The Cork Examiner, 9 November 1846
AN inquest was held on Friday last at twelve o'clock in the City Bridewell, before Mr. Coroner Hardy and a jury, on view of the body of Catherine Aherne, an unfortunate woman of the town, who committed suicide on Wednesday morning, by throwing herself into the river, from off Lavitt's Quay, under circumstances alluded to in a previous number of the Examiner.
   Mr. Scannell was in attendance professionally. His Worship the Mayor was also present.
   The three women, named Maria Leech, Catherine Keogh and Catherine Foley, who, it will be remembered, were in custody on the charge of violently assaulting the deceased, immediately previous to the committal of the rash act, were allowed to be present during the investigation.
   John Leary, a Blackrock fisherman, being sworn, deposed to finding the body of the deceased, when hauling in his net on Wednesday morning between the hours of twelve and 1 o'clock, and that the body had then no covering except a mere night garment.
   Elizabeth Linehan, an inhabitant of Godsill's Lane, who rented a room in which the deceased lived for near twelve months, was next examined, and deposed that the deceased, who she never saw drunk more than once, was coming into the lane on Wednesday morning, about one o'clock, when she was attacked by Maria Leech, who came up to her, and exclaimed “now you b—— of a w—— I have you in Godsill's Lane, where I can have satisfaction out of you ;” she then struck the deceased, who was also attacked by Kate Keogh ; both prisoners were entangled in the deceased, when Catherine Foley rushed out and struck the deceased, but could not tell whether it was with a brick-bat or with a stone ; deceased however was cut, and putting her hand to her head, she staggered to the door ; Foley, before entering her house, said “that was the way to pay her off, and that she would pay others in the same manner ;” deceased, who did not speak a word, went towards the river, but did not see her throw herself into it ; saw her since dead.
   Mr. Scannell cross-examined this witness, who prevaricated much—indeed, she swore in her cross- examination diametrically opposite to that which she swore in her direct examination.
   Dr. W. Beamish, being sworn, deposed that he had examined the body of the deceased, and that the only mark of violence he could find was a wound of the scalp, on the left side and near the top of the head ; the body had the appearance of being taken out of the water ; thinks the wound may have been inflicted by either a sharp or a blunt instrument ; there was no effusion of blood between the scalp and the skull, which was usual where a severe or violent blow was inflicted ; a great deal of blood may have flowed from the wound, so as to disfigure her person ; conceiving that there may be some internal injury, although, as was often the case, there may be no corresponding external serious appearance, opened the head, but the brain presented no unnatural appearance ; there was no fracture, neither the wound nor the appearance of the brain, was sufficient to account for death ; it was his opinion that death was caused by drowning.
   To the Coroner—The effect of the blow which deceased received may have stunned her ; but does not think it would cause temporary insanity.
   To a Juror—The wound may have been received in the water by coming into contact with a stone or other sharp substance.
   Ellen Norris, an inhabitant also of Godsill's-lane, deposed that having heard screeching and bauling she went out, and saw the deceased, on the night in question, leaning against the wall, and blood flowing from her head ; heard her say “you will all be sorry for this to-morrow morning ;” deceased then ran up the lane, followed by another girl, towards the “slip ;” witness also followed, and saw deceased loosening the “hooks” of her gown ; implored her to come up and put the bad thoughts out of her head ; but although another girl endeavoured to prevent her, deceased threw off her gown and jumped into the river, which was high at the time ; witness raised the alarm, but although some persons came no one went into her rescue ; deceased swam strong for some time, but sunk under the bridge ; deceased, who was a young girl, did not speak whilst in the water.
   After a few words from the Coroner, on the testimony of Dr. Beamish, which clearly proved that no mortal wound had been inflicted on the deceased by the prisoners, the jury returned the following verdict :— “That between the hours of one or two o'clock on Wednesday morning, the deceased, Catherine Aherne, was violently assaulted by Mary Leech, Catherine Keogh and Catherine Foley, but received from them no serious or mortal wound in said assault, but acting under such excitement, caused by said assault, said deceased ran to Levitt's-quay, and threw herself into the river, in which she sank, and was yesterday taken out of the river Lee dead from drowning.”
