Cavan Weekly News
Published in Cavan, county Cavan

April 5, 1878


HOPE and OVEREND - April 4th, at St. George's Church, Dublin, by the Rev. John Henry MacMAHON, LL.D. (uncle of the bride), assisted by the Rev. John Willim STUBBS, D.D., F.T.C.D., the Rev. Ralph James Hope, A.M., vicar of Drung, to Margaret Ismenia Thomasina (Madge), second daughter of the late William Overend, barrister-at-law, of 9, Upper Rutland-street, Dublin.


GILMOR - April 2, at the Rectory, after a short illness, and deeply mourned by his sorrowing family, the Rev. Andrew Todd Gilmore, LL.D., rector of Bailieboro', in the 72nd year of his age.


The United Kingdom has been startled and shocked by the announcement of the murder of this nobleman. On Tuesday morning last, as his lordship, accompanied by his clerk and coachman, was on his way from his residence at Manor Vaughan, to Milford in the County of Donegal, for the purpose of proceeding to Derry to consult his solicitor, he was shot; and his coachman and clerk were murdered also. It appears that the first shot fired at Lord Leitrim was not immediately fatal and that he made a desperate struggle for life; but he was eventually overpowered, and when found both his arms were broken and he was also dreadfully battered and bruised about the face. The clerk was shot through the brain, and his death must have been instantaneous. The driver was shot through the mouth; and though alive when found, he was unconscious and never spoke until he died.

It is generally believed that the outrage was agrarian in its character. It is stated that the land on his lordship's estates were let at a low rent, and that he was kind and generous to the poor; but he had very high notions of the prerogatives and powers of a landlord; and when the tenants violated the rules of the estate, he evicted them unsparingly. Several evictions have already taken place in this way, and it is said that at the time of his death eighty-nine more were in progress. We know not what truth may be in these rumours; but this isn't the time to discuss them. No sufficient justification can be alleged for this horrible crime; accompanied as it has been by the murder of two innocent men, for no imaginable reason than lest they should live to give evidence against the assassins.


Queenstown, Friday.

American papers received to-day contains details of the riot at Toronto on the occasion of O'Donovan ROSSA's lecture. It appears during Rossa's lecture the mob outside attacked the hall with stones, until a whole pane was not left in the windows. At midnight the mob assailed the tavern of a prominent Irish nationalist named COSGROVE. The police charged the mob. Another mob attacked the house of a man named COLLINS. Revolvers were used here also. Nine men were shot - one fatally. Two policemen were seriously injured. Several other casualties occurred.


A Cork telegram says: - After his adventure at Toronto, O'Donovan Rossa took the train for New York, but stopped on the way at Canadaign to deliver a public lecture. The Catholic clergy of that place had warned their flocks against countenancing himself or his lectures. It appears it was in direct opposition to the wishes of his colleagues that he went to Canada, but one he proposed taking the journey nothing would dissuade him from the enterprise in consequence of the attacks which the Canadian papers began to level at him once the idea of a visit on his part was mooted. One of these journals described him as Mr. O'Dynamite Rossa. He stated to a New York reporter that his skirmishing fund now amounted to £10,000.


A meeting of above body was held on Monday last.

EDWARD KENNEDY, Esq., J.P., in the Chair.


A number of letters were read on the subject of the County Gaol, and a numerously signed requisition presented to the Chairman, requesting him to convene a public meeting for Monday next on the subject, in accordance with which a public meeting has been called, as will be seen by our advertising columns.

An opinion of Mr. MULLIGAN's Council was read as to the form of guarantee adopted by the Commissioners, and the subject was referred to Commissioners' Counsel for his opinion.

The Clerk read the Auditor's Report of his late inspection of the Town Accounts, by which it appeared a sum of £6 9s. 9d. in connection with Pork Market affairs was again disallowed.

Adjourned for a week.

A TRANSFORMATION. - Mr. Albert Grant's house at Kensington has at last found a purchaser. It has been bought by Mr. MACKEY, a San Francisco millionaire, who went to America a poor Irish boy, and is now reputed to be the richest man in the world. Mr. Mackey is about to come to London to complete the purchase and take possession of his new house, and Mrs. Mackey and her daughter, who are now in Paris, will join him there. - Vanity Fair.


