Cavan Weekly News
Published in Cavan, county Cavan

August 2, 1878


A farmer named Thomas REILLY, residing in Drumlomman, died in Cavan Infirmary from the effects of injuries inflicted on him by a bull.

CAVAN BAND OF HOPE. – On Monday last Archdeacon and Mrs. SHONE entertained the members of the Cavan Band of Hope to a plentiful supply of tea and cake, at the College grounds. During the evening the children, accompanied by the choir, sang several hymns, and amused themselves at different games.

Business will be resumed, please God, on the 5th – Monday.
The punctual attendance of the pupils is earnestly requested.
Wm. Prior MOORE
July 31, 1878

(Before W. BABINGTON, L. T. B. SAUNDERSON, and J. FAY, Esqrs.)

Sub-Constable McCarn (sp) summoned Michael CONNELL for permitting his pig to wander on the public road.
Fined 6d and costs.

The Constabulary charged Patt SMITH and Thos LITTLE with drunkenness.
They were fined 4s each and costs.

Acting-Constable ATWELL summoned Pat BRADY for having his licensed house open at prohibited hours.

Margaret BEATHEM (sp) summoned Henry REHILL for trespass of cattle.
Fined 2s 6d and costs.

Sub-Constable LYNCH charged John SMITH with being drunk while in charge of a horse.
Fined 5s and costs.

Founded 1878.


The Rifle Club meetings to come off sometime in Autumn.
The Ballyhaise stakes presented by John W. HUMPHREYS, Esq.
The Dromkeen stakes presented by Llewellyn SAUNDERSON, Esq.; and club matches, &c., &c., will be shot for at said meetings.

Club practice every Wednesday and Saturday from 12:30 p.m. Members who intend shooting on practice days are requested to apply at Dromkeen House, not later than 1 p.m., for the club marker and bugler, who will be in attendance up to that hour.

Hon. Secretary.


Lost, on 4th July, on road between Tullyvin and Castleterra cross, a black bag, containing certain documents (with other articles) which identifies it with the owner.

Anyone bringing same to Editor of the “Cavan Weekly News,” or Mr. GOOD, of Tullyvin Endowed School, will receive the above reward.


Wanted a number of first-class Domestic Servants to proceed on Free Passages to SOUTH AUSTRALIA, per the “Hesperus,” to sail on the 5th of August. Apply immediately to John FEGAN, 19, Main-street, Cavan.


TO BE SOLD, a first-class Trichord Cottage Pianoforte in Walnut case, by Kirkman, cost 50 gns., only 2 years in use.

Apply to
Auctioneer, Cavan.

Wanted, a respectable BOY as apprentice to the Watch and Clockmaking business.
Apply to
Watchmaker and Jeweller,
70, Main-street Cavan.

WANTED a respectable young LAD 15 or 16 years of age, as Apprentice to the General Drapery and Fancy businesss. Apply to JOHN J. MEE, Killeshandra.


To The Editor of the Cavan Weekly News.

Sir. – The examinations for the current year, in connection with the Kilmore Sunday-school union were held last week. As they are an object of interest to the majority of parishes in the diocese, I hasten to mention a few statistics as to numbers, &c., and to give you the names of the successful competitors, which I trust you will have the goodness to publish for the satisfaction of their friends.

The examiners were the Archdeacon of Kilmore, the Revs. Messrs. CREEK, HUTCHSINON, KNOX, HOPE, BECRE, ROBINSON, FUSSELL, and C. ARCHER. The bishop was present throughout the whole of the examinations in Cavan and Ballyconnell. He delivered a most appropriate address in both those places, and distributed the prizes. This important part of the proceedings was able and happily discharged by the Dean in Manorhamilton. To meet an objection made on a former occasion, it was arranged this year the questions on the various subjects, should be previously prepared by those who had no pupils of their own present, and they were only placed in the examiners hands a short time before the examination. The persons conducting the examinations were thus saved from the possibility of unconscious or accidental partiality toward their own pupils, as the questions were not of their own framing. The number of pupils attending the examinations were: Cavan, 125, Ballyconnell, 63; Manorhamilton, 44; total, 232.

The answering was very satisfactory, the highest marks in first class being in Cavan, 82 per cent.; in Ballyconnel, 78 per cent.; in Manorhamilton, 75 per cent.

William REID, of Cavan, Lucy ARMSTRONG, of Coghildrum, obtained still higher marks than these, but each having won the first prize on a former occasion, they could not be permitted to do so again. They will, however, receive a special certificate from the Bishop, bearing testimony to their distinguished answering.

Yours, &c.,
A. G. ELLIOTT, Hon. Sec.

CAVAN – First Class.
First Prize, £3 – Isabella RAMSAY, Cavan.
Second “ £2 – Fanny REILLY, Derrylane.

Harriett MOORE, Kill
Phoebe MORROW, Derrylane
Mary Christina MOORE, Cavan
Samuel ROUNDTREE, Kill
Anna ADAMS, Kill
Richard WILTON, Cavan
Mary A. HAMILTON, Cavan
James VOGAN, Cootehill
George SCOTT, Derrylane

Anna M. ELLIOTT, Virginia
Eliza HEWITT, Cavan
Maria CLARKE, Killenkere

First Prize, £2 ) Wm. John FEGAN, Cavan
Second “ £1 ) £3 Frances ADAMS, Kill
(Prizes divided, both being equal. Taken in Books.)

