Cavan Observer
Published in Cavan, county Cavan

May 7, 1864


On the 6th inst., at Brook Vale, Cavan, after a protracted illness, which she bore with Christian resignation, Fanny, second daughter of William HAGUE, Esq., architect. She was in her 19th year, and is very much regretted by the inhabitants, which shows the estimation in which the family is held.


(Before Theophilus Thompson, Esq., J.P., Chairman; D. F. Jones, Esq., J.P.; Nathaniel Montgomery, J.P.;
William Babington, Esq., J.P., and Captain Erskine, J.P.)


A middle-aged man, named John FITZPATRICK, appeared to answer the charge of having assaulted in a most violent manner, a little girl of about nine years old, named Bridget VESEY.

D. F. Jones, Esq., stated that on Sunday week he was working near his residence, when he saw Fitzpatrick assault a little girl, who he since learned was the complainant, Vesey. He saw him take the child by the hair of the head and strike her with his right hand; indeed, his treatment was excessively cruel. He (Mr. Jones) knew Fitzpatrick for several years and with the exception of his violent temper, he was otherwise a well conducted man.

A young woman was produced who deposed that she saw Fitzpatrick beat Vesey, but could not say if the child did anything to him

The child (Vesey) stated that she wanted Fitzpatrick's children to go play with her when they began to cry, saying they were afraid of her; Fitzpatrick came up, caught hold of her by the hair of the head, and hit her severely with his shut hand. Fitzpatrick said Vesey was in the habit of throwing stones at his children, who were very small.....

Mr. Thompson remarked that Mr. Jones evinced very great humanity in bringing forward the case. If Vesey misbehaved towards Fitzpatrick's children it was his duty to complain of her to her parents and not take the law into his own hands. To mark their disapprobation of his conduct they would fine him 2s 6d.


Mary M'COY summoned Eliza HUMPHRYS for an assault. The parties stood in the relation of servant and mistress.

Mr. John Armstrong, solicitor, appeared for the defendant.

M'Coy deposed that she was servant to Eliza Humphrys; on the 27th ult., she was placing a pot of potatoes on the fire when the defendant hit her on the side of the head with a tin gallon.

To Mr. Armstrong--Did call the defendant's nephew names, but he used bad language to her on the day before; defendant called her a "faggot"....Mr. Armstrong said he laboured under a disadvantage in being debarred from legally examining his client. If he could do so he would be able to show that the complainant was the originator of the whole transaction....It was not likely that an old woman like his client would commit an assault on a strong girl like the complainant.

Mr. Thompson remarked that poor servants should be protected....The defendant was fine 2s; but she applied to the Court to be relieved from retaining the complainant any longer in her service, stating that she was willing to pay her wages up to that day. The Court saw no objection to the proposition, and made an order to that effect.


Bernard DEMPSEY, of Cockhill, summoned two unfortunate girls of the town, named Mary Ann BOYLAN and Mary CONNELLY, for breaking open and damaging his door.

Boylan applied for a postponement of the case on the grounds that she had not been served with the summons till after two o'clock on Saturday, and had not time to summon her witnesses.

The Court allowed the case to stand till next Court day.


James MONTGOMERY sued Martin BEATTY, of Corraglass, for £1 7s for work performed by the serving of legal notices in connexion with the malicious burning of the house in Derrygarra Upper, the property of Captain Roebuck.....Beatty did not dispute the demand, and said he would not make any defence to the process; still he declined to pay the money although he got a presentment off the county for the malicious injury. The Court granted a decree, with the usual costs.

Charles SHERIDAN, Cavan, sued Daniel SHERIDAN for 13s. 9d. The plaintiff proved the debt, and a decree was granted.


Head Constable MOORE, Inspector of Weights and Measures, summoned two flaxseed dealers, named James M'CALL, of Dundalk, and John M'CABE, of Cootehill, for using an unlawful "peck" in measuring flaxseed in the Cavan Market.

Neither of the parties appeared; but a man of M'Call's stated that James M'Call was dead since last September, and that the name in the summons should have been Peter M'Call. The Court said the summons could be amended and the proper name inserted.....

