Cavan Observer
Published in Cavan, county Cavan
November 2, 1861


Arvagh--James KEMP
Ballyconnell--Thomas MOORE and W. M'GARVEY
Ballyhaise--Francis MULLIGAN
Bailieborough--Andrew SMITH and George MAHOOD
Belturbet--George INGHAM and Hugh MAGOVERN
Ballinagh--Patt RABBITT
Butlersbridge--Henry JONES
Ballyduff--Thomas SMITH, senior, and Thomas SMITH, junior
Bawnboy--Launcelolot FYFE
Blacklion--John NIXON
Cavan--Daniel LEDDY, James M'KEON, William FEGAN, and James MONTGOMERY
Cootehill--Farrell M'GOVERN and P. REILLY
Crossdoney--Edward BEATTY
Killeshandra--Graham ROSEMOND and C. COLVAN
Kingscourt--Thomas ARGUE
Kilnaleck--Arthur M'CLEAN
Mountnugent--Patrick LYNCH
Mullagh--Michael FARRELLY, junior, of Moynalty
Redhills--Robert FREEMAN
Shercock--James BEATTY
Stradone--J. KELLY and Patt MONAGHAN
Swanlinbar--Hugh KENNEDY
Virginia--George M'QUAID

ORDERED--That John KELLY, of Stradone, and Robert FREEMAN, of Redhills, shall for the future be the Process Officers to serve all Civil Bills for the Cootehill Division, to be heard at Cootehill Session; but in no case can a Process Servicer refuse to serve a Civil Bill unless it interferes with his attendance at Sessions.


Magistrates present:--William BABINGTON, Esq., Chairman; Nathaniel MONTGOMERY, Esq., and W. M. HICKSON, Esq., R.M.

Acting-Constable KERR summoned Chas. EATON and Michael COSGRAVE for having exposed fruit for sale in the public street on the afternoon of Sunday, the 28th October. The defendants pleaded ignorance of the law, and promised not to repeat the offence.

The Chairman said the defendants had left themselves liable to a fine of 5s. each, or imprisonment, together with forfeiture of the fruit. The prosecution was brought under a very old act of Parliament. Had the offence been committed during the hours of Divine Service, he would have felt it his duty to impose some punishment, but as it was after two o'clock when the fruit were exposed for sale, and as it was their first offence, he would dismiss the case against the defendants.

Mr. M'GAURAN appeared on behalf of the Midland Great Western Railway Company to prosecute a young lad for trespassing on the Company's line between Shankill and Toneymore....the company did not want to press for severe punishment, but merely wished to put a stop to the practice of walking on the line--a practice dangerous to the lives of the public as well as to the property of the company. A milesman, named FARRELL, proved the offence.

The Court imposed a mitigated fine of 6d. and costs, cautioning defendant against a repetition of the offence, as any future cases of the kind will be dealt with more severely.

Patrick M'INTEE summoned Richard LANG under the following circumstances:--Mr. George BEATTY, of Crossdoney, left a cart, horse, and overcoat in the yard of Mrs. PATTERSON's public house in this town, in charge of Mrs.PATTERSON's servant boy; in the course of the day he sent M'INTEE for the horses and cart, telling him to leave the coat with the servant; M'INTEE found LANG in the yard, and he stated that he was acting for Mrs. PATTERSON's servant; M'INTEE gave LANG the coat in charge, taking away the horse and cart, but LANG subsequently denied having received the coat, or spoken to M'INTEE at all on that day.

Mr. John Armstrong appeared for complainant. Mr. M'GAURAN appeared for defendant, and contended that the summons was informal, as it should have been brought in Mr. BEATTY's name, and in a different form. The Court took the same view, and dismissed the case without prejudice.

After disposing of a number of unimportant cases, the Court rose.


PARSONSTOWN, FRIDAY EVENING--On last night, about the hour of eight o'clock, a farmer, named William BYRNE, when returning to his home from the market in Roscrea, accompanied by his wife and another woman in a cart, a shot was fired at them from behind a wall on the side of the road at Clareen, near Shinrone, BYRNE, and the woman, named ROSS, were both wounded in the head by a small shot, but not dangerously. BYRNE is about five years residing on his farm, from which several years ago a tenant was evicted, after which it was taken by a person named KEESHAN, who was murdered, having been shot dead, since which several outrages have been committed on the lands--shots fired by night, and several threatening notices have been posted at different times. BYRNE purchased the interest of the tenant, who proceeded him in the occupation, and recently his barn was broken open, and a quantity of see wheat, his property, stolen...Sub-Inspector MONTGOMERY and party of police were promptly on the spot, and during the night apprehended three men on suspicion, named Daniel, James, and John LALOR, who were brought up for examination this day in Shinrone, before H. G. CURRAN, Esq., R.M., Parsonstown. The inquiry had not concluded when this was despatched.

