Published in Cavan, county Cavan

January 1, 1852

On the night of the 9th instant, a large stack of turf, the property of William SHANLY, of Clooneagh, in the neighbourhood of Clooncarne, county Leitrim, was maliciously set on fire and totally consumed.


The business of this court did not begin this day till a late hour, owing to the non-attendance of the magistrates. At about one o'clock, Robt. BURROWES, Esq., and Captain ERSKINE took their seats on the bench, and were afterwards joined by A. BRUSH, Esq.

After a few trivial cases had been disposed of the following case and cross-case, which seemed to excite a great deal of interest, by the crowded state of the court, was then called on:--

Catherine GORMLEY v. M. M"KEON

This was a charge of assault brought by the plaintiff, Catherine GORMLEY, against the defendant, M. M'KEON, a butcher, residing in the town of Cavan.

Mr. M'Gauran appeared for the complainant, and Mr. John Armstrong for the defendant.

Mr. M'Gauran said this was a very serious charge brought against the defendant, and he would at once call upon the complainant, without any further remarks, to substantiate the charge.

Catherine GORMLEY was then sworn and examined. Is the complainant in the case. was in the employment of the defendant for the last three weeks as servant. Left his service on Friday morning last. Remembers the night of Thursday last. She had retired to rest at the usual hour, and bolted her bedroom door. Defendant broke open the door while she was asleep. She was aroused from sleep by the defendant pulling the bedclothes off her. She asked who was there, and the defendant seized her by the throat, held her firmly in bed, threatening her if she resisted or cried out, he "would pull out her puddings." The defendant remained nearly an hour with her, and during that time he succeeded in effecting his purpose (Complainant here minutely described, with much apparent modesty, the mode in which the outrage was committed.) Had connexion with her only once. Defendant left her bedroom taking her clothes with him. Sat up on the side of her bed crying all night. Did not obtain her clothes until after the defendant had got his breakfast and went out. Got her clothes and took some breakfast, and went to her father's house in Cavan, who was working out at Drumealis. Told her mother of the outrage which had been committed on her. Went and told her father afterwards, who got a summons issued against the defendant.

Mr. John Armstrong, on the part of the defendant, cross-examined the complainant at some length, in the course of which she admitted she had been discharged from the service of Mrs. FLEMING, with whom she had been living for three months, in consequence of certain "billing and cooing" which had passed between her and the servant boy, which ended in the aforesaid servant boy committing the heinous crime of kissing her, which afterwards resulted in a "falling out" between the lovers. She had on that particular night of the outrage, she said, bolted the bedroom door. The bolt was merely a small finger bolt. Was not afraid of stopping (sic) in the house with defendant. Did not expect an old man like him would commit such an outrage. There had been some cousins of defendant's on a visit to him, but they had departed before the night of the assault. She was asleep when the defendant came into the bed-room. He held her down while he committed the outrage. She screamed loudly for help, and resisted all she could. No person came to her assistance. M'KEON's house is situated in the centre of the Main-street, with houses on each side of it. Could not get out of the house, as the doors were locked. Did not know where the keys were. Could not go out if the doors were open as she had nothing on her but her chemise and petticoat. Had a gown in the room, but was so frightened she did not remember she had it.

Mrs. GORMLEY, mother to the complainant, was next called and examined. Lives on the broad-road leading to the national school, Cavan. Remembers her daughter coming to her on Friday morning last. Could not say what time it was, but it was not later than 11 o'clock. Her daughter seemed agitated. She asked her would she take some breakfast. She replied she had got breakfast enough, and her daughter then related to her the outrage that had been committed on her. She then told her daughter M'KEON must support her. Sent her to her father to tell him, as he had said when she was hired if any one would ill-use her he would make them suffer.

Adam GORMLEY, father of the complainant, was examined, and corroborated the statement of his daughter.

Mr. Armstrong was about to ask some question, but on the bench intimating their intention of granting informations against the defendant, he refrained, as he conceived it would be prejudicial to his client.

Mr. M'KEON was then admitted to bail--himself in £30, and two sureties in £15 each, to appear at the Quarter Sessions to answer the alleged outrage.


This was a charge brought against the complainant in the former case, Catherine Gormley, by M'Keon for stealing out of his house a valuable silver watch and a pair of stockings, his property.

M'Keon was sworn and examined--Hung his watch, on Friday last, over the mantle piece in the sitting-room. Went out after breakfast to his slaughter-house, and on his return found his watch gone. The hall door is always shut. No one was in the house but Gormley and a little boy. The girl was left the house when he returned. Found a pair of stockings gone. Has six pair of stockings all the same. The pair found with the accused he believes is his property. Got a summons against the girl. Did not get his watch yet.

Cross-examined by Mr. M'Gauran--Missed the watch between two and three o'clock. Went immediately to Captain ERSKINE before he heard of Gormley's intention of bringing the charge against him. Heard that day (Friday) she was going to make such a charge. Did not make a present of the stockings to her.

