Cavan Weekly News
Published in Cavan, county Cavan

November 2, 1877


BROWN - October 19, at Ballinacargy, the wife of a Constable E. Brown, R.I.C., Kilmainham Wood, of a son.

MATTHEWS - Oct. 27, at Knoughmore, Belturbet, the wife of Mr. Thomas Matthews, Assistant Surveyor, of a daughter.


DODD and GRIER - Oct. 31, at Corlespratten Wesleyan Chapel, by the Rev. A. M. RUTLEDGE, assisted by the Rev. James KIRKWOOD, Robert Dodd, Woodford House, Drumara, Co. Down, to Abegail, fourth daughter of Robert Grier, Corinairy, arvagh.

FYFE and MORTON - On the 24th ult., in Derry-lane Church, by the Rev. J. J. EGAN, Margaret Jane, youngest daughter of the late Mr. JOHNSTON MORTON, Corran Cottage, to Mr. George Fyfe, Lake View Lodge, Arva.


CAHOON - Oct. 19, at the residence of her stepfather (Mr. Wm. HEWITT), Drumconnick, Cavan, Elizabeth, eldest daughter of the late Mr. Andrew Cahoon, Farnham, aged 19 years.

A WOMAN SHOT BY A LUNATIC. - A terrible shooting case is reported from the shore of Loughgur, one of the most beautiful localities in the South of Ireland. Robert WEEKES, the son of an extensive farmer and grazier, but of weak intellect, had been out all day shooting at wild fowl in the lough, and was returning home when he met a woman named Mary MARTIN, who had been in his father's employment as a dairymaid. He accosted her in an eccentric manner, and several times said, "If you don't stand I'll shoot you." After a minute of bantering inanities Weeks at last pulled the trigger of his gun, and the poor woman fell dead on the road. Not very long after Weekes was apprehended by the police, and Dr. MURPHY, the district corner (sic), held an inquiry on Tuesday into all the facts of the case, which naturally created intense excitement in the neighbourhood, as the poor woman who lost her life had always borne a most excellent character. The jury found a verdict incriminating the unfortunate man, who remains in custody. The affair has created great excitement, and called forth deep sympathy with the friends and relations of all the parties concerned.

SAD ACCIDENT. - A melancholy accident occurred at the Carrick-on-Shannon station of the Midland Great Western Railway on Saturday evening. At about 9:10 p.m. four of the porters were engaged pushing a truck into a siding. One of them, names James KAVANAGTH, a native Wicklow, who was pushing in front of the wagon, slipped his foot and he fell, the wheel of the waggon (sic) breaking his jaw-bone. He died in a few minutes. An inquest was held on the body on Monday, and a verdict was returned in accordance with the facts. James Kavanagh was a young man. He leaves behind a widow and two young children to mourn his loss.


(Before Theo. THOMPSON, Wm. BABINGTON, John FAY, and Wm. A. MOORE, Esqrs.)

Sub-Constable MACKEY summoned Thomas REILLY for permitting his ass to wander on the public road.

Fined 6d. and costs.

Constable FILSON summoned Patt M'KEON, Bernard CORRIGAN, and John DINNENY for drunkenness.

They were fined 5s. each and costs.

Margaret BIRD was charged on remand with the illegal possession of a watch.

The prisoner offered it in pledge at Mr. SMALL's; she said she had been sent to do so by a farmer living near Ballyjamesduff. The farmer denied ever having seen the watch. Michael FLOOD appeared and claimed the watch. He said he had been in company with the prisoner. She asked him to lend it to her, and he had done so.

Prisoner - It isn't yours at all.

Head-Constable STORY produced three watches, alike in every respect.

Flood described a private mark inside of his, and picked it out.

A watchmaker was sent for, and upon opening the watch he found the mark described by Flood.

The prisoner then admitted the watch was Flood's.

Mr. THOMPSON - Why didn't you say so at first. You continued saying it belonged to another man until he proved the ownership beyond a doubt.

Flood stated he gave her the watch.

Mr. Thompson said in this case they must discharge the prisoner.

Sub-Constable HEENAN summoned John BRENNAN, a tramp from Mullingar, for assaulting him. Sub-Constable Heenan said on the 23rd ult. he arrested the prisoner for being drunk; while bringing him to the barracks he became very violent, threw himself on the ground, and kicked all round; one of the kicks struck witness in the shin, and caused an ugly wound; even after being brought to the barracks he continued to be violent.

