Cavan Weekly News
Published in Cavan, county Cavan

Friday, July 5, 1878


Spinks - June 28, at Kiffa House, Ballyjamesduff, the wife of William Henry Spinks of a son.


LOWRY - July 2, at Kilmainham, in his 35th year, Mr. Geo. Lowry, formerly of Ballyjamesduff.

JOHNSTON - June 27, at Clifton Terrace, Manchester, Walter Henry (son of William Johnston, late Coravhan), aged 38 years.


The Cavan Militia were inspected on Wednesday, at four o'clock, by Col. WARD, Armagh. The officers present were Lieut. Col. DEASE; Majors SAUNDERSON, KERR, and GOSSELIN (adjutant); Captains SAUNDERSON, HUMPHRYS, BERESFORD, LESLIE, and LYNCH; Lieutenants MAWHINNY, TUITE, HODSON, DAWSON-DAMER, and ARMSTRONG. Col. Ward expressed himself well pleased with the result of his inspection. The disembodiment will take place tomorrow (Saturday).


The celebrated DU-VAL has lately visited Cavan, and exhibited his wonderful performances for two days in the Protestant Hall. His celebrity attracted very large and respectable audiences; and the expectations of those who came were not only not disappointed but more than realized. His visit was, we believe, in every respect a great success; and should he soon return to Cavan we have no doubt he will receive a cordial welcome. We understand that he has been favoured with similar success in Cootehilll, Belturbet, Clones, and other towns in the neighbourhood.


(Before T. THOMPSON, J. G. TATLOW, and R. BURROWES, Esqs.)

Philip MURRAY, sen., was summoned for having an unlicensed dog.
He was fined 5s and costs and ordered to take out a license.

John SMITH summoned George TAYLOR for using threatening language towards him.
Mr. HAMILTON said Smith was his apprentice; his father didn't wish him to proceed with the case.

Bus-constable Maxwell summoned Michael CUSAK for being drunk and disorderly.
Fined 10s and costs.

Ellen JONES summoned Mary PATTERSON, for assaulting her.
The plaintiff and defendant are relatives, and living near Stradone. A dispute arose about some trespass, when defendant struck complainant with a hammer.
Fined £2 and £1 costs, or in default a month in gaol.

Mr. William MATCHETT summoned Alice SMITH for trespass of cattle.
Fined 2s 6d and costs.

Phill HOWARD summoned Mr. William L. HAMILTON for 15s, three weeks wages, up to the 15th ult.
As plaintiff had not been in Mr. Hamilton's employment during the time, the case was dismissed.

Acting-constable ATWOOD summoned Edward LAMB for drunkenness.
Fined 5s and costs.

Constable DOLAN preferred a similar charge against John STRONG, Anne DEVLIN, Thomas REILLY and Bryan BRADY.
Devlin was fined 10s, and the other defendants 5s each.

Sub-constable HUMPHRYS preferred a similar charge against William SMITH.
Fined 2s 6d.

Sub-constable FUNSTON summoned James COSGROVE, Jane FOSTER, and Thomas MURPHY, for having unlicensed dogs.
Fined 5s each, and ordered to take out licenses.

(Before W. F. DARLEY, Esq., Q.C., County Court Judge.)


Lord Lanesboro' v. Judith DONOVAN, for £15, three years' rent up to May last of a farm.
Decree granted.

Same v. Peter NEWMAN for £26 3s, three years' rent of like.
Decree granted.

Same v. Thomas OLWILL for £40, like.
Decree granted.

Same v. _____ BRADY, for £34 17s 4d, like.
Decree granted.

Samuel SANDERSON v. John FAGAN for £27 3s, one and a half years' rent of a farm in Corlisalee.
Decree granted.
It was stated to his lordship that defendant was insane, and he granted a stay of execution for a month, to allow his brother to settle the decree.

William JOHNSTON v. Judith REILLY for £5 15s three years' rent of a house in Swanlinbar.
Decree granted.

Mrs. Mary BLACK v. George WEIR, for recovery of possession of a house at Gartbratten.
Decree granted by consent.

Robert George L'ESTRANGE v. RANDAL, and Charles HUSTON for £40 8s 10d one year's rent up to 1st May last of a farm.
Decree granted.

Same v. John ROAN, for £20 9s 3d one year's rent up to May last.
Decree granted.

William A. F. FORSTER v. Kate MERTZ, for recovery of possession of a house in Cavan.
The notice to quit, &c., having been proved, his lordship granted a decree to possession.

Edward FLEMING v. Anne LEE, to recover possession of a farm at Ballynagh.
Mr. John G. TATLOW said the lease was made January 4th, 1834, by the grandfather of plaintiff to the grandfather of defendant, for the lives of Bryan LEE, Owen LEE, and Joseph MAGUIRE.

William ADDY proved the deaths of Owen Lee and Joseph Maguire,
he never seen Bryan, but he often read his tombstone.
Decree granted.

Edward SAUNDERSON v. Anne CASSELLS, for recovery, by notice to quit, of possession of a small farm.
Decree granted.

Lord Farnham v. Peter HARTON for £26, two years' rent of a farm.
Decree granted.

Edward MAGUIRE v. Michael BRADY, for £27 17s 6d two years' rent of a farm.
Decree granted.

Bernard CASSIDY v. Mary DOLAN, to recover possession of a farm purchased by plaintiff, which had been sold by the Sheriff under an execution.
Decree granted.

Peter HALTON v. Peter DOLAN, for £3, one-and-a-half years' rent of a house.
Decree granted.

