Cavan Observer
Published in Cavan, county Cavan

October 1, 1859


Before John H. Adams, Esq., J.P., and K. A. Minnet, Esq., J.P.

James DUFFY summoned James REILLY for 13s. 3d. wages, he earned it at mud making and other business with defendant, whose wife appeared and thought to have the case postponed, but the Bench said DUFFY must be allowed an additional day's wages if postponed. Rather than do this the case was proceeded with. The plaintiff had to go to Summerhill, county Meath, and did not wish to have another journey about so trifling a sum; he worked 9½ days at 1s. each day and 7½ days at 6d., and got 5 s., which left 8s. 3d. still due. Decree for 8s. 3d.

Michael M'CABE summoned Philip REILLY and his two sons for feeding their cattle on his ground, preventing him to make a ditch, and other ill-usage. When he went to turn the cows from off his meadow, they told him he got the place by roguery and would not enjoy it long; the father and son said these things, and the sons threatened to beat him if he complained; he further observed that he was in great danger of the violence of his very disagreeable neighbours doing him bodily harm.

In reply, the REILLYs denied the statements sworn by M'CABE; he was "all in the wrong himself;" he was very troublesome, for he had all his neighbours at law before....After some further statements and complimentary expressions, the parties, who altogether appeared to be as athletic as uncivilized, were dismissed and warned that they had better stay at home and behave themselves, for if they came to court again they must be put under bail.

Andrew BRADY summoned Lawrence CLARKE for 6s. wages. He was employed by defendant at 1s. a day, without diet, to make a ditch, or if he chose he would give him 15d. per perch; after working five days, and his brother one, he relinquished the business, not finding it pleasing; he only wanted what he earned, but defendant would give him none at all.

The defendant stated that he employed him to make the ditch by task, and was willing to pay him when it was finished....

The Bench gave a decree for 8d for every day the boy was at the ditch. Defendant was very angry leaving the court.

Owen REILLY summoned Francis and John DUFFY for an assault committed upon him while he was coming along the road from the fair of Castleblaney. He was travelling with the defendants, and at a certain place on the road, they leaped off their cart and pulled him and kicked him; he got on his horse again, and John DUFFY, who is son to Francis, pulled him down the second time and beat him severely; ...

The defendants stated that they were joking coming along the road; that they were all drunk, and their jokes degenerated into earnest, whereupon the plaintiff was provocating...


Patrick SHARKY summoned Robert DAVISON for discharging him from his service before his time was expired, without any just cause, the only complaint against him being that he'd hired with him about a fortnight ago, at 17s till 17th of November, and he got only half-a-crown and 2d......

DAVISON said (with much emphasis)--I'm not prepared to-day, but when I am I intend to "send him over."....he broke into his garden and stole two hundred of apples and hid them near a fort; the servant man saw him leaving the apples, and got them....The boy denied having stolen the apples, and the case was dismissed.

Owen and Mary DUFFY v. Mary MALOY

There was a cross-case between those parties. Owen DUFFY and his wife charged Mary MALOY with giving them every annoyance she possibly could, by word, action, and gesture. Mrs. DUFFY could tell the story much better than her husband. She said that Miss MALOY called her all the offensive names she could think of; she went past her door abusing her, and carrying stones, saying "that she'd never go by her door without carrying them," praying at the same time that she or her children might never live to enjoy it....

The Bench called upon Miss MALOY for her defence, and she having remained perfectly silent during Mrs. Duffy's statements.

Miss MALOY said that she went to pay for some milk which she got from Mrs. Duffy, but she began to abuse her and call her the most disgusting names...when I was going away, and her husband, seeing this leaped across a wall and threw me on the road; he and she then brutally assaulted me; they did this in the presence of many people...a young woman named Rose M'EVOY saw all this; I have her here.

Rose M'EVOY was sworn and said she saw the defendants abusing complainant; she saw Owen Duffy knock her down and kick her.

Mr. Minnet said it was quite clear an unmanly assault had been committed upon Miss Maloy; he would therefore fine Duffy 10s and costs.

Francis WIGGANS summoned John STEWART for his bad behaviour towards him during his term of service.. He went to the last fair of Cootehill without his permission and did not come home till the following evening, though his corn was on hands....he spent most of his time making turf for me, and on the day after I summoned him they were all thrown into a hole full of water in the bog...

STEWART said he went to buy "brogues" to Cootehill; he hadn't a stitch on his feet; he wanted to serve his master honestly, but he would not let him...

The Sergeant of Constabulary, at Coronary--he said that he saw the turf, and they must have been thrown in a hole; a man named GRAHAM was in WIGGANS' when he attempted to put the defendant out; he believed him (defendant) to be in fault.

All the evidence having accumulated against defendant, he was bound to keep the peace towards plaintiff for 12 months, himself in 10l., and two sureties in 5l. each.

Michael HAY summoned Anne CLARKE for damage done to his pig. They are both cotters, living with Mr. RUXTON in town, and live within a few yards of each other; he could not prevent his pig to go on her street; and lately she cut it in a few places with stones and did it much harm; it is worth 30s.; Mr. RUTHFORD saw the cuts that were upon it; she is a very disagreeable person.

The defendant, who had a fine child in her arms, having kept silent during HAY's statement now broke out into some plaintive and defensive sentences, and said defendant and his wife called her improper names; plaintiff and his wife killed 10 chickens on her since harvest, and were most disagreeable to live near. She was fined 1s., and costs.

After some other cases, which were of no importance, the Court rose.


Before T. Thompson, Esq., J.P.; A Carden, Esq., J.P.; and W. M. Hickson, Esq., J.P.

Mr. M'Gauran applied on behalf of the prisoner REILLY to have him admitted to bail, and after some discussion, the Court consented.

Anne FLOOD, of Creighan, was fined 6d. and costs for allowing her ass to wander on the public road at Killygarvey.

Farrell FITZPATRICK, of Cavan, was fined 6d., and costs, for allowing his pig to commit a similar offence.

Luke OLWILL, of Killygarry, was mulcted in the like sum, for allowing four of his porkers to perambulate without an escort.

Constable CONN played the Nemesis in each case.

Ann CONARTY v. Patrick FAY and Catherine FAY

The complainant in this case summoned the defendants (husband and wife) for an assault.