M'Keon's servant boy was examined and gave his evidence in a clear and satisfactory manner. He corroborated the main evidence of his master; and said that during his master's absence there were only two persons had come into the shop--Mr. MOORE of Drumealis, to buy some beef, whom he left in the shop till he ran for his employer, and a lad who went into the kitchen, but of whom he did not lose sight. Gormley, before leaving, showed him what she had in her hand, which was a chemise and a piece of an old looking glass.

The constable who got the search warrant found her in Church-lane, an a Mr. ORR's, and asked the accused if she had any property belonging to M'Keon. Said she had a pair of stockings which he had given her. She at once gave up the stockings. Did not get the watch.

Mr. M'Gauran submitted there was not sufficient evidence to warrant the bench in sending the defendant for trial to the sessions.

The bench, however, decided on sending Gormley for trial, but admitted her to bail.

The bench afterwards granted informations against a man named Bryan SWEENEY, for forging the name of a deceased woman to an American bill, which, on the recommendation of Mr. BEATTY, had been cashed by Mr. FAY of this town. And after disposing of some minor cases the court adjourned.

REV. J. MARTIN, D.D., KILLESHANDRA.--Having heard a rumour that a conspiracy against the life of this Rev. gentleman by some dependants had been discovered, and understanding that the prisoner was to be brought up for examination before the magistrates at Killeshandra on Tuesday, we went over there, in the discharge of our duty, to learn the particulars. About 12 o'clock we went into the Court-house, the door being open to the public, and found the petty sessions' clerk sitting at his desk and several other persons present. We enquired of the clerk when the magistrates were to sit, and he replied one o'clock. We remarked that we had some business to transact in the town, and that we would return when the magistrates would take their seats in court. The clerk, at the time, did not tell us that the court was to be private. A few minutes after one o'clock we returned and entered the court, the door being still open. On the bench were Perrott THORNTON, Esq., J.P.; J. HAMILTON, Esq., J.P.; Captain CLIFFORD, J.P.; and the Rev. Dr. MARTIN. The prisoner, a young man and son to Dr. Martin's gardener, was apparently under examination. The magistrates and Dr. Martin, on seeing us, consulted apart for a few moments, when the worthy Doctor, with his proverbial indiscretion, stated that he would not act while we were in court, and referred to the controversy now pending between him and us. The upshot of the matter was, we were turned out of court. What right Dr. Martin, who, although the accuser of the prisoner, sat on the bench, had to dictate or at all interfere with the magistrates' duty is a mystery to us. Perhaps the public, to whom we submit the case, can solve the problem, for we confess we cannot.

We have just learned, by rumour, of course, of the conviction of MAXWELL, the party accused, and that the court bound him over to keep the peace to Dr. Martin--himself in £10, and two sureties in £5 each. This is, by the way, a small value to put upon the life of the Doctor.

MELANCHOLY ACCIDENT--We regret that it becomes our painful duty, this week, to announce a lamentable accident which occurred at Virginia, on Tuesday, the 20th instant. It appears that Mr. Patrick CLARKE of Dunankery, went out that morning, in the full enjoyment of health, for the purpose of shooting crows, and that by some unfortunate mischance, his gun was loaded, went off, and the contents lodged in his arm near the shoulder, lacerating it in a frightful manner. The unfortunate man lingered for a few hours, in the greatest agony, when death put a period to severe sufferings. The deceased was a highly respectable and well conducted young man, and his untimely death is very much regretted by all the neighbourhood in which he lives. His remains await the coroner's inquest.

DEATH OF PROFESSOR CONEYS.--With much regret we have this day to announce the death of Rev. Thomas De Vere CONEYS, A.M., professor of the Irish language in the University of Dublin, and rector of Ballinakill, in the diocese of Tuam. This melancholy event took place in his chambers in College, at three o'clock on Sunday evening, after a protracted illness.


Dec. 21, at Eyrecourt Castle, the lady of John EYRE, junior, Esq., of a son.

December 25, at No. 5, Leinster-street, Dublin, the Countess of Howth, of a daughter.

At Munich, the lady of Dr. CLARKE, of a son.


Dec. 29, in the Church of St. Andrew, Westland-row, by the very Rev. Dean MEYLER, John Edward PIGOT, Barrister-at-law, to Annie, daughter of the late Lieutenant John PRENDERGAST, R.N.


Dec. 28, at Cootehill, in the 46th year of his age, John HORAN, Esq., M.D., after a long and painful illness, which he bore with christian fortitude and resignation. He was universally respected by all who knew him, and had only to be known to be beloved, as was attested by the large concourse of persons who attended his remains to the family burial place at Drumgoon chapel.

Dec. 25th, at his residence in this town, Mr. Thomas HINDS, aged 53.

Dec. 26, at his residence, Rockfield, Thomas BERRY, Esq., one of the Coroner's of this county, deeply regretted by a large circle of friends.

