Cavan Weekly News
Published in Cavan, county Cavan

May 3, 1878


The Ester Sessions for the Cavan Division commenced on Monday last, before
F. W. DARLEY, Esq., County Court Judge.

And the following Magistrates: - Robert BERROWES, Robert ERSKINE, Llewellyn . B. SAUNDERSON, William BABINGTON, John GAY, William A. MOOER, John T. DILLON, and Eugene M’MANUS, Esqrs.

The following were sworn on the

Messrs. Moses NETTERFIELD, jun. (foreman, Patt GOGARTY&, John GRAY, Francis RICHMOND, James F. BOYLE, James CLANCY, Edward FEGAN, John McHENRY, Andrew ROGERS, Joseph ADAMS, John BANNON, John CHAMBERS, Patrick DONOHOE, William EVANS, Alexander FARIS, Henry GAFFNEY, William HAMMOND, Robert JAMES, Thomas C. KELLETT, Thomas LAHEY, James M’CAFFREY, Bernard O’REILLY, and Robert RAMSEY.

Bessy LYNCH was charged with stealing a pair of boots the property of Thomas CLARKE, of Doon.

The prosecutor’s wife and mother-in-law posed that after the accused left their house they missed the boots, and the prosecutor met her coming out with a pair of boots under her arm.

The jury acquitted the prisoner.

His Lordship expressed himself dissatisfied with the verdict.

John M’CABE and his wife were charged with receiving a shirt the property Bernard KEGAN. They were defended by Mr ARMSTRONG.

Mary KEGAN deposed that a shirt (produced) was stolen from her garden on the 28th of March last; it was brought to her next day by Patt DOONEGAN.

Patt Doonegan (12 years of age) said he stole the shirt and sold it to the female prisoner for five pence; John M’CABE gave him the money; they didn’t ask him any questions nor he didn’t tell them that he had stolen it; he then returned it to Mrs. Kegan; Mrs. M’Cabe when giving it to him put it in his breast and told him to take care and let no one see it; John M;Cabe told him to return it to the owner and to have more about it.

To Mr. Armstrong – It was his father who made him go for it.

The prisoners were acquitted.

Philip KIMMONS, Thomas KIMMONS, Farrel KIMMONS, Michael KIMMONS, Michael DELANEY, and Thomas DELANEY were charged with having on the 11th of March last at Cornagrove assaulted James REILLY, and also with having expelled him from possession of a farm.

The facts are – one Edward McDONALD held a farm under Lord Farnham; some time ago he sold for ten years his interested in it to the prosecutor for which he received £200 (deed and receipt produced) – M’Donald continuing in possession as a weekly tenant at 5s a week; M’Donald afterwards sold it again to one of the prisoners for £500 and left the country; the second purchaser not acknowledging the first sale collected a party, drove Reilly off the lands and cropped it.

The prisoners were found guilty.

His Lordship ordered possession to be given to Reilly and postponed passing sentence until Saturday.

Michael REILLY, Philip M’DERMOTT, Charles KING, and James KELLET were charged with expelling Patt M’MAHON from some apartments which he occupied in Virginia.

M’Mahon and his wife locked up their apartments on the 31st of March and went out for a walk, when they returned they found their furniture had been taken out and the place locked up. Mrs. M’Mahon deposed to having seen the prisoners among the furniture.

Mr. Armstrong produced witnesses to prove an alibi.

Reilly was acquitted; the other prisoners were found guilty and sentenced to fourteen days’ imprisonment.




For £7 14s 0d, one years’ rent of a farm near Milltown.

Decree to possession.

Same v. Pat CUSACK and others.

For £8 18s 0d. Like.

Like order.

One of the defendants came on the table and said he sold his lat cow, and out of her price offered half-a-years’ rent, which was refused; he spent the remainder putting in some crops.

Mr. CROSS told his Lordship that he would speak to Mr. MOORE to give the poor man some time.

The Primate v. Joseph GUMLEY.

For £69, three years’ rent of a farm.

Like order.

Mr. LOUNDS, the bailiff, applied for expenses, which was refused.

Lord Farnham v. Margaret HARKNESS and another.

For £28 9s, one years’ rent of a farm.

Like order.

Same v. Richard FITZSIMMONS and others.

For recovery of possession of a farm near Ballyjamesduff, held by lease, made in October, 1795.

Evidence having been given that the lives were dead.

A decree to possession was granted.


For £34 10s 0d, three half years’ rent of a farm.

Like order.

Wm. COLLUM v. Patrick KELLY and others.

For £36 17s 0s, one years’ rent, up to 25th March, 1878, of a farm.

Like order.

Anne BRADY v. John REILLY.

For £2 10s 0d, one years’ rent of a house.

Like order.

Rose A. OREILLY v. Philip BOYLAN.

For £10, two years’ rent of a house.

Like order.

Connor REILLY v. John CAHILL.

For recovery of possession of a house and garden.

Proof of the notice to quit, tenancy, &c, having been given.

A decree to possession was granted.

Philip BRADY v. Mary CONNELL.

The brother of plaintiff held the farm in dispute until his death, in 1865; by his will he directed the defendant, who was his housekeeper, to hold the farm until either of his brothers would return from America; the plaintiff returned, took probate of his brother’s will, and sought to recover the farm.

Decree to possession, with stay of execution to 1st November next.

Thomas ROBERTS v. Jeremiah ROBERTS and others.

For recovery of possession of a small farm in Clonanadra.

The notice to quit, tenancy, &c, having been proved, a decree to possession was granted.

Philip MURRAY v. Michael MURRAY.

A dispute between father and son.

Referred to the Rev. Mr. SHERIDAN.


Re Thomas JOHNSTON, deceased.

The rev. Arthur Monypeny applied for probate of the will of Thomas JOHNSTON, who died in October, 1876, near Stradone.