Sub-Inspector HUTCHINSON hoped their worships would for the future deal more severely with parties convicted of assaulting the constabulary, as the punishment usually inflicted by them was not sufficient to deter. He referred them to the Crime and Outrage Prevention Act, which enable them to give up to six months' imprisonment for the first offence; and nine months' for the second.

Their worships ordered him to be imprisoned for two months with hard labour.

Constable DOLAN charged Christopher M'MANUS, of Rahulton, with being drunk and assaulting him.

Constable Dolan said he arrested him between Mr. Thompson's and the Workhouse for being drunk; after being arrested he became violent and made a kick behind at him. To Mr. FAY - He only made the one kick; it didn't hurt anyone.

Mr. Henry WARRINGTON said the prisoner lived with him for last nine months; he never saw him drunk or heard of him being so before.

He was sentenced to one months' imprisonment with hard labour.

The Guardians summoned Thomas M'CANN for refusing to support his wife and child.

The case was adjourned for a month - Defendant in the meantime to give his wife 5s. a week.

Charles MURPHY summoned John REHILL for assaulting him.

After hearing the evidence their worships dismissed the summons.

THE ROMAN CATHOLIC BISHOPRIC OF KERRY. - The election of successor to the Most Rev. Dr. MORIARTY, late Bishop of Kerry; took place on Friday, in the cathedral, Killarney. The Most Rev. Dr. CROKE, Archbishop of Cashel, presided, and all the parishes in the united diocese were represented except four. After high mass the votes of the priests were taken, and resulted as follow: - Rev. Professor M'CARTHY, vice-president, Maynooth, Digissimus; Ven. Archdeacon HIGGINS, P.P., V.G., Kenmare, Dignior; and Ven. Dean Neville, Cork, Dignus.

November 9, 1877

ARREST OF O'DONOVAN ROSSA. - The American papers state that O'Donovan Rossa, the Irish Nationalist, has been arrested in New York for selling steamship passage tickets of the Inman and National lines without the authority of those companies. The judge before whom he was examined has reserved his decision. - Express.


ELLIOTT - November 2, at his residence Droman, Clones, Edward James Elliott, aged 29 years, deeply and deservedly regretted. He fell asleep in Jesus, "For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him." - 1st Thess. __, 24.

A respectable, named James KAVANAGH, fell into the Slaney at Ennisscorthy on Saturday night and was drowned.


Athlone, Tuesday.

Since the murder of Mitchell RIGNEY, who was shot dead near Ferbane over two years ago, the imprisonment and prolonged trial of certain parties for the offence has created in the district a faction known as the Rigneyites and Claffeyites.

These two rival parties, which have had the birth in a murder at a wake-house, have been since at feud with each other, and on several occasions serious rows have occurred between the perpetrators of a species of rivalry supposed to be extinct. At the Ferbane petty sessions yesterday a case came before Captain HAMILTON, resident magistrate, and the local justices, in which the feud was introduced. Two men, named MALONE and M'INTYRE, were charged with assaulting men named M'GRANE and MULREADY. The case against the defendants was that they made an attack on complainants, one of whom was a witness against CLAFFEY, and proclaimed (sic) themselves Claffeyites. Malone, who was previously under a rule of bail, was sentenced to one month's imprisonment, and owing to the previous good character of M'Intyre, he was let of (sic) on the application of his solicitor, Mr. Patrick KENNY with a fine of £1 and costs.


London, Sunday.

In the Court of Queen's Bench yesterday an application was made to admit Paul LOGAN to bail. The prisoner, against whom, with others, a true bill had been found for murder, was arrested in July on board a steamer in Liverpool, he being under a false name, about to leave for America. The alleged murder took place near Limavaddy, county Derry, under peculiar circumstances. It is stated that the prisoner and two others, only one of whom is amenable, were with the deceased man, KELLY, members of a Ribbon lodge. Kelly owed his contribution to the lodge, and a dispute took place about it. Logan and his party went to the residence of Kelly and called him out, and on his appearance he was knocked down, kicked, and injured in such a manner that he died shortly afterwards. Counsel for the prisoner said his client, who belonged to a respectable farming class, was prepared to give bail to the amount of £500. The Crown opposed the motion, which the Court refused.


It has been formally announced that Mr. James ROBINSON, Q.C., has been appointed by the Crown, to the dignified and important office of Sergeant-at-law, in place of the late Sir Colman O'LOUGHLAN. This appointment at once satisfied public expectation and commands public approval. It is well know that for many years Mr. Robinson has occupied a distinguished position in his profession, as the acknowledged leader of the Connaught Bar, as enjoying a lucrative practice in the Four Courts and as chairman of this county. Mr. Robinson went the Munster Circuit as judge last Spring Assizes; and we have no doubt his well-merited promotion will be as popular with the profession as with the general community. Even the Freeman's Journal, notwithstanding its political and religious prejudices, says - "The new sergeant is an able, learned, and very courteous gentleman; and his advancement to the dignity of the coif will give general satisfaction to his professional brethren of all shades of opinion."