Limerick, Sunday.

Yesterday morning between four or five o'clock an old man named HEALY, while traveling with an ass and cart from Newport, Tipperary, on the confines of Limerick, to Limerick city, found a dead body on the road, which has since been identified as that of a

young farmer named Martin O'GORMAN. The place where the body was found is about half a mile from the town of Newport, and life was not quite extinct when found. Healy brought the body to the police station in Newport where medical efforts were resorted to for the restoration of life, but without effect. The crown of the skull was nearly hacked off, and the brain, protruded from the wound, which presented a frightful aspect, while the throat was cut from ear to ear. It transpires that O'Gorman early in the day was seen drinking in the company of two men named Pat CAREY and Dan NOONAN in the city of Limerick and they were also identified as being together in Newport.

Cloughjordan, Sataurday.

The constabulary of this and adjoining districts received information to-day of a dreadful murder having been committed on the previous night at Lackamore, a place situated a few miles from Nenagh. The victim is a respectable farmer, aged 28 years, named Margin Gorman. He was beaten to death near his own house. Immediately on the news of the murder becoming known, the police proceeded to the spot, and from inquiries they arrested another farmer named Thomas CASEY. They also proceeded to the house of James NOONAN, against whom they procured evidence, but he had decamped, and has not yet been arrested. At the coroner's inquest a verdict of wilful (sic) murder was returned against some person or persons unknown. The cause of the murder is not generally known, but it is believed to be the result of a party quarrel, having its origin in a dispute about land.

FRIGHTFUL ACCIDENT AT AUGHNASEDA. - On Monday an old man named James DUNWOODY was instantly killed by the fall of a tree. Deceased went out to hew the tree in his garden, and when it toppled over he was too infirm to leave its way. There was no person hear to render any assistance it being the market day of Monaghan. Some neighbours attracted by his heart-rending cries for help, hastened to the spot, but it was too late. The unfortunate man was dead.


Londonderry, Saturday Night.

A case of ejectment on the title, which had some issues in common with the famous Tichborne case, concluded last night before Mr. Justice BARRY and a special jury at an adjourned assizes in Lifford, Co. Donegal. It was the case of M'GOWAN v CLANCY, to recover possession of lands in Donegal, which were held by the same title as certain property in Dame-street and College-green, Dublin. Plaintiff claimed under the will of Philip Clancy, deceased, who had come from America abut five years ago, heir-at-law of Charles Clancy, a button maker. The Donegal property belonged to the same Charles Clancy, and was part of his real estate, but had not been re-recovered from Pat Clancy, an inheritor of some of the personal estate and who had also gone into possession of the freehold property before the arrival of the claimant. The defendant disputed the identity of Philip Clancy, deceased, as heir-at-law; denied that the woman who came over with him from America were his mother and sister respectively, and averred that the man who called himself Philip Clancy, and who had made a will in favour of M'Gowan, the plaintiff, was so drunken and besotted as not to be competent to make a will, and was operated upon unduly by the plaintiff. In the course of the trial his lordship frequently referred to the points of resemblance between the case for the defendant and the notorious Tichborne case. The jury found for the plaintiff on both issues - namely, that the claimant was Philip Clancy, son of James Clancy, and heir-at-law to Charles Clancy, and that the will made by the said Philip Clancy was valid.


Tullamore, Monday.

At the Tullamore petty sessions to-day, before George RIDLEY, Captain L'ESTRANGE, stipendiary magistrate, and John PIERCE, Esqrs., a woman named Johanna GRENNAN was charged with attempting to murder her child by throwing it into the fire. The evidence of a woman with whom the prisoner was lodging went to show that the child was illegitimate, and after being first cruelly eaten by the mother was flung into the fire. On being rescued the woman again attacked the child, aged only four years, and thought to force its head under a pot that was placed on the fire. Failing in this, she suddenly snatched up a vessel of hot water and flung it into the child's face burning it severely. The police were then sent for, and the woman given into custody. The only defence sought to be made was that there was no intent to do grevious (sic) injury, and that the prisoner was in a passion. A witness swore that the child was previously well treated. The magistrates considered a charge of serious assault proved, and ordered the unfortunate woman to be imprisoned in the county gaol for three months, with suitable labour.