Jones SMYTH, Caven
Maria ARMSTRONG, Billis
George RAMSAY, Cavan
Maria DANIEL, Cavan
M. A. O’NEILL, Cavan
Jlacey ADAMS, Kill
Phoebe MULLIGAN, Billis
Sarah REILLY, Derrylane
William SMYTH, Cavan
Emily LESLIE, Cootehill

Albert SIXSMITH, Cavan
John HAMILTON, Cavan
Alice CHINNERY, Cavan
Mary J. GUMLEY, Laragh

First Prize, £1 – Taken in books; divided between, being equal) Thos. M’FADDIN, Cootehill; Mary ROUNDTREE, Kill
Second Prize, 10s – Walter ROUNDTREE, Cootehill
Third “ 10s – Sarah MOORE, Kill

John RAMSAY, Cavan
John MULLIGAN, Billis
Wm. DANCY, Killenkere
Letitia ROUNDTREE, Kill
Edward SMITH, Kill
George ADAMS, Kill
Sarah M’ILWAIN, Billis
Adelaide LESLIE, Cootehill
Lizzie Moore, KILL
Robert MONTGOMERY, Derryheen
Thomas SIXSMITH, Cavan

First Prize, £3 – Phoebe CLARKE, Kinawley
Second “ £2 – Lizzie JOHNSTONE, Oughtera

Elizabeth WIDDIS, Killeshandra
Sara SURPLUS, Kinawley
Eliza BENNETT, Kildellon
William JOHNSTON, Kildallon

Mary A. JOHNSTON, Oughtera
William MORTON, Killeshandra
Margaret WALLACE

First Prize, £2 – Isabella SMITH, Killeshandra
Second “ £1 – (Taken in books) Agatha HEARN, Templeport

George M’LENIGHAN, Oughtera
Charles M’DOWALL, Killeshandra
Elizabeth LEECH, Killeshandra
Jane FOSTER, Kinawley
Benjamin JOHNSTON, Oughtera
Blaney SCOTT, Killeshandra
George H. SHERIDAN, Killeshandra
Elizabeth FOSTER, Kinawley
Margaret BURNESS, Kinawley

David WILSON, Killeshandra
Herbert MORTON, Kinawley

First Prize, £1 – (Silver Medal) Adela HEARN, Templeport
Second “ 10s – (Taken in Books) Mary CLIFFORD, Kidallon
Third “ 10s – George KILBANE, Temploeport

Isabella CREEK, Kildallon
Mary A. KILBANE, Templeport
James M’ENTEE, Killeshandra

Martha REDMOND, Killeshandra
Mary ARMSTRONG, Kildallon

MANORHAMILTON – First Class – Special Prizes.
First Prize, £3 – William WALLACE, Rossinver
Second “ £2 – Margaret CLARKE, Killasnett

William ROBINSON, Drumlease
Mary LITTLE, Dowra
Lizzie ROBINSON, Drumlease

Rebecca SHARPE, Killesnett
William CUMMINS, Drumlease

First Prize, £2 – Mary Jane IRWIN, Rossinver
Second “ £1 – John LONGMORE, Drumlease

James M’GARAHAN, Drumlease
Thomas IRWINE, Rossinver
Eliza Jane NIXON, Manorhamilton

William HEISLIP, Rossinver
George BELFORD, Dowra
Lewis WALLACE, Rossinver
Richard TEMPLETON, Drumlease
Mary J. JOHNSTON, Rossinver

First Prize, £1 – Luke CUMMINS, Drumlease
Second “ 10s (Taken in Books) Dorinda FLETCHER, Killasnett
Third “ 10s – Samuel LONGMORE, Drumlease

Eliza MOFFITT, Dowra
James JOHNSTONE, Rossinver
Dora GILMORE, Drumlease
Samuel BOWERS, Rossinver

Ellen LILPSETT, Rossinver
Sara CARSON, Ballyameehan

August 9, 1878


TURVILLE and LISGAR – August 3, in Paris, first before the British Consul, and afterwards in the Madelaine Roman Catholic Cathedral, Sir Francis Fortescue Turville, K.C.M.G., of Bosworth Hall, Leicestershire, to the Lady Lisgar, Bailieborough.

Sir John ENNIS, Bart., D.L., formerly M.P. for Athlone, Governor the Bank of Ireland, and Chairman of the Midland Great Western Railway died yesterday morning at a very advanced age at his residence in Merrion-square, Dublin.

(Excerpt) A few days since an old man named Charles M’CONNELL, 96 years of age, was drowned while bathing at Innisfree Island, on the north-west coast of Donegal. Deceased went into bathe as usual, and as the water was shallow at the time, it is thought he took a fainting fit, to which he was subject, and no person being near, the poor old man was lost. The body was discovered a few hours after floating about with the surf.- There was no inquest held.


On Saturday last the children attending St. John’s Sunday School assembled, 67 in number, along with their teachers, in the picturesque little Parish Church, to join in prayer and praise to God before engaging in their annual Examinations.