In consequence of his promotion, Mr. Robinson will resign the Chairmanship of this county, which, according to the provisions of the Act of last session, we will now be joined to that of Monaghan. We are sure that this resignation will be the subject of general regret throughout the county. He was an able, impartial, and painstaking judge; and secured for himself universal respect and esteem by his personal excellencies as well as by his professional attainments. In common with Mr. Joshua CLARKE, Q.C., now chairman of the Queen's County, he occupies the first place in the esteem of the Solicitors and people of Cavan, as a County Court Judge. While we very much regret his resignation of the Chairmanship, we heartily congratulate him on his appointment as Sergeant-at law; and we have no doubt he will faithfully and efficiently discharge the important duties of this responsible office. In all probability further promotion awaits Mr. Robinson.


On Saturday evening last the commandant and officers of the Royal Irish Constabulary entertained Colonel Hillier, C.B., the assistant-inspectors generals of the force, as well as a large number of friends, at dinner in the mess-room of the Depot, Phoenix Park. During dinner, which was served in excellent style, the band of the Constabulary, under the baton of J. C. VAN MAANEN performed the following programme of music: - Overture, "Mirella," Gounod. Quadrille, "Royal Boudoir," Coote. Grand Selection, "Rigoletto," V. Maanen. Valse, "A moratten Tanze," Gung'l Selection, "Faust," Gounod. Polka, "Peril dio Salon," V. Maanen. "God Save the Queen."



Belturbet, Monday.

A large and influential meeting of the residents in and around Belturbet was held to-day, in the Town Hall, for the purpose of making arrangements with the view to requesting the Great Northern Railway Company to extend the line of railway, which now terminates four miles from Belturbet, to the town of Belturbet. Amongst those present were: - Lord LANESBOROUGH, Lord Lieutenant of the County Cavan; the Hon. Cavandish BUTLER, Mr. T. F. KNIPE, J.P.; Mr. G. TIPPING, J.P.; Mr. J. BENISON, J.P.; Dean of Kilmore, Rev. James CLARKE, Rev. . N. KEARNEY, Rev. S. KELLET, Rev. James DUNNE, Rev. F. TEEVAlN, Rev. P. O'Reilly, P.P., Drumlane; Dr. THOMSON, T.C., Belturbet; Mr. J. MAHAFFEY, T.C., Belturbet; Rev. R. LEECH, Mr. J. G. V. PORTER, Belleisle; Mr. WINSLOW, T.C., Belturbetr; Mr. NETTERFIELD, Mr. YAW, Mr. H. MEE, Mr. T. M'NALLY, Mr. T. CLARKE, Mr. E. GILBURN, Mr. J. KKENNEDY, Mr. T. SMALL, Mr. H. MOORE, Ulster Bank; Mr. W. MARTIN, Mr. J. FITZPATRICXK, Mr. J. T. MONTGOMERY, Mr. H. S. CLEMENGER, Mr. J. NAAN, Mr. JONES, &c.

HOME ENTERPRISE. - We understand that above 40,000 of Johnston's Civil Service Series of Books have been produced in Dublin during the present year. Last week A. THOM, Esq., the well-known Queen's printer, completed an order for 10,000 copies; and it is only a few weeks since the Dublin Steam Printing Company printed 22,000 of the same series.

SEIZURE OF DISEASED MEAT. - On Saturday, a quantity of beef was seized in the shamble yard, Portadown, by the sub-sanitary officer, Sergeant GRIMASON. He found it in the possession of a man named M'CANN. Believing it to be unfit for use, the sub-sanitary officer brought Dr. STEWART, the sanitary officer, to inspect it, when he condemned it as unfit for human food, and subsequently an order was made by Captain WHELAN, R.M., to have it destroyed.


The Lord Bishop of Kilmore instituted the Rev. Joseph KING, A.B., to the incumbency of Munterconnaught, on the 3rd inst., and the Rev. F. A. SANDERS, A.M., to the incumbency of Killersherdinny, on the 6th inst., both in the diocese of Kilmore; the incumbency of Killenvoy in the diocese of Elphin, and the incumbency of Templeport, in the diocese of Kilmore, have thus become vacant.