   The prisoners were then remanded.
C I T Y   S E S S I O N S   C O U R T—F R I D A Y.
   Bridget Sullivan pleaded guilty to stealing a coat, value 10s. and a pair of trowsers of like value, the property of the 87th Regiment, and was sentenced to two months imprisonment.
   Daniel Fitzgerald and Andrew Murphy, pleaded not guilty to stealing a hat, value 2s. the property of Laurence Conner.
   Laurence Conner deposed that he went to Mr. French's office to pay rent, and left his hat at the door ; when it was taken away.
   Mr. William Murphy, Crown Solicitor, appeared for the prosecution. Mr. P. O'Connell for the defence ; and after four witnesses were examined, Fitzgerald was found guilty and sentenced to six months' imprisonment with hard labour ; the last four days to be in solitary confinement ; and Murphy was acquitted.
   Mr. O'Brien applied to the Court—that as the Jury had ignored the Bill in the case of Hayes v. Hunt, to have the money, £16, in the hands of one of the Police Officers, and which had been taken from the defendant, handed to the rightful owner—or at least handed to the person holding an order for the same. —Complied with.
   John Hutchins, convicted of being concerned in the robbery of Denis Kidney, on the Coal Quay, was brought up for sentence, and after being addressed by his Worship, who, on the recommendation of the Jury, and contrary to his own wish, he would not transport him at that time ; he should however do so if he ever appeared before him again. He was then sentenced to 10 months' imprisonment, with hard labour ; the last four days to be spent in solitary confinement.
   James Ellard pleaded not guilty to stealing a pig value £2 the property of John Reynolds.
   Mr. O'Brien appeared for the prosecution and Mr. O'Connell for the defence.
   John Reynolds examined—Had a pig ; lost it about 7 o'clock on the morning of the 12th of August ; on searching for it, found it at Mr. Uncles' slaughter-house, killed, cleaned, and hanging up ; knew it from marks on the snout and ear ; the prisoner wanted him to sell the pig, and was seen near his house for two days previous to the robbery.
   Mr. P. O'Connell cross examined this witness, when he acknowledged that he did go to the Packet office and there claim a pig as the one stolen from him.
   Benjamin Hill, a buyer in Mr. Uncles' employ, examined and cross-examined—Ellard sold a pig there and sold it for 3 or 4s. under the market price ; stated that he required the money very much to pay off a demand against him ; prisoner was a dealer in pigs ; was paid for the pig the day he sold it ; he was anxious to have it killed, &c.
   Two other witnesses were also examined, one of whom would swear to the head of the pig in question “even if it was boiled.”
   Mr. O'Connell addressed the jury, and contended that the evidence was not sufficient to convict the prisoner.
   His Worship then summed up, and the jury, after an absence of some minutes' returned a verdict of guilty.
   Mr. O'Connell here informed his worship that since the jury had retired Mr. Uncles had come into court and was ready to disprove every particular of Hill's testimony ; he had paid the full price of the day to Ellard for the pig. Mr. O'Connell also produced witnesses to give the prisoner a good character.
   His Worship could not listen to the first part of Mr. O'Connell's application ; he would, however, always be glad to receive evidence of a prisoner's previous good character.
   Serjeants Condon and Porter gave the prisoner a good character, after which he was sentenced to 2 months' imprisonment with hard labour.
   Bridget Long was brought up for sentence, and, after being cautioned never to appear before his Worship again or he would certainly transport her, was ordered 6 months' imprisonment with hard labour.
   John Shean and Mary Shean found guilty, at a previous sitting of the Court, of robbery, were also brought up, when the former was sentenced to 6 months' imprisonment with hard labour, and the latter to three months' imprisonment with hard labour.
   Daniel Mahony was found guilty of an assault upon Johanna Higgins and sentenced to a week's imprisonment, after which the Court adjourned.