The will was written by Mr. Monypeny who was appointed executor, signed by two witnesses (relatives of the widow), who deny they seen the testator sign it, although it is stated at foot that the three signed in presence of each other. The will leaves the entire property to the widow and children of deceased, but contains stringent conditions about the future marriage of the parties. The widow said her husband wished to get it destroyed before his death. The Rev. Mr. Monypeny contended the three signed in presence of each other, which was denied by the other side.

His Lordship said he would adjourn the case to next sessions and have it tried by a jury.

Mr. KENNEDY opposed the probate.



Re Thomas PHAIR, deceased.

Mr. M’GAURAN applied on behalf of Mr. John J. MEE, for probate of the will of the late Thomas PHAIR (ex Head-Constable of Police), who died at Killeshandra, in the month of January, leaving the bulk of his property (between £400 and £500) to his niece Mrs. J. J. MEE and her husband who he also appointed executor. The will was impeached by Mr. Kennedy on behalf of Mr. John PHAIR (a nephew), on the grounds that it had not been properly executed.

Mr. Robert NORTH was the first witnessed examined – He said – The late Mr. Phair was a bachelor; he lived in Killeshandra; Mrs. Mee the wife of Mr. John J. Mee, who applied for ___ was his niece. Deceased spent the greater part of his time with Mr. and Mrs. Mee; niece and her relatives live around Killeshandra; I heard on the 24th of January that Mr. Phair had suddenly felt unwell during the night; I went to see him and he told me how he was affected, what had been ___ &c; he was clear and sensible; I returned again in the evening, when by his directions I made a will; he left his money share and share alike to Mrs. Mee and her husband; I asked him if he would given anything to Mrs. BREWSTER (another niece), he said he had given her money to pay her rent.

The Rev. A. M. ROUTLEDGE (one of the witnesses) said he had been visiting deceased during his illness; he saw Mr. North prepare the will by directions of Mr. Phair; Mr. North read it for him and he signed it in presence of Mr. VIRTUE and witness; deceased signed it twice because it was discovered Mr. Virtue had not seen him do so on the first occasion.

To Mr. Kennedy – Mr. Mee was present while Mr. North was preparing it; young Brewster was present too; Mr. Virtue object to sign it as he didn’t know its contents; Mr. North said it was not necessary for him to know it; Mr. North held it before deceased while he was signing.

To Mr. M’Gauran – Mr. Virtue did not object until after he and witness had signed it.

Mr. M’Gaurant said he would examine the doctor about his capacity.

Mr. Kennedy said he did not require it.

Mr. John J. Mee said although he was present he didn’t interfere in the matter; Mr. Phair signed it twice in consequence of Mr. Virtue not seeing him do so on the first occasion; Mr. Routlege, Mr. Virtue and deceased signed in the presence of each other; witness did not send for Mr. North to make the will.

Mrs. Mee deposed that deceased her to keep a box in which were kept his deposit receipts &c.; she thinks deceased and Mr. John Phair were not on good terms.

Mr. Wm. Virtue (the other witness) swore he walked out of the room before the Rev. Mr. Routlege signed.

A young man named Brewster corroborated Mr. Virtue.

His Lordship said Mr. North, Mr. Mee, and the Rev. Mr. Routlege swore Virtue was present when Mr. Routlege and deceased signed, and over Virtue’s signature the same was written. He would declare the will proved, but without costs.



A man named Brewster claimed compensation for being disturbed in a small farm near Killeshandra on the estate of Mr. Walter W. Young. It was unsuccessfully sought to establish the Ulster Custom.

His Lordship granted £20 9d.


To the Editor of the Fermanagh Reporter.

Chicago, April 5, 1878.

Dear Sir – Some kind friend sent me a copy of your paper of March 14th. I was glad to receive it and carefully read over its interesting pages. But I was sorry to see the announcement of the death of Christopher Nixon, Esq., of Killyglasson House, at the advanced age of 84 years. And here please give me a little space in your valuable journal, that I may pay my humble tribute of respect to this good man’s memory, as he was one of my earliest benefactors. It was my fortune to be born near the Blacklion, and to have known the whole Nixon family from my earliest youth; and to have known Christopher Nix was to love him. I left Ireland in 1848, but I can never forget the memorable years of 1846-’47 and part of ’48 when gaunt hunger and death stalked abroad, and the wolf of hunger was at every poor man’s door. It was then that the noble qualities of the Christian and the gentleman showed themselves most conspicuously in C. Nixon: being liberally blessed with an abundance of the world’s goods, his noble heart ached for the suffering of the poor, and all who asked for assistance were kindly received, indulgent to those who owed and kind to those poverty-stricken creatures who sought aid at his hands. He won the affections of all. I have known him to issue orders to his servants to have provisions cooked at all times lest some poor creature would be turned hungry from his door. I have known him to stand on the highway and ask almost every passerby if he or she were hungry if so to go up to his house and have breakfast or dinner. Many a poor creature humbly petitioned to God of the poor that he might shower down his choicest blessings on Killiglasson House, and its generous hearted inmates, and who, Mr. Editor, can doubt but their prayers were heard and fully answered, and that Mr. Nixon, and his family have been rewarded more than a hundred fold. We are assured that “he who giveth to the poor lendeth to the Lord,” and I have no doubt that this bread cast upon the waters of famine in 1848, has long since returned to the generous donor, for I know he died regretted by the poor, and respected by all, and I sincerely (sic) hope he is now enjoying the reward of his earthly charity, and that his pure soul was kindly received by that ever watchful God – who even sees the sparrow fall and who numbers the hairs of our head, and that he heard those consoling words – “I was hungry and you gave me to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me drink; I was naked and you clothed me.” Enter into the Kingdom long prepared for those who serve the Lord. Generous, warm-hearted Christopher Nixon, peace be to your ashes, and rest to your soul.



