Cavan Observer
Published in Cavan, county Cavan

January 1, 1859


In Cavan Church on the 30th December, by the Rev. W. H. STONE, M. Alexander MAYNE, of Belfast, to Kate, eldest daughter of the late John TRIMBLE, Esq., and granddaughter of the late George FITZGIBBON, Esq., Knockony, Ballygawley.

December 27, at Drumkeering Church, by the father of the bride, assisted by the Ref. W. E. JAMES, the Rev. Julius S. HEARN, second surviving son of the late W. E. HEARN, Vicar of Kildrumferton, county of Cavan, to Elizabeth, youngest daughter of the Rev. Charles Lyons MONTGOMERY, Rector of Innismagrath, county of Leitrim.


December 24, Gertrude Charlotte Ernestine, youngest daughter of the Rev. Charles Maxwell FOX, of Dreshernan Parsonage, county of Fermanagh.

December 25, at Maynooth, Anne, wife of Laurence RORKE, Esq., late of Moat Farrell, county of Longford.


First Day--Tuesday December 18.

(Before P. M. MURPHY, Esq., Q.C., Chairman of the County)

His Worship came into court shortly before ten o'clock and took his seat upon the bench. He was accompanied by several magistrates.

There was a large attendance of professional gentlemen, and the body of the court was crowded by parties having cases to come on for hearing, witnesses, bailiffs, &c.

The Grand Jury having Been called and sworn in,

His Worship delivered an able and eloquent address.....The Grand Jury then retired to their room.

During the absence of the Grand Jury, some undefended Civil Bills were brought before his Worship and disposed of.

The Grand Jury came into court and informed his Worship that two of the witnesses in an assault case refused to give evidence.

His Worship summoned the witnesses into court, and on their persisting in their refusal, ordered them to be imprisoned. They were accordingly removed in custody. The bill, in the case, was thrown out, and the Grand Jury again retired. The Civil Bill business was then resumed. The Grand Jury having again come into court, and handed up their bills. His Worship released them from further attendance.

The criminal cases then came on for hearing; but, with the exception of three, they were all undefended--the prisoners pleading guilty.

The three defended cases were then gone into, and petty juries sworn for the purpose. They were, however, of no importance, and were disposed of in a short time--one a charge of robbery preferred, by a man from Monaghan against a young lady for easing him of £47, in which the complainant, under the inquisitorial powers of Mr. Knipe...pleaded guilty to the swallowing of nineteen glasses of ale, five "half-once" of whiskey, two "dandies" of punch, a tumbler of a "scaul theen," and share of a pint of whiskey--rather a respectable allowance for one day.

Second Day--Wednesday

Some ejectment cases were disposed of in the early part of the day.

Lord Annesley v. M'CAFFREY and others

This case was heard on Tuesday, but the Court deferred judgment till this day. It was an action brought by the Right Hon. Lord Annesley to try a question of title as to the rent to be paid for a certain portion of a property purchased by him in the Incumbered Estates Court. The rent specified in the original lease (1795) was £13, but from 1819, or thereabouts, a reduced rent of £4 was accepted by the then landlord. The property had been since been sold several times, and under four successive proprietors only the reduced rent of £4 was paid by the occupiers of the holding. When purchased by Lord Annesley, the rent specified in the rental was only £4, though the original rent remained in the lease.

His Worship in delivering judgment, said he felt great hesitation in deciding so important a question as that involved in the present case...He cited analogous cases in support of this view. If the rental was not to be decisive, the Incumbered Estates Court would be a curse to the country. He would dismiss the case.

A discussion ensued between the Court and counsel on both sides as to the form of dismissal... His Worship said he would give a dismiss as to the increased rent--the question to be tried at the next Assizes...No blame could be attached to Lord Annesley or his agent, Mr. MOORE, for bringing this action. The question required a speedy settlement.



This was an action brought by General FLEMING (whose agent, Mr. CUNINGHAM, appeared as a witness) to regain possession of a small house, on his property, at Ballinagh, held by the defendant, M'KEOWN

Mr. M'GOVERN appeared for M'KEOWN, and Mr. E. ARMSTRONG for the plaintiff.

The case against M'KEOWN was at once dismissed, on the counsel showing that Mr. POLLOCK was the responsible defendant, by producing the lease, which was admitted.....After several efforts were made by his Worship (who acted most kindly in the matter) to change Mr. CUNNINGHAM's determination, a decree was given against the defendant, Mr. M'GAURAN advising him to sell one of his holdings.



