Cavan Observer
Published in Cavan, county Cavan

October 3, 1863


One of the most frightful accidents that ever occurred in this locality took place in this town about two o'clock on Monday last. A Mr. HOLLYWOOD was employed by the local Gas Company to repair one of the main pipes at the corner of Bridge street, opposite the drapery establishment of Mr. John GANNON. The pipe in question was laid across a closed-up wall, where formerly stood a public pump, and was covered over with very bad and insecure timber. A few seconds before the accident, Mr. John GANNON and Mr. James O'BRIEN were conversing with Mr. HOLLYWOOD in reference to the work he was doing. An explosion was suddenly heard, and Mr. Hollywood, and a number of persons, who were loitering about the open well, were seen instantly to disappear from the surface. Two small children, belonging to Mr. Hollywood--who had gone to bring their father home to dinner--a small boy, named Michael LOGAN, and a boy named LEONARD, were seen struggling in the water; but were fortunately picked up in safety by the bystanders. It was now evident that Mr. Hollywood and some others were immersed in the well, and the excitement became painfully intense. Distracted women were to be seen, in the agony of suspense, searching for missing friends, and in a few seconds the scene became one of a most heartrending character. All efforts to get up the unfortunate occupants of the well proved unavailing; and it was ultimately deemed advisable to apply for the military fire engine to pump the water out. The fire engine was at once procured, and worked by the staff of the Cavan militia, assisted by the Constabulary and townspeople. Theophilus Thompson, Esq., J.P., Sub-Inspector Napier, and Quartermaster CHINNERY, superintended the work. After about three hours pumping, the water was so far cleared out of the well as to render the heads of three persons visible at the bottom. They were all in an upright posture, and the first person taken up was a boy, about eight years of age, named Richard GOFF, the son of Thomas GOFF, a tobacco-spinner in the employment of Mr. Edward KENNEDY. William John HOLLYWOD was next taken up, and then a boy, named John MAGUIRE, of Ballyhaise, an apprentice to Mrs. KELLY, Main-street, who was the last occupant of the well. The explosion is supposed to have happened in consequence of the gas leaking from the main pipe across the top of the well remaining on the surface of the water underneath, and when Hollywood applied the lighted shaving to test the gas pipe he was in the act of repairing, the gas in the well became ignited, blew away the covering on top, when those about were engulfed into the vacuum. Sub-Inspector Napier had the bodies at once conveyed to Mr. John HART's public house, Bridge street, to await the arrival of the coroner, for whom a mounted policeman had been despatched. Hollywood was a native of Lisburn, a plumber by trade, and has left a wife and five helpless children to deplore his loss.


About seven o'clock, William POLLOCK, Esq., the coroner of the district, arrived in town, when a respectable jury were empannelled, of which Mr. REILLY, proprietor of the Globe Hotel, was foreman.

The first witness produced was William CROZIER, who deposed that himself and a man named John NIXON were employed by the Gas Company to strip the service pipe opposite Mr. Gannon's; stripped six or seven yards of the pipe, some of which lay acrost the well; when the pipe was stripped the deceased Hollywood lit a match, which he ran along it to discover where it was broken; the gas ignited, and Hollywood then went to the gas house to turn off the gas; the gas went out, and Hollywood broke off the injured part which he replaced with a new piece; Hollywood sent for some wood shavings and a lighted coal to dry the pipe before he would lead it; the moment Hollywood ran the lighted shaving along the pipe as far as the joint it exploded with a great noise; did not see Hollywood afterwards till he was taken up dead; witness was standing on the opposite end of the pipe, and the explosion raised up the pipe under him, and threw him back; the joint were the explosion took place was at the side of the well..

Joseph M'CANN sworn--Was convenient to the well when the explosion took place; saw Hollywood run the lighted shavings along the pipe...can't say where the gas was that caused the explosion.

James REILLY sworn--Was standing at Mr. Gannon's corner when the explosion took place; it raised the earth about 20 feet in the air.....

A boy named Thomas LEONARD (one of the persons rescued out of the well) proved that himself, Goff, and others were standing on the top of the well when the explosion took place; young Goff fell in before him; witness was lifted out of the well by a man named M'CANN.

At this stage of the proceedings, Head Constable MOORE applied for an adjournment of the inquire. Some of the jury were adverse to this course; but the Head Constable said he expected to be able to produce evidence as to the actual cause of the explosion. The inquest was then adjourned till Saturday.....


Saturday, October 3.

