The Cork Examiner, 23 July 1852
Reporter and Vindicator Office, Thursday,    
July 22nd, 4 o'Clock, p.m.         
    We deplore to state that blood—innocent blood—the blood of men in the prime of early manhood—of men who, as far as we have heard, gave no cause for the guilty deed, was this day shed at Six-mile-bridge, one of the polling places in Clare for the election now being carried on for that county, and within about seven miles of this city.
   It appears that so early as 11 o'clock, a.m., to-day, a company of the 31st Regt. of Foot under the command of Captain ———, and accompanied by Mr. Christopher Delmege, jun., J.P., was proceeding through the village above-mentioned, escorting voters on the property of the Marquis of Conyngham. As they were passing through the village, the Courthouse was occupied by a great number of persons, including several magistrates of the county, several clergymen, and several freeholders. The people in the village hissed and hooted Lord Conyngham's voters, and some state that stones were thrown, but we have not heard the fact on sufficient authority to render it positive. Others allege that it was not until a second attempt was made to rescue the voters, and the gun of one of the soldiers smashed with a stone, that the officer gave orders to fire. It would appear that a murderous fire was discharged in two directions—one towards the chapel—the other down the street of the village, where a large police force, consisting of 40 men, was stationed at the time. The noise of the firing withdrew the occupants of the Court- house from the building. They rushed into the street and to their inexpressible horror they found five of their fellow-countrymen shot dead, and several others wounded. We have heard that the number of wounded had not been ascertained when our informant left.
   Those who were recognised are :—
   Thomas Ryan, Castlecrine, not married, dead ;
   James Frawley, New Park, not married, dead ;
   James Casey, Tradree, not married, dead ;
   Michael Coleman, Tradree, not married, dead ;
   Jeremiah Frawley, Newmarket, not married, dead ;
   John Reilly, Bunratty, married and large family.
The majority of these were voters ; and nearly all were men in comfortable circumstances as farmers. The rumour, as we have stated, in Six-mile-bridge was, that the order to fire had been given by the officer. It is impossible to describe the excitement which prevailed. The people were unarmed ; in fact, it is believed that in the entire barony there are not two stand of arms!!!
   Mr. James Frost, of Bunker's Hill, presided in the Court House, and he was peremptorily called upon to stop the polling while so many of the people lay dead in the street.
   There was no polling up to 1 o'clock, p.m. After this frightful deed of blood, a special messenger was dispatched to this garrison for more troops, when Horse Artillery, and two companies of the 31st Regiment were sent out.
   Mr. Cronin, R.M., was present, and stated he gave no orders to fire, nor were the muskets of the soldiery and police under his command loaded.
   The Rev. Mr. Clune, P.P., was hit in the hat with a spent ball. 
   Several of the clergy of the district were present, and did what they could to allay the excitement.
   There was a party of the 3d Dragoon Guards present, but did not interfere.
   At six o'clock, p.m., the Rev. Garrett O'Sullivan, of Parteen, drove in to Limerick with some of the voters, and has confirmed the above.

(From the Dundalk Democrat.)
   Charles Gavan Duffy has triumphed over the renegade Redington at New Ross. This is a great victory for Ireland, for Democracy, and for Tenant Right. Mr. Duffy will be a tower of strength to the people's cause in the House of Commons, and to the Irish Parliamentary party an invaluable accession. Our readers will find his speech at the hustings published elsewhere, and they will read with pleasure the castigation he inflicted on the traitor.
   We rejoice also that Mr. Maguire has been returned for Dungarvan. “There is luck in odd numbers” and in this the third struggle Mr. Maguire has made to rescue Dungarvan from Whiggery he has succeeded. He is an able man and will make a good representative.

