Cavan Observer
Published in Cavan, county Cavan

August 1, 1863



(Before William Babington, Esq., J.P., Chairman, and Captain Erskine, J.P.)


William SMITH summoned John KANE for an assault. Smith's face was greatly disfigured, and he bore evident marks of having received a severe beating. Since the occurrence he has been an inmate of the County Infirmary.

Smith deposed that on the evening of the 21st of July he was in HAUGHTON's public house in Cavan; met Kane there, and they had an argument; Kane followed him into the street, where he attacked him with a stick, knocked him down, and kicked him in the face.

In reply to a question from Kane, the witness denied that he threatened to break his nose, or that he returned to his own house for a stick.

Patt SMITH, son of complainant's, proved that his father and Kane were quarrelling in the street; Kane was striking his father with a stick; witness separated them; his father received the marks he bears from Kane.

Head Constable MOORE proved to the arrest of Kane....A witness named COSGRAVE proved that he was in company with Smith on the night in question....Mr. HAUGHTON was brought forward as a witness, but he said he knew nothing whatever of the assault.

Alick M'MANUS proved that Smith had a blackthorn on the night he was assaulted; Smith's son went away and left his father and Kane quarrelling; can't say which of them struck first...

Informations were accordingly taken, and the case returned for trial. Kane was admitted to bail.


A returned convict, named Thomas BRADY, was brought before the Court, on suspicion of being concerned in a recent attempt to rob the houses of Mr. Hugh BRADY, of Butlersbridge. It appears that a few nights since, some thieves entered the house of Mr. Hugh Brady, and were in the act of conveying away property when an alarm was given; but, although the police were outside the house ready to capture the thieves on their exit, the parties somehow managed to effect their escape through a back part of the premises.

Sub-Constable James ROSS proved to having arrested the prisoner on suspicion of having attempted to rob Mr. Brady's house; the prisoner was a returned convict......Head Constable MOORE said if the prisoner was remanded for a week he might be able to produce further evidence.

Mr. Babington--I do not consider there is sufficient evidence before the Court to justify a remand, and I would regard it as an infringement on the liberty of the subject to do so.

The prisoner was discharged.

There were no other cases of any public interest before the Court.


At his residence, Ardmore, county Cavan, in the 73d year of his age, Rev. Samuel CROOKSHANKS, for upwards of fifty years Seceding Minister of the Coronary Congregation. The Presbyterian Church did not possess a more earnest Minister, or one who by his unostentatious Christian character more effectually preached the Gospel of peace and good will. He is sincerely regretted by all who had the advantage of his society.

DEATH OF LORD MACDONALD--After a protracted illness, Lord Macdonald died on Saturday last at Bessingby Hall, Yorkshire. From his impaired health, the mournful event has been no surprise to his friends. The late Right Hon. Godfrey William Wentworth Macdonald, Lord Macdonald, Baron of Slate, county Antrim, in the peerage of Ireland, and a baronet of Nova Scotia, was the eldest of the two sons of Godfrey, third lord, by Louise Maria, daughter of Mr. Farley EDAIR. He was born March 7, 1809, consequently he was in the 55th year of his age. On the death of his father, in October, 1832, he succeeded to the family honours; and in August, 1845, he married Maria Anne, eldest daughter and coheir of the late Mr. George Thomas WYNDHAM, of Cromer Hall, Norfolk, and daughter of the Countess of Listowel; the late lord was formerly in the army.

A SHAMELESS SWINDLER--At the Petty Session in Dungannon on Monday, the church-wardens of Drumglass and Donaghmore prosecuted a man named LINDSAY under the following circumstances:--He is in regular employment, and lives in a part of the parish of Drumglass (called Creevagh) farthest from Dungannon. Some time since he went to the curate of Drumglass, stating that his child had died, and that he was unable to bury it. He, of course, obtained the assistance he sought for, but the portion of the parish in which he lived being at the distance of several miles, and lying into the district of the neighbouring clergyman, the curate of Dungannon did not see him afterwards. Shortly after he came back, stating that a second child had died; he obtain assistance, as in the former case. In a very few days after a third child had died, according to the statement. Well, assistance was obtained as before. Immediately after this he came, stating that his wife had died. He then obtained some money to bury her. Shortly afterwards the curate on visiting the place, found that the whole story, from first to last, had been a fabrication. Calling on the curate of Donaghmore, they found, by comparing notes, that they had been both victimised by the impostor, and the Church wardens forthwith took the matter up. The magistrates on the bench expressed their condemnation of it in strong terms and sent the case to the Quarter Sessions. A. M. LYLE, Esq., J.P., recognised him as one whom he had to expel from his neighbourhood, his wife having formerly got money from himself, on the ground that her husband was dead.--"Belfast News-Letter."