Commissioners of Education v. John LAMB, for £36 18s 3, four years' rent of a farm.
There was a dispute about the amount due.
A decree was granted; not to be executed if a year's rent be paid.

Richard HAZZARD v. Owen MAGOVERN for recovery of possession of a farm in Guberwally.
A bailiff proved notice to quit, &c.
Decree granted.

Christopher BRACKER v. Johnston CROWE, for recovery of 7 acres of land near Ballyconnell, which it was alleged was held as grazing.
Mr. KENNEDY said the defendant held them for eighteen years and the plea of grazing was got up to defeat a land claim.
His Lordship dismissed the case.


The friends of the Rev. N. Sneyd Taylor will be glad to learn that though for a time in a precarious state of health, he now makes decided progress towards recovery. Complete mental rest having been prescribed for Mr. Taylor, he considered himself obliged to resign the Pastorate of Furrough Cross Church. Such, however, is the attachment of his people towards him, that they declined to accept his resignation, and have resolved to pay a substitute until such time as Mr. Taylor may, through the good providence of God, be enabled to resume his work.

Mr. Taylor’s health suffered severely from the sad bereavement he sustained in the death by drowning of his two youngest children, Dora Kate, and Lily Marguerite. We understand from those who knew them that the daily life of these little ones testified their love to the “Tender Shepherd” who has called them “Home.”

“Oh, not in cruelty, nor in wrath,
The Reaper came that day;
‘Twas an angel visited the green earth,
And took the flowers away.”


Our County Militia who have been embodied for the usual period of annual training, will be disembodied to-morrow. During the time they have been here nothing could exceed the propriety and steadiness of their general conduct. We have not heard of a single instance of unsteadiness, nor of a single offence against either law or order. We hope they will continue to deserve this good character; and that when they are disembodied they will promptly and soberly return to their homes and their usual occupations. Each of them will now be entitled to a sum of money; and no doubt there will be many temptations to spend it. To yield to the temptation cannot but result in disappointment and unhappiness, and may result in much worse; to resist the temptation can never cause regret and must ever be a source of comfort and satisfaction.

DEATH OF THE RESIDENT MAGISTRATE OF MONAGHAN. – On Sunday night, between nine and ten o’clock, Mr. R.J. WHITE, R.M. for this county, expired suddenly at his residence, Tanagh House, near Cootehill. Mr. White was a young man and apparently of robust health. He attended at the Crown business of the quarter sessions on Thursday last Monaghan, but, as I have been informed, had an attack of heart disease on his return home in the evening. His medical adviser and clergyman were sent for, and after some time he rallied so far that he was able to go about his business on Friday. On Saturday he went to Rockcorry (sp.) and presided at the monthly petty sessions there. On Sunday he was quite well up to within a few minutes of his death. I am ____ he was in the habit of a friend or two at dinner on Sundays and that day Major THOMPSON, of Thornhill, had dined with him, and left about nine o’clock in the evening. Major Thompson had ____ left Tanagh House when an order was given to Mr. White’s coachman to drive rapidly for the doctor but before he had the machine ready, Mr. White had expired. He was son of he late Colonel White of Nan____ of the County Limerick, and brother of Mr. White, D.L., a magistrate for that county, now resident at the same, ____. He had been for several years stipendary (sp.) magistrate of this county, and will ___________________, nearly related by family to the County Court Judge of Belfast. The sudden death has caused a deep _______ and much regret in the county.

(Before The Right Hon. Judge ORMSBY.)


COUNTY CAVAN. – The estate of James HALTON, Thomas KEELAN, and Patraick KEELAN, trustees for sale under the will of Bridget GOHARTY, deceased; ex-parte Michael KELLY. Part of the town and land of Laraweehan, containing 144a 3r 23p statute measure, situate in the barony of Clankee; held in fee simple; net rental £84 16s 1d. Sold for £1,800 to Mr. P. CALL, in trust for Mr. and Mrs. M’CABE. Mr. Thomas O’REILLY, solicitor, had carriage of the sale.


Two deaths by drowning in Lough Erne occurred on Sunday – one that of a fine young soldier of the Fermanagh Light Infantry Militia, who met his death at twelve o’clock while bathing. His body was recovered about three. In less than an hour afterwards a sadder death was reported. The keeper of the mess of the 23rd Royal Welsh fusiliers went out with his wife and two children in a boat, and the day being very tempting for a swim, he put the boat into land and stripped for a bathe. Although a good swimmer, from cramps or some other cause, the poor fellow in a few minutes was drowned before his wife’s eyes.


Against Anne BAXTER,
Administratrix of
Thomas BAXTER.

By virtue of her Majesty’s Writ of fierl facias, in this cause, I will on Tuesday, the 9th day of July 15, 1878, at the hour of 2:45 o’clock, afternoon, on said day, at the Court House, Cavan, in said County, set up and sell by public


to the highest and fairest bidder, the Right, Title, and Interest (if any), of the defendant, Anne Baxter, as administratrix of Thomas Baxter, deceased, in part of the lands of Bruskey, in the parish of Ballintemple, containing by estimation thirteen acres or thereabouts, subject to the yearly rent of £11 8s 6d.

Also at the hour of 3 o’clock p.m. the interest (if any) of said defendant, Anne Baxter, as administratrix of Thomas Baxter, deceased, in the house and premises situate in the town of Ballynagh, in which she resides.

Terms – Cash. Further terms, conditions, and particulars at time of sale.

Dated this 2nd day of July, 1878.
Edward SMITH, Sheriff


In the Goods of

THE REV. ANDREW TODD GILLMOR, LL.D., late of the Rectory, Bailieborough, in the County of Cavan deceased.