   The Treasurer of the North Infirmary begs leave to acknowledge the receipt of £10 donation, from G. Hudson, Esq., per Dr. Hobart.
   The Trustees of the South Charitable Infirmary thankfully acknowledge having received from George Hudson, Esq., jun., the sum of £10, in aid of the funds of that Institution.
   The Governesses of the Cork Lying-in Hospital thankfully acknowledge the receipt of £20, from George Hudson, jun., Esq., per W. K. Tanner, Esq., M.D.
   The Earl of Derby arrived in London on Saturday, from Osborne, Isle of Wight. The noble Earl afterwards proceeded to St. Leonard's, near Windsor.
   The Earl and Countess of Clarendon purpose returning to London from their continental tour, early in September.
   The Earl of Aberdeen and the Hon. Arthur Gordon have arrived at Haddo House, N.B., for the season. The Hon. Admiral Gordon, M.P., was to join the noble Earl on Thursday last.
   Viscount and Viscountess Melbourne are seeing company at Brockett Hall, Herts.
   The Hon. Mr. and Mrs. Smyth Vereker have left Chesham-place, for Germany.
   The Duke and Duchess of Norfolk and Lady Adeliza Howard have left St. James-square, for Arundel Castle, where much company is expected during the ensuing week.
   The Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire, the youthful Earl of Hillsborough, and family, arrived at Hanover-square on Monday, from a brief tour in Germany. The Dowager Marchioness has left Grosvenor-street, on a visit to Lord and Lady Edwin Hill, at Norwood Park, Notts.
   COUNT D'OORSAY.—We are sorry to hear that the health of this celebrated individual is in a very precarious condition.
   The Earl and Countess of Lanesborough have left Great Stanhope-street, on a tour of North Wales.

   July 17, at No. 1, Park-lane, Viscountess Seaham, of a son and heir.
   July 14, at Woolwich, the wife of Captain Nedham, Royal Artillery, of a daughter.
   On Tuesday, the 6th inst., at Munich, the Princess Luitpold of Bavaria, of a daughter.
   On Wednesday, the 7th inst., the Queen of Sardinia was prematurely delivered of a child, which died soon after its birth.

   July 15, at Kilmurry Church, by Rev. Somers Payne, jun., assisted by the Rev. Robert Edward Warren, John Payne, Esq., son of the Rev. Somers Payne, of Upton, to Sarah, eldest daughter of the Rev. Robert Warren, of Crookstown, both of the county Cork.
   July 17, at St. Peter's Church, Dublin, by the Rev. Mr. Wallace, John Joseph Lyons, Esq., of Gloucester-street, to Emily, daughter of the late James Moore, Esq.
   July 17, at St. James's, Piccadilly, by the Hon. and Right Rev. the Lord Bishop of Carlisle, Charles D'Aguilar, Esq., Captain, Royal Horse Artillery, youngest son of Lieutenant-General Sir George D'Aguilar, K.C.B., to Emily, second daughter of Vice-Admiral the Hon. Joceline Percy, C.B.

   July 18, at Proby-square, Blackrock, Dublin, James Roe, Esq., aged 72 years.
   July 17, at Blackrock, Cork, of apoplexy, Eyre Evans, Esq., jun., eldest son of Eyre Evans, Esq., of Ash-hill Towers, co. Limerick. Mr. Evans was a magistrate of the counties of Cork and Limerick, and was married in 1837 to the Hon. Sophia Crofton, sister to the present Lord Crofton, by whom he has left a young family to deplore his loss. 
   Of paralysis, at Ardvallen, Kilmallock, the residence of his uncle, the Rev. John Gabbett, Daniel Fitzgerald Gabbett, Esq., aged 23 years, late 12th Royal Lancers.
   At her residence, Gardiner-street, Dublin, on the 19th inst., Maria, relict of the late Thomas O'Donnell, Esq., of Cork, and eldest daughter of William O'Hara, Esq., of this city.
   On the 25th ult., at New York, aged 22, Ellen, daughter of Michael Deady, of Dingle, co. Kerry.
   On the 6th inst., in London, Alfred Oldridge, the well-known manufacturers of “Oldridge's Balm of Columbia.”
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 28 July 1852

