Cavan Weekly News
Published in Cavan, county Cavan

September 6, 1878


BELL-BOOTH – Sept. 4, at 18 Royal-terrace, W. Kingstown, the wife of Andrew Bell-Booth, Esq., jun., Bellsgrove, of a daughter.


DOHERTY and FIELD – August 27, at Killyleagh Parish Church, by the Very E. B. Moeran, D.D., Dean of Down, the Rev. William Doherty, ex-Royal Scholar and A.B., T.c.D., to Elizabeth HERON, daughter of John Field, Killyleagh.


FAY – Sept. 4, in Dublin, Thomas FAY, Esq., of Cootehill, aged 86 years.

KNIPE – Sept. 1, at Lower-Baggot-street, Dublin, after a long and protracted illness, Rev. Elliott Augustus Knipe, late Incumbent of Campbletown Argyleshire, son of the late George Marshall Knipe, Esq., J.P., of Erne Hill.

MORROW – August 27, at Salaghan, Jane, the wife of William MORROW, aged 52.

WINDER – Sept. 2, at 86 Bushfield Avenue, Dublin, Lucy, widow of the Rev. Henry Monck Windler, A.M., Vicar of Killenkere, Virginia.


A LAMENTABLE CASE OF DROWNING OCCURRED AT Bundoran on Sunday afternoon. Hamilton M’KEE, guard of the excursion train, which had arrived about half-past eleven, went to bathe at low tide about two o’clock, and, not being a swimmer, was drawn out of his depth and drowned. In about half an hour the dead body was recovered. An inquest was held on the body on Monday, and a verdict of accidental drowning returned. Deceased was a young man, and was married four months ago.


Dublin, Tuesday.

A telegram received this evening here records a disastrous fire in Ennis. It broke out in Mr. BRADY’s seed warehouse, in which there was a considerable storage of petroleum. The flames spread with frightful rapidity, and the occupants of the house being driven to the second-floor windows, were obliged to jump into the street, there being no fire-escape or ladder sufficiently long. One lady, Mrs. GABBET, was killed at once and two other daughters of the proprietor were spaired (sic) of. An old woman named ROCHE was unable to jump out, and perished in the fire. The owner of the house and another gentleman escaped unhurt, a sheet being held out by the crowd to break their fall. The house was burned to the ground, and the adjoining premises were much injured.


The monthly meeting of the above body was held on Tuesday.

John GANNON, Esq., J.P., in the Chair.

Also present – Messrs. John F. O’HANLON, Patrick CAFFREY, John FEGAN, Patrick M’MANUS, James BRADY, Edward FEGAN, Bernard MAGUIRE, James GALLIGAN, and Charles STUART.

The Clerk submitted a draft lease of the plot of ground about being leased to the Commissioners by Lord Farnham, for the purpose of erecting a number of labourers’ cottages, which was approved of, and steps directed to be taken to have the matter carried out with all possible dispatch.

A tender for lighting the town with gas during the winter was received from the gas company, and on the motion of Mr. P. M’MANUS, seconded by Mr. B. MAGUIRE, the consideration of the tender was postponed for a week, until the Clerk communicates with the neighbouring towns to ascertain the cost of lighting them.

A discussion took place on the improvement effected by the cleansing of the river, and the Clerk said a further sum of £5 would be required to complete it.

A checque was granted for the amount.

The meeting then adjourned for a week.


Galway, Monday.

Our good old city was astonished out of its wits this morning to hear that Mr. George Hamilton who has been for several years stationmaster at the terminus of the Midland Great Western Railway here, had been arrested yesterday evening on a charge of taking goods from the railway stores, groceries, &c., for his own use. It appears that one of the railway detectives had concealed himself in the store, and, as it is alleged, when Mr. Hamilton entered the store, and was appropriating the goods, the detective pounced upon him. This detective swore information before Mr. HILL, R.M., who issued a warrant for Mr. Hamilton’s arrest. The warrant was executed by Head-Constable WYNNE and a body of constabulary. Mr. Hill admitted Mr. Hamilton to bail, himself in £400 and two sureties in £200 each. The case was adjourned for investigation to three o’clock this day, to enable Sir Ralph CUSACK, chairman of the company, to be present. The case has caused no little excitement in the locality, as Mr. Hamilton has been esteemed in Galway as one of the most respectable men of his class in the country. He has a large family, and was always considered an exemplary and most industrious man.