CO. LONGFORD--LONGFORD, 24TH OCT., 1861--The Quarter Sessions for this county commenced to-day, Robert JOHNSTON, Esq., Chairman, when the following magistrates attended and took part in the business:--Major S. W. BLACKALL, D.L.; Hon. Major FORBES, Captains DOPPIN and HEPPENSTALL, Captain O'DONNELL, R.M.; Henry CRAWFORD, M. W. O'CONNOR, George RIVERS, and Harry M'CANN, Esqrs.

After granting publicans' licenses, a good deal of time was taken up with appeal cases for convictions in pursuit of game, in which the several fines were to-day reduced. The Crown business then commenced.

Eight young men of the name of KIERNAN, and two named REILLY, and one named BRADY, were convicted for a riot and sentenced to one month's imprisonment each.

Thomas CASEY for assaulting three of the police with a scythe in his house at Fogney, was sentenced to six months, with hard labour.

Thomas O'BRIEN, a young lad, for stabbing a stone cutter with a knife; sentenced to one month.

Michael FARRELL for larceny, one week.

John and James KEEGAN, assault on the police; one fortnight, with hard labour.

M. GLEANY, larceny; acquitted.

Patt GREEN and wife, larceny of wearing apparel. The jury were discharged, as they could not agree in this case.

Margaret HOLTON, for robbing John KENNEDY of sixteen shillings in Ballymahon, guilty. This being her eighteenth tme, the Barrister wished to give her penal service, but from the indictment not being properly framed, could only give her six months with hard labour. The Barrister said it would be his duty to leave the case before the Government, as from the frequency of such cases it was impossible that he could properly administer justice.--He would report the matter, and let the proper authorities deal with it as they pleased.

November 9, 1861


MASTER PRINTERS are hereby cautioned not to employ Owen HENRY, an Indentured Apprentice of the Proprietor of this Journal, who absconded from Cavan on Monday, the 21st instant. He is a native of Cavan, about 18 years of age, dark complexioned, and five feet three inches in height. A Reward will be given to any person affording information as to where he is at present.


Sub-Constable KEARNEY summoned Jas. WOODS and James SMITH for having been drunk in the public street on Friday night. The defendants fined 5s. each, or, in default, to be imprisoned for 48 hours.

Head Constable MOORE summoned John SMITH for having been drunk and disorderly in the Main-street. Defendant was fined 5s., or 48 hours' imprisonment.

Bridget CULLEN was fined 6d. and costs for having allowed her pig to be at large in the public street.

Mrs. REYNOLDS was fined in the costs for having allowed a heap of rubbish to remain on the street in front of her house.

His Worship informed Head-Constable MOORE that he wished it to be publicly understood that it was his intention to try and put a stop to drunkenness and disorderly conduct in the streets by inflicting the utmost penalty in each case brought before him.

The Court then rose.


Magistrates present:--T. THOMPSON, W. BABINGTON, and N. MONTGOMERY, Esqrs.

Thomas SMITH, of Shankill, was fined 6s. and costs for the trespass of some of his cattle on the lands of Patrick SMITH.

Mr. GAHAN, County Surveyor, summoned Patk. BRADY, of Annageliffe, a road contractor, and Bernard BRADY and Samuel PRATT, his sureties, to compel them to place in proper order a portion of road for the keeping in repair of which the first-named defendant is contractor. Mr. GAHAN said that his assistant, Mr. HOPEWELL, was sick, but he knew himself that BRADY's road was in bad order. BRADY was fined in the costs (4s.6d.) and allowed a fortnight to put the road in proper order.

John ROBERTS, of Lisnashannow, and his sureties, were summoned under similar circumstances, and a like order was made.

John QUEALE and Henry QUEALE summoned Thos. NEILL for an assault. Mr. Charles QUEALE summoned him for breaking three panes of glass, and he had also a summons against Bridget NEILL for abusive language; NEALE (sic) had a cross-charge of assault against John and Henry QUEALE. The evidence adduced in these cases was most contradictory--NEALE is a car-driver, and went into Mr. QUEALE's shop to inquire if some jobbers whom he was to drive to Arvagh were staying there. Mr. QUEALE was absent at the time. NEALE alleged that he was struck by Mr. QUEALE's youngest son, Henry, without any provocation, and afterwards by his eldest son, John, and his servant girl. NEALE's statement was partially corroborated by his mother, who alleged that she saw the whole transaction. The evidence of John and Henry QUEALE was that NEALE committed the first assault, and that his conduct was most violent towards them, Mrs. QUEALE, and their servant. The servant girl partially sustained their testimony.

The Court considered that the weight of evidence was against NEALE, and the Chairman said that he always knew him to be quiet and regular in his conduct.

Mr. QUEALE also spoke favourably of NEALE's general character, and said he did not wish to press for punishment against him. He merely wanted to protect his house, and not to have it violated in his absence.