NOTICE is here given, pursuant to an Act passed in the 22nd and 23rd years of the Reign of her present Majesty, cap. 35, entitled an Act further to Amend the Law of Property and relieve Trustees, that all Creditors and Persons having claims against the Estate or Assets of the said Rev. Andrew Todd Gillmor, deceased, who died on the 2nd day of April, 1878, are hereby required to furnish (in writing), on or before the 1st day of September, 1878, the particulars of such claims to the Rev. William George GILLMOR, of South Parade Waterford, the sole executor of the deceased, to whom probate of the Will of said deceased was granted forth of the Principal Registry of the Probate and Matrimonial Division of the High Court of Justice in Ireland, on the 27th day of June, 178; or to the undersigned Solicitor for the said Executor, and in default thereof the said Rev. William George Gilllmor will, after said 1st day of September, 1878, proceed to distribute the assets of the said deceased among the parties entitled thereto, having regard only to the claims of which notice and particulars shall then have been given as above required.

Dated this 3rd day of July, 1878.
William L. BAILLIE, Solicitor for said Executor,
12, Lower Ormond-quay, Dublin.


A few days ago, a harnessmaker named Michael MURPHY, with others, went to bathe, in the Royal Canal near Abbey river. He was an expert swimmer and was performing tricks in the water while his comrades looked on. At last he dived, but did not reappear. His companions succeeded in bringing him out of the canal, but he was quite dead. The deceased was about 38 years of age, and unmarried.

ATTEMPTED RESCUE OF A PRIONSER. – BALLYMENA, SATURDAY. – Yesterday evening, Constable M’ARDLE and Sub-Constable SMYTH arrested a man named William HILLIS for drunkenness in Springwell-street, and while on their way to the police barrack were met by Robert M’MULLEN and a brother of the prisoner, who demanded the release of the latter, and, being refused, they immediately commenced a most brutal attack on the two men; so desperate was the attack that they were obliged to let go the prisoner to protect themselves. M’Mullen rushed at Smyth in a determined manner with a knife, and inflicted a most dangerous wound a little above the left eye, extending the full length of the eyebrow and about an inch in depth. The immense crowd of people were much excited by this time. Fortunately, mounted Su-Constable HAMILTON came to their assistance, and they succeeded in regaining their prisoner and also in arresting M’Mullen.


A fire broke out in a store belonging to Alderman FINN, in Half-Moon Street, on Saturday morning. In the place there were several casks of petroleum and some cases of matches. The firemen succeeded in confining the fire to the premises in which it broke out. In consequence of the inflammable materials in the store it burned very quickly, and by twelve o’clock it was almost entirely extinguished. The place was not insured.


On Saturday night, about half-past nine o’clock, a fire broke out in a shed which was temporarily used as a paint shop in the ship building yard of Messrs. HARLAND and WOLFF, Queen’s Island. The brigade instantly turned out with the new fire engine purchased by the Town Council, and rendered good service, but owing probably to the amount of combustible material at the place, the fire raged fiercely till after midnight, and the flames were seen a great distance off, and attracted a large number of spectators to the quays. A good deal of injury has been sustained. About three weeks ago a fire occurred in the same yard.

July 12, 1878


Head Master –

At the recent Examinations, held in June, those gentlemen who distinguished themselves were divided into ranks, as follows:-

Classics, Class 1 – First rank, none; second rank, L. De B LABATT.
Classics, Class II – First rank, A. E. SIXSMITH.
Classics, Class III – (A) Division – First rank, Wm. SMYTH, F. MALCOMSON, C. RUTLEDGE.
Classics, Class IV – First rank, R. BURKE; second rank, T. LYNDON; third, Robert FEGAN.
English Literature and Composition – L. LEBATT.
Mathematics, Class I – First rank, Wm. Morton MEE.
Mathematics, Class II – J. COWL, George KING, Wm. J. FEGAN.
Mathematics, Class III – Richard BURKE.
English – First, Thos. C. M’CULLOCH; second, Wm. J. FEGAN.
English History, First Class, Lindesay De B LABATT.
English History – Second Class, T. C. M’CULLOCH.
English History – Third Class, George A. KING.
Geography – First Class, Wm. Morton MEE.
Geography – Second Class, Fred MALCOMSON.
Geography – Third Class, Richard BURKE.
French – First, Ernest WANN; second L. De B LABATT.
Scripture – First Class, L. De B LABATT, E. WANN, W. Morton MEE.
Scripture – Second Class, A. HOGG, Wm. J. FEGAN, G. KING, J. COWL, F. MALCOMSON.
Scripture – Third Class, R. BURKE.