After a protracted investigation to-day the prisoner was sent for trial to the recorder’s Court.


Our readers will rejoice to learn that the Very Rev. W. Pakenham WALSH, D.D., Dean of Cashel, has been elected Bishop of Ossory. The Deans of Raphoe and Ossory, and also the Rev. Dr. HANNAY of Belfast, were nominated by the first vote; and it may be freely admitted that any of these worthy and distinguished clergymen would be eligible for the Episcopal office; but eventually by an exhaustive process, Dean Walsh was elected by the requisite majority of both orders. We do not know that a better choice could have been made; and whatever evils Mr. Gladstone may have inflicted on the Church of Ireland, disestablishment by giving the power to elect to the Episcopal office, into the hands of clergy and laity, seems likely to result in providing the Church with an admirable episcopate.


An entertainment was given to the Sunday School children of the union of Monerconnaught and Loughan, on Friday, 30th August, at the Rectory, by the Rev. Joseph KING, Incumbent.

Although the morning was dark and the day unpromising, the attendance of the young people was very good, numbering nearly 100.

The proceedings having been opened with prayer and praise, the amusements of the day commenced and were heartily entered into by all; among those were the fly pole, tug of war, and various kinds of races which were very creditably gone through for prizes. After a plentiful repast of tea and cake the fun was renewed with fresh ardour. Many of the neighbouring gentry were present and did all in their power to make the time pass pleasantly.

The proceedings of the day were drawn to a close by the distribution of several Sunday-school prizes, after which a vote of thanks having been proposed to the incumbent’s family and the ladies present, and a hymn, with the national anthem having been sung, the benediction was pronounced, and the young children returned to their respective homes cheerful and happy.


While the Russian Empire seems to be completely honeycombed by a seditious conspiracy which renders life and property insecure, and which threatens the overthrow of the present dynasty and of legitimate government, the people of the United Kingdom of which Queen Victoria is the Sovereign, are now so universally loyal, well-disposed, and contented, that their Majesty’s Ministers have felt warranted in advising the exercise of the Royal clemency for the liberation of the Fenian Prisoners still in bonds. Some time since, Robert KELLY, tried for the murder of the late Head-Constable TALBOT and acquitted, but subsequently found guilty of shooting at the policeman who attempted to arrest him, and sentenced to fifteens years’ penal servitude, was liberated. And now CONDON, who was one of the party of Fenians concerned in the murder of Sergeant BRETT, at Manchester, has been set at liberty also. We believe that all the most noted of the Fenian Prisoners have now been released; and we suppose the release of the subordinate delinquents will follow as a matter of course.

We are aware that successive governments have been urgently importuned from time to time to set these men at liberty, on the ground that the offences for which they had been condemned were political in their character. So far as the military prisoners and those implicated in the crime of murder were concerned, this plea was utterly inapplicable; and the Government very properly, we think, refused to advise the exercise of the Royal clemency on that ground. But now that that plea has been for some time abandoned, and that the matter has been left entirely in the hands of the responsible Executive of the State, we rejoice that circumstances have been considered favourable for the exercise of the prerogative of mercy, and that these guilty but misguided men have been set at liberty. We do not think it likely that the United Kingdom will be troubled with another attempt at a revolution for at least a generation to come; and we hope that the lessons suggested by the mingled severity and clemency, with which our latest political offenders have been treated, will neither be forgotten nor despised.

September 13, 1878


PROUD – On the 11th Sept., at her residence, Seaview-terrace, Clontarf, Anna Jane, widow of the late Matthew Proud, formerly of Ballyteskin House, Co. Wicklow, and eldest daughter of the late James MOORHEAD of Cootehill.

SUDDEN DEATH OF A BELFAST MERCHANT. – We have to announce with deep regret the very sudden death of Mr. John M’KEE, of Victoria Chambers, one of our widely-known and universally-esteemed merchants, on Saturday. On his way to the Holywood Station he suddenly complained of losing his sight, and of his head being pained, and almost became unconscious. He was removed to the residence of a friend in Churchview, and within an hour he ceased to live. He never rallied from the first fatal blow of apoplexy. – Northern Whig.