Under these circumstances, the Court only fined NEALE 1s. and costs for the assault. The other charges were not pressed, but NEALE promised to replace the glass broken.

Mary FOSTER obtained a decree to possession of a house held by John DAVIS, as cottier tenant.

Mr. THOMPSON, J.P., summoned Patrick BANNON for having been in pursuit of game, with dogs, although not qualified or licensed. Mr. THOMPSON deposed that he was out shooting at Annageliffe on Saturday, and saw BANNON with four dogs; to the best of his belief BANNON was in pursuit of hares; he called upon hi to stop, but he ran away; afterwards heard a horn, which he believes to have been sounded by BANNON; farmers and other respectable parties complain very much of the conduct of persons like BANNON, who go out hunting on Sundays, and have not left a hare in place.

BANNON admitted having been in pursuit of hares, and said that he did not think he was violating the law....BANNON here said something to the effect that he never hunted hares previously, and that he was told that a license was not required.

Mr. MONTGOMERY and Mr. BABINGTON then retired for consultation, and on their return, Mr. BABINGTON said there could be no doubt that BANNON was guilty of the offence...They would, therefore, impose a fine of £1, or a month's imprisonment, and suspend the execution of the sentence until they had received the opinion of the Law Advisor on the passage referred to.

The case was then adjourned for a fortnight, and the Court rose.


SLANE (COUNTY MEATH), FRIDAY, NOV. 1.--The above sessions were held to-day before Messrs. LAMBART, OSBORNE, MURRAY AND GRADWELL.

Thomas WARD complained of George HARMAN and George COLLARD, for having on the 4th of October, entered on the lands to look for game, not being thereto authorised.

Mr. J. T. ROWLAND, solicitor, stated that he appeared for the complainant, who was a tenant of the Earl of Sheffield. The defendant HARMER is gamekeeper to the Marquess of Conyngham, and COLLARD is house-steward to the noble Marquess....He would prove the case by several witnesses, and with regard to the amount of fine, he would leave that altogether with the Bench...(Thomas WARD, Owen FARRELLY and Maurice BALFE were examined and cross-examined)...Geo. HARMAN here admitted that he had been shooting on the land, but had written and apologised to Mr. BRABAZON, the agent, and thought that was enough. Mr. BRABAZON himself, he supposed, never went out but he trespassed....The magistrates, with the exception of Mr. LAMBART, who declined taking any part in the matter, then retired into their chamber to consult, and after some delay they returned, when Mr. OSBORNE addressed the defendants, stating that the magistrates had given a good deal of consideration to the case, and as regarded G. HARMER they could find no palliation whatever. He knew all the boundaries well, and was there frequently to prosecute parties for poaching. He therefore set a very bad example himself to turn poacher. He should be fined £5 and costs. COLLARD should be fined £2 and £1 costs.


THE RECENT ATTEMPT AT MURDER--Daniel LAWLER, who was in custody charged with firing and wounding William BYRNE, on the evening of Friday, the 25th October, at Clanen, near Shinrone, was brought up on remand before Mr. CURRAN, R.M., on Friday last, at Parsonstown, for further examination. Mr. JULIAN, Crown Solicitor, was in attendance, watching the proceedings on behalf of the Crown. Sub-Inspector MONTGOMERY, Shinrone, was also present, and Mr. MITCHELL, Solicitor, attended on behalf of the prisoner. After several witnesses had been examined LAWLER was again remanded for eight days; but at petty sessions on the following day, before Mr. CURRAN, R.M., LAWLER was admitted to bail--himself in £40, and two sureties in £20 each, for his appearance again for examination on a future day.

November 16, 1861




James KENNEDY, Proprietor

This long-established, first-class Commercial and Family Hotel has been lately re-modelled, refurnished, and improved by the present Proprietor, and can now bear comparison with any Provincial Hotel in Ireland for completeness of arrangements, accommodations and comfort.


On Tuesday, the 12th instant, at Wesley-street, Cavan, the wife of Mr. John MORRIS, Compositor, CAVAN OBSERVER, of a daughter.



Andrew SMITH was fined 5s. for having kept a butcher's stall on two successive days in the Main-street, thereby causing a nuisance and obstruction.

William MAGINNESS was fined 1s. and costs for having allowed his pig to be at large in the public street.


James M'CORMICK was summoned for having been found wilfully and wantonly rapping at Mr. Alexander KETTYLE's hall-door on the night of the 31st...His Worship said that the offence might seem very trifling to the defendant, but the Towns' Improvement Act imposed a fine not exceeding 40s. upon any person wilfully and wantonly annoying or disturbing any inhabitant by the extinguishing of any lamp, ringing of any bell, knocking or rapping at doors, &c. However, he did not wish to be severe upon a first offence, and, as the defendant was a person of good character, he would merely fine him in the costs.