There was a cross-case, in which FAY charged her with a violent assault on himself; and, to put a climax to the matter, Mrs. CONARTY's husband had filed a civil bill process against FAY for a balance of 6s. 1d. due by him to his (Conarty') wife.

The quarrel arose out of an egg transaction. FAY is a dealer in eggs on a large scale and purchases from the smaller dealers. At their last transaction a dispute as to the counting of the eggs arose between Mrs. Conarty and the Fays, which terminated in blows, but the evidence was so contradictory that it was impossible to make "head or tail" of it... The Bench considered both assaults of a trifling nature, and could not say who was most to blame; they, therefore, dismissed both cases, and the process.

Rose TULLY v. Elizabeth MAGUIRE

This was also a charge and cross-charge of assault...A witness named Pat SMITH deposed to seeing the first complainant assault Elizabeth MAGUIRE. The Bench dismissed both the evidence was quite contradictory...

Henry SIMONS v. Philip BRADY

This was a charge of trespassing on complainant's land on Sunday, the 8th September. A second summons charged him with assaulting James SIMONS (complainant's son) on same day.

James SIMONS stated that he saw defendant in his father's fields of mangels and turnips; that he followed him and asked his name, which he refused to give...he assaulted him, and witness sent Bernard ROUKE for the police; defendant had a dog with him; the mangels were much injured by him...

Bernard ROURKE corroborated this statement.

BRADY said he was only looking for a few mushrooms in the field; he had no harm in refusing his name, as he was not aware that he was acting wrong in going into the field;....

The Chairman said defendant had acted wrong in both instances...After warning him against repeating such conduct, the Court sentenced him to pay a fine of 2s 6d. and costs.

Patt SHERIDAN was fined 2s. 6d. or 24 hours' imprisonment, for being drunk.

Michael M'EVOY summoned Honor FITZPATRICK for having beaten and cruelly ill-used his ass. Complainant and his son proved the charge. Honor pleaded that she got the ass going into her clover field, and ran to drive him away; a shovel was in her hand, and she struck the ass with it, but did not intend to do him harm, or know that it was contrary to law.

The Court informed her that she had left herself liable to a fine of £10, but as she was excited at the time,....they would only impose a fine of 2s. 6d. and costs, and caution her against venting her bad temper on dumb animals any more.

John CONNOR, alias POWER or POWELL, was charged with having stolen a bar, a pair of shoes, a key, a mantle, and a pair of stockings from the house of John CURRAN, on the previous night. The articles were produced, and identified by CURRAN.

The police deposed to having found some of the articles on the prisoner when arrested by them in this town. A man named FLOOD swore that the prisoner sold the mantle to him for 2d.

The prisoner was cautioned in the usual manner, and informed that it was optional with him to plead guilty, or be sent for trial to the Quarter Sessions. He pleaded not guilty, but made no further defence. He was accordingly sent for trial.

The Court then rose.


Sept. 19, at Belturbet, the wife of Mr. Patrick M'CABE, merchant, of a daughter.


On the 10th August, at Christ Church, Byculla, Bombay, by the Rev. J. D. GIBSON, Gurney HANBURY, Esq., H.M.'s 8th Hussars, to Emma, youngest daughter of the late James JOHNSTONE, Esq., of Drum, county Monagham.

On the 13th June, at Melbourne, by the Rev. D. J. DRAPER, Wesleyan minister, Mr. James W. KNOX, late of Belleek, Ireland, to Eliza, eldest daughter of Mr. Thos. EARLE, late of Enniskillen.


On the 25th ult., at his residence, Munelly, Clones, George SHEGOG, Esq., J.P., late paymaster of the Fermanagh Regiment of Militia.

On the 18th inst., in the Pauper Prison, Four Courts Marshalsea, George Humphries BROWN, Esq., late of Brown Park, County Wexford, after an incarceration of two years.

DEATH BY DROWNING--On Monday last, a boy named James MAGUIRE, belonging to this town, was accidentally drowned in Portora stream. He was assisting in bringing a boat load of turf up to the town and in the stream the boat encountered a squall when in gibing, the boom (we presume) struck the boy, and knocked him overboard.--ENNISKILLEN REPORTER

October 8, 1859


Magistrates present:--T. Thompson, Esq., J.P.; William Babington, Esq., J.P.; and W. Hickson, Esq., R.M.

Thomas CULLEN was fined 2s. 6d. and costs for cutting sallys on another man's property.

The police brought a charge of being connected with illicit distillation against Mr. Thomas RUDDY, publican, but failed to substantiate it.

Mrs. GILES summoned Patt BRADY, of Annagcliffe, for 5s. 0½d., amount of diet and lodging given by his directions to a mason in his employment, and for which he promised to be accountable.

Defendant swore he had only directed her to give the man a "meal's meat." The Court gave an order for the amount, with costs.

Defendant said he would appeal.

The other cases were trifling, and the Court then proceeded to consider the applications for spirit licenses, few of which were opposed. The Court then rose.


A LIST OF APPLICATIONS received by the Clerk of the Peace from Persons seeking

for the Sale of BEER, SPIRITS, &c., by Retail, within said county.....

On TUESDAY, the 11th day of October, 1859, immediately after the Grand Jury shall have been sworn:--

1. ARMSTRONG, John Church-street, Cavan Urney Upper Loughtee
2. ARMSTRONG, John Alexander Main-street, Killeshandra Killeshandra Tullyhunco
3. CRAWFORD, Eliza Ditto Ditto Ditto
4. CRAWFORD, Eliza Ditto Ditto Ditto
5. FITZPATRICK, Bernard Upper Bridge-street, Drumlane Lower Loughtee Belturbet
6. KIERNAN, Francis Scrabby Scrabby Tullyhunco
7. LORD, Charles Crossdoney Killmore Clonmahon.
8. M'MAHON, John Clonosy Anna


9. M'ENROE, Philip Ballyheelan Ballymacree Clonmahon
10. M'CANN, John Redhills Anna



Clerk of the Peace, County Cavan
Cavan, September 22, 1859


A LIST OF APPLICATIONS received by the Clerk of the Peace from Persons seeking

for the Sale of BEER, SPIRITS, &c., by Retail, within said county.....