Ballinasloe, Wednesday.

At an early hour this morning a woman named Mary LYONS, of unsound mind, escaped from the workhouse in a state of perfect nudity. She crossed the fair green and up Brackernagh-street (one of the principal approaches of the town), and subsequently ran into the neighbourhood of Aughrim, three miles distant. Four sub-constables have gone in pursuit.



An inhuman outrage is reported here from Patrickswell, about six miles distant. The person accused is Thomas SHEEHAN, lately returned from America, who was living with his father, Byran Sheehan, on his farm, situate between the village of Crecora and Patrickswell. A few nights back he came home in a state of intoxication, and demanded money from his father, who is advanced in years. The father refused, when the son tied the old man to a bedpost, and beat him so unmercifully with his fists and a stick that his life is despaired of. Sheehan abandoned, carring (sic) off with him some £20 or £30. It is believed he has effected his escape to America, as no notice of the outrage was sent to the barracks until two days had elapsed after its occurrence.


Fourteen Lives Lost and Many Persons Injured.

One of the most appalling accidents ever recorded in the annals of Dublin occurred on Saturday in Hammond-lane, off Church-street. At about one o’clock a large boiler in Messrs STRONG’s iron foundry exploded, and spread devastation all around. A public-house adjoining the foundry was almost instantly reduced to a heap of ruins, out of which there have since been dug the dead bodies of seven men and seven women. Many persons in the street were also severely injured by portions of the boiler, which was projected to a great distance, and of these ten are now in hospital.

At 4:15 o’clock Sunday, on the workmen reaching the bar parlour of the public-house, in one confused mass of bricks and mortar were found the corpses of five more people, three men and two women, one of the latter being a dressmaker who was temporarily working in the house. The names are James BRADY, Bridget BRADY (wife of the first-named), Mrs. GARDINER (dressmaker), Thos. PEARSON, and James M’QUILL. These last five were also conveyed on stretchers by policemen to the Richmond Hospital, and thus bringing the number of the dead to thirteen, composed of six women and seven men. The hospital doors were besieged all day by a tearful and agitated crowd, some desiring to see once again their dead relations, others to satisfy themselves that none of those near and dear to them were sharers of the destruction, and others finally whose fancies generate a morbid desire to look upon the appearance of death, the stronger the more horrible and fantastic the death may have been. One woman, the sister-in-law of Richard KEARNEY, who was among the killed, kneeled down in the road opposite the hospital door and alternated blessings on the deceased, many times making signings of the Cross on her breast, with curses on the inhumanity of those who would not let her see her relation. At 6:30 o’clock last evening the father of a girl named Bridget BROPHY, came to the scene of the explosion, inquiring whether his daughter had yet been dug out. Supposing him to have reasons for his question, this would make up the total of the killed to 14, i.e., 7 men and 7 women – a disastrous result, and one which, we are happy to say, has not often to be recorded by us. But not alone the number of dead is to be deplored, but the manner of their death – namely, burial alive – one which bore with it all the horrors of slow suffocation, yet leaving the senses able to realize the helpless and hopeless position in which they were placed.


The following is an amended list of the five latest discovered bodies which have been extricated from what was the bar palour:-

Mrs. GARDINER, aged 56, 22 Hammond-lane, widow of a tinsmith and fitter, some short time ago in good worldly circumstances, and possessed of a phaeton and horse. Is a sister of Mrs. DUNNE now in hospital.

William BRENNAN, her stepson, aged 23, labourer.

George PEARSON, aged 20, 6 Hammond-lane, labourer.

John NEALE, 21 Hammond-lane, aged 45, husband of Mrs. NEALE, also among the dead. The little son of this man was left homeless and hungry all Saturday night. The father was a chainmaker.

James M’QUILL, aged 40, labourer, 5 Bedford-street.

It is stated confidently that at least two, perhaps three, more persons are still lying dead among the debris, one of whom is a washerwoman seen going into the shop shortely (sic) before the catastrophe by M’Quill’s brother. The engine-driver MAHER, is expected to recover. He is over 60 years of age, and has been seven years in charge of the engine. The latter was bought by the Messrs. STRONG, fifteen years ago, and was at that time second-hand. The instability of the engine was a by-word in the neighbourhood, and we are informed on good authority that the inspector who viewed it on behalf of the insurance company pointed out the risk of an explosion that was being run. At the time of the accident the engine was being worked at a pressure of between 40 and 50 pounds, the normal pressure being 20 pounds. It also appears that the hour of the occurrence was the men’s time for dining, and that were it not for this and the fact that fully sixty men had not been taken on as a punishment for being absent during Easter, the loss of life would have been frightful. In the fitting room, right above the boiler that burst, thirty men were in the habit of working. It would be impossible that any of these could have escaped had they been present. At midnight last night the scene shade was only made different by the additional of horror the darkness can always cast. Chains are drawn round the fatal spot lit up at intervals by flickering lanterns and with here and there the gleaming uniform of a watching policeman. Either end of the lane is still blocked up by a crowd of the relations and friends of the killed, muttering in awe-struck whispers some new and sad detail of the accident, or recalling incidents in the life or marked traits of character in the deceased. Of the many harrowing sights to be seen throughout the two days at the gloomy spot, none surpassed that of a grey-haired man passing up and down the lane with bent head and drowned tears, only stopping now and then to cry out, “Would to God I was with the slain.” More lessons were to be gained from the sign of human suffering in the Hammond-lane on Saturday and Sunday last than could be learned from the liveliest tale of woe that ever a feeling writer penned.

Amongst the many extraordinary incidents connected with the explosion is the escape of a country woman who had come to town to do some marketing. She had completed nearly all her business, when she stopped her donkey and cart just opposite the foundry, while she crossed the road to buy some few articles. She had only gone a couple of yards when the explosion occurred, and donkey and cart were buried in the debris. Bricks thrown up by the explosion were on Sunday to be seen on the dome of the Four Courts.