   On Wednesday, the Lord Lieutenant decided that an asylum for lunatics, to contain 300, shall, with the approbation of the Earl of Kenmare, and other landed proprietors in that locality, be erected in Killarney. We hail this as a commencement of a boon to the most afflicted of our species, who will, henceforward, be received into the Limerick asylum, which, at present, contains 110 patients from the county Kerry. Dr. White, Inspector-General, and Mr. Owen, of the Board of Works, are ordered to Killarney, to view a site on which the building is to be erected. To the untiring and strenuous exertions of Dr. White, is the cause of humanity indebted for his important extension of one of the works of mercy. —Limerick Chronicle.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 13 November 1846
POTATOES may rot, but our piety is proverbial and long- lived. Time was when tithes had an existence for the benefit of the poor, and their right was mixed up with the Christian charity of our being. But times change, and we change with them. A cold-blooded Poor Law and barricaded workhouses are a sad and sorry substitute for the ever-open door and the hospitable board always spread. We are indeed fallen upon gloomy days, when the foodless are treated like felons—when poverty and prisons are associated in our minds, and in order to live we must resign our liberty. The payment of tithes—the charge of tithe upon the land—is a question of great importance to the country if properly understood. Why should there be a poor rate, if the administration of tithes was founded upon a rational basis? The most anamolous and the most extraordinary right, that ever was recognized and acted on in a civilised country, is that of the claim of a few Protestant gentlemen to a tenth of the produce of the soil of Ireland. A few individuals thus have received every tenth year, the entire produce of the soil of the land ; and yet we go on in our blindness!
   Here is a missive on the part of the Rev. H. SOMERVILLE, telling some owner of land, that he will be willing (D.V., only mark the piety?) to receive his half year's tithes.
   How many Rev. HENRY SOMERVILLES are there in Ireland, equally known, and equally dear to the population?
“Doneraile, Nov. 11th, 1846    
   “SIR—I beg leave to inform you that on Saturday, the 28th instant, I shall be ready (D.V.) to receive the half-year's Tithe Rent Charge, which became due to the Rev. Henry Somerville, on the 1st of this month, and I trust that it will be your convenience to let me have your proportion on that day.
   “I have the honour to be, Sir, your obedient humble servant,
“JOHN B. BURY.”     
S O U P   S H O P S .
MEMBERS of the Society of Friends—a body generally foremost in works of practical philanthropy—have established in Clonmel, and Waterford, houses, in which Soup is made for the poor, and sold to them at one penny per quart. In this City, the Society has determined to proceed in the same manner. Some of its members requested the use of the North Main Street Market as a place in which to erect a boiler —capable of furnishing over one hundred gallons of soup each day. It is intended to be made from good beef, with peas. Near £100 was subscribed by the members of this truly Christian Society, in a short time, and they intend to support it by their monthly subscriptions. We think they should not be left to carry on so expensive a good work, unaided by the citizens in general. We are glad that some return will be made by the sale of this soup. We are opposed, on principle, to the degrading plan of mendicant relief. The people have a right to look for employment and food, honestly earned, from their superiors and governors. But we regret to say that the tardy and blundering proceedings of the government still permit them to suffer all the evils of scarcity. In this state of uncertainty and distress, the generous interference of the Society of Friends is doubly beneficent, and is entitled to the gratitude of the Citizens of Cork.

TRALEE, WEDNESDAY A respectable young man named Joyce, a carpenter met his death yesterday at Leahy's public house, near the Killarney Race ground. It appears that the deceased was on his way from Lady Headley's, where he was working, when he unfortunately turned into this house, where more than one accident has occurred, and met with his death. I have not heard more than what I now communicate, but will give particulars in my next. This poor lad's remains are to be brought here to-morrow for interment.—Kerry Correspondent.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 20 November 1846
L O N D O N   P O L I C E .
   LAMBETH.—On Saturday Maria Louisa Cook, a young woman dressed as a sailor boy, was placed at the bar before Mr. Norton, on a charge of attempting to destroy herself by taking a quantity of laudanum.
