Cavan Observer
Published in Cavan, county Cavan

September 3, 1864


OMAGH, MONDAY, AUGUST 29--On Saturday evening last a most diabolical and outrageous assault was committed on Mr. M'CROSSAN, the well-known solicitor of this town, which, unhappily, terminated fatally this morning about five o'clock. The following are the facts connected with the melancholy event:--It may be remembered at the last assizes in this town Mr. M'CROSSAN was solicitor for the plaintiff in the case of DOYLE against M'LOUGHLIN, coach-builder. It was the only record at last assizes. A verdict of £8 damages and 6d costs was found for the plaintiff. M'LOUGHLIN, the defendant, not paying the damages and costs, an execution was brought against him, and the Sub-Sheriff, Mr. Charles M'CROSSAN (brother of the deceased), was on Saturday last about to proceed with the execution. M'Loughlin resisted, and had his place, which is situated in Castle-street, Omagh, shut upon against the approach of the sheriff and his bailiffs. The sheriff, seeing that resistance was offered, sought the advice of his brother, the deceased, who had been engaged all day at business in his own office up till that hour, 6 o'clock, p.m. He then went to give his advice, and, while speaking to the Sub-Sheriff in the street, at M'Loughlin's house, an iron rod five feet eight inches in length, having a hook with a barb at the point, was thrust out of the window of the second storey, and plunged into the throat of Mr. M'Crossan, lifting him off the ground and inflicting a dreadful wound. The blood gushed out in profusion, and Mr. M'Crossan was about to fall on the ground when he was caught by his brother, the Sheriff, and assisted to a chair. He became weak and almost unconscious, and asked for Dr. MAXWELL, who, we understand, is the family physician. That gentleman being at the time in Dublin, messengers were despatched in all haste for Drs. FLEMING and THOMPSON, both of whom were unfortunately out of town on professional duty. They were, however, soon on the spot, and applied all the skill which medical aid could devise. During the night, and up to Sunday afternoon, some hopes, though faint, were entertained of his recovery; and about one o'clock, p.m., he was observed to go off in a faint, and a change for the worst set in, and became more serious, until he finally expired after intense suffering, at five o'clock this (Monday) morning. A report of the brutal outrage was at once conveyed to the constabulary, three of whom were quickly at the scene of the unfortunate occurrence. Constable M'CAUGHAN immediately ascended the window, forced his way into the house, and arrested M'Loughlin. The courage and daring of the constable is most commendable.......Lest a mistaken notion should unhappily prevail in places at a distance, it may be, perhaps, well to mention that no religious animosity existed between the parties originally concerned in the frivolous case which has been brought to so tragic and unfortunate an end, both DOYLE and M'LOUGHLIN being Roman Catholic, and merely rivals in trade as coach-builders. An inquest on the body of the deceased was held today.


Sir Henry John BROWNRIGG, C.B., Inspector General, has directed the following transfers of officers, viz:--

Edward COFFEY, Esq., Sub Inspector, from Tubbercorry, county of Sligo, to Robertstown, county of Kildare, from 1st August.

Edward CHURCH, Esq., Sub Inspector, from Headford, county Galway, to Tubbercorry, county of Sligo, from 1st August.

Joseph C. MAGUIRE, Esq., Sub Inspector, from the depot, Phoenix Park, to Portadown, county of Armagh, from 1st August.

Pryce PEACOCK, Esq., Sub Inspector, from Baltinglass, county of Wicklow, to Headford, county of Galway, from 1st September.

William Henry SCOTT, Esq., Sub Inspector, from Castleisland, county of Kerry, to Longwood, county of Meath, from 1st September.

John W. CHANNER, Esq., Sub Inspector, from the city of Cork to the city of Limerick, from 1st September.

Thomas HAMILTON, Esq., Sub Inspector, from Limerick city, from 1st September.

George MAXWELL, Esq., Sub Inspector, from the depot, Phoenix Park, to Ballymahoa, county of Longford, from 1st September.


(Before Theophilus Thompson, Esq.)

Susan FARRELLY summoned Farrel REILLY and Sarah REILLY, his wife, for assaulting her. The defendants had a cross case against Farrelly for stealing a petticoat. Farrelly deposed that Reilly and his wife came to her house about seven o'clock in the evening; Reilly caught hold of her, and ordered her to 'give up'. Himself and his wife shook her violently, and he finally struck her on the forehead with a stick.

Reilly denied the assault. He said they had lost some clothes off a hedge, and his wife had seen her petticoat on Farrelly; they went to her to demand it. He did not strike her with a stick....