Sub-Constable SCANNELL summoned Michael BRADY for leaving his ass and cart without a person in charge.
Fined 1s. and costs.

Acting-Constable ATWOOD summoned Edward LAMB for drunknenness.
Fined 5s. and costs.

Sub-Constable CAIN summoned Pat REILLY for like.
Fined 2s 6d and costs.

Catherine COSGROVE summoned James CULLEN and wife for making use of threatening language towards her.
They were ordered to be bound to keep the peace.

Sub-Constable SHENAHAN summoned John BRADY for drunkenness.
Fined 10s and costs.

Daniel CARTY summoned Michael O’DONNELL for detaining a pair of boots and a hat which he had pledged in his office.
Carty said the articles which Mr. O’Donnell offered him were not those which he had pledged.

Mr. O’Donnell said they were; and produced his book for the purpose of proving it.
The case was dismissed.

Constable DOLAN summoned Mrs. Kennedy, Farnham Arms Hotel, for a breach of the licensing laws.

The Constable said he saw three or four young men entered the Commercial-room of the Hotel from the Billiard-room, about 11:15 p.m. on the 2nd inst; while standing outside he heard them call for drink; heard a foot going out of the room and returning; then heard the drawing of a cork; immediately afterwards the door was opened to let a person out, and he went in and found four persons drinking.

A commercial gentleman named GRIFFITH said he was stopping in the hotel; he was entertaining the gentlemen – they were his guests; they paid for none of the drink.

The waiter said before the bar was closed up he was supplied with drink for Mr. Griffith and friends.

Mr. ARMSTRONG contended that both a publican and his lodger could entertain their friends after hours.

Their worships decided upon taking the opinion of the Law Adviser.

(Magistrates presiding – John J. BENNISON, John T. DILLON, R.M., and George NUGENT, Esqrs.)

Bawnboy Guardians summoned Patt FARLEY for support of his illegitimate child in the workhouse.

J. CARSON, Master of the house attended.

Anne FITZPATRICK was examined and said she was mother of the child which was illegitimate. Pat Farley is the father of it.

Court – We can only take the informations and let the Guardians take whatever steps they like.

Head-Constable PHELAN summoned Jas. FINLAY for being drunk and disorderly, on the night of the 24th of August on the street of Ballyconnell.

Court – How was he disorderly?

He was stripped and in a very excited state.

Defendant said he was after playing ball, and took a few half-ones.

Fined 2s 6d and costs.


Head-Constable PHELAN summoned P. BRADY, James M’BRIEN and Dan SHANNON for committing a breach of the peace by striking and kicking one Thomas CARRIGAN on Saturday night, 24th August, on the street of Ballyconnell.

Thomas Carrigan was examined by the Head-Constable and said – I was on the street on the night in question; was standing with Andy REILLY and W. SURPHLUS, and another man named DONOHO when Peter Brady (one of the defendants), came over and taking me by the hand said, “Carrigan are you not the best man in town,” I said “no,” Peter said “I hear you are,” I pulled my hand from him and witness said, “I see I must fight,” and as Brady stepped out from me I thought I would have the first stroke, and we both struck together; defendant struck me on the eye, and I found my leg a kicking; does not know who kicked me; I accused Dan Shannon for kicking me; saw M’Brien there.

M’Brien – Now Carrigan you know there is One above looking at the statement you are making.

Richard Surphlus was examined, and said he was on the street on the night of the occurrence but could give no further information.

Andy Reilly was next examined and said he was on the street on the night of the row with a number of others, when Brady and Carrigan struck at each other.

Court – Did Brady say anything to you?

Yes: I was fixing my tie on myself; Brady said he would wring the neck off me.

Court to Head-Constable – What is the character of these men.

Head-Constable and Sub-Constable CANTILLON were sworn and said they knew nothing against M’Brien, but Brady and especially Shannon were in the habit of keeping very bad company.

The chairman announced decision of Court – Peter Brady to go to gaol for two weeks, and M’Brien and Shannon to give bail for their good conduct for 12 months or go two weeks to gaol.

Some other unimportant case was heard.