At eleven o'clock on this day the jury resumed the inquiry. After examining Mr. James BRADY, the Secretary of the Gas Company, and Mr. James O'BRIEN, one of the directors, the jury returned the following verdict:--"The deceased came to their deaths at Cavan, on the 28th Sept. last, by means of an accidental explosion of gas from a well at the Market Cross, in the town of Cavan. We are of opinion that the Directors of the Cavan Gas Company are very culpable; in the first instance, for having their service pipe so close to the well; secondly, that the said Directors had not employed competent men to manage their works; thirdly, that when making such a dangerous alteration, in such a public place, they should have placed a barrier or sentry for the protection of the public. We are also further of opinion, that the Town Commissioners of Cavan are culpable for not having had the well closed."



(Before Theophilus Thompson, Esq., J.P., Chairman, and William Babington, Esq., J.P.)


Walter ATCHESON summoned Joseph PRATT for a rescue of cattle.

The complainant proved that he went to execute a barristers' decree on the defendant; was accompanied by a bailiff named MASTERSON; seized a heifer, when Pratt called on his boy to bring out the gun; he then caught hold of witness and knocked him down, and made prods at him with a three-grained fork.

Pratt said the complainant had a pistol, and that the cattle seized did not belong to him.

The Court sent the case for trial to the Quarter Sessions.


Constable LYNCH, of Butlersbridge, summoned John MULLEN, for furiously driving a horse and car through the streets of that town, thereby endangering the lives of the people. The Constable proved the offense.

Mullen pleaded as an excuse that he was going to a wedding, and wanted to keep up with other cars that were before him.

Mr. Thompson said such conduct was highly reprehensible, and he understood it was not his first offence. He was fined 2s 6d and costs.

After disposing of a few unimportant cases, the Court rose.

SERIOUS ACCIDENT--An accident of an alarming nature happened on Wednesday to William ARCHDALL, Esq., of Castle Archdall, county Fermanagh. Mr. Archdall was in a tax cart near the castle looking at the hewing of some timber, and a tree fell in such a manner as to entangle him in its branches, and press him down in the vehicle, while the horse plunged for some time before the gentleman could be extricated. After suffering very serious injuries he was eventually go out, carried to the castle,and visited by the neighbouring medical men, while telegrams were despatched for Mrs. Archdall, who was on a visit, and Dr. Butcher, of Dublin. He has been ascertained that his chest is crushed, and three of his ribs broken; but Dr. Butcher states he is progressing favourably, and has a good hope of his eventual recovery.

October 10, 1863



A List of Applications received by the Clerk of the Peace from persons seeing


for the Sale of Beer, Spirits, &c., by Retail, within said County........on WEDNESDAY, the 14th day of October, 1863, immediately after the Grand Jury shall have been Sworn.

1. ALLEN, William Killeshandra Killeshandra Tullyhunco
2. BALL, Robert Charles Holbours Hill, Belturbet Anna Lower Loughtee
3. CULLEN, Anne Main Street, Stradone Larah Upper Loughtee
4. CLERKIN, John 32 Main Street, Cavan Urney Upper Loughtee
5. CONWAY, Catherine Ballyjamesduff Castleraghan Castleraghan
6. REILLY, Bernard Bridge Street, Cavan Urney Upper Loughtee
7. REILLY, Thomas Main Street, Arva Killeshandra Tullyhunco
8. WALSH, Patrick Mullalogher Anna  

Clerk of the Peace, County Cavan
Cavan, 24th September, 1863



A List of Applications received by the Clerk of the Peace from persons seeing


for the Sale of Beer, Spirits, &c., by Retail, within said County........on WEDNESDAY, the 21st day of October, 1863, immediately after the Grand Jury shall have been Sworn.

1. BROWNE, Samuel Shercock    
2. BELL, William Bailieborough Bailieborough Clonkee
3. CONLAN, Patrick Shercock Shercock Do
4. CRANSTON, Frances Bailieborough Bailieborough Do
5. GILLIS, Edward Shercock Shercock Do
6. LEVINS, John Leister Enniskeen Do
7. MAGEE, Michael Glassleck Shercock Do
8. MARTIN, Hugh Cootehill Drumgoon Tullygarvey
9. M'ENANEY, Peter Shercock Shercock Clonkee

Clerk of the Peace, County Cavan
Cavan, 1st October, 1863



A List of Applications received by the Clerk of the Peace from persons seeing


for the Sale of Beer, Spirits, &c., by Retail, within said County........on MONDAY, the 19th day of October, 1863, immediately after the Grand Jury shall have been Sworn.