Mr. Thompson said that as the evidence was so contradictory, he would dismiss both cases.

A lunatic named RONAN was charged by the Guardians of Cavan Union with assaulting a pauper in the Workhouse by biting him on the face. The offence being proved, Ronan was committed for trial at the Quarter Sessions.

Owen CALLAGHAN summoned Mary M'GAURAN for trespass committed on his land by defendant's pigs and ducks. The trespass being proved, the defendant was ordered to pay 1s 4d and costs.

There were a few other cases disposed of which were not of any importance, after which the court rose.

DANGEROUS ASSAULT IN LEITRIM--On last Monday evening two men named John CUNIFFE and William KINDRICK met casually in the public house of a man named WALDRON, in Ballyhainis, and after having some drink together, a quarrel arose between them, when Kindrick knocked down Cuniffe with a blow of his clenched hand, and when down beat him in a brutal manner with a stick, inflicting such severe wounds on his head that the doctor who was called on to visit him pronounced his life to be in danger. Kindrick was promptly arrested by the constabulary, and brought before R. J. O'GRADY, Esq., who remanded him until it is known how the injuries sustained by Cuniffe may eventuate.


August 21, at 5 Leinster-street, Dublin, the Lady Fanny LAMBART, of a daughter.


On Saturday we announced the decease, in the General Hospital. of John MILLIKEN and Neal FEGAN, shot during the recent riots, and we have this morning to swell the list of casualties by recording the death of John GORDON (sic), who was shot at Millfield, on Tuesday, the 16th instant, and died in the General Hospital on Saturday morning, from tetanus, the result of a bullet wound in the thigh. This is the ninth reported death arising from the riots, and it is feared others must follow. The following is a full list of the already fatal cases, so far as we have heard:--

Alexander M'KEE--Shot at St. Malchy's Chapel (Protestant).

Neal FEGAN, Berry-street--Shot at Thompson's Bank (Roman Catholic).

John MURDOCK, Stanley street-Shot at Albert street Place (Protestant).

John MILLIKEN, Brown square--Shot in Brown street (Protestant).

John GORMAN, Union street-Shot in Millfield (Roman Catholic).

Robert DAVIDSON, Durham street-Shot in Durham street (Protestant).

John M'CONNELL, Durham street-Shot in Durham street (Protestant).

Francis HEYBURN, Millford street-Shot in Millfield (Roman Catholic).

James HALLIDAY, Smithfield--Shot in Millfield (Roman Catholic).

On Saturday, immediate after the inquest, the remains of Neal FEGAN were taken to Friar's Bush graveyard for interment. The funeral, at the express request of the Roman Catholic clergymen, consisted of only the immediate relatives and friends of the deceased; and a similar statement may be made with respect to the funeral of John GORMAN, which took place at the same cemetery yesterday (Sunday). In the course of the funeral of John MILLIKEN, which took place from his late residence in Brown square, at three o'clock yesterday, the remains of the deceased were followed to Shankill graveyard by an immense number of people--at least 5,000--the great majority of whom walked in procession, four abreast. There was no disorder whatever, and the route of the procession was through an entirely Protestant district...

September 10, 1864

Mr. J. T. POTTS, Esq., of Runnymede, Ahascragh, has been sworn in a magistrate for the county of Galway. This is an excellent appointment and affords general satisfaction.--ROSCOMMON GAZETTE

DREADFUL MURDER OF A WIFE AND SUICIDE OF THE MURDERER--On last Friday, Mr. William HUDSON, a respectable farmer residing at Ballybane, near Loughrea, while in a state of temporary insanity, made a murderous attack with a razor on his wife, Susan HUDSON. He has for some time entertained feelings of jealousy. He made the first attack on the unfortunate woman in his own house, but did not succeed in his fell design, and she escaped into the garden, where, however, he followed her and murdered her on the spot by cutting her throat with the razor, and immediately after committed suicide by cutting his own throat with the same razor. A shocking ghastly sight then presented itself in the garden where the murdered wife and wretched suicide lay side by side, weliering (sic) in their blood.--IRISH TIMES.

THREATENING NOTICE--Monday morning last, a notice was found posted near the house of a farmer, named CLEARY, within three miles of Tullamore (King's County), threatening with death any person who would take the farm which the said Cleary had held under Sir Charles COOTE, Bart.