May 10, 1878


GRIER – May 7, at Farnham-street, Cavan, the wife of Joseph D. Grier, Esq., of a daughter.


NOLAN and M’QUAKER – May 6, in the Presbyterian Church, Cavan, by the Rev. James CARSON, Mr. Thomas Nolan, painter, &c., Farnham, to Miss Mary M’Quaker, Crosshill, Maybole, N.B.


M’LEAN – May 6, at Belturbet, Alexander M’Lean aged 78 years.


The Rev. J. C. MARTIN, A.M>, was instituted last week to the incumbency of Killeshandra, vacant by the death of his father, the Venerable the Archdeacon of Kilmore.

The Board of Nomination for Bailieborough met at the Synod Hall, Dublin, under the presidency of the Lord Bishop of Kilmore, on Wednesday, the 8th inst., when the Rev. Dr. HUTCHINSON was unanimously elected to the incumbency.

The Bishop has appointed the Rev. M. N. THOMPSON, rector of Killinagh, to the rural deanery, vacant by the resignation of the rev. John HAMILTON, rector of Killargue.

An Annuity paid by Government of £9 a-year, for the life of a healthy man, now aged 52 years, for sale.

Apply to
Auctioneer, Cavan.


On Friday night last, at about eleven o’clock, one of the thatched houses in the Blue-yard was found to be in flames. Two attached houses also took fire, and there was every danger of the houses in the Main-street being also burnt. A large body of the 7th Dragoon Guards having arrived on the scene (all hope of saving the burning premises being given up), a copious supply of water was poured on the adjoining buildings, which fortunately prevented the flames from spreading any further. The damage done is very considerable. The fire is supposed to be the work of an incendiary.

Cavan petty sessions. – Monday.

(Before Wm. BABINGTON and John FOY, Esqr.)


Hugh SMITH, Bernard FITZPATRICK, John SHERIDAN, Patt FAY, Michael MURRAY, Terence SMITH, Michael TIERNEY, Bartley SODEN, Patt LAUKEY (sp?), Richard LYNCH, Edward LAMAB, Pat MURTRY, Pat FITZPATRICK, Thomas MONAGHAN, Bernard CLARKE, and Andrew GAFFNEY were summoned by the Constabulary for drunkenness and fined in sums of 2s 6d and upwards.


Matthew BRADY, Philip CASTLES, Bartley SODEN, Bridget CAROLAN, John RORKE, Matthew BLEAKELY, Peter GEOGHEGAN, and Mary BLACK were fined 6d each for having unlicensed dogs.


Hugh SMITH and Patt M’ALOON (sp?) were fined for permitting their cattle to wander on the public road.

Bridget FITZPATRICK pleaded guilty of stealing a knife and fork, and was sentenced to one week’s imprisonment.

Sub-Constable HUMPHREYS summoned Patrick MAGUIRE and James WOODS for being drunk and fighting.

As Woods did not appear, the case was adjourned for a week.

Philip SMITH summoned Henry REILLY for trespass of cattle.

Fined 3s and costs.

James HAUGHEY, a deserter from the 66th foot, was remanded for a week.


PURSUANT to the statue 2w2nd and 23rd Victoria, cap. 35, Notice is hereby given that all creditors and other persons having any claims or demands upon or against the estate of William MAGEE, late of Tully, in the County of Cavan, farmer, deceased, who died at Tully aforesaid, on the 10th day of February, 1878, and whose will with one codicil was proved in the Principal Registry of the Probate and Matrimonial Division, of the High Court of Justice (Ireland), on the 3rd day of May, 1878, by Robert DAVIS, of Laghan, Esquire, Eliza DOUGLAS, of Freamount, Cootehill, wife of William DOUGLAS, of said place, gentleman, all in said County of Cavan, and Margaret BERRY, of Sandymount, Dublin, widow, the Executors (save as to property in America), named in said will and codicil, are hereby required to send in the particulars of their respective claims or demands to the said Executors at the office of Messrs. William FINDLATER & Co., No. 35, Upper Ormond-quay, Dublin, on or before the 9th day of July next, after which day the said Executors will proceed to apply and distribute the assets of the said testator, having regard only to the debts, claims, and demands, of which they then shall have had notice, and they will not be answerable or liable for the assets so distributed, or any part thereof, to any person or persons of whose debt, claim, or demand notice shall not have been received at the time and place above-mentioned.

Dated this 8th day of May, 1878.
Solicitors for the said Executors,
No. 35, Upper Ormond-quay, Dublin.

At Lifiord Court-house, yesterday, the prisoners charged with the murder of Lord Leitrim, his clerk and driver, were again brought up before the magistrates. Some additional evidence was given. Mrs. DOLAND, mistress of the school which the prisoner M’GRANAGHAN’s sister attended, proved about the time of the murder missing the girl’s copy-book. After the assassination a policeman brought her the copy-book. The girl was seen in the school before school time one morning. Professor HODGES deposed to finding spots of blood on two pairs of trousers found in the houses of the prisoners – Anthony and Michael M’GRANAGHAN. Inspector CARR said he should connect all the accused with the murder, either as principals or accessories. The prisoners were again remanded.