   John Constable, 43 L, stated that, while on duty on that day about 10 o'clock, a person entered the station- house, and requested his attendance at a coffee-house in the Waterloo-road, as a young sailor had just taken a quantity of poison there. He, in consequence, hastened to the house, and, finding the prisoner in a very drowsy state, with her head upon the table, and also two bottles by her side, from which laudanum had just been taken, he went in search of a doctor to attend her. Witness, on the recommendation of Dr. Brooks, took her to Gay's Hospital, when the stomach pump was used, and, being sufficiently recovered from the effects of the poison, he took her back to the station-house, and had the charge of attempting to destroy herself entered on the sheet. From the statement made by the prisoner to him (the constable) it appeared that she was the daughter of a veterinary surgeon, residing at Chulton, in the county of Somerset ; but, having become attached to a private in the 37th Regiment of Foot, she had left her home, and had latterly lived at Chatham, where her lover was quartered. The regiment had lately been ordered on foreign service, and was to embark on Monday or Tuesday next for the island of Ceylon, and the prisoner finding that her lover was to proceed there by a vessel lying in the West India Dock, sold her woman's apparel at a great sacrifice, and purchased the sailor's suit she then had on. She next proceeded to the Mariners' Register-office, and procured the necessary ticket, wherein she described herself as David Cook, born at Bristol, in the county of Glocester, Aug. 3, 1830, “capability boy,” and with this she made her way to the West India Dock, and presented herself to the captain, whom she requested to employ her as cabin- boy. The captain told her that he had already engaged with and shipped his necessary number of hands ; and being thus frustrated in all her hopes of being able to accompany the object of her affection, she had made up her mind to commit suicide. Her first intention was to throw herself from off one of the bridges, and she would have done so but that a sailor boy, whom she had brought with her from Chatham, had told her that there were such a number of crafts passing up and down the river Thames, that the probabilities were that she would drop into one of them, break some of her bones, and die a lingering death. She then made up her mind to take poison, and had procured small quantities of laudanum at different shops, and those she had taken. At the coffee- house a letter had been written by the prisoner just before she had taken the poison.
   Mr. Norton here read the letter in question, and which was as follows :—
   “Dear Thomas—I have overstepped the bonds of prudence and modesty, in hopes of being able to reach Ceylon with you. I have put on boy's apparel, and come to this sink of iniquity, London, to enter the Minerva as a boy, but when I got here the captain had shipped all his hands. I have tried to get on board several other vessels, but cannot on account of not being able to find money enough to procure sufficient clothes to go to sea with. I have sold all my own to get what I have on, and have no money to get others. I have no friends here—no place to go to— I cannot blame any person but myself. Think of me no more, Thomas, as it is useless ; you will never see or hear from me again. Remember me to Harriet and Charles. Don't make yourself at all uneasy about me. I have no more to say, but remain yours till death.
   London, Nov. 14.                         M. R. Cook.”

   Charles White said he was in the coffee-house in the Waterloo-road at the time, and perceived a very extraordinary smell, which he had no doubt was laudanum ; he looked round the place, and the young sailor, as he supposed him to be, had his head on the table, and was apparently in a state of stupor. He awoke him, or rather her, and asked if she had taken anything, and she replied that she had swallowed some laudanum with her coffee.
   Constable 43 said that the prisoner had acknowledged to him that she was in such a state of exhaustion at the time she took the poison that she could hardly keep up her head, the fear of disclosure of her sex preventing her from taking off her clothes from the moment she put them on. One night she slept in the hold of a vessel in the dock, and on Friday night at the coffee-house she sat in a chair all night, while her companion, a sailor boy, had slipped off and went to bed. She had also been afraid of washing her hands or face, but allowed them to be black and dirty, lest the fairness of her skin should disclose her sex.
   In reply to the questions of the magistrate the prisoner, who kept her face concealed from the gaze of the crowd in the court by placing her hands over it, said that she had become acquainted with the soldier about three years ago, when he belonged to a recruiting party at Bristol, and then conceived a strong attachement for him. She did not then leave her home with him, but about six months ago, finding that the regiment was quartered at Newport, in Wales, she left home and joined him there. She next accompanied him to Chatham, where she took a lodging, and he was quartered in Brompton barracks. She declared it was her intention to have destroyed herself, and only regretted that she had been prevented, and added that it was impossible to endure greater torture than those which she had experienced for the last three days.