FATAL BOAT ACCIDENT ON CARLINGFORD LOUGH--THREE LIVES LOST--On Wednesday evening an accident, attended with melancholy consequences, took place on Carlingford Lough. A party of six, consisting of two ladies and four gentlemen, started in the morning from Newry for Carlingford in a gig. The boat was rather light in make, but the party arrived safely at their destination, and started again for their home about three o'clock. The wind was blowing sharp at the time, and, at the place called "The Pool," the waves broke over the gig, and gradually filled it. Surrounded by high waves, the water from which was every moment pressing them on in their danger, the gentlemen in the boat loudly called for help, and the terror of the unfortunate ladies was agonising, while little, if any, assistance could be afforded. The cries of distress at length reached land--not, however, before the gig had cast them into the water. A man named M'KEVITT, who was working a short distance from the shore on the mountain side, heard the cries from the lough, and he at once hurried to the shore where he found several boatmen, who speedily launched a boat and hurried off to the rescue of the now drowning party. On reaching the scene of the accident, the boatmen found that already the two ladies and the younger of the gentlemen had sunk exhausted into a watery grave. The names of the party are as follow:--Two Miss ROWLEYs, Tandragee; Mr. ROWLEY, jun.; Mr. M'CARTHY, Dublin; Master Isaac Towers GLENNY, and Master Francis GLENNY, both of Newry. On searching closely, the boatmen found still clinging to the sides of the gig, keel uppermost, Mr. ROWLEY, Mr. M'CARTHY, and Mr. Francis GLENNY. All three were in a very exhausted state, especially the two latter, who could not have battled on many minutes longer. The boatmen conveyed the rescued persons to shore in a very few minutes, and medical aid was despatched for. Dr. NUGENT, of Carlingford, and Dr. CRAWFORD, of Warrenpoint, were as soon as possible in attendance, and rendered every assistance that medical skill could suggest. The three young gentlemen were, after some time, restored. As soon as intelligence of the accident had reached Warrenpoint, large numbers crowded down to the beach to hear the amount of truth there was in the report, and as soon as the full details became known a deep gloom was cast over the entire neighbourhood. Boats were despatched from all quarters to the scene of the accident, and were engaged until late last night in searching for the bodies, but without success.

August 8, 1863




Under "The Court of Chancery (Ireland) Regulation Act 1856"

In the Matter of Arthur MAGAURAN, Petitioner;

The Rev. Terence MAGAURAN, and Michael MAGAURAN, Respondents

I HEREBY require all persons claiming to be Creditors, or unpaid pecuniary Legatees of Arthur Magauran, late of Corraghaglass, in the County of Cavan, farmer, deceased, on or before the 1st day of October next, to furnish in writing to the Rev. Terence Magauran, of Kilsallagh, in the County of Cavan, Roman Catholic Curate, and Michael Magauran of Moonceasauran, in the said County, farmer, Administrators of the said Arthur Magauran, the amount and particulars of their several demands...

I also require all persons having Claims affecting the real and freehold Estate of the said Arthur Magauran to file same, at my Chambers, Inns' Quay, in the City of Dublin, on or before the 20th day of October next, in order that same may be proceeded on and proved according to the General Orders of the 19th May, 1857.

Dated this 30th day of July, 1863.


Master in Chancery.

JOHN GRAHAM, Solicitor for the Petitioner,
No. 35, Upper Ormond Quay, Dublin.


SUDDEN DEATH--A painful instance of the uncertainty of life occurred convenient to this town on Thursday. The widow of a respectable farmer named JOHNSTON, residing at Corlislalee, went with her servant girl to dig potatoes in her garden, and after being so engaged for a short time, the deceased complained of a pain in her side, suddenly fell; and expired instantaneously. Next day, Wm. POLLOCK, Esq., one of the coroners of the county, held an inquest on the body. The above facts were deposed to, and a verdict of died of disease of the heart returned.

The Rev. Charles LESLIE has arrived at Corasber, Cavan.

Mrs. COOTE has arrived at Belmont Forrest, Cootehill, Cavan.