To the Editor of the Cavan Weekly News.

Dear Sir, - How comes it that under the act lately passed for the preservation of Irish Monuments, no monument appears to have been taken notice of in County Cavan but the old abbey in my parish of Drumlane? Not a single abbey, or church, or old cathedral, or cromlech, or object of antiquity of any kind whatever, has been thought worthy of the least attention.

It may not yet be too late to remedy this neglect.

County Cavan is not, certainly, so rich in monuments of the past as many other counties, yet there are some in different parts of it of considerable interest; and he must be a cold-hearted Irishman who can behold without emotion the remnants till existing of house of God, whose foundations were laid and whose walls were built by the men who, in the hoary past, made our native land illustrious.

The Abbey of Drumlane was founded by S. Aiden, or Madoc, in the century succeeding S. Patrick. S. Aiden was a prince of the royal family of Leinster, the capital of which was Ferns. The traveler who visits Ferns now will be sadly disappointed if he expects to find much that is interesting. It is a small uninteresting country village, with the remains of the castle built by the English still standing, some parts of it in a tolerable state of preservation. One chamber was, I found upon enquiry, used by an Orange Lodge; but it was a place of great strength in the time of Elizabeth, and Lady Catherine MASTERSON, the wife of the governor of Co. Wexford, who then resided in it, used to make wild work with those who showed the least opposition to her will. Descendants of this governor still live in the vicinity.

But long before England ever acquired the least power in Ireland – long before the work of a cruel conquest had begun – the royal city of Ferns stretched away from the gentle eminence on which it is now built to the banks of the beautiful Slaney, from which it is at present three miles distant. At that time, when the country was in a high state of civilization, when the population was by no means so sparse as it afterwards became, the great Truths of Christianity seized on the minds of the people of this country, constitutionally adapted for its reception, with a power and an abnegation of self we in vain look for in these days of money-making and low-toned morality. Then it was that Aiden dedicated himself to the service of God, and having attained to Episcopal rank he set forth on a missionary tour to persuade his countrymen to forsake their grand but false religion, Druidism; and wherever he went he left permanent memorials of himself behind. In his journey he came to this part of County Cavan, and having obtained a grant of land from the chieftain, he set to found the old abbey of Drumlane. The stranger sometime wonders at the beautiful verdure of the lands about the old abbey, but to those who know the reason, the wonder ceases. Not a rood, not a perch of the abbey lands but were turned over again and again by men who, often noblemen in the halls of their fathers, left all for the sake of Christ, and applying the powers of their cultivated minds to the improvement of the soil, soon made the places in which they had settled, no matter how barren, bloom like the garden of the Lord.

There still remains standing a piece of the wall of the ancient abbey, by far the most ancient piece of masonry in this part of the country. The old Church which, with the Round Tower, is to be henceforth carefully preserved by Act of Parliament, is modern in comparison with the remains of the abbey. The Round Tower is one of the most remarkable in Ireland, not so perfect as some, but interesting from its architecture. The lower half is composed of sandstone, which could nowhere have been found in this locality, and must have been brought from a considerable distance. The stones are large, chiseled with care, part of one stone overlapping part of another, like a strengthened joint in wood. There are two figures of birds carved in stone on this part of the tower, the symbolic meaning of which has afforded considerable speculation.

Since it has been ascertained that the Round Towers were built as sepulchral monuments, the mystery about them has in a great measure disappeared. Drumlane Round Tower has been found to be like all those hitherto examined, a sepulchral monument. Unfortunately the very bones of the Irish chieftain who had reposed so many centuries within the foundations, whose tomb had been raised by loving hands where two lakes spread away to the right and left, and looked over one of the finest prospects in County Cavan, were taken some time ago to Belfast, and probably long since ground into dust, and sold with other manure, by the canny but rough and tasteless people of our northern Athens.

There is a very interesting old abbey of the Holy Trinity in Trinity Island, Lough, Oughter, founded by Claras (sp) Mac Mailin, in 1249, if I am correct as to the date. From this the Island takes its name. The doors and windows were beautifully formed of stone, carved with great care and artistic skill, but these stones have all now disappeared. The beautifully carved Vestry door in Kilmore Cathedral was brought from this abbey. Some stones that were wanting to complete the door were formed with considerable taste and care, so as to harmonise with the old.