ASSAULT ON A BAILIFF--On Saturday night last as James KEON, a water bailiff on Lough Erne, was watching a quantity of flax which was illegally steeping in the lake at Bow Island, with a view of discovering the owners, for the purpose of prosecuting them under the fishery law, he was approached and set upon by four or five unprincipled ruffians, who knocked him down, and while lying beat him most unmercifully, inflicting injuries on the poor man so as to endanger his life. Keon was immediately brought home, and a doctor sent for, who pronounced him in a weak state. The sub-inspector of constabulary at Kesh, with his party, proceeded at once to the Island, although late at night, and succeeded in arresting two of the party, named GALLAGHER and THOMAS, whom Keon identified as two of his assailants. The police are actively engaged endeavouring to arrest the others.


(Before Wm. Babington, and Wm. Humphrys, Esqrs.)

Constable HUSTON v. Pat FLANAGAN, and Bernard M'MANUS

The complaint was as follows:--FLANAGAN and M'MANUS, with others, were going on a car from the town of Ballyhaise, on the previous day (Sunday); when a short distance out of the town, Flanagan got off the car. and came towards a young man named William BROWN and others who were standing on the side of the road. On Flanagan going up, he addressed Brown, saying, "How is a mason rejected?" Brown replied that he did not know anything about it. Flanagan then took from his breast a pistol and pointed it at Brown. Brown, fearing that he would do him some harm, arose and put his arms round him, and called to another young man named W. ARGUE to take the pistol from him, but he failed to do so. A scuffle then ensued between Brown and Flanagan, when the former succeeded in taking the barrel of the pistol from him, which was separated from the stock in the scuffle.

The pistol was produced in court, and appeared to be loaded.

The magistrates ordered informations to be taken against Flanagan, who was admitted to bail, to stand his trial at the next Quarter Sessions. M'Manus was discharged.


James BRADY summoned James SMITH for absconding from his service. The defendant did not appear.

The service of the summons being proved, and the complainant having deposed to the fact of his leaving his service, Smith was fined 10s or in default to be imprisoned for a fortnight.

After disposing of a few county cess cases, the court rose.

September 17, 1864

THE USE OF THE KNIFE IN CAVAN--At the Petty Sessions on Monday, a man named Patrick NOLAN, who had been in the employment of the Irish North Western Railway Company as night-watchman at the Belturbet Junction station, was charged with stabbing a labourer named BEGGAN, who had also been employed on the railway. It appears they had been drinking together in the town of Redhills, which is only a short distance from the station and quarrelled on their way home. After this quarrel, however, they parted good friends; but in course of the same evening they met again, and the quarrel was renewed, when Nolan drew a knife and stabbed Beggan in the head and in the back. Beggan has since been under treatment in the County Infirmary, and is now pronounced out of danger. Nolan was admitted to bail, to stand his trial at the Quarter Sessions.

DARING OUTRAGE NEAR OLDCASTLE, CO. MEATH--On Sunday night last an outrage, of a malicious nature, was perpetrated on a farmer and his family, named RYAN, residing at a place called Belleek. Ryan and his wife retired to rest, but his two sons and daughter were sitting together at the fire, when a man entered the house and called for a light for his pipe, to which they replied he could and welcome. He then struck a match (which we suspect to be the signal agreed on by these midnight ruffians) for he had scarcely done so when one of Ryan's sons, named Thomas, was knocked down by one of the fellows with a loaded whip, and inflicting on him severe bodily injury, cutting his head in several places. His brother and sister, who screamed aloud, endeavouring at the same time to save him from further injury, were also severely beaten. When Ryan and his wife heard the noise from where they were sleeping, they entered the kitchen, and the old man was knocked down and received a similar treatment, and his wife also, although feeble, was badly used when endeavouring to save her husband. The party (consisting of eight with blackened faces) then made off. The police of the different stations are actively engaged endeavouring to discover the perpetrators of this daring outrage for which the Ryans say they can assign no cause. They say that they don't know any of the party who treated them in such an inhuman manner.....


(Before Theophilus Thompson, William Humphrys and William Babington, Esqrs.)


Thomas M'KEON summoned James REEHILL for an assault. The case had been postponed on a previous day in consequence of the complainant being unable to attend....

Thomas M'KEON examined by Mr. M'Gauran--Lives in Ballanacarry; on the 18th of August last was lifting flax off the spread, and drawing it with a horse and cart; was passing by a meadow where REEHILL was mowing; on coming up to him bid him "the time of the day;" he replied that he would not allow any one to speak to him who had threatened to break his bones; I said I had never threatened to do so; he then jumped out on the road and struck at me with his fist; I warded off the blow as best I could; he then kicked me....In about an hour I began to feel the effects of the kicks.......