RELEASE OF A FENIAN. – A Dublin correspndent of the Times writes, under date September 6; “There have been great rejoicing in Mitchelstown, County Cork, at the news of the release of the ex-Fenian convict CONDON. The shops were closed early in the evening, and lighted candles were exhibited in the windows of the houses, forming a general illumination. Crowds flocked into the streets of the town filled with hilarity and excitement. The demonstration is represented as having been little inferior to that which was made on the triumphant return of Mr. John S. CASEY to his native town on the failure of the proceedings instituted against him for criminal libel in connection with the notorious Michelstown outrage.”


Some time ago it was announced that Lord Rossmore was about to be married to Miss BENNETT, sister of Mr. Gordon Bennet, of the New York Herald. Although the statement has been indirectly contracated, yet we are informed that it will very shortly take place. Improvements are being made about his Lordship’s castle and arrangements have been made to have a fete on the demesne early next month. It has been announced that sports, including pony races, will be organised for the enjoyment of the public, that a select party will be at Rossmore Park at the time, and that in the evening there will be a garden party and small dance given to a number of invited guests. It is quite evident from the preparations that are being made that some event is about to take4 place, and very little doubt may be entertained that it is the wedding of his Lordship and the accomplished and fascinating American lady. – Irish Times.

Dublin society is sadly scandalised by the announcement that Richard PURDON, son of an Alderman and ex-Lord Mayor, has taken to the stage, and become low comedian at a local theatre. – Theatre

KILLED BY A BULLDOG. – A few days ago a little boy named TWOHEY entered an orchard at Prospect near Limerick, to recover his cap which was thrown in by other lads. He had scarcely alighted when he was furiously attacked by a bulldog, which broke his jaw and otherwise severely wounded him. The brute then turned upon the caretaker, a man named MAGRATH, and inflicted wounds upon him of so dangerous a character that he died in the Limerick Workhouse Hospital on Thursday. The boy is still in a critical condition.

KILLED BY CHLOROFORM. – A death from an overdose of chloroform is reported from Louth. Mary Ann EMERY, an elderly person, who was about to undergo an operation, was the deceased. An inquest has been held, when a verdict exonerating all concerned from the slightest blame in connection with the affair was returned.


Moate, Monday.

Last night an outrage of a daring character was committed at a place called Ballymacnorris, within a quarter of a mile of this town. From the informations already sworn it would appear that Michael FARRELL, a farmer residing at the above place, was about retiring to rest at eleven o’clock, when the door was forced open, and seven men entered. He was seized by two of them, who knocked him down, and a handkerchief was thrown over his eyes, while the other men search for arms. Although a gun was in the house they did not find it, and failing in this they robbed the man of his watch, and having extinguished the light in the kitchen decamped. Fortunately for the ends of justice the attacking party were not unobserved as when they entered the house two little boys hid under the table, and unseen witnessed the entire transaction. They immediately gave information to the constabulary, and in a few hours Patrick CRENAGHAN, John M’GLYNN, Mathew TANNERY, Christopher KILMURRAY, and a man named MONAHAN were arrested. They were brought before the boys next day, all fully identified, and remanded for further inquiry. Two men were subsequently arrested, but one was discharged, and the other retained. Some of the prisoners are well known for a considerable time to the police. It is a remarkable fact that exactly twenty years since an armed party attacked this house, and when Farrell’s father refused to give up a gun to them, they shot him dead. The watch stolen from Farrell has not yet been discovered.

THE ALLEGED MANSLAUGHTER IN NEWRY. – At the petty sessions on Wednesday, Thomas WEIR, a respectable shopkeeper in this town, was put forward in custody charged with causing the death of Wm. CHADWICK. It will be remembered that deceased and some others were making a bonfire on the evening of the 1st of July in a field belonging to Weir. An altercation took place, and Weir struck Chadwick with a hoop. He afterwards joined the Louth Militia, but was sent home unfit for duty. He then entered the Newry where he died from an abscess on the brain. The case was adjourned for a week in order to have the evidence of the doctor who examined him in Drogheda.


