn the prescribed mourning-crape over the badge of the cap, and across the sash, and sword knot ; also a band of crape on the left arm.

SNEEM, SUNDAY, DEC 22, 1861.—On this day the venerable pastor of Ballybog, the Rev. M. Walsh, in announcing to his parishioners that the new National schools would be opened early in January, said that the event which he had ardently wished and waited for during the last 32 years, was now accomplished, through the goodness of their excellent landlord, Mr. Bland, who had contributed £200 towards the building of the schools. Father Walsh then delivered a really practical discourse on the benefits of education, and the duties of parents to their children by sending them to school, &c., and concluded by asking the congregation to join him in beseeching God to grant Mr. Bland every happiness in the world, and to direct him towards the attainment of eternal happiness—a prayer that was heartily responded to by all present.—Correspondent.

ACCIDENTS.—A woman named Donoghue, residing in Blarney-lane, while walking along Boyce's-street on Saturday, with a basket of sheeps' trotters on her head, fell, and fractured her left leg ; she was taken to the North Infirmary. James Walsh, residing in Shandon-street, applied for surgical treatment at the same institution yesterday, for a dislocation of the arm, which he sustained, it appeared, while engaged in a game of “romps” with some of his female acquaintances. This morning Cornelius Mahony, a resident of Peacock-lane, fell from a car on the fair green, and sustained a fracture of the arm. He was taken to the North Infirmary.
BANKRUPTS.—William Stapleton, of 26, and 27, Kildare- street, in the city of Dublin, lodging-house keeper, to surrender on Friday, the 3rd January, and on Tuesday, the 21st of January, Patrick Kelly, of Monaghan, county Monaghan, baker and shopkeeper, to surrender on Tuesday, the 31st of December, and on Tuesday, the 24th of January, Robert Argue, of Moynalty, in the county of Meath, grocer, to surrender on Tuesday, the 31st of December, and on Friday, the 24th of January.
INSOLVENT DEBTORS.—At Tralee, Jan. 4th, Jeremiah Brosnahan, late of Tralee, county Kerry, farmer ; John M'Elligott, late of Ballysheen, county Kerry, farmer ; Thomas Kerrisk, late of Dunryon, county Kerry, farmer. At Cashel, Jan. 6, John Doolan, late of Crough, county of Tipperary, labourer ; Thomas Shea, late of Clonmel, county Tipperary, painter, glazier, and dealer in paper.
LAST evening a young lad named James Connell, on leaving the Railway steamer in Queenstown, at 5 o'clock, was accidentally met on the gangway by another party going on board, and precipitated into the water. For more than ten minutes he remained unseen in his perilous position, but was ultimately rescued by a man standing on the pier, who gallantly jumped in and safely brought the boy ashore.

THE barque H. M. Grattan while at the harbour's mouth yesterday was run into by the Russian barque Superin. She sustained, however, only the loss of the figurehead and some trifling gear.
   The chartered steamer Persia, of the Cunard line, with troops on board for Canada, was signalled by the City of Manchester on the 19th inst. The same vessel also passed the Jura steamer and City of Washington, and the American steamer Australia, all bound West, on the 14th, 19th and 22nd inst. respectively.

THE City of Manchester, which left New York on the 14th inst., and was due at Queenstown three or four days past, arrived at half-past five this morning. She brought a heavy mail, 55 cabin, and 210 steerage passengers. her voyage was prolonged by strong easterly winds, which prevailed for the past three days ; she also experienced heavy seas, accompanied on many occasions by snow and thick fogs. The Manchester ran short of coals owing to her lengthened voyage, and on her arrival she steamed up to the wharf of the local agent, (Captain Seymour) where upwards of one hundred tons were placed on board.