1. GALLIGAN, James 15, Main-street, Cavan Urney Upper Loughtee
2. REILLY, Catherine Balleyconnel Tomregan Tullyhaw

Clerk of the Peace, County Cavan
Cavan, 29th September, 1863


THE LATE ACCIDENT BY THE GAS EXPLOSION--We are glad to find that the call of charity on behalf of the families of the three persons who lost their lives by the above sad accident, has already been responded to in the most generous manner by all classes. Already upwards of £100 has been collected, in sums varying from £20 from Lord Farnham, down to 1s. Such a manifestation of substantial sympathy on the part of the gentry of the locality, and the merchants and traders of the town, affords a noble proof of the generous feelings which they are actuated, when a case demanding public commiseration appeals to their benevolence; and it must be consoling to those bereaved by the calamity to see such a sympathising spirit evinced on their behalf.


On Wednesday last our usually quiet town was enlivened by a marriage--we regret to say a rare occurrence; the second daughter of William ANDERSON, Esq., Manager, Provincial Bank of Ireland, Cavan, was led to the altar by Robert Bell BOOTH, Esq., Drumcarbin House, Cavan...About a quarter past eleven the young, lovely, and accomplished bride entered the Church, leaning on her father, followed by six beautiful bridesmaids--Miss ANDERSON (sister to the bride), Miss BOOTH (cousin to the bridegroom), Miss BOOKER, Belfast; Miss Dorinda HAMILTON, Belfast; and Miss HILL, Cavan--all dressed in white, and wearing veils and wreathes.....The ceremony was performed by the Rev. R. B. BOOTH, A.M., assisted by our beloved Rector, the Rev. H. MURRAY, A.M., after which Mr. ANDERSON entertained the elite of Cavan and surrounding neighbourhood to a sumptuous 'dejeuner". The happy pair left enroute for Killarney; and in the evening a ball and supper were given on a munificent scale, and dancing was kept up until an early hour....

October 17, 1863



In the Matter of the Estate of
WILLIAM LAWLER, Assignee of RICHARD PRATT, an Insolvent.
Owner and Petitioner

Continued in the name of RICHARD PRATT, Owner.

TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, before the Hon. Judge LONGFIELD, in his Court on the Inns-quay, in the City of Dublin, on TUESDAY, the 17th day of November, 1863, at the hour of Twelve o'clock noon, in one lot, one divided eighth part of the lands of Colps, otherwise Halpstead, containing 53 a., 2r., 11½p. Irish plantation measure equal to 36a. 3r., 3p. statute measure, held under fee farm grant, situate in the barony of Clonkee and county of Cavan, producing the net yearly rent of £35 14s. 0½.

Dated this 14th day of July, 1863


THOMAS JAMESON, Solicitor having carriage of sale, No. 189, Great Brunswick-street, Dublin.

The lands are situate within two and a half miles of the town of Bailieborough, and two and a half miles of the town of Kingscourt.

For rentals and further particulars apply at the Landed Estates Court, Dublin, to

THOMAS CHAMBERS, Esq., the agent of the Estate, Bailieborough, or


(Before Wm. Babington, Esq., J.P., Chairman, and Robert Burrowes, Esq., D.L.)


A young man named Thomas O'BRIEN was charged by the police of the Stradone station with drunkeness; he was also charged by Sub-constable THOMPSON with the assault and using threatening language towards him while engaged in the charge of his duty.

The constable proved that the accused was creating a noise in FARRELLY's public-house in Stradone, and when trying to remove him he flung a jug at witness; when conveying him to the bridewell he threatened that he would take witness's life.

Two other members of the constabulary proved that the accused was a man of a most turbulent character.

The court fined O'Brien 10s or a fortnight's imprisonment for the assault and drunkenness, and bound him to keep the peace for 12 months for his threatening language to sub-constable Thompson.

After disposing of a few unimportant cases the court rose.


The Quarter Sessions for this division of the County, commenced on Wednesday, before JOSHUA CLARKE, Esq., Q.C., Chairman of the County. His worship entered the Court at 10 o'clock, and at once proceeded with the hearing of


There are six cases--in none of which was there any opposition.

In the case of Michael M'GREARRY, Mr. Armstrong applied on the part of Mr. L'ESTRANGE and Mr. BERESFORD, the landlords of the insolvent, that he should not be discharged until surrendering possession of his holding.

Mr. Knipe said the insolvent was tenant on the lands in which a Cause Petition had been filed by Mr. Herceles ELLIS, and the case availed the decision of the Lord Chancellor.