On FRIDAY, the 14th day of October, 1859, immediately after the Grand Jury shall have been sworn:--

1. BREEN, Henry Main-street, Killeshandra Killeshandra Tullyhunco
2. CURNYN, Alice Killeuny Drumlane Lower Loughtee
3. FITZPATRICK, Bernard Belturbet Annagh Ditto
4. FITZPATRICK, Bernard Ditto Ditto Ditto
5. HAMILTON, Francis Dawny Killina Tullyhaw
6. M'KEANEY, Philip Belturbet Annagh Lower Loughtee
7. NUGENT, Sarah Swanlinbar Kinawley Tullyhaw

Clerk of the Peace, County Cavan
Cavan, September 26, 1859


A LIST OF APPLICATIONS received by the Clerk of the Peace from Persons seeking
for the Sale of BEER, SPIRITS, &c., by Retail, within said county.....

On TUESDAY, the 18th day of October, 1859, immediately after the Grand Jury shall have been sworn:--

1. CLARKE, John Main-street, Mullagh Mullagh Castleraghan
2. KEELAN, Michael Kingscourt Enniskeen Clonkee
3. M'GAHAN, John Market-street, Cootehill Drumgoon Tullygarvey
4. PRIOR, John Ditto Ditto Ditto
5. PRIOR, James Ditto Ditto Ditto
6. SHANNON, John Kingscourt Enniskeen Clonkee

Clerk of the Peace, County Cavan
Cavan, September 29, 1859

October 15, 1859


Magistrates present:--J. H. Adams, Esq., J.P., and R. A. Minnett, Esq., J.P.

Anne KING summoned her two sons, James and Charles KING, for having beaten and otherwise ill treated her. James, the eldest of the two brothers only appeared. When sworn, Mrs. KING, who is not at all interesting but appears to be a healthy dame, said that her sons beat her frequently; they would do as they thought proper themselves...her husband is dead these four years; her brother, Philip REILLY, supported her she said, he was witness to their general misbehaviour.

Her son, who is a simple looking lad, and appeared to be most wretched and utterly neglected as to cleanliness, food, &c., stated (being affected to tears while he spoke) that his mother made him work hard, and on many occasions he had to sleep behind a ditch for weeks...she would take his earnings....

Mr. Minnett observed that the boy had evidently been much neglected, but his mother's and uncle's testimony was strong against him and he must get a sureties to bail him 5l. each, and himself 10l., or be imprisoned one month. He was unable to get the required bail, and had to go to prison.

Andrew M'INTIRE v. Francis DUFFY.

These peaceable neighbours, who are so well know to this Court and elsewhere, again made their appearance on this day, M'INTIRE being the complainant (a case of trespassing by defendant's horses).....After expressing their disapproval of the quarrelsome manner in which they were behaving, their Worships gave a decree for 1s. for each horse, to be repeated as often as he was caught trespassing.

John WRIGHT summoned John M'CAFFRY, Francis GILLON, and Francis CAFFRY, for disorderly conduct coming along the road on the 15th ult. They appeared to be quite drunk, he said, but this was only feigned. They seemed to quarrel amongst themselves ...John M'CAFFRY struck his gate with a bar of iron he had in his hands with all his might.

The bench fined M'CAFFREY (sic) five shillings and costs. The others were dismissed.

M'KENNA v. M'CABE and others.

In this case, the plaintiff, Francis M'KENNA, appeared pursuant to informations sworn by him, to prosecute Simon, Patt, and Thomas M'CABE, and John HALFPENNY, for an assault committed on him while he was coming from Shercock on the 21st ult....When sworn he (M'KENNA) said --On yesterday fortnight was in this town attending the market; Thomas M'CABE aggravated me about whiskey; overtook his father on the road going home; my foot touched one of them (Thomas), when he began to kick and beat me; told him I wanted to have nothing to do with him....."Simy" got a stone and struck me on the forehead....only for assistance given by Patt MARTIN, Patt DALY and others they'd have taken my life; the doctor attended me several times since; my situation is uncertain still.

Patt MARTIN and Patt DALY also were sworn and corroborated M'KENNA's evidence...

The M'CABEs, Simon and Thomas (for Patt and HALFPENNY were not apprehended) said that M'KENNA was in fault, and Simon stripped his leg, showing a large cut, which he stated was given or inflicted by m"KENNA; he was 70 years' old and did not want any fighting....They had Thomas FARRELLY and James REILLY to prove how M'KENNA acted.

Thomas FARRELLY sworn--Saw M'KENNA come up to Thomas M'CABE on the road and strike him without saying anything; after kicking him he did the same with his father.....

James REILLY, who was with FARRELLY, corroborated his testimony.....

Stuart SNODDIN was sworn on behalf of the M'CABEs, but the Sergeant of Constabulary having noticed him not to kiss the book, his evidence had no weight.

After a few minutes consultation, the Bench decreed that each of the M'CABEs, and also HALFPENNY, pay M'KENNA £1 10s. compensation, and be fined each £1, or a month's imprisonment, with hard labour.

[On the following morning Patt M'CABE, who had evaded pursuit, and to console and comfort himself in the mean time got married, was taken, but his fair companion, who had some money, that she earned by being at service, paid the fine, £2 12s. 6d., for him]


The Quarter Sessions for the Cavan district of the County were opened on Tuesday last, before P. M. Murphy, Esq., Q.C., Chairman of the County.

The following magistrates occupied seats on the Bench with his Worship:--W. Babington, D.F. Jones, J. G. Tatlow, T. Thompson, and J. Gumly, Esqrs., Captain Phillips, and W. M. Hickson, Esq., R.M.

After the usual formalities, the following gentlemen were sworn as the Grand Jury: T. HARTLEY, A. GILROY, E. KENNEDY, James GILROY, James MORROW, Francis HUDDLESTONE, Henry DOUGLAS, Hugh PORTER, P. SMITH, A. KETTYLE, J. PRUNTY, George GRAHAM, Henry NESBITT, J. MOORE, George MANNING, J. MURPHY, Esqrs.


Thomas LYNCH, who was charged with having assaulted Sub-Constable Michael SMITH, of Stradone, at the late disgraceful rioting at the fair of that town. The case was reported in the OBSERVER at the time of the investigation....LYNCH and two other prisoners were sentenced to two months' imprisonment each, from which decision LYNCH appealed. Sub-Constables SMITH and MONAGHAN proved the charge, and were cross-examined by Mr. Edward M'GOVERN, who called upon Mr. FAY, of this town, and a Mr. SMITH, to testify to the good character of LYNCH....