In the Goods of
Late of
In the County of Cavan,

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, pursuant to the Statue 22 & 23 Vic., Cap. 35, instituled (sic) an Act to amend the law of property and to relieve Trustees that all persons claiming to be creditors or to have any claims or demands against the assets of the said ROBERT BURNS, who died on the 4th day of November, 1877, are hereby required on or before the 1st day of November, 1878, by the Principal Registry of the Probate and Matrimonial division of her Majesty’s High Court of Justice in Ireland, or to the undersigned as his Solicitor, and after said date the said administrator will proceed to distribute the assets, having regard only to claims of which he shall then have had notice and particulars.

Dates this 10th day of September, 1878.
HUGH P. KENNEDY, Solicitor for Said Administrator,
106, Lower Gardiner Street, Dublin, and Cavan.


To the Editor of the Cavan Weekly News.

Sir – On Saturday, 28th inst. Trotting matches, Boat races, and other sports will take place at Ballyconnell, full particulars of which will appear in next issue of your paper.

J. J. BENISON, Esq., J.P.,
G. NUGENT, Esq., J.P.,
D. FINLAY, esq., J.P.,
W. JOHNSTON, Esq., J.P.,
H. H. JONES, Esq.,,
G. M. HEARNE, Esq., M.D.,

Michael CORRY, Hon. Secretary, Ballyconnell, 11th September, 1878.

September 20, 1878

MARRIAGE. M'CAMUS - MAGAHY - Sept., 17, In the parish Church of Shercock, by the Rev. J. C. WILLCOCKS, Incumbent, assisted by the Rev. W. S. LITTLE, Incumbent of Knockbride, Mr. Samuel M'Camus to Margaret Anne, eldest daughter of Mr. Robert Magahy. DEATHS. PARKER - September 17, at the residence of his father J. Parker, Esq., Cavan, William H. Parker, Esq., M.D., L.R.C.S.I., L.K. & Q.C. P.J., after a short but painful illness, aged 32 years. MORTON - Sept. 17, at Cloone, Jane, wife of John Morton, aged 70 years. THE CHURCH. At an Ordination held by the Lord Bishop of Kilmore, in Kilmore Cathedral, on Sunday, the 15th of September, the following were admitted to Holy Orders:- DEACONS - Francis Edward CLARKE, M.A. LL.D, M.D, for the curacy of Killashee cum Ballymacormack, Diocese of Ardagh; William T. P. POOLE, Soph, TCD, for the curacy of Kilmore, Diocese of Clogher; and James HAMILTON, St. Aidan's, for the curacy of Fivemiletown, Diocese of Clogher - the two latter on letters dimissory from the Lord Primate. PRIESTS:- Rev. James T. COOKE, TCD, for the curacy of Killashee and Ballymacormack, Diocese of Ardagh; Rev. John MAGILL, TCD, for the curacy of Ahamplish, Diocese of Elphin. The Ordination Sermon was preached and the candidates presented by the Ven the Archdeacon of Kilmore.