July 3rd, 1878


A legal decision, involving the loss of between forty and fifty thousand pounds to various Roman Catholic institutions and charities in Dublin and elsewhere in Ireland, was given a few days ago by the Court of Appeal, consisting of the Lord Chancellor (Ball), the Lord Justice CHRISTIAN, and the Lord Justice DEASY. The question before them was as to the will of the late Mr. Patrick COLEMAN, a grocer and publican, of Dublin. About the end of ’76, Mr. Coleman, feeling ill, instructed a solicitor to set about preparing his will for execution. On the 2nd of January, ’77, the solicitor brought to him a document, endorsed “Draft will,” and embodying his wishes in regard to the disposition of his property. As Mr. Coleman then appeared to be in a dangerous state of health the precaution was taken of having the draft will executed at once by him, in the presence of witnesses, as his last will and testament. His health then seemed to get better, and it was not until the 24th of February that the will, copied out in the usual formal style, was duly executed by Mr. Coleman. Now, it is to be kept in mind that the “draft will,” and the subsequent copy, or “engrossed will,” were precisely to the same effect – even in the same very words – and that both of them left the money in question to the several institutions and charities. Well, on the 7th of April, ’77, Mr. Coleman died. The Act of Parliament which governs the legality of bequests for religious purposes provides that, in order to be valid, in regard to such bequests, a will by which they are left must have been duly executed three moths at least before the testator’s death. From the 2nd of January, on which date Mr. Coleman executed the “draft will,” to the 7th of April, the date on which he died, the period elapsing was longer than three months, and therefore if the draft will was to be held to be his will, or even a part of his will, the law would decree that his money should go as desired. But, on the other hand, from the 24th of February to the 7th of April was shorter than three months, and consequently if the “engrossed will” of the 24th of February – that document, and that alone – was regarded as Mr. Coleman’s last will and testament, all his bequests to religious charities would be cancelled. The judge of the Probate Court decided that both wills, the “draft” one and the “engrossed” one, should be taken together as the last will and testament, and, as this would give the charitable bequests the advantage of the earlier date, he decreed that they were valid according to law. The three judges of Appeal have now decided the other way, to the effect that the document of the 2nd of January was superseded, and, as it were, put out of legal existence, by that of the 24th of February; that the latter must stand alone; and, as the period of three months, required by law, did not intervene between the execution and the death of Mr. Coleman, the charitable bequests all come to naught.

Among the institutions thus deprived of substantial sums, are St. Vincent’s, the Mater, and the Cork-street Hospitals; the schools attached to the Roman Catholic Churches of Clarendon-street, High-street, Dundrum, and to the convents of Booterstown and Trim; the clerical bodies of Clarendon-street, Westland-row, Heytesbury-street, and Church-street; and such institutions as St. Mary’s for the blind, St. Joseph’s, Glasnevin, the Orphanage of St. Vincent DePaul, Glasnevin, the Night Asylum, and the committee for aiding Sick and Indigent Roomkeepers. Had Mr. Coleman lived seven weeks longer than he did, the will of the 24th of February would have defied attack, but the appellate judges hold that his death, on the 7th of April, deprived the last will he had signed of legal force; that that will, in its turn, cancelled the one preceding it, and that both wills utterly failed so far as regards the charities.


The Irish Times of Saturday says: - In the Court over which the Right Hon. Judge FLANAGAN so worthily and so ably presides a scene of dramatic interest occurred yesterday. The solemn formalities which surround “sales” were progressing with funeral staidness, and the mellow cadences of the judge’s “any advance on” was heard amid as much silence as the oath at a coronation. The estate of Mr. William KEON, situate in the County of Mayo, was the last offered for sale. Several of the tenants attended, and the anxiety which they felt at that for them supreme hour was all but written on their faces. This was strikingly noticeable in one particular case. A typical old man from the west, clothed in the homely characteristic attire of his class, who had traveled from five miles beyond the town of Carrick-on-Shannon, sat with sorrowing look on the benches of the court. Beside him was seated his wife, an humble daughter of the soil. Their holding was put up for sale. The tenant bid. He was bid against. He bid again, and was bid against. This was repeated, and at each successive advance the holder of the farm appeared to receive what operated as a shock. He sat down defeated by the power richer than he. His wife, however, had a stouter heart, and she renewed what, perhaps, she knew was a life and a homestead struggle. Her husband felt, however, that the cause was a hopeless one, and that he was being carried out of his shallow depth. In a low voice he told her to stop, but her strong spirit was not quelled until he absolutely stopped her mouth with his hat and his hands. The judge delayed the sale with a merciful consideration, hoping, no doubt, to be the means of giving the Bright Clauses a benevolent, and in such a case a most suitable operation. But gold won the day, and poor Pat WARD, of Leitrim, lost his holding.


Ballinasloe, Saturday.

A man named Patrick KEATINGE, a labourer, made a desperate attempt to murder his wife. They had lived unhappilly (sic), and four months ago she applied to have him arrested for his ill-treatment of her. He then absconded, and did not reappear until Thursday night, when he applied for admission at her residence in Laurencetown, about six miles distant. Being refused, he forced open the door and struck the woman several blows on the head with a heavy stone. He then decamped and has not been traced. Mrs. Keatinge is in a most dangerous state.


The following letter, which reflects the highest credit upon the rev gentleman who writes it, was read at the last meeting of guardians of the North Dublin Union:-

54 Leeson-park, July 1, 1878.

DEAR SIR – Will you kindly place the following letter before the board of the North Union at their meeting on Wednesday next. I received a cheque for £21 for my duties at the small-pox sheds but, as I was not in attendance there from the opening, I do not feel entitled to more than one month’s salary for same, and beg leave to enclose £2 10s back from many thanks. – Believe me, yours faithfully.

T. LONG, Protestant Chaplain

July 19, 1878


CROZIER – July 17, at 13, Ulsterville-avenue, Belfast, the wife of the Rev. John B. Crozier, M.A., of a son.

MORROW – July 15, at Rockville, Ballyjamesduff the wife of John Morrow, of a daughter.


BRINNAN and DOBSON – July 17, in Cavan Church, by the Ven. The Archdeacon of Kilmore, Francis, second son of Mr. John Brinnon, of Drumgallon, to Matilda Elizabeth, sixth daughter of the late John Dobson, Esq., Poles, Cavan.

HILLES and WILLIAMS – July 17, at St. Agatha’s Church, James Hilles, J.P., Mayo, to Adelaide, C. L. Williams, daughter of the late James Williams, Esq., M.D., Belturbet.