His Worship said the question as to possession would rest with the official assignee.

The insolvent was discharged.



His Worship then addressed the Grand Jury...the Grand Jury then retired and his worship proceeded to hear applications for spirit licence.

The following magistrates were on the bench:--Robert BURROWES, D.L., W. M. HICKSON, R.M.; William HUMPHRYS, D.L.; Captain ERSKINE, Capt. CARDEN, John O'BRIEN.

Ralph HARMAN, Esq., Sub-Sheriff, was in attendance.


Joseph OWENS was the first prisoner placed at the bar, charged with assaulting and rescuing a cow from a bailiff, named Patrick GALLIGAN, at Corlea, on the 7th instant.

Patt GALLIGAN sworn and examined by Mr. B. Armstrong, Sessional Crown Solicitor--Lives at Kilnaleck; went to execute a decree against a man named M'CORMACK; seized a cow on M'Cormack's land; after seizing the cow, he was followed by the prisoner and his son with sticks, who used sticks towards him, and took away the cow.

Cross-examined by Mr. Knipe--Did not know at the time he seized the cow that it was the property of Owens but witness; did not give her up peaceably--went afterwards and made a seizure of some straw belonging to M'Cormack.

M'Cormack, the defendant, said the decree was produced, and deposed that the cow seized by Galligan belong to Owens, but was on milk with him; told Owens that his cow was taken for witness's debt; Galligan seized straw, which he had sold to his brother, to enable him to pay the decree.....

The jury, without leaving the box, acquitted the prisoner...


Patrick ROONEY was placed at the bar, charged with assaulting James FITZPATRICK, a pauper in the Cavan workhouse. The prisoner is a discharged soldier, and a most violent and notorious character, who has given great annoyance to the local magistrates, the gaol authorities, and the workhouse officers. When called on to plead to the indictment, he replied in a boisterous way that he did give the prosecutor (Fitzpatrick) a slight blow to keep his regular, and that he (Rooney), who was one of those present at the taking of the city of Canton, was not so mean as to strike an old pauper if he did not deserve it......

Dr. MOORE proved that he was a man of violent temper, but not of unsound mind.

His worship sentenced the prisoner to six months imprisonment.


Bernard DUFFY was arraigned for stealing £1 11s from Mr. LYNCH, of Arvagh.

The prosecutor deposed that he was in the station office of the Irish North Western Railway on the 8th September; while transacting some business with the clerk in the office, he left his purse on the counter, when he turned round he missed the purse, and the clerk and himself went out of the office, and saw the prisoner running away; ran after him, when he met a man, named Richard PICKENS, and he said he would give him 10s. if he would follow the prisoner....

The prisoner said he lifted the purse off the railway counter through mistake.....

The jury, without leaving the box, found the prisoner "guilty."......The prisoner was sentenced to six months' imprisonment.


Patrick JONES was arraigned for stealing a heifer, the property of John SMITH, of Ballyhaise.

James M'NANCE was the first witness produced. He proved that he lived near Dunnalk, and attended the fair of Ballyhaise on the 13th of July last; bought a red heifer from the prisoner at £3 7s 6d; on the next day the prosecutor claimed the heifer as his property; the heifer was then in a field under the hill of Cavan, where he had bought her to sell at the fair next day; paid him with three sovereigns and the remainer in silver.........

Mr. David VIGOR proved that the prisoner bore a good character....The jury found the prisoner guilty, and his Worship ...... sentenced the prisoner to three years' penal servitude.


Jane HARRIS was arraigned for stealing butter the property of Hugh BRADY of Larah.

Hugh Brady, sworn and examined by the Crown Solicitor--On the night of the 2d of Sept. his house was entered through a window; the window was broke; 20lbs or 30bs of butter was taken out of a firkin; saw afterwards butter in the custody of Sub-constable THOMPSON, which corresponded with the quantity he lost.

Sub-constable Thompson sworn and examined by Mr. B. Armstrong--I am stationed at Stradone, and was returning from Cavan on the night in question; met the prisoner when about two miles, about ten o'clock on that night; there was another woman in her company; the prisoner had a bundle on her back, and witness asked her what it contained; she said potatoes; on feeling the bundle he thought otherwise; the prisoner put her back to a ditch, and let the bundle fall; got the bundle out of the ditch, also a chemise and a linen sheet; there was 23 lbs. of butter, made up in a loose lump; the prisoner was cautioned by the magistrates, and after that caution she admitted taking the butter. She was then sentenced to twelve months' imprisonment.