In our last issue we gave the particulars of a charge of fowl stealing, made before Mr. THOMSON, J.P., against a lad named James DANE, residing near Mayo Bridge. Mr. Thomson committed the boy on remand to the Newry Bridewell, to be brought up at the petty sessions on Wednesday. On Sunday afternoon, while in the exercise ground of the bridewell, the lad, who was the only prisoner in custody, climbed up some spouting, and squeezed himself through the bars of a window into the female ward of the prison. The space between the bars through which he escaped into the female ward is not more than six inches. The stairs in the female ward lead down to the main entrance of the bridewell, into which the boy made his way, and succeeded in getting out of the prison by some means. His absence was shortly discovered, and a search instituted in the prison, but it was of no avail. From certain marks found in the chimney of his cell, it would seem that the lad had endeavoured to effect his escape by this means, but failed. The constabulary of M’ALLISTER’s Terrace station were soon in pursuit, and between nine and ten o’clock Constable AIKENS and Sub-Constable MULLIGAN found Master Dane seated comfortably at supper in his parental abode in the wilds of Tamnabarry. The constable apologized for breaking up the family party, and requested the company of the young Dane to a resumption of his old quarters in Kilmorey Street, Newry, to which he acceded, but not without a parting howl at leaving his native hearth. On Monday morning he was again brought before Mr. HOEY, J.P. and further remanded on two charges. Dane is a quiet-looking lad, about 12 years of age. – Newry Telegraph.

A CURIOUS CONDITION. – The contingent reversionary interest of a gentleman in freehold estate in the Moylish, County Limerick, and Toenagh County Clare, was put up for sale at the Toker house-yard auction mart, London. There is a rental of £710 a year from the lands, and Mrs. Alicia JUDD, on whose life the reversion depends is 67 years of age. The interest was sold subject to the statement that “in 1872 the reversioner executed a deed which being enrolled in Chancey, has turned the estate into a base-free – that is, a fee-simple so long as he and his children may live thus, if he dies before his mother without children, his interest lapses, and if he survive his mother his base-fee will be enlarged into a fee simple. Should he die before his mother, leaving children, the base-fee will continue so long as his descendants live. At the present time, the reversioner is unmarried.” The biddings were brisk, and ultimately the reversion was knocked down at £5,500.

LAWLESSNESS IN WESTMEATH AND KING’S COUNTY. – Information has been received by the constabulary of Athlone of an outrage having been perpetrated on the previous night at the house of a farmer named James EGAN, residing at Ballanatown, on the borders of the King’s county. Egan’s statement is to the effect that at half-past nine o’clock he heard a shot fired in his yard. It was dark at the time, and on going to the door he observed a man a few yards off. The intruder said if Egan did not stop his interference with his neighbours he would be again visited and left entirely harmless by being shot. Another shot was then fired and the man decamped. On Monday Mr. Francis MOORE, a respectable farmer, living near Clara, was the recipient of a threatening letter warning him under pain of death to have nothing to do with a land dispute going on in his neighbourhood. Owing to threats at Dalystown, Westmeath, an iron hut has been erected there for the accommodation of extra police.

May 17, 1878.


(Before W. BABINGTON and W. A. MOORE, Esqrs.).

Con CARROLL, Joseph BRADY, Philip GUILSHENAN, Richard LYNCH, and Daniel SHERIDAN, were fined in small sums for having unlicensed dogs.

Peter TULLY was fined 1s for permitting his ass to wander on the road.

Thomas COX, John GUILSHENAN, and Peter CULLEVAN were fined for drunkenness.

John BRADY of Ballyhaise was charged with being drunk and assaulting the police.

Sent to gaol for five weeks.

DROWNED IN A BOG-HOLE. – The Mayo Coroner held an inquest a few days ago at Attyman, near Ballina, on the body of a man named MELODY, who was found drowned in a bog-hole. It appears that he had been several years subject to epilepsy, and having gone to the bog to take home a basket of turf, he was seized by a fit, and fell into the pool of water in which a few hours later, his dead body was found. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the facts.


Among the few Guardians who assembled at the Monaghan Workhouse, on Wednesday, some surprise was excited on their being informed that a local attorney had just entered the house for the purpose of preparing the will of one of the paupers. The anomalous statement led them to inquire the name of the client, and the amount he had to dispose of; and, although the latter part of their interrogatory was not satisfactorily answered, they learned, at least, that the Board and the ratepayers had been swindled. The testator’s name is James M’PHILIPS, aged about 40 years, is registered as belonging to the Roman Catholic Church, and has had the advantage of an American training, peculiarly anti-English . M’Phillips was originally reared in Monaghan Workhouse. After leaving it he lived at Fer___ in this county, where he was employed winding bobbins for handloom weavers. He afterwards honoured America with his presence, where he remained for eleven years, and saved over 1,500 dols., or 1,600. Of this sum he has, as we have been informed, over 1,000 dols., deposited in an American bank at Rosland, or Roysland, Long Island, and he has in this country above £60 sterling, and some promissory notes. The latter are deposited with his sister, who lives someplace in the neighbourhood from which he emigrated. The sums named in these promissory notes, and the amount of which I have not learned, he bequeaths to herself. But the greater portion of it he has in this country is said to have been deposited in a bank in town. With this cash to his credit, and with less clothes on his body than could be purchased for fourpence, he presented himself at the door of the relieving officer some months ago, and represented that he was in a state of the most extreme destitution. He was admitted to the workhouse, where he has remained since, and has been able, notwithstanding his illness from what is known as Bright’s disease, to partake of his full allowance, according to the extra and superior dietary scale of infirmary patients. The money he had in bank he has drawn out and handed over to his clergyman, and has made a will directing the mode in which his effects in America, shall be disposed of. Among other instructions he has given is one in reference to his funeral. He directs that he shall be decently interred in the burial ground of the Roman Catholic chapel at Monaghan; that the hearse shall be drawn by two horses, and he has even named the undertake who shall conduct his funeral arrangements.

May 24, 1878


At the Presbyterian Church, Cavan, 6th May, by the Rev. James CARSON, Thomas NOLAN, Painter, Farnham, to Mary M’QUAKER, sixth daughter of Mr. William M’Quaker, Crosshill, Maybole, Ayrshire, N.B.


May 9, at the Fever Hospital, Cavan, of typhoid fever, Johnny GRIFFITH, for many years the faithful servant at Griffith’s Lodge, Milltown; deeply and deservedly regretted.