QUARTER-MASTER CHINNERY, CAVAN MILITIA. We announce with much regret that Quarter-Master W. Chinnery is about to retire from our County Regiment of Militia, with which he has been connected for the last twenty-three years; and also from the military service in which he has been employed for nearly twice that period. We believe he served for many years as Sergeant-Major in the 66th Regiment in North and South America, Gibraltar, and the West Indies, and was discharged in 1854 on the highest pension that could be awarded to him. In 1855 he joined the Cavan Militia at Aldershot, and was shortly afterwards appointed Quarter-Master of the Regiment. His service in both the Line and Militia covers a period of forty-four years; and he will now retire with the highest pension that can be given to an officer of his rank; and with the honorary rank of Captain. He was very popular in the Regiment with both officers and men; and he was also very popular with the inhabitants of Cavan, having won for himself the esteem and confidence of all by his upright and gentlemanly conduct and his many agreeable qualities. We believe he intends to spend the remainder of his days at his native place in Sudbury, Suffolk; and we hope this distinguished veteran's evening of life will be crowned with every blessing that can make existence pleasureable (sic) and end so far as this world is concerned, in a peaceful and unclouded sunset. APPEAL. It is intended to erect a Methodist Chapel in Redhills (where the want of such has been long felt), to accommodate the growing congregation. Subscriptions for the above object will be thankfully received and acknowledged by Rev. James FRAZER, Newtownbutler Rev. W. C. DOONAN, Cavan; or Mr. John DAVIS, Redhills. CAVAN PETTY SESSIONS. - Monday. (Before T. THOMPSON, W. BABINGTON, and W. A. MOORE, Esqrs.) Constable DUFFY summoned Mr. David MATCHETT for refusing to remove his cart into the Market-square on the previous Tuesday. Mr. Matchett said he was selling his butter opposite Mr. M'MAHON's; he and his father had been in the habit of selling it there; his cart was drawn up to the kerbstone (sic); if he had been outside he would have moved in. Mr. Thompson said the "butter carts" caused a great obstruction in the street; they should all move into the market-yard, and leave the street clear. As this was the first case they would only inflict a fine of 1s. Mr. Moore - Is would be only a farce. Let it be 5s. So he was fined 5s. Mr. Thompson directed Sub-Inspector HUME to compel all the carts to be brought inside of the yard. The constable preferred a second charge against Mr. Matchett for not having his residence on his cart. Mr. Matchett said the letters "Pole" was legible, but the "s" was obliterated by ropes while loads were being tied on the card. He was fined 6d and costs. Sub-Constable LYNCH summoned John M'CABE for being drunk on the 10th inst. Fined 5s. Sub-Constable DENNEHY summoned James CAHILL and Thomas KENNEDY for fighting. They were fined 5s each. Constable DOLAN summoned John REILLY for being drunk while in charge of an ass and cart. Fined 5s. He also charged Patrick REILLY with drunkenness. Defendant said he was neither drunk nor sober. Complainant - You were so helpless you had to be armed into a cart.

Fined 2s. 6d. Acting Constable ATWOOD summoned Bernard MONAGHAN (80 years of age), for being drunk on the 10th inst. Fined 5s. Peter SMITH summoned Catherine FARRELL for unlawfully milking his cow and stealing a quantity of milk.

John BRADY said Mr. Smith sent him to bring home his cow for the purpose of being milked; when he went to the field he found defendant milking his master's cow; he asked her why she done so; she said a jobber told her; jobbers had cattle in the field; he said she was milking his master's cow; she said she did not know that; he told her to go and finish the milking; she done so and he brought the milk to Mr. Smith. Defendant's mother said jobbers had cows on Mr. Smith's grass; they asked her to get them milked; it appeared her daughter had made a mistake in milking the wrong cow. Ellen CONNATY heard the jobbers requesting Mrs. Farrell to get their cattle milked. Their Worships dismissed the case. Rose COLLINS summoned John BRADY and Ellen BRADY for making use of threatening language towards her. Defendants were bound to the peace. Catherine PATTERSON summoned Ellen CALWELL for assaulting her. Fined 1d and costs.


The Bishop of Tuam has named Wednesday, the 9th of October for the consecration of the Cathedral of St. Mary’s. The restoration of the cathedral has been in progress for a period extending over sixteen years. The Act of Disestablishment and Disendownment gave the work its first check. The Dean of Tuan, however, cordially supported by the bishop, has carried out his cherished project; and in a few weeks a very beautiful edifice will be opened for Divine Service. The historic interest of the classic old town of Tuam and its renovated Cathedral will, doubtless, attract a large number of visitors, and already some of the railway companies have made most liberal arrangements for the accommodation of persons coming to witness this interesting ceremony.


The steamer Wyoming, of the Guion line, sailed for New York on Saturday from Liverpool, having on board no less than six hundred Mormon converts, who are about to take up their residence in Utah. They were accompanied by seventeen elders returning to Salt Lake City, and were under the charge of Mr. Nesbitt, a Mormon agent, who had been in England for two years engaged in proselytizing missions. The emigrants were collected from several countries of Europe, in addition to the United Kingdom. Two Hundred and sixty-five belonged to Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and adjacent countries, and sixty were from Switzerland and Germany. The efforts of the Mormon agent in Ireland were unsuccessful, for not a single emigrant came from the island, but from Scotland there were 40, from Wales 50, and from England about 200. Information respecting the ages and sexes of the emigrants was not forthcoming.


Ballinsloe, Wednesday.