On referring to the act of parliament under which the proceedings were instituted, the Court found that the parties were liable to a penalty of 5l. each; but as it was the first offence the Court mitigated it to a fine of 1l. each and costs.


William BRADY summoned John and William WEIR for an assault. The Weirs summoned Brady for a similar offence.

Brady proved that he was gamekeeper of Mr. Beresford; about six o'clock on the morning of the 16th he heard a shot at Upper Kilmore; met the Weirs and asked them did they heard a shot; William Weir called him a "pimping, spying Papist," and called to his father not to hold any conversation with him, and made a rush at witness; John Weir caught hold of him by the neck, but witness broke the hold; when passing shortly after Weir's daughter came out to brow beat him........

Thomas CLISDELL was produced for the defence and proved that Brady asked him on the morning in question if he had heard a shot; witness replied that he did not, and Brady then went over to where the Weirs were working.....Am a distant relative of the Weirs; did not tell Brady that he was in a bad place and might be murdered.....

John Weir deposed.......Brady came up to him inquiring about who fired a shot; witness replied that he heard no shot....Brady then dogged his son down the field, and stood at Mr. BOUCHIER's gave shouting that he would give £50 for one round at him......

Mr. Thompson remarked that Brady had a duty to perform, and no person had any right to interfere with him.

The Court fined young Weir 2s. 6d. and costs; dismissed the complaint against old Weir, and also the Weirs complaint against Brady.


William MONTGOMERY summoned Thomas TUBMAN for 6s for tailoring work performed in February last. Tubman had a counter summons against Montgomery for 4s, ass hire.

Montgomery deposed that he was employed by Tubman to do tailoring work; himself and two men were the greater part of a day working for him; got 3s 6d from his wife, but that was not sufficient payment for the work done......

Mr. Thompson--And what is the usual charge for making a pair of trousers?

Montgomery--From 2s to 2s 6d.....

The Court considered that 3s 6d, together with feeding himself and men, was sufficient compensation for the work performed, and dismissed the summons.

Tubman's claim for the ass hire was then heard. He proved that Montgomery had his ass four days drawing turf;....The Court considered the claim a set-off to that of Montgomery's, and dismissed the complaint.



(Before the Hon. T. Preston, Chairman; J. Brabazon, Esq., and E. Banon, Esq., R.M.)


John M'GOLDRICK, sub-constable of Police, station in the Westgate Barrack, Drogheda, charged the Rev. Mr. MARTIN, Roman Catholic clergyman, for having assaulted him on the 17th April last, at Bryanstown, in the county Meath.

John M'Goldrick sworn and examined--On Sunday, 17th April, about half-past eight o'clock, I was walking toward the station, when I met three young ladies on the Dublin-road; we went towards the railway, and as the train was not in we went up the other road as far as the bridge; when we got as far as the bridge we were just turning back when the Rev. Mr. Martin came riding up; he nearly rode his horse between us; he asked me what my name was; I refused to give him my name; he asked me what religion I was, and I told him that I was a Protestant; he then rode on; when we were returning, we met him coming back, when he again rode up and said he would insist upon knowing what my name was, and the names of the young ladies whom I had along with me; I told him if he wished to know my name, or any other information about me, all he had to do was to call at the Westgate Barrack on the following morning; he then called me a ruffian; I think the answer that I made to that was that if I was a ruffian it was my own fault; he then threatened to horsewhip me; I told him that he had better not, when he raised the horsewhip and struck me with it along the neck; I had my overcoat on at the time, and I think that it along with the stock, saved me from the effects of the blow; the young ladies were along with me at the time....

The Hon. Mr. Preston addressed Mr. Martin to the following effect;--Mr. Martin, we have given this case the fullest possible consideration, and the opinion of myself and my brother magistrates is that you have been guilty of this assault upon the sub constable. He was not doing anything improper at the time; he was along with three females when you struck him and called him a ruffian. That is language that should not come from the lips of any clergyman......

Here the rev. defendant walked rapidly toward the door.

Mr. Brabazon, calling towards him, ordered him to remain in court, that he was in custody of the Bench and could not leave the court. Mr. Martin accordingly returned.