The Earl of Caledon has been elected one of the representative Peers of Ireland. This entitles his Lordship to a seat in the House of Lords for life.


While the people of this country are everywhere on the look out for the arrival of that much dreaded insect known as the Colorado beetle, another class of insects of a less destructive, though in some respects of a more disagreeable kind, has suddenly put in an appearance. A few days ago while Mr. Samuel LOGAN, late of Nebraska, U.S.A., was travelling in the vicinity of Kilroot he beheld a swarm of insects which appeared to him to resemble the mosquitoes he had been accustomed to see in America. He remained about the place for some time in order to gratify his curiosity when he found the insects composing the swarm to be real mosquitoes. One of the insects alighted on his hand and stung him severely. A little white blister followed as the result of the sting, and remained on his hand for many hours afterwards. The insects, he says, were exactly the same in size, shape, and colour as those he saw in America. A sea captain, who has often seen mosquitoes when abroad, corroborates Mr. Logan's statement as to such being in this neighbourhood at present, he having killed two of those insects in front of his dwelling-house a few mornings ago. How, or from whence they came remains to be discovered.


(Before Thos. THOMPSON and Wm. BABINGTON, Esqrs.)

Constable FILSON summoned John BRADY for being drunk and disorderly.

He was fined £1 1s and costs

Constable FEALY summoned James GAFFNEY for like.

He was fined 15s and costs.

Rose MULLIGAN summoned Mary REILLY for injuring a pass.

Referred to Mr. James JOHNSTON.

Andrew GALLIGAN summoned Thomas GALLIGAN for assaulting him.


Terence FAY summoned Patt BRADY for like.

Fined 6d and costs.

Owe M'CALL summoned Philip NEWMAN for trespass of goats.

Fined 2s

Sub-Constable ATWOOD summoned Hugh CUMMISKY for being drunk and assaulting him. He was sent to gaol for a month.


The usual weekly meeting of the Guardians was held on Tuesday last;

Edward KENNEDY, Esq., J.P., in the Chair.

Also present - Wm. A. MOORE, Esq., J.P.; and Messrs. Bernard GAFFNEY, John HOWE, Philip M'GIVNEY, Henry FARIS, James DUIGNAN, and James McCAFFREY.

A letter was read from the Local Government Board accepting Mr. BELL's (relieving officer) resignation, but stating that the auditor would likely object to paying him a month's salary under the circumstances.

Mr. W. A. Moore said he came there that day to protest against the public money being voted away in such a manner. There should be notice given to all the guardians when questions involving the payment of the rates were concerned. The Clerk, in reply to Mr. FARIS, said Bell was in their employment a fortnight of the time, his duties being performed the remainder of the time by the other relieving officer.

It was then decided that Bell was entitled to a fortnight's salary.

There were four tenders for sinking a well and erecting a pump in Arva - one at £76 7s. 6d., one at 65, one at £49, 7s 6d, and £45 6s.

The lowest tender, Mr. Terence BRADY's was accepted.

There was only one tender for the purchase of the old metal of Ballyhaise pump, Mr. HOWE at £2 a0s which was accepted.

A report from two inhabitants of Belturbet complaining of the danger to life and property likely to occur from the reckless manner in which a sewer is being constructed was referred to Dr. THOMSON, sanitary officer, to inspect and report thereon.

After signing the collector's warrants for the new rate, the Board adjourned.


The Board of Guardians of this Union met, as usual, on Friday last:

The Right Hon. the Earl of DARTREY in the Chair.

Also present - Lord CREMORNE, Wm. LESLIE, Esq., J.P.; Capt Thos. COOTE; Mr. James M'CULLAGH, Philip SMITH, Esq., J.P.; Sir Wm. Tyrone POWER, T. E. L. CLEMENTS, Esq., J.P.; R. N. RICHARDSON Esq., J.P.; Joseph CRAWFORD, Thos. MILLER, Edward RANSON, Wm. MAXWELL, Michael SMITH, John MURPHY, Thomas MAGORRY, John PRIMOSE, George DONELSON, John M'CABE, John RICE, Thomas LEARY, Pat DEVINE, Matthew DOUGHTY, James HALL, Francis LANCASHIRE, Joseph LESTER, Owen FOY, Thomas BOYLE, and Matthew SMITH.

The minutes of last meeting were read and signed, and the usual routine transacted, when the Board proceeded to elect a Medical Officer for the Workhouse, in room of the late Dr. WILLIAMS. There were three candidates, namely, Dr. H. MOORHEAD, Fortwilliam, Cootehill; Dr. O'REILLY, Cootehill; and Dr. DUNNE, Aghabog.