Dec. 23, Mrs. Colonel BOOTH, 29, Portland square, Bristol.

The NATION says Mr. FORE, relieving officer of the Tuam districts, has had notice served on him of the intended eviction (on or before Christmas day) of thirteen families off the property of Mr. O'ROURKE, at Killellane, near that town.

A servant is liable to two months' imprisonment for being absent from home without permission.

Sir Robert Gore BOOTH is about to seek the suffrages of the electors of Sligo at the next election.

The late James STIRLING, editor of the TIMES, was, we believe, a county Meath man.


Mr. William FINCH, of Kilcoleman, gives employment to 150 persons weekly, and never had a pauper in Nenagh workhouse; and yet for the land in his possession he pays 130l. poor rates.

There is scarcely a ship leaves New York that does not bring a great number of the Irish population home.

An engineer named Delman HOWARDS, of Kinnegad, was charged at the Capel-street police office, Dublin, with stealing three gold seals and a gold chain from a watchmaker on Ormond-quay. He was committed for trial.

At a meeting in Dublin for the preservation of the melodies of Ireland, it was resolved to publish several ancient Irish airs, and valuable Irish music, now in the possession of Dr. PETRIE and Mr. PIGOTT.

Mr. M'CABE, editor of the new Catholic paper, the TELEGRAPH, has denied that the English candidate for Sligo, Mr. TOWNLEY, has any connexion with that paper.

Monday, 29th Dec.

The business of this court, which was expected to commence at an early hour, was not opened till twelve o'clock this morning....Shortly after twelve o'clock, his worship, the assistant barrister, P.M. MURPHY, Esq., Q.C., took his seat on the bench.....the deputy clerk of the peace, P. CAFFREY, Esq., proceeded to call over the list of the Grand Jury.

About half-past twelve his worship again took his seat on the bench, surrounded by the following magistrates:--J. WILCOCKS, Esq., R.M.; _______HOLMES, Esq., R.M.; J. M'CULLAGH, Esq., R.M.;; T. L. CLEMENTS, Esq., D.L.; Captain ERSKINE, Captain M. PHILLIPS, Captain JOHNSTON, T. THOMPSON, Esq., Andrew NIXON, Esq. ______BENNISON, Esq., G. L'ESTRANGE, Esq., R. FOX, Esq., G. M. KNIPE, Esq., John GUMLEY, Esq.

The court was at this time densely crowded, and amidst the greatest silence, the following Grand Jury answered to their names:--

Thomas HARTLEY, Esq., Foreman; Patrick FAY, Esq., Edward KENNEDY, Esq., William Moore BLACK, Esq., Francis M'CABE, Esq., Peter BRADY, Esq., James KELLY, Esq., James REILLY, Esq., James MORRISON, Esq., John M'MANUS, Esq., Richard O'REILLY, Esq., Hugh PORTER, Esq., James KENNEDY, Esq., J. LOVE, Esq., Robert WALPOLE, Esq., Wm. NORTON, Esq., T. PHILLIPS, Esq., James KILROY, Esq., James A. FARIS, Esq.

After the grand jury had been sworn, his worship then addressed them nearly as follows:--Gentlemen of the Grand Jury....I would think it unnecessary to address any further observations to you were it not for one fact to which I think it my duty to call your attention. In a paper called the ANGLO-CELT, published in this town, and having very extensive circulation in this county, and other parts of Ireland, a statement appeared seriously affecting you as grand jurors, though, perhaps, not referring so much to you as to your predecessors. The statement arose out of proceedings which were taken against W. A. MOORE, Esq., by a man named M. CURNEEN, and I will now read to you the statement to which I refer. In the comments contained in that paper of the 18th December, I find the following:--

"Since then we have had CURNEEN's letters, which we published, and others; but we confess we are still not satisfied as to the cause of CURNEEN's absence from the Quarter Sessions Court and other particulars--for instance, the variation of his son's testimony before the magistrates at Petty Session, and before the grand jury at Quarter Sessions. There is yet some secret to be unfolded, and this can only be done by a searching inquiry instituted by the government...."

Now, gentlemen.....At the last sessions, during course of the proceedings Mr. Swanzy addressed the court, regarding a case in which Mr. W. A. MOORE, a gentlemen of high standing in the county, and who filled the arduous situation of land agent, was charged with the serious offence of having set fire to the house of an old man named M. CURNEEN, and of afterwards causing him to be severely injured by his (Mr. Moore's) bailiff thrusting him violently into a cot on the lake, and Mr. Swanzy expressed to the court his client's willingness and desire to have the trial proceeded with. It was represented in the court, on the other hand, that the plaintiff, Curneen, could not attend to prosecute, in consequence of indisposition, and a medical certificate was produced in court signed by Doctor O'DONOHOE, to that effect. It was then stated to the court, by the other side, that Curneen was well able to attend, and this his illness was merely a pretext.....[much discussion of the case]....The matter then dropped. The grand jury then retired to their room.