The Rev. T. G. J. PHILLIPS, M.A., the Rev. T. JACKSON, M.A., the Rev. D. DIGBY, LL.D., Mr.TOUCHBURNE, Mr. FORSTER, and Miss TOUCHBURNE took part in the examinations under the superintendence of the Rev. M. N. KEARNEY, M.A., Incumbent. After the examinations concluded all marked two and two, preceded by the Young Men’s Christian Association Band, one member carrying a large banner bearing the words St. John’s Sunday School, to a large field kindly lent for the occasion by Samuel SANDERSON, Esq., D.L.

Various games and races were engaged in to the great enjoyment of the young people, and after a successful Balloon ascent the children repaired to the Cloverhill National School-house, where they partook heartily of tea and cake kindly provided for them by Mr. and Mrs. KEARNEY. At a late hour all returned home, having enjoyed much their pleasant afternoon.

Among those present were Rev. T. G. J. PHILLIPS, the Rev. J. and Mrs. JACKSON, Rev. D. and Mrs. DIGBY, Rev. M. N. and Mrs. Kearney, S. SANDERSON, Esq., and Mrs. Sanderson, Mrs. WALLER and the Misses Waller.


To the Editor of the Cavan Weekly News.

Sir, - I beg to correct two very slight errata in the Rev. Mr. ELLIOTT’s excellent report of the recent Sunday-school examinations – viz., that Lucy ARMSTRONG, who is to receive a special certificate from the Bishop for her excellent answering at the Ballyconnell examination, should have been entered as coming from Drumcoghill Sunday-school, instead of from Coghildrum, as it appeared in your paper. And that Charles M’DOWALL, of Killeshandra, should have been “bracketed” with George M’LENIGHAN, of Oughtera, as first of the supplemental prizes, in the second class, at Ballyconnell, their marks being exactly the same.

Yours truly,
A correspondent.

To the Editor of the Cavan Weekly News.

Sir, - Amongst the list of examiners I should have given you the name of the Rev. J. C. MARTIN who kindly helped us at Ballyconnell, traveled to Manorhamilton and examined there also.

In justice to all the examiners, I ought to say that the expenses of the journey were borne by themselves. Considering that each of them is also a subscriber to our fund, this shows no slight interest in the cause of religious education amongst the clergy of Kilmore.

Truly yours,
Castleaghan Glebe,
August 8, 1878.

P.S. – I give below the certificates in third class at Cavan, which I omitted sending you last week:-

Matthew ROE, Billisses
Daisy GOSSELIN, Cavan
Margaret MORETON, Derrylane
Joseph MONTGOMERY, Derryheen
Robert SCARLET, do
Isabella SMITH, Kill
William DANIEL, Cavan
Robert HAMILTON, do
Adam DEANE, Kill
Thos DEANE, do
Frederick GOOD, do
Thomas STUART, Denn
Thomas M’FADDEN, Cootehill.

At the Dublin Commission the Grand Jury found a true bill in the criminal information case of LEFROY v. BURNSIDE, proprietor of Saunders’ Irish Daily News.

THE LUNAR ECLIPSE on August 12. – The eclipse of the moon on August 12 is the only one that will be wholly visible in this country until the year 1884; first contact with the earth’s dark shadow at 10h. 42m.; the middle of the eclipse at 12h. 8m., magnitude 0.59, and last contact at 13h. 34m. On October 4, 1884, there will be a total eclipse of the moon, the middle near 10 p.m., and the passage through the shadow nearly central. – Nature.

The resident population of the United Kingdom in the middle of 1878 is estimated at 33,881,966; that of England and Wales at 24,854,397; of Ireland at 5,433,640; and of Scotland at 3,593.929.


Sub-Constables Sherwood and Woods summoned John BRADY and James REILLY for permitting their cattle to wander on the public road.
Brady was fined 2s 6d and Reilly 6d.

Constable GILLIARD summoned James DOLAN for drunkenness – for which he was fined 5s and costs; and Constable Dolan preferred a charge of fighting against him and Andrew KANE.
John STRONG proved that Dolan commenced the affray by assaulting Kane without any provocation.
Dolan was sent to gaol for a week, and the charge against Kane dismissed.

Acting Constable ATWOOD summoned Mr. Patrick MARRON for having his licensed public-house open at 11:40 p.m., on the night of the 29th July, and Mr. Daniel O’REILLY for being in Mr. Marron’s during prohibited hours.

The Constable said that having found Mr. Marron’s door laid-to, he put his hand to it and it flew open; upon entering he found Mr. O’Reilly with a glass containing some liquor before him.

Mr. Marron said Mr. O’Reilly was with him on private business when the constable came in; neither Mr. O’Reilly nor anyone else had partaken of drink after ten o’clock; the glass with liquor was lying on the counter from before Mr. O’Reilly came in.

Mr. O’Reilly corroborated Mr. Marron.

Their Worships dismissed the complaint against Mr. O’Reilly, and inasmuch as Mr. Marron had his door only “laid-to” they fined him 10s and costs.

Pattt HOGAN, John MURPHY, and Hugh M’ANDREW, (three tailors) were sent to gaol for a week for being drunk and disorderly.

(Excerpt – Letter to the Cavan Union.)

GENTLEMEN. – I hope you will be good enough to allow me an increase of salary – you know my pay is very small, only £5 a year. I have to sit up every night to attend to the sick male patients. The £5 a year hardly keeps me in a cup of tea to keep my eyes open at night.