   MUTINY AT SEA.—The following is a report of the voyage of the ship Thomas Fielden, of Liverpool, O'Donohue, master :—“Left Queenstown, October 4th, at three p.m., bound for St. John, N.B. Nothing particular occurred other than strong gales and bad weather, until October 12, in lat. 50 0, long 25 30 west, at half-past one p.m. After close reefing the topsails, the crew came aft and said they could not proceed any further to the westward, as in consequence of the ship rolling heavily they were afraid to go aloft. I endeavoured to appease them, but without effect. I let the ship lie three days under close-reefed topsails, keeping the crew on bread and water. On the third day, finding the ship making bad weather, I had to keep away ; wind westerly. I called the crew and asked them to square away, which they did ; at the same time I was determined to seek assistance from the first ship I chanced to meet. On the 16th October (nautical time), lat. 51.40, lon. 18.21 west, saw a ship ahead, standing to the westward ; stood on and neared her. When I wanted to tack, crew refused to haul yards, and took to the forecastle ; hove all aback and up ensign, when the ship bore down upon us and proved to be the American ship Star of the West, of and for New York, Captain Morrison. Hailed him and told him what was the matter, and, the day being fine, asked him to come on board, which he did, and proposed to my crew to take them and give me his, which they (my crew) declined. I then asked him for four of his crew, so that I could proceed to the westward, to which he consented ; and his second officer, Mr. Harrison (a determined man) being with him and finding my ship with a good suit of sails bent, and seeing the imposition, said, "If my captain will consent I will make a fifth man to help you," to which Capt. Morrison generously consented, and sent his four men on board when we proceeded on our voyage and arrived at this port to-day. In conclusion, I return my most sincere thanks to Captain Morrison, for his manly and generous conduct. Had I not been so fortunate as to meet with him on the voyage, there is no doubt I should have had to put back to Queenstown, which would have been a serious loss to my owners. My thanks are also due to Mr. Harrison, his second officer, and the four gallant fellows of his crew who volunteered their services, and were mainly instrumental in bringing my ship safely to this port—JOHN O'DONOHUE, master, ship Thomas Fielden, St. John, N.B., Nov. 25, 1861.”
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 28 December 1861
   LIVERPOOL, SATURDAY.—The Crimean, s.s., for Alexandria, came into collision at six last evening, in the river, with the Standard steamer for Dublin. The funnel of the latter was knocked overboard. She was so much injured that she sunk near Waterloo Pier, while in tow by the Lioness steam-tug, and remains with her head to the Northward.

YESTERDAY evening a pair of horses under a carriage belonging to Mr. Copinger, Blackrock, took fright, whilst standing opposite the “Queen's Old Castle,” and dashed at full speed down the Parade. A woman named mary Ryan, who resides on Kyrl's Quay, was knocked down by them, and thrown in front of the carriage, but before the horses, whose speed had been checked by the accident, had advanced further, Sub-constable McNamara and a number of men seized the reins, and succeeded in pulling them up. The woman was then removed to the shop of Mr. Scannell, apothecary, where some slight wounds which she had received on the head were dressed.
   MITCHELSTOWN, DEC. 27.—On the 5th instant a farmer, named William Lyons, who resided near this town, at a place called Flemmingstown, came into the market and was not heard of until Saturday last, when his body was found by the police in the River Funcheon. On Monday, a post mortem examination was held by order of Mr. Henry Barry, Coroner, by Doctors O'Neill and Phelan, and the inquest was adjourned until this day (Friday). It seems the deceased had been drinking during the day, and when his wife wanted to take him home, he got out of the donkey's car in which he had been placed, and was found a distance of three or four miles from his residence. Several reports are spread abroad as to there being foul play, but there were no marks of external or internal violence on the body. Mr. Fitzgibbon, solicitor, has been retained by the friends of deceased, and Mr. O'Mara, solicitor, by the friends of the widow, in whose company deceased was last seen. The enquiry has not concluded.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 31 December 1861
   November 8th, at Papamhon House, Allshabad, the wife of Captain Dennehy, Bengal army, and of Brooklodge, in this county, of a son.
   On the 12th inst., at Sweet Briar Park, Tramore, the wife of Daniel Curtin, Esq., of a daughter.
   On the 27th inst., at Glanatore, the wife of R. J. Maxwell Gumbleton, Esq., J.P., of a son and heir.
   On the 30th inst., at Ballincollig, the wife of Dr. Roundtree, of a daughter.
   On the 23rd inst., at Upper Fitzwilliam-street, Dublin, the wife of Patrick Hare, Esq., of a daughter.
   On the 23rd inst., at 98, Lower Dorset-street, Dublin, the wife of Thomas O'Reilly, Esq., of Kilnahard House, county of Cavan, of a son.
   On the 27th inst., at 102, Lower Baggot-street, Dublin, the wife of Bolton J. Waller, Esq., of a son. 
   December 26, at Birmingham, the wife of Captain William Corbett, Military Train, of a daughter.