The court then heard the applications for spirit license. Philip BRADY and J. NULTY, of Cavan, were the first who applied--the former applying merely for a transfer, and the latter for a new license, which were both granted. Some amusement was afterwards created in court by the application of a Peter COSGROVE, from somewhere near Swalinbar, for licence, which was, through attorney, opposed by a rival publican, named GOODFELLOW, on the plea that the aforesaid COSGROVE was fined, some few weeks before, in the formidable sum of 5s., for an assault upon this self same GOODFELLOW, and that, therefore, he should not be entrusted with the responsible duties of a retailer of alcoholic drinks. It appeared also from the statement of attorney that the self same Goodfellow had never more than the amazing quantity of a naggin in his house at once, and that, consequently, for the general benefit of humanity in that locality, another "mine host" should be established. To this arrangement Cosgrove demurred His worship not to agree with the logic of master Goodfellow--whom we conceive, is not by any means a "jolly fellow"--and after receiving a good character of applicant and his wife from several parties in court, granted the license. The remainder of the spirit licenses--there being only nine applications, and six granted--having been disposed of, the court proceeded to try the following


Petit Jury--Charles KENNY, James BROWN, Patrick FLOOD, Andrew M'NEILL, Ralph FOSTER, Christopher MORRISON, Thomas GILHOOLY, John TISDALE, John M'CORMICK, James COSGROVE, Thomas BROWN, Joseph TREVOR.

Mary HOLAHAN, Catherine CUMMINS, Rose SHERIDAN, Catherine BRADY, and Mary Anne REILLY were indicted for having feloniously stolen, on the night of the 30th October last, from the barn of Mr. Robert COOKE of Gartnamore, one firkin and three rolls of butter, and Andrew FOSTER and Mary FOSTER were indicted for receiving same, knowing it to have been stolen. The prisoners all pleaded not guilty.

Mr. M'Gauran, acting, in the absence of Mr. B. Armstrong, as crown prosecutor, then called on Thomas COOKE, who was sworn and examined--Remembers the night the butter was stolen. Saw it that night in the barn, and on looking in the morning found it gone. Went to the town of Arvagh on the morning after the robbery, and saw at an early hour in the morning, in the streets of Arvagh, three of the prisoners--Rose SHERIDAN, Catherine CUMMINGS and Mary HOULAGHAN. (The witnesses here identified the prisoners.) The three went into their hut . Saw none of the others. Knew the prisoner Mary Anne REILLY, and met her in a public house in Arvagh and had a conversation with her. She said the butter would not have been taken if she had been about the house; but afterwards said it would be found. Houlaghan, Brady, and Cummings were in the shop at the time Reilly told he would get the butter or the money for it, for a man of his religion had it.

Robert COOKE, brother to last witness, was then examined, and corroborated the early portion of last witnesses statement. Witness went to the prisoner's (Foster') house from information he had received. Spoke to Foster about the butter, and told him his business, and demanded of him if he had the butter to give it up...Searched on his farm behind his house, and found a quantity of butter in a dyke on the land wrapped up in cloths.....

To his worship--Found some butter and a tub, and a child's frock wrapped round the remainder that was broken. Saw the prisoner at his brother's house.......

James M'MANUS examined--Knows the prisoner Foster. Was working in a field near the prisoner's house on the evening after the butter was stolen....The witness was here subjected to a severe cross-examination by Mr. Knipe, in order to shake his testimony.

{Witnesses examined: Michael M'MAHON and Anne COYLE.]

The hour for adjournment, half-past five, having arrived his worship adjourned the court to ten o'clock the following day.


At half-past ten his worship took his seat on the bench...

Thomas COOKE was re-called and examined--Never offered Foster money to become a witness.

Mary HESSLIN was next examined and corroborated the testimony with regard to seeing the prisoners at the public house in Arvagh.....On being cross-examined by his worship the witness admitted that she and Reilly were women of abandoned character, and that she (Hesslin) had been convicted before for larceny.......

The case having been closed for the prosecution, Mr. Knipe addressed the jury on behalf of the prisoners, Andrew Foster and his wife, and then called witnesses who gave the above prisoners a good character.

His worship then proceeded to charge the jury at considerable length....The jury after shortly deliberating found--Mary HOLAGHAN, Catherine CUMMIN, and Catherine BRADY guilty of larceny; and Andw. and Mary FOSTER, guilty of receiving same; Mary Anne REILLY and Rose SHERIDAN, not guilty.

Mary REILLY was indicted for stealing certain articles of clothing, the property of the guardians of the Cavan union. Not guilty.

The court then proceeded to take up a few undefended ejectments. There were 40 ejectments entered on the list. After his worship had disposed of a few of these cases, the prisoners found guilty in the butter robbery were then called up to receive sentence; and his worship after a severe reprimand, sentenced Mary Holaghan, Catharine Brady, and Catharine Cumming, each to 15 months imprisonment at hard labour; and Andrew Foster to 8 months, and his wife 2 months imprisonment.