I found one of these missing stones lying at the house of a Mrs. BENNET, at Crossdoney; how long it had lain there I know not, probably it is there still. Other stones, that had formed part of the architectural decorations of this abbey, are still lying at a house in the townland of Monery.

Not many miles from where I now write there is one of the most beautiful and most perfect Druid Altars in Ireland. It is very large, almost smooth as a table, still resting on its three supporters, and at the angle of inclination it probably had when the Arch-Druid used to offer up sacrifices on it more than two thousand years ago.

My acquaintance with the surface of the county is not so great as I could wish, and there are, no doubt, many monuments in it of which I am ignorant, but I think there is still time to get the best and most remarkable of them preserved under the recent Act. Perhaps those who live near them may take a friendly hint and bestir themselves. – I am, Sir,

Very truly yours,
Drumlane Rectory,
2nd April, 1878.

April 12, 1878


BOTHWELL - April 8, at Killeshandra, the wife of Mr. G. M. Bothwell, of a son.


DANCY and TUBMAN - April 11th, at Ballyhaise Church, by the Rev. Mr. HAMILTON, assisted by the Rev. A. MONYPENNY, Mr. Richard W. Dancy, of Drumbow, to Mary, daughter of Mr. Richard Tubman, Crossreagh, Ballyhaise.


CROZIER - April 5, at his residence, 41, Wellington Road, Dublin, of apoplexy, the Rev. Baptist Barton Crozier, B.A., of Rockview, Co. Cavan, in the 71st year of his age.

KEITH - April 7, Mr. Thomas Keith, Master of Drummany School, Kildallon, deservedly esteemed and regretted.


We regret to announce the demise of this most estimable clergyman, which took place at his residence, Wellington Road, Dublin, on Friday last. Mr. CROZIER was in the seventy-first year of his age; and the immediate cause of death is stated to have been apoplexy. But it is many years since he felt himself compelled by declining health to resign his curacy in the Church of Ireland; and from that period he resided chiefly on his property at Knockfad, near Ballyhaise, in this County. He was an excellent landlord; and in every respect a most exemplary Christian. His sterling worth was well appreciated in the neighbourhood where he was best known; for he was well beloved by rich and poor. He knew how to show piety at home and to train up h is children in the way they should go; and, as one of the results, his two eldest sons chose to enter the ministry of the Church of Ireland. One of them is in Belfast and other in Cork; and both are clergymen of much promise. Perhaps it is scarcely to be desired that in all instances the clerical office should descend as an inheritance from father to son; but it is a most gratifying circumstance when the sons of the clergy voluntarily choose the vocation of their fathers.


CAVAN MILITIA. - Second Lieutenant ARMSTRONG of this regiment, has been attached for two months' drill and instruction to the 38th regiment, stationed at Dublin.

A special supplement to the Dublin Gazette was issued a few nights ago, containing a proclamation by the Lord Lieutenant and Privy Council, directing that from the 10th inst. "The Peace Preservation (Ireland) Act, 185." as amended and continued, shall apply to and be in force in and for Kilmacrenan, in the county of Donegal. The measure is a consequence of the recent murder of the Earl of Leitrim.

Another scandal in a titled family will occupy the Divorce Court at the next sittings. The Earl of Desart, an Irish peer, who was married only seven years ago, has filed a petition for divorce from Lady Desart, the co-respondent to the suit being Mr. SUDGEN have both filed answers denying the accusation. The matter has been brought formally before Sir James HANNEN, who directed that the case should be tried by a special jury at the next sittings.

LONGEVITY. - There is an old woman, named Anne LYNCH, of the advanced age of 102 years, living at Tempo. She is at present in receipt of out-door relief, as she has been unwell lately and is unfit for removal to the union hospital. Her husband, James LYNCH, is over 80 years, and earns a scanty livliehood (sic) by breaking stones for the public roads, and the neighbours are said to be kind enough to look after his aged wife during his absence at work.