The Chairman continued by observing that Mr. Martin showed great contempt by turning his back upon the Court when he was addressing him, he was liable to be committed for contempt of Court. He concluded by observing that he had a painful duty to perform, but that he would perform it, and to mark his and his brother magistrate's displeasure at the assault, they would impose the full penalty of £5 and costs, or, in default, two months' imprisonment in Trim Gaol.

The fine was paid.--"Drogheda Reporter."

SUDDEN DEATH--On Monday an inquest was held on the body of Richard STAFFORD, Esq., of Clonbonny, in the county Longford, who was found dead in his bed on last Tuesday morning, lying as if merely asleep, with his hand under his head. The coroner Mr. J. QUINN, having charged the jury, they returned a verdict "That the deceased came by his death on the night of the 16th or the morning of the 17th of April by a fit of apoplexy."

May 14, 1864

LONGEVITY--On Tuesday, the 10th instant, in Main-street, Cavan, at the enormous age of 108 years. Mrs. GILES. What is still more remarkable, the deceased was seen walking up and down the Main-street (several perches) a day or two before her death. She always kept a lodging-house and huxter's shop, and attended to business up to the very day of her death.


May 10, at Stephen's Church, James Smyth KING, barrister-at-law, second son of the late Hutton Smyth KING, of Fertes Green, Muswell-hill, Middlesex, to Elizabeth Augusta, widow of Wm. H. MOORE, Esq., and the daughter of the late George KNIPE, Esq., Belturbet, county Cavan.

May 10, at Monkstown Church, W. H. VALLANCEY, Constabulary, son of Captain VALLANCEY, late of the Royals, to Annie, eldest daughter of William Thomas SHAW, Esq., of Shawbrook, county Longford.



(Before Theophilus Thompson, Esq., J.P., Chairman; and William Babington, Esq., J.P.)

Sergeant WALSH summoned Mrs. CHESTON for possession of a room which she held from him as a weekly tenant on Barrack Hill. Walsh proved that he set the room to Cheston as a weekly tenant, and that the necessary legal notices had been served upon her.

A man named GODFREY was produced on the part of the defendant, and deposed that she took the room as a monthly tenant. The defendant also proved that it was by the month she rented the room.....The Court considered the tenancy a monthly one, and dismissed the summons.


John MAXWELL summoned Patt M'CORMACK for stopping up an old pass between the townlands of Gortnasilla and Kilnavarragh, on the estate of the Right Hon. Lord Farnham. Maxwell proved that he was in the habit of going the pass in question for the last 30 years; defendant laboured the pass by sowing cabbage plants in it.

To Mr. Armstrong--Can't say if the "kesh" across the river was carried away by the stream in Nov. last; did not pass that way but once since; the kesh was gone away in the morning, and no one can go the pass without it.

Mr. Babington observed that he knew the pass in question for the last twenty four years to be a public one.

Mr. Thompson--Has the defendant prevented you going the pass?

Maxwell said he did not prevent him, but he had prevented others.

Mr. Thompson--Let you get the kesh made, and go through the plants, and if he stops you bring him here.

SUPPOSED ARREST OF MICHAEL HAYES, THE MURDERER--On Sunday evening, Constable EDGAR, of the Newry police, arrested in Sugar Island, a man giving his named as Thomas MOORE or RYAN, on suspicion of his being the far-famed Michael HAYES, the murder of the unfortunate Mr. John Waller BRADDELL, agent of Colonel HARE, which murder took place on the 30th July, 1863, in the town of Tipperary. MOORE states he is a native of Thomastown, county Tipperary, and left it a year ago to go to England, whence he has returned about six weeks. Of course, he stoutly denies his supposed identity with the murderer, but has an ill-favored look and his description pretty nearly answers that given to Michael Hayes in the "Hue and Cray," only that Moore is not bald on the top of the head. His appearance is, however, suspicious enough to warrant his arrest and subsequent detention, and Mr. J. L. M'CANCE, the resident magistrate, has instructed Constable Edgar to communicate at once with the authorities in Dublin, in order, if possible, to elicit further information. Moore or Ryan has been remanded for the present.--"Newry Telegraph."


