Cavan Observer
Published in Cavan, county Cavan

September 5, 1863



In the Matter of the Estate of
Owner and Petitioner

TO BE SOLD in Lots, on an early day hereafter to be named, the Estate of the late Perrot THORNTON, Esquire, of Greenville, in aid


consisting of the Townland of Callaghs, Kiltynaskellan, Roy, Aushaweenagh, Killygreagh, and Ardlogher, situate in the baronies of Tullyhunco and Tullyhaw, and County of Cavan.

The Estate contains over 1400 acres statute measure.

On this Property there is a large, substantial, and modern built house, with suitable Offices, and walled-in Garden, fit for the residence of a Gentleman's family; also a handsome Demesne, well planted with useful and ornamental Timber of full growth.

The Estate is situated midway between Killeshandra and Belturbet.

Further particulars will be state in future advertisements.

Application to be made to HENRY GREENE KELLY, Solicitor, having carriage of the proceedings,

No. 39, Lower Ormand Quay, Dublin.

WILLIAM COCHRANE, Esq., Dromard, Clones, County Monaghan, and to

MOSES NETTERFIELD, Esq., Agent of the Estate, Ballyconelly, County of Cavan.

ILLICIT DISTILLATION--IMPORTANT SEIZURE--On the 1st inst., Mr. HOPP, Supervisor of Inland Revenue, accompanied by Messrs. JACOBS, NASH, and M'KIBBIN, officers of Belfast, and Mr. M'DONNELL, officer of Lisburn, proceeded to a house occupied by a man named John QUINN, townland Mullaglas, in the parish of Derrigahy, where they found a most extensive illicit distillery at full work. The still, which was capable of distilling about 80 or 100 gallons, were charged with wash, together with three large casks containing in all from 500 to 600 gallons of wash in a high state of fermentation, and other casks containing about five gallons of sluglings. They emptied out the wash, &c., and destroyed all the utensils, except the copper worm, which they seized, and brought to Belfast.--"Belfast News-Letter."


(Before Theophilus Thompson, Esq., J.P., Chairman; John E. Vernon, Esq., J.P., and W. M. Hickson, Esq., R.M.)


Peter FITZPATRICK, of Glencurrin, against whom his wife swore informations a fortnight ago for repeatedly assaulting her in a most violent manner, and who was remanded from last Court day in consequence of the wife not appearing to prosecute, was again brought before the Court. The wife now appeared and in reply to Mr. Thompson, said the information she swore was correct, and that her husband had frequently ill-treated her; but as he now promised amendment she was willing to forgive him the past, and hoped the Court would do so. Their children were lying sick, and their crop was going to waste for want of any one to take care of it, and under these circumstances she begged of the Court to allow him to go home.

Mr. Thompson said he did not give much credence to the promise of amendment, and considered him a most heartless ruffian to treat any woman, and more particularly his wife, in the way he had done. He doubted if he ought not send him six months to gaol, with the hardest of labour, and it was his wife he might thank for escaping from such punishment; but so sure as he ever again came before this Court charged with ill-treating his wife in the slightest way, his past offence would be brought against him, and he would most assuredly go to gaol for six months.

He was then discharged.


Michael FARRY, a resident of Cavan, was charged with dangerously assaulting Daniel HOSEY, in the town of Cavan, on the 30th ult. Since the occurrence Hosey has been an inmate of the County Infirmary.

Mr. M'Gauran, solicitor, appeared for Farry, and handed up to the Court a certificate from Dr. MATHEWS, stating that Hosey's life was out of danger.

Head Constable MOORE applied for an adjournment of the case till next Court day, inasmuch as Hosey was not considered sufficiently recovered to attend to give evidence.

The case was accordingly adjourned till next Court day, and the witnesses bound over to appear.

Patrick MAGUIRE and James MAGUIRE, were charged with dangerously assaulting Thomas MAGUIRE, at Stradone. The accused were father and son, and when they appeared on the table it was most difficult to tell from their appearance which was the junior member of the family.

Mr. M'Gauran appeared for the accused, and said that the transaction arose out of a disputed pass, when the prosecutor received a blow of a stone on the leg, and the landlord, Mr. BURROWES, directed summonses to issue.

The Constable of the Stradone station, stated that Thomas Maguire was under the care of Dr. MOORE, and was not able to attend the Court on that day, nor did he think he would be able to do so for a fortnight, and he wished the case to be postponed till then.

The case was postponed for a fortnight.