THE EGMONT CASE--This important case has suddenly terminated by a compromise. It is generally understood that the terms of the compromise are that Sir Lionel DARRELL and the other plaintiffs are to receive 120,000l. in lieu of the estates devised by the will in dispute, and that Lord Egmont is to pay all the costs.

LYTTLE v. REA--This protracted case has at length come to an end, after occupying eleven days. On Thursday morning, the Hon. Judge HAYES commenced his charge to the jury, which lasted about an hour and a half, after which the jury retired. After being absent about a quarter of an hour, they returned into court, and handed in a verdict for the prosecutor on all the issues. Sentence will not be pronounced, the issue being from the Queen's Bench, until the November Term. The defendant took exception to everything up to the last, and will carry the case as far as he can.



(Before Theophilus Thompson, Esq., J.P., Chairman; and W. M. Hickson, Esq., R.M.)


Mr. James BRADY, of Cavan, summoned Mr. Charles STEWART, a neighbour of his, for the trespass of four hens in his garden. The complainant proved that defendant's hens were in the habit of coming into his garden and injuring his early potatoes; he frequently caught them there.

Mr. Stewart said he could make a similar complaint against Mr. Brady, and that he received great annoyance from both himself and his wife.

Mr. Thompson--It is Mr. Brady's complaint we have not to dispose of. If you have any complaint against him, you have a like remedy.

On reference to the act of parliament the penalty was found to be a halfpenny a hen, which fine was imposed with costs.


Mary Anne GEERY summoned William HEWITT for 9s. wages. The plaintiff proved that she hired with defendant for half a year, but before that time expired she got sick, and had to go into the workhouse infirmary; she was still in the workhouse under medical treatment; she was two months with defendant, which amounted to the sum sued for at the rate she was hired.

Decree granted with costs.


Owen BRADY summoned Julia SMITH for trespassing on his burial plot, in the churchyard of Annagelliffe, by interring her son there. Brady said he did not wish to press the case, nor would he remove the dead man, provided he got a guarantee that no more of them would go there.

Mrs. Smith--There is no more to go in it but myself.

Brady--But you won't go there, nor any one belonging to you. I am minding that burial ground for friends in Australia, and I will permit no one else to go there.

Mrs. Smith--You will not refuse a place to an old woman of my kind.

Brady--I will refuse it. I won't allow it.

The Court said they had no jurisdiction in the case.

The parties then retired, Brady protesting that he would allow no person to be buried in the plot till the "travellers returned from New Zealand."

The Court then rose.


On the 8th inst., at the residence of her father in this town, Eleanor, eldest daughter of Mr. Edward FAGAN, auctioneer.


One of the bodies--that of Miss Mary Anne ROWLEY--having been found on Sunday morning, an inquest was held today, before Joseph CALLAN, Esq., M.D., Coroner for County Louth, and a jury. M. DARCY, Esq., J.P., was present with the coroner. The body was found on the Omeath shore, nearly opposite the Warrenpoint Deck.

Joseph CRAWFORD, Esq., M.D., of Warrenpoint, deposed that on Sunday morning last, between four and five o'clock, he found the body of Miss Mary Anne Rowley lying on the beach, in the townland of Druminlough. She was dressed in a pink and white outer dress, the usual under clothing, boots and stockings, and nothing on the head. Had met the deceased the day before the accident, and was slightly acquainted with her.....

Mr. James ROWLY, of Trinity College, Dublin, brother of the deceased, was next called, and, in giving his evidence, was deeply affected. He said that they left Warrenpoint for Carlingford at one o'clock in a boat accompanied by his two sisters (Miss Mary Anne and Miss Elizabeth Rowley), Mr. Jeremiah M'CARTHY, Masters Isaac Towers and Francis GLENNY. They arrived in Carlingford without anything occurring to endanger the boat, and when returning a short time afterwards, when about half way between Carlingford and the Point of Killowen, at about a mile and a quarter from shore, the boat took a wave, and they stopped to bail out the water, when the boat immediately swamped and all rolled into the sea. No one had moved from his or her seat before the accident. He, on recovering himself, held his youngest sister, who was delicate and ailing for some time past, until she died in his arms. He then swam to the boat and found the two others saved hanging on by the boat, which was upside down, and which kept rolling about for some time; it afterwards settled, and we held on for about fifteen minutes, when I observed a boat coming from the Carlingford shore in which we were conveyed to shore, and brought to the hotel in Carlingford, where Mr. MULLEN, S.E., and several other gentlemen attended us until we were restored.