On the first division, the votes were as follows:-

For Moorhead, 13; O'Reilly, 12; Dunne, 8.

Dr. Dunne having retired, the division as as follows:

For Dr. Moorhead - Lord Cremorne, Wm. Leslie, C. Leslie, T. Coote, Jas. M'Cullagh, Sir T. Power, T. E. L. Clements, R. N. Richardson, Jas. Crawford, Thos. Millar, Edward Ranson, John Murphy, John Primrose, Geo. Donelson, Thos. Leary, Jas. Hall,

Francis Lancashsire, Jas. Lester, Thos. Boyle - 19.

For Dr. O'Reilly - Wm. Maxwell, Michael Smith, Thos. Magorry, John M'Cabe, John Rice, Patrick Devine, Matthew Doughty, Owen Foy, Matthew Smith, Edwards Smith, Philip Smith, James H. Fay - 12.

Dr. Moorhead was accordingly elected.

November 16. 1877


GLOSTER - Nov. 9, Colonel Edward T. Gloster, formerly of the 38th Regiment, and lately commanding 7th and 46th Brigade Depot.

GOSSELIN - On the 13th Sept., killed in action with hostile Indians, in North-West America, Francis John Gosselin, youngest son of the late Thomas Gosselin, Esq., of Lismoy, co. Longford.

LITTON - Nov. 14, at his residence Ardaviling, county Cork, John Litton, Esq., J.P., aged 85, deservedly beloved and respected. Funeral will leave his Dublin residence, 26, Leeson-street, on Tuesday, 20th, at 9 o'clock, a.m.

Mr. R.PHELAN, Sergeant-at-Mace to the Waterford Corporation, was accidentally drowned in the river opposite the Quay on Saturday night. Deceased a few minutes before the melancholy accident was engaged in the discharge of official duties.


The Rev. Robert M. MORRISON, of Rathkeale; has been invited to succeed the Rev. Henry BALL, as Superintendent of the Cootehill Circuit at next Conference.

ULSTER BANKING COMPANY. - Mr. Robert REEVES MATHEWS, who has been for some time past accountant in the Cavan branch of the Ulster Banking Company, has been promoted by the directors as cashier to the company's branch at Arva.

Mr. Thomas REVINGTON, of Limerick, has contributed £1,000 towards the repairs and alterations of the various churches in the city of Limerick.


(Before Edward KENNEDY, Esq., J.P.)

The usual fortnightly Court was held on Wednesday.

A number of persons were charged with drunkenness.

His worship inflicted fines of 2s 6d or 5s in each case.

Two men named SMITH and M'NALLY were charged with obscene language.

Fined 5s each and costs.

There was a cross case which was dismissed.

John RAHILL was summoned for abusive language towards Mr. James GALLIGAN. Fined 6s and costs.

Mr. HUTHCINSON, S.I., said the great November fair passed off quietly.

At the recent Diocesan Synod of Clonfert and Kilmacduagh, Mr. Thomas S. EYRE, Synodsman for the parish of Kiltormer, was declared not qualified to sit or vote, because the parish which he represented had not paid its contribution to the diocesan Expense Fund. Mr. Eyre offered to guarantee the amount claimed; but the Synod required to be paid at once. Mr. Eyre declined to do this; and withdrew.


A most scandalous case, which every effort has been made to hush up has just come before Mr. KELLY, Q.C. (a Roman Catholic), chairman of Longford Land Sessions. The circumstances briefly stated are these: A man of the name of James DALTON claimed from Mr. King HARMAN, M.P. (a Home Ruler), heavy damages for what he represented as an unjust eviction from his farm. To this it was replied that K. Harman did not acknowledge him as a tenant, he having unfairly got possession of his (Dalton's) deceased brother's farm. This brother died rich, but as he did not leave a farthing to his widow and six orphan children, a strong suspicion arose that the will had been fraudulently obtained. And so it turned out. It seems that the will was written by the Rev. Patrick FITZGERALD, parish priest of Logan, who bequeathed £200 to himself for the saying of two masses! And other clergymen derive similar benefit. We do not wonder that his worship - a Roman Catholic remember - was obliged to declare that "he never witnessed so palpable a fraud. It was evident the man was incapable of making a will. No spiritual adviser should become a legatee, and write a will; no solicitor who writes a will should be named as a legatee - and he would take care, before giving judgment, to have the widow and her children present, for the purpose of considering their claims. The will could be impeached - it was not worth one farthing." The case stands adjourned to next sessions; but even in its present stage it affords a peep into the inner recesses of Popery which, revolting as it is, may, we trust, help to open the eyes of careless Protestants. - Rock.