A middle-aged woman, named Ellen REILLY, was brought up in the custody of the police, charged with stealing a shawl, the property of James O'DONNELL, clothes broker, Main-street, Cavan.

Mary Ann O'DONNELL deposed that on the evening of the 25th August she saw the prisoner outside her father's shop; saw her take away a shawl that was hanging there for sale; followed the prisoner, and saw her drop the shawl; the police then came up and she was taken into custody; the shawl now produced is the one taken from her father's shop by the prisoner.......The prisoner said she would prefer having the case tried by their worships, and pleaded guilty.......

Mr. Thompson--There is no doubt of the prisoner's guilt in the present instance......The property of respectable tradespeople must be protected from being plundered in this way, and the Court is dealing leniently with you in awarding you two months imprisonment.


Constable SHEIL summoned a boy of Mr. BLAKE's, Main-street, Cavan, with furiously driving a horse and cart through Bridge street. The Constable proved the offence.

Mr. Thompson observed that the practice of driving furiously through the public streets was most reprehensible, and endangered the lives of the inhabitants.

The boy was fined 5s. or a week's imprisonment.


Thomas REILLY summoned Michael SMITH for rescuing a mare from him which he had seized under a Barrister's decree at the suit of Mr. Sylvester WALLACE.

Reilly proved that he legally seized the mare under a decree; Smith used such force that he was compelled to abandon the seizure; did not show Smith the decree but told him he had it in his possession.

The Court took Reilly's informations, and advised Smith to settle the decree before a warrant would issue.


Miss PARR sued James GALLIGAN for 17s. 6d., the rent of a house in Bridge-street.

James MONTGOMERY proved that the amount sued for was due.

Galligan said he had no objection to pay the rent if the house was repaired. There was an agreement between him and Miss Parr that the house should be kept in proper repair.

Court--Produce that agreement.

Galligan--Miss Parr has it.

The case was adjourned for a week--Galligan in the meantime to notice Miss Parr to produce the agreement.

The Court then rose.


August 30, at Crossdoney, the wife of Mr. Charles M'CABE, sincerely regretted.

August 30, at Pullamore, the wife of Mr. Isaac PRATT.


An impression has gone abroad that the entensive measures undertaken a few years ago by boards of guardians in different parts of Ireland for sending out to the British colonies female inmates of workhouse have not contributed to the welfare either of the parties so expatriated or to the countries to which they have been sent. The consequence has been that prejudice has been created against the further pursuance of such a scheme for relieving the ratepayers at home from the cost, year after year, of such burdens. In 1850, 201 males, 430 females, and 270 children under fifteen years of age, were sent out or assisted to emigrate by boards of guardians in Ireland in pursuance of the provisions of the Irish Poor Relief Act. In the following year the numbers were respectively 360, 814, and 517....and in 1854, 403, 1,202, and 966. In 1855 this species of emigration reached its maximum, when the numbers were 159 males, 2,817 females, and 788 juveniles under fifteen years of age.....

September 12, 1863


AN EXPERT THIEF--On Tuesday last, a robbery of a most daring character was perpetrated in the station house office of the Irish North Western Railway Company, of this town. A suspicious looking fellow, named Bernard DUFFY, was remarked loitering about the station house a great portion of the day; but it being the fair day, and officials of the railway being busily occupied, no particular notice was taken of him. Mr. LYNCH, of Arvagh, entered the railway office to pay for the transmission of cattle. In doing so, he left his purse, containing £1 11s. on the counter, in the office, when it suddenly disappeared. Duffy was seen to make a rapid exit from the office, jump across an outer wall, and hurriedly proceed across the fields at the rere of the station house. He was followed by some of the bystanders at the railway, who succeeded in capturing him after a smart chase; but on being brought to the station house and searched neither purse nor money was found in his possession. However, a young man, named PICKINS, came forward and stated that he observed Duffy fling something over a wall when he was pursued. Search was made the place indicated by Pickens, when the abstracted purse was found, and it having been identified by Mr. Lynch as his property, Duffy was fully committed to stand his trial at the next Quarter Sessions of this town.


(Before Theophilus Thompson, Esq., J.P., Chairman; and William Babington, Esq., J.P.)


Michael FARRY appeared to answer a charge at the suit of the Cavan constabulary, of having dangerously assaulted Daniel HOSEY, in Cavan, on Sunday evening, the 30th ult. The case was postponed from the previous Court day in consequence of Hosey not being sufficiently recovered to attend.