An inquest was held on Sunday, before John DAVIS, Esq., coroner, and a jury of the small farmers resident in the locality, on the remains of a man named MADDEN, who was murdered on the previous evening. The outrage does not possess anything of an agrarian character. The deceased and the person accused of slaying him were believed to have been on friendly terms. They had both been in Ballinasloe on Friday, when James TUMBELTY, who stands charged with the homicide, gave evidence in a trial which took place at the petty sessions. The parties walked out of town together, and were observed by Constable MADDEN to be on amicable terms. In fact the constable believing them to have been both under the influence of drink brought them into Creah Police Barrack, but subsequently released them, as he believed they were quite capable of proceeding homewards. They disputed, however, after entering a field beyond Birchgrove, and it is alleged that Madden was there stabbed by Tumbelty in the neck, separating the carotid artery in two. The unfortunate man walked over 200 yards, his blood flowing copiously from the wounds. He stopped at a cabin close at hand, where he exclaimed to a woman who was milking a cow, that he was going fast, and that it was James Tumbelty had done it. Mr. O'SHAUGHNESSY, of Birchgrove, the resident magistrate, was sent for forthwith, as was also Dr. SHARKEY, the dispensary medical officer. When Mr. O'Shaughnessy arrived the man was all but speechless, and he expired before the doctor reached the scene of the outrage. The unfortunate man was the only support of a widowed mother, and was in the employment of Daniel METHER, Esq., of Fahalty. The witnesses examined at the inquest were few, and the evidence was merely circumstantial. Dr. Sharkey having made a "post mortem" examination, a verdict was returned to the effect, that the deceased came by his death from a wound inflicted in his neck by a sharp instrument, and that said wound was inflicted by James Tumbelty. On Monday Tumbelty gave himself up to Major D'ARCY, Esq., and confessed that it was he who stabbed the deceased, but it was in a hard struggle, he being on the ground, and Madden over him.

May 21, 1864

FRIGHTFUL AND TORTURING DEATH--BOYLE, MAY 15--Yesterday a man named James WHITESIDE was putting out manure on some Potato-land with a horse and cart, and on passing through a narrow portion of the road leading to the field, and which was full of deep ruts. After he fell the horse pressed forward until the wheel of the loaded cart rested just over the heart, and remained quite stationary with the weight of the load pressing on the unhappy man. No person being within view of the terrible event, the unfortunate man was kept in this awful position until nearly two hours had elapsed, when some men who were at work in a neighbouring nursery of Lord Lorton's, being attracted by the repeated neighing of the horse, ran to the spot and found everything as above described; the horse had not moved, and poor Whiteside was a lifeless corpse. The deceased was a pensioner from the constabulary, and was in charge of the grand entrance to Lord Viscount Lorton's demesne at Rockingham. He was 75 years of age and leaves a wife as old as himself, and a daughter.


ORDINATION--On Sunday last, in the Cathedral Kilmore, the Lord Bishop of Kilmore held an ordination, at which the following gentlemen were ordained deacons:--Thomas W. CARSON, A.M., for the curacy of Kilmore, Diocese of Kilmore; W. J. W. WEBB, A.B., for the Curacy of Knockbridge, Diocese of Kilmore; Richard A. BURNETT, A.B., for the Curacy of Ballyhaise, Diocese of Kilmore, and R. A. WHITE, A.B., for the Curacy of St. Peter's, Athlone, Diocese of Elphin. Priests--Edward N. MARTIN, A.B., and E.S. RADCLIFFE, A.B., on Letters Dismissory from the Bishop of Meath. The ordination sermon was preached by the Rev. Dr. DARLEY, Rector of Cootehill.

ROBBERIES--On Sunday night last at Conacalvey, near Cootehill, the out-house of a farmer named FARQUHAR, was broke into, and a cow, value 14l. with two yearling calves, stolen therefrom. On Tuesday night two springers were stolen from a farmer at Lavey, in this county. We understand that the perpetrators of these robberies have as yet escaped detection.

LANDED ESTATES COURT--COUNTY CAVAN--In the matter of the estate of the Marquis of Westmeath and others, trustees of the will of Mr. Folke GREVILLE, deceased, owners and petitioners.--The Cavan estate, comprising the first 16 lots of this estate in the printed rental in this matter was set up for sale, and adjourned there being no competitioner.