John CAUGHRAN and James CAUGHRAN were indicted for an assault on James REILLY, on the 22nd June last, at Mountnugent, and also for a riot, on same day and place, and an assault on Simon FOX. Not guilty.

John DOUGLAS was indicted, and that he on the night of the 14th and morning of the 15th December, did steal and feloniously take away four cows, the property of Thomas HEASLIP.

It appeared from the evidence of Mrs. HEASLIP that the prisoner, in taking away the cattle, was only acting under the instructions of the wife of the prosecutor, and that the wife was sending away the cows to her sister to save them from being sold, and her husband spending the proceeds in drink. On Mr. HEASLIP being examined he deposed that his wife and daughter had been carrying on a system of robbery of his goods. The wife retorted, and a regular Mrs. Candie scene occurred--she charging him with drunkness and all sorts of crimes, but finally asserting that she was willing to forgive him all if he would return quietly home with her. His worship finally bound them each over to keep the peace to each other for seven years, and he desired the jury to record a verdict of not guilty, and the prisoner was immediately discharged.

Robert LEECH for stealing three bundles of flax, at Killeshandra, on the 3rd of Sept. the property of S. G. CRAWFORD. Guilty. Six months' imprisonment and to be whipped the first and last week of imprisonment.

Judith LYNCH was indicted that she, on December ___ last did break into the house of James M'COMB of Lisnamore, and carry away a variety of articles of wearing apparel, the property of Elizabeth DAWSON. Guilty. Six months imprisonment at hard labour.

John SHERIDAN for stealing three pair of shoes, on the 14th of November last, at Belturbet, the property of Wm. COSGROVE; and also for receiving same knowing them to be stolen.

The prisoner alleged, in this case, that he had been given the shoes to pawn by the prosecutor's son, John COSGROVE, and he, on being examined, declared upon his oath, that he had not done so. The prisoner cross-examined the witness at great length and with some ability, but did not succeed in shaking his testimony. The pawnbroker proved the pawning of the shoes. Guilty of receiving.....His worship sentenced him to a fortnight's imprisonment.

Catherine QUINN for stealing a quantity of clothes, the property of the Cavan Guardians. Guilty. Two months, kept at hard labour.

James REILLY was indicted for stealing a quantity of wearing apparel, at Capra, on the 4th of December, the property of James HYLAND, and also for stealing some meal on same day in same place, the property of HYLAND.........

The jury returned a verdict of guilty...His worship then sentenced the prisoner to seven years transportation.

The court was then adjourned.


The court sat this morning shortly after ten o'clock, and proceeded to hear a few civil bill cases, after which the following petty jury were sworn:--

John MOORE, Bernard GAFFNEY, Hugh BRADY, James KELLET, Samuel BRADY, William PRATT, Thomas ACHESON, James LEVINGSTON, Alexander M'DOWALL, Robt. RAINEY, Patrick Smith, Samuel RAMSAY.

Alice M'GAURAN for stealing, at Drummany, on the 15th Oct., two sheets and three shifts, the property of Hugh FITZSIMONS, and also of receiving same, knowing them to have been stolen. Mary HANDS, an accomplice, and by her own voluntary confession a notorious thief, deposed that she saw the prisoner take the articles. Guilty. Six months imprisonment.

Rose CANNON, Francis CANNON, and James REILLY for stealing, on the 19th June last, one oil coat, the property of Thomas MOORE, of Cavan, driver of the Dublin coach. The prisoner alleged that they had found the coat on the hedge of a field at Mr. ERSKINE's. Mr. M'GUIRE proved the offering of the coat for pawn and his detaining same. Mr. GALLOGLY gave the prisoners a good character, and the prisoners handed in certificates as to character. Not guilty.

Ellen MONTGOMERY for stealing, at the police barracks at Stradone, on 10th November, one shirt, the property of the Queen, and on same day and place, two shifts, the property of Sarah SMITH. It appeared that the prisoner was drunk, and knew nothing of the committal of the crime. The jury, amidst some surprise from the court, found a verdict of not guilty.

Anne DONOHOE for stealing five geese, the property of Bernard GAFFNEY, of Lonogs, on the 17th December. It appeared the prisoner was a fowl-dealer, and she alleged she had bought them at the market of Belturbet, and the constable who arrested her found her running openly before the door. Some merriment was created in court, from the evidence of Mary GAFFNEY, with regard to the identity of an old goose which had been in the family for five years, the witness swearing positively that one of the geese found with the prisoner was that veritable old goose, notwithstanding that the goose, on being brought home, was so ungrateful as not to recognise her. An old lady of the name of Judith, mother of the prisoner, deposed that she gave her daughter money to go to Belturbet to buy fowl, and Judith, with a volubility and eloquence which would have graced any of the learned gentlemen in court, proceeded to address the court in favour of her daughter. The jury, after some deliberation, found the prisoner not guilty; and Judith gave two or three profound courtesies to his worship, shook hands with her attorney, Mr. Knipe, and retired from court amidst the laughter of all present.