His Worship took a good deal of pains in enquiring into the books of the process officers. That of Mr. Thomas SMITH, Ballyduff, got a great deal of credit, as being very properly and accurately kept, and if the other officers followed his example it would afford a great deal of satisfaction to the Court.

The remaining cases will appear in our next.


The remains of the late lamented Richard WHATELY, Archbishop of Dublin, were on Thursday morning removed from the palace, Stephen's Green, for interment in the vault of Christ's Church Cathedral...

The breastplate bore the following inscription:--

Lord Archbishop of Dublin,
Died 8th October, 1863
Aged 76 years."


The Rev. W. E. JAMES, formerly of Drumkenrin, has resigned the curacy of Yeovil, Somerset, and has been, by the Rev. C. KEMBLE, Rector of Bath, appointed to the curacy of Abbey Church, Bath, value £260 a year, with other important advantages.

The Church of Tullemelan has lately been renovated and beautified by the Ecclesiastical Commissioner, at an outlay of £150, half of which sum was contributed by the Right Hon. the Earl of Donoughmore. On Sunday last, the Rev. Dr. FOLEY preached to a full congregation....

The Rev. William C. MAGEE, D.D., Rector of Enniskillen, and formerly of Quebec Chapel, London, is to preach in Cashel Cathedral at noon service on tomorrow (Sunday), October 11.

INQUEST--An inquest was held on Monday by Dr. KIRWAN on the body of Richard BARRY, butcher of Summer-hill, who was killed on Saturday morning, on the Cabra-road, as already mentioned in the Dublin papers. He was thrown from his taxcart by the wheel having gone on the footpath, and whilst on the ground, the wheel of a float passed over his body, inflicting such injuries that he died in a few hours afterwards in the Mater Misericordiae Hospital. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the facts, and expressed an opinion that no blame was attributed to the driver of the float.

October 24, 1863


DANGEROUS ACCIDENT--A boy, named Edward GORMLY, engaged on Wednesday last in a flax mill at Killeshandra, belonging to Mr. HAMILTON, of Castlehamilton, was accidentally forced in upon the machinery by a weight of flax falling upon him. His hand and forearm were dreadfully mangled, having got entangled in one of the wheels. He was at once seen by Dr. KENNY, who directed his removal to the County Infirmary, where on his arrival it was deemed necessary immediately to amputate the arm, which was accordingly done. We hear the young boy so far goes on favourably.

FIRE--About two o'clock on Tuesday last, the back premises of Mr. M'CLINTOCK, cabinet maker, of this town, were discovered on fire. At one time it was greatly to be apprehended that the flames would communicate with the workshop of Mr. M'Clintock, which contained articles of an ignitable character. This fear, however, was soon dispelled by the timely arrival of the Constabulary, who, by the promptitude and activity they displayed in getting on the roof of the burning premises, and tearing away the ignited thatch, prevented the fire extending. Captain ERSKINE's fire engine was immediately on the spot, and Theophilus THOMPSON, Esq., thought it advisable to order out the military fire engine. In about an hour the fire was extinguished, having done no greater damage than some injury to the roof of the thatched premises where it originated.


On Monday evening, William POLLOCK, Esq., coroner of the district, held an inquest in the County Infirmary, on the body of a woman named Margaret DENNENY, an inhabitant of the town, who died about half-past eleven o'clock on that day, outside the Infirmary gate. A jury having been empannelled, of which Mr. William FINLAY was foreman, the inquiry was proceeded with.

The first witness produced was Patrick DENNENY, the husband of the deceased. He deposed that he was a labourer, and saw his wife alive at six o'clock on the morning in question; she was complaining; on the previous evening she made a cake of which she partook with some tea; she then complained that her stomach was bad, and that she felt as if her heart was breaking; deceased said in the morning that she would go to the dispensary to get something to relieve her; she eat nothing in the morning, and witness did not see her after till she was dead in the infirmary.

Mary ORANGE proved that she was standing at the corner of Wesley street, when she saw the deceased fall close to the infirmary gate; went to her assistance, and found her retching; helped to lift her but deceased never spoke after she fell; witness called a policeman to her assistance, who thought to get her into the infirmary, but did not succeed in doing so.