Your obedient servant,
Male Night Nurse, Infirmay (sic)
Cavan Union

Friday, August 16, 1878

Another Fenian prisoner, CLANCY, sentenced to penal servitude in 1867, is to be released immediately. This is the second released out of there mentioned by me recently. The assurance is repeated to me that the Government will release all the prisoners by degrees.


MEIKLE - August 9, at the residence of her father-in-law, Bellville House, Ballinagh, the wife of J. B. Meikle, Ulster Bank, Glenties, co Donegal, of a daughter.


SMITH-DOBSON - August 8, at Cavan Church, by the Venerable the Archdeacon of Kilmore, Robert, eldest son of James Smith, Esq., Cullighan, Ballyconnell, to Jane Anne, eighth and youngest daughter of the late John Dobson, Esq., Poles, Cavan.


GIBSON - August 10th, at Baillieborough, Edith Isabella, daughter of Thomas Gibson, aged 13 months.


William Arnott GOWING, Esq., one of the coroners for King's County, held an inquest a few days ago, at the Meelahans, near Tullamore, on the body of a man named Patrick FARRELL, who dropped dead on the previous evening. The evidence went to show that the deceased was at a dance, and, after taking part in a jig, sat down on a chair and expired. After hearing the doctor's evidence, the jury returned a verdict of death from disease of the heart. The deceased was nearly 70 years of age.

The Rev. George GILFILLAN, of Dundee, a well-known writer and lecturer, died at Brechin on Tuesday suddenly of disease of the heart.

Mr. HENRY, Town Clerk, of Dublin, died on Monday at Ballinasloe, of apoplexy, after a brief illness. He had been on vacation, and he was sailing only for a few days past. He had been a practising solicitor until 1864, when he was elected Town Clerk. During the fourteen years of his office he guided the Lord Mayor of the day in governing the Council and ruling points of order with remarkable ability, his advice as assessor to the Lord Mayor never being questioned. - Mail.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA. - A telegram just to hand announces the safe arrival at Adelaide on Wednesday last of Sir Wm. Jervois, Governor of South Australia. The Lusitania in which he sailed made the voyage in forty-two days.


On Sunday, Thomas REILLY alias Tommy the Lamb, dropped dead in his lodgings in College-street, Cavan, while in the act of preparing his breakfast. Deceased was about 80 years of age. Disease of the heart was the cause death.

On Wednesday, a man named COYLE, who was employed by Mr. Philip BRADY, Main-street, as a yardman, took suddenly ill while at his work, and died next morning. He was about 30 years of age and has left a wife and three children.


Intelligence from Lisdoonvarna announced the lamentable death of Mr. KEARNEY, Manager of the Limerick branch of the National Bank. He had gone to the Sanitorium to drink the water, which at first made him unwell, and he was ordered chloral to induce sleep. An attendant gave him an over-dose, which terminated fatally. Mr. Kearney was previously stationed in Killarney, from whence he was removed on promotion to Limerick. He was about fifty years of age, and leaves a wife and family of ten children. The event has caused great regret.


Limerick, Wednesday

A dreadful occurrence is reported from Kilonan, a small village about five miles from Limerick city. On Sunday night a small farmer named HEFFERAN and his wife retired to rest a little after sunset. The Hefferans are in rather humble circumstances, and they kept a small quantity of turf in their sleeping apartment, a room of very small proportions. Before going to sleep it would seem he flung a portion of the wick of the candle into the turf, which ignited. The result was dreadful. The smoke appears to have rendered the occupants of the room senseless. The flames soon spread to the other portions of the house, the whole building being soon in a blaze. Heffernan did not wake from the stupor until he was all burned and charred. He could but with the greatest difficulty drag himself from the house and when assistance reached him the building was completely burned down, and nothing left by which to recognize his wife but a few charred bones. His own life is quite despaired of, and at the inquest of the jury found that the death of the woman was caused accidentally.

SERIOUS QUARREL IN A FISHING SMACK. - Two fishermen named MURPHY and KINSELLA, employed in the fishing smack Geraldine, spent some hours drinking in Carlingford a few days ago, and when they went on board their boat they began to quarrel. It is alleged that Murphy struck and kicked Kinsella, and when down he jumped on his head and otherwise maltreated him. Kinsella vomited large quantities of blood, and appeared so weak that the magistrate attended to take his deposition. He however declined to give information as to the man who assaulted him. Murphy has absconded and is wanted by the police.

ACCIDENT - A sad accident occurred this (Friday) morning at the new Constabulary Barrack in course of erection in Arva. A scaffold gave way, and two men, named Hugh KILRONAN and John DEVON, who were engaged attending a slater, fell to the ground, a distance of twenty feet. They are dangerously injured.


The Visitation and Synod for Elphin will be held (d.v.) in Boyle, on Wednesday, September 11; for Ardagh, in Longford, on Thursday, September 12; and for Kilmore, in Cavan, on Friday, September 13.

The Lord Bishop held a Confirmation in Kinlough Church, for the parish of Rossinver, on last Wednesday, the 7th inst., when 26 young persons were confirmed. He preached in the same church for the Jews Society, on last Sunday, the 11th inst.