Doctor NUGENT, of Carlingford, was examined and stated that the deceased's death was caused by drowning...The two other bodies will likely soon be recovered, and we heard a report today, at Omeath, where the inquest was held, that one of the two had been seen floating out near the Point at Greenore. Dr. Crawford discovered the body by chance, as he was crossing the water at the time on a professional visit.--NEWRY TELEGRAPH.


On Tuesday morning, about half past eight o'clock, Charles M'CORMACK, who had been convicted at the last Longford assizes for the murder of a young man, named Michael REGLAN, at Drinan-bridge on the 21st of last November, suffered the last penalty of the law in front of Longford Gaol.......

August 15, 1863



In the Estate of

The Reverend Maurice M'KAY, Blayney MITCHELL, senior, Blayney MITCHELL, junior, and John BAGOT

Owners and Petitioners

TO BE SOLD, before the Honourable Judge HARGREAVE, at the Landed Estates Court, Inns'-quay, Dublin, on FRIDAY, the 20th day of NOVEMBER, 1863, at 12 o'Clock, Noon, in One Lot, the LANDS OF KILLANEEL AND KILLANEEL-BOG, containing 216a. 1r. 20p. statute measure; and also part of the LANDS OF GARRON, containing 3a. 0r. 38p., all situate in the parish of Tyhoiland, and barony and


and all of which are held in fee-simple, free from quit rent, and producing a net annual rent of £294 6s. 11d.

Dated 20th July, 1863

R. DENNY URLIN, Examiner


On the 9th instant, at Carton, Maynooth, the Marchioness of Kildare, of a son.

On the 10th instant, at Bailieborough, the wife of Rev. Digby Samuel COOKE, of twin sons.


On the 4th instant, at Great St. Andrew's Church, by the Rev. G. H. HARRIS, rector of Torquey, uncle to the bride, assisted by the Rev. Edward HARRIS, cousin to the bride, Henry Sutton NOBLETT, Esq., eldest son of Henry NOBLETT, Esq., of Cork, to Louisia Ann, only daughter of H. H. HARRIS, Esq., of Park Lodge, Cambridge.

On the 11th instant, at the parish church of St. Thomas the Apostle, Dublin, by the Rev. C. STANFORD, D.D., Henry WRIGHT, Esq., of the firm of Houlston and Wright, publishers, London, to Frances Ellen, eldest daughter of Rodolphus MORTIMER, Esq., Charleville Mall, Dublin.


On the 7th instant, Charlotte, only surviving daughter of the late Rev. Charles COLTHURST, Rector of Desartmartin in the Diocese of Derry.

On the 10th instant, at Clifton-terrace, Monkstown, Jane, only surviving daughter of Sir Robert HODSON, of Hollybrooke, in the county of Wicklow, Baronet.



(Before Theophilus Thompson, Esq., J.P., Chairman)

Mary Ann BOYLAN, an unfortunate girl of the town, charged two young men named Alick M'MANUS and John SMITH--the former with stealing from her person £6 3s. 3½d., and the latter with receiving the same.

BOYLAN deposed that on the night of the 6th instant, about eleven o'clock, she met M'Manus, Smith and a boy named Tweedy; she got a half pint of whiskey, and invited them to the "huts" on Gallow's Hill where she resided; they accepted the invitation, and when they arrived at the "huts" she lit a candle and they commenced card playing; witness's stomach got sick and she went outside, where she was followed by Smith who took £6 out of her stocking; she had 3s. 3½d. in the pocket of her dress which was also taken.

Mr. Thompson--You really tell a strange story. You now swear it was Smith who took the money out of your stocking, although you summon M'Manus for the robbery.

Boylan--I found M'Manus's hand in my pocket, and he took 1s. 2.d. out of it which I got back. On the day after I lost the money, Smith changed a pound in BROGAN's public house.

Mr. Thompson--How did you come by the money?

Boylan--I am not here to tell that.

Mr. Thompson--I do not want you to criminate yourself, but I believe there is little doubt that you came by it badly.

M'Manus said he had a witness to prove that he was no way concerned in the robbery.

John TWEEDY proved that Smith was near Boylan, but he did not see him that the money from her; gave Boylan 1s. 2d next day, which M'Manus gave him to keep for her....