STRANGE COINCIDENCE IN NEWRY - On Tuesday a widow named M'ILROY, residing in Monaghan-street, Newry, took ill and expired on the afternoon of the day following. Only four hours afterwards her daughter, who had been in delicate health for some time past, also died. This in the latter part of the same day both mother and daughter were removed by death. One hearse took their remains to the cemetery, and they were buried in the same grave. Mrs. M'Ilroy leaves three children totally unprovided for.

The remains of the murdered Earl of Leitrim were removed from his late residence at Killadoon, near Celbridge, on Wednesday, and conveyed to Dublin, where they were laid in the family vault beneath St Michan's Church An unseemly demonstration was made by a large mob as the body was being removed from the hearse at the church door, and again when the coffin was brought out from the church. A large body of police had to be summoned to the spot for the purpose of maintaining order.


Longford, Wednesday.

Last night, at Whiterock, about a mile from this town, a gang of itinerant tinkers, including women and children, and numbering upwards of fifty persons quarreled, and in the melee a man named Timothy JOYCE inflicted terrible injuries on Martin M'DONOUGH,

literally hacking his face and neck to pieces with a knife. A brother of the injured man, named Michael, was also stabbed in several palaces. Joyce was arrested. Little hope is entertained of the recovery of M'Donogh (sic).



The Constabulary charged John KEOGAN and Michael DOONAN with stealing five dollars the property of Miss M'GUINNESS, and a pair of cuffs the property of Mary M'CULLOCH.

The case was adjourned for a week.

There was a charge against Ann M'CABE of receiving the goods - knowing them to have been stolen.

This was adjourned also.

A few persons were fined for drunkenness.

FATAL ACCIDENT. - A youth named Henry GANNON died in the Richmond Hospital yesterday morning from the effects of injuries sustained to the spinal cord on the 31st March last under the following circumstances. It appeared that he was amusing himself along with a number of other boys in a field at Cabra, when he suddenly sprang over a ditch and fell at the other side. He complained of a pain in the heel, but it apparently passed away in a few minutes, as he continued to amuse himself during the day. On the 4th inst. he again complained, and on the following day he went to the Richmond Hospital, where it was found that he was suffering from concussion of the spine. He remained in hospital until yesterday morning, when he died as stated. The deceased, who was a ward in Chancery, lodged with his brother at 63 Grangegorman-lane, and was only sixteen years of age.

April 19, 1878


WHITE and WATERS - Jan., 30 at St. Luke's Church, Adelaide, South Australia by Rev. Jas. POLLITT, William George, eldest son of the late Anthony White, Kells, to Alicia, second daughter of the late John Waters, Mullingar.

Two of the prisoners arrested on suspicion of the murder of Lord Leitrim were yesterday discharged. Their names are TRAINER and M'TAGGART. Seven others, five named M'GRENAHAN and two named HEGARTY, have been again remanded.



The Constabulary charged three lads named KEOGAN, DONEGAN, and DOONAN with stealing several articles of clothing, the property of Miss M'GUINNESS.

There was a second charge against Keogan of stealing 1s the property of Mr. William BENNETT.

Keogan was sent to a Reformatory for five years' and the other defendants were discharged.

There was also a charge against John M'CABE and wife for receiving the articles.

The case was sent for trial at the Quarter Sessions.

Constable Dolan summoned Mr. Tomas HIGGENS for selling drink after hours.

The Constabulary proved having seen five persons leave defendant's house at 1:30., a.m., on 12th inst; and upon going in they found the bar open.

Mr. Higgins said they were friends he was entertaining at his own expense.

The case was dismissed.

A number of persons were fined for drunkenness.

Mr. Sergeant ARMSTRONG, the leader of the common-law bar in Ireland, is unfortunately incapacitated by the state of his health from taking briefs, and the disability gives Mr. Isaac BUTT an opportunity of taking his place, and earning the largest income to be got in the Sister Isle from the profession of an advocate. This consideration, doubtless, has a great deal to do with the resignation by Mr. Butt of the leadership of the Home Rule party, and the great demands upon his time which that position entails. - London Correspondent.