He has appointed, by lapse, the Rev. Edward BELL, A.M., incumbent of Killermagh, Diocese of Ossory, to the Incumbency of Killargue, Diocese of Kilmore.

THE FATAL GUN ACCIDENT NEAR LURGAN. - The young man HAIG who was wounded in the townland of Lismaine, near Lurgan, on Tuesday evening last, at the same time that his companion, John LYNASS, was killed, died on Thursday night from the effects of the injuries he sustained after lingering for two days in the greatest pain. He was 23 years of age, and resided with his parents, for whom much sympathy is felt in their bereavement. An inquest was held on the body of John Lynass, before Joseph DICKSON, Esq., coroner and a verdict of accidental death returned.


Portadown, Thursday night.

Very serious rioting broke out to-night at Portadown. Three Nationalists coming by the eight o'clock train were attacked by the mob, knocked down and left bleeding profusely in John-street. The crowd attacked the windows of the Catholic Church, the residence of the parish priest, and smashed the windows of several private houses belonging to Catholics and the doors and windows of the school.


Ottawa, Tuesday.

An orange procession was held in this city yesterday, and several fights occurred. The Union men scoured the streets in the evening, insulting the Orangemen, and the latter attacked them with pistols. At midnight the Orangemen marched through the principal streets, in all directions. They attacked the priest's house and demolished an hotel. At two o'clock this morning the police dispersed the rioters, many of whom were wounded. Six arrests were made.

(Before L. T. B. SAUNDERSON, Esq.)

John MUJLLIGAN summoned Mary REILLY, of Butlersbridge, for assaulting him.
Fined 5s anda costs.

Edward CAROLAN processed James McCABE for 7s 6d alleged to be due for carpenter work.
Decree granted.

John FINLAY summoned Patt M'ALOON for trespass of his jennet.
Fined 3s 6d and costs.

Sub-Constable ROBINSON summoned Phill OLWILL for leaving two horses and carts on the street without a person in charge.
Fined 2s and costs.

Sub-Constable CULLETON summoned Rose BRADY for permitting her ass to wander on the public road.
Fined 6d and costs.

Sub-Constable WOODS preferred a similar charge against William BRADY.
Fined 6d and costs.

Sub-Constable KAVANAGH summoned John BRADY for being drunk.
Fined 5s.

Sub-Constables CROSSAN and M'ENEANY summoned Michael BRADY, and Owen THOMPSON, for having unlicensed dogs in their possession.
Fined 5s each and costs, and ordered to take out licenses.

James COLE summoned George REILLY for 18s 5d alleged to be due for shop goods.

Adjourned for a week.


Londonderry, Monday.

The 189th anniversary of the "Relief of Derry" was celebrated to-day in the usual manner. The Apprentice Boys Clubs assembled at their Memorial Hall, Society-street, at eleven o'clock, a.m., and proceeded by way of Magazine-wall. Shipquay-street, and Bishop-street, to the Cathedral, to attend divine service there. They were joined by the contingents from Omagh, Newtownstewart and the surrounding districts, each having a band and banners. The procession was large. The Rev. Dr. SEYMOUR, Dean, preached an appropriate sermon. The church was filled in every part - The Clubs afterwards reformed and marched in procession over the usual route. A body of 100 of the Royal Irish Constabulary had been drafted in from the county Donegal stations, but their services were unnecessary, as there was no approach to a disturbance.

GUN LICENSES. - At the Athlone Petty Sessions, on Wednesday, R.M., a man named McKITTERICK was prosecuted for carrying a gun without license from the excise. Laurence COUNSELL, Esq., J.P., prosecuted, and in the course of his address said that an impression prevailed in Dublin and elsewhere that the Inland Revenue would not prosecute in these gun cases unless the defendants were persons who were in a position to pay the heavy fine provided by the Act of Parliament. He was there to state, on the part of the Excise authorities, that they would prosecute in every instance of the kind whether the defendants were persons in good circumstances or the reverse. The Constabulary had received instruction to detect in such cases. They could appear as witnesses although the information must be made by the Excise officers. The defendant was fined in the sum of £10, subsequently mitigated to £2 10s.

The sentence of death passed on Thomas PRICE, aged 64, at last Tyrone assizes for poisoning his wife, has been commuted to penal servitude for life.