   November 27th, in St. Andrew's, Ballyholbert, Robert Decy Hutchinson, of Dublin, merchant, to Wilhelmina Elizabeth, daughter of the Rev. William Spedding, vicar of Ballyholbert, diocese of Down.

   December 27, William Robert, seventh and much beloved son of Samuel Boucher, 20, Suffolk- street, Dublin.
   Oct. 5, at Arrumbooro, New South Wales, John Sands, Esq., late of Limerick.
   On the 18th inst., at Boulogne-sur-Mer, aged 4 years and 6 months, George Alexander Handcock, youngest son of Lieut.-Col. the Hon. R. F. Handcock.
   On the 30th inst., in Hardwick-street, Dublin, Marcia, daughter of the late Mark Maziere, Esq., formerly of Eccles-street.
   Dec. 29, at his residence, Primrose-hill, Lucan, county Dublin, Frederick M'Garry, Esq.—R.I.P.
   Dec. 26, at Blessington, Anna, widow of Thomas Costello, Esq., barrister-at-law.
   THE SCARCITY OF FUEL.—Immense quantities of felled timber have been drawn from Garabally woods during the past week. Though intended for the poor, may be purchased by all at very moderate prices, as the supply is almost inexhaustible. This circumstance has tended to prevent the price of turf from advancing in our market, which is still well supplied. The Earl of Clancarty is at present giving employment to every able- bodied man belonging to Ballinasloe and its vicinity who is inclined to work at fair wages. Lord Clonbrook has, with his usual consideration for the poor, and with the view of supplying the deficiency in fuel, given directions to cut down large quantities of timber firewood. A considerable amount has been already removed from his lordship's extensive plantations, and has proved of great utility to the neighbourhood.—Westmeath Independent.
   The news received yesterday from the Federal States has produced very little alteration at Lloyd's, although the attitude assumed by the people at New York, on hearing the demand made by the British Government for the unconditional surrender of Mason and Slidell, was sufficient to strengthen the risks.
    NEW LUNATIC ASYLUM, CO. DOWN.—The Lords Justices have ordered that there be erected and established at or near Downpatrick, in the County of Down, in and for the proposed new District of Down, an asylum sufficient to contain and accomodate three hundred lunatic poor, such asylum to be called the Down District Lunatic Asylum.
   PENALTY OF £2,200 FOR KEEPING A PRIVATE “STILL.”— At a Justice of Peace Court held on Monday, William Cruickshank, residing in Portobello, pleaded guilty to keeping an inlicensed still for the manufacture of spirits in his premises in Portobello. There were eleven vessels found on the premises, and the accused was ordered to pay a fine of £200 for each vessel, making £2,200 in all.—Scotsman.
   Lady Franklin, the widow of the great Arctic navigator, has been visiting the Sandwich Islands, in the Pacific Ocean.
   A BRIDGE OF SIZE.—Some of the Italian journals state that a project is in contemplation for uniting Sicily to the main land by throwing across the Strait of Messina a bridge of four arches. —Builder.

   To a lady for £1, per Rev. Canon Browne, in aid of St. Patrick's Orphan Asylums.
Submitted by dja

Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.