A conference, having for its object the introduction of the Celtic language into the system of national education in Ireland by placing it in the same position as Latin, Greek, and French, was held last night in London. Mr. HUTCHINSON, M.P., presided, and among those present were - Mr. BUTT; Mr. Frazer MACKINTOSH, M.P.; Mr. ERRINGTON, M.P.; Mr. O'CONNER POWER, M.P.; Mr. O'SHAUGHNESSY, M.P.; Chevalier O'CLERY, M.P.; Dr. MACKEY, and Mr. NASMYTH STOKES, one of her Majesty's inspectors of schools. Mr. Hutchinson having spoken in support of the proposal to introduce Celtic, Mr. Butt, M.P., said it was a mistake to suppose that by destroying national characteristics you could unite nations, and on that point both Wales and Scotland were evidences; for while they maintained the language in a great degree, they were still united in friendship with England. In Ireland, however, where the language had been nearly destroyed, the existence of that friendship towards England could not be found. Mr. Nasmyth Stokes, speaking as an official of the Education Department, said he believed, if the Irish people moved in the matter, the department would agree. Mr. Power, M.P., Mr. CLEARY, M.P., and others, having spoken, resolutions were unanimously adopted in favour of the objects of the Conference.

DEATH FROM EXCESSIVE DRINKING - A servant girl named Bridget HANNIGAN, died on Thursday evening in a house in summer-hill, Dublin, from the effects of an overdoes of whiskey.

QUEEN'S BENCH - Wednesday.

Ryan v. Lady Lisgar

Mr.TRACEY, for the defendant, applied to set aside the reply of plaintiff delivered in this case, on the ground that it was late. The action is brought to recover damages for injuries sustained by plaintiff in falling over a heap of stones left upon the public road, near Lady Lisgar's demesne, Bailieborough. Counsel stated that although these stones had been left on the road only twelve hours the whole of the inhabitants of the North of Ireland seemed, judging by the number of actions, to have fallen over them (Laughter.) By the 23rd order the plaintiff should deliver his reply joining issue within three weeks, and the 23rd order, rule 12, directed that if the reply was not delivered within the proper time the pleadings were deemed to be closed, and the statements of facts in the last pleading delivered were considered to be admitted. The affidavit of the plaintiff's attorney mentioned that although the defence was delivered on the 20th February last the reply was not delivered until the 6th April, when it was three weeks late. The defendants might be held to have waived any advantage gained by the irregularity if they did not move to set aside the reply.

Mr. MORIARTY, for plaintiff's, opposed, the motion, and pointed out that, under the 59th order, non-compliance with the rule did not necessarily set aside what was done as void. There was, no doubt, an irregularity; but if the reply were set aside he must ask for leave to reply and demur.

The Court, by consent, made no rule on the motion, with liberty to plaintiff's to file their replication nunc pr tune (sp?), plaintiff's to pay the costs of the motion.

April 26, 1878.


CUPPPLES and MERVYN - On the 24th April, in the Presbyterian Church, Adelaide road, Dublin, by the Rev. Smylie ROBSON, William Cupples, to Charlotte, daughter of John Jones Mervyn, Cavan.

ORR and LUNDY - At Corlea Presbyterian Church, by the Rev. Thomas MARTIN, Shercock, Alexander Orr, Gartenanc, Bailieborough, to Matilda, youngest daughter of the late William LUNDY, Esq., Mullacroghery, Co. Monaghan.


LAWDER - April 23, at Gresson House, Swanlinbar, of bronchitis, Anne, the dearly loved wife of the Rev. M. N. Lawder.


The Lord Chancellor has appointed Mr. Robert Walker, the Manager of the Ulster Bank, Belturbet, a Commissioner for taking Affidavits in the Supreme Court of Judicature in Ireland, at Belturbet, in and for the County of Cavan.



Sub-Constable BELL summoned William PORTER for assaulting Patt M'ALOON.

Fined 6d and costs

Catherine FITZSIMMONS summoned her husband Edwards Fitzsimmons for assaulting her.

Sent to gaol for three months.


At the Vestry held on Easter Monday, Lewis BUCHANAN, B.A., was appointed Rector's Church-warden, and George ACHESON parishioner's Church-warden, for the ensuing year.

Captain BERESFORD, M.P., was unanimously elected Parochial Nominator, in place of the late Mr. Thomas ACHESON, of Rockfield.