SIMPSON and HUBBERSTY – July 11th, at Christ Church, Burbage, Buxton, by the Rev. J. G. H. STAMPER, assisted by the Rev. E. B. MICHAELSON, Hugh K. SIMPSON, J.P., the Vale, Bailieboro’, to Mary M., daughter of the Rev. N. Hubbersty, Eastwell Hall, Melton, Mobray.


GIBSON – April 29, William F. Gibson, Esq., Registrar of the Royal Mint, Sydney, New South Wales, son of the late Rev. Henby Gibson, Vicar of Killinagh, County Cavan.

SMITH – July 10, at Brasted Vicarage, Seven Oaks (the residence of Rev. F. S. FITZGERALD), James Stuart, son of late William Smith, Esq., J.P., Drumhell, Ballynagh, aged 27 years.

Lord Granville GORDON, who is to marry Miss ROE, daughter of Mr. Henry Roe, of Dublin, is the youngest brother of the Marquis of Huntly. He is now twenty-two years of age, and is a sub-lieutenant of the Longford Militia. The Marquis himself is married; his next brother, Lord Douglas William Cope Gordon, is not; but Lord Esme Stuart Gordon, who also is older than Lord Granville, has a wife; and all there (six) lives stand between Miss Roe’s chance of being a Marchioness.

Another marriage that has been arranged this season is that of the Hon. Mary Francis DE ROS, only child of Lord De Ros, of Old Court, Strangford, County Down, to the Honourable Anthony DAWSON, youngest son of Lord DARTERY. He entered the 98th Foot as a sub-lieutenant in 1876, but exchanged the same year into the Coldsteam (sp?) Guards. Lord Dartney’s daughter is Countess of Ilchester, but of his four sons, the Hon. C. Anthony will be the first to undertake matrimony.


At Newry Quarter Sessions on Friday, Alex. GOLLIN appealed against the decision of the magistrates at the Petty Session in Killkeel fining him £2 for having neglected to register his marriage. Gollin contended that the marriage was invalid in (sic) the ground that he was of a different religious persuasion from the woman he was alleged to have married, and that he was under the influence of liquor at the time the ceremony was performed. Robert JOHNSTON, Esq., Q.C., the County Court Judge, in dismissing the appeal, said he was satisfied that Gollin was sober at the time of the wedding, and that the priest would not have married the man at all had he been intoxicated.


Lifford, Thursday.

Applications under the Peace Preservation Act were made to the grand jury of Donegall (sic) today for compensation to the relatives of John William MAKIN, clerk, and Charles BUCHANAN, driver, who were murdered at the same time as the Earl. The grand jury awarded £200 to the mother of Makin, and £200 to the father of Buchanan, both sums to be levied off the Leitrim estate in Donegal. The four prisoners charged with the triple murder will not be tried at the Donegall (six) assizes now commencing; but at the winter assizes.

THE MURDER OF LORD LEITRIM. – On a consultation held on Friday, the Law Officers of the Crown resolved to apply for an adjournment until next assizes of the trial of the men charged with being concerned in the murder of the late Lord Leitrim. The case was to have been tried at the approaching assizes in Lifford.


Dublin, Monday.

At the Dublin Police Court Monday, a young, respectably-dressed girl, aged 19 years, named Bridget KING, was charged with having attempted to commit suicide by taking a dose of phosphorus, used for rat poison. She went into a public-house, and called for a bottle of porter, into which she poured some phosphoric rat poison. She then drank all off, and immediately became overcome. Her eyes rolled in her head, and the head fell down. She was brought to hospital where she several times took fits. She was senseless for several hours, and when she came to, the stomach-pump was used. She was in hospital for a fortnight, and in her pocket was found a bottle half-full of phosphoric rat poison. The magistrate regretted to see the girl in such a position, as he thought she had reformed from the bad life she was leading and had gone back to her respectable friends. She was committed for trial.

THE MICROPHONE. – Mr. L. J. CROSSLEY, of Halifax, has had the new and wonderful invention of the microphone placed in the pulpit of Dr. MELLOR’s chapel, and connected with his residence, a mile from the town, by means of a telegraphic wire. The whole of the service has been heard, except a few words rendered indistinct by the preacher disturbing the microphone.


At the Drogheda Assizes, on Monday, before Mr. Justice LAWSON, Henry ROGERS and Alfred RAFFERTY were charged with having obtained by means of false representations various sums of money, amounting in the whole to £1 11s 9d, from Mrs. Emily O’BRIEN, of Marsh, Drogheda. The prisoners were two of a gang of London swindlers, professing themselves to be money lenders. Mrs. O’Brien, a provision dealer in Drogheda, in the month of December last, saw their advertisement in the Freeman’s Journal. She entered into a correspondence, the result of which was the offer on her part to accept a loan of £20, and the remitting of £1 11s 9d to defray the expense of negotiating the loan. Mrs. O’Brien never got her £20. Detective-sergeants LITTLECHILD and MORGAN, of Scotland Yard, deposed to the arrest of the prisoners. For many years the prisoners and their gang had been well known to the police. The jury convicted the prisoners, who were sentenced to five years’ penal servitude.