John TWEEDY, Thomas REILLY, Thomas GRENNAN, Matthew MAGUIRE, and John DOHERTY were summoned for having been found playing a game called "pitch and toss" at Tullymungon, on Sunday, the 3rd of November.

Some of the police saw the defendants, with a number of others, clustered together at the back of the Fair-Green, and gave chase, but the gamblers ran off as soon as they saw the police. Bridget DEANE, Susan DEANE, John GOLRICK, and Joseph LEE, who were all present at the time, were summoned by the police, as witnesses, but they gave their evidence most reluctantly, and denied that the defendants had been gambling at all. One of the witnesses, John GOLRICK--a lad of fourteen years of age--said he could not tell the nature of an oath, the punishment awarded hereafter to a liar, what Heaven or Hell was intended for, &c., yet he admitted that he had been instructed in the Roman Catholic catechism, and had attended confession!

Head-Constable MOORE, seeing that nothing could be elicited from the witnesses, applied for an adjournment of the cases until next Court day, to which his Worship consented.

James GAFFNEY was summoned for having been found, on Sunday, the 27th of October, playing "pitch and toss," with others, on the public road near Cavan. This case was brought by Constable M'ANEA, who had summoned a man named James MULLIGAN as a witness.

MULLIGAN proved that he saw GAFFNEY "tossing" halfpence with others, none of whom he was able to identify, except a person named Owen DRUM. He saw the gamblers winning and losing....His Worship said that the offence of which the defendant had been convicted was one which he was determined to put a stop to....He had no wish to be too severe upon any person, and would not, therefore, impose the full penalty upon the defendant. He would only sentence him to 48 hours' imprisonment, and he trusted that that punishment would be a warning to him in future.

GAFFNEY said that a gentleman was about to get him a situation in Dublin, and begged his Worship to impose a fine instead of imprisonment. His Worship replied that the would regret that any sentence imposed by him should have the effect of injuring GAFFNEY's future prospects, but he had no power to impose a fined in such cases...however, having received a good character of GAFFNEY, his Worship reduced the punishment to 24 hours' imprisonment.

The Court then rose.


Magistrates present: T. THOMPSON, W. BABINGTON, and N. MONTGOMERY, Esqrs.

Mary FANNON summoned Ellen BRADY and John BRADY for the trespass of two head of cattle on the 31st of October, and of two asses on the 4th of November, but, as complainant did not comply with the Act by demanding "trespass," the case was dismissed.

Michael DUNNE obtained a decree for 5s., wages, against Mary SMITH, of Leiter.

Mary BOOTH and Anne Jane BRADY were fined 1s. each, with costs, for stealing some turf belonging to Robert CHRISTY, and Anne Jane BRADY was fined in the same amount for stealing turf belonging to John CRONIN.

There were no other cases for hearing.


The following are the names of the gentlemen returned by the Judges of Assize to serve the office of High Sheriff for the ensuing year:--

ANTRIM--Frederick Hugh HENRY, Esq., Lodge Park, Straffan; John YOUNG, Esq., Galgorm Castle, Ballymena; Wm. COATES, Esq., Glentoran, Belfast.

ARMAGH--Major Henry CAULFIELD, Hockley, Armagh; John James BIGGER, Esq., Falmere Park, Dundalk; Captain John BLACKISTON, Houston Organfield, Newtownbreds.

CARLOW--Hardy EUSTACE, Esq., Castlemore House, Tullow; John Frederick LECKY, Esq., Lenham Lodge, Carlow; Darby Herring COOPER, Esq., Honover House, Carlow.

CARRICKFERGUS COUNTY TOWN.-Andrew FORSYTHE, Esq., Scout Bush, CarricKfergus; Richard Conway DOBBS, Esq., Glendarn Lodge, Cushendall; Arthur BORTHWICK, Esq., Prospect, Carrickfergus.

CAVAN--Alexander NESBITT, Esq., Lismore, Crossdoney; Nathaniel MONTGOMERY, Esq., Cullies, Cavan; John Edward Vernon, Esq., Erne Hill, Belturbet.

DOWN--Arthur Charles INNES, Esq., Dromantine, Newry; John Joseph WHITE, Esq., Colenacran, Loughbrickland; Aubrey De Vere BEAUCLERK, Esq., Ardglass Castle, Ardglass.

DROGHEDA COUNTY TOWN--Thomas J. FOGARTY, Esq., Drogheda; Thomas Stanislaus M'CANN, Esq., Staleene, Drogheda; Francis BRODIGAN, Esq., Pilltown, Drogheda.

FERMANAGH--William Emerson TENNENT, Esq., Tempo House, Tempo; Edward IRVINE, Esq., Derrygore House, Enniskillen; Charles Robert BARTON, Esq., Waterfoot, Pettigo, Tyrone.