The Right Rev. the Lord Bishop of Kilmore will preach (God willing) in Ballintemple Church, on Sunday next 28th April, on behalf of the Kilmore Diocesan Fund, to aid the poorer parishes in the diocese.

The Archdeacon of Kilmore thankfully acknowledged the receipt of £50 from the Misses BROOKE, for the County Cavan Protestant Orphan Society, forwarded by John RICHARDSON, Esq., J.P., Q.C., through the Very Rev. the Dean of Kilmore.


Lurgan, Tuesday.

To-day, a conservative band proceeded, on invitation, to the residence of the Rev. Thomas WHALEY, Donacloney House, where refreshments were partaken of by the musicians. During their visit the rev. gentleman was exhibiting a twelve-chambered revolver, and lowering his hand when all the barrels were supposed to be empty, the revolver suddenly went off, and a bullet entered the chest of a young man named CLARKE, of Toberhuney. Dr. FRIAR, Waringstown, was in immediate attendance, but was unable to extract the bullet. The injured young man was removed to the Lurgan hospital. No hopes of his recovery are entertained.


Cork, Monday

The American papers review at considerable length the career of Mr. Tweed, who died on the 12th inst., in a New York prison while serving the term of imprisonment to which he was sentenced in 1873. His death was the result of disease of the heart following a rather acute attack of bronchitis and pneumonia. His imprisonment did not visibly tell upon him until about a year from the time of his second incarceration after his escape to Spain. He was often ailing since, and complained frequently of the heart. Tweed recently complained of being mentally prostrated, and was, in fact, labouring under great mental depression, though his mind was clear. His approaching collapse was expected, and some of his friends and his lawyer were summoned to his bedside. His last words, expressed to the doctor in attendance, were - "Doctor, I have tried to do some good if I have not had good luck. I am not afraid to die. I believe the Guardian Angels will protect me." To his lawyer he said - "Well, I guess Tilden and Fairchild have killed me at last. I hope they will be satisfied now." Nine of Tweed's family were present at his last moments. The deceased was 55 years of age. His father was a chairmaker, but in good circumstances, and young Tweed for a time followed the same business. He afterwards attached himself to the fire brigade. In 1850 he commenced his political career, entered Congress, and through his political influence filled different situations. In '57 he was elected Supervisor. While a member of this board measures were passed that laid the foundation of the vast debt under the weight of which the city is now staggering. Mr. Tweed was an active member of what was known as the Old Supervisors' Ring. He and his partners kept a political bureau and collected heavy tolls on every bill that passed the board. All the members of the board, with possibly one exception, became rich during their terms of office. His success as a manipulator of this association undoubtedly emboldened him to lay the plans to carry out the gigantic schemes that afterwards astounded the community. The amount of Tweed's defalcations in connection with the Tammany Ring was estimated at 50,000,000 dollars. He was arrested in 1870, and in 1873 was tried and convicted. He was sentenced to twelve years in a penitentiary, and the circumstances of his escape and recapture in Spain are familiar to the public.

EXTRAORDINARY BIRTH. - At Duntryleague, parish of Galbally, on the 18th April, Mrs. Darby DOWNEY of her fifteenth son in succession. Darby is a small farmer in comfortable circumstances on Lord MASSY's property, who is a good landlord, as all the Massys are. In ancient times Darby would get a reward from the State.



Cork, Monday Night.