(From the Banner of Ulster.)
   In addition to coercion and intimidation of the most violent description, on the part of the landlords, agents, bailiffs, and similar functionaries, the confederated aristocracy carried out to a frightful extent their policy of the “Bludgeon Brigade.” On Wednesday, bands of hired ruffians, in hundreds, armed with prodigious clubs, and other weapons, were sent down to Newtownards from Hillsborough, Lisburn, Belfast, &c., while a steamer, specially engaged for that purpose, landed a similar battalion on the county Down coast from Mr. Ker's Redhall estate in the county Antrim. The object was to overpower the tenant-right men in the Newtownards district and had an overwhelming force of military and police not been in attendance, the Swiss mercenaries in question would have accomplished their object beyond all doubt. At Downpatrick a still worse system of terrorism and of mob-outrage was resorted to, no fewer than twelve or fourteen of the tenant right voters having been nearly murdered by the gentry's paid assassins, and many others severely injured. At Hillsborough, the mob exceeded in ferocity and violence everything that can be imagined ; and, indeed, at all the places mentioned, an unlimited supply of ardent spirits was kept up, for the purpose of inflaming the savageism of the bludgeon-men, whenever they began to exhibit any symptoms of returning Christianity. The conduct of many of the officials both at Hillsborough and Downpatrick, was disgracefully partizan. In fact, at Hillsborough, particularly, it was with the utmost difficulty that the friends of Mr. Crawford could get their votes recorded at all, as the intention of the landlord faction was to have a gross majority, if possible, proclaimed in their own favour on the first day's poll, for the purpose of creating discouragement throughout the country. Another policy contemplated was the excitement of a panic amongst timid men, lest by coming up to poll for Mr. Crawford they should be exposed to personal ill-treatment from the mercenaries in the pay of the landlord coalition. At Newtownards, particularly, the conduct of some landlords toward their tenantry in the polling booths was so overbearing, that two, at least, of these gentry, though holding her Majesty's commission of the peace, were taken into custody by the police and were thrust out amongst their appropriate companions—the bludgeon-men. A furious onset was also made by a band of low Episcopalian “Protestants,” from Belfast, upon a Presbyterian minister, not hitherto obnoxious to that body—and so threatening was this onset, that, if a gentleman had not stepped suddenly forward, and had not put a pistol into the rev. gentleman's hand, which pistol he presented to his assailants, and thus checked their violence until the driver of his car had time to make a hurried escape, it is believed that his life would have been sacrificed. The tenant-right men have fought a noble battle in the face of difficulties unexampled in the history of county elections.

   PUNISHING A REFRACTORY VOTER.—Our Killaloe correspondent writes—“An old man named Connor Scanlan was making his way on Thursday to Tulla, to vote for Vandeleur ; after refusing to go with the people, he was met at Newtown, outside Killaloe, by a lot of women, who stripped him of every stitch he wore but the shirt. After lashing him with nettles for a time, they hung his clothes up in a high tree, and let him proceed across a mountain to Garranboy, a distance of two miles, naked as he was. His wife and daughter, on seeing him approach, locked the door, and commenced roaring that it was his ghost, and that he must have been murdered on the road.—Limerick Examiner.

   MALLOW, THURSDAY.—An inquest was held by R. Jones, Esq., coroner, on a man named Edward Tobin, who had committed suicide at the depot, Fairlane, Mallow.— From the statement of a boy named Buckley, who lived in the house with the deceased, it appeared the unfortunate man at 11 o'clock this morning sent the lad to purchase three-half-penceworth of rope, which having got, he made a slip noose at one end, and caused the boy to fasten the other end to one of the collar beams of the roof, after which he sent the lad of a message. When next seen he was found lifeless, hanging from the beam with the noose around his neck. Dr. Barry stated the deceased had been under his care in the poorhouse, where he was subject to fits of dyspepsia and indigestion, which he considered would be likely to give rise to paroxysms of insanity. The jury returned a verdict of “Suicide while labouring under temporary insanity.”—Constitution.

   THE STOCKPORT OUTRAGE.—CARDINAL WISEMAN.— Cardinal Wiseman paid a visit to Stockport on Tuesday, and inspected the Edgeley and Rock-row chapels, and the various other parts of town that suffered during the late dusturbance. He left the town en route for Buxton, near to which place he is to stay for a short time as the guest of Mr. Grimshaw, a recent convert to the Catholic faith. The feeling of exasperation between the two nations still continues very prevalent, and requires little to call it into violent action. The English people in the mills are striking against the employment of the Irish ; in one instance they have been successful, and expect to be so in more.—Globe.