   She was remanded for a week to give time to communicate with her friends.
   Mr. Billenton, civil engineer, who received instructions to survey this ship, and report on the geological strata of the bay, the tidal flows, her position, and the mode of floating her, has published the following report :—
   “She is stranded on the sands on the north side of Dundrum Bay, between two reefs of rocks, which extend a considerable distance into the sea, about 1,000 yards asunder. Her position is north-west, with her stern to the sea, and about 130 yards above low water, and her stern 300 yards from shore.
   “The sands average from one foot to three feet deep, upon blue gravel from nine inches to twenty inches thick, resting on blue mountain limestone rock, on which the hull now rides. The bay is frequently very rough, and the vessel difficult to board during high tides. The sands vary very little in this part of the bay, and whatever accumulation takes place from the southerly winds is removed when the winds blow easterly, which increases the facility of floating her.
   “On the starboard side the plates have been bulged, and the rivets sprung to a considerable extent, which admit freely the flowing and ebbing of the tide ; and several holes about 1½ inch diameter have been drilled through the bottom in order to prevent her from lifting or beating.
   “At spring tides there are from sixteen to seventeen feet of water in her hold, and at low water she is left dry, with an exception of a small quantity of water in the dock she has naturally formed for herself in the sand and gravel, and about two feet in her bottom, and she oscillates freely during high tides. She appears much sprung and strained, has lost her rudder, and the screw propellor is slightly damaged. The cylinders, pumps, &c., and part of the driving gear, are covered at high tide, and exposed to the action of the salt water. Her weight is about 1600 tons (without masts, &c.), and the accumulation of wreck about 200 tons more.
   “The sands on the beach at low water are very flat, with an inclination towards the sea of about 1 in 750, and the coast barren of meterials, except limestone.
   “From the practical survey I have taken (he concludes) I am fully convinced that the difficult task of floating her can be accomplished, and that respectable and experienced contractors may be found who will undertake to float her at a moderate cost.”—Colonial Gazette.

   BARBAROUS MURDER.—A man named John Wallace, residing at Stony Island, near Portumna, was inhumanly murdered on Wednesday night by three armed men, who broke into his house. The taking of land, which another tenant had given up, or been obliged to leave, is the only reason that can be assigned.—Ballinasloe Star.
   Major General Lord Frederick Fitzclarence is mentioned as likely to succeed Sir Hercules Pakenham in the command of the south-western district of England.
   Lieutenant General Sir George Berkely, late in command of the Belfast district, and promoted from the rank of Major General by the late Brevet, has been appointed to the command of the forces at the Cape of Good Hope. His eldest son, Captain Berkely, of the Scots Fusilier Guards, accompanies him as Military Secretary. Sir George is a Waterloo man, and “the Duke” seldom forgets “the old working hands of his glory.” We are very glad that he is not to be “laid on the shelf,” as a better general officer, take him all in all, never held a command in the British service.—Northern Whig.
   Exports from Waterford for the week ending Saturday, November 14 :—530 barrels of wheat ; 1930 barrels of oats ; 191 barrels of barley ; 11, 838 cwts of flour ; 100 cwts. of oatmeal, 8268 flitches of bacon, 3663 cwts of butter.
   Mr. Grubb's office, at Ferrybank, was entered on Saturday night, and about 8l. stolen from a drawer which was forced open. A reward of 10l. has been offered for the capture of the thieves.
   Mr. E. Eyre is to be appointed Lieutenant Governor of New Zealand under Governor Grey. —Times.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 23 November 1846
L O N D O N   P O L I C E .
   Two persons who had been masquerading in female attire were brought before Mr. Alderman Musgrave, at Guildhall-office, charged with stealing a pin from Frederick Newhurst, of Newcastle-street, Strand. One of them appeared at the bar in walking costume, the other had thrown away the false curls, and torn up the bonnet and dress, and appeared in a shirt ; but he had still the shawl to protect him from the cold, and from the waist he was still clothed like a woman. Amongst the articles they had cast off in the cell were a pair of stays and two napkins.