This town and neighbourhood have been thrown into a state of the greatest excitement by one of the most dreadful murders ever recorded. The victim was a man named CARRLL, a sieve maker, and the person charged with the dreadful offence is John HARRISON, a labouring man. The two men were on Tuesday night drinking in a public-house at Brackernagh, a short distance from the town of Ballinasloe. They left the house together about ten o’clock, and at eleven Carroll was found by some people lying in the roadside, weltering in his blood. He was conveyed to a neighbouring house, where it was found that he had been stabbed in the left breast, a little above the region of the heart, and also that his skull had been fractured. The poor man never rallied, and died during the course of the night. Constable EGAN and a party of police proceeded to Harrisson’s house and arrested him on a charge of murdering Carroll. Carroll leaves a wife and young family. His body awaits an inquest. Harrisson will be brought up for examination at the petty sessions on Saturday. I regret to state that this is not the first act of violence which has recently taken place in this locality. – Freeman.


Clonmel, Monday.

Patrick RYAN, Henry-street, Tipperary, received yesterday a letter threatening his life if he should interfere with Rody MURPHY, of Pierstown. Sub-Inspector LONSDELL, Head-Constable LEE, and Sub-Constable John STRONG repaired to Murphy’s house and made a strict search. Murphy has been arrested, and committed until the next petty sessions.


Another melancholy drowning case has occurred on Lough Erne. Thomas M’KEOWN, parcel porter at the Great Northern Railway station at Enniskillen, a fine young man, of about eighteen years of age, after the departure of the up train to Dublin, at half past four on Wednesday evening, hired a boat for a row down the lake as far as Devenish. There was a nice breeze at the time, and on the return he drew in the oars, and stood up in the seat at the stern of the boat, holding out his coat as much as possible to propel the boat in this way by the breeze then blowing in. In this position he happened to be seen by some of Mr. Irwin’s men at Derrygore. A few minutes afterwards, he had disappeared, and the boat was drifting beside some rushes. It was conjectured that he had fallen out of the boat and been drowned, and the intelligence of the fact was at once sent to Enniskillen, and his absence from the railway office that evening at half past six confirmed the sad news, which many could hardly believe, and some of the officials of the line were rather doubtful of it even the next day. On the evening of Thursday, however, all doubt was removed by the finding of the body near the spot he had last been seen alive. The deceased was very much liked, and a great deal of sympathy is felt for his mother and sister, whose principal support he was.

SUDDEN DEATH. – Mr. William SCHOLES, of Killen, near Toppit Mountain, in Fermanagh, died suddenly on Thursday last, after returning to his house from working in a field at flax with his son. An inquest was held on the body on Friday by William GILBERT, Esq., coroner, and a verdict of died of the visitation of God was returned.


Ballinsaloe, Saturday.

A singular case cropped up at the Petty Sessions Court here to-day. As is customary in all cases of assault there was a cause and a cross cause. In the first case a loquacious old dame, named VARLEY, appeared as complainant, the defendants being her sister-in-law, a woman named CLEARY, and her son John Varley. Mrs. Cleary is a widow, and after the death of her husband her nephew, John Varley, conceived a fancy for her – and so great was the scandal produced in the neighboured (sic) that a special dispensation was, I understand procured from the Pope to unite the enamored couple. Be that as it may, the nephew kept up his attentions, but failed to lead his aunt to the altar of Hymen. Old Dame Varley did not like the relationship, and was as demonstrative of her detestation of Mrs. Cleary as her son was of his affection. Matters came to a crisis on Saturday last, when Mrs. Varley tried to cool Mrs. Cleary’s affections by a shower bath, administered to her as she passed her door. The latter retaliated with a stone, striking and cutting the old woman on the forehead. John took arms against his mother and in favour of his affianced, caught the poor old creature, and left marks and cut on her arms and other parts of her body. In the cross case, John Varley prayed to have his cousin and son-in-law bound to the peace. The latter, a quiet looking young fellow of 20 years of age, pleaded that he was the aggrieved party – that day or night Varley would not remain out of his house, and that he saw him there hundreds of times. The bench dismissed the case against young Cleary, and ordered John Varley and his aunt (or would-be wife) Catherine Cleary, to be each imprisoned for a period of one month in the gaol at Galway.

September 27, 1878


O'BRIEN - Sept. 17, at Main-st., Cavan, the wife of Mr. William E. O'Brien, of a daughter.