The London correspondent of the Freeman's Journal says:- The long delayed return as to the deportation of poor of Irish nationality from England and Scotland for the last three years, which was ordered by the House in the second week of the session, on the motion of Mr. M'CARTHY DOWNING, has at last been issued. Wherever the number of years spent in toil in England has been ascertained the length of absence from Ireland is remarkable in the majority of instances. "About seven years," "about twelve years," "about seventeen years," are as frequent as four weeks or four months; and twenty, thirty, and forty years' records of residence crops up in every page. In Wales, one Denis MURPHY, 70 years of age, was deported to Skibbereen, which he must have left at least when he was 21, as he had spent the last 49 years in the principality. From Macclesfield an old man named CANNEN, aged 71 years, was sent to the South Dublin Union, although he had been thirty years in the country; and from Stockpart Michael O'GRADY, aged 48, was sent back to Westport, because he was unable to support himself, although he is admitted to have resided in England for 32 years. A man, whose age is unknown, was sent back to Dundalk from Sunderland, after 41 years residence. A man named HUNT, removed to Birr Union, left Ireland 40 years prior to his removal. Margaret DONNELLY, who left Cashel when she was 15 years old, was sent back there after 25 years in England; and a more extraordinary case of a similar nature, in the same union, Liverpool, is that of Mary COFFEY, thirty-three years old, twenty-seven of which were spent in England, and who has been sent back to Ardee, the town in which she was born. Where there are no means of ascertaining the union to which the erson is supposed to be chargeable in Ireland, a very summary mode of decision occasionally is come to. For instance, a woman named COURTENAY, who said she was born in a parish, a portion of which is in Lisburn and the other in Lurgan, was sent to Belfast Workhouse for the reason that it was the port nearest her destination. In a few cases, "Removed at his own request" figures in the return, but these are very few; and to counterbalance them the records of escapes on the journey are large, and show the antipathy of persons to return to their birthplace as paupers after a lengthened term of years at this side of the channel. There is a long line of such results from Liverpool, which reaps so many advantages from Irish labour, and where deportation to Ireland seems a favourite mode of reducing the rates. Out of nine cases of deportation from Birmingham three were residents for thirty years, and a fourth for fifty. So much for the centre of English Radicalism. The return contains a long correspondence with regard to the removals in Nottingham Union, which have met with a good deal of energetic protest. In the return for Scotland the same features present themselves, with the exception that most of the paupers are from the North of Ireland, and that some of the cases are exceptionally hard. Michael GREEN, aged 85, is set down as having left Ireland in 1811, and having since resided in England or Scotland. In Edinburgh, where there has been a wholesale clearance for some years past, one man had lived 50 years in the Scotch capital, and among the sixteen consecutive entries there appear the following terms of years' residence:- 30, 39, 41, 31, 16, 20, 40, 29, 32, 19, 16, and 43. Edward HANAH was brought from Lisburn to Scotland when he was three years of age. At the age of 55, after 52 years' residence, he was sent back with the comment, "not able to support himself - no settlement in Scotland." Enough is given in the extracts I have made above from this important return to show that the remorseless brutality with which the Irish poor are treated must be remedied at any cost.

August 23, 1878



Sub-Constable MAXWELL summoned Pat MARTIN, for permitting his cattle to wander on the public road.
Fined 3s and costs.

Sub-Constable Maxwell also summoned Thomas CALLAGHAN for drunkenness.
Fined 10s 6d and costs.

Constable DOLAN charged James RAHILL with like.
Fined 2s 6d and costs.

Sub-Constable SCANELL (Seanell?) summoned Francis WALSH and John BRADY with assaulting him at Ford Lodge.
Walsh was sent to gaol for a month, and Brady for fourteen days.

John FINLAY summoned Patt M’ALOON for trespass.
Fined 3s 6d and costs.

Patrick GORMON summoned Mary BRADY for £3 7s 6d wages.
Decree granted.

Sub-Con. SHERIDAN summoned Thomas CONATY for drunkenness.
Fined 5s and costs.


(Magistrates present – J. J. BENNISON, and George NUGENT, Esqrs.)

Thomas M’HUGH was summoned by the Constabulary for assaulting John M’CAFFREY.
John M’Caffrey said he was standing on the street of Ballyconnell on the 24th June, with his hands in his pocket, when he was knocked down by a stroke on the head; did not see who did it.
Peter HARMON and Patt MURPHY were examined also, but failed to identify the accused.

Sub-Constable RYAN summoned Phill M’ATIER for having two unlicensed dogs in his possession.
Defendant said Mr. NETTERFIELD left them with him when he was going to Australia, and he believed they were licensed; he produced a licence (sic), one dog corresponded with the description, the other did not.
He was fined 1s and costs, and ordered to take out a license for one dog.

Sub-Constable Ryan summoned Thomas KELLS for allowing two pigs to wander on the public road.
Fined 6d and costs.

Sub-Constable Ryan summoned Jane BRADY for being drunk.
Mr. Bennison – What have you to say to this charge?
Defendant – Well your honour I am almost a teetotaler since October last, and have not been brought up since that time, and should be dealt with very leniently.
Mr. Bennison – I see there is another charge against you.
Sub-Constable BAILY said she was drunk on the public street on the 2nd of August too.
Defendant – Sure you don’t call the Pound-lane the public street.
Mr.Bennison – You are fined 10s. in each case, or two weeks in gaol.
Defendant – Why if I knocked a man down I would not be fined that much.
Sub-Constable CANTILLON summoned Jas. REILLY for being drunk while in charge of a horse and cart.
Fined 2s 6d and costs.

John DRUM summoned Peter DRUM for assaulting him.
Fined 5s and costs.

(Before James SMALL, Esq., J.P., and Captain WARING, R.M.)


Benjamin GILMOR, Gartenane, charged John CAMPBELL, Lisball, with cruelly beating to death a calf, the property of complainant, on the evening of the 4th inst.

It appeared from the evidence of complainant that the calf was among other cattle in charge of two little boys in a bog near complainant’s residence. The boys left the cattle, and defendant soon after found them in his plot of turf, where it was alleged he beat and kicked the calf, causing its death.

Mr. MAHAFFY appeared for defendant.