His Worship said he had no doubt of LYNCH's guilt, and, however painful it was to see a respectable man in such a position, he saw no reason why he should alter the decision of the magistrates.

There was only one insolvent case, a Mrs. BRADY, who, as at the previous sessions, was unable to attend. Dr. M'QUILLEN made a declaration as to the state of her health....His Worship granted a delay until next sessions.

The Grand Jury having returned, and handed in the bills, were discharged, and the Crown business was proceeded with.

The following petty jury were sworn:--J. TREVOR, S. TWEEDY, S. WILSON, T. GILHOOLY, P. LEE, R. FOSTER, B. GAFFNEY, W. PRATT, J. DOBSON, J. TEEVAN, S. BREDEN, and J. KELLETT.

Owen CULLEN, Allice CULLEN, Edward REILLY, and Patrick REILLY, of Shankill, were charged with riot and assault.

The case arose out of a quarrel which took place between the Reillys and the Cullens when the former were returning from the fair of Cavan on the 1`2th July.

Edward, Terence and Mary REILLY were examined as to the facts, and according to their statement were going home quietly, when in passing CULLEN's door, a dog of CULLEN's ran at them, and one of the REILLYs threw a stone at the dog; old CULLEN inquired "what blackguard had struck his dog;".....His Worship said the story was a most ridiculous one, and recommended them all to plead guilty. To this their counsel consented, and his Worship, after cautioning them, bound them over in their own recognances....The prisoners were then discharged.

Patrick HOLDEN was indicted for having committed a common assault on Bridge EARLY, on the 13th of June last.

Bridget EARLY sworn--Lives in Tona; on the night of the 13th of June, after doing my little business, was in bed with my children; I had five children in bed with me; I never felt anything until I awoke; the prisoner was on his knees at the side of the bed when I awoke; he had his hand on my breast; I called out to know who it was, and he said "whist;" I then shook my son and awoke him; he asked "what was an me;" I said, Hugh, Hugh, don't you see the man;" he said, "Don't be frightened, it's only Patt HOLDEN;.....

Hugh EARLY, a young lad about twelve years of age, son to the prosecutrix, corroborated her statement....

Constable CASSIDY sworn--Is stationed in Mountnugent; the prosecutrix came to me some day in June to complain that a man had entered her house; she said it was Patt HOLDEN who had done so.....The window is low down; I think a cart would be no obstruction to a man getting into the home.....she told me that it was rumoured that Terry COOKE had held the horse for HOLDEN.....Cassidy said he was not sure on which occasion she spoke about it. He also sated in reply to Mr. Knipe that he did not report the case at the time, as he did not consider it an outrage....

Terrence COOKE was examined and deposed that he was with HOLDEN on the night of the alleged offence, and came within a few perches of the house of the prosecutrix..He denied having anything to do with HOLDEN's horse, and made, with apparent reluctance, some charges against the woman's character....Other witnesses were also examined, and one woman --a Mrs. RORKE--swore that the prosecutrix had made overtures to obtain money from the prisoner...

His Worship after commenting on the singular nature of the case, and explaining the law on the subject, said he left the matter in the hands of the jury....After some deliberation the jury returned a verdict of guilty. His Worship sentenced the prisoner to one month's imprisonment.

James ROURKE was charged with having a loaded pistol in his possession in a proclaimed district. He pleaded guilty and said he had got the pistol from a young man; that he did not know that it was loaded, and was bringing it to be repaired, when he took a little drop and was arrested by the police.

The prisoner received a good character. His Worship said that he would have felt called upon to pass a very severe sentence upon him but for his good character. He sentenced him to one month's imprisonment.

John REILLY was charged with having on the 9th inst., at Cavan, broken into and entered the dwelling house of Henry M'GUIRK, and stolen a quantity of clothes....He acknowledged being in the house, but pleaded that his intentions were innocent. The case having been heard, the jury returned a verdict of guilty, and his Worship sentenced him to eight months imprisonment, with hard labour.

John MAGINNESS and James MAGINNESS were indicted for having on the 15th of August at Cavan assaulted Henry WALLS, so as to endanger his life; also with having committed a common assault upon him; and with having been guilty of a riot at the same time and place.....Mr. J. Armstrong prosecuted, and Mr. M'Gauran defended the prisoners, who were found guilty, and sentenced to eight months' imprisonment, with hard labour.

John CONNOR was indicted for having stolen a hat, pair of shoes, a key, and mantle from the house of John CURRAN....The prisoner was found guilty, and his Worship sentenced him to two years' imprisonment.....

This closed the Crown business.

His Worship sat at ten o'clock on Thursday, and proceeded to dispose of civil bill cases....The following breach of warranty was heard "inter alia":--


This was an action for breach of warranty, and the plaintiff deposed that he bought a mare from the defendant on the 19th July last, and that he secured a warranty of perfect soundness, but after a few days the mare went lame and continued to do so ever since.

Mr. HARDMAN, veterinary surgeon, deposed as to the character of the conclusion of his evidence the Court decreed in favour of the plaintiff.


Magistrates present:--T. Thompson, W. Babington, B. Erskine, and A. Brush, Esqrs.

Mr. GAHAN, the County Surveyor, summoned Patrick BRADY, of Anagcliffe; P. BRADY, of Oldtown; and James CAHILL, road contractors, for not having the road which they contracted for in a proper condition. Mr. GAHAN allowed the defendants until the 31st of October to complete the contract. Defendants paid the costs.

A charge of assault preferred by Sub-Constable WALLACE, of this town, against a young man named Edward KEMP, and a cross charge against WALLACE, were then gone into; but it turned out that the assault consisted in Mr. KEMP's elbow knocking against Mr. WALLACE while passing down the Main-street; or Mr. WALLACE's elbow knocking against Mr. KEMP, according to the separate accounts .....Their Worships, after a lengthened investigation, dismissed both charges.

A charge of waylay and assault was preferred by a man named REILLY and his wife against Samuel SMITH, his wife, Patrick LYNCH, Margaret LYNCH, and Patrick TULLY, and also a charge of having robbed him of £4 5s. on the 3rd of October....A cross-charge of assault was preferred against REILLY by some of the others.