M'Manus said he was severely beaten on the night after the robber convenient to his own house on the Half Acre. He expected to be able to find out the parties, and would have them before the Court on next day. (M'Manus presented marks of a severe beating about the head and face.).....

Mr. Thompson--This practice of beating persons in the public street must be put down. Such scenes cannot be tolerated in a peaceable town, and if M'Manus does not summon the parties, let the police do so. There is no legal evidence to convict the accused, and they must consequently be discharged; but I have no doubt that Boylan stole the money, and that it was afterwards stolen from her.

Boylan--The person I took it from would not prosecute me if I took a million.


Head Constable MOORE, local inspector of weights and measures, summoned Mr. LONSDALE, a butter merchant from Armagh, for purchasing butter in the Cavan market from a man named SMITH, contrary to the provisions of the new weights and measures act.

Mr. Tully, solicitor, appeared for Mr. Lonsdale and contended that his client had been guilty of no infringement of the law. He bought the butter in conformity with the act of parliament, and paid for the quantity he purchased. In his case it was sought to make an act of parliament commit a wrong.

Head Constable Moore--If the butter was bought by the lb., and the proper weight paid for, I have no case; but I understand it was purchased by bulk, which is clearly contrary to the intention of the Act.

Mr. Tully--My client bought the butter by the lb. The firkins were supposed to weight 75lb., but only weighed 73lb., and we paid according to the latter weight.

Smith proved that he sold some firkins of butter to Mr. Lonsdale in the Cavan market; they were purchased by bulk at 75lb. a firkin, but Mr. Lonsdale afterwards would only pay at the rate of 73lb. a firkin.

Mr. Thompson--Such a sale was clearly a fraud on the weighmaster.....

Sub-Constable O'BRIEN said that when Mr. Lonsdale and other buyers bought firkins over 75lb. they would not pay for the over weight; but when they were less than 75lb. they made a deduction.

Mr. Lonsdale said when he bought by bulk he paid for what he stipulated.....Mr. Lonsdale said he would discontinue attending Cavan market if he was subjected to any more annoyance.

The case was dismissed. There were not other cases of any public interest before the Court.

E. E. F. ROSS, Esq., has left his residence, Rose Cottage, Cavan, en route for the Lakes, Fermanagh.

August 22, 1863



In the Matter of the Estate of

Executors and Trustees of EDWARD BUSSELL, late of Drumcaw,
in the County of Fermanagh, deceased.


TO BE SOLD, by order of the Honourable Judge DOBBS, by Mr. ROBERT SHARPE, Auctioneer, at the Court-House, in the Town of Enniskillen, on SATURDAY, the 10th day of OCTOBER, 1863, at the hour of One o'Clock in the Afternoon, the following Fee farm, Freehold, and Leasehold Estates, situate in the County of Fermanagh.

Lot No. 1.--The Lands of Trustan, and part of the Lands of Hesnaadarra, alias Rshnadarragh, situate in the Barony of Magherastaphina....

Lot No. 2.--Comprises Dwellinghouse, Offices, Stores, Yard, and Garden, situate in Windmill Hill, in the Town of Enniskillen....

Lot No. 3.--The Lands of Drumcaw...situate in the Barony of Coole, and County of Fermanagh......

Dated this 18th day of July, 1863
C. E. DOBBS, Examiner



(Before William Babington, Esq., J.P., Chairman; and W. M. Hickson, Esq., R.M.)

James SMITH was charged at the suit of Head-Constable MOORE, with assaulting Alick M'MANUS on the 7th inst. In this case the circumstances of the assault transpired on the investigation of the charge of robbery on the last Court day, and Mr. Thompson ordered the Head Constable to issue summonses.

M'Manus proved that on the night in question he was incapable of minding himself; he was beaten on that night, but does not know who did it; he had a bad face next morning, and believes he was knocked down; was so full of drink that he cannot clearly recollect anything; believes he was in the company of the accused on that night.

John TWEEDY sworn--Was in company with M'Manus in CLERKIN's public house on the night of the 7th instant; Smith came into the room and commenced arguing with M'Manus about drink; M'Manus left the public house and ran towards home; he was followed by Smith who endeavoured to drag him back, when both of them fell; Smith lifted his foot to strike M'Manus, but can't say if he did so; Smith was drunk........Smith was fined 5s and costs, or a week's imprisonment.


Mr. Daniel REID, of Cavan, summoned Catherine DORAN for having in her possession, and trying to dispose of, some "sprigging" work, the property of his employers.