Thomas GORDON, Kilanne, said he remembered seeing the calf soon after the occurrence; it was lying moaning, but had no apparent marks of violence upon it. It died soon after.

Mary Gilmor, wife of complainant, said she saw defendant in the bog on the 4th inst.; he turned the cattle into his turf, and then commenced beating the calf with a stick; he kicked it also. Witness refused to remove the cattle from the bog as she considered it was not defendant’s premises.

The Court dismissed the case without prejudice.


Bridget M’CABE, Tunnyduff, charged her husband, Terence M’Cabe, with an unprovoked assault.

Defendant, in answer to the charge, said his wife refused to get supper ready for him after his daily toil; he caught hold of her and she fell.

Complainant did not consider the latter a very friendly embrace, and begged protection.

Defendant was bound in the peace in the sum of £10, and two sureties in £5 each, to be of good behaviour for twelve months, or in default to be imprisoned for one calendar month.


Head-constable KELLY summoned a boy named John SHERIDAN, for torturing two cats by uniting their tails and suspending the cats from an iron rail. A boy named CAHILL said he assisted at the execution, but thought it was no harm.

Sheridan was fined 5s. with costs.


F. G. DEVERELL, Esq., C. E., summoned Terence SCOLLEN for removing a flag stone from a water gllet near the Institute Gate, Bailieboro.

Defendant asked for an adjournment of the case in order to have witnesses summoned for next Court.



Head-constable Kelly summolned Henry SIMMONDS for driving a very lame horse which appeared unfit for work.

Witness said he saw the horse on the 16th inst. It was then quite lame, and unable to place the tender foot on the ground; was confident it suffered great pain.

Captain Waring, who also saw the horse, aggreed (sic) with Mr. Kelly that it was cruel to work or drive a horse in such a painful state.

James MARTIN, Veterinary Surgeon, denied that the horse felt any pain although quite lame as the horse suffered from a chronic disease for some time past but it did not prevent it from working.

Relying on Mr. Martin’s evidence, the Bench dismissed the case.


Sub-Constable GUNNING charged Mary Reilly (an old offender) with worshipping at the shrine of Bacchus. Mary, who was non nest on this occasion, was fined 40s with costs, or in default one month’s imprisonment.

Daniel SMITH, an old man who was never drunk before, was summoned for drunkenness by Sub-Constable GOLDING.
It being a rare instance of inebriety, the Bench dismissed defendant with a caution.

Constable SCOTT summoned Thomas SMITH for being drunk on the 5th inst.
Ordered to pay 2s 6d with costs.

Sub-Constable M’ENTEE summoned Thomas LEDDY and Pat CARROLL for road trespass.
Defendants were fined 6d each with costs.

The cases afterwards disposed of were of the routine character.


A Central News telegram says serious roits (sic) are reported from Lurgan. The police, having arrested a man for party cries, were attacked and stoned by a mob, who broke the barrack windows, and were charged at the point of the bayonet. Near Banbridge Catholics attacked Protestant bands, who fired on them and wrecked Catholic houses.

BICYCLE FEAT. – Mr. John BANKIN, a young gentleman of Kilmarnock, has just completed a journey to London and back on a bicycle. He left Kilmarnock on July 23, and reached the Metropolis on August 1, after having made a stay of two days at Sheffield, part of a day at Birmingham and part of a day at Coventry. The distance of 439 miles was thus run in aobut six days, making allowance for stoppages. Mr. RANKIN left London for home on August 5, taking the east coat route, and reached Glasgow on Saturday evening, thence going to Kilmarnock that night by train. The longest run in one day was from Morpeth to Edinburgh, the distance traveled being 112 miles.

Some time ago we (a colonial journal) learned that a new system of washing had been introduced in some of the German towns, which did away with the destructive use of the wash board and pounding barrel, as likewise the ruinous washing fluid, crystals, and sodas heretofore used. Since then, this same system has been adopted in some of the French towns with satisfactory economical results. It is simply to dissolve two pounds of hard soap in a little water and with it add two ten gallons of warm water, one spoonful of turpentine, and two spoonfuls of ammonia. Mix thoroughly with the water, which should be kept at a temperature in which the hand can be held. Into this solution place the white clothes, and leave them for two or three hours, covered as tightly as possible. Then take out and wash once through warm water – little rubbing being necessary. Rinse through two waters, the last blued, and the clothes are ready for the line. We give this bit of foreign economy, so that those of our friends who have an experimental turn of mind can try the method.

(The following are excerpts selected to show the death dates.)


NOTICE is hereby Given pursuant to the 30th and 31st vic. Chap. 54 that

MARY ANGELINA SKELTON, formerly of Carlisle House, and late of No. 19 Summer-hill road, both in Kingstown, in the county of Dublin, Spinster, Deceased, by her Will bearing the date 25th day of September, 1877, bequeathed to the Church Sustentation Fund for the diocese of Kilmore…


In the Goods of

THE REV. ANDREW TODD GILLMOR, LL.D., late of the Rectory, Bailieborough, in the County of Cavan deceased.