Mary REILLY was indicted, that she, on the evening of the 12th December last, did take from the person of Michael MAGUIRE, of Drumhult, four bank notes and some silver; and John DUNN for having concocted the robbery. It appeared from the evidence of the prosecutor, that he was returning from Arvagh, and was met by both the prisoners. The female prisoner, who is a woman of abandoned character, accosted him, and he and her went through a gap into the field, the prisoner DUNN being in the field at the time. He then had connexion with the prisoner, during which she purloined the money out of his pocket, and then threw the money to DUNN, who made off, but was afterwards arrested, and one of the notes found on him. He gave the female into custody. In cross-examination, he admitted he was drinking with DUNN and others that day, but was not incapable. This prosecutor, amidst the merriment of the court admitted he had taken a supper, before he left Arvagh, of herrings and onions to sober him, and washed it down with copious draughts of tea, but denied he had brought Dunn to protect him while with the girl. Several witnesses were examined, and we regret we cannot give this trial "in extenso", owing to the crowded state of our columns. The prosecutor, in the course of the examination, and some of the most disgraceful admissions we ever remember to have heard made in court. Dunn got a good character from a master shoemaker, with whom he was employed, and the head constable of the district. His worship addressed the jury, who found a verdict of guilty against both prisoners. He sentenced the prisoners to ten years transportation.

Susan GAFFNEY for stealing a quantity of cashmere on the 16th of December, out of the shop of Mr. C. W. MOFFAT in Cavan. Pat. WALLACE, and two girls named CRAWFORD and DORAN, deposed to having seen the prisoner taking the cashmere and afterwards dropping it in Mr. PRUNTY's shop, in Cavan, and that they got her arrested and gave up the goods to Mr. MOFFAT. Guilty of receiving the seven years transportation. His worship allowed the two female witnesses ten shillings each, and WALLACE five, and complimented them upon their promptness in getting the prisoner arrested.

Robert ROONEY for stealing a spade, on the 24th October, the property of W. ANDERSON, Esq., of Cavan. Guilty, 3 months imprisonment.

Catharine GORMLEY for stealing a silver watch and two pair of stockings on the 17th of Dec. at Cavan, the property of Mr. Michael M'KEON.....The charge of rape which had been prepared against M'KEON by C. GORMLEY, had been thrown out by the grand jury.....returning a verdict of stealing the stockings, but would express no opinion with regard to the watch as they had no evidence upon that part of the case. His worship would not take that finding, and as there was no likelihood of them agreeing, the jury were locked up, and were sworn and two policemen were sworn and placed at the door of the jury room.

John and Patrick O'BRIEN were placed at the bar, charged with assaulting a bailiff named WILSON, at Arvagh, and for preventing him from discharging his duty. His worship sentenced him to 3 months imprisonment, desiring, however, the sentence not to be put in force in case they again molested WILSON, and after binding them over to keep the peace, they were discharged.

This ended the criminal business at this sessions.

The jury agreed to a verdict at seven o'clock, and found Catherine GORMLEY guilty of larceny of the watch and stockings.


The court was occupied the whole of this day hearing civil bill cases.

His Worship sentenced GORMLEY to one month's imprisonment.

January 8, 1852

UNITED STATES - WASHINGTON, D.C. December 24, 9 am "The Capitol is in flames!" The fire was discovered about daylight this morning. Already the valuable Library of Congress is destroyed. Weather cold and frosty, water scarce, and impossible to use engines.

An atrocious outrage was perpetrated on Tuesday last at the house of Mr. (sic) LEWIS, a widow, lessee and keeper of the Coughton toll-gate, about half a mile from Alcester. The only inmates of the house were Mrs. LEWIS, her grand daughter, nine years old, and a youth aged fifteen years. About one o'clock in the morning, Mrs. Lewis was awoke by a call of "Gate," and on going to the window she saw two men leading two horses. After coming down stairs, and whilst in the act of opening the front door, one of them struck her on the head three times with a bludgeon. She instantly cried, "Murder," and attempted to close the door, but her exertions were unavailing; the door was burst open, and the man who had struck her rushed into the house. Mrs. Lewis struggled with her assailant, and succeeded, with the help of her little grand daughter, and laid hold of the robber - in wresting the bludgeon from him, not, however, before he had aimed a blow at the girl's head, which would undoubtedly have been fatal had it not been warded off by the arm of Mrs. Lewis, which was factured (sic) by it. The fellow who kept watch outside handed his comrade another bludgeon, by which time Mrs. Lewis and her grand daughter had gained the inside of the staircase door, and the youth, who was upstairs, calling loudly for help, the ruffians decamped, taking with them what they thought was the cash-box, but which contained only a few articles of little value, the box which they wanted remaining in the room, with a large amount of money in it.