This was an action brought by a man named BEATTY, a hawker, against the defendant, Constable James M'CARTHY, for having illegally arrested and imprisoned him, at Stradone, on the 11th December, without any warrant or just cause; and also for illegally seizing and keeping possession of articles belonging to plaintiff. Damages were laid at £20....His Worship said he would dismiss the case. It would be subversive of all law and government if the police were interfered with, or not protected, in carrying out the instructions received by them for preserving order in the county. He considered M'CARTHY has merely obeyed the orders given to him, and that he had not exceeded his duty.

THE MAGEE COLLEGE--The late Rev. Richard DILL has left a munificent bequest to the Magee College. We understand that the sum immediately available amounts to about £7,000; and that on the deaths of certain relatives who have a life interest, the greater portion of the residue of his estate is to be inherited by the same institution, to which he has also bequeathed his valuable library. His name will thus be handed down to the latest posterity in connexion with the Derry College--"Banner of Ulster."

CO. WESTMEATH.--On Tuesday night a party of Ribbonmen waylaid and cruelly beat a man named M'MANUS, on his way home to Seven Churches, from the Athlone market. M'MANUS was proceeding quietly along the road, seated on his car, when as he passed the gate of Fardrum, about three miles from Athlone, a party of three men rushed out from behind a hedge, dragged the unfortunate M'MANUS into the middle of the road, and commenced to beat him evidently with the intention to murder him... M'MANUS, however, is likely to recover; but so great is the terror which this lawless society has spread through the country, that although many persons must have passed during the committal of this outrage, there is yet no clue to the perpetrators of it.

On Wednesday night last a party attacked the house of a small farmer named CRAIG, within a mile of Athlone. The windows and doors were completely demolished, and the owner's life threatened. Four persons have been arrested and identified as being foremost in the party.

On Tuesday night last, as Messrs. MURTAGH's carriers were returning from Mallymahon to Longford, when passing through the town of Keenagh, an altercation took place between two of the drivers named CALLAGHAN and REILLY, in the heat of which the latter struck the former on the head with the handle of a loaded whip, which broke his skull, causing instantaneous death.--"Westmeath Guardian."

January 8, 1959

CO. LOUTH--A YOUNG WOMAN BURNED TO DEATH.--An Inquest was held on Monday last before James P. NEARY, coroner, on the body of a young woman named Ellen KELSH, daughter of Mr. L. KELSH, of Almondstown, in the parish of Walshestown, in this county. The young girl, who was about fifteen years of age, met her death under the most distressing circumstances. It appeared from the evidence produced that she resided with a respectable widow, a Mrs. CONDRA, of Garrula, near this place, who had adopted her as her daughter some years ago, on the death of her husband and children. On Sunday, while Mrs. CONDRA was absent at chapel, and Miss KELSH alone in the house, the latter rather incautiously approached too near the fireplace to attend to some cooking matters, and one of those accidents, which are of frequent occurrence latterly, took place. The front of her dress caught fire, and the alarmed young woman fled into the air, screaming. It appeared also that for some time there was no person in the vicinity of the catastrophe, and the flames made inroads. The first person whose attention was caught by her screams was a mere lad, who, with the assistance of a small girl, and with extraordinary coolness, placed Miss KELSH on the ground and applied wet straw to the flames. Dr. DREW and a clergyman were shortly afterwards at the house of Mrs. CONDRA. The usual restoratives were applied by the former, but it was found that the young woman was dreadfully burned, and she expired on Monday morning. Considerable grief is felt in this neighbourhood, Miss KELSH being an admirable young woman.

FATAL ACCIDENT--CORONER'S INQUEST AT DROGHEDA--DROGHEDA, JAN. 4.--An inquest was held this day before James Patrick NEARY, Esq., at the house of Mr. Thomas WOODS, of this town, on the body of a man named Stephen HUERDINE, which was taken from the Boyne on yesterday. Captain GARDINER of the Constabulary, had a very sensible jury provided, and, with Head-Constable MURTAGH and a number of the police force, attended the inquest. The deceased was a sailor on board the Lewtas. About eleven o'clock, he tumbled into the water and was lost. A verdict in accordance with the facts was returned.


Magistrates present--Theophilus Thompson, Esq., Chairman, William Babington, Esq., Robert Erskine, Esq., William Humphreys, Esq., William M. Hickson, Esq., R.M., and Major Moore.

James FLOOD v. Constable RUDDOCK.