   SINGULAR CHASE IN THE CHANNEL.—On Sunday evening last, the Otillia sailed from the Mersey for Australia, leaving behind no fewer than 23 passengers who had the imprudence to come ashore, under the impression, it is believed, that the vessel would not take her departure before Monday. Early on Monday morning they were thunderstruck at finding that she had sailed, taking with her their outfit, necessaries, extra stores, and money. In a state of the most frantic excitement they repaired to the office of the agent, who instantly telegraphed to his agent at Holyhead, directing him to put a steamer in readiness to go in search of the runaway ship, and dispatched the whole of the passengers by first train. Arrived at Holyhead, little time was lost in transferring them to the steamer and putting to sea. After a cruise of some hours, the Otillia was discovered at a considerable distance to the westward ; but being on what is called in nautical phrase “a wind,” and being, moreover, a vessel of first rate sailing qualities, she gallantly pursued her course. Every possible means of attracting the notice of the vanishing vessel was put into requisition ; guns were fired, and signals of true “distress” were hoisted, and not a few of the agitated and harassed passengers exerted their lungs with a vigorous hail—a remedy of somewhat doubful efficacy at four mile's range—but to little effect. The Otillia still held on her course, and continuing rapidly to increase the distance between herself and the pursuing steamer, the chase was finally given up in despair, after an exciting trial of five hours. The passengers have since returned to Liverpool, as may well be supposed, in a state of the utmost despondency.—Liverpool Mercury.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 30 July 1852
   July 25, at Greenmount, Castlebellingham, the Lady of Richard Macan, Esq., of a son.
   July 26, at Philipsburgh Avenue, the Lady of James Marshall, Esq., of a son.
   July 23, at Cottingham, Yorkshire, the wife of Edward Dunbar Dunbar, Esq., of Sea-park, Morayshire, Captain 21st Fusiliers, of a daughter.
   July 24, at Duncan Cottage, Sion-hill, Bath, the wife of Captain Edmund Palmer, of the Royal Artillery, of a son.

   July 27, at St. Peter's Church, by the Lord Bishop of Tuam, uncle to the bride, Richard Greene, Esq., second son of the Right Hon. Baron Greene, to Louisa Lelias, fourth daughter of the Hon. John Plunket, and grand-daughter of Lord Plunket and the Right Hon. Charles Kendal Bushe, late Chief Justice of the Queen's Bench.
   A few days ago, Lieutenant S. G. A. Thursday, of the 1st Royal Regiment, third son of T. H. Thursday, Esq., of Leamington Hastings, near Southam, to Kate Dorcas, second daughter of Sir G. Forster, Bart, of Coolderry, county of Monaghan.
   July 24, at Sompting, Sussex, by the Rev. James Fry, Vicar, John Thomas Egan, Esq., of H. M. 45th Regt., late Royal Canadian Rifles, to Annie, widow of Henry William King, Esq., Stockwell, Surrey, and only daughter of the late John Rees, Esq., of the Ordnance Department, Dover.
   July 27, George Edward, second son of the late Mr. James M'Nally, of Shamrock Hill, to Julia Emily, youngest daughter of the late Peter Blake Morgan, of Monksfield, county of Galway, Esq.
   July 26, at St. Paul's Church, by the Rev. Henry Lefanu, Poyntz C. Judge, eldest son of John Chapman Judge, of Gageborough House, in the King's County, Esq., late of the 62d Regiment, and grandson of the late Col. John Judge, also of Gagesborough, to Elizabeth Hester, only child of Capt. C. Lucas, of Roseville-house, Bray, county of Wicklow.
   July 23, at Annan, Dumfries, by the Rev. W. N. Ferguson, Thomas H. Christian, Esq., of this city, to Kate, youngest daughter of John Abernathy, of Balloughar, county of Tipperary, Esq.
   At Larch-hill, in this county, on the 27th inst., aged 76, Ellen, the beloved wife of Patrick Hassel, Esq.
   July 23, in North Great George's-street, Ellen Mary, second daughter of Bryan O'Donnell, of Hill Cottage, Kilmallock, Esq.
   July 24, at 6, Mountain View, North Circular-road, after a short illness, taken whilst on circuit, Edward Howe, Esq., Barrister-at-Law.
   On the 24th inst., in her 14th year, Maria, second daughter of Thomas Swanton, Esq., of Crannliath, Ballydehob.

(Before Captain WHITE and the MAYOR.)
Information returnable to the Recorder were ordered against two women by the name of Ahern, for an outrage against Margaret Coyle by throwing stones, and using abusive language, during the excitement of the late election.

   We (Constitution) have been favoured with an extract of a letter from Australia, conveying the following very melancholy intelligence :—“We have had news of ———'s arrival out. The ship, the “Isabella Watson,” was wrecked on Port Philip Head—missed stays and struck, stern on, on a sunken rock. The first boat, filled with young married women, was swamped, and all lost. The rest held on by the vessel and were all saved. Mrs. ——— would not go in the boat, and escaped the sad fate of those who did. The surviviors hoped to recover most of their property.”—The “I.W.” sailed from Plymouth about November last, with respectable passengers only.
Submitted by dja

Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.