From the evidence it appeared the REILLY had brought on the quarrel by his own conduct, and that he was drunk at the time of the quarrel. The Court dismissed all the charges preferred by him, and fined him 5s., 10s., and 5s., and costs, respectively for the assaults charged against him.

After disposing of some other cases of small interest, the court adjourned.

SHOCKING DEATH--A lamentable and shocking occurrence took place on Friday last, as the passenger van from Bundoran to this town was two miles from Ballyshannon, on this side. Mr. Robert COPELAND, of Blacklion, son of Mr. James COPELAND, Lisbellaw, was on the van, and owing to some whim or restlessness, resolved to go round to the other side. He accordingly leaped off for that purpose, as the vehicle was going rapidly up a hill. He was a heavy man, and at such a time it was next to impossible to alight fairly on one's feet. When he was immediately noticed he was lying on the road dead, having burst one of the principal blood-vessels. An inquest was held on the body, and a verdict returned of death from apoplexy, and the bursting of a blood-vessel.--FERMANAGH REPORTER

OCTOBER 22, 1859

FAIR NIGHT AFFRAY--On the night of the 10th inst., as a party of countrymen were returning from Enniskillen to the neighbourhood of Derrylin, some altercations arose among them, about ten or eleven o'clock at Wilson's cross-roads, and secondly at Derryvan, about three miles from Derrylin, in the course of which a man named CRAWFORD received severe injuries with a large kitchen tongs. The aggressive party, consisting of about thirty, on the fortunate appearance of Constable M'NAMA (sic) and patrol party, retreated leaving CRAWFORD and his companions. Next day a man named William BLAKE, of Drumdoney, was arrested as one of the principals and committed by Captain JOHNSTON, of Swanlinbar. CRAWFORD lies dangerously ill, so much so, that no medical certificate has yet been obtained in order to enable BLAKE to be admitted to bail.--FERMANAGH REPORTER.


An inquest on the remains of the unfortunate man, Patrick LYONS, who was murdered on the bridge of Athlone on Saturday evening, was held on Monday, before Theobald FETHERSTON H., Esq., and a respectable jury of the traders of the town. James ROSS, R.M., William POTTS, and William PIDGEON, Justices, were present.

The body of the deceased remained in the Petty Sessions Courthouse, where it had been conveyed by the police, on the night of the murder. It presented a hideous spectacle. The head cloven in two, and the face so disfigured as to be quite unrecognisable as belonging to a human body.

When the jury had been sworn, it was intimated to the coroner that the two persons, Michael EGAN and Henry DARBY, charged with the commission of this act, desired to be present, to which the court acceded, and the prisoners were brought up under an escort.

EGAN is tall able fellow, over six feet high, with a very bad countenance. He was dressed in a bargaon trowsers and waistcoat, with white sleeves. DARBY is equally ill-looking, of middle stature, broad shoulders, heavy brows, and black whiskers round his face. His dress, an old torn corduroy trowsers, jacket of blue cloth, with a black jerry hat, turned up in front, completed the costume of as ill-favoured a person as could be conceived.

The first witness examined was the brother of the deceased, Thomas LYONS, who deposed that he left his work on Saturday at three o'clock, and went to his lodgings at Berries, about two miles from the town, where he met his brother, the deceased, and a comrade named NEVIN--all three employed on the Great Northern and Western Railway--and came to town together on that evening; having made some purchases, they called at the house of a carpenter, named GILLIGAN, whose wife is sister to the wife of witness; GILLIGAN and his wife accompanied them to a public house, at the foot of the bridge, kept by a person named PERCY; here they remained about half an hour, and left the house about nine o'clock, the deceased, GILLIGAN, and NEVIN walking abreast across the bridge, the witness and GILLIGAN's wife close behind them; witness had not walked more than six yards when DARBY, one of the prisoners, advanced from the side of the bridge, and attempted to strike witness with a loaded whip which he held in his hand, at the same time tripping him and bringing him upon his knees; witness said, "what did you do that for?" when DARBY replied, "Tom, I did not think it was you was in it;" hearing this altercation, the deceased turned round and asked witness "what happened him?" upon which the prisoner EGAN made his appearance, and said "what can you make about it?" at the same moment striking the deceased on the head with a stick and staggering him; and as he was falling, DARBY stepped a few paces back, and with one blow of the whip handle smashed the skull of the deceased; DARBY and EGAN then both screamed out for the "big navvy," meaning NEVIN, who ran away when he saw what occurred, witness ran for the police and met three constables coming towards him, to whom he described the prisoners.

Thomas NEVIN was sworn, but he refused to identify the prisoners.

Anthony GILLIGAN was also examined, and at first denied that he was present when the murder was committed, and swore that "he had no knowledge" of the prisoners whatever; but on a threat of committal he corroborated all the facts of the case given by the first witness.

The Jury, without hesitation, returned the following verdict:--"We find that the deceased, Patrick LYONS, came by his death at Athlone, on the night of the 15th of October, from injuries inflicted on his head by Henry DARBY and Michael EGAN, by some blunt instrument."

The Coroner at once made out a warrant of committal, and the prisoners were forwarded to the county gaol at Mullingar.

The Constables are deserving of the highest credit for the prompt arrest of these men. DARBY was found concealed in a field outside the town, within an hour after the crime was committed; and EGAN was arrested sleeping in a field on the following Sunday morning, on his way, it is supposed, to kindred spirits in the King's County or Tipperary.

DREADFUL SUICIDE--A most painful sensation as created in Birr Barracks on last Saturday morning. At six o'clock George MILLAR, a private in the 1st Royals, quartered in that town, got up after the first bugle, went and told his comrades "they would soon have to clean the room after him." He then took his razor, and cut his throat right across, shut the razor, and fell back on his bed. Assistant Surgeon BOYLE was quickly in attendance, but before five minutes the unfortunate man had ceased to breathe. George HEENAN, Esq., the coroner, held an inquest on the same afternoon, and a verdict was returned in accordance with the above facts. MILLAR was upwards of twenty years in the service, and in a very short time would be entitled to his discharge. He was a quiet person, and no reason can be assigned for the perpetration of this dreadful act.