The members of the society in the adjoining districts held the annual meeting on Friday in a field in the immediate neighbourhood above town, which was kindly placed at their disposal for the occasion by the proprietor, Mr. R. LEVINGSTONE. The assemblage was large and imposing; the gentry and clergy of the locality were fairly represented, and the proceedings were characterized by the utmost order and decorum. No disturbance was anticipated, on account of the friendly relations that exist between the Protestant and Roman Catholic populations in the country; and neither during the procession which passed through the town of Belturbet to place of meeting, nor on the march homewards, was any molestation attempted, or the slightest ill-will shown. The county grand master, Robert JOHNSTONE, Esq., J.P., presided. Resolutions were spoken to by the Rev. O. S. KELLET, Ballyconnell; Rev. Mr. JACKSON, jun., Belturbet; Rev. William CREEK, Kildallon; Rev. Mr. FUSSELL, Swanlinbar; by the Rev. Mr. RAWLINS, Templeport; A. PARKE, Esq., G.M., county Leitrim; H. W. THOMSON, Esq., M.D., Belturbet; and J. BERRY, Esq., jun. Carrighill.


According to the returns obtained by the Royal Irish Constabulary and the Metropolitan Police who act as enumerators at the several Irish seaports, the number of emigrants who left the port of Ireland during the quarter ended 31st March last, amounted to 7,578 – 4,186 males and 3,392 females – being 1,200 more than the number who emigrated during the corresponding quarter of 1877, but 2,879 under the average number in the first quarter of the ten years, 1868-77.



The Orangemen of this District assembled at Derrylane at 10 a.m., from thence they marched round by Bruce Hill and through Coronea to a field belonging to J. D. GRIER, Esq., Here they rested on the pleasant grass for some hours. – During the interval the Revds. J. J. EGAN of Derrylane and W. NOBLETT of Arva gave suitable addresses. The day was fine and various Bands turned out in all their gala attire and exhibited their musical talents to the delight of the multitudes. The entire assemblage could not be much under 4,000. The following Lodges were present:- 1875, 1418, 709, 720, 1552, 1307, 926, 639, 308, 1579, 609, 14 and 1691. The Arva Brass Band, and the Corlespratten Flute Band were the most conspicuous and attracted the greatest attention. After a few hours pleasant recreation, the various Lodges, preceeded (sic) by their Banners began to move from the field, each wending its way to the usual place of rendezvous, highly delighted with the day’s recreation.


At 10:30 a.m., about twenty Lodges (forming the Cavan District), passed through this town on their way to Ballyhaise. They were preceded by bands and banners, and followed by numerous cars.

The Brethren of the Cootehill District had previously arranged to hold their festival of commemoration of the Battle of the Boyne, at Newbliss, the seat of A. A. Murray KER, Esq., J.P., where they had been invited to attend, but in obedience to the call of the County Grand Lodge, they cancelled this arrangement, and decided to visit the Brethren of Cavan District at Ballyhaise, where there was a large and respectable meetings. For this purpose Lodges 1518, headed by Brother William WALSH, and 451, by Brother George GARDINER, were the first to start on this long journey. It being Market-day in Cootehill, the Lodges adjacent did not assemble until late in the day, and then spent the evening in their Lodge Rooms. – The two lodges named were soon joined in their progress to Ballyhaise by Lodges 501, 343, 1316, 276, 1724, 1729, and 1730, of this District, and by 611, 1580, and 1156 of Cavan. On arriving at Drumliff Big Tree they were met by the remaining part of the Cavan Lodges, and escorted to the field past the beautiful house of John W. HUMPHRIES, Esq., at about two o’clock, p.m.

The chair was occupied by Brother William CALDWELL, Drumsheel House, and addresses were delivered by Rev. M. PHILLIPS, - GLOSTER, Esq., and the Rev. Mr. M’GOWAN, Belturbet.

A Resolution was passed expressing confidence in Lord Beaconsfield, the meeting came to a close in the usual way, each District taking the most direct road to its own Lodge Room; the members of Cootehill District, passed through Belnacargey and Rathkenny Demesne, and arrived at Ashfield at 8 o’clock, p.m.

Every thing passed off well in this District.


With much pleasure and satisfaction, we chronicle the fact, that the celebration on last Friday, of this loyal anniversary throughout this County, was unmarred by any violation of the peace or any disturbance of social order. There were processions in several places; but the proceedings passed over quietly and with the utmost good feeling. While this state of things is creditable to the moderation and sobriety of the Orangemen, it is no less creditable to the self-restraint and good feeling of the Roman Catholic portion of the population. We hope this policy of mutual forbearance and good-will may continue to be maintained and cultivated through this county. There is no good reason why it should not be so; and that it has been so this year is all the more gratifying because it is the happy continuance of a condition of things which has existed for several years past.


A sad case of stabbing has occurred in connection with the twelfth celebration. It is right to say, however, this was not the result of party feeling, though it occurred while two opposing mobs were in collision. It appears that almost half-past eight o’clock on Friday evening, while the Orangemen of Portglenone were returning to that village, and when about two miles distant from it, they met with some of what are known as the Roman Catholic party, and a fight ensued. In the course of the scuffle one of the Orange processionists named KIDD was stabbed two or three times in the region of the heart by another of his own party. It is said there had been a dispute of old standing between Kidd and his assistant, arising from jealousy, and that the latter took advantage of the confusion on this occasion to wound his unfortunate rival. Kidd died within two or three minutes after being stabbed. His body was afterwards removed to a public-house in Portglenone, where it lay on Saturday. The police have made one arrest in connection with the affair.

Baron DOWSE (sp), in opening the Armagh Assizes on Saturday, referred to party affrays, and said his opinion was that all processions ought to be put down. Ireland was the only place where the civil wars were commemorated, and the sooner the celebrations were put a stop to the better. Subsequently, before passing sentence on two young men found guilty of riot, his lordship asked the governor of the gaol whether the new prison rules were in force within it, and whether the 24th rule – which provided that where the sentence exceeded a month the prisoner should lie on a plank bed for a month, and where the sentence was for a less period than a month then he should be on the plank bed for the entire time he was in gaol – really meant that the prisoners were to sleep in their clothes for a month; and, both questions having been answered in the affirmative, he said he would not sentence these young men to more than one month’s imprisonment, for it was nothing short of torture.