KING'S COUNTy--Lieutenant Colonel the Hon. John C. WESTENRA, Sharavogue, Parsonstown; Arthur H.N. KEMMIS, Esq., Crogham Hung, Croydon, England; J. F. HUTCHINSON, Esq., Golden Grove, Roscrea.

LEITRIM--Hugh M'TERNAN, Esq., Heapstown, Rivertown; Hon. John MASSY, Milford, Limerick; William Robert LA TOUCHE, Esq., Bellevue, Delgany.

LONDONDERRY CITY and COUNTY--John ADAMS, Esq., Ballymoney; John SKIPTON, Esq., Casino, Londonderry; Robert HENRY, Esq., Fairview, Castledawson.

LONGFORD--Edward K. HARMAN, Esq., Newcastle, Ballymahon; Walter NUGENT, Esq., Donore, Multifarnham; James WILSON, Esq., Larkfield, Rathmines.

LOUTH--St. Blair Kilburn MULHOLLAND, Esq., Mount Bagnel, Carlingford, and Eglantin, Hillsboro; John BYRNE, Esq., Allardstown, Dundalk, and Corville, Roscrea; Henry Edward SINGLETON, Esq., Hayley Hall, Herts.

MAYO--Phillip TAAFFE, Esq., Woodville, Kilkelly; Robert RUTLEDGE, Esq., Bloomfield, Hollymount; Maurice BLAKE, Esq., Town Hill, Ballyglass.

MEATH--Thomas BOYLAN, Esq., Hilltown, Drogheda; Thomas GERRARD, Esq, Boyne Hill, Navan; Hon. Jenico PRESTON, Ourmanstown Castle, Julianstown.

MONAGHAN--Captain Jesse Lloyd CAMLA, Monaghan; John MADDEN, Esq., Hilton Park, Clones; Sir Thomas Barrett LEONARD, Bart, Clones.

ROSCOMMON--John H. LILLON, Esq., Johnstown, Athlone; Roderick J. O'CONNOR, Esq., Milltown, Castleplunket; Thomas GOFF, Esq., Oakport, Boyle.

SLIGO--The O'CONNOR DON, M.P., Clonalis, Castlerea; Abraham MARTIN, Esq., Bloomfield; Pierce SIMPSON, Esq., Cloncorrick Castle, Carrigullen.

TYRONE--Samuel Wensley BLACKHAL, Esq., Coolamber, Edgeworthstown; Viscount Hamilton, Baronscourt, Newtownstewart; C. HOUSTON, Esq. Clonynanea House, Omagh.

WESTMEATH--Colonel Fulke GREVILLE, M.P., Clonyn, Delvin; James Arthur DEASE, Esq., Turbotstown, Castlepolard; Hon. George MOSTYN, Rossmeade, Delvin.

November 23, 1861

CASE OF STABBING IN DERRY--On Sunday evening last, Miles SWEENY, of Priest lane, Derry, was arrested by the constabulary, on the charge of having stabbed his neighbour, Bernard M'AULEY, with a knife in the abdomen, inflicting a deep and dangerous wound. We understand that M'AULEY was lying in bed in his own house when this brutal assault was made upon him....SWEENY was brought from the gaol yesterday before the magistrates who on hearing the case sent him back to prison on remand, til Thursday, when it is hoped M'AULEY will be able to attend and give evidence against him.--Derry Guardian.


Owen DRUM was sentenced to 48 hours' imprisonment for having been found playing a game called "pitch and toss" on the lands of Swellan, on Sunday, the 27th October.

Margaret BRIARTY was charged with having been drunk and disorderly in the public streets on Saturday morning. Constable M'ANEA proved the case, but BRIARTY did not appear. His Worship sentenced her to pay a fine of £2, or, in default, to be imprisoned for seven days, and issued a warrant for her apprehension.

Phillip RAHILL, of Killygarry, was fined 5s. and costs for having been drunk in the public streets on the 9th instant.

Matthew FITZPATRICK, the redoubtable "Knight of Drumbo," was subjected to a like fine for a similar offence, notwithstanding sundry urgent appeals for mercy.

Michael REALLY, of Cavan, was fined in the costs for having allowed his ass to wander on the public street, on the 12th inst.

Thomas M'GARRAHAN summoned James M'CABE for having challenged him to fight in the public street, but he applied for and obtained leave to withdraw the summons.

______M'CAFFREY was fined 1s. and costs for allowing his cart to remain on the public street, without any person in charge of it.

John TWEEDY, Matthew MAGUIRE, Thomas DOHERTY, and John DOHERTY were charged with having been found playing "pitch and toss" at Tullymungen, on Sunday, the 3rd inst. Nothing could be elicited from the witnesses summoned, but Constable M'ANEA proved the charge against TWEEDY. His Worship sentenced TWEEDY to 48 hours' imprisonment, and said he would dismiss the charge against the other parties for the present, but they might rely upon it that he was determined to put a stop to open-air gambling on Sundays.