   Mr. Alderman Musgrave required the prisoners to give their real names.
   The one who still wore the complete dress, and who gave the name of Emma Anderson at the station, now said his proper name was John Anderson, and Jane Wilson became Edward Sullivan. The latter was recognised as a strolling tumbler.
   Templeman, a city policeman, stated that he saw the two prisoners standing on Holburn-hill with a gentleman about half-past twelve o'clock on Sunday night. After walking a few yards up the hill, Sullivan stopped for a couple of minutes, and then overtook his companion. They immediately left the gentleman, crossed the street and turned up Shoe-lane. From their leaving the street he suspected they had robbed the gentleman. In a few moments a constable came up with the gentleman, and said he had been robbed of a pin, and the prisoners were overtaken in Shoe-lane. The pin was not found. One of them wore silk stockings, and had very long black hair ; and their true sex not being suspected, a woman was directed to search them thoroughly. The searcher very soon cried out, “Officer, come in ; they are both men!” and she was relieved from further trouble. The gentleman did not appear that morning to support the charge.
   Mr. Alderman Musgrove [sic] asked the prisoners why they had assumed this disguise?
   Anderson, who has rather a feminine voice, said it was altogether a false charge preferred by the gentleman, because, knowing they were not women, they would not let him pull them about. they dressed as women by way of a joke, to prove that they would dare to walk to the Angel at Islington in that dress. They had been as far as that place, and were returning, without speaking to any one, when the gentleman accosted them.
   Mr. Alderman Musgrave asked if any of the police had seen them or either of them in woman's clothes before?
   George Ham, a policeman, said he had seen Anderson walking up and down on his beat, in St. Martin's le-Grand, three or four times during the last three weeks. He always wore the veil, and was always alone.
   Mr. Alderman Musgrave expected to hear such information. The training of Anderson's hair was not a momentary act. He should be happy to be convinced the whole thing was a joke, but he was apprehensive that they intended to lure men to their haunts, under the pretence of their being women, for some dreadful purpose. Such gross outrages upon the public decency and feeling must be checked in limine, and he should remand them till Friday, that the police might make a full inquiry into their past lives and habits.
   They were conveyed to gaol in a cab amidst the jeers of the crowd.

   The merchants and traders of Sligo have presented an address and piece of plate to Robert Moyler, Esq., late manager of the National Bank there, which branch is now closed, as unproductive after eight year trial.
   In consequence of the recent murderous attack upon H. P. Hickman, Esq., and family, at their residence, Fenloe, county of Clare, that much respected and eminently useful gentleman, has deemed it prudent to remove his establishment to South Wales.

   The Univers announces that five Catholic missionaries embarked at Nantes on the 7th inst., for Singapore.
   A good deal of property lost in the Hebe schooner of this port from London, wrecked at the Maharees, coast of Kerry, has got into the hands of the country people of that district. Among other things the plate chest of Lord Bloomfield, which that gentleman was getting home from London ; the chest has been found, but emptied of its valuable contents. No clue could at first be found to the discovery of this property, but the wreckers are fighting about its distribution ; and intelligence is oozing out likely to lead to the discovery of the greater part of the noble lord's plate, and of other valuable articles besides. Mr. J. Cronin, port collector of Tralee, has issued an order to all persons continuing to hold any of the vessel's cargo.—Limerick Chronicle.
   THE JURY SYSTEM—COMMISSION OF INQUIRY.—We have reason to think that the Irish government intend to institute a strict inquiry into the practices which have heretofore prevailed in the north of Ireland, or perhaps in Ireland generally, with respect to the preparation of jury lists and empanneling of juries. —Northern Whig.
   SIGNS OF THE TIMES.—The conspiracy between Old Ireland and “the base, bloody and brutal Whigs,” will produce good fruit in due time, by arousing the honest and independent men of Ireland, and causing them to unite for resistance to the rule of tyranny. One valuable step in the right line. We feel much pleasure in being able to state on good authority, that a perfect understanding has been come to between the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland and the Grand Orange Lodge of Ulster. A junction between these influential bodies has been effected, which will lead to the union, in one compact body, of every Orangeman in the kingdom. The first fruit of this organization will be attention to the registration of the parliamentary franchise. This is as it should be.—Evening Packet.