July 26, 1878


GRAHAM – July 21, at Ashfield, Elizabeth, wife of Mr. Charles Graham, aged 70 years.

WILSON – July 12, died at his residence, Bann Terrace, Banbridge, after a brief illness, the Rev. Robert Wilson, for nearly half a century a zealous and faithful minister of the Primitive Wesleyan Methodist Society, in the 76th year of his age. “Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright; for the end of that man is peace.” Psalms, xxxvii.. 37.


A man named William M’CONNELL was accidentally killed on Monday last, near Cootehill. From the evidence given at the inquest it appeared he drew a horse and cart across a steep incline for the purpose of building a load of hay. When tying the load on the low side, the horse, cart, and hay fell over on him. When extricated he was dead. He was 50 years of age, and left a wife and family.


On Friday last, the 10th inst., a most successful feast and fete was given to the children attending these schools by the Lord Bishop of the Diocese and the Hon. Mrs. DARLEY.

The children met at two o’clock in the Old Cathedral, where they were treated to an abundant supply of tea and cake, to which, hot though the day was, they did ample justice.

Proceedings commenced by the singing of “Onward Christian Soldiers,” and prayer by Rev. E. F. CAMPBELL, Curate of Kilmore, after which the tea and buns were distributed by the following ladies, to whose exertions the success of the day is due. Mrs. ORME, Longford, the Hon. Misses PLUNKET, the misses PLUNKET, the Misses ROE, and Miss WHALLEY.

At three o’clock all adjourned to the grounds of Kilmore House, where an extensive programme of games and comicalities was gone through, and which the young people seemed thoroughly to enjoy.

At half-past six o’clock all assembled round the hall-door, when prizes were given, by Miss Flora Plunket to those Gladiators and Gladiatresses who had distinguished themselves in the preceding contests.

After a few words from Rev. W. H. STONE, ringing cheers of thanks were given for the Bishop and Hon. Mrs. Darley, to which the Bishop replied in suitable terms. The hymn, “Shall we gather at the River,” was then sung; more buns distributed, and the youngsters disappeared with lingering and regretful steps.

During the day the following guests were entertained at Kilmore House:- Dowager Lady Plunket, Hon. Misses Plunkett, Rev. A. and Mrs. Orme, Lady Rachel SAUNDERSON, Hon. Misses COLBORNE, Archdeacon of Kilmore and Mrs. SHONE, , Rev. W. H. HUTCHINSON and Mrs. Hutchinson, Rev. W. H. Stone and Mrs. Stone, Rev. J. T. ARCHER, Rev. C. ARCHER, Rev. J. C. MARTIN and Miss Martin, Rev. E. POTTERTON, Mrs. And Miss Potterton, Rev. E. F. CAMPBELL, Mrs. Winter SAUNDRSON, Miss Alexander, ---FORBES, Esq., Mrs. Forbes, Colonel STUBBS, the Misses Roe, Miss Whalley, Mrs. LINDSAY and Party, the Misses STAFFORD, John HENRY, Esq., Mrs. DEVERELL and Party, Mrs. THOMPSON, Mrs. GOSSELIN, Mrs. Leslie MEASE, the Misses Prior MOORE, Mrs. And Miss Archer, Mrs. WANN and Party, Mrs. MALCOMSON, Mr. Moore, Miss ARMSTRONG, James GLSTER, Esq., Mrs. Gloster, The Misses SYMESES, and Mrs. Mark MOORE.


The examination and distribution of prizes to these schools for diligence and attendance was held in the Old Cathedral Kilmore on Thursday the 18th inst. The examination was conducted by Rev. A. and Mrs. ORME, Rev. W. H. and Mrs. STONE, and Rev. E. F. CAMPBELL. A great deal of proficiency and satisfactory improvement in Scriptural knowledge was displayed by almost all the pupils, and in consequence a large number of prizes were given, including Bibles, Hymn Books, and Story Books.


The annual meeting of the Cavan Auxiliary of the Ulster Society for promoting the Education of the deaf, and dumb, and the blind, will be held (D.V.) in the Protestant Hall, Cavan, on Tuesday evening the 29th inst., at 7 o’clock, the Rev. Robert KNOX, rector of Saintfield, will attend as a deputation; two of the Pupils of the Institution will be present.


The annual Sunday school fete took place at Killashee Rectory on Friday, the memorable 12tgh, and was a great success. The day was threatening up to twelve o’clock, but at that hour the bright sunshine broke forth. Over sixty of the clergy and gentry of the county met for luncheon at two o’clock in the large diningroom of the fine old rectory. The children attended in large numbers, and their comforts were well looked after. At three o’clock all were seated and sumptuously served by many willing hands on the lawn opposite Templeton House. Shortly afterwards the Band of hope organized by Mr. HANLON played an admirable selection of popular tunes, hymns, and choruses, sided by pianoforte and harmonium selections by Mrs. Hanlon and Miss PARKER. Large numbers of the parents and friends of the young people attended, many of whom heartily joined in the various games and plays, consisting of trapeze, lawn tennis, swings, flat races &c. In the course of the evening, the rector, Dr. Hanlon, delivered a short address, in which he said that the beloved bishop of the diocese attended the first Sunday school entertainment after his appointment to the parish, and that his lordship wrote to express his regret that he could not attend on the present occasion. Dr. Hanlon also alluded in very complimentary terms to the Sunday school examination. His remarks were followed by hearty cheers for the bishop and Dr. POTTERTON. Dr. and Mrs. Hanlon have been most successful in organizing a temperance society, as also an efficient choir. In the latter Mrs. Hanlon is most indefatigable.