Acting Constable GORDON deposed that he was on town duty on that day; his attention was directed by the last witness to the deceased.....witness rapped at the infirmary door and inquired for a doctor; was told by a woman through the window that there was no doctor there; asked the open the door, but she replied that she could not, as deceased had "falling sickness," and could not be admitted; witness then went to the residence of her husband who was not at home; then went to the Half-Acre for her sister; and on his return deceased was dead in the infirmary....To a Juror--Believes it was one of the nurses who spoke to him through the window.......the deceased was not dead at the time he rapped at the infirmary door; the nurse would not open the door.

Dr. MATHEWS deposed that he saw deceased about half past eleven o'clock on that day....made a port-mortem examination of the body, and found a large artery ruptured close to the region of the heart, which must have caused immediate death.

The foreman observed that it was an inhuman act not to admit the deceased when the constable made application....

The nurse who declined to open the infirmary door for the policeman was produced, and she stated, in reply to the foreman, that there was a rule in the house not to admit any person having the "falling sickness;" it was the matron who told witness that the deceased could not be admitted.

This witness at first objected to be sworn, but on being told by the coroner she should give sworn testimony when the jury requested it, she ultimately consented. On being sworn she stated that her named was Ann HOLDEN, and was a nurse in the infirmary for many years....

Foreman--Can you tell who admitted the deceased?

Witness--I can't say, but heard it was LEE the porter.

Lee said he admitted the deceased, as he considered he would not be justified in refusing her in the state she was in.....

Miss REIMER, the matron was sent for, but for some time refused to make her appearance. At length she did so, but then refused to take the book and give sworn testimony.

Coroner--If you were the first lady in the land you can be compelled to give evidence when it is deemed necessary for the inquiry.

Miss REIMER (excitedly). I never took an oath. I will not swear.

The coroner explained that she might make an asservation according to the denomination to which she might belong.

Miss Reimer--I'll hold up my hand, but will not swear.........

Lee was called in, and stated that it was his duty to attend the door; but frequently when absent it was attended by other officials of the house. Anne Holden the nurse did not tell him to open the door when the policeman came there.

The jury persisted in having Miss Reimer sworn, and the coroner remonstrated with her to comply, but she still reiterated that she never took an oath and would not swear.

A young gentleman named MURRAY, who was present, recommended Miss Reimer to comply with the wishes of the coroner.

Miss Reimer then said as Mr. Murray had given her leave she would allow herself to be sworn. She deposed that her name was Mary Jane Reimer, and that she was matron of the infirmary; saw deceased in the gutter convenient to the infirmary gate; did not think she was bad; though at the time that it was one of these Dublin schemes to excite pity, as there was a carriage at the gate; told the nurse, Holden, not to open the door as it was Lee's duty to attend to it....

Peter Lee, the Porter, was the next witness examined. He deposed that he did not see constable Gordon when he rapped at the infirmary door; the nurse, Mrs. Holden, did not tell him he was there; when the two men and the Rev. Mr. M'SHERRY, came with the woman to the door he opened it and admitted them; the deceased was left in the waiting room, and the clergymen requested of him to go for a doctor; went at once for Doctor Mathews, who lost no time in coming, and the moment he saw the woman he declared life extinct.....

The foreman considered Mr. Lee had acted very properly and humanely, and in this opinion, the jury coincided.

This concluded the inquiry, and the jury, after a short deliberation found "That the deceased died from a rupture of an artery close to the region of the heart."


October 16, at Lisanode, Moate, the wife of Frederick W. RUSSELL, Esq., of a son and heir.


October 23, in Belturbet, Mrs. MAGENNIS, mother of the Rev. Patrick MAGENNIS, Roman Catholic Archdeacon of Kilmore. Mrs. MAGENNIS is very much regretted by the inhabitants of Belturbet and its vicinity. By her death the poor of Belturbet have been deprived of one of their best friends.

SHOCKING ACCIDENT AT SEA--On the arrival of the St. Patrick, one of the Drogheda Steam Packet Company's vessels, on Friday morning, news of a horrifying accident at sea was received. It appears that a young man named Patrick HAGAN, a dealer in oranges, who was previously residing in Drogheda, took his passage from Liverpool, where he had been for some time, on board that vessel. When a short distance from Holyhead he was observed close to the paddle-box. A few minutes after the other passengers were startled by the falling overboard. He was drawn by the current within the reach of the paddle-wheels, and before assistance could be rendered by a corpse (sic). It is reported that having run away from home, he was afraid, from several circumstances, to meet his father, and thus was tempted to commit suicide; but this is a matter upon which there appears to be no certainty.--DROGHEDA PAPER.