A man, named TURNER, who has been for some years in the habit of collecting rents for a widow lady named BARNES, who lives with a relative named BANNISTER, a clergy man of the Church of England, at Fieldhouse, Belper. Turner having been a defaulter to a considerable amount, Mrs. Barnes sent him a note to say that he would not be allowed to collect any more rents, and that he was to consider himself discharged from his situation. On Saturday evening last he went to a provision-shop and borrowed a large carving-knife. He went straight to her residence, pushed by her servant, rushed upstairs, and returning was met by the girl and Mr. Bannister, both of whom he attempted to stab; they warded off the blows, however, and going upstairs found Mrs. Barnes with her head nearly severed from her body, and one of her thumbs cut off. The murderer has been arrested.

TRANSATLANTIC PACKET STATION. - The English government, it is stated, have just granted a charter for a steam company to run steam vessels between Galway and Halifax. - Morning Chronicle.

SERIOUS ASSAULT--A man named O'BRIEN was admitted into our County Infirmary, on Tuesday, whose life is at present in great danger from injuries he received by the blow of a hammer, received in a drunken quarrel. It appears that O'BRIEN and a person of the name of BURNS was fighting in the street at Butlersbridge, on the night of the 1st of January, both being inebriated, and that a friend of Burns's, a man named James MURPHY, rushed forward, and struck O'BRIEN a violent blow with a hammer on the head. Murphy, we believe, has been arrested.

On the 4th instant, aged 3 months, John Robert, the dearly beloved infant son of Mr. Robert GRAHAM, of Cootehill.

January 15, 1852


On the 5th instant, in the Presbyterian Church, Carrickmacross, by the Rev. Thomas GIBSON, Mr. Andrew NELSON of the Lodge, to Jane, second daughter of Mr. William DAVIDSON of Loughfen Cottage, Carrickmacross.


On the 7th instant, at his residence, Storm Hil, County of Armagh, after a short but most painful illness, borne with Christian resignation, Abraham KIDD, Esq. He died in perfect peace.

At Cootehill, on Friday, the 9th inst., Mrs. Elisabeth M'DERMOTT, wife to Charles M'Dermott, Solicitor, aged 75 years. Mrs. M'Dermott was Mother-in-law to the late Captain Jasan HUDDARD (?), of Bawnboy, and aunt to Charles M'Mahon of Carrickmacross, in the county of Monaghan, Solicitor.

On the evening of the 1st inst., the wife and sister-in-law of a man named HANNA, resident at Mullshara distant about four miles from Monaghan were drying and preparing flax for beetling and scutching, when by some mischance a portion of the fibre caught fire and communicating with that which was already dried and beetled, the whole was instantly in a flame. Hanna rushed into the midst of the fire, and brought out his wife, returning almost immediately for her sister, whom he carried out dead. Mrs. Hanna died also within a few moments after. Hanna was himself much injured by the conflagration.

EMIGRATION. - On Wednesday night seven dray loads of emigrants passed through the town en route to Waterford, and were followed on Thursday evening by four loads more, pursuing the same route, and for the same destination. After this who will think of stopping emigration, when the laws of nature are set at defiance by those who brave all dangers and suffer every privation to escape from a land from whence even hope seems to have flown? - Clonmel Chronicle.

The Louth Advertiser states, that Owen HAMILL, in whose possession the police discovered the gold watch of Mr. Eastwood, with a seal and part of the broken guard-chain attached, has been fully committed to Dundalk jail for trial. Hamill had been employed on a portion of the Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway, within about half a mile from the place where Mr. Eastwood was assailed.

The Lord Lieutenant, on the recommendation of the Lieutenant of the county, has been pleased to appoint John Hervey ADAMS, Esq., of Loughbawn, county Monaghan to the Commission of the Peace for the county of Cavan.

January 22, 1852


January 17, at Jenkinstown House, Lady Elisabeth BRYAN, of a daughter.

January 17, at Belfast, the wife of Robert Maltland BEATH, Esq., of a daughter.

January 18, at Carberry Island, Athlone, the lady of Edmond Diggee LA TOUCHE, Esq., of a son.

January 14, at Glenbank, Belfast, the wife of James SHAW, Esq., of a son.


January 22, in Belturbet Church, by the Rev. Andrew M'CREIGHT, Robt. LAW, Esq., 31st Regt., eldest son of Lieut. Col. Law, K.H., to Fanny DOYNE, relict of the late Walter Maldon MOLONEY, Esq., and only daughter of the late Francis THOMPSON, Esq., of Killabandrick, in the county of Cavan.

At the Church of the nativity, New York, on the 9th November, William BOYLE, Esq., late of Dublin, to Kate, youngest daughter of the late Walter PLUNKET, Esq., Julianatown, couty Meath.