The charge preferred by FLOOD against the constable was that the latter had entered his house, in the townland of (blank), on Christmas eve, and taken therefrom a bottle of whiskey, which complainant stated he had purchased in Mr. SMITH's, of this town, on the 21st instant.

Constable RUDDOCK objected to the case being heard by their worships, as he had a summons pending against FLOOD for having illicit whiskey in his possession, and, as he could not by any schedule discover in which petty sessions district the townland was situated, he had taken it for granted that Ballyjamesduff was the proper one, and he had in consequence got the summons issued for having the case heard in that court. Owing to this circumstance, and believing that both cases would be disposed of at the same, he was not prepared for his defence....After some discussion, the bench decided on hearing the case.

Constable RUDDOCK, however, still demurred, as he had not all his witnesses in court. Mr. Armstrong, who appeared for FLOOD, objected to a postponement, on the ground that RUDDOCK had been served in proper time...The case was then proceeded with, and James FLOOD was sworn. He said he recollected the Tuesday before Christmas; was in Cavan on that day, and bought a bottle of whiskey at Mr. SMITH's public-house; took it home, and put it into a chest; had not uncorked the bottle...was not in the house when the constable and three men came to it, but when he found they had taken the whiskey away, he went after them and found them at a house convenient to his own; witness asked them what they took the whiskey for, and asked them to return it; the serjeant told him it was "potheen".....Mr. SMITH, the publican, was next examined, and deposed to having sold a bottle of whiskey to plaintiff on the market day before Christmas, but it was not "potheen".

No witnesses were examined for the defence; and their worships, after a short consultation, decided on dismissing the case.

John CUSACK v. Constable RUDDOCK

This was a similar charge against RUDDOCK; and their worships, after hearing the evidence of the prosecutor, and that of the publican who sold him the liquor, dismissed the case in like manner.

James M'KEAGUE v. Alexander M'MANUS

The complainant, after being sworn, stated that he was employed by the Midland Great Western Railway Company as night watchman at the Cavan station, and that while on duty one night last week, when the eight o'clock train was coming in, defendant's brother attempted to rush on to the platform; complainant prevented him, and then the defendant commenced to abuse and threaten witness, but did not strike him.

M'MANUS said that his brother drives a car for Mr. REILLY, of the Farnham Arms Hotel, and had leave to go on the platform, and that he was never prevented before. (He (defendant) did not interfere until he saw M'KEAGUE strike his brother with a stick.

The prosecutor said no persons had a right to trespass on the company's premises; but the station master was good enough to allow one driver from each hotel to go on to the platform when a train was coming in.

M'MANUS was ordered to enter into recognizances to keep the peace for three months--himself in 5l., and two sureties in the sum of 2l. each, or be imprisoned for seven days.

A few other cases were disposed of, after which the court adjourned.


(From Our Own Correspondent)


This was an action brought by a young woman named Sarah CONNELL against the defendant, Philip LOGAN, for the support and maintenance of her illegitimate child, which, she said, belonged to him. The case excited much laughter in court, the evidence of both parties being contradictory, and, in some instances, very indelicate.

Sarah CONNELL examined--Knows Philip LOGAN; was not living with him as a servant, but lived convenient to him; had a child by him, which is now sixteen months old; was never promised any money by defendant, but he threatened to take away her life; he attempted to take her life coming from Virginia; was always playing and "tigging" with her until he got the better of her; lived with LOGAN for eleven years; there are two rooms in his house, and she slept in one of them; lives with Thomas SODIN at present; never slept with Edward SODIN, as Bridget CARROLL, her comrade girl, always lay with her; slept in SODIN's room, but always had proper company; there were lies told of her and the SODINs; Mr. WINTER told her not to leave her situation; was ashamed to tell of her misfortune until the whole country knew about it.

Philip LOGAN examined--Knows but little about the plaintiff, and never had anything to do with her; is not a married man; lives with his mother; knows the Sodins well, and was often in their house; his mother never abused him about his connection with the plaintiff; she said she was afraid defendant would take her life, and he was in consequence brought before a magistrate; Sodin swore against him at Virginia, where he was compelled to find bail to keep the peace; never laid rude hands on her in his life; Sodin did not swear that, but she swore she was afraid that he (defendant) would take her life; never watched her at any time; she often remarked that witness was a bad neighbour for not going to see her oftener; heard that she and Sodin were living together as man and wife.

His Worship, after briefly commenting upon the contradictory evidence of both parties, dismissed the case without costs or prejudice.


This was a similar action, brought by Anne COONEY for the recovery of £12, and his Worship, after hearing the evidence of both parties (which was of a conflicting nature, and rather obscene for publication) gave a decree for the full amount, with costs.