   SUBMARINE EXPLOSIONS IN THE THAMES.—The Harbour-master, Captain Fisher, has within the last few days, completed the removal of three sunken wrecks which have for some considerable time greatly impeded the navigation of the river in the Lower Hope. Their removal was effected by submarine explosions, of various charges, averaging from 50 to 500 lbs., fired by means of a galvanic battery. In the case of the larger explosion, a remarkable incident occurred at the moment of firing. An immense shoal of fish was passing the spot, and nearly the whole of them were blown out of the water to the extent of nearly 30 feet, the circumstance being followed by the raising of a huge column of water to about as great an altitude, which emitted a large portion of the destroyed wreck as if from the force of a volcano. The river, from London-bridge to the Nore, is now perfectly free of all obstruction. The dangerous shoal of hard shingle off Limehouse-reach, which stopped the navigation of vessels of a large draught at low water, has recently been entirely removed by the same means. The depth of water has been increased from four to seventeen feet at low water.—London Paper.
   An inquest was held on Monday last, before Francis Twiss, Esq., Coroner, on the body of a poor labouring man, named John Botend, of Ballireanig, to the west of Dingle, who fell on the new road there making, and expired immediately after being carried to his residence. The verdict was “he came by his death from hunger and cold.”
   On Tuesday, the following day, an inquest was also held on the body of John Browne, Kilquane, who died on the road from Tralee through Littlerough to Dingle on Monday last, as he was on his way from the Workhouse at Tralee to Dingle—fell on the road and was taken into a farmer's house at Kilcummen—and expired in a few hours after. The Verdict was “that John Browne, being in the Union Workhouse and making his way home to Dingle, a distance of over 30 miles, died of fatigue and weakness.” —Kerry Examiner.
    STARVATION.—Thursday last Mr. Atkinson, coroner, held an inquest on the body of Thomas Hopkins, at Rathnagh, near Crossmolina, county Mayo. Patrick Langan, son-in- law to the deceased, deposed that the family consisted of five children, himself, his wife, and deceased, and that they had been for the last six weeks subsisting on a scanty morsel of food on some days, and on others were obliged to remain without it ; witness is certain that want of food was the cause of death. Dr. M'Nair examined the body, and corroborated the testimony of the witness, and the jury returned a verdict accordingly.
   ANOTHER DEATH FROM STARVATION.—On Wednesday last a poor man named Williams, from the neighbourhood of Foxford, left his residence for the purpose of seeking admission into the Swinford poor-house ; when he had proceeded about half way he sunk exhausted from hunger, and after having been conveyed into a neighbouring house he expired. Such is the fearful destitution prevalent in that district that there was nearly 200 paupers more in the Swinford union workhouse than the house was intended to contain.—Mayo Constitution.

   DEATH DURING A HEARTY LAUGH.—Mr. Baker held an inquest at the Bricklayer's Arms. Gloucester-street, Mile- end, Newtown, on the body of Elizabeth Walker, aged 40, a married woman, who resided at No. 28, Nottingham place, London. The deceased, on Saturday afternoon, was in the company of a few friends, when, on a remark being made by one of the company, she gave way to a hearty laugh. In a minute after a quantity of blood flowed from her mouth, which, in a moment after, gushed out. Mr. Shaw, a surgeon of the neighbourhood, was sent for, but on his arrival life was extinct. Verdict—“Died by the visitation of God.”