YOUNG - At Corkimmions, County Monaghan, the residence of her father, the wife of W. W. Young, Esq., Gartinardress, of a son.


STURDY - Sept. 22, at Nenagh, at the residence of her sister, after a painful illness, Margaret Maria, eldest daughter of the late John Sturdy, Ballyconnell, aged 60 years. She died trusting in her Redeemer.

The Earl and Countess of Dartrey have arrived at Dartrey House, Cootehill, from Wiesbaden.

A German in America is inventing a flying machine, and wants to fight a duel with the printer who knocked the "f" off "flying."

FATAL ACCIDENT. - A respectable young man, named John A. M'GAHEY, of Markethill, county Armagh, when returning from Keady fair, on Friday evening, suddenly jumped off a car when at the foot of the hill at Corven crossroads, and in doing so his foot caught in the dash-board; he was thrown under the car, the wheel of which passed over his head. When the men on the car jumped off, as they did at once, they found that deceased was speechless, blood came from his nose and ears. He was then brought home, but was quite dead before he reached his father's horse.

(Before W. BABINGTON, R. ERSKINE, and W. A. MOORE, Esqrs.)

Bernard CORRIGAN summoned Thomas FITZSIMONS for trespass of a sow.
And Fitzsimons had a cross charge for threatening language.
Although they are neighbours they live on very bad terms
Fitzsimons was fined 4s for the trespass.
Both were cautioned by their worships.

A number of persons were fined for drunkenness.


On Thursday last the annual reunion of the young persons connected with this Sunday school, took place at the Rectory, where after they had been regaled with tea, cake and apples, several well-contested races for prizes were engaged in both by males and females, and a most enjoyable afternoon was spent.

The proceedings were commenced and ended with psalmody, and a most suitable address was delivered by Rev. W. S. LITTLE, incumbent of the adjoining parish of Knockbride.

Hearty cheers were given for the Rev. J. C. and Mrs. WILCOCKS, also for Rev. Mr. and Mrs. LITTLE; while Mr. MAGAHY - the esteemed teacher of the Parochial School - received his due meed of applause.


Robert GEOGHEGAN, who was murderously assaulted at Parsonstown on Saturday night, lies still in a precarious condition, and it is feared he will succumb. His head and face were almost reduced to a pulp, and he is rendered unrecognizable. No further arrests have been made.


Major-General HUTCHINSON arrived in Cork on Wednesday, and made an inspection of the Cork and Macroom line. He proceeded along the line in a lorry, and minutely examined the permanent way. He will attend and assist at the inquiry at Ballincolling on Thursday, where it is expected that the examination of the skilled witnesses will be of a most important nature.

The Visiting Justices of the Richmond Bridewell, Dublin, have been informed by Government that in future the "plank bed" will not be used for women, for men over 60 years of age, or for children under 13 years.


Limerick, Tuesday.

The Will of Mr. BROWNE, lately a resident of Castle Roberts, is all the talk of the locality, so curious are the terms of his last will and testament. After disposing of his assets among his family of sons and daughters and other relatives, he ordered that a sum of £60 should be expended on his interment. The funeral was to be conducted as follows:- Sixteen married men were to be provided to carry his remains to the place of interment. They were to be dressed out in all the habiliments of woe, and to be enlitely (sp?) fed and otherwise supplied at his expense from the time they were engaged. He expressed the desire that these sixteen men should carry his remains on a bier to the bridge at the village of Castle Roberts, where he held a small farm; then return to his house again and place the coffin in a hearse, to be provided, to the final resting place, hear the village of Croom. When the cortege arrived within two miles of the latter place of interment, the coffin was again to be taken out of the hearse and borne on the shoulders of the sixteen men to the graveyard: The terms of the will having been circulated in the neighbourhood, there was an immense assembly at the funeral; but they were much disappointed on finding that the order of burial would not be sanctioned by the parish clergyman, and it was with considerable difficulty that the friends of the deceased were dissuaded from carrying out the entire programme of the funeral proceedings. The deceased has willed to his family and relatives (exclusive of other property) various sums ranging from £50 to £500. Several of the parties entitled to the money are living in the United States.

County Cavan Newspaper Transcription Project

Ireland Home Page
County Cavan

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.