Mr. M'Gauran, solicitor, appeared for the accused.

Hosey deposed that on the evening of Sunday, the 30th ult., he was proceeding home through the Main-street of Cavan, when he was attacked and knocked down; can't distinctly swear who struck him, but believes it was the accused, Michael Farry.

In reply to a question from Mr. M'Gauran, Hosey said he had been drinking on that day; drank four half glasses of whiskey; will not positively swear it was Farry who struck him.

Farry said he was so drunk on the day in question as to have no recollection of anything that happened; he had drank nine or ten glasses of whiskey on that day.

Mr. Thompson--It is highly discreditable to a young man of your appearance to spend the Sabbath day in the manner you have done by making a beast of yourself with whiskey.

Thomas FITZPATRICK deposed that he saw Farry knock down Hosey twice; he did his utmost to separate the parties and prevent them quarrelling; both were drunk, but cannot tell which of them gave the first assault. Mr. Thompson complimented Fitzpatrick on the very proper and straightforward way he gave his evidence.

The police produced other witnesses, but they said they were not present at the occurrence....Mr. M'Gauran submitted that there was no legal evidence against his client. It was quite evident all the parties were drunk, and that circumstance would render nugatory the evidence of the witnesses before a jury.

Mr. Thompson remarked that it was shameful to see young men in their sphere of life so far forget themselves as to become so infuriated with whiskey that they had no control over their actions. There was not sufficient evidence to send the case before a jury; but it was to be hoped it would serve as a warning to them in future.

Farry was then discharged.

After disposing of some unimportant cases, the Court rose.

September 19, 1863

DEATH BY DROWNING IN BELFAST--On Saturday night, a sailor named David M'KIBBIN belonging to the smack Pearl, was accidentally drowned going on board his vessel. He had got some money in the evening to purchase clothes, and left the smack for the purpose. He was a person much addicted to drink.

RIBBON INTIMIDATION IN WESTMEATH--On the morning of the fair of Mullingar, 1st instant, a man named Michael GROGAN, herd to Mrs. MAGAN, mother to the late member for Westmeath, who herds for his mistress on the lands of Cathernstown, within about two miles of Mullingar, went out between the hours of four and five o'clock, a.m., to collect cattle for the fair, accompanied by his son, a boy of between 15 to 16 years of age, when, while in the act of collecting cattle at a lonely part of the extensive farm, and at the greatest distance from his dwelling, he was suddenly set upon by, as he states, two men, armed with heavy dudgeons, who beat him in such an unmerciful manner as to leave him in a state of insensibility, and, probably, would have completed their murderous purpose were it not for the appearing in sight of the son, with such help as he could obtain at his dwelling, to which he had run as soon as the attack on his father had commenced. The beaten man was conveyed to his home, and, at the expense and by the direction of his kind-hearted employer, the best medical attendance was promptly procured, and, after the lapse of some days, he was pronounced out of danger.--To explain the Ribbon character of this outrage it is necessary to state that a short time since a man named MELIA had been herd to Mrs. MAGAN, but owing to the bad character of his (MELIA's) son, who had to seek escape from justice by emigration to Buenos Ayres, his employer found it prudent to dismiss him. No stranger dare enter on the lands, and GROGAN, being a tenant of the proprietress on Cathernstown, was induced to fill MELIA's place, and hence the attack on his life. The time selected for the assault shows the judgment with which it was planned, as Grogan was under the surveillance of the police, who were that morning obliged to prepare for duty at the fair, and therefore could not be abroad as usual, so that the chances of detection were considerable diminished. On the third day succeeding the assault Grogan was able to answer questions put to him, and then resolutely denied all knowledge of the identity of his assailants, as did also his son, only stating that there were but two concerned in the attack.--DAILY EXPRESS.


CAVAN MILITIA--Mr. W. CHINNERY, late serjeant-major of the 66th Regiment, has been appointed by the Lord Lieutenant, Quarter Master in the above Regt., on the recommendation of Lieutenant Colonel the Earl of Bective, M.P. Mr. Chinnery served upwards of 21 years in the 66th Regiment, nearly all of which as non-commissioned officer. He was a long time serjeant-major of the Regiment, and was much esteemed and respected by the officers, non-commissioned officers, and men, for his steady conduct and the straightforward manner in which he performed the regimental duties of his station.

(Before Theophilus Thompson, Esq., J.P., Chairman; and Wm. Babington, Esq., J.P.)