   BIRMINGHAM, WEDNESDAY.—Yesterday morning an explosion of fire-damp took place in one of Mr. Parker's high-pressure pits at Round green, New Colliery, near Oldbury, by which 19 men were killed. One lies in a hopeless state, and several others severely injured. About half-past five o'clock the first relay of the colliers went down the shaft. About half an hour after the butty or manager, and his son, went down in a skip ; at six four others followed, and by seven five-and-twenty men had descended to the works. One of these was “the doggy,” or person whose duty it is to prove [sic] the pit with a safety lamp before the colliers go to work, but who on this melancholy occasion does not appear to have taken this precaution. After the men had been at work for some short time, and had sent up four skips of coal, an explosion took place, shaking the ground to a considerable distance, and followed by the emission of smoke and flame f rom the shaft. The banksman in attendance at the mouth of the pit instantly gave the alarm, and several men from the neighbouring quarry went down the shaft. With difficulty the bodies of sixteen men were got up, the shaft being 180 yards in depth. Three were subsequently recovered alive, but died soon after they were brought to the top. Another was almost hopelessly injured, the remaining four escaped unhurt. The dead bodies presented a shocking appearance, the whole being dreadfully scorched and burnt ; and altogether the scene was one of the most calamitous description. Morning Chronicle.

   A ROMANCE.—A Colonel of Dragoons is on friendly relations with a family in the neighbourhood of his quarters. In the interchange of civilities an orderly is often employed. The orderly, being a fine-looking soldier, finds favour in the eyes of the fair daughter of the house, as he gallops up to the door each day. Stolen glances are exchanged. The young lady now herself brings down the answers to the notes, messages, &c. Little conversations ensue—the conversations lead to interviews—interviews to confessions and vows—and the confessions and vows to elopement and marriage. The Colonel is astonished—the parents storm—and the orderly-corporal is deprived of his “stripes” for prolonged absence. Denouement.—The orderly appears in his real character ; he is the son of a gentleman of high resepctability in England ; the young couple will be possessed of a competency—a commission is to be procured for the soldier—husband—parents are reconciled—all parties are pleased—and true love is rewarded! Our readers will wonder why we have been giving these abstracts from the note-book of some writer of vaudeville or comedietta ; but, unless we are misinformed, the play has been recently acted in real life—the scene Edinburgh ; and the time October, 1846.—Edinburgh Journal.
   THE DRAMA IN NEW YORK.—The drama is at present in a more flourishing condition in this country than it ever has been. A new impetus has been given to it since the arrival of the Keans. They, in concert with the very liberal, judicious, and spirited management of the Park, have commenced a series of Shaksperian [sic] revivals, which, for historic truth, fullness and splendour, have never been equalled on any stage. Our readers doubtless remember the brilliant effect of the tragedy of “Richard III,” as it was brought out at the Park last winter. It drew immensely crowded houses for nineteen consecutive nights, and would have drawn in all probability for as many more, but that Mr. and Mrs. Kean¹ were compelled to break off, in order to fulfil engagements previously made in the Southern cities. They have since engaged in preparations for the production of “King John,” in a style of magnificance altogether superior to that of “Richard III” The production of this play will cost twelve thousand dollars, half of the expense to be defrayed by Mr. kean, and half by the management. The costumes alone have kept sixty females in constant employment since June last. Some idea may be formed of the scenic effect to be given to the play, from the fact that there will be on the stage at one time one hundred and fifty men. All the banners, armour, scenery, costumes and decorations will be entirely new, and everything will correspond to make it the most perfect representation of this great play ever put upon any stage. —New York Herald for Europe.
   A WOMAN FOUND WILD.—About three weeks ago a young woman, 22 years of age, and of the name of Catherine Stewart, living in Brown-street in the Merkinch, left home, and nobody knew where she had gone, until a day or two ago she was discovered in the woods of Leachdin, some herds having been attracted to where she lay by her shrieking and singing. She had rolled herself up in moss till she had made herself as round as a ball. She had thus lived for 17 days, subsisting it is supposed, on nothing but moss. She was taken home immediately, almost reduced to a skeleton. She is recovering, but on account of the great shake such an unexampled state of existence for so long a time must have given the constitution, the progress is naturally slow. It was never thought she was wrong in the mind, though she was observed duller than usual for some time back.—Inverness Journal.
Submitted by dja
1 - Possibly the same Mrs. Kean who was performing in “Our American Cousin” at Ford's Theater in Washington the night John Wilkes Booth assassinated Abraham Lincoln.

Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.