Jan. 8., at St. Mary's Church, Blechingley, surrey J. TUITA, Esq., late of H.M. 15th regt., and only son of Hugh M. Tuita, Esq., late M.P. for the county of Westmeath, to Ellen Mary, eldest daughter of the Rev. C. Fox, M.A., Chawner, Rector ofBlechingley.

Jan. 10, at Castletown Curch, Queen's County, Thomas BOOKER, of Clonleeson, in the County of Meath, Esq., to Jane, second daughter of the late William KIDD, Esq., of Maiden.

On the 14th inst. at Rossorry Church, by the Rev. Robert JOHNSTON, Rector, Mr. Thomas ELLIOTT, Blackliou, Mary Anne, daughter of the late John GAMBLE, Esq., Lenaghan.


On Friday last, greatly regretted, Stewart WHITTAKER, Esq., for many years stamp distributor for the counties of Fermanagh and Cavan, and Registrar to the Fermanagh County Infirmary. He was in the widest sense of that expressive term, an honest man. His disposition was of that kindly and obliging stamp, that no public officer ever discharged his duties to the more perfect satisfaction of the community.

POPULATION OF DERRY. - It has been ascertained from the late census returns that the population of Derry has increased during the last ten years in the ratio of 33-3/4 per cent. This fact speaks favourably for the improvement of the city, notwithstanding the falling off in the rural population. The present population of Derry is 20,285.

The Irish linen export trade is very active this month.

One of the most destructive fires ever remembered in the district occurred on Wednesday night, at Cootehill Mills, Montrath, Queen's County, - the property of Messrs. W. ROE and Sons. The fire was burning for fie hours, before the flames could be extinguished by the people and police, whose exertions were praiseworthy. The damage done is estimated at £3,000. but this is amply covered by the insurance. Proble (sic) cause of the fire, excessive friction of new machinery.

January 29, 1852

ARMAGH REGISTRY OFFICE. - On Tuesday night the office of the Registrar G. SCOTT, Esq., was burglariously entered by two young thieves, named HOGAN and MORNEY, and plundered of two checques of £1,000 each, and £15 in cash. They were subsequently arrested on suspicion by Head Constable M'CARRON, at Lurgan, and after appearing before a magistrate were committed to Armagh gaol. - Ulster Gazette.

ARMAGH GARRISON. - It is anticipated that, in consequence of the systematized outrage in districts in and conterminious with the county Armagh, the town of Armagh will be restored to her old military position as head-quarters.

CURIOUS INVENTION. - A coachmaker, named BURKE, who resides above the Military Walk, Limerick, has invented a wonderful machine, which, when complete, it is said, will supersede steam-power for propelling railway carriages and vessels at sea.

CORONER'S INQUEST. An inquest was held today (Thursday) before William POLLOCK, Esq., coroner, on the body of Patrick O'BRIEN of Butlersbridge, deceased.

The following gentlemen were empanneled as jurors: - Thomas MATTHEWS, John MONTGOMERY, T. BRADY, Edward MALLON, James PAGET, Thomas MASTERSON, John FARRELLY, John DOWNEY, Patrick BRADY, James SMITH, Christopher MOFFATT, John M'DOWELL.

The witnesses examined were - Philip NULTY, Butlersbridge, James JONES, Butlersbridge, John GILLAN, Butlersbridge, Eliza JONES, Butlersbridge.

Dr. COYNE deposed having been sent for to see deceased, and recommended him to be removed to the infirmary. Dr. ROE, surgeon for the county infirmary, gave a clear, and lucid statement respecting the wound deceased had received, the disease to which it gave rise, and which he believed resulted in death.

The following verdict was unanimously rendered by the jury:- "That deceased, Patrick O'Brien, came by his death in consequence of a blow inflicted on him by James MURPHY, on the 1st January inst., at Butlersbridge, county CAVAN."

KELLS UNION. The guardians met on Saturday the 24th Jan. 1852. Richard ROTHWELL, Esq., in the chair. Other guardians present - Thomas BARNES, Richard CHALONER, John DALY, John CHRISTIE, James ARMSTRONG, George BOMFORD, Francis M'DONAGH, Peter O'REILLY, John RADCLIFF, Hugh LYNCH, Isaac ROUNDTREE, and Samuel SMITH, Esq. STATE OF THE HOUSE. Master's Report - In the house per last return, 1065; admitted since, 38; discharged, 29; died, 2; remaining on the 24th inst. 1072. Doctor's Report - In infirmary, 158; in fever hospital, 37; total, 195. Cost of provisions and necessaries consumed during the week, £58 19s 9-1/2d; average cost of a pauper for the week, 1s 1d; do. In infirmary, 1s 6d.

On the 7th January, 1852, at his residence, No. 181, Third Avenue, New York, in 55th year of his age, Mr. William ADAMS, late of Glassdromond in the county of Cavan.

County Cavan Newspaper Transcription Project

Ireland Home Page
County Cavan

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.