A WONDERFUL WARRANT OF REMOVAL--One day last week Bridge CASEY, a native of the county Sligo, was shipped from Edinburgh to Belfast, under the provisions of a Poor Removal Act, passed in the year 1579. The order commenced--"Take notice, that as you were born in Ireland"--and after stating the provisions of the goes on--"I give you this notice, that you may not pretend ignorance; and I further warn you that if you shall afterwards return to Scotland, and apply for relief, or again become chargeable, yourself or your family, to this city of Edinburgh, without having obtained a settlement therein, you shall be deemed to be a vagabond and, under the provision of an act of the Scottish parliament, passed in the year 1597, entitled 'An Act for the Punishment of Strange and Idle Beggars, and Relief of the Pure and Impotent,' may be apprehended and prosecuted criminally before the sheriff of the county; and shall, upon conviction, be punishable by imprisonment, with or without hard labour, for a period not exceeding two months.--G. Jameson." Comment on the above is unnecessary. A law to punish the poor could not be obtained without ransacking the archives of the Scottish parliament of nearly 300 years ago. The original can be seen with Captain M'BRIDE.


Before Wm. Babington, Esq., J.P., Chairman; Abraham Brush, Esq., J.P.; and Andrew Carden, Esq., J.P.

Patrick REILLY, of Granard, was sentenced to six months' imprisonment, with hard labour, for absenting himself from the last training of the Cavan Militia--he being a distinguished member of that regiment and also of the Longford and Westmeath Regiments of Militia.

Patrick M'AUALLY--an individual with a very ligubrious visage, and apparently of a rather lachrymore tendency--was awarded four months for a similar offence--the mitigation being in consequence of a sort of negative "character" which he received from the Head-Constable who arrested him in Granard, and accompanied him to Cavan.

Their Worships commented strongly upon the nefarious system of desertion and fraudulent enlistment so extensively practised by such fellows as the prisoners.

A young lad, named SHERIDAN, was sentenced to a month's imprisonment with hard labour, for assaulting three young policemen (recruits) in Bridge-street, on the evening of the 11th instant.

Maria REILLY (one of the "unfortunates") was sentenced to two months' imprisonment, for stealing a cape, parasol and pocket handkerchief, the property of Jane GUMLEY, in the Methodist Meeting House, on Saturday night.

Margaret M'KEON summoned Catherine CONNELL for assaulting her on the night of the 11th inst.

The defendant is the daughter-in-law of complainant; they are both denizens of "Paradise-row;" and both produced a considerable quantity of their tresses which each alleged to have been pulled out by the other.

The Bench, after offering some advice touching their domestic relations &c., ordered them to find securities to keep the peace towards each other---or be imprisoned for a fortnight.

Some trifling cases having been disposed of, the Court adjourned.


October 7th, at Belturbet, the wife of Mr. John M'KINDRY, of a son.


THE SUSPECTED MURDER--MULTIFARNHAM, SATURDAY--The body of the man, Wm. GEREAGHTY, who was supposed to be murdered on his way home from the fair of Castlepollard on the night of Monday, the 10th instant, was found on Wednesday at the edge of the lake (Dereveragh), in about five feet of water. His coat pockets were filled with good-sized stones, but whether carried by the unfortunate man for defence, or put there for the purpose of keeping him under water, is not known.

His head was in a fearful state, and bore evidence of the most brutal treatment. An inquest was held on Thursday, and a verdict of "Wilful Murder" returned against two of the men, KENNEDY and GEHARTY; and the other two, a brother of GEHARTY and one FEGAN, as partly concerned. From the circumstances and the evidence, there can be no doubt the poor man was deliberately murdered, and put into the lake for concealment. The shirt and trowsers of one of the party were discovered by the police on Tuesday night in a house, concealed under a bed--the former marked with blood, and latter quite wet to the waistband, and covered with bogstuff. The police are indefatigable in their efforts to capture the four men; two or three of them were seen to cross the Float, where they lighted their pipes at a cabin, but beyond that there appears no other clue to their whereabouts.

MULTIFARNHAM, SUNDAY NIGHT--There is a very curious circumstance which I did not know when I sent you the last particulars of the murder. The man GEHARTY, against whom the verdict of wilful murder is given, is great grandson of the GEHARTY who was hung on Knockion for the murder of Mr. NANGLE's family at Streamstown. He remained hung in chains on the top of Knockion till the crows picked his eyes out.

(From Our Own Correspondent)

GALWAY, MONDAY--John KIRWAN and John BOLTON appeared to answer the complaint of Alex. THOMPSON, Esq., collector of customs for being, on the 29th September, 1859, "concerned in importing certain prohibited goods, to wit, 1,072 pounds weight of unmanufactured tobacco, of the value of £200 2s. 2d., contrary to section 232 of the Customs Consolidation act,, 1853."

Mr. M'NAMARA appeared for Mr. THOMPSON, and Messrs. ROCHFORT and O'SHAUGHNESSY for the defendants.

The tobacco was concealed in tin canisters in the centre of four hogsheads, marked and containing pigs'-heads, and arrived here per the Jason from New York. There were two canisters in each hogshead, containing over one hundred weight each.

Mr. Thompson, collector, said that he had valued the tobacco at 7d. per pound, which would amount to £31 5s.4d., and with duty added, £202 2s. 2d. The law empowered them to treble the sum....

Mr. ROCHFORT stated that the bench were empowered to reduce the fine to one fourth, and he hoped they would recommend the board to make a still further reduction.

The Chairman said the bench had decided that they would reduce it to one-fourth, but they would make no recommendation to the board to reduce the fine to a smaller sum.

Mr. O'SHAUGHNESSY next applied that the bench would withhold the warrant, until the defendants would communicate with the board.

Mr. O'CONNELL, R.M., said that lay with the collector....The warrant was accordingly issued for the arrest of the defendants.

A MAN KILLED BY A BULL--On Tuesday last a man named David M'DOWELL was killed by a bull in the townland of Aughnagurgan, parish of Armaghbrague.....

AN ENCOUNTER WITH A BULL--On Thursday last, Mr. Arthur R. KAYE had a narrow escape from the "tender mercies" of an excited young bull, which providentially resulted in no further injury to him than the infliction of a cut and some bruises (he had been walking) through the fields at Harrymount, Newtownhamilton, taking with him a pointer and a spaniel.....ARMAGH GUARDIAN

A MAN ATTACKED BY A LION--In Grange, county Sligo, on Saturday night, a young man named Charles GILIAN, was attending Mr. BATTY's Menagerie, when he was attacked by the lion, and received eleven wounds from the animal. Had it not been for mounted Sub-constable RIED of Constabulary, of that post, who went to his relief....IBID.