NOTICE is here by given, pursuant to an Act passed in the 22nd and 23rd years of the Reign of her present Majesty, cap 35… that all Creditors and Persons having claims against the Estate or Assets of the said Rev. Andrew Todd Gillmor, deceased, who died on the 2nd day of April, 1878…




Pursuant to an order of the County Court Judge for the county of Cavan, made in the matter of Edward HARTEN and others, plaintiffs; and Patrick HARTEN, administrator of Patrick Harten, late of Carnagh, in the county of Cavan, deceased, defendant… who died in or about the month of September, 1870…


The Constabulary summoned Patrick FLOOD for having an unlicensed dog.
Fined 5s and ordered to take out license.

Acting-Constable ATWOOD summoned Mr. Patrick M’MANUS for having a person in his shop at 11:30 p.m., on the 16th inst.
Mr. M’Mannus stated the person found in his shop was a Commercial Gentleman who had appointed to see him on business about 9 o’clock; he did not call until shortly after 10; he (Mr. M’Manus) had been posting up his books in his shop, and the gentleman came in; while they were transacting business, complainant came in; no drink was consumed or sold.
Complainant said there was no appearance of drink either on the persons or about the shop; the gentleman gave his card and showed a cheque which he had received from defendant.
The case was nilled.

Sub-Constable Robinson summoned Patrick DEVLIN for drunkenness.
Fined 5s.

Acting-Constable COOKE summoned James CALLAGHAN for like.
Fined 5s.

Thomas DRUM summoned James RENNIX for overholding possession of a house in Half Acre.
Decree to possession granted.

Pat MCANN was charged by the Guardians of Cavan Union with assaulting an old man named MARTIN.
Sent to gaol for two months.


Dublin, Tuesday.

At the Dublin Police Court to-day a labourer named John BRADY was charged with having killed a fellow-labourer named FOSTER, on the 27th of June, in James-street. The men had a dispute with each other in the street, when Brady struck Foster a violent blow in the neck, which knocked him down. His head came in contact with the kerbstone, and he received a terrible fracture, from the effects of which he died a day or two after. Brady absconded, and was arrested on Friday last in Belfast. He was remanded for a week.

The Vice-President of Maynooth, the Most Rev. Dr. MacCarthy, was on Sunday consecrated Bishop of Kerry, in the Cathedral of Killarney. After the ceremony his lordship was presented by the Earl of Kenmare with an address expressing the gratification of the people of Kerry at his elevation to the Episcopal dignity.


Some time since we directed attention to the neglected and discreditable state of Crossdoney Fair Green. It affords us much satisfaction to be able to state now, that Mr. Alex. NESBITT, the landlord of the place, is getting it thoroughly repaired and improved; and already a suitable sheep-market with the necessary pens, &c., has been constructed. We trust the large holes, of which we formerly complained, will be carefully filled up, and this source of danger to men and cattle removed. Crossdoney fair is rapidly increasing in importance; and we are sure it will be worth the landlord’s while to make the Fair Green all it ought to be.


The Dublin Weekly News asks:- “Will the judge be put upon his trial for attempted assassination. The outrage recalls a bygone era, when John SADLIER and William Keogh were associates. Sadlier killed himself, and William Keogh attempted to kill another. The latter has not yet come to the end of the chapter, and he may find that the will of God grinds slowly, yet it grinds exceeding small.”

The Flag of Ireland says:- “Keogh was a shameless traitor, and a bitter enemy to his country, a renegade, and an apostate, but his terrible fate should make us dumb with awe at the terrible character of the retribution which has overtaken him, while we must recognize its justice.”

The Nation says:- The judge will never again be allowed to indulge in fits of insanity on the bench.”

The Irishman says:- The world’s sunshine seemed to have been concentrated around this political profligate, but imagine the fearful closing scene of a fearful life.

Mr. Justice Keogh was born in 1817, was called to the Irish bar in 1840, made Q.C. in 1849, Solicitor-General for Ireland in 1852-55; Attorney-General in 1855; represented Athlone in the imperial parliament from 1847 until 1856, in which year he was appointed to the Court of Common Pleas, of which he is now second judge.


One of the saddest and most determined cases of suicide that ever happened in Dublin occurred on Friday, the unfortunate victim being Mr. F. CAMPBELL, manager of Messrs. HUND & Co.’s drug store in Wesland Row. It appears that the unfortunate man went as usual to his office on Friday morning, and after being there a short time he left. From what he afterwards stated it seems he carried with him a one-ounce bottle of strychina and walked towards Sandymount; when under the railway bridge, near Beggar’s Bush, he deliberately took the bottle from his pocket, uncorked it, swallowed the contents, and then threw the empty bottle against the wall. Shortly afterwards he was found by the police, and brought to one of our Dublin hospitals. He was refused admittance. The policeman in charge immediately brought the unfortunate sufferer to Sir Patrick Dun’s Hospital, Grand Canal Street, where the resident surgeon, Dr. J. BARTON, F.R.S.C.I., assisted by Drs. GIBSON and GABBINS, resident physicians, did all that science could to save the unfortunate gentleman’s life. Dr. BUTCHER on being sent for, was immediately in attendance, but pronounced the case utterly hopeless. The unfortunate man died in violent agony three-quarters of an hour after his admittance. The motives for this dreadful suicide are hard to resolve. About three months ago Mr. Campbell lost his wife, after being only married for eighteen months. The poor fellow seems never to have recovered from the shock. – Freeman.

County Cavan Newspaper Transcription Project

Ireland Home Page
County Cavan

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.