At Main-street, Cavan, on the 21st ult., the wife of the Rev. Mr. LINDSAY, of a son.


January 8, Eleanor Anne, the beloved wife of the Rev. Thomas CARSON, L.L.D., Rector of Cloon, and Vicar-General of Kilmore.

At Sydney, on the 31st October last, aged 28, Maria, wife of Mr. Henry WELSH, and daughter of the late Mr. Wm. MOORE, merchant, of this town.

COUNTY WESTMEATH.--MOATE.--A party of men attacked the house of John DALY, a caretaker, a few nights since, on the lands of Kilmanonge, the property of William J. POTTS, Esq., and failing in their attempt to break in the door, retired. DALY, it is stated, recognized one of the party, and has lodged informations against him.


The installation of Alderman James LAMBERT as Lord Mayor of Dublin, for the present year took place on Saturday, with all the customary formalities.

January 15, 1859

MYSTERIOUS OCCURRENCE.--On Saturday last, information having been given to the police that a child named Margaret GARTLAND was supposed to have fallen into the Royal Canal, at Broom-bridge, orders were given to drain this part of it. A large quantity of the water had been drained off without any traces of the child being discovered, when suddenly one of the workmen stated that he observed some object near the bottom. Drags were procured and the object referred to was drawn towards the bank, when it proved to be the body of a man in an advanced stage of decomposition, with about two stone weight of brass, taken off some machinery, tied round his neck. The dress of the deceased corresponds in many respects to that worn by a young man named William GANLY, who left Baggot-street Hospital on the 9th ult, and has not since been heard of. The father of the young man was brought to view the body, but it was so much decomposed that he could not say whether it was that of his son or not. The police removed the body to St. George's burial ground, where it awaits an inquest. The draining of the canal was still continued, and at a late hour on Sunday the body of Margaret GARTLAND was found. It also awaits an inquest--"Dublin Paper."

[The body of the man was recognised on Monday as that of a gentleman named ALLINGHAM, son of Mr. Hamilton ALLINGHAM, wine merchant, Capel-street, Dublin.]


The following magistrates were on the bench to-day viz.:--Theophilus Thompson, Esq., Chairman; Major Moore, Captain Carden, William Babington, A. Brush, D. F. Jones, and William Humphreys, Esqrs.

Constable James RUDDOCK v. James FLOOD

This case, which excited a good deal of interest, if we may judge from the more than usually crowded appearance of the court, was brought by the constable against the defendant, for having in his house, in the townland of Pollakeel, a certain quantity of whiskey (only half-a-pint) alleged to be illicit.

RUDDOCK, after being sworn, related the fact of finding and taking the whiskey, which, in substance, was the same as that deposed to by FLOOD in his evidence on last court day, with which our readers are already acquainted, and stated further that he went on his mission to the townland above-named, from having received information that "illicit practices" were carried on rather extensively in that unhallowed district....

Sub-Constable MAHONE deposed to finding the whiskey in a cupboard; the bottle was partly concealed; to the best of his knowledge it was "potheen.".....

Sub-Constable M'SWIGGAN was next sworn and corroborated the testimony of the two former witnesses.....This closed the case for the prosecution.

Mr. SMITH, publican, who said he remembered having sold a bottle of Islay malt to defendant on the Tuesday before Christmas [Witness here produced a bottle containing some whiskey.] sure the whiskey is not "potheen."..

Major MOORE was then examined and gave the defendant a good character; to the best of his knowledge the spirits seized by the police was not "potheen."

Mr. T. REILLY was next examined, and swore that to the best of his skill and knowledge it was not "potheen."...

The Chairman announced the decision of the bench as follows: Himself and brother magistrates thought the police had acted very fairly in having the case properly investigated; but they were of opinion that the evidence was not sufficiently clear to warrant a conviction; and when a doubt existed in their minds, they, as judges, and jurors, were bound to give the accused the benefit of that doubt. The would, therefore, dismiss the case.

Their worships shortly after adjourned.


(From Our Own Correspondent)

Magistrates present--Samuel R. Moorehead, Edward and William Murray, Esqrs.

Owen M'CLUSKEY, for an assault on Sub-Constable REILLY, at the fair of Cootehill; on the 10th of December last, was fined 10s. and costs, or, in default of payment, to be imprisoned for a fortnight.

Patrick DOWD was fined 1s. and costs for assaulting Head-Constable HARRISON while in discharge of his duty on the 23rd December.