(Before Theophilus Thompson, Esq., J.P., Chairman; and William Babington, Esq., J.P.)


A pauper named Patrick ROONEY, who has been frequently before the Court on different charges was brought up charged with assaulting another prisoner in the Cavan workhouse, of which both of them were inmates......The Court committed him for trial to the Quarter Sessions.


A very troublesome and ill-conducted woman named Mary REILLY was charged at the suit of the Cavan Board of Guardians, with destroying some of the workhouse property.

Jane O'BRIEN, the ward-woman of the workhouse, proved that the prisoner was admitted to the female probationary ward; the night before she slept there the blankets were sound; and next morning witness found one of them torn; she did not see the prisoner tear the blanket, but she was the only person in the ward on that night.

Miss KENNY, the Schoolmistress, deposed that she was in charge in the absence of the matron, and that she sent down clothing from the laundry to the prisoner; she rejected the clothing, and witness told the circumstance to the master, who told her to leave the house...; the prisoner then went away....

The prisoner was committed to gaol for a month.


Patrick FAY charged Mary and John MORAN with the larceny of three shirts and other articles of wearing apparel. The case was postponed from the previous Court, in consequence of it being alleged that Mary Moran was unable to attend from illness, and the same excuse was given for her absence on the present occasion. Dr. MOORE stated that he had visited the woman, and that there was nothing the matter with her except that she was near her confinement.....

Moran admitted that his wife stole the articles and said she was driven to it by want and hunger, having a family of ten children in a state of starvation.

Mr. Thompson remarked that the man's condition was to be commiserated; but poverty was no justification for robbery.....The prisoner was committed for trial to the Quarter Sessions.


Owen M'CABE sued John M'GIVNEY for £2 cash lent. The evidennce on both sides was of the most contradictory kind.

M'Cabe deposed that he lent M'Givney the money in question; gave him 1l. in the early part of last April...and another 1l.. in the latter end of the same month in Mr. GANNON's yard. The defendant said he re-paid the money claimed by the plaintiff...

The Court declined to adjudicate on the case, and recommended the parties to go before the chairman of the county.

The Court then rose.


On Monday, at 46 Charles-street, London, the Hon. Mrs. CURZON, of a daughter.

May 14, at Broughshane, county Antrim, the wife of the Rev. W. DUDGEON, curate, of a son.


April 7th, at St. John's Church, Calcutta, James O'KINEALY, Esq., B.A., Bengal Civil Service, to Harriet Eliza, only daughter of Frederick DIVERS, Esq., of London.

May 14, at Clonmore Church, Francis MORTON, Esq., Woodmount, county Wicklow, to Maria Eleanor, daughter of Michael ELLIOTT, Esq., Anahilla Cottage, county Fermanagh.

May 17, in Cavan Church, by the Rev. W. H. HUTCHINSON, Mr. John FORSTER, to Maria, eldest daughter of Mr. John DOBSON, Poles.


May 13, at his residence, Comber, county Down, John ANDREWS, Esq., J.P., aged 72 years.

In Lower Dorset-street, Mrs. Charles FOX.

SUICIDE--On Sunday evening, about half-past five o'clock, a private soldier, named Wm. LOYD, of the 34th Regiment, was found dead in the officers kitchen of Portobello Barracks, with his neck cut from ear to ear. Regimental Surgeon HOOPER was called without delay, and when that gentleman arrived he found that the unfortunate man had expired long before. He was lying in a pool of blood, and an open razor was beside him on the floor. Dr. HARTY, county coroner, held an inquest yesterday on the body, and from the evidence it appeared that the deceased, who had been a servant to an officer in the 10th Hussars, had been drinking hard for some time. His master had some angry words with him on the previous evening, and he was seen last alive at a quarter past two o'clock on Sunday. The jury returned a verdict that the deceased committed suicide by cutting his throat while labouring under the influence of temporary insanity.