November 23, 1877


O'DONNELL and MORROW - November 15th, at the Church of the Three Patrons, Rathgar, by the Rev. Father DENNAN, C.C., Michael O'Donnell, eldest son of James O'Donnell, Cavan, to Marian, only daughter of the late Patrick Morrow, Rathgar.

REYNOLDS and KENNEDY - November 21st, at St. Francis Xavier's Church, Upper Gardiner street, Dublin, by the Rev. Edward SHERIDAN, Adm., assisted by the Rev. Canon REYNOLDS, P.P., and the Ven. Archdeacon MAGENISS P.P., Lawrence P. Reynolds Esq., J.P., Dalystown House, Longford, to Rose Mary, only daughter of Edward Kennedy, Esq., J.P., Cavan.


JOHNSTON - Nov. 17, at her residence, Corrineary, Arva, Isabella, the beloved wife of Thomas Johnston, and daughter of Robert GRIER, Corrineary, Arva, aged 36 years.


ROYAL IRISH CONSTABULARY. - Col. HILLIER, Inspector-General, has, on the recommendation of County-Inspector HEATH, and Sub-Inspector DAVIES, been pleased to promote Acting Constable Humphrey TILSON, of Mullingar, to the rank and pay of constable, dating from the 1st inst. Constable Tilson is youngest son of Mr. Wm. Tilson, Derryheen, Cavan.


The following have been nominated for the office of Sheriff of Cavan for 1878: - Colonel Samuel MOORE, Dublin; Edward SMITH, Esq., Bellamont Forest; and John WINTER HUMPHRYS, Esq., Ballyhaise.


On Saturday evening a farmer named YOUNG was seriously beaten as he was leaving Crossdoney on his way home to Drumgoon, near Killeshandra. Three men - Michael BERRY, sen., Michael BERRY, jun., and Thomas BRADY have been identified and committed to gaol. Young is progressing towards recovery.


The usual weekly meeting of the Guardians was held on Tuesday last: Thos. F. KNIPE, Esq., J.P., in the Chair.

Also present - Messrs. W. A. F. FORSTER, and L. LEE.

A letter was read from the Local Government Board requesting to know the informality in the appointment of Mr. M'CABE as a member of Killeshandra Dispensary Committee.

The Clerk said the motion was put without being seconded.

Another letter was read from the Poor Law Inquiry Commissioners informing the Guardians that they would attend at the Board Room of Cavan Workhouse, at eleven o'clock on Tuesday, the 11th of December next, for the purpose of enquiring into the proposed amalgamation of unions.

After admitting a few papers the Board adjourned.


As John LEDDY and Luke SMITH were returning home from Crossdoney fair on Saturday evening last, they were attacked at Lacken Bridge by a party of six men and severely beaten with sticks.

Smith ran away. Upon returning some time afterwards he found Leddy's hat and stick lying on the roadside. Leddy's body was found this Friday evening in the river close by. When found he had six Sovereigns in his pocket. He bears the mark of a severe wound on his head.

Smith cannot identify any of the parties. Leddy has been in America for several years, and since his return dealt in cattle.

An inquest will be held tomorrow.


It is with unfeigned regret that we announce this morning the death of Mr. Roderick GORMLY, who for many years past conducted the business of an auctioneer in Strabane. Naturally of a strong, robust constitution, Mr. Gormly enjoyed good health during the greater park of his lifetime, and it was only in the early part of last summer that he complained for the first time of serious indisposition. Acting then on the advice of his immediate relatives, he placed himself under the care of an eminent Dublin physician, who informed him that he was suffering from heart disease. He subsequently returned to Strabane, and after stopping there for some time he took lodgings at Moville, in the hope that the sea-breeze would strengthen and improve his physical system. In this respect he was disappointed. The disease which he suffered gradually developed itself, and on Monday last he passed away from this life in presence of his family and a number of sorrowing relatives. During his lengthened residence in Strabane Mr. Gormly filled several public offices with the utmost satisfaction to his fellow-townsmen. As a member of the Board of Guardians the ratepayers of the Glenmornan division found in him an attentive and intelligent representative, and in his official capacity as manager of the Strabane Steamboat Company, he gained the confidence and esteem of the shareholders, the merchants of the town, and the general public. But it was as an auctioneer, of long and respectable standing, that Mr. Gormly was best known. With the farmers and business men of County Tyrone he was deservedly popular. In every relation of life his obliging and courteous demeanour enlisted public favour on his side. He was at all times an attached and warm friend, an agreeable and genial companion, and an honourable and straightforward man of business. From the fruits of his long years of honest industry the members of his family are left in comfortable circumstances, and he has also bequeathed them an equally valuable inheritance

in his spotless name. - Derry Journal.