Benjamin WHITTON appeared to answer the complaint of Richard COOTE, Esq., for injuring some fences on his property, and was fined 2s. 6d. and costs.

James WHITELY v. Michael SMITH

Mr. WHITELY's complaint was that he had employed the defendant to execute a decree, out of which he appropriated 19s. 10d. to his own use; all he wanted was his money.

SMITH pleaded poverty, and promised to pay it in a fortnight, to which their Worships assented.

Patrick MARKEY, publican, Cootehill, summoned Alex. M'DONNELL for an assault on the 1st instant.

CLARKE having been sworn, proved a very cowardly and brutal assault, and the Bench ordered the defendant to find bail to keep the peace for five years.

Michael M'QUILLAN summoned James CLARKE and James M'CAUL for assault on the 1st instant.

It appeared from the evidence of M'QUILLAN that he was standing in Mr. MAXWEL's entry when M'CAUL and CLARKE committed the assault.

On cross-examination it appeared M'QUILLAN made some disgusting remarks about CLARKE's mother, who is M'CAUL's sister, which CLARKE very naturally resented.

CLARKE was ordered to pay a fine of 6d., and M'QUILLAN was acquitted.

Their worships shortly after adjourned.


On the 23rd November, at Tuticorien, Presidency of Madras, of dysentery, Dawson MAYNE, Esq., Judge of the Zillah Court, son of the late John MAYNE, Esq., of Runnymede, county Dublin.

LATE MURDER IN DUBLIN--BLACK, the murderer, who was present at the funeral of his victim, on Tuesday, has given himself up, and been committed for trial.


On Sunday morning, about eleven o'clock, it was discovered that an atrocious murder had been perpetrated on the previous night, in the top back room of the house No. 3, Dean-street. The person murdered was a woman named Margaret BLACK, aged thirty, and her murderer was her husband, Thomas BLACK, aged forty, who is a house painter by trade. It appears, from what information could be gleaned, that the deceased had been married to Thomas BLACK for a period of eleven years, during which time he had quarrelled with her frequently when under the influence of drink, as he was somewhat jealous of her, but when sober he was a kind and affectionate husband. About eight o'clock on Saturday night last he went to his home as usual and shortly afterwards took out the deceased on a car.....They left that about nine o'clock and drove home on a car. Nothing more is know of their movements until about eleven o'clock, when a sister of the deceased, named Mrs. QUINN, who, together with her husband, lived on the same landing as the Blacks, came home. When she entered her own room she found the son of the deceased, a lad about nine years old, in her room. He stated that he was turned out of his mother's room by his father, who threatened to kill him if he attempted to return. Mrs. QUINN, being aware that her sister's husband was most violent in his temper when drunk....went into her sister's room, and there she saw Thomas BLACK standing by the bed, having only his shirt on, and his wife, with some of her clothes removed, lying on the bed. She went over and laid her hand on the deceased, and observed that she was somewhat cold, but states that at the time she did not suspect that anything was wrong;....The next day being Sunday, they all remained in bed later than usual...At eleven o'clock Mrs. QUINN had occasion to go out, and she sent the child into his father's room to borrow for her a cloak. On going to the door he found it partly closed, and when he pushed it open he was horrified to see blood about the bed where his mother was lying...and his father was gone. An alarm was immediately given.....This sad event has thrown a gloom over the whole neighbourhood in which it occurred....."Daily Express of Monday."

January 22, 1859

FRIGHTFUL OCCURRENCE--DROGHEDA, TUESDAY, JAN. 18--Since yesterday morning considerable sensation pervaded the inhabitants of this town, from a rumour having gained ground and rapidly spread, that Mr. Patrick KENNY, superintendent of the night watch under the corporation of Drogheda, had met his death by leaping out of the windows of the Workhouse Fever Hospital, where he had been a patient since the 12th inst. The deceased was a native of Castlecomer, county Kilkenny, but he has been in Drogheda perhaps for twenty years, and gained for himself many friends from his remarkable quiet demeanour, and paid the strictest attention to his onerous duties under the corporation for the last sixteen years. He has left a wife and six helpless children to lament his premature death; and I understand not only has his unfortunate wife fallen ill since her husband's death, but his eldest boy, aged eleven years, while incautiously handling a flask of powder on Sunday last, had his hand so shattered from an explosion, that he was obliged to be conveyed to the infirmary. The ill-fated poor fellow was brought to the Drogheda Workhouse Fever Hospital on Wednesday last, the 12th inst., and on Friday morning, about two o'clock, he rose from his bed while in a state of mental derangement, and commenced to run about the wards raving. Having got into the female patient's ward, uninterrupted and very boisterous, he was encountered by two females (nurses, it is said); one of whom he struck and knocked down. He next proceeded to the water-closet, the window of which was open, and precipitated himself into a garden some twenty-five to thirty feet beneath. He was subsequently brought into the house by the nurses, and did not complain of having received any injury. He died at ten o'clock on Saturday night.