The Bench ordered Reehill to pay a fine of 10s and costs.


Patrick NOLAN was charged with stabbing James BEGGAN on the 4th of September.....Beggan deposed that on the 4th of September he and Nolan were in the town of Redhills where they both had some drink, and quarrelled on their way home. In the evening, after they returned home, he (Beggan) was passing the house of John FITZSIMONS where Nolan lodged; Nolan was standing in the door when he came up; he shouted "Come on, Beggan;" on coming up to him saw a knife in his hand; struck at him with a stick to safe himself, whereupon Nolan stabbed him.....Mr. M'Gauran asked the Bench to deal summarily with the case, as Nolan was a stranger, and he feared he would not be able to procure bail.

Mr. Thompson said that under the circumstances they could not dispose of the case summarily. Nolan would be admitted to stand his trail at the Quarter Session.


Owen CALLAGHAN summoned Mary NEWMAN for trespass committed on his meadow by defendant's pigs and fowl. The trespass was proved, and the defendant was ordered to pay 1s. 10d and costs.

The Court then rose.

NOVEL IMPORTATION--The barque Isabella, from St. John's, New Brunswick, which arrived in our port on Monday, has on board two young bears, which caused great amusement by climbing over the rigging. One of these passengers jumped overboard, and was only recovered after some trouble. He seemed to enjoy himself vastly while in the water.--DERRY SENTINEL.

THE DIFFERENCE--What is the difference between the English and the American soldier? One fights for the crown and the other for the dollar.--THE ARROW.

September 24, 1864

ANOTHER CASE OF STABBING--This week we have to record another case in which for some trifling provocation the knife has been brought into requisition. On Sunday last two boys named respectively RYAN and M'CANN, had some slight quarrel in Bridge-street, when RYAN drew a knife and stabbed M'CANN in the thigh inflicting a dangerous wound. M'Cann is since under treatment in the infirmary. Ryan is in custody.

SUDDEN DEATH--Mr. Edward FINLAY, porter in the Cavan Union Workhouse, died very suddenly on Thursday night. He was in his usual health on Wednesday, and attended to his business as usual, but about twelve o'clock on Wednesday night he took suddenly ill, and although medical aid was called in, he expired on the following night. Deceased held the situation of porter in the Cavan Workhouse for the last 18 years, and was generally respected as an efficient officer.

DESPERATE AGRARIAN OUTRAGE IN LEITRIM--About the hour of two o'clock on Tuesday morning the 20 instant, a desperate and daring attack was made on the house of a farmer named Michael M'KEON, residing in the townland of Adoon, near Mohill, by an armed party numbering about 20. It would seem that the attack was not altogether unexpected,as M'Keon appears to have been in some measure prepared to resist it, and did so bravely, assisted by his own son, Patrick, but they were overpowered by numbers. The attacking party commenced by firing shots, one of which pierced the door. They then smashed all the windows in the house, and ultimately forced in the door, when they were met by M'Keon and his son, who were armed with pitchforks, which they used effectively for some time, but at length to retreat to a room, where they informed their assailant; they would sell their lives dearly. The fellows then took up a large turn creel, and with this as a shield against the pitchforks, forced their way into the room and overcame the M'Keons, whom they beat very badly. During the conflict, M'Keon asked frequently why he was thus assailed, and he was told that it was for taking a certain farm which a man named Daniel DONNELLY had give up in consequence of the rent having been raised, and which was afterwards taken by him. This lawless party then administered an oath to M'Keon on a book that he would give up the farm and have no more to do with it although he had paid a fine on getting possession, and went away promising that if the unlawful oath they had forced the man to take were not strictly observed, their next visit would be to murder him. Three men were subsequently arrested on suspicion, and a preliminary investigation of the case was made before Mr. JONES, J.P., but the M'Keons failed to identify the men accused or threw much light on the matter. Two of the men were discharged, and the third, against whom suspicion was strongest, was remanded for future examination.


(Before William Babington, Esq., J.P.)


Bernard WALLS summoned George BRADY for trespass committed by defendant's house on a field belonging to complainant, on the 10th and 12th September. Mr. Walls' herd proved the trespass, and the defendant was fined 1s and costs.