Mr. Reid proved that the accused presented a piece of the "sprigging" work to a neighbour of his, Miss DOWNEY, for sale; he was called on to judge its value, when he found it to belong to his employers; the muslin had been washed and the numbers erased, but in order to make himself perfectly sure he sent it to Belfast to have it examined; he had no doubt that the muslin was the property of his employers.

The accused said she got the muslin from a little girl who brought it out of the workhouse; she gave the girl some tea to bring into her cousin, Ann REILLY, who was in the workhouse infirmary; she would know the girl she got it from if she saw her again......

Mr. John HARRIS, of Cavan, also charged Doran with having "sprigging" work in her possession, the property of his employers.

At the suggestion of the Court the case was adjourned till next Court day, and Doran was recommended in the meantime to find out the girl from whom she got the muslin.


At the rising of the Court a woman named FITZPATRICK, presented herself before the bench. Her eyes were completely blackened, and her face otherwise disfigured. She stated that she was the wife of Peter FITZPATRICK, of Glancurrin, and that on the previous day she was beaten by her husband, and the injuries on her face were inflicted by him. She had the misfortune to 'run away' with him in opposition to the wishes of her parents and friends, and since their marriage he was constantly ill-treating her. They had three children, and for their sakes she had up to the present uncomplainingly suffered his brutal treatment; but he was latterly becoming so violent that she apprehended her life was in danger if he was not restrained in some way.

The Court took the informations of the woman, and issued a warrant for the apprehension of the husband.

The Court then rose.


APPOINTMENTS--Achoary--Rev. F. BURKE, A.B., to the curacy of Killaraght, by the Bishop of Tuam. Armagh--Rev. Paul Eyster JAMESON, to the Curacy of Clonfeacle, by the Rector, Dromore--Rev. James J. D. HOYSTED, A.B., T.C.D., to the Curacy of Dromore, by the Rector.

DEATH OF LIEUTENANT COLONEL BURKE--It is with unfeigned sorrow we announce the demise, after a short but painful illness, of Lieutenant-Col. John Hardiman BURKE, of the 3rd regiment of Buffs, on last Friday, in London. He was third son of the late James Hardiman BURKE, Esq., St. Clerans, in this county, whose sons were all distinguished men.--GALWAY VINDICATOR

AUGUST 23, 1863


CHARLES MALONE AND ELIZA MALONE, his wife, and EDWARD BURNETT, or some or one of them.


TO BE SOLD before the Honourable Judge LONGFIELD, on TUESDAY, the 17th day of NOVEMBER, 1863, at noon, at the Landed Estates Court, Inn's Quay, Dublin, part of the LANDS of KILL and KILNALEEK, known as fore divided moiety of two third parts of the Lands known as the six poles of KILDRUMFARTIN, and the pole of KILNALEEK, with their sub-denomination of KILL, and the undivided moiety of the COW GREEN of KILNALEEK, and the KILL BURYING GROUND, situate in the baronies of Clonmahon and Castleraghan and


....These lands are let at the gross yearly rent of £317 18s. 3d.

Dated this 1st day of August, 1863

Chief Clerk.


In the Estate of
MARTHA GWYNNE, MARIA FINLAY SODEN, a Minor, BY JOHN SODEN, her Guardian and next Friend, and JOHN GWYNNE,
Owners and Petitioner.

JOHN CONNOR, and Others, Owners; Same, Petitioners.


On FRIDAY the 6th day of NOVEMBER 1863 at noon, before the Honourable Judge HARGREAVE at his Court, Inns quay, in the city of Dublin, the LIFE ESTATE of Mrs. Martha Gwynne, now aged about 42 years, in Part of the Lands of SOUTHKILDALLEN, in the barony of Tullyhunco, and county of Cavan, held under lease of the 23rd day of March, 1863, for a term of 16 years, with "toties quoties" covenant for renewal at the end of every five years, as stated in the printed rental

The Lands contain 108a. 3r 19p statute measure and produce, after payment of the share of head rent and rent-charge, a net annual rental of £96 17s. 2½d.........

Dated this 23rd day of July, 1863.

R. DENNY URLIN, Examiner

The Lands are situate within about four miles of the market and post towns of Killishandra, Belturbet, and Ballyconnell, and in the immediate vicinity of the village of Ardlogher, a post town, and are of an excellent quality.....