Head-Constable MOORE said he would bring forward the cases again, by selecting one of the defendants as witness against the others.

______O'NEILL was fined in the costs for causing an obstruction in the public street with his car.

The Court then rose.


Magistrates present: T. THOMPSON, W. BABINGTON, Nathaniel MONTGOMERY, Thomas F. KNIPE, and Andrew CARDEN, Esqrs.


The Special Sessions for the revision of the lists of persons entitled to serve as jurors in the baronies of Clonmahon, Upper Loughtee, Lower Loughtee, Tullyhunco, and Tullyhaw, as returned by the High Constables, was first held. Messrs. REALLY, DAVIS, SMITH, and NETTERFIELD, the High Constables were sworn to the correctness of the lists. No objections were made to the lists, with the exception of an application by a man named Thomas DUART to have his name struck off the list of jurors for Tullyhunco--he being 67 years of age. The application was complied with.


Mr. MULLIGAN, the Master of the Cavan Workhouse, in accordance with the directions of the Board of Guardians, appeared to prosecute a female pauper name M'GURK, for having assaulted Jane GALWAY, another inmate of the Workhouse.

M'GURK has two illegitimate children (twins), and is a very quarrelsome woman. She assaulted GALWAY in the Nursery of the Workhouse, without any provocation. The Master, on the assault being reported to him, remonstrated with her, when she gave him most abusive language. He then ordered her to the lock-up, but she refused to go quietly, and assaulted him.

M'GURK accused the Master of harshness, and said she would have gone quietly to the lock-up, only he dragged her, but this statement was contradicted by Jane GALWAY.

The Chairman, in sentencing the prisoner to one month's imprisonment, said that if Mr. MULLIGAN ever erred in the management of the Workhouse, it was on the side of leniency, and that he did not credit the prisoner's statement that she had been harshly treated.


Charles M'MANUS summed Mr. James PARKER for the balance of 35s., wages earned during the past half year--from May til November. Mr. PARKER had a set-off for some articles which, he alleged, were lost by the plaintiff, after having been given in charge to him--which plaintiff denied. The Court gave a decree for 3s., without costs, and directed Mr. PARKER to give the boy a discharge.


Michael SHERIDAN, a labourer, was charged with having assaulted Bryan SMITH, on the last fair day of Cavan, by striking him on the head with a stick. It appeared that SMITH was riding a horse in the fair, and, accidentally, knocked down SHERIDAN, who was passing at the time. SHERIDAN, on rising, struck SMITH a couple of severe blows with a stick. Mr. KNIPE, J.P., who witnessed the assault, ordered SMITH to swear informations against SHERIDAN. SMITH did swear the informations, but did not attend to prosecute them, although bound over to do so.

Mr. Armstrong appeared for SHERIDAN, and urged that the case should be dismissed, as the assault was committed in a moment of very natural irritation, caused by SMITH's recklessness. Mr. KNIPE said that SMITH was near riding over him shortly before he upset SHERIDAN. SMITH might have deserved a blow, but SHERIDAN had no right to use such violence, or take the law into his own hands.

The Court, suspecting collusion, postponed the case for a week, to compel the attendance of SMITH.


James LEE was charged, on informations, with having in company with others, waylaid and assaulted James BRADY. The prosecutor (whose head was bandaged) stated that he was returning home from Cavan on the last fair night, between nine and ten o'clock, in company with two other young men. When passing up the Gallows Hill (one of his companions being in front, and the other a short distance behind him) he was followed, knocked down, and beaten by a number of men, notwithstanding the efforts of his two companions to save him. He was positive that LEE was one of the first who struck him, and that he saw him during the day talking to parties who had threatened him previously, but he was never threatened by LEE, nor had any quarrel with him.

Mr. John Armstrong appeared for LEE. The defence was an alibi--that LEE left Cavan about five o'clock, and several witnesses having deposed to that fact, and to the manner in which he spent his time until after ten o'clock.

The Court considered that the prosecutor had made a mistake, and dismissed the case.

The Court shortly afterwards rose.


On the 14th instant, at Eltham Church, Kent, Henry SUTTON, Esq., of Rotherhithe, to Anna Maria, eldest daughter of the Rev. Samuel NICHOLS, of Ashburnham Grove Greenwich, and widow of the late John CARSON, Esq., M.D., of Cavan.

On the 15th instant, in the Presbyterian Church of Shercock, Mr. David GILMORE, of Liscar, near Bailieborough, to Mary, second daughter of Mr. James ORR, Gartenane, same parish.


A man named M'GARRAHAN, a labourer or "navvy," broke his leg on Tuesday evening, while engaged on the works of the Cavan and Clones Railway, near Butlersbridge. The accident occurred by his falling, and the passing of a waggon wheel over his leg. He was at once brought into the County Infirmary, where he still remains.