October 29, 1859



The sessions commenced on Tuesday, the 18th, before P. Murphy, Esq., Q.C., Chairman of the county.

None of the cases possessed any public interest, save one against the constabulary, arising out of the revival movement and the proceedings at petty-sessions.

The case of Patrick O'HARA against Sub-constables BOYD and M'GONNELL, and Patrick GARAHAN and his wife against Head-constable HARRISON, excited considerable interest.

Edward M'GAURAN, John DUDGEON and William MAHAFFY, Esqrs., appeared for the plaintiffs.

Thomas Edward WRIGHT and James ARMSTRONG, Esqrs., for defendant.

Patrick GARAHAN sworn--I am one of the plaintiffs in this action. On Sunday night, the 9th, I saw O'HARA in the street about half-past eight o'clock. I lived and worked with him for the last twelve months. He came drunk to my door on that night. I brought him into the house, and asked the crowd what they wanted. Saw Mr. FOY there. Asked him what did he want. He said he wanted the name of the man who went in, as he had assaulted several persons coming from the church, and that he had sent for the police to arrest him. I told him I would give his name in the morning. Mr. FOY went away. In a few minutes Mr. FOY and the police returned, and I heard a rap at the door. I opened the door, and Mr. FOY, the police and a young man named WOODS entered. I told the police I would not (illegible) the man go that night, but would be accountable in the morning. The head-constable told the men to take him. I endeavoured to prevent them, and was caught by Constable HACKETT in front and Head-Constable HARRISON behind, O'HARA was dragged out by the constables while I was held. I went out after the prisoner. I went into the barracks with him. One of the men said "put him on a form." "We will," said another and, shashed him on the ground. One of them commenced to kick him. HARRISON was not present, I said" "Gentlemen, this is hard treatment to give a prisoner." One of the men then said to me: "You have no business here." He took me by the shoulder and put me out. I called on KELLY (one of the constables) that I would take him for a witness.

Cross-examined--BOYD kicked the prisoner three times. The prisoner was insensible drunk.

Mrs. GARAHAN was examined to corroborate her husband.

Ann MOONEY sworn--Is servant in the employment of Mr. James WOODS. Saw the police take O'HARA. GARAHAN attempted to prevent him. HACKETT, the policemen, caught GARAHAN by the front, and HARRISON behind. I loosened HARRISON's hold. HARRISON struck me with a stick. Mrs. GARAHAN must have seen me struck, and so much Patt GARAHAN....

Patt GARAHAN and Mrs. GARAHAN were then recalled, and swore that they did not see MOONEY struck...

Mr. GARTLAN deposed that O'HARA was drunk and was a desperate character.

Sub-Constable HACKETT examined--Went with the head-constable to arrest O'HARA. GARAHAN attempted to keep O'HARA....

Sub-Constable KELLY examined--Saw Constable BOYD kick O'HARA three times. Is certain it was three times. Saw M'GONNELL kick him.

Sub-Constable BOYD examined--Assisted in bringing the prisoner to the barracks....

Subconstable M'GONNELL swore most positively he did not kick O'HARA.

Sub-Constable SIMPSON corroborated the evidence of BOYD and M'GONNELL.............

His Worship, in delivering judgment, again took occasion to pass a high eulogium on Head constable HARRISON, and said that, although he acted illegally, he had no doubt he did so from a conscientious belief that he was doing his duty...Had the charge been one of felony, the police had every right to follow him, but in the case of assault on the representation of a third party, the had no right; but taking the very reprehensible conduct of the tailor into consideration, and that state of the town, he would (illegible) and Head constable 30s., let them divide it as they chose. He hoped the town would soon return to its usual tranquility.


Before John Adams, Esq., J.P., and Richard A. Minnett, Esq., J.P.

Francis M'KENNA summoned Francis BEGGIN and James LYNCH for an assault, committed on 1st October. When sworn he said he was in "Judy M'CLUSKEY's" on the evening of the assault; BEGGIN came in to aggravate him, and asked why he would be saying such things to him as he heard after him, and that if he did so in future, he'd 'break the eye in his head,' at the same time leaving his fist quite close to his nose; LYNCH was in the place, and without any interference previously took hold of him on behalf of BEGGIN, and beat him in a very disorderly manner.

Several other witnesses were examined, some of whom proved that they saw the assault, and others of nothing but pushing and dragging. LYNCH stated positively that he did not strike M'KENNA; but anxious as he and his companion were to escape justice, they were both fined 5s. and costs, or 14 days' imprisonment.

Owen GARRAHAN summoned Bernard M'INREW for 10s amount of an appraiser's bill. His corn was destroyed by defendant's cows to the value of the sum he claimed. Decree for 10s.

James BODEL v. John IRWIN

This was an action for the illegal removal of a horse.

Plaintiff sworn--A swop (sic) of horses took place between IRWIN and myself; he came to my house to make it; did not like his mare and did not like to exchange my horse; did exchange in the end and got 25s. boot; the was worth about 4l.; it was through a man's influence , whose name is PEPPER, that the swop took place....On cross-examination plaintiff said he could not be certain who brought the horse; {transcriber's note: no resolution to this case]

Thomas M'MAHON summoned Richard LUNDY for 8s. 6d., amount of an appraisor's bill. He said that defendant's cows eat all his cabbage...he was a cotter with LUNDY, and worked honestly for him; Mr. RUTHERFORD was the appraisor...Decree for 8s. 6d.

Constable STUART, of the Shercock station, summoned Michael KEARNAHAN for assault committed on him on Sunday the 8th instant, while in the discharge of his duty...When asked had he any defence to make, the traverser said that he had not; he besought their worships to pardon him as he was drunk at the time....he begged forgiveness and he'd "sin no more" in future; but the Bench....fined him 2l., or a month's imprisonment, with hard labour. He was taken into custody.

Sub-constable John FANNERTY who was with constable STUART at the time of the assault, summoned or brought up Bernard KEARNAHAN charged with assaulting him on the same occasion. He said he was on duty and the traverser was both drunk and disorderly...Like his brother, he asked pardon and was very sorry for what he had done...Their Worships, after commenting on the serious nature of his crime, ordered him to pay 1l. fine, or be imprisoned 14 days, with hard labour.