Two men were brought up at the suit of the Cavan Board of Guardians for deserting their wives and families whereby they became chargeable on the Cavan union. Edward FINLAY, the porter of the workhouse, proved the cases, and one of the prisoners was sent to gaol for a month, the other being discharged on his guaranteeing to take his wife and family out of the work house.


Constable LILLY, of the Stradone station, charged Patrick and James MAGUIRE with violently assaulting Thomas MAGUIRE. All the parties reside in the townland of Behey, and the accused stand in the relation of brother and nephew of the prosecutor. From the evidence of the latter it appeared that the accused cut down a portion of the prosecutor's oats to make a pass-way through his land for their accommodation to take home turf. This act of trespass the prosecutor resisted; blows ensued, when he received a blow of a stone on the leg which nearly deprived him of the use of that member, besides the injury, he also received from Patrick Maguire, his brother, a blow of a shovel on the head, which for a time rendered him insensible. A letter was read from John E. VERNON, Esq., the agent of the estate, stating that the accused had no right to force a pass through the prosecutor's land. Mr. M'Gauran, solicitor, who appeared for the accused, contended that his clients received a permissive right from the prosecutor to use the pass in dispute, and had done so without hindrance for nine days previous to the assault. It was the prosecutor who gave the first assault by flinging a stone at the accused, which stone was flung back at him and unfortunately hit him in the leg. Mr. Thompson, in pronouncing the sentence of the Court, characterised the conduct of the accused as most brutal and cowardly. They were fined £3 with £1 costs each--the costs and two-thirds of the fine to go to the prosecutor.

Four brothers, named STEPHENS, rather respectable looking men, who deal pretty largely in horses, was charged by Owen CAHILL with severely beating him in Cavan on the last fair night. Since the occurrence Cahill has been an inmate of the county infirmary, and was then considered not in a fit position to attend the Court. Mr. CLARKE, residence pupil of the infirmary, deposed that Dr. MEASE, the medical officer of the institution, told him on the previous evening that he considered Cahill's life out of danger, but that excitement would not serve him. Mr. Thompson said he called to see Cahill in the infirmary on the previous day, and he asked him to have the case postpone for a week, as he did not think himself able to attend. Mr. Armstrong, solicitor, who appeared for the accused, said his clients did not wish to press the hearing of the case, if it was thought it would be injurious to Cahill to attend. Dr. MATHEWS proved that he did not then think Cahill unable to attend; it would not serve him to get a passion or be subjected to any great excitement; so long as his wound bore the aspect it did he (Dr. Mathews) did not consider his life out of danger. The Court thought it the more judicious course to adjourn the hearing of the case for a week, which was accordingly done.

After disposing of a few trivial cases, the Court rose.

September 26, 1863


FIRING AT MR. RANDAL BLACK--Mr. Randal BLACK, son of Mr. John BLACK, of Gartbratten, near this town, is stated to have been fired at on Thursday evening when passing through the village of Butlersbridge. There are many conflicting reports afloat concerning the transaction; but, we understand, Mr. R. Black's version of it is this:--He was returning from the fair of Clones, and was proceeding on horseback through Butlersbridge at about ten minutes past seven o'clock on the evening in question. His father, and a Mr. HALLIDAY, were driving on an outside car a few paces behind. When opposite the Roman Catholic chapel of Butlersbridge, a gun or pistol was fired at him, a portion of the contents of which struck him on the head, inflicting a slight wound, and knocking off his hat, in which a small hole is perforated. The wound on the head is considerably larger than the hole in the hat. He declares that he distinctly saw a man standing at the door of the above chapel, whom he perceived turn round and lift his arm, and then saw the flash of fire-arms. His father also saw the man and the flash of fire-arms and heard the shot when he at once stopped the car, and found his son bleeding. Mr. Halliday corroborates these statements in their essential features. The occurrence took place quite close to the police barrack of Butlersbridge, and one of the men of that station says he heard the shout of murder, but heard no report of fire-arms, and other persons in the vicinity make similar statements. Mr. Randal Black and his father came at once into Cavan, and reported the matter to the Constabulary. Sub-Inspector Napier lost no time in proceeding to the scene of the outrage; but could glean no information to throw any additional light on the affair. A boy named LITTLE, who had been discharged from the service of Mr. John Black, was arrested, he having made use of some threats towards Mr. Randal Black after he had left his father's employment. On yesterday (Friday), T. Thompson, Esq., J.P., held an investigation which resulted in the discharge of the boy Little, it having been shown that he could not have been at Butlersbridge at the time Mr. Black was fired at. Up to the present the affair is enshrouded in the greatest mystery, and is the subject of much controversy and comment.