Mr. William WILLS, late governor of Cavan Gaol, has been appointed governor of Armagh District Prison.

PURSUANT to a Decree of the High Court of Justice in Ireland, Chancery Division, made in the cause of Patrick KEELAN against John GOGARTY and another, Record No. 3353, the Creditors of Bridget Gogarty, late of Dunaree, in the County of Cavan, widow, who died in or about the month of March, 1876, are, on or before the 10th day of June, 1878, to send by post prepared, to Mr. William MAHAFFEY, of No. 8, Eden-day, Dublin, the solicitor of the said Patrick Keelan who is Executor of said Bridget Gogarty, their Christian and surnames, addresses and descriptions, and in the case of firms the names of the partners and style or title of the firm, the full particulars of their claim, a statement of their accounts and the nature of the securities (if any) held by them; and all persons claiming Incumbrances affecting the real Estate of the said Bridget Gogarty, are by their Solicitors to come in and prove their claims at the Chambers of the Vice-Chancellor, Four Courts, City of Dublin, on or before said 10th day of June, 1878, or in default thereof they will be peremptorily excluded from the benefit of said Decree.

Every Creditor or Claimant on real estate holding any security is to produce the same before Right Honourable the Vice-Chancellor at his Chambers, Four Courts, Dublin, on Wednesday, the 26th day of June, 15 12 o’clock, noon, being the time appointed for hearing and adjudicating upon the claims.

Dated this 18th day of May, 1878.
A. T. CHATTERTON, Chief Clerk



A PUBLIC LECTURE will be delivered in connection with the above Society in the
On Thursday Evening, the 13th of June, 1878
Rector of Lurgan, Co. Armagh.
Subject: “St. Patrick, on the early Irish Church.”

Chair to be taken by the Lord Bishop of the Diocese at 7:30 o’clock.
Admission Sixpence.




Mission Preacher’s – The Right Rev. the Lord Bishop of Kilmore, The Ven. Archdeacon SHONE, Rev. Dr. BURNSIDE, Rev. JAMES HEWITT, M.A., Rev. George GARRETT, M.A., Rev. John B. RADCLIFFE, M.A., and Rev. William S. LITTLE, M.A.

Mission Sermons will be preached (d.v.) as follows, commencing on Sunday, May 26, and ending with the Bishop’s Address on June 3:-

Sunday, May 26, Cootehill Church, at 11:30 a.m. by Rev. James HEWITT; Dernkesh Church, at 3 p.m., by Rev. Wm. S. LITTLE; Cootehill Church, at 7 p.m., by Rev. James HEWITT.

Monday, May 21, Cootehill Church, at 12 noon, by Ven. Archdeacon SHONE; Cootehill Church, at 7:30 p.m., by Ven. Archdeacon SHONE.

Tuesday, May 28, Cootehill Church, at 12 noon, by Ven. Archdeacon SHONE; Cootehill Church, at 7:30, by Ven. Archdeacon SHONE; Drutamon School-house, at 3 p.m., by Rev. John B. RADCLIFFE.

Wednesday, May 29, Cootehill Church, at 12 noon, by Ven. Archdeacon SHONE; Cootehiill Church, at 7:30 p.m., by Rev. George GARRETT; Drutamon School-house, at 3 p.m., by Rev. John B. RADCLIFFE.

Thursday, May 30, Cootehill Church, at 12 noon, by Rev. George GARRETT; Cootehill Church, at 7:30 p.m., by Rev. George GARRETT; Dernakesh Church, at 3 p.m., by Rev. John B. RADCLIFFE.

Friday, May 31, Cootehill Church, at 12 noon, by Rev. George GARRETT; Cootehill Church, at 7:30 p.m., by Rev. George GARRETT.

Saturday, June 1, Cootehill Church (Special Address to Children) at 12 noon, by Rev. George GARRETT.

Sunday, June 2, Cootehill Church, at 11:30 a.m., by Rev. Dr. BURNSIDE; Dernakesh Church, at 3 p.m., by Rev. John B. RADCLIFFE; Cootehill Church, at 7 p.m., by Rev. Dr. BURNSIDE.

There will be a Special Address in Cootehill Church, by the Lord Bishop, on Monday Evening, June 3, at 7:30 o’clock, thus closing the Mission.

The Lord Bishop will hold a Confirmation on Tuesday, June 4, at 12 o’clock, in Cootehill Church.

On Sunday, June 2, the Lord’s Supper will be administered at each of the three Services. – Also, on Tuesday, June 4, after the Confirmation.

The Offertory, at the Holy Communion, upon these occasions, will be devoted to the expenses of the Mission.


Mr. E. M. POWER, coroner, held an inquest on Wednesday, at the Court-house, Tramore, on the body of a young woman named Bridget MOLONEY who died under circumstances of a nature that warranted the constabulary in arresting a young man named DUNNE, prior to the woman’s death on the charge of having administered to her a poisonous drug, for the purpose of producing abortion. It appeared from the evidence adduced at the inquest that deceased and the accused resided as servants with a man named PHELAN, who holds a large farm near Tramore, and that deceased was related to Phelan’s wife, and Dunne to Phelan. In the month of August last, deceased called on Dr. STEPHENSON, Tramore, to get medical treatment, but finding her pregnant he declined to give any. Some days afterwards she came to Waterford, accompanied by Dunne, and in her deposition she states that she purchased some medicine, and that Dunne and she had warmed beer. Shortly afterwards she commenced to complain, and on going home Dr. Stephenson was sent for, who ascertained that she had taken some poisonous drug with the view of procuring abortion. He continued to treat her to the best of his medical skill but she became at first blind, then perfectly prostrate, ultimately paralysis set in, which terminated fatally on Tuesday. Mrs. Phelan at the inquest swore, after some reluctance, that deceased and Dunne, the accused, occupied the same bedroom while in her husband’s employment. Drs. Stephenson and MACKEY deposed to making a post mortem examination of the body, and no trace of poison was discovered, but they had no doubt that she had taken some poisonous drug. The jury found that there was no evidence to show how death resulted. Mr. P. KELLY, Crown Solicitor for Waterford, was in the attendance during the day. Dunne will be tried at the next assizes in connection with the case.