Mary Anne PICKENS summoned Mr. John HUTCHINSON, Sub-Inspector of Police, for assaulting her on the night of the 15th inst.

Complainant is about 16 years of age; was in St. Joseph’s Industrial School for four years; and lived as servant with Mr. DOHERTY, Market-square, where defendant lodged.

Mr. ARMSTRONG appeared for defendant.

Mr. Armstrong suggested that the witnesses on both sides leave the court.

Mary Anne Pickens was sworn. She said she was in Mr. Doherty’s employment on Monday, the 15th inst.; was going to bed about half-past ten, when there came a knock to the hall door; Mr. Doherty went to see who was there; he left the door open and went to bed; she slept in the kitchen; she did not like to go to bed with the hall door open; defendant came in between 10 and 11 o’clock; put his hand on her face, asked her for a kiss; and promised her a new pair of boots if she would go to sleep with him in his bedroom; she shouted but no one came to her; she then left the house to tell her father, who lives in the half-acre; when she went part of the way she met a crowd and turned back to Mr. Doherty’s; Mr. Doherty met her at the door asked her how dare she go home to tell her father, and threatened to put a stone round her neck and throw her into the river.

To Mr. Babington – Mr. Doherty, Mrs. Doherty, and Mrs. Ballack were in bed when defendant came in; she was going to shut the hall door at the time the defendant met her; defendant partly undressed himself in her presence; she told him she would tell her father.

To Mr. Armstrong – She had been near a week in Mr. Doherty’s employment; had seen defendant only once before the occurrence when he asked her if the child she had in her arms was Mrs. Ballack’s; Mr. Doherty’s family consists of himself, wife, and married daughter; the house is very small; frequently seen people standing about the doors and pump at night; saw none on the night of the assault; she sleeps in the kitchen; went to bed on other nights about 10:30; was assaulted between 11 and 12; heard the clock strike 11 before he came in and 12 shortly afterwards; she was engaged washing rubbers, &c., between 10:30 and the time defendant came in; when he asked the kiss he had his arm around her; she said, “what would make me give you a kiss”; he then said “I’ll tell you what I’ll give you. I’ll give you a new pair of boots if you come up to my bedroom and sleep with me;” he tried to bring her against her will to his room; she pushed his hand away from her; she was aware that Mr. Doherty, his wife and daughter were in the house at the time; she called out for help, but no one came.

To Mr. Thompson – I called twice before going for my father.

To Mr. Armstrong – I met a crowd at the Egg Market and did not go to my father’s; the crowd consisted of 5 or 6 boys; they said nothing to me; when I came back Mr. Doherty scolded me and threatened to drown me; told her mistress next day; saw her father down street next day and told him what happened; her father is out of employment for last fortnight, - her father brought her to Mr. Thompson.

Mr. Thompson – I accidentally met them in Wesley Street.

To Mr. Thompson – I would not know the time by looking at a clock; I was four years in St. Joseph’s Industrial School.

To Mr. Armstrong – the hall door was open when it occurred.

Mr. Doherty was produced for the defence. (sic) He said defendant lodged with him for the last 4 months; on the night in question he was sitting in his parlour watching “run-away knocks,” when defendant and another gentleman came to the door; they bid other “good night,” and defendant came in, lit his candle, and went up stairs to his bed-room; defendant did not leave his room until morning; impossible that what complainant described could have occurred without his knowledge; witness heard no noise; he did not threaten to throw complainant in the river; when she came in he scolded her for leaving his house and she said she had been sitting on a door step looking at a dance.

To Mr. Babington – I did not hear her going out.

Mr. Armstrong – She must have went out before defendant came in.

Mrs. Doherty heard the “run-away knocks” at the door, saw her husband, go down stairs to try to catch parties; heard defendant come in and go up stairs to his bedroom and shut the door; complainant’s story is impossible; witness did not tell her to wash rubbers that night; neither did she see any washing after the next day; their house is a small one and she would hear the least noise; defendant did not leave his room until next morning.

Their Worships dismissed the case on the merits.

James GALLIGAN was charged with assaulting a man named Reilly.


At the Donegal Assizes on Saturday an application was made on behalf of the Crown to postpone the trial of the two M’GRENAHANS and Michael HERAGHTY for the murder of Lord Leitrim and his clerk and driver to the next assizes. The application was based on the affidavit of the county inspector of constabulary, who said that within the last three weeks he had received material information against the prisoners, which would be forthcoming at the next assizes. The prisoner’s counsel resisted the application, contending that it was only a pretext for changing the venue, but Mr. Baron FITZGERALD decided on granting it. Another prisoner, Anthony M’GRENAHAN, against who the Crown had not sent up a bill, was liberated on bail.


Paris, Tuesday Evening.

The Temps this evening announces that Marshal MacMAHON has signed a decree, in accordance with which the Minister of Public Instruction will henceforth appoint, at the instance of the Archbishop of Paris, the Superior of the Irish College in Paris. The Archbishop will also take the initiative in proposing professors and stewards for nomination to the college. It is further provided that the selection of scholars shall be confirmed by the Minister according to the advice of the Archbishop.

County Cavan Newspaper Transcription Project

Ireland Home Page
County Cavan

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.