On Thursday Dr. HARTY, county coroner, held an inquest at SMITH's Livery Stables, Harold's cross, on the body of Hugh MOORE, the boy who was accidentally killed on the previous day by his head coming in contact with the carriage lock of the band van of MYERS' Circus, at Rathmines road.

Alexander BEAUMONT, stud groom of the circus, who was driving the van, was present, in custody.

The jury having viewed the body, which was fearfully mutilated, the following witnesses were examined:--

William ONELIFF, a private of the 4th Dragoon Guards, deposed that he was passing Rathmines road; he saw two boys riding on the fore axle of the band van; on the carriage turning round the deceased fell off and the other boy ran away; witness lifted the body, but life was extinct.

A gentleman who was passing at the time, gave evidence similar to the soldier.

Police constable Thomas MURT, 135 E., stated that he saw the body lying on the road; one of Mr. Myers' men pointed out where the deceased had been sitting, and the blood and hair on the axle and wheel box; none of the nine persons who were in the band van knew of the deceased or the other boy having been on the axle of the carriage.

The coroner then charged the jury, who returned the following verdict:--"That the said Hugh Moore, on the 26th instant, was accidentally killed by being crushed while sitting under a carriage belonging to Mr. Myers, and driven by Alexander Beaumont, and the jury are of opinion that there is no blame to be attached to said Alexander Beaumont."

The prisoner was released from custody, and the body was removed by the mother of the deceased, to whom Mr. Myers gave 5l. and Mr. Maurice BROOKS 10s., as she was in great distress.



(Before William Babington, Esq., J.P., Chairman; and W. M. Hickson, Esq., R.M.)


Robert MEE, of Kilnaghlan, summoned Robert NEIL and Hugh FITZPATRICK for assaulting two of his children--Mary Ann and Richard MEE.

Mary Ann Mee deposed that on the 20th inst. she was proceeding home with a can of milk when Robert Mee came before her on the road and caught hold of her; Hugh Fitzpatrick ran out of Matthew SADLIER's house, gave her little brother a box and knocked him down.

Matthew Sadlier proved that he seen Neil take a hold of the last witness, but he did not think much about it at the time; Hugh Fitzpatrick went out when he heard the noise, and gave young Mee a slap on the side of the head.

Elicia JOHNSTON deposed that she was in company with the Mees on the day in question; Robert Neil took a hold of Bessy HAIGUE, bopped her head against the ditch, and threatened to put out her "latch;" Neil caught hold of Mary Ann Mee, but witness took notice of nothing more; she got no blow, nor did she see Fitzpatrick strike young Mee

Richard JOHNSTON, the brother of the last witness, was produced and proved that he saw young Mee lying on the ground, but could not tell who hit him....

Richard Mee, a boy of about ten years of age, proved that he saw Neil take hold of his sister; Fitzpatrick knocked witness down and gave him some slaps on the face.....

Bessy Haigue proved that she was in company with the Mees on the day in question....

The Court fined Fitzpatrick 10s, or fourteen days imprisonment, and Neil 2s 6d, or a week.


Peter Fitzpatrick, of Glancurran, against whom informations were sworn on the last Court day by his wife, for beating her, was brought up for examination; but the wife did not appear, although bound in her own recognizance of £10 to do so.

Mr. Babington said he would allow the case to stand till next Court day, and if the wife did not then appear her recognizances would be estrated.


Messrs. David REID and John HARRIS appeared before the Court to prosecute Catherine DORAN, for having "sprigging" work, the property of their employers, in her possession. The case was adjourned from last Court day, to enable Doran to produce the girl from whom she alleged she got the articles.

Doran, in reply to the Court, said she had not as yet succeeded in discovering the girl from whom she obtained the "sprigging" work.

The Court, after referring to the act of parliament, considered it was necessary to show that the accused had the articles in her possession with a guilty knowledge.

Mr. Reid considered that the accused could not have the articles in her possession without a guilty knowledge. He maintained that he had established a case, and convictions were had in other towns on similar testimony. His employers gave a great deal of employment, and circulated their money freely, and if they were not protected they should abandon the work.

Mr. Babington observed that it was discourteous towards the Court to comment on its decisions. It amounted almost to contempt of Court, and if persistent in, the Court should act in a way unpleasant to the parties concerned.

Mr. Reid said he did not intend any discourtesy to the Bench, but could not acquiesce in their decision.

The complaint was dismissed, and the Court rose.

County Cavan Newspaper Transcription Project

Ireland Home Page
County Cavan

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.