October 31, 1863


Arva--James Kemp
Ballyconnell--Thomas Moore, W. M'Garvey
Ballyhaise--Francis Mulligan
Bailieboro'--Andrew Smith, George Mahood
Belturbet--George Ingham, Hugh Magovern
Ballinagh--Patt Rabbit
Butlersbridge--Henry Jones
Ballyduff--Thomas Smith
Bawnboy--Launcelet Fyfe
Blacklion--John Nixon
Cavan--James M'Keon, William Fegan, and James Montgomery
Cootehill--Farrell M'Govern, and P. Reilly
Crossdoney--Edward Beatty
Killeshandra--Denis Magrath & C. Cowan
Kingscourt--Thomas Argue
Kilnaleck--Arthur M'Clean
Mountnugemt--William Fullam
Mullagh--Michael Farrelly, jun., Moynalty
Redhills--Robert Freeman
Shercock--James Beatty
Stradone--J. Kelly, Patt Monaghan
Swanlinbar--Hugh Kennedy
Virginia--George M'Quaid

ORDERED--That John Kelly of Stradone and Robert Freeman of Redhills, shall for the future be the Process Officers to serve all Civil Bills for the Cootehill Division--to be heard at Cootehill Sessions; but in no case can a Process Server refuse to serve a Civil Bill unless it interferes with his attendance in Sessions.

(Before Wm. Babington, Esq., J.P., Chairman, and Robert Burrowes, D.L.)

A young man named SMITH was charged by Mr. James REILLY, the Postmaster of Stradone, with writing to him a threatening letter. He proved that he got the following document in the letter-box; when he saw it addressed to himself, he did not put the post office stamp on it; gave the letter to the sergeant of the constabulary at Stradone. The following is the letter:--

"I sent you one of those before and for fear that you here not heerd of it i will send you This make your Sun quit raising the post from Stradone to Carihilla or if not he will dye as sure as i rite thiss no dought be revenged of him smokeing and all no more warning will be given only this donte be deceved for i will not there is the murtherer with his pistol Mick."

A coffin, a pistol, and some hieroglyphics was at the bottom of the document.

The constable proved that he got the letter from the last witness; he went to the residence of the prisoner's father, where he got a copy book; the prisoner's sister told witness that the copy book belonged to her brother; on comparing the copy book with the letter, he felt satisfied that the writing corresponded, when brought before Mr. Burrowes; the prisoner admitted that the copy book found at his father's belonged to him.

The prisoner was committed to stand his trial at the Quarter Sessions.


A suspicious-looking character, named SMITH, was brought up, charged by Sub-constable HAMILTON with having two shirts in his possession which had been stolen from Mr. BRADY, Bridge-street.

Brady's girl identified the shirts as her master's property. A shop boy of Mr. SMALL's, pawnbroker, proved that the prisoner pledged one of the shirts in his master's pawn office.

The constable produced several pawn office tickets, from different towns throughout the country, which he found in the prisoner's possession. He was committed for trial.

After disposing of a few trespass cases, the Court rose.

INQUEST--On Tuesday last, W. POLLOCK, Esq., coroner of the district, held an inquest in the county gaol, on the body of a man named Philip MAGAURAN. It appeared from the medical testimony adduced, that the deceased died of apoplexy, a verdict to that effect was returned.


Joshua CLARKE, Esq., Q.C., Chairman of the County, resumed the business of the Sessions on Monday.


Mr. Edward KENNEDY, a general merchant in this town, was sued by several farmers of the district for disposing to them for Swedish turnip seed, an (illegible) resembling rape as a plant.

His Worship observed that he found by the Government returns that there were 5,000 acres of hemp sown in the county Cavan, and as he was quite ignorant as to a matter of the kind he would wish to have the assistance of some practical gentlemen.

A jury of three was then selected--Messrs. Thomas REILLY, Henry NESBITT, and ______MEIKLE.

The plaintiffs proved that they purchased Swedish turnip seed in Mr. Kennedy's shop; the seed grew the plant now produced. (The plant appeared very like what is known as 'Kol Rabi" in England.)

Mr. Henry TELFER was produced on the part of Mr. Kennedy. He deposed that he was a Scotchman and a practical agriculturist; the plant produced was a hybrid between rape and turnip; the same kind might grow from the purest turnip seed, and side by side with Sweede (sic) turnip; a great deal depended on the manner it was cultivated; in one field you might have a spurious plant and in another good turnip from the one side.

His Worship considered it would be more satisfactory for the jury to see the crop of some of the plaintiffs. By doing so he believed they would be better able to form an opinion that from any evidence they might hear............At twelve o'clock the jury return into Court and the hearing of the case was proceeded with.....