Under the Court of Chancery (Ireland) Regulation Act, 1850, section 15.

In the Matter of



I HEREBY require all Persons having Charges or Incumbrances affecting all that and those that piece or parcel of Land called Drumbar, in the parish of Ennistreer, barony of Clonkee, and county of Cavan; and also all that and those the Pole of Lands called Lisnedarragh...adjoining to Shinan, and three acres of Drumakeagh, on the East Side of Shinan, whereon James FITZHERBERT formerly dwelt--all being part of the Manor Pierscourt...and also that part of the Lands of Kinnaughbeg, and Drumalee...situate near Belturbet, parish of Anna...and all that and those the Lands of Loughdooley in the parish of Drumlane, barony of Loughtee...and also all that and those the Dwelling-houses and Presmises...Lower Gardiner Street, Parish of St. Thomas and county of the city of Dublin; and all those the Park and part of the Pole of Shinan formerly called....Horsepark, formerly in the possession of James SHERIDAN, the said three acres of the pole of Land called the town or village of Shercock where John M'MAHON formerly dwelt, and which joint Cormick O'NEILL's House and Tenement on the one side, and on the other side joined the road leading from Shercock to Bailieborough....the real and freehold estate of the Respondents, John GUMLEY and John Stewart GUMLEY, to come on before me at my Chambers, Inns Quay, in the City of Dublin, on or before the 21st day of December next, and proceed to prove the same.

Dated this 19th day of November, 1861

Edward LITTON, Master in Chancery

SMITH and WHITESTONE, Solicitors for said Petitioners, No. 75, Dame-street, Dublin


The Queen v. John JELLETT

Mr. CARSON applied, on the part of Thomas Adams M'GEAGH, for a conditional order for liberty to file a criminal information against Mr. John JELLETT, one of the coroners for the county of Antrim. He moved upon the affidavit of the prosecutor, which stated that in July last he was at the terminus of the Portrush and Ballymena Railway, where he observed four of the railway porters assaulting a man of the name of Hughes MAGEE. They were beating him in a brutal manner, and were dragging him along the platform, when Mr. M'GEAGH remonstrated with these officials for the harshness of their conduct towards the man, adding, that if MAGEE were guilty of any misconduct the proper course of proceeding was to hand him over to the police and not to abuse him in that shocking manner. While he was thus speaking, Mr. JELLETT came forward, and in an excited manner said, "Leave him (MAGEE) to me, and I will give him that which will do for him."...While this scene was taking place, Mr. M'KENNA, the station-master came up and said to the prosecutor that he should not interfere with the porters in the discharge of their duty......The affidavit of Mr. M'GEAGH went on to aver that he believed these insulting words were used with intent to provoke him to commit a breach of the peace by sending a hostile message to fight a duel...The Court granted a rule nisi.


BELFAST, SATURDAY.--This morning, at a little before six o'clock, a fire broke out in Mr. DAVISON's mill, Ballymacarrett, and the alarm was at once given by the miller to the police office, Belfast, at the constabulary barrack, and he also sent for the fire brigade. The constabulary, under Head constable LAMB, to the number of thirteen, were quickly on the spot, and their first object was to save as much of the contents of the mill as possible...Having heard that a young man named John FERGUSON, from Rockcorry, county Monaghan, aged about 19 years, an apprentice to the business of miller, was in the building, they endeavoured to reach him but without effect, and the poor fellow perished in the flames on the fourth storey....The premises were not insured, and the damage done will amount to several hundred pounds. The origin of the fire is supposed to have been at a new silk machine, which was being oiled at the time. The burning of these mills will throw several hands out of good employment.

November 30, 1861


Mary Anne BOYLAN was summoned for having been drunk in the public street. The defendant did not appear, and was fined 10s., or, in default, to be imprisoned for seven days.

Margaret CONNOLLY was summoned for disorderly conduct in the public street. She was fined 5s. and costs, or 48 hours' imprisonment.

The Court then rose.


Magistrates present: T. THOMPSON, W. BABINGTON, N. MONTGOMERY, and W. M. HICKSON, Esqrs.

John GILROY was brought up in custody charged on informations, with having, in company with several others, assaulted Thomas KEANY and Peter SKELLY, whilst drinking in the public-house of Francis CAHILL, of Carrickaboy, on Sunday, the 21st July last. Several parties were punished for being concerned in this assault, the particulars of which we published at the time. In KEANY's informations he swore that GILROY was one of the assailants. GILROY absconded, and did not return to this part of the country until a few days ago, when he was arrested by the police. KEANY, however, was unable to swear positively that GILROY was one of those who assaulted himself and SKELLY, and the latter was equally at fault.

The Chairman said that under these circumstances the case should be dismissed, but there could be very little doubt that the prisoner was guilty, and he advised him to be cautious of his conduct in future.