The New York Herald of April 12, to hand to-day, contains an account of the fearful end of Launcelot FOGARTY and his wife, both belonging to Thurles, County Tipperary. That paper says: - "The murder of Mrs. Margaret Fogarty by her husband, Launcelot C. Fogarty, who afterwards committed suicide, at No. 330 West Forty-second-street, early yesterday morning, a brief account of which was printed in yesterdays's World, was committed with evident sang froid, and the attending circumstances are very horrible, for he compelled his victim to drink nitric acid so that her vitals were literally eaten away, and after her death he destroyed himself. To appreciate fully the nature of the crime it is necessary to give the history of both husband and wife. Launcelot was born of well-to-do parents at Moyne, county Tipperary, in 1838. When a youth he was apprenticed to a grocer at Thurles, where his wife Miss Matilda KEHOE, was born in 1841. Launcelot shortly after he came of age emigrated to Queensland, Australia, where he established himself in business as a grocer and rapidly made a fortune. Miss Kehoe was the daughter of middle-class people, who are still living, and who are in easy circumstances. She was educated in the convent at Thurles. She had regular features, a good figure, was high-spirited, and accomplished pianist. Through the influence of the Catholic clergy of the diocese she obtained a situation as governess with a family of rank, but when she was nineteen years' old, she without as far as can be learned, knowing Fogarty's whereabouts, emigrated to Australia, and at Queensland met a Catholic priest whom she had known at Thurles, and who procured a situation as governess for her with one of the first families in Australia. At a reception at Queensland she met Fogarty, whom she had heard of in Thurles, and married him in 1860. Their married life up to 1868 was happy, and by that time Fogarty had amassed a fortune of £13,000, and he decided on leaving Australia for Ireland. He went to Thurles and kept a grocery there for a little while, and then removed to Drogheda. His fortune having been very much curtailed in the meantime by liquidations and sprees. In 1870 he suddenly determined on visiting America, and leaving his wife in charge of the store, and with very little money, he came to this country with about eight thousand dollars. He remained in America, leading a debauched life, about a year, went back to Ireland as suddenly as he had left it, endeavoured to open a business in the North of Ireland, and in 1873 left his family to come again to America, so suddenly that his wife believed that he had really deserted her. Next year, however, he wrote to her at Drogheda to sell out her business and come to New York, and she arrived in the city, with her two sons and her daughter Ellie, who was born in Ireland shortly after the return of the Fogartys from Australia. He got into business, but did not succeed, and suddenly left his wife went to Chicago, carrying a large sum of money with him.

His wife honourably discharged his liabilities to her customers, in consideration of which a firm in the city took an interest in the family, and gave her two boys employment. She obtained her own livelihood by giving lessons on the piano. Finally, she go into business again in the grocery line, but the husband returned, and resumed charge of the household and shop. She attempted to assert her rights, and a quarrel took place between them, in consequence of which they went to Mr. Justice DUFFY on April 10th, who, however, refused to have anything to say to there case. That night their son, William, noticed something unusual and getting up at 2 .m. he found his mother and father both dead. It was found that he had while the poor woman was asleep approached her bed, and forced open her mouth and poured nitric acid down her throat which burned her intestines and caused death, and standing before a mirror then cut his throat with a bookbinder's knife."


Kilkeel, Monday

On Saturday evening Joseph DICKSON, Esq., Down, and a respectable jury, held an inquest at the house of Daniel MAGIVERN, a well-to-do farmer, in Greencastle, Kilkeel, on the bodies of his son Thomas, aged 18, and daughter Bridget, aged 14. It appeared from the evidence that on Friday forenoon the two deceased and a youth named DOWDALL, aged 14 years, took a small pram and proceeded to a grocers named CUNNINGHAM, situate on the opposite side form Greencastle, at Millboy, for the purpose of purchasing goods. On their return, between one and two o'clock, whilst passing the influx of the White Water River, which flows into the sea, a strong current, with junction of the tide, caused the oar to fall from young Magivern's hand. He made a sudden grasp for the oar, and the frail pram upset. The scene was witnessed from the shore, and a boat went off immediately to the rescue, but the attempt to save the Magiverns was unsuccessful, as they were both drowned before the boat reached the spot where the accident took place. Young Dowdall swam to the pram, and getting up on the keel of the small craft, was rescued. He however was so weak that he was unable to give evidence. Dr. PRESTON proved that the deaths were caused by drowning, and a verdict to that effect was returned. The sad event has evoked a feeling of intense sorrow in this locality. The scene at the house of the father, where the inquest was held, was of a saddening character. The grief of many as they looked at the two corpses lying on one bed, and reflected that they had been suddenly cut off in the bloom of youth, and when they were looking forward with pleasure to the Easter festival, was poignant in the extreme. - Great sympathy is felt for the sorrowing parents and relatives. It is unfortunate that the people still persist in risking their lives in such unsafe boats. We hope the sad event we have recorded will act as a salutary warning, and that the use of prams will be prohibited.

County Cavan Newspaper Transcription Project

Ireland Home Page
County Cavan

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.