Matty KING summoned her son, James KING, for ill-treating and beating her. When called she made a great noise in the crowd where she was standing, and having come up to the Bench she broke into the following exclamations: fie, fie, fie, you're my son! don't you know what this is all about....Her son, who is a simple looking man, here began to cry and Matty to scold him with increased fury...the Bench ordered her to be taken away, at the same time stating that she was a popular nuisance in the country, and wished her in Armagh Asylum; with some difficulty the police dragged her away, while she kept her tongue going as she went.

Edward PHILLIPS summoned James WIER and Alexander MARRIN for having prevented him to pass on a way that led to his bog. He said that he was going by this "pass" for the last 20 or 30 years......An old man appeared to defend the case. He said that it was he that ordered the pass to be stopped on PHILLIPS, and therefore thought he should be answerable and not those who acted under his orders. The pass he said was not a public one, he had it for his private use, but many persons came with their horses and carts and helped to fix it; it cost him 10l.; PHILIPS offered 6d. as a help in repairs....he said he's shoot any one that would prevent him to go on it....James WIER and Alexander MARRIN fined 2s 6d. each for not appearing. Pass to be left open.

Francis DERMOTT summoned Daniel KEARNAHAN for damage done by a dog.

Philip MARTIN was sworn, and said that a young woman told him and others that a dog was destroying the fowl; he went immediately and knew the dog to belong to defendant....Bessy M'MAHON was examined, but did not know what kind the dog was, she thought it was a fox. There were seven chickens lost, but only four found with the dog. Decree for 2s. 8d.

After fining a few fellows for being drunk on the public road, the Court rose.


Magistrates present--T. Thompson, Esq., Chairman' N. Montgomery, W. Babington, and A. Brush, Esqrs.

Mr. TULLY, on behalf of Mrs. R. STEWART, of Cavan, applied to the Bench to cancel indentures binding her son as an apprentice to Mr. John Francis DUNNE, watchmaker, on the ground that as Mr. DUNNE had closed his establishment, and left Cavan, he had violated the contract. It was also sought to recover a portion of the fee paid to Mr. DUNNE at the time the indentures were signed.

Some discussion arose between their Worships and Mr. Tully as to the act of Parliament under which he brought his application. A friend of Mr. DUNNE came forward and requested their Worships to postpone the case until next Monday, as he had received a letter from Mr. DUNNE, in which he stated that he intended to be in Cavan on Thursday, to collect some outstanding debts, and that he was most anxious to come to an amicable arrangement with Mrs. STUART. Mrs. STUART said Mr. DUNNE had made a similar promise before, and broken it. Finally she consented to the application, and the case was accordingly adjourned.

RORKE v. SHERIDAN The complainant in this case was that defendant, on the 18th of October, did wilfully and maliciously injure the mearing fence of complainant.

The case was gone into at considerable length--complainant's statement being to the effect that the fence in question was the only shelter on that portion of the land where he was building a house, through the kindness of the landlord, and that defendant cut it to the very ditch, through ill-will towards him.

Defendants' statement was that for the last 23 years he had been in the habit of cutting and keeping this fence in order...His wife corroborated his story.

Finally, Mr. Armstrong applied for an adjournment on that ground that his client was not served in time (Saturday evening) sufficient to enable him to summon witnesses acquainted with the place of the fence. Defendant made an affidavit to that effect, and the Bench, with much reluctance, consented to grant his application, cautioning him at the same time, not to attempt to meddle with the fence in the interim.


In this case complainant charged FITZSIMONS with having obstructed a pass leading through his land, and also with having assaulted his son.

From the statement of Mr. M'GOVERN and the evidence of the complainant, it appeared that the pass had been made many years ago by the landlord, through this land now occupied by defendant, in order to give LEDDY a means of passing to and from his own farm;...The assault was proved by complainant's son, and was committed on him by defendant, who tried to prevent him from using the pass. It was not a very aggravated one, however......

The Bench, after explaining to defendant the severe penalties proposed by law on any person interfering with an old-established pass, imposed a fine of 1l., or a month's imprisonment, and cautioned his wife, who, it appeared, had given him at least vocal assistance against the too free use of that often troublesome member--a woman's tongue.

The Constabulary preferred a charge against a young man, whose name we did not distinctly hear, of having been the person who threw a stone at the car on which a young lady, named Miss BLACK, and some relatives were driving home from a Revival meeting in this town on Sunday fortnight, striking that young lady in the breast, and hurting her severely....The young man in custody had formerly been in service with her family....Miss BLACK, her brother, and Sergeant M'AULEY all gave it as their opinion that if the prisoner were on the road at the time he would hardly been seen by those in the car.

The prisoner, after being cautioned, said he got drunk that night, and went into MATTHEWS' house to light his pipe on the way home. On coming out he fell asleep at the side of the ditch and was awoke by the car passing, when he heard a noise, but can't say whether it was the crack of a stone or a whip. He was never in charge before, and would not think of injuring any one, &c.

The magistrates after consulting for some time, said they were of opinion that he either threw the stone himself or knew who did. They would, therefore, remand him for a week. The prisoner was then admitted to bail on his own recognizance.


On Monday evening last, the wife of Mr. John MAGUIRE, Bridge-street, of a son.

On Monday, the 17th instant, the wife of Mr. Robert HUNTER, Tempo, of a son.

At Monaghan, on the 26th instant, the wife of the Rev. James HENRY, of a son.


On Tuesday, the 25th instant, at the Independent Chapel, Uttoexter, Staffordshire, England, by the father of the bride, assisted by the Rev. J. COOKE, John CARSON, Esq., surgeon, of this town, to Anna Maria, eldest surviving daughter of the Rev. S. NICHOLS, of the former place.


On yesterday evening at his residence, Cavan, aged 30 years, Mr. Michael SHEPPARD, deeply regretted by all who knew him.

October 24, at Rossclare, county Fermanagh, the infant daughter of Captain D'ARCY.

October 20, at Omagh, county TYRONE, the Rev. Thomas FITZPATRICK, J.P., aged 82.

The rectory and vicarage of Delgany, county Wicklow, has become vacant by the death of the Rev. James WEST. The appointment is in the hands of his Grace the Archbishop of Dublin. The annual value of the incumbency is about £3000 per annum.

County Cavan Newspaper Transcription Project

Ireland Home Page
County Cavan

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.