FATAL ACCIDENT ON THE CARRICKFERGUS AND LARNE RAILWAY. - On Friday evening, D. R. TAGGART, Esq., M.D., coroner, and a jury, held an inquest at Bonybefore, near Carrickfergus, on the body of a man named Henry MILLAR, aged 72 years, who met his death on the Carrickfergus and Larne Railway at Boneybefore about three o’clock on the previous evening. Mr. Alexander O’RORKE appeared on behalf of the railway company. Samuel PALMER deposed that he was the driver in charge of the train that left Carrickfergus for Larne at 2:57 p.m. on Thursday. When the train was emerging from the cutting near Boneybefore he observed a man walking on the line 400 yards in advance. The alarm whistle was sounded, and the engine reversed and brakes applied, but he found it impossible to stop the train until it had passed over the body of deceased. There was a strong breeze of wind and heavy rain at that time. Sub-Inspector Bernard, R.I.C., deposed to being in the train when the occurrence took place. He heard the alarm whistle sounded, and the train was brought to a stand-still in a very short space of time. When the train stopped he (witness) went back some distance, and found Millar lying on the line. He believed the driver made every exertion to bring the train to a standstill. The jury returned a verdict of accidental death, and expressed their belief that no blame was attributable to any of the officials of the company.

THE LATE LORD LEITRIM AND HIS REPRESENTATIVES – TRESPASS CASES. – At Milford Petty Sessions, on Tuesday last, before Mr. T. B. HARTE (chairman), Captain PEEL, R.M., Mr. John H. SWINEY, J.P., a question arose under the following circumstances as to who are the legal representatives of the late Lord Leitrim.:- Captain DOPPING, agent of the late Lord Leitrim, appeared on behalf of the representatives of Lord Leitrim to prosecute in 25 cases for wilful, personal, and animal trespass on the lands of Carrigart, complainant’s property. Mr. MACKEY, solicitor, Hamelton, who appeared for the defendants, objected to Captain Dopping appearing to conduct the cases. The Chairman said it had been the usual custom to allow the agent to appear on behalf of Lord Leitrim. Mr. Mackey said that as Lord Leitrim was now dead, and as there was no known representative, Captain Dopping could not appear in the cases, and that as there were no legal complainants before the Court the magistrates must dismiss the cases. Captain Dopping urged the magistrates to proceed with the cases and take a note of Mr. Mackey’s objections, and if necessary to submit them to the Law Adviser of the Crown for his opinion thereon. Mr. Mackey again objected to Captain Dopping saying anything in the case, as he had no lecus standi (sp?). After some further discussion the magistrates unanimously agreed to dismiss the cases without prejudice.

May 31, 1878


ATWELL – May 30th, at Farnham, Boad Cottage, Cavan, the wife of Mr. William H. Atwell, of a daughter.

GORDON – May 27, at Gradum, Ballyjamesduff, the wife of Mr. Thomas Gordon, of a son.


MASSY – May 28, at Denn Vicarage, Isabella, the beloved wife of the Rev. Dawson Massy, D.D., departed this life. Her last act in health was to teach Sunday School-class, and children the Holy Scripture, in Denn School. She always mourned over persons joining the anti-Scriptural National Board. Her last words were, “I desire to cling closer to Jesus.”

SUICIDE. – On Sunday morning last, the body of an old man named Phillip COLLINS was found hanging lifeless from a tree near Kingscourt. Deceased appeared in his usual health on the morning of his death, and without any known cause, hung himself with a small cord.


The marriage of Rev. D. Wm. DIGBY, L.L.D. of Quivvy, Belturbet, to Miss Sara Radcliff, youngest daughter of the late John Radcliffe, of Bearshurst, was solemnized at St. Chad’s Church, Saddleworth, on Wednesday morning. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. R. WHITELOCK, M.A., vicar, assisted by the Rev. J. W. BARON, curate. The church was filled with spectators, composed chiefly of the fair sex. Before and after the wedding merry peals were rung on the church bells, and Mr. David BUTTERWORTH, organist at St. Mary’s, Greenfield, played Mendelssonn’s “Wedding March.” The bride was given away by her brother, Mr. John Radcliffe. The best man was Mr. WALLIS, of Dublin. The bride wore a dress of white satin, trimmed with white lace tulle, veil, and wreath, of orange blossoms. The bridesmaids, Miss Radcliff (sister of the bride) and Miss BEAUMONT, were attired in pale blue silk. Each, like the bride, carried a bouquet of flowers. Flowers were strewn on the carpet, which was laid from the church to the roadway. Five carriages conveyed the bridal party to and from the church. A sumptuous breakfast was provided at the house of the bride’s father, during the course of which the usual complimentary toasts were given and responded to. The health of the bride and bridegroom was proposed by the Rev. R. Whitelock, to which Dr. Digby responded in suitable terms. The presents to the bride were both numerous and costly. The bride and bridegroom left at 3 p.m. for Stockport for London and the south; where the honeymoon will be spent. The bride will be missed by many in Saddleworth, as she was a good friend to the poor by whom she was highly esteemed.


Our readers will learn with sorrow, though not with surprise, that the venerable and beloved John GREGG, Bishop of Cork, Cloyne, and Ross, is dead. The deceased prelate was in the 80th year of his age, and for a considerable time past was in enfeebled and failing health; but on Sunday last the inevitable end came, and he entered into rest.