FATAL ACCIDENT--A young man, named DUNNE, was accidentally shot on Sunday last, at Gortnaclea, near Mountrath, while shooting rabbits in company with another youth. Dunne got up first, and, while the other was in the act of rising, his gun caught in his trowsers, and the charge took effect in Dunne's heart. Death was almost instantaneous--LEINSTER EXPRESS

May 28, 1864

DEATH FROM HYDROPHOBIA--A boy of eight years old, named James MADDEN, residing at Bunnahonly, near Glasson, County Westmeath, died on the 15th of this month, of hydrophobia, having been bitten by a rabid dog in the neighbourhood just a month previously, and it is very much to be deplored that the same savage animal had also bitten two or three others before his owner would allow him to be destroyed, but so far they have shown no sign of illness. He was one of those brutes called bulldogs, and his owner, a farmer in the locality, although he was aware that he had been bitten by a mad dog, would not allow him to be killed.


May 24, at Richmond Hill, the wife of J. W. ALLISON, Esq., A.B., of a son.

May 24, ata Rathgar, the wife of Arthur M. DAY, Esq., of a daughter.


May 18, at Killybegs, county Donegal, Walter, son of the late Andrew Fitzgerald REYNOLDS, Esq., of Melton, East Yorkshire, to Matilda, daughter of the late James HAMILTON, Esq., of Fintra House, county Donegal.

May 28, at Dundalk, by the Rev. Marcus RAINSFORD, Mr. Hugh SWANN, Liverpool, to Elizabeth HARRISON, only daughter of William BLACK, Esq., Ballymena.


May 21, at Ballyalton, Newtownards, Sarah, widow of the Rev. R. M. DILLON, formerly rector of Dundonald, county Down.

May 23, at Edenmore, county Atrim, John ALLEN, Esq., of Londonderry, aged 67 years.

May 17, at his residence, Lansdowns-road, Dublin, at the advanced age of 82 years, Captain Henry KIRWAN, formerly of the 14th Light Dragoons, and brother of the late Major KIRWAN, of Castlehacket, county Galway.

May 23, at 56, Leinster road, John M. MAGUIRE, Esq., Mr. MAGUIRE was connected for many years with the literary staff of the SAUNDER'S NEWS-LETTER, and for the last ten years he held the position of (illegible) editor of that paper.

THE MAGISTRACY--The Lord Lieutenant has been placed to approve of the appointment of Major Gerard IRVINE to be a deputy Lieurtnant for the county of Fermanagh, in the room of Michael JONES, Esq., deceased.


(Before Theophilus Thompson, Esq., J.P., Chairman;
Captain Erskine, J.P., and William Babington, Esq., J.P.)


Constable M'ILWAINE, of the Butlersbridge police station, charged two young men named Patt MURPHY and John PRATT, with waylaying and assaulting William MOORE of Kilnacrieve. Moore deposed that he was returning home from the fair of Cavan on the 14th instant, when he was attacked and beaten...could not identify the prisoners as the parties who struck him.....the Court dismissed the complaint.

After disposing of a few small debt cases, the Court rose.

DEATH OF A WATERLOO VETERAN--Corporal David CARROLL died at Dalkeith on Monday last, at the advanced age of 90 years. He was a native of Kilkenny, Ireland. He enlisted at the age of 20 in the 42nd Royal Highland (Black Watch) Regiment of Infantry in which he remained above 24 years. He was present at the battle of Waterloo, where he received a wound in the right leg. He was shortly afterwards discharged from the army with a pension.

DREADFUL OCCURRENCE--A shocking occurrence took place at Milehouse, near Enniscorthy, on Monday last. A labouring man, proceeding to his work, was attracted by cries and moans proceeding from a house occupied by a man named QUAIL, a broguemaker, who had been about 10 days previously discharged as a cured lunatic from the asylum at Carlow. On entering the house, a revolting scene presented itself, for QUAIL was actually eating his wife's face, and the wretched woman writhing in the greatest agony. The lunatic was driven off his prey, and his poor victim removed to Enniscorthy, and placed under the care of Dr. O'ROURKE, who paid her all the attention her distressing condition required. On examination it was found that her lips were bitten completely off, and the remainder of her face all gnawed and backened. Quail was subsequently arrested by the police, and committed as a dangerous lunatic. His face and neck presented the appearance of having been wallowing in blood. We have not hear of so shocking an occurrence for many years. The lunatic and his wife were each fully 60 years of age.

County Cavan Newspaper Transcription Project

Ireland Home Page
County Cavan

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.