Thomas KEMP summoned Owen GALLIGAN for an assault. Galligan had a cross case against Kemp for a quarter's wages, he having discharged him from his service without sufficient cause. It appeared that on the previous Friday the parties were at dinner in Kemp's house, Galligan being Kemp's servant boy, Kemp was eating meat, and Galligan, being a Roman Catholic was taking some other food. Kemp held over a piece of the meat towards Galligan in a taunting manner and said "Is not that a nice bit of meat." Galligan struck away Kemp's hand which held the meat, and told him to keep it to himself. On the next morning about 5 o'clock Kemp came to the bed where Galligan was sleeping, pulled him out of bed, and ordered him to go and let out the cows. Gallagan made some delay in dressing himself, and Kemp took him by the shoulder and told him to go about his business. Kemp now summoned Galligan for assaulting him at the dinner table, and Galligan sued for his quarter's wages.

His Worship on hearing both cases, dismissed the case of assault, and censured Kemp for his conduct at the dinner table.....He ordered Kemp to pay Galligan the wages for the time which he had been with him, together with all costs.

William MOORE v. George HUMPHRYS and John HUMPHRYS

This was an action for that the defendant on the 15th September did unlawfully carry away a quantity of oats, the property of complainant....His Worship decided that he had no jurisdiction in the case, while an ejectment was pending as to the possession of the land.

Robert ERSKINE v. Patrick BEATTY

This was a civil bill to recover 3s balance of the rent of a house, held by defendant from complainant....Thomas DORAN deposed to the fact of having let the house to defendant, who paid him a week's rent in advance, but did not afterwards pay him any rent for a fortnight. At the time of his leaving the house there were two weeks' rent due, Doran produced his rent-book...The defendant swore that on taking the house he had paid a week's rent in advance, and at the expiration of the first week he paid again, so that there was always a week's rent paid. He had offered the key to Doran at the end of a week, but he refused to take it for two days more, and he wanted to make him pay a week of rent for those two days.

The case was dismissed.

Mary KIERNAN, Mary Anne BOYLAN, Mary CONNOLLY and Eliza WHITE were summoned by the Cavan Town Commissioners for trespassing and causing an obstruction, by having huts erected on the fair-green.

The Town Sergeant deposed to the fact of having warned the women several times to remove their huts, but they had always neglected to do so. There were ordered to pay a fine of 5s each, or to be imprisoned for a week. They asked to be allowed a week to pay the fines, which was granted.

The Court then rose.




There were six applicants for the office of Town Sergeant, only two of whom were proposed. It was proposed by Mr. CAFFREY, and seconded by Mr. J. GANNON, that James M'KEON be appointed. Proposed by Mr. Anderson, seconded by Mr. Henry DOUGLAS, that John DOGHERTY be appointed. A poll was taken and there appeared for M'Keon 5 votes--for Dogherty, 2

DREADFUL ACCIDENT IN BALFAST LOUGH--FOUR LIVES LOST--RESCUE OF A FIFTH--We regret to record the particulars of a dreadful boat accident which occurred in Belfast Lough on Saturday, resulting in the drowning of four men and the rescue of a fifth from a similar fate. It appears that six men, belonging to the Clonard Print Works, who had been working for some days last week at a place called Claddy, between Crumlin and Templepatrick, engaged a yacht, at Whitehouse, and went out in her early on Saturday morning for a day's fishing in the Lough. The names of the parties were William DUNWOODIE, Alexander ROBB, James ALGIE, William STEPHENSON, Thomas MAKEPEACE, Jas. HARVEY, and Hugh M'CARTNEY, of Whitehouse, to whom the boat belonged....It was about two o'clock, and a very severe gale set in. The yacht was sailing steadily forward when the gale overtook her, and threw her on her side. She filled with water and immediately wend down. The Coastguard at Whitch was at once put out in their boat, but a boat belonging to a vessel coming up the bay, and which fortunately happened to be near at the time, went forward before assistance could reach from the shore. The men in this boat observing a man struggling in the water (Dunwoodie), who had caught hold of part of the sunken yacht, took him in and brought him on shore and he proved to be still living. Dr. REID, who was driving through Whitehouse just then, was called in for assistance....The Coastguard boat and another boat picked up the bodies of two others, Robb and Algie, both dead. The other two, Stephenson and Makepeace, have not yet been found.... BELFAST MORNING NEWS.


August 22, in the Naval Hospital of Port Royal, in Jamaica, of typhus fever, the Rev. Thomas HOWE, Chaplain of H.M. Ship Aboukie.

County Cavan Newspaper Transcription Project

Ireland Home Page
County Cavan

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.