Bryan SMITH was charged with having assaulted Bernard SHERIDAN, on the last fair day of Cavan, by striking him twice on the head with a blackthorn stick. Complainant was riding a horse at the fair, and accidentally knocked down defendant, who, on rising, assaulted him.....The case was postponed from last Court day, in consequence of the non-attendance of complainant, who now stated that his mother would not allow him to attend previously.

The Chairman rebuked the complainant and his mother for their contempt of Court.

Complainant having proved the assault, an old man named Edward SMITH was examined by defendant to prove that complainant was riding furiously...The Chairman, in sentencing defendant to pay a fine of 2s. 6d. and costs, or a week's imprisonment said that the punishment would be much heavier did it not appeared that complainant had acted with some degree of recklessness, and cautioned complainant against furious riding in future. Defendant paid the fine.

Patrick M'GOVERN had a civil bill process against Edwd. SMITH for 12 weeks' rent of a stable, at 1s. 6d. per week, and for the amount of some shop goods. Plaintiff did not succeed in proving any agreement regarding the stable, nor produce his books to show the other debt. The case was dismissed without prejudice.

Ellen REILLY was charged with having, on the 18th instant, wilfully broken one basin and seven panes of glass, and on the 14th instant, one form, the property of the Guardians of the poor of Cavan Union. The defendant is a woman of very bad character, and had been an inmate of the Workhouse. When the present charge was brought under the cognizance of the Board, she made use of most scurrulous language towards the Master, in the Board-room and would have struck him, but for the timely interference of the Porter.

Jane CARTWRIGHT, another inmate of the Workhouse, proved the charge. The only excuse the prisoner offered was that she wanted to get out of the lock-up ward, to make a complaint against the Master. She was sentenced to a fortnight's imprisonment.

Thomas COTNAM, of Killevanny, summoned a man named Daniel RORKE, to give evidence under the following circumstances: He was coming into Cavan with a load of oats a few days ago, and before leaving home gave his sister £4 7s., notes and silver, which she put into a chest, no person being present but herself and her brother. COTNAM got RORKE (who is servant to a neighbouring farmer) to assist him in placing the oats upon the cart, and COTNAM's nephew, Thomas MULLEN, was also present. COTNAM's sister went to dig potatoes in a field...locking the door of the house and the chest which contained the money before she left. Cotnam proceeded towards Cavan...RORKE returned to his work, and MULLEN went in the direction of his mother's house. COTNAM's sister remained in the potato field for about an hour, and when she returned to the house she found that the chest had been broken open, and the £4 7s. stolen from it. The robber must have entered by a window...COTNAM's suspicions fell upon his nephew, Thomas MULLEN, and his object in swearing informations and summoning RORKE was to ascertain if he had seen MULLEN about the house during the absence of himself and his sister. RORKE, however, alleged that MULLEN left the vicinity of COTNAM's house when the latter went towards Cavan...he also stated that his back was turn towards COTNAM's house whilst working...Thos. MULLEN and his brother were present, and the latter put several questions to COTNAM. MULLEN was about to make a statement, but the Court recommended him not to do so, and the matter is still in the hands of the police.

Jane HARRISON was sentenced to a fortnight's imprisonment for stealing a quantity of potatoes, belonging to James HUMPHRYS.

Mary MULLEN (a notorious pickpocket, who did not appear) was sentenced to a month's imprisonment for assaulting Sub-constable LOUGHNANE, after he had arrested her for drunkenness.

The Court then rose.


With profound regret we have to record the demise of a consistent Christian, a good man, a gentleman, a scholar, and an able journalist...Mr. CARROLL was no ordinary man; nor was the position which he occupied one of an ordinary character. He had been for many years the proprietor and editor of the CARLOW SENTINEL....Mr. CARROLL was a Master of Arts of the University of Dublin, and was a man in every respect well calculated to uphold the honour of his Alma Mater.


DUNDALK, THURSDAY, NOV. 26--The sensation and excitement created on last Friday evening by the murder of Thomas HUGHES, the pointsman, at the Fanghall extra crossing, north of the Mountpleasant station on the Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway, still continues unabated. The stepson, whose name is Peter O'HARE, aged about twenty-one, is still retained in custody at the Ballybot Bridewell, Newry. Deceased was a widower when he married the Widow O'HARE, eight years ago, and both had families at the time. He was an intelligent man, aged about sixty years. It appears that the deceased was a member of the Protestant faith, while all the others of the family were Roman Catholics. Sub-inspector SUPPLE states that the gashes on the head are such as could not have been inflicted by a knife, but rather by some heavy instrument...On closing my letter I have just learned, on reliable authority, that since the deceased came into possession of the small farm with the widow he has paid large arrears of rent. There is little doubt entertained here that deceased and his stepsons were on bad terms.

County Cavan Newspaper Transcription Project

Ireland Home Page
County Cavan

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.