(Mr. Gormly was father-in-law of Mr. John M'MAHON of Cavan.)

November 30, 1877


BROWN - Nov. 25, at Knockfield, Castledermot, Maggie, relict of the late Nicholas Brown, Esq., and second daughter of the Rev. James CARSON, Cavan, aged 23 years.

LEE - Nov. 26, at his residence, Drumhillagh, Stradone, Mr. John Lee, in the 68th year of his age, deeply regretted by a numerous circle of friends.

WILLIAMS - Nov. 29, at 7, Leeson-park-avenue, Dublin, Matilda Catherine, wife of John Williams, Esq., and youngest daughter of the late Francis FINLAY, Cootehill.



Mr. BERRY, coroner, held an inquest on Saturday, at Lacken, on the body of John LEDDY, whose body had been found in the river the previous evening.

A number of witnesses were examined, but their evidence threw little light on the subject.

The jury returned the following verdict:- "We find that John Leddy came to his death from a lacerated wound over his right temple, and from the evidence produced, we cannot say how or by whom it was inflicted; and we further find that his body was found in the Lacken river, on the Corlismore side, on the 23rd November, 1877, by the police and others, but how it came there, we have no evidence to show."

Four men have been arrested on suspicion.


On Monday evening a man named John REILLY was waylaid as he was leaving Bailieboro' on his way home. During the affray one of the fellows stabbed him in the neck with a bayonet. He lingered until two o'clock on Thursday, when death put an end to his sufferings. Two men have been arrested.


The annual meeting of the Primitive Wesleyan Methodist Home Missionary Society, was held in Wesley-street ,Cavan, on Friday, the 23rd inst. The attendance was the largest we have seen for many years. After singing and prayer, Matthew LOUGH, Esq., took the chair. The meeting was then addressed by the Revds. G. COULTER, W. C. DOONAN, and Dr. GRIFFIN. After the addresses a collection was taken up, which was very liberal. The proceedings were interesting, and the addresses calculated to do good.


(Before the Hon. Judge MILLER.)

In the matter of Richard Egan.

The bankrupt carried on business at Cootehill. The meeting was for the examination of witnesses. The interest o the bankrupt in the house in which he carried on business was set up to auction on the 16th of November, but it was alleged that in consequence of Mr. Henry COONEY, the landlord, having stated publicly that he would serve the purchaser with a notice to quit before leaving the room, the sale was a failure.

Mr. George GRAHAM, auctioneer, was examined by Mr. CARTON, Q.C., instructed by Mr. CRAIG.

Mr. Cooney was also examined, and stated that what he said was that he would serve a notice to quit at the termination of the period for which the bankrupt held the premises. Mr. M'GOUGH appeared for Mr. Cooney.

Mr. Carton asked that his lordship should issue an attachment against Mr. Cooney for contempt of court.

Judge Miller commented on the conduct of Mr. Cooney in making the statement in question, and added that in another case he had sent a person to gaol for similar conduct. He said he would issue an attachment, but not to be acted on till further order. Before the case was ended Mr. Cooney would have to pay the cost to which the assignees had been put.

DUBLIN MUNICIPAL ELECTIONS. - The elections in the two contested wards - Mountjoy and South City - to fill the vacancies in the Dublin Town Council, caused by the usual annual retirements, took place on Monday. In both instances the

Conservative candidates succeeded in heading the poll, despite the strenuous endeavours of prominent members of the Liberal party. The gentlemen returned were - In Mountjoy Ward Mr. J. B. JOHNSON (Conservative); and in the South City Ward R. G. DURDIN, solicitor (Conservative). There was no contest in the other wards. There is still one vacancy to be filled in the North Dock Ward, owing to the election of Councillor MEAGHER to the aldermanship. It will be held in fourteen days.


In reference to the murder of the late James M'DONAGH, Petty Sessions Clerk, notices were served on Monday, under the Peace Preservation Act, stating that, as the abovenamed gentleman was murdered in the barony of Dunsmore, his representatives have sustained a loss or damage of three thousand pounds, which Mary M'Donagh, administratrix, and Andrew M'Donagh, next of kin, claim as compensation, and that they will apply to the Grand Jury of Galway, at the next assizes, for a presentment for the above sum. The ratepayers will oppose the application. Up to the present no arrests have been made.