THE MURDER NEAR MULLINGAR--On Wednesday, Patrick CONNELL, Esq., coroner for this division of Westmeath, held an inquest on the remains of the unfortunate man CONNOR, who was savagely murdered on the previous day. It appeared from the evidence of Patrick DONOGHOE, the cowardly companion of the victim Connor, that they were returning from a house a short distance from Connor's, and that his (Donoghoe's) residence was immediately contiguous to Connor's. As they were in the act of passing a small plantation adjoining the demesne of W. Fetherston HAUGH, Esq., of Carrick, seven men sprang from behind the fence, one of whom instantly tripped up poor Connor, while another acted a similar part with the witness Donoghoe. As soon as Donoghoe gained his standing, for Connor never was permitted to do so, two of the party desired him instantly, on pain of death, to make off, at the same time presenting a pistol, and following him into the field through which he was making his escape. In the mean time the remaining five were busily engaged in their deed of blood, which having accomplished, they were across the country after firing several shots. The jury brought in the following verdict:--"We find that said Connor came by his death at the townland of Carrick, in the County of Westmeath, on the 22nd day of September 1863, from injuries received by being waylaid and beaten by a party of seven men, at present to us unknown. We, therefore, find the said persons guilty of the wilful murder of the said Patrick Connor." No arrests have yet been made.



(Before Theophilus Thompson, Esq., J.P.)


Peter GALLIGAN summoned Andrew GALLIGAN for stealing a cock of hay, his property. Mr. Armstrong appeared for the plaintiff,and Mr. M'Gauran for the defendant.

Mr. Armstrong said the parties were brothers, and he would propose that the matter in dispute be left in the settlement of their landlord, Mr. W. SMITH. Mr. M'Gauran said he had no objection to the course proposed by Mr. Armstrong.

The case was referred to Mr. W. Smith.


Four brothers named Thomas STEPHENS, Samuel STEPHENS, William STEPHENS, and Joseph STEPHENS, appeared to answer the charge of having violently and dangerously assaulted Owen CAHILL, of Lislea, in Cavan, on the night of the 8th of September. The case was adjourned from the previous Court, in consequence of its not being considered advisable for Cahill to attend then to give evidence. The prosecutor belongs to the class of small farmers, and enjoys the reputation of being a respectable inoffensive man. The accused had much the same position in society, and deal largely in horses. The hearing of the case seemed to be regarded with much interest, the Court being crowded by the friends of both parties.

Mr. M'Gauran conducted the case on the part of Cahill, and Mr. John Armstrong defended the accused.

In consequence of Dr. MEASE having to proceed on a professional call, he was the first witness examined. He deposed that Cahill was brought to the county Infirmary on the last fair night of Cavan; he was bleeding from a wound on the head; on examining the wound he found that the skull was not fractured, but the bone nearly touched; did not at any time consider his life in danger; he is now recovered...

Owen Cahill examined by Mr. M'Gauran--lives at Lislea, which is four or five miles from Cavan; was at the last fair of Cavan on the 8th Sept.; remained in town all day, and put up his horse at Mr. Peter BRADY's in Church street; when going home about seven o'clock in the evening he went to Brady's in company with George TURNER, a neighbour of his; Turner asked witness to take a dandy of punch, and they went into the shop to do so; the Stephenses were in the shop; knew Thomas and Samuel Stephens before, but did not know the names of the other two; Turner paid Mr. Brady for the two dandies of punch, and when they were in the act of drinking them, Thomas Stephens said they were drinking his punch; Turner replied it was their own punch, and that they were as well able to pay for it as he was; Thomas Stephens then made a dash towards witness and spilled his dandy; nothing further then happened, and witness proceeded in the yard to get his horse; when near the stable door he was attacked and got several blows from behind; there were four or five persons striking at him; he shouted to Thomas Stephens that they were under a mistake as to who they were beating; Thomas Stephens said, "strike on, you're right";.......

Owen DONOHOE deposed that he was employed by Mr. Brady to look after his yard on the fair day in question; was at Brady's front door in charge of a horse and car belonging to the Stephenses; one of them said he would not go home till he would best some one, and another of them leaped off the car saying "let us give him his earning"; they all went away, and returned in about twenty minutes, when they got on the car and drove away as fast as they could; there were three men and a woman on the car; another of the Stephenses was in the yard arguing with young Brady about his horse got, for which he refused to pay....