DEATH OF CENTENARIAN.--On the 11th instant, at his residence at Dabbycott, near Mountmellick, Mr. Matthew CORCORAN, at the advanced age of 103. His faculties were perfect to the last moment. Mr. CORCORAN was much esteemed by those who knew him, and his reminiscences of Eighty-two and Ninety-eight, when in a garrulous mood, were both instructive and amusing.--"Leinster Express."

January 29, 1859


On the 14th inst., in the 79th year of his age, Mr. James KEETH, of Drunrockedy. He was for many years agent to Mr. LOYD, and filled his position in the church and the world with the most consistent fidelity.


We are now in a position to lay before our readers the evidence given before Mr. W. S. TRACY, R. M., during the recent examination held in the county gaol on the 31st December and the 1st of the present moth, besides the investigation which took place into the case of BOYLE, on the 5th inst.


The prisoners charged on the first arrests were:--James KELLY, John KELLY, Patrick KELLY, Hugh CAROLIN, Henry SMYTH, James DONAGHY, Daniel M'KENNA, David M'VEIGH, Bernard SMITH, John FINLAY, Hugh FINLAY, W. J. MACAULAY, William LAVERTY, William FINNEGAN, Daniel BARR, Francis M'GOURAN, and James HUGHES.

Of the above, John Kelly and Hugh Carolin became approvers, and gave evidence on the part of the Crown.

The proceedings were opened by Hugh CAROLIN (one of the approvers) examined, saith--I am a member of the society called "The Knights of St. Patrick Thrasher Society." I heard it called "The Ribbon Society." The members are admitted by the printed form of allegation being read to them. The printed form No. 1, now handed in, is the same descriptions of form which I saw when I joined the society, and which I believe is used yet. To the best of my judgment, it was similar to the form No. 2, which I hold in my hand. The rules and regulations now shown me are the same, I believe, used now in the Ribbon Society. We had signs and passwords. I don't mind the signs of the last quarter; but I remember some of the passwords, as near as I can recollect, were--"We expect a war between England and France;" the reply to which was, "Yes, the Irish Brigade is on the advance;" "Let each man fill his station;" :The navvies are making preparation." There were also passwords called quarrelling passwords, which were, "Don't be ignorant;" the reply to which was, "I am better bred." There is also a night password, which is, "The clouds are dark;" the reply to which was, "Yes; they are dark as heresy." I know Mrs. M'KAY's public-house. I recollect being arrested in it on the 12th of December, about five o'clock in the afternoon. I was arrested by the police, with a number of men. I know Henry SMITH, now present; he was there then. I know James DONAGHY, now present; he was there then. I know three boys named KELLY; two of them were there then. I know Bernard SMYTH and Daniel BARR; they were there then. I know Hugh and John FINLAY; they were there then, I know William James M'CAULAY, now present; he was there then. I know William LAVERTY, now present; he was there then. I know William FINNEGAN, now present; he was there then. I know James M'GOURAN, now present; he was there then. I know Daniel M'KENNA, now present; he was there then. I know David MacVEIGH, now present; he was there then. All these men belonged to the same society as myself--the Ribbon Society. It was by agreement we appointed to meet at Mrs. M'KAY's It was Henry SMITH appointed the meeting at Mrs. M'KAY's about a month before. Henry SMITH is called "Master" of the body, which is called Lodge No. 12. We were taking some drink when the police arrested us. The members meet monthly, whether they have any business to do or not. Henry SMITH, the master, told us we would get new signs and passwords at Christmas. James DONNELLY is treasurer. A man named Patrick CAIRNS is secretary. Immediately before the police came in CAIRNS went down stairs about the reckoning, but did not return. I was in the room before it was dark. The gas was lighted before it was dark. I have met all I see here charged at previous meetings in Belfast. I have met three brothers, named KELLY, at former meetings of the society--two of them are here, and one of them is not.....

The approvers were then severally bound over to prosecute, and the prisoners were returned for trial to the assizes.--"Northern Whig."

County Cavan Newspaper Transcription Project

Ireland Home Page
County Cavan

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.