On Tuesday two cattle dealers from Waterford traveled in the same train to Newpallas fair. It appears that some old grudge exited between them. They met at Newpallas fair and the altercation was renewed, when one of the disputants drew a large knife and stabbed his antagonist so that his bowels protruded in a shocking manner. The affair soon attracted a large crowd, and the user of the knife was nearly paying the penalty with his life at the hands of the populace, who were highly incensed at the atrocious act. In the meantime some of the local police force came up and took WHELAN, the aggressor, into custody. The injured man is so dreadfully injured that all hopes of saving his life have been given up.


Killarney, Saturday.

It is rumoured, and I believe with truth, that John HEFFERNAN, one of the three prisoners in custody for the alleged double murder of Julia and Mary CLIFFORD, mother and daughter, at Dromin, near Killorglin, on the 4th inst., has become approver against the other two prisoners, John and Denis MANGAN, father and son. The three prisoners are still detained in custody in the Killarney bridewell, where they have been committed by Mr. BODKIN, R.M., pending additional evidence being obtained.

Since their arrest near Killorglin by Sub-Inspector LOPDELL and Head-Constable DOHERTY, the three prisoners, especially the two Mangans, have keenly felt their sad position. It is not yet know when the magisterial inquiry will take place, but it is strongly surmised that the accused will be returned for trial to the winter assizes in the Munster circuit, in Cork, next month.


A new Female Orange Lodge has been successfully opened in Preston at St. Thomas's Schools, called the Prince Rupert Lodge," and promises rapidly to become a flourishing branch of the association. - Daily Express.


One or two reports having gained currency to the effect that Lord FITZGIBBON, who was supposed to have been killed in the Balaclava charge, had returned to England, he not having been shot dead, but taken prisoner, and, for an assault on a Russian officer, sent to Siberia. It has also been stated that since his return he had paid a visit to the Hounslow Barracks, where his regiment, the 8th Hussars, is stationed, and that Colonel MUSSENDEN and Quartermaster-Sergeant-Major HEFFERON (formerly Lord Fitzgibbon's servant) had identified him. This week inquiries have been made as to the truth of the statement relating to the visit to the barracks, and the reply was that no person representing himself as heir to the title of Lord Clare had been there. Moreover, Quartermaster-Sergeant-Major Hefferon and the late Trumpet-Major GRAY, who were in the C troop of the 8th Hussars when Lord Fitzgibbon took the place of Lord CARDIGAN's aide de camp (Captain LOCKWOOD), and led the troops down to the ever memorialcharge, say they were close to him when, not long after the commencement of the charge, they saw him struck in the chest almost at the same moment by two bullets; and they distinctly recollect his losing hold of his sword (which was prevented from falling to the ground by a strap which secured it to his arm), violently clasping his arms on his breast, and crying out - "Oh, my god, my God, I'm shot!" With what they believe to have been his dying breath, he exhorted his men not to linger, saying to them, "Go on." Thus everyone believed him to have died the death of a hero. He had ?25 in cash, which was part of ?50 served out on the morning of the charge for the C troop. It may be added that when the soldiers came back, Trumpet-Major Gray and several others searched for his body, but it was never found. If Lord Fitzgibbon is really in this country, as alleged, the officers and men of the 8th Hussars who knew him wish to know why he has been so backward in calling upon them.

PIERCE NAGLE, THE FENIAN SPY. - It is not easy to determine the stage at which a secret conspiracy can be most effectually struck. A singular incident showed the authorities in Dublin Castle that they had not many moments to lose. On the machine room staff of the Irish People was a man named Pierce Nagle, a great favourite and confidential agent or courier, of Mr. Stephens. For more than a year Nagle had been in the secret pay of the Government, and was supplying daily information against the Fenian chiefs. One day an envoy arrived from the South Tipperary B's, and received from Mr. Stephens a despatch of the utmost secrecy and importance, with which he was to return instantly to Clonmel. The missive he bore was to be read for the centres there, and then destroyed. The envoy got rather overpowered with "refreshment" in the afternoon, and went to sleep on a bench in the machine-room. Nagle, coming in, saw him, and rightly guessed he was likely to have received some important letter from "the Captain." He quietly turned the pockets of the sleeper inside out, and took from him the previous document. Some days elapsed before he was able to find an opportunity for safely handing it over to the police. Once in their possession, the importance of that missive was fully recognised. Before many hours it was in the council chamber of Dublin Castle. A glance at its contents showed Lord WODEHOUSE that he must strike without further hesitation, which he did. - New Ireland.

County Cavan Newspaper Transcription Project

Ireland Home Page
County Cavan

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.