We believe that Dr. Gregg was a native of the county Clare, and son of the late Richard Gregg, of Cappa. He was educated in Trinity College, and in the year 1822 obtained a Scholarship. In 1825 he took the bachelor’s Degree in Arts; but it was not until 1860 he received the degree of M.A., at which time he also received the Degrees of B.D. and D.D. In 1826 he was ordained, and became Curate of St. Paul’s, Portarlington; two years afterwards he was promoted to the Vicarge of Kilsallaghan, and in 1835 he was appointed to the Chaplaincy of the Bethesda, in the city of Dublin. That Church was burned to the ground in the great storm of January 6th, 1839; but Trinity Church had just then been built; he was immediately appointed its Minister, and in this position he remained until 1863, when on the recommendation of the Earl of Carlisle, then Lord Lieutenant, he was appointed by Lord Palmeraton to the See of Cork, which then became vacant by the translation of Bishop FITZGERALD to Killalee. His elevation to the Episcopal Bench came upon his many friends and the Church generally as a pleasant surprise. It is true that in 1857 he had been appointed Archdeacon of Kildare, which honorary preferment he held in conjunction with the Chaplaincy of Trinity Church; but John Gregg never meddled much in politics, and it was not supposed that he belonged to the class of men whom Prime Ministers delight to honour. Lord Palmerston’s Church patronage was generally wisely exercised; but we doubt if he ever made a selection which commanded more universal approval than when he selected Dr. Gregg for the see of Cork.

In the reconstruction of the Irish Church rendered necessary by Gladstone’s Act of Disestablishment, Bishop Gregg took an active part. In the discussions of the General Synod, it became evident that he held pretty high views of Episcopal prerogative; and that such was his love for the old Book of Common Prayer and the formularies to which he had been accustomed through a long life, that he was very much disinclined to anything like a thorough and extensive revision. In these respects, perhaps, he rather disappointed some of strong evangelical views; but we are not aware that anyone ever impeached the purity of his motives. The administration of his diocese was characterized by wisdom and zeal, kindliness and vigour; and the rebuilding f St. Fin Barre’s Cathedral, now neatly completed, must be regarded as a noble monument of his own generosity and of the great esteem in which he was held throughout the diocese. Nevertheless, we are disposed to think that the long period covered by his chaplaincy of Trinity Church, Dublin, may have been the happiest and not the least useful portion of his __le. He was then in the full maturity and vigour of his intellectual and physical prowess; his church was filled to overflowing every Sunday with a congregation which included not only some of the most distinguished citizens of Dublin, but large numbers of the educated classes, many of the students of Trinity College being amongst this most constant and appreciative hearers, so that his influence extended far beyond the metropolis and the name of John Gregg became a household word throughout the Protestantism of Ireland.

We perceive that on Tuesday last there was a special meeting of the Cork Town Council, held for the purpose of making arrangements to pay a suitable mark of respect to his memory on the occasion of the removal of his remains to Dublin for interment.

A marriage is arranged and will shortly take place between Miss Edwina FITZPATRICK, second daughter of Mr. and Lady Olivia Fitzpatrick, and Mr. John BROOKE, third son of the late Mr. Francis Brooke and the Hon. Mrs. Brooke, of Summerton, county Dublin.



Before J. J. BENNISON, J.P.


Fifteen persons were fined for Drunkenness in sums varying from 1s to 5s each.


Sub-Constable CANTILLON summoned Pat CLARK and Wm. MARTIN for an assault on Wm. FINLAY, on 16th May, at the back of the market-house, in Ballyconnell.

Sub-Constable Cantillon said he saw Clark striking Finlay with a stick, and he believed they were pitching half-pence.

Court to Clark – Have you any questions to ask the Sub-Constable?

I could not tell; some person kicked me, but I do not know who.

Fined 1s and costs.


Rose COSGROVED summoned Peter DRUM, of Aughrim, for £2 10s, alleged to be due for wages as house-keeper, from 15th October to 4th March, 1878.

Complainant said that defendant came to her and asked her to come and keep house for him for some time until he would get married; made no agreement as to wages.

Defendant’s father appeared, and asked would he be allowed to ask complainant a few questions.

Court – Of course.

Defendant’s father – Now Rosy, don’t you mind when Peter and you and I were sitting at the tire and that I asked you what wages was Peter giving you?

Rosy – No, you never asked me such a thing.

Defendant’s father – Rosy, I said I seen a great many tricky people in my time; now, Rosy, don’t you mind the conversation we had at the tire?

Rosy – No, I had no conversation with you, it was Peter I was with.

Court – You must pay the girl, and a decree was given for £1 10s.

John O’BRIEN summoned Thomas O’BRIEN for taking a bush out of complainant’s gap, and putting it in his own.



On Friday last, Martin DOOLEY was arrested at his residence in Leabeg, near Cloghan, on suspicion of having fired shots into the house of two brothers named Michael and Thomas DOOLEY, farmers, residing in the same townland. The only evidence against the prisoner was that he had a licence (sic) for a double-barrelled gun and was not on very good terms with the other Dooleys, who are relations of his. He was discharged from custody. In the course of the inquiry it transpired that a pellet struck the bedpost a little over an inch above the place where Thomas Dooley was sleeping.


On Saturday, William Arnott GOING, Esq., one of the coroners for the King’s County, held an inquest at a place called the Wood of O, near Philipstown, on the remains of a human being found in the bog on the previous day by some labourers. They were enclosed in an ill-constructed coffin. The lower extremities were tied together, and on the feet were stockings which appeared as if they had been only a short time knitted. An old man gave evidence that nearly seventy years ago a woman named BERMINGHAM committed suicide, and was refused Christian burial and interred in the bog. The jury found that the bones were those of a human being, but that they had no satisfactory proof to enable them to arrive at a more definite conclusion.

County Cavan Newspaper Transcription Project

Ireland Home Page
County Cavan

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.