Mr. Thompson recapitulated the evidence in a very lucid manner. He said he entertained no doubt that the accused were the parties who assaulted Cahill, whom he knew for many years to be an inoffensive and respectable man.....It was no doubt to be regretted to see respectable, educated men in the position of the accused; but he agreed with Mr. M'Gauran, that men of good character guilty of such conduct were the more culpable. He would fine each of them £4 with £ costs--the fine and one-third of the costs to go to Cahill--or in default two months imprisonment.

The fine and costs--amounted to £20--was instantly paid, and the parties left the Court.


A man named Patt LEE was brought up at the suit of the Guardians of the Cavan Union charged with having deserted his child, and left it in a most wretched state.

FINLAY proved that the child was then an inmate of the Cavan Workhouse, and had been so for some years past; it came there in a most wretched state of destitution and filth.

Lee said the child was an illegitimate child of his wife's and he did not think himself bound to support it. Mr. Thompson inquired was a stepfather liable under the Poor Law Act.

Finlay handed up the Act of Parliament, by which it was provided that a man was liable for the support of the children of his wife, whether legitimate or illegitimate until they were over fourteen years of age.

Mr. Thompson commented on the inhumanity of deserting their offspring, and remarked that the sow--the lowest animal in creation--attended to its young.

The prisoner was committed to gaol for a fortnight.

A man named SKELLY was brought up for deserting his wife and child. Finlay proved the offence, and he was committed to gaol for a fortnight.

A comfortable looking, and apparently respectable man named John CHARLETON, was charged with deserting his child. Finlay proved that the mother died in the workhouse, and that the child was chargable on the union since the 4th April 1862.

Carleton was committed to gaol for a fortnight and sincerely censured by Mr. Thompson for his heartless conduct.

The Court then rose.


Shortly after the "stowaways" were brought to the barrack, Captain Blake FOSTER, Mr. STARKIE, R.M., and Mr. E. C. BURKE sat in the clerk's office at the Town Courthouse in order to hear the evidence that could be adduced against the prisoners. The police could only say that forty men and five women were given into their custody, charged with having attempted to defraud the Atlantic Company, by concealing themselves in the Anglia when she was about to said, but they were unable to state how the prisoners was concealed, or to give any positive testimony that the prisoners intended to proceed by the vessel. The seamen who had found the prisoners stowed away in the coal-bunkers, and who alone could give evidence that would lead to their conviction, had already proceeded to sea in the Anglia. The magistrates were therefore obliged to dismiss the case without prejudice.....The prisoners were then discharged amid the cheers of the immense crowd which still pressed round the door of the police barrack. The stowaways presented a most laughable appearance, their faces and clothes being quite black with coal dust. We have been assured that several of the unfortunate creatures must have been smothered in a very short time after the vessel was set in motion had they been allowed to remain where they were concealed. The escape from a frightful death was most providential. Four men, named Matthias M'LOUGHLIN, James DOHERTY, Thomas GILMORE, and Matthew CONNAUGHTON, whom one of the police had seen taken out of the coal hole, and against whom, on that account, it was supposed a conviction could be had, were later in the evening put on their trial in the clerk's office, Town Courthouse. ....The following evidence was taken:--Sub-Constable James M'GOLDRICK examined--I was present while a search was being made for the "stowaways;" the four men before me were found concealed in one of the coal bunkers....Two of the prisoners here positively asserted that they had no intention whatever of proceeding by the vessel. They were employed by Creala, and had business in the ship. Matthias M'Loughlin and James Doherty pleaded guilty to the charge against them. Captain MACKENZIE, the Government Emigration Officer, requested that the men should be dealt with as leniently as possible because they had admitted their offence. The magistrates, in consideration of Captain Mackenzie's recommendation, ordered the prisoners to pay a fine of 10s, or to be imprisoned for a week. The other two prisoners persisted in saying that they were innocent of the charge, but they were afterwards prevailed upon by persons in court to plead guilty. They were fined £1 each, or in default, ordered to be imprisoned for a fortnight. Mr. Burke said this was on account of their having refused at first to admit their guilt. He also said it was the determination of the bench to inflict the full penalty on stowaways in future. Such an unlawful practice should be put an end to.--GALWAY VINDICATOR.

County Cavan Newspaper Transcription Project

Ireland Home Page
County Cavan

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.