Mr. Laurence LAMB, a farmer, was produced on the part of Mr. Kennedy. He proved that he was under agent of the School lands, and that he purchased 20lb. of Swedish turnip seed at Mr. Kennedy's establishment; the seed he got produced good turnips...

Mr. William REID, a Scotch agriculturist, in the employment of Mr. HUMPHRY's of Ballyhaise, was the next witness examined. He considered the plant now produced a spurious turnip and not a hybrid....

One of the plaintiffs stated that he purchased turnip seed from Mr. DOUGLAS which he sowed nine days later than what he got from Mr. Kennedy, and Douglas's seed produced a good crop while that from Kennedy's only grew a plant like the one produced......

The jury, after a short deliberation, found in favour of Mr. Kennedy, and dismisses were obtained against all the plaintiffs.


Mr. Michael William REDDY sued Mr. Martin BEATTY for £5 5s., which he thought was reasonable to recover from defendant, for work and labour done and performed by the plaintiff for defendant, in composing, writing, and procuring to be inserted in several newspapers, in the month of April last, at his defendant's special instance, and request a certain article of matter headed or entitled "Landlord Liberality in the County Cavan," in which Edward SAUNDERSON, Esq., and John E. VERNON, Esq., the landlord and agent of defendant are eulogised and extolled, and which article or matter was inserted in certain copies of the IRISH TIMES, FREEMAN'S JOURNAL, DUBLIN MORNING NEWS, MEATH PEOPLE, DUNDALK DEMOCRAT, and BELFAST MORNING NEWS, printed an published in said month of April...

Reddy proved that he was the oldest reported in Ireland. Knew the defendant (Beatty) to be a bailiff or under agent of Mr. Vernon's; met him opposite to Mr. LOUGH's, when he authorised him to insert a laudatory paragraph in reference to Mr. Vernon having given an abatement of rent to his tenants......

A jury of three--namely, Messrs. T. W. SIXSMITH, Henry TELFER, and _______IRWIN, were empannelled to try the issue......

Mr. Armstrong said it was quite idle for the plaintiff to sue his client for £5, because he gave information which he was collecting for the public press.

Mr. Martin Beatty, the defendant, was examined, and deposed that he met Reddy in a shop in Cavan, when he asked him if it were true as to Mr. Vernon and Mr. Saunderson giving an abatement to the tenants. He said he had instructions to that effect; and as he knew him to be collecting information for the Press, he mentioned the matter. Gave Reddy 1s. when he said he was badly off and wanted to pay for his lodging.....

His Worship said the question for the jury was if a contract had been entered into, and had the defendant stipulated with the plaintiff to perform a certain work......The jury found for the defendant.

The business of the Sessions terminated on Wednesday evening, when his Worship left town.


October 26, at 4, Salem Terrace, the wife of Charles R. MACNAMARA, Esq., of a daughter.


It is with sincere regret we have to announce the death of Miss Kate MAGENNIS, which took place at her residence in Belturbet, on Wednesday last, in the 25th year of her age. Miss MAGENNIS only survived her mother a few days, and was considered to be one of the most amiable and accomplished young ladies in this county. She is universally regretted by all, as was shown by the vast concourse that accompanied her remains to the grave. She was sister to our much respected Archdeacon of Kilmore.

NOVEL PLAN FOR MAKING A HALF HOLIDAY--At Lurgan Quarter Sessions, last week, before Hans H. HAMILTON, Esq., Q.C., Chairman, a young girl, some fifteen or sixteen years of age, named Ellen MARTIN, was charged with having on the 14th instant maliciously placed a drag-weight in the teeth of a mill-wheel, the property of Messrs. Hugh and William IRWIN, of Portadown, thereby injuring the same. The prisoner was a mill-worker, and was about the last one would suspect of so malicious an act, but it appeared in the course of the trial that she had done it at the suggestion of some of her co-workers, and for the purpose of obtaining a half holiday. It seemed, moreover, that it was a regular custom with the workpeople, when they wanted a half-day, to act similarly towards the wheel, the proprietors always paying the wages the same as if the business had gone on, never suspecting the cause of the interruption.--Miss Martin succeeded so far as to have served her companions, and, as she appeared so anxious for for rest, the Chairman ordered her three calendar months' case in the county prison at Armagh.--ULSTER GAZETTE.

County Cavan Newspaper Transcription Project

